UI/UX Design Agency: Enterprise, SaaS, Mobile

We're a UX design and digital brand agency in San Francisco.

From SaaS and enterprise software to mobile apps and marketing websites, we create digital experiences that people love.

We work as one team with our clients in an iterative design and development process.

Services:

• Clay
    300 Broadway #23
    San Francisco, CA 94133
    (415) 796-6262

Sony, Samsung, T-Mobile, ADP, Toyota, Nokia, Merck, Huawei, Uber, Path, Google, Speedtest, SendGrid, Nutanix, VMware, Splunk.

Sony underwater apps

Sony and Wieden+Kennedy tapped SFCD to design and develop apps showcasing the waterproof feature of the Xperia Z series phones.

ADP Web design & Development

We've collaborated with ADP on a large-scale design and development project across web, tablet and mobile platforms.

Project Noah Android app

Backed by National Geographic, Project Noah is the leading community for wildlife exploration and education. When they needed to create an Android app for a new educational platform, they came to us.

T-Mobile UX & Visual Design

We worked with T-Mobile USA on multiple UX, Visual and Icon Design projects.

Gsound iPhone app

We worked closely with the Gsound team to design and develop a beautiful iPhone app for identifying music, movies, and TV shows and discovering related content.

Mobilligy iPhone app

When Mobilligy wanted to design the easiest way to track and pay bills, we teamed up to tackle their branding, web, and iPhone needs.

Goldstar.com iOS apps

How did the top marketplace for live events supercharge their mobile offering? They reached out to us to design their iPhone and iPad experiences from scratch.

Mobile User Interface Design for Security Company

"They’re always on standby if we need their help."

Early 2016 - Ongoing

Clay designed 2 iOS and Android apps: an anti-phishing app for web browsers, and an identity theft predictor. The goals were to create simple UI/UX designs for apps with complex backend systems.

Chantilly, Virginia
Konstantin Bokarius
Head of R&D, Identity Guard

The team is knowledgeable and makes good decisions on UI/UX features. Clay created designs and an interface that has gotten positive feedback from staff. They performed well in terms of project management communication, and professionalism.

I lead the R&D and mobile app engineering teams at Identity Guard. We were one of the pioneers of identity protection in the 1990s. We provided identity protection services, we monitored credit reports and our customer’s information on the dark web, and we provided a lot of other ancillary features and tools. The company is based out of Virginia, but we have a satellite team in Silicon Valley. Our team focuses on R&D into emerging technologies and mobile app development.

What challenge were you trying to address with Clay?
We needed help on the UI/UX side for our mobile apps, and our company didn't have expertise in-house for how to develop UI/UX in the mobile ecosystem.

Clay has worked with us on a couple of projects. One of the projects was an app that delivered anti-phishing features on both iOS and Android. The app basically uses mechanisms in the operating system to block malicious and phishing sites. It’s actually the only app of its kind in both stores where the app provides that protection in the default browser as opposed to forcing the user to use a custom browser. So on iOS you can continue using Safari and our app will help protect your browser, and on Android you can use Chrome or Samsung Internet and stay protected. We wanted the app to be simple on the UI side, but complicated on the internal side to keep everything protected within the default browser. For that project, Clay helped us design a user experience and an onboarding process where Clay created a video that told the user about the app. They helped us establish what the different onboarding screens and main screens of the app should be and how to make it simple for the user. They covered everything from the high level down to the low level, including where the buttons would be positioned.

The other project we worked on with Clay was an Android and iOS app for a new service called Identity Guard with Watson. The new service is a different flavor from the classic service. It uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to help predict when identity theft might occur and apply those technologies toward the problem of identity protection. Clay did the same thing with us. We just didn't have the resources internally to go through and develop the full design and UX. We sent Clay the designs that our UX lead came up with for the web side, and then Clay worked with us to import those designs over to the mobile platform. We wanted to follow the same kind of rough styles and general UI look and feel, but we wanted to make sure it was mobile friendly. In general, Clay would start coming up with an initial set of wireframes, they’d send us the wireframes, we’d get on a call with our whole mobile team, we’d have the UX lead on the call, and we’d walk through every screen. We provided comments and feedback on what worked and what we wanted to change, and then Clay would take all of that feedback, make changes, we’d set up a call a week later, and we’d go through the latest designs. We went through that two to four times until everybody was happy with the finalized designs, and then our team proceeded to build out the features. That’s kind of the process in a nutshell.

After having worked with Clay for some time, we do trust them and defer to them when it comes to mobile UX/UI design choices. We know they have a lot of breadth and depth in the industry, and they understand the mobile ecosystem. We trust them to steer our projects in the right direction without necessarily doing any user testing on the forefront. I think the user testing portion of it is more up to us to get feedback from our customers once the apps go live.

It’s important to keep in mind that Clay didn't do any specific engineering or development for us. We only needed their help on the UI/UX side. Our team has engineers, and we built things based on Clay’s designs.

How did you come to work with Clay?
To find Clay, we went online and just started Googling and made informed decisions from there. I don't think we had any company in mind. We may have had three or four candidates, and we followed them around and spoke with them. I think we were generally just impressed with Clay’s website and their portfolio. We had a general sense of comfort about working with them after speaking with Clay’s lead.

How much have you invested with Clay?
I think we’ve spent $60,000 or $70,000 between the two projects, maybe a little bit more.

That first project dates back to probably the beginning of 2016. We always keep an open purchase order on our side, and they’re always on standby if we need their help. If we need an asset or something, we’ll make a request, and then they’ll send them our way. We finished this latest project with them about three or four weeks ago, but it’s going to be an ongoing project. We’re going to be adding new features to it and expanding it.

We never did a lot of marketing around the phishing apps, the first project that we worked on with Clay. We developed the apps around certain core features and our company kind of SDKed those features. Now we’re looking at offering them to other businesses so they can integrate them into their own apps. We also want to integrate these anti-phishing features into Identity Guard with Watson Mobile Apps, the second project that we built. The first apps we built were free because we wanted to offer protection at no cost to users. We didn't do a lot of marketing, so we never saw a lot of downloads. If we had done the marketing, we probably would have seen the downloads.

The project we finished 3 or 4 weeks ago hasn’t seen a lot of enrollments yet, but we’re still doing active development on it and adding features. They’re doing the same thing on the web side. In fact, enrollment is going to be done in the next couple of weeks. You can't even enroll in the product online right at the moment. We haven't had the opportunity to push this app, get users engaged, and drive adoption. I think that’s going to happen over the coming year. As far as metrics go, I don't think there’s much we can show at the moment.

For the first apps we put out, we didn't do a lot of marketing and we weren’t charging anything for the apps, so I don't think there was a lot of drive on our side to get user feedback. For this new project, we haven't had the opportunity yet to enroll a lot of users to be able to get feedback. To be completely honest, I think it’s a little premature to get feedback. The apps were literally released 1.5 to 2 weeks ago.

I can tell you that on the anecdotal side, our team is happy with the UI for both projects. I think the UI was a little bit simpler on the first project, so I think our focus should probably be on the second one. I can say with confidence everybody at our company who has seen the app is happy with it. It’s a clean and simple design. I don't think we would have been able to achieve the elegant user experience that we have if Clay wasn’t helping us with the project.

How did Clay perform from a project management standpoint?

Clay performed very well from a project management standpoint. We used them for that first project more than a year ago, and when it came time to do this new project about 5 months ago, there was no question in our mind that we wanted to work with the same group and the same team. They’re very responsive; their team lead responds right away. They’re connected to Slack, so whenever we need something, it’s easy to get ahold of them. We’re typically communicating with three or four people at Clay. The project worked out great, and I can't think of any other issues or red flags that came up during our time working together. They always delivered whenever on whatever they had committed to. They were always there as a group on all of the calls that we had set up. They usually had at least two or three people participating and taking notes. I don't recall anything ever slipping by. If our team mentioned something offhand like, “Hey, let’s make sure we change that color,” or “Let’s change that text there,” they seemed to be on top of things and noting down even the little things that we had discussed on calls.

What did you find most impressive about Clay?
I guess it’s hard for me to say. To be honest, they’re the only company in their line of work that I’ve worked with. I’ve never had the need to work with a design company on mobile projects before. I can say that if I ever have to work with another company in the future, I certainly hope that I have the same positive experience that I have had working with Clay. They’re professional, they understand the mobile ecosystem, and they understand what a good user experience is like on both iOS and Android. And for a company like ours where we had our own engineering team and we were only using Clay for UX/UI, it was just a very clean working experience, in the way that they provided us fact sets, flows, etc. They crossed their T’s and dotted their I's. It was a great experience for our entire team.

Are there any areas Clay could improve?
Honestly, nothing comes to mind. We simply didn't have any issues working with Clay as a team. I’m sure they’ll say the same thing about us, despite the fact that they’re our vendor. Their communication was great. I think they’re a great team to use across the board. For a company in our position where we just need help with design and user experience, they did a fantastic job. We didn't have them write any code for us or do any kind of engineering, so I have no idea how they perform on that front. Just from the perspective of UI/UX design, I can't think of anything they would need to improve on.

Overall Score Without a doubt, a 5, for all of the reasons that I've mentioned.
    Clay never slipped on a deadline when we needed something, and they were prompt. Whether it was a call or a deliverable, they were always on time.
    For the quality of work, I think it’s worth the money, but they’re on the more expensive side, so I don't know if it’s fair to give them a 4 or a 5.

Clay understood the right way to develop a modern app. What they sent us, the flows and the access, were of high quality.
    I have recommended Clay to others. We had a great time working with them, and they produced great work.

UI/UX for Social Media Platform

"Clay had great project management, and their quality of work was exceptional."

July - Aug. 2015

SFCD produced wireframes and a prototype design for an iOS social media app, paying special attention to its UI/UX design.

Boston, Massachusetts
Co-Founder, Social Media Platform

As a result of SFCD's contributions, stakeholders perceived the app in a more enthusiastic fashion. Internal staff had high praise for the agency’s strong project management, outstanding quality of work, and attention to detail. They had no criticism, and placed great value on the relationship.

We are an Internet company that runs a teenage social media platform.

I’m the co-founder and chief executive officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SFCD?

We wanted to get wireframes and a first design done for a mobile app that we wanted to launch.

SFCD dug pretty deep in the design process both in UX and UI of our iOS app. They helped guide us day-to-day with what design changes should be made, what we should keep in mind for future design tweaks.

How did you come to work with SFCD?

We reached out to four or five agencies online. One of them was SFCD. We really liked the way they were thinking about working with our project and we liked their previous work as well.

I’d prefer to keep the cost of the project confidential.

They started in mid-July of this year [2015] and ended in August.

It was a good public perception that we gave off. We didn’t end up going with that app then. We discontinued it in mid-September. The majority of the value we got out of it was the perception to stakeholders. We were pleased with the image we were able to create, and a lot of it was because of SFCD’s work.

How did SFCD perform from a project management standpoint?

SFCD had great project management, and their quality of work was exceptional. They kept good tabs on the day-to-day pipeline and backlog that they had in terms of what they had to execute. They did a good job communicating those results to us. The end design from an outside perspective was really high quality.

What distinguishes SFCD from other providers?

SFCD’s availability and attention to client detail are great relative to other vendors.

Is there anything SFCD could have improved or done differently?

I prefer not to answer that.

UX for Social Media Network

"I’m very pleased with the quality of SFCD’s work. It’s outstanding."

SDCD contributed their expertise in UI/UX development to help rebuild a social media network's complex user interface.

Co-Founder, Social Media App

SFCD’s contributions resulted in an app with a large user base and a high average session duration. The agency continued to provide development services, and earned praise them for their startup mentality and comprehensive understanding of technical matters.

Our company is a social media network - an app available on iPhone and Android. We let users introduce anticipation into their media posts.

I am co-founder and Chief Technology Officer [CTO].

What business challenge were you trying to address with SFCD?

There was one main goal we had in mind when we were looking for a development shop. We wanted a company that could create an intuitive user interface with a great design. The user had to feel that they were in familiar water beside the new features we were introducing.

When we met the SFCD team, we presented to them our nearly finished app. It was functional, but the interface had to be reworked. That’s where SFCD stepped in. We showed them the app and we told them where we wanted to be with the app. SFCD brought a fresh look into the app and presented us the concept of how to redo the entire user experience. At that point, designers from SFCD started to draft exact screens and flows and walk through it all with our engineers, and at some point delivering assets to the engineers so they could implement the process.

How did you come to work with SFCD?

My team and I were searching for mobile development shops in New York that specialize in user interface design. We went over websites like Github to look at their portfolio. We invested two weeks just reviewing all kinds of works that you can find on those sites trying to find out what is relevant to what we do, what we like and don’t like. We quickly had no more than three or four finalists. We met with them, and we ended up with SFCD.

When we met, we clicked together. We saw that they understood what we wanted to achieve, and what our challenges were.

The project cost between $10,000 and $50,000.

The bulk of the work has been completed. Now and then we introduce new functionalities and features, and we have asked SFCD to work with us on that.

I can share that our average session duration on the app is high for this industry standard. It’s more than 18 minutes. That was achieved gradually by improving it over time and SFCD was a part of that. It started at 6 minutes, and we tripled it.

How did SFCD perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m very pleased with the quality of SFCD’s work. It’s outstanding. That’s why we keep working with them. They understand tech and the startup mentality where everything is done very rapidly. Everything is agile. We share documents and other files using tools like Drop Box, Basecamp, and Google Docs. Everything moves very quickly with them without sacrificing the quality of the work.

What distinguishes SFCD from other providers?

SFCD is a top notch design shop. They really understood what we were trying to do, and executed well based on those ideas. They’re not the cheapest shop in town, but we definitely got good work for our dollar. It was an investment that was well worth it.

Is there anything SFCD could have improved or done differently?

No, I can’t think of anything.

App Development for Social Planning Startup

"They always come up with out of the box ideas; their user experience mentality is really great."

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

SFCD helped with every aspect of a social planning platform, including design, concept, iOS and Android app development, website development, and launch.

Weston, Florida
Eduardo Escobar
Co-Founder, Konvene

The app had an extremely successful launch, bringing in over 4,000 users, 1,000 active monthly visitors, and a valuation at roughly 20 million dollars. SFCD’s contributions were appreciated by the internal staff, who praised the agency for their high-quality work and excellent customer service.

Konvene is a social planning app that helps users to plan any type of event from small parties to concerts. Users can set a location, choose the type of event, and upload pictures. Users can also buy and sell tickets or create free events with the app.

I am the CEO of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SFCD?

Our main goal is to facilitate social planning as much as possible. We wanted users to only use one platform to plan their social gatherings instead of having to use many other apps.

We started working on the app about a year ago [as of October 2015], and in that time we decided to rework the concept of the app. We had a product that was really basic, and we needed a lot of things changed. That’s when SFCD came in. We didn’t have the best product we could create, so we came in with SFCD to find a way of building a faster and easier way to plan events.

They helped us with every aspect of the app, including design, concept, iOS and Android app development, website development, and launch. They’ve been there from the start. So they helped us rebuild the concept and create what we have right now. They have helped with every aspect of our product.

How did you come to work with SFCD?

I got in contact with their product manager. We talked with him, and we really liked the way they work. Their results have been really good. We had a lot of chemistry with their team and ultimately decided that they were the perfect fit for us.

The cost of the project was $150,000.

We’re still working with them. We’re changing our login process, so we’re currently working on that. Every time we have to fix something, they work with us.

Since we launched four months ago, we already have 4000 users. We have 1000 monthly active users. Right now we’re about to close a valuation of 20 million dollars. We also got into FbStart, which is a program from Facebook that helps startups in their early stages, but are developed enough to enter the market and be profitable. We’ve been in FbStart for four months, which has been really exciting. We have also gotten a partnership with Venmo, to facilitate the ecommerce aspect of our app, which was a huge accomplishment for us.

How did SFCD perform from a project management standpoint?

We work through Basecamp, and SFCD is always on top of the project. If we have something that’s not working, SFCD solves it as quickly as possible. I have nothing bad to say about them. They’re amazing at what they do, and we haven’t had any issues.

What distinguishes SFCD from other providers?

SFCD’s work, designs, and development are exceptional. They always come up with out of the box ideas; their user experience mentality is really great. In terms of the management, they’re always there for us. Whatever we need, they have our back.

Is there anything SFCD could have improved or done differently?

We started the project with one manager, and they switched to another one in the middle of the project. It’s not a big deal, but when you’re already with someone and he knows everything from the start, it’s hard to restart with someone new. They did a great job doing that transition, but it wasn’t ideal.

They’re a bit expensive, but they always give us great value.

App Prototype Design & Development for Financial Firm

"It was one of the most frictionless arrangements I've ever had in my career."

June - Aug. 2015

SFCD assisted the client with the development of their new gamified savings app’s prototype. SFCD completed the project in two months in 2015.

Executive, Financial Firm

The prototype developed by SFCD generated sizeable amounts of interest and was well-received at the large financial tech conference where it debuted. Internal staff appreciated SFCD’s high-quality work and ability to follow through on their promises.

We are a company that is at the intersection of personal finance and gaming.

I am an executive in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with SFCD?

We wanted to develop a prototype of a new gamified savings app. We needed a developer to help us with that project. We gave SFCD really detailed information about what we wanted, how we wanted the prototype to work, the general user flow, and the general design criteria. We wanted the prototype to be used as a tool to show potential customers, but also to display publicly at a major financial technology event. It was partially a design challenge, and it was partially a prototype building challenge.

SFCD was fully responsible for developing the prototype. There wasn't a lot of back-end coding to do, but the design and user interface were important. They mostly used Envision for the software prototyping, which is what we wanted because that's something I could show on Mac, PC, Android, and iOS. I spent about a total of six weeks working with them.

How did you come to work with SFCD?

We had a very short window of about four to six weeks and a very specific budget. I also wanted to do it in the New York City area, and I was the only point of contact for whoever the group was. I knew some companies that I'd worked with before or had spoken to at some point in my life before. I looked at other companies that were recommended directly or indirectly based on some of the work they've done.

I ended up interviewing five different firms, and SFCD was one of the two finalists. I focused on them for a couple of reasons. One is that from a design point of view, I had a very specific design that I liked, and I thought that they would interpret the design correctly. With other agencies, I was concerned that the design would look like everything else that I've seen. I felt like SFCD understood that I didn't want it to look like everything else. I wanted it to have a very different feel, so I thought that was good.

I gave them a very specific two-page document that explained exactly what we were looking to do, and I felt that they grasped and understood that. I could tell that they weren't going to need two weeks of discovery. They understood the concept very quickly in the meeting. Also, from a speed point of view, I felt comfortable that they would be able to do it quickly.

It was between $10,000 and $50,000.

I first reached out to SFCD in late June of this year [2015], and the project was finished in late August, so it took about two months in total.

I debuted the prototype at Finovate, which is a big financial tech conference in New York the third week of September, and it was extremely well received. I've had many people come to me and asked me about this product, which was the goal. This was designed specifically to demonstrate at Finovate.

I've shown this to a few people who run FinTech accelerators, to get an idea of what they think, and they love the idea and execution of what we're doing. It's hard to get a good idea, but it's just as hard to get a good execution of the idea. SFCD made what we thought was a good idea into a great product. We've gotten feedback from banks, brokerages, and accelerators that it's one of the top apps that they have seen in 2015, and that's consistent.

How did SFCD perform from a project management standpoint?

The quality of SFCD's work was very good. Project management-wise, they did the traditional things. We communicated by Basecamp on smaller things. I made it a point to do weekly meetings with them in person, in New York, and they were always available for those. We had a short timeline on it, and I thought they managed it well.

They did everything they told me they would do. They gave me timelines for specific deliverables. If I had an important client meeting, and I needed something updated, they would work on delivering that ahead of the meeting.

What distinguishes SFCD from other providers?

It was one of the most frictionless arrangements I've ever had in my career. It was just very simple to work with SFCD.

Is there anything SFCD could have improved or done differently?

Maybe some small things, but nothing major overall. I would have wanted to handle the design a little earlier in the process. They pushed it a little later. I didn't feel rushed, but I felt there was sometimes pressure on looking at design options. That's a minor thing, and it wasn't much pressure. They just worked in a slightly different order than I would have worked in, but that was fine. They told me that upfront, so it wasn't a big deal.

Visual Redesign of Corporate Identity and Website

"It was clear from their portfolio and client reference checks that they are world class at visual design."

SoftFacade completed a full visual overhaul, including a new logo, redesign of signature research pages, and badges. The project scope will expand to additional pages in the future.

Startup
Founder, Online Research Firm

SoftFacade's modern concept demonstrated a clear understanding of the business and target market. Their approach is informal and collaborative, and they provide multiple options and complementary elements for current and future integration into the site.

SourcingLine is a startup blending elements of traditional IT research with more innovative elements of consumer review services. We cover a range of IT and digital marketing and design markets. I am the founder and managing partner and am involved with all elements of growing the company.

As a startup, we have limited resources and have them focused on developing new research. Consequently, we had underinvested in visual design and it showed. As we started to grow and address markets in the design and marketing areas, we risked turning off potential customers with our poor visual design.

SoftFacade has engaged with us for a full visual overhaul. To date, we have completed a new logo, some redesign of our signature research pages, and badges. In the future, we plan further evolution of our research and directory pages and an upgrade to the design of our home page.

We initially discovered SoftFacade via our research on leading mobile application developers. It was clear from their portfolio and client reference checks that they are world class at visual design. To date, we have worked in an informal, collaborative format. They initially developed a series of design concepts, we picked one and completed a few iterations to refine and integrate into the website.

We are thrilled with the results to date. SoftFacade gets our business and target market. The design concept that we selected, evolved the key visuals on our research pages from a dated "harvey ball" to a more modern "doughnut chart" concept. This new concept was then integrated into the logo. They also came up with some other complementary elements that we hope to integrate in the near future.

Design and Development for Human Capital Management Firm

"They are on top of every project and responsive to us."

SoftFacade provides web development and design for a Fortune 500 HR firm in a multiyear engagement. The website’s main design goals were to be clean and detailed.

10,001 + Employees

Project Manager, Fortune 500 Human Capital Firm

The team has met all expectations set for them in this large project. SoftFacade is very responsive and is attentive to detail, providing high-quality design and development. They are experts in the field and deliver what is promised.

Please describe your company.

We are a Fortune 500 human capital firm or HR firm. We serve enterprise clients and have a global presence.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am a project manager in the innovation lab. I am responsible for managing SoftFacade's design and development work.

What was your goal for the work with SoftFacade?

We needed an expert partner for Web design and development. We needed a strong enough company that could handle our work for a multiyear engagement. They were clearly experts with a strong portfolio so it was an obvious choice.

Did you have a specific business goal in mind with the work?

We wanted a nice online presence with clean design and attention to every detail.

What was your process for selecting SoftFacade to work with?

I looked at their past work, and then had a consultation phone call with their leaders. They put together a nice presentation and made my decision easy. I definitely made the right decision to pick them.

Can you describe the scope of their work?

We just wanted quality design and development work. The scope of their work is limited because we have a lot of other resources being a large corporation.

Can you give us a sense of the size of that initiative in dollar terms?

It was a six-figure project.

When will the work be completed?

It will last as long as we need them to provide their expertise. It may end next June, but could wrap anytime we feel it's complete. We don't need to rush this process. We have a lot of work for them to do.

How was SoftFacade performed so far?

They have met all expectations. They are extremely responsive, and have great attention to detail. That is what you would expect from a design firm, but these guys are very good. They provide high-quality design and development.

Is there anything unique or special about SoftFacade compared to other IT vendors?

I would just echo what I said before. They are on top of every project and responsive to us. They are also technical experts in their field.

Looking back on the work, is there anything that you would do differently or think SoftFacade can improve upon?

I can't think of anything now.

I have already.

Connection Diagnostics Mobile Development

"SoftFacade has world-class expertise in the domain of visual design and user experience."

n/a

As part of a successful ongoing relationship, SoftFacade redeveloped the UX of an Android mobile app to integrate the visual design of its iOS version, which SoftFacade had also completed.

Chicago Metro Area
Co-Founder, Leading Diagnostics Service

SoftFacade delivered satisfactory results for their first Android app development. Although they are not recommended for end-to-end builds, their attention to detail and core competencies stand above and beyond for design and UX.

Please provide some background on your company.

We are a global leader in broadband testing and Web-based network diagnostic applications. More than three million people a day use our software, and we service a number of global 1,000 clients.

What is your role?

I’m the co-founder and director of user experience.

What was the main goal going into the project with SoftFacade?

We wanted to update our user experience of our existing Android application to match the recently redesigned user experience of our iPhone application.

How did you originally find SoftFacade, and choose them to work with?

I’ve been working with them for a number of years on small design and illustration projects. So, when they expressed interest in doing actual mobile app development, we decided to give them a shot.

Could you tell me a little more about the scope of the project, and what parts they were involved in?

The scope of the project, I would say, is redeveloping the user experience of the Android app. The visual design had already been done, and it was done by them, for the iPhone app though they didn’t do the development of that project. So, it was really integrating the visual design they had done for the iPhone project to update the Android project.

How long ago was the project completed?

Their part was done last spring, either May or June.

Could you give a general cost estimate for their work?

I believe it was about $40,000.

How satisfied are you with what they’ve delivered?

It was satisfactory. It worked to specification. Our application was a little bit unique in that it’s as much a diagnostic piece of software as it is a user experience. So, there was still plenty of work still to be done on the actual engine part of the application. But, for their purposes, it was fine.

When working with SoftFacade is there anything that you found to be unique or special compared to other companies that you’ve worked with?

They’re very detail oriented in terms of visual design. They take user experience and visual design really seriously. I think it’s their core competency. Relative to working with most other developing groups, SoftFacade has world-class expertise in the domain of visual design and user experience.

You’ve been working with them for years, but is there anything that you think they could improve upon or you’d do differently if you were to engage with them again?

Yes, I think doing a project like that again with them, we would probably refine the scope up front in terms of device support and past version support. Android can be particularly difficult in this area. I think we had to spend a lot of time after the fact fixing and adjusting the app to support some older devices, and some unique device configurations.

A better question would be what would you recommend them for?

I would recommend them for visual design, user-experience development, and maybe some programming development. But I don’t know that I would really recommend them for a start-to-finish build-out a complete mobile application for somebody. It depends. I think this is application specific, but I definitely recommend them for design and user experience, and I have in the past. I’ll continue to do so.

• N/A NPS
    Are you asking me for purposes of mobile development or design? Because I would recommend them for certain things.

Ticket Sales Mobile Development

"They’re certainly one of the best in the world at icon design."

n/a

Because of a previously successful engagement, SoftFacade was hired to complete the design and UI/UX for a mobile ticket sales app. SoftFacade's designs were implemented by in-house developers.

Portland, Oregon
Partner, Ticket Reseller

The app, which is now in the App Store, successfully mirrors the existing website and has received positive feedback from users and industry professionals. Despite geographic differences, SoftFacade provided exceptional service.

Please provide a description of your company?

We sell event tickets to customers. We get tickets to live entertainment from venues and suppliers, and musicians, artists, comedians, theater, and symphonies, and sell them directly to people.

What is your role?

I am the director of product and partner.

What was your main goal going into the project with SoftFacade?

We have had a website for around 13 years, and we were looking to hire them to do the design for a mobile application that sells the same ticket inventory.

How did you find SoftFacade to choose them to work with?

We first worked with SoftFacade about four or five years ago on a Web project. They’d been our vendor before. I think we originally found them online, and I knew that they’d gotten into doing app design. They were one of the first firms that we contacted looking for quotes.

What was the scope of the project for making these mobile apps, and what parts were SoftFacade involved in?

We had in-house developers, so SoftFacade did all the design and user experience. We provided them with our website to see how the process worked. The goal was to have the app function similarly to the website. They were in charge of doing all the design for it, and they delivered [Adobe] Photoshop files which our developers implemented.

When was the project completed?

We just launched the app to the App Store a week ago. Their design side of it was essentially complete about a month and a half ago, sometime in mid-September [2013].

How satisfied are you with what they’ve delivered?

Quite satisfied. We're pretty happy with it. We’ve got really good feedback from both direct users who downloaded the app and industry people.

When working with SoftFacade is there anything that you find to be unique or special compared to other firms that you’ve worked with?

They’re certainly one of the best in the world at icon design especially. They did a great job all around.

Is there anything that you would do differently a second time around or think that they could improve on?

There’s always a difficulty working with consulting companies, and certainly when time differences are great. They do have people that work out of St. Petersburg, Russia. The time difference can be difficult to work around, but we’re experienced at this point working with them so it’s not really that big of a deal.

• N/A NPS