A revolutionary approach to digital products.

BRONZE VERIFIED

8base Labs is an award-winning technology and services company founded by entrepreneurs and engineers experienced in building high-growth, venture-backed technology companies. We are passionate about simplifying and enhancing the digital product development process for all innovators.

We've worked with customers ranging from startups led by non-technical founders to large global enterprises in almost all industries.

We aim to amaze with a design-first approach and believe in going fast and lean, while never sacrificing architecture or security.

We provide a fully-managed, white-glove service that allows our customers to focus on their business while we partner with them to build amazing digital products.

Contact us at [email protected] or learn more at www.8base.com/services.

Coral Gables, FL
  • 255 Giralda Avenue
    Coral Gables, FL 33143
  • 220 S Congress Avenue #010
    Austin, TX 78704

Web App Backend Dev for Creative Agency

"8base Labs has done great work."

Feb. 2020 - Ongoing

8base Labs developed the backend of a project management tool for a third-party client. They used GraphQL and PostgreSQL, structuring the product such that the internal team is able to update it as they wish.

Drew Baker
Technical Director, Funkhaus

Despite the short timeline, 8base Labs delivered an excellent tool before the deadline. The team's ability to stick to the quote they provided and strong communication skills have made for a pleasant partnership. They are a helpful partner who does work beyond the project scope.

I am the founding technical director at Funkhaus, a creative agency. I am in charge of all the programming we do, which includes design and development.

What challenge were you trying to address with 8base Labs?

A client of ours came to us and wanted to build a web app that's like a project management tool for their client base. They had already sold it to their client and they already had customers in place so when they came to us, they said they had already started building it and wanted to turn it around in a month.

It was a tight timeline, and the only way we were going to be able to do that at Funkhaus was if we divided and conquered.

My team and I did the frontend and 8base Labs did the backend. They started the next day which was really good. I worked with Sebastian (Product Manager) and we partnered up. He ran with the whole backend and I ran with the whole frontend.

We overlapped on some tasks such as email. It’s all GraphQL powered with a PostgreSQL database behind the scenes. It’s written in Node and JavaScript. At the end of it, they just handed off a repo that was all in JavaScript and we’re able to update it as we want.

I only work with Sebastian. They also have a team in Europe, and I spoke to a couple of people on Slack when emergencies would come up to try to solve issues. I also spoke with the CEO.

How did you come to work with 8base Labs?

Before this project, I contacted a bunch of GraphQL as a service companies, and one of them recommended 8base Labs. I worked with them on a couple of side projects. We wanted an alternative to Firebase because we had used that in a few other projects and I didn’t love it.

When our client came to us, I knew that we would do the project with 8base Labs. I specifically liked that they would build it and hand it off to me, and I didn’t have to use them again if I didn’t want to.

The fact that they were building on their own platform was really good. I preferred that as opposed to hiring a development shop to do a custom Node server that only they knew. We also hired 8base Labs because of their speed.

We’ve spent about $30,000 with them so far.

We began working with them in February 2020. Once they completed the first part, we immediately turned around and hired them for phase two of the project, and we’re still working on that.

The tool is exceptional. 8base Labs has done great work, and we’re very satisfied. I hired them having been totally burned by other development shops in the past. 8base Labs stood behind what they said and gave us a quote.

If someone is an expert in what they do, they should be able to put a really good scope in place and be able to provide a project rate rather than an hourly rate and then run up the bill. The big winner for them was that they project-quoted, stuck to it, and stood behind their warranty.

How did 8base Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We’ve communicated via Slack and it’s been really good. I haven’t been a taskmaster; I just trust that the team will do it in a good enough window.

Sebastian has been the key to the success of this project. Our scope was to build the backend and he went above and beyond by giving us advice on how to build the frontend. He has helped beyond what our agreement was. If you can get someone like that on your project, your project will always be better off.

Having some transparency on their product roadmap would be great. They had communicated to me internally, but also having somewhere on their website where they explain where we are going would be great. Otherwise, they communicate well and informally.

I have done a case study with them that they use internally, and I gave them a whole bunch of feedback. If you use 8base Labs, at the moment, you are very much tied to using a third-party authentication provider like Auth0 which is the one they are most integrated with.

You are almost forced to use that provider. If you want to deal with file uploading, you have to also use Filestack which is heavily integrated with their system and I personally don’t like either Auth0 or Filestack.

You just have to be aware going in that you will have to use those tools. The Filestack one specifically is pretty bad because it forces a UI on you. If that doesn’t look good, then you are stuck with it.

I have already recommended them multiple times.

Web App Dev for Sneaker Trading Service

"Their responsiveness and collaborative approach are top-notch."

Mar. 2020 – Ongoing

After writing up a requirements document, 8base Labs worked from existing UX flows, user stories, and wireframes to develop a web app. The team built the product using React.

Austin, Texas
CEO, Tradeblock

Although the app hasn't launched just yet, 8base Labs' services have been incredibly valuable for the business, allowing the internal team to focus their energy on other operations. Not only are they accommodating and proactive, but they are also committed to the success of the project.

I’m the CEO of Tradeblock, a sneaker trading service. We help sneaker enthusiasts and sneaker collectors discover other people with cool collections. We also provide an authentication service when a trade is agreed to.

What challenge were you trying to address with 8base Labs?

We have a pretty strong design and development team but early on, we determined that our idea wasn’t unique. Our number one challenge was how to deliver quality UX and product experience as fast as possible.

We decided to use our internal team to scaffold everything. We designed all the UX flows and our lead developer built the foundational data model. We took that to 8base Labs to develop it from there. It was a progressive web app built on the React framework.

We mapped out the user stories and user flows we wanted to be able to facilitate. They created the requirements doc for us and bounced it over to us and had us review it. We bounced that back and forth for a week or two until we all felt comfortable with it. They then got to work.

I believe there are 4–5 developers. My main point of contact is Oscar (COO). We communicate pretty directly with the lead developer on the project.

How did you come to work with 8base Labs?

My former boss heard about them from a demo day that they did. I was picking his brain when we were trying to figure out who we wanted to use to develop this thing. He said he’d never used them before but he found their pitch to be compelling.

8base Labs’ quote came in significantly lower than some of the other ones that we got. We liked the way the partnership was structured. We also really liked that they had a vested interest in our success. In addition, they use their backend as a service, which we appreciated.

So far, we’ve spent $100,000.

We started working together in March 2020, and our engagement is ongoing.

We’re launching the application early next week. The impact on the business has been massive because it’s allowed our entire team to flesh out the other aspects of the business as opposed to having half of our team deep in the weeds of design and development issues.

Velocity and speed to market are important to us. This project has allowed us to free up our team to focus on other things that are more important. We’ve been testing it internally with our small team, and it seems solid.

How did 8base Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management and communication are good. The team is very accommodating. We have a Slack channel for any issues or questions we have, and they’re incredibly responsive. We use GitHub as well. Also, we were using Figma, which they had never used before, but they had no problem learning it and using it.

8base Labs is really good about tackling little bugs or issues and even ones that weren’t clearly defined in the original scope. That’s one of the things I’d give them the most credit for. They’re incredibly accommodating.

I appreciate that they’re proactive about calling things out that won’t work and often proposing a solution. What I appreciate is when those things happen, there are no conversations about adding more cost to the contract. There’s no pushback on things that are out of scope; they just take care of it.

They have legitimate skin in the game as far as your success is concerned. For all intents and purposes, their development team has felt like an extension of our own team. In addition, their responsiveness and collaborative approach are top-notch.

The big thing they’ve got going for them is that because they use their own backend as a service, they’re able to do work faster and for cheaper because they can spin off the backend really quickly and easily.

8base Labs is able to focus more quickly on the frontend work. I believe that’s why they were able to give us a quote that was significantly lower than the other established firms.

No, there are no major areas I’d have them improve.

You get what you pay for. They’re definitely going to be more expensive than hiring individual contractors to do your development. The payoff, in my opinion, is well worth it. The quality of the output is top-notch.

Overall Score I’m happy with their work and the experience of working with them.
    They’ve done a good job of being diligent.
    For what they deliver and the quality of service, it’s been well worth the investment for us.
    Their deliverables and service are extremely solid.
    I’ve already recommended them to a couple of my buddies in the startup world.

SaaS Platform for CRM System

"To date they have done an excellent job implementing the functionality needed to make this a viable product."

May 2019 - Ongoing

8base Labs is providing front- and backend development to bring a fully integrated product to market as a SaaS platform.

Miami, Florida
CEO, LEADVOLT CORP

8base Labs' platform is still in process, but the team has good communication and project management skills. They use communication tools to stay connected and segmented project sprints. So far, they've had the ability to turn the client's vision into a reality.

Leadvolt is a CRM system designed to aid insurance agents in acquiring new clients via our tailored SAAS product. As CEO of Leadvolt, my vision is to revolutionize how agents acquire new clients.

For what projects/services did your company hire 8base Labs?

8base is handling the the front end design, and back-end development.

Our goal is to bring a fully integrated product to market as a SAAS platform within the next three months.

I was introduced via a personal friend

Describe the scope of the product that is covered by these Software Requirements Specifications, particularly if this document describes only part of the system or a single subsystem. The scope establishes the boundaries of the requirements and should identify clarify features/requirements outside of scope, for example, if certain requirements were not included due to budgetary or time constraints. General • Creation of a browser-based LCRM application that works across multiple browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge).

A browser-based administration module (administration). • Ability to define users with role(s) and invite them to join the application. • Full text search on single data object. • English language only. • U.S. Dollar only. • Ability to capture basic comments at the data object level. On-Boarding and Configuration • Client, agent, employee, and administrator on-boarding. • Includes demographics, image, and key activities. • Ongoing configuration including ability to create, read, update and delete profiles. • Ability to mark a profile as active or inactive. • Setup of new client profiles by the LCRM administrator(s).

Integrations • Integrations with 1 lead source. • Integrations with social media properties tied to a specific lead. o Facebook • Ability to send text messages • Selection and integrations with VoIP solution(s). • Whitepages integration Lead Management • Ability to identify a new lead, assign a new lead, and follow-up with a lead. • Ability to quickly see and act upon Next Actions with a lead. • Ability to track the history of interactions with the lead. • Ability to sort leads into high-to-low priority. • Ability to act on leads owned by another agent. • Ability to see team member status as a manager o Ability to transfer lead to someone else that is available o Listen, whisper, or barge.

• Ability to dial a lead directly from the LCRM. • Ability to send manual text or email. • Ability to see what leads are next in the agent queue. • Ability to take notes on leads and ability to search by note contents. • Ability to add campaigns & develop workflows. Document Management • Ability to attach documents and other files from the file system to the data objects in the LCRM. • Ability to download documents in the platform onto the file system. • Ability to print documents in the platform.

• Ability to preview documents in the platform. • Ability to capture branding-related assets. Reporting and Analytics • Ability to run and view reports online. • Ability to produce a tabular (rows and columns) or graphical report. • Ability to apply grouping, filtering, and sorting criteria to reports. • Ability to print reports and save them as a .pdf.

• Ability to drill-down on reports. • Dashboard capability by role. • Dashboard gamification for employee tracking o Call Volume o Quotes o Closes o Daily, Weekly, Monthly

Team is composed of five people. Programmer, designers and two system admins.

Pending as in process

Project management was arranged via communication on slack and segmented project sprints on design and programming (parcels).

Their ability to turn my vision into a product. To date they have done an excellent job implementing the functionality needed to make this a viable product.

It would be nice to see a visual depiction of the sprints.

Overall Score Great leadership and execution
    Scheduling was not an issue
    The cost was fair when compared to other quotations I received
    The interface designed is as expected.
    Absolutely.

Platform Dev. for Property Management Tech Company

"They’re an excellent resource and the team has a lot of experience working in the technology industry."

Oct. 2019 – Ongoing

8base Labs developed a SaaS platform for property rental application processing. The product is available for desktop and mobile users.

Miami, Florida
William Lopez
CEO, Livo Holdings Group

8base Labs made a positive impact on the client’s business. They acted as an advisor to the client, assisting them beyond the scope of their work. The team was accomodating throughout the process and working independently to produce a high-quality solution.

I’m the CEO of Livo Holdings Inc. We’re in the real estate sector, and we develop technology for property management of multi-family units.

What challenge were you trying to address with 8base Labs?

We needed assistance developing as SaaS platform.

They built a SaaS platform for us that is available on desktop and mobile devices. It’s an application screening and bidding platform. The bidding system incorporates rent amount, move-in date, and term of the lease.

They developed the solution from scratch based on my ideas and illustrations. The project has grown in scope since we began working together. For example, originally, it didn’t include the application and screening process. They incorporated that based on the needs of the market because rental companies want a “one-stop-shop.”

My main point of contact is Albert (Founder & CEO). I’ve worked with several other teammates based both locally, in Florida, and in Russia.

How did you come to work with 8base Labs?

I knew Albert previously. However, I got quotes from a few other agencies to determine who would be the best fit– and that ended up being 8base Labs.

I’ve invested around $500,000.

We began working together in October 2019. The original plan was to finish the development by March 2020. However, as the project grew in scope, our timeline changed. We’re expecting to be done by the end of April.

Their work was highly impactful. They’re an excellent resource and the team has a lot of experience working in the technology industry. They’ve advised me on additional topics beyond the scope of their development work.

How did 8base Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve exceeded my expectations. We don’t have issues, even when there are setbacks, they stay focused on getting the job done and moving forward.

We use Slack to communicate and Trello to track progress. I’m not the most technologically savvy, but they were accommodating and helped me navigate through this.

It’s refreshing to not have to worry about how the project is going because I’m confident in their abilities. I’ve seen a lot of poorly developed and unfinished projects, but I don’t worry about that happening with 8base Labs. They take pride in the product and are dedicated to their work which makes me happy.

No, as of now, we have a great working relationship.

They’re only as responsive as their client is. If you can’t get back to them, then they can’t progress on the project. It’s important to get back to them quickly so they can keep moving forward.

They’re on time. If there’s a delay, it’s because they’re waiting on me.
    As of now, the value is good. However, I need to see how the market responds to the release of the product.
    Their product works.
    I do it all the time.

Cloud-Based Platform Dev for Tech Enablement Company

“Their entire approach to user design and UX is really a huge asset to the development process.”

Jan. 2019 – Ongoing

8base Labs developed a SaaS technology platform for a business partnership facilitator, providing a low-code solution and integrating fully with AWS infrastructure and microservices to achieve client goals.

Boston, Massachusetts
Bob Jones
Co-founder & COO, collabtogrow

Though the launch was delayed, beta testers and demo participants have provided rave reviews about the UX and intuitive design of the application. The 8base Labs team communicated regularly and remained flexible to changes or improvements to specifications throughout their work on the project.

I’m the COO and co-founder of collabtogrow, and we are a SaaS-based technology enablement company specializing in helping B2B companies have successful alliances. We’ve built a product to take to the market that can basically help companies better manage their alliances with other companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with 8base Labs?

8base Labs handled the development of our cloud-based SaaS platform from scratch.

From the start of our company, we knew we didn’t want to handle the development of our product in house, and we knew that we wanted it to be a relatively simple system so that we could continue to improve and modify it without too much trouble.

We delivered those requirements to the 8base Labs team, and they brought development resources, and designers to the table for us in order to deliver the full-stack resources that we needed to reach a finished product.

The solution they delivered is highly integrated with the AWS ecosystem and microservices. They provided a low-code backend and then built out a custom frontend from there.

Their team included developers, designers, UI specialists, and a project manager who served as our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with 8base Labs?

We had worked with their CEO in other contexts before, so his company was a strong contender in our search for a partner from the beginning. We held some discussions with a few different teams, including theirs, and decided to go with them in the end.

In total, we spent about $200,000 on their services.

The project started in January 2019 and was meant to roll out by now, but we are delaying the official launch until after the current pandemic situation.

I can only provide anecdotal feedback so far, but not only have we been able to onboard a few beta users who have given us feedback, but we’ve done formal demos with around 15-20 potential clients.

So far, the feedback on the UI has been outstanding. I think 8base Labs completely knocked it out of the park. The system they delivered is intuitive, beautiful, and elegant, and are totally pleased with it. We’ve gotten nothing but rave reviews on it so far.

How did 8base Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We ran the project using an agile methodology, so there was a lot of iteration involved in the process. We used Aha to plan out our product roadmap and Envision for mockups, as well as GitHub and Balsamic to interface between the design and development teams. We also hold twice-a-week standup meetings to make sure we are always on the same page about our status.

They did a good job with project management in that they were willing to go with our flow for the design process, and they were always flexible as we felt out what exactly we wanted the cloud platform to be. Our expectations were satisfied with both the development and project management side as well.

Their entire approach to user design and UX is really a huge asset to the development process. Anybody can build feature functions, but their team is able to build them in a useable and intuitive way that most other teams are not able to accomplish in the same way.

The whole team has also been incredibly helpful and understanding with regard to the collaboration, helping us to really flesh out our design ideas as we went along. We’ve never had one conversation with them where they told us they wouldn’t help with something unless we paid more, and we really appreciate that willingness to work together with us.

We were probably their first large development client so we’ve learned a bit together, but there’s nothing at this point that I think they need to do differently.

Engage with them in an iterative, agile way. If you come in with a fixed design in your mine, you will be missing out on a lot of their unique skills when it comes to the user side of SaaS development.

Overall Score In general, I would do it pretty much exactly the way we did the first time.
    Part of the delays were on us, but I think the early project could have moved a little bit faster.
    They provided a fixed price and that point never changed once. The value is outstanding.
    They really understand SaaS design.

BRONZE VERIFIED