We're your favorite full-stack web developers.

Codesushi is a skilled Scrum-driven team of Symfony2 web development ninjas. We pride ourselves on our technical expertise and ability to deliver effective solutions using our skills in PHP, AngularJS, MySQL, XHTML, HTML5 and CSS.

We have experience working with countless third-party APIs, and can serve as your in-house technical team, putting you firmly in control of the creative process and helping deliver a full package of technical services to your clients.We are a highly skilled scrum driven team of Symfony2 web development ninjas. We pride ourselves on our technical expertise and ability to implement the correct solutions using our skills in PHP, AngularJS, MySQL, XHTML, HTML5 and CSS. We worked with tons of 3-rd party API's and we can be your in-house technical team, putting you firmly in control of the creative process and delivering a full package of technical services to your clients.

Los Angeles, CA
Headquarters
  • Codesushi.co
    8072 Melrose Ave.
    Los Angeles, CA 90046
  • Codesushi.co

Outsourced Development Support for Digital Agency

"They differentiate themselves because of their quality control."

Oct. - Dec. 2016

CodeSushi provides additional support to a digital marketing agency's in-house development team. One project involved the development of an online ordering system wherein CodeSushi was responsible for implementing the API backend.

Sarasota, Florida
Danny Watts
Partner, atLarge Inc.

Since the system was implemented, the client has doubled their increase in revenue. Process-wise, CodeSushi established a strong workflow and responded to any bugs or changes in a timely fashion, freeing up time for the client to focus on work beyond the very detailed level.

I’m a partner at a digital marketing agency called atLarge, Inc. We primarily do web application development, website development, e-commerce systems, customer support systems, email marketing, and digital media buying.

What challenge were you trying to address with CodeSushi?

They are helping us augment our internal development team because we have a need to scale up and down quickly.

Over the past year, we’ve been using CodeSushi exclusively for our resources. The largest project we’ve done with them is an online ordering system for a sports academy. They handle the dominant portion of the development of the system. It is based in Angular with Symfony2 backend for the API that synchronizes with their Microsoft Dynamic CRM [customer relationship management]. It’s a multistep ordering system where customers can purchase sports camps for youth or adults. They can do so for one or more athletes across nine different sports. The system streamlines the user experience around purchasing a pretty complicated product.

CodeSushi has a wide scope of services. We have a team member in-house that lives in the UK. He and some of our team collaborated on the project, but CodeSushi did most of the development work. The client handled the designs. As the agency at-large, we did the user experience, the technical specifications, and some of the development on the API. CodeSushi did all the of CSS and Angular development while we collaborated on the API. The whole group worked on the more complicated parts of the project like the credit card gateway for PTI compliance.

How did you come to work with CodeSushi?

We were looking for an in-house frontend developer and CodeSushi responded to our post. We specialize in Angular, Drupal and Symfony and they specialize in the same stack. I liked Anton and we did a few small projects together and got a feel for working with each other. Then we started doing some larger projects. We were having a performance issue with one of the platforms and one of their developers is a genius level Symfony programmer. He was able to figure out what nobody else could.

We started working with CodeSushi in November 2015. This particular project started October 2016 and we launched in December 2016.

The big metric for us on the agency side is called chargeability. That is the percentage of time that we can confidently bill. For example, if we know a professional resource can do a task in a day and we have similar tasks that validate that, we won’t charge a client if a junior resource takes two days; we charge them one day. If we knock down half their time, their chargeability is 50%. CodeSushi has consistently been 100% and we have confidence in the amount of time their work takes. They’ve never charged an unreasonable amount of time. On the client side, they’ve doubled their increase in revenue.

How did CodeSushi perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager on their end was Damien. He understands the business requirements and what is necessary from a design perspective. They keep their time logs updated so we can stay on budget. I’ve been very impressed with his ability to translate requirements. We have a pretty regimented task flow system.

What did you find most impressive about CodeSushi?

I think they differentiate themselves because of their quality control. I very rarely have to send them large bug reports on their work. By the time I get it, they’ve already QA’d everything and it makes my job a lot easier. Having built trust with them and knowing they’re releasing something high-quality, I’ve stopped reviewing everything at a detailed level. Their whole team is great. When Christoff figured out the one issue that no one else could in one day, that’s when we really starting taking them on as one of our only contractors.

Are there any areas CodeSushi could improve?

I don’t have any complaints, except that I wish they could take on more work.

Overall Score They’re quick and cost-efficient. We all get along and are friends, which make it fun.
    They’ve never missed a deadline.
    We never have to write down any of the time that they invoice us for.
    Quality control and QA has put me in a situation where I rarely have to spend a lot of time reviewing and providing feedback on their work.

Software Development for Start-up

"I've been extremely happy with the product and the work they've done."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

CodeSushi assisted with the development of the client's platform by leveraging an open source tool, called Kanboard. Building a large and custom feature set into this tool allows accounting teams to more efficiently close their month and year-ends.

Texas
Founder, BusinessDay

Though the roll-out is still in process, the engagement has been productive, and CodeSushi even added value by including a test suite. Compared to other developers, their cost is more or less reasonable, and communication has been effective.

I am the co-founder of BusinessDay, a tool that incorporates modern productivity science and research into a tool for leveraging task management to boost team productivity. Our current focus is on enabling accounting teams to close their month and year-ends quicker.

The company was founded in December of 2015 and we are located in California and Texas.

What challenge were you trying to address with CodeSushi?

Both my partner and I work full-time and have other businesses, so we needed to find someone who could quickly implement new features and fixes into our tool.

We had put together a bare-bones prototype but when users wanted new features added or changed, we didn’t have the time to do it. We needed someone who was a PHP expert to lead the development. We first talked to the owner of CodeSushi and then we were given a manager as a point of contact to coordinate the work. The developers were the ones doing the actual work, and the turnaround time was pretty quick. They adapted an existing software solution called Kanboard, which is an open source Kanban tool that provides an API. Using Kanboard as an initial platform, we leveraged CodeSushi to build a huge feature set that was not the roadmap for this tool.

How did you come to work with CodeSushi?

On other occasions, I've gone through different freelance boards to find agencies but never felt I was getting value for my money. After a long process, I found CodeSushi through Upwork. The owner was one of the initial resources who did development for our project this time last year.

How much have you invested with CodeSushi?

We have spent between $10,000 and $50,000 on the project so far.

We began working with them in January 2016 and the project is ongoing.

They added a test suite to the tool, which I didn’t expect. This added significant value and increased our feedback cycle on pull requests. They've also altered a significant portion of Kanboard's internal logic to make it more suitable for financial terms.

How did CodeSushi perform from a project management standpoint?

The managers were very responsive and timely. I would file an issue in GitHub and they would give suggestions on a solution. All the code written has been excellent. There were some minor issues as far as sharing code between our GitHub organizations, but this was resolved quickly.

We’ve worked with one project manager and two to four other developers who are rotated since we don’t have a consistent road map at the moment.

What did you find most impressive about CodeSushi?

They are highly communicative. At firs the language barrier may have been an issue but they have improved by leaps and bounds in the area. Almost everyone on their team is fully fluent in English. They charge a reasonable rate compared to other senior developers considering how quickly they work.

Are there any areas CodeSushi could improve?

Besides the GitHub issue, not really. At the outset, there were some project management issues, but I think they were experiencing growing pains. Having a dedicated project manager has made all the difference!

Overall Score I’ve been extremely happy with the product and the work they’ve done.
    When we set deadlines, they tell us what they can and can’t do.
    I am 100% happy but long-term, I wish they would give a reduction rate if we book a certain number of hours per year. There was no negotiation of the hourly rate through Upwork.
    There were little hiccups. I would have expected them to be more upfront about things, but that could have been due to the language barrier. They’re doing better with that as they grow.
    You’re working on a time delay and most of the people that I would recommend them to are based in the US. You need to be willing to have a longer iterative cycle. They have an office in Los Angeles but sometimes they have to go back to Poland.