The Experts in Big Data and Analytic Database

WinterCorp is the leading independent consulting firm specializing in the architecture, engineering and scalability of today’s largest analytic data solutions. We help enterprises optimize the value of data throughout its lifecycle. We are expert with big data (Hadoop & NoSQL), analytic databases, data warehouses and other data management technologies.

Our services apply our decades of experience, proven methods and techniques, product insight, and technical expertise to ensure that these analytic data solutions perform as needed and scale on demand.

Leading enterprises rely on our advice and services to:

•     define their data management strategies and architectures
  •     select their technologies and platforms - we'll help you figure out whether to use Hadoop, a data warehouse platform, a specialized data platform, or a combination
  •     design, conduct and evaluate their benchmarks and proofs-of-concept; and, provide expert assistance with the design and implementation of their solutions

1992
Cambridge, MA
headquaters
  • WinterCorp Cambridge, MA 02142
    781.642.0300

WinterCorp clients include major enterprises and startups in finance, telecommunications, retailing, healthcare, government, distribution and high tech.

While client names are confidential, references are available on request.

Big Data and Database Management for Gavroshe USA

"I trust [WinterCorp’s] wisdom, guidance, and direction without question."

10,000,000+

June 1995 - Ongoing

WinterCorp works on multiple installations of large data management systems and implements updates for scalability and data analysis. The team also provides training on database workload characteristics.

Columbus, Ohio
CEO, Gavroshe USA

The team provides high-quality work and is very professional. WinterCorp has great talent and is at the top of the database management industry. They provide guidance, management, and communication and have little to improve on.

Please describe your company.

We're a 32-year-old data management consulting firm. We specialize in everything data, from strategy to implementation of solutions for data warehouse, data management in general, big data, and analytics.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the CEO and president.

What was your goal for working with WinterCorp?

I have personally worked with Winter Corporation since the early to mid-1990s on a variety of projects. We collaborated with the Winter Corporation because the team has been recognized as one of the de facto leaders in the area of very large database technology in database performance scalability.

We partnered with the Winter Corporation to bring the top caliber of talent in that category to projects that we were delivering to our clients. Those projects are across a variety of organizations through the years. My first connection with Richard Winter from Winter Corporation was as president and CEO of a company called Energy Solutions, which I founded in 1994. We worked with Richard initially at Sears Roebuck & Company on a proof of concept. Ultimately, it became a build of a very large enterprise data warehouse in the ‘90s. That was the beginning of our relationship.

In general, the Winter Corporation team is very knowledgeable in the vendor segment of technology for database management, which deals with the largest databases on the planet.

Back then, Teradata was a fledgling company. Oracle, IBM, and Informix were the large players in the early ‘90s. They had researched those companies and had worked with clients who had done large-scale implementation of those technologies. They had run their own series of performance benchmarks on the technology in the category and have maintained published work on performance and scalability through the years.

Their work involved guiding their clients and our joint clients through the journey of understanding workload characteristics. Their work also involved understanding technology alignments and Oracle requirements as well as performing required benchmark evaluations of vendor technology in a performance comparison scenario. They focused in and around solutions in that area of database performance and management under a variety of workloads. A lot of their work is focused on decision support and analytic capabilities.

Bringing that forward, we’ve continued to work with the Winter Corporation and, most recently, in the big data context where their work has moved into the domain of understanding the vendor and technology landscape. Their work also covers performance characteristics, with platforms like Hadoop and various cloud solutions and implementations of Hadoop and other non-SQL VLDB [very large database] or big data technology solutions.

We most recently engaged the Winter Corporation at one of our large insurance carrier clients to help them understand the landscape, technology options, and performance characteristics of a variety of big data technology options available to them.

The projects have varied from multimillion dollar projects to smaller engagements. I think in the largest project, the client spent a total of $16 million. We had a budget in that collaboration of about $3 million during a two-year period. Smaller projects have been in the area of $80,000, or just under $100,000. There have been a variety of budgets depending on the scenario and the client need.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

At my disposal, I can talk specifically about one case in point. It was the largest project with Winter Corporation that I referenced. That year, our combined team was selected by the chairman of the board and the CEO of the company, which that year was $40 billion in revenue. As the number one supplier/partner of the year, I have more than 10,000 suppliers, and the only IT [information technology] partner ever to have been accorded that recognition within the organization. That work was significantly informed and delivered by the Winter Corporation team.

In every scenario that we’ve worked with the Winter Corporation, our clients have walked away extremely satisfied with the work, the quality, and the caliber. They’ve consumed, published, and researched materials from the Winter Corporation. In every case, I’ve regarded those as top of the industry in terms of insights within the focus area. I can only say the best things about the quality and customer perception of the quality and caliber of the Winter Corporation work. That is the reason that, after four organizations since my first collaboration with Winter Corporation, I’ve always partnered with them. I am more than satisfied.

They’re not a very large organization, but the caliber of the talent that the Winter Corporation brings to bear has always been top of the industry and top of the class. I’ve never engaged a resource from the Winter Corporation that I’ve regretted engaging, or that I’ve had any concern about the project. I trust Richard's wisdom, guidance, and direction without question. He is in what I consider to be a small category of go-to leaders that I collaborate with, and I know that others feel the same way. I can’t speak for them, but the people that I know in that circle regard him highly as I do.

Not really. We have a partnership agreement with the Winter Corporation, and if Richard tells me we should go in a particular direction, I generally go in that direction. I can’t recommend anything except get bigger so I can use them more often.

Overall Score I'd score them more highly if I could.
    If you have a data scalability or performance challenge in any category of data management, I don’t believe there’s a better organization to come in and guide you through that question than the Winter Corporation. I wouldn’t recommend anybody else.