Strategy, Design, Drupal & WordPress

Gold

With more than 10 years in the game, our diverse team is committed to providing creative solutions to today’s digital challenges. We provide the highest quality products across Strategy, Creative, and Technology. Curious and want to learn more about who we are? Get to know us, or email us at [email protected]

2004

• National Interest
  • World Cocoa Foundation

See recent portfolio -  www.webdevelopmentgroup.com

American Red Cross

Confronted with a growing mobile audience, American Red Cross needed to upgrade their non-adaptive mobile interface to help users more easily locate and leverage appropriate resources during times of crisis. Our primary task was to create an aggregated platform that highlighted the American Red Cross’ breadth of relief services.

View more WDG projects by visiting&nbsp

;https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work

vbrick - enterprise video platform

WDG partnered with Vbrick to provide the ultimate experience to B2B companies in need of video capabilities. We helped Vbrick design a polished CMS portal that displayed the trusted brand to their ever-expanding Fortune 500 customer list.

Visit case study at Visit vbrick case study!

Chemonics

Chemonics sought to coalesce a broad body of content into a streamlined information architecture with improved navigation pathways to increase user engagement.

View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

World Cocoa Foundation

We created custom designs for a flexible WordPress CMS platform to showcase WCF’s position as the primary thought-leader on cocoa sustainability issues.

Lush color schemes and photography maintain brand identity within a modernized aesthetic. Advanced navigation capabilities, search optimization, and overall performance of the WCF website were necessary. By simplifying the homepage with taxonomies, we minimized visual

clutter, heavy text, and menu structure.

Read our full case study by visiting: https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/world-cocoa-foundation/

Flight Safety Foundation

Bringing aviation safety to the digital forefront.

Visit www.wdg.co to learn how we increase conversions and traffic.

The United States Institute of Peace

Achieve your digital mission with a dynamic CMS platform.

Visit www.wdg.co to learn more.

The National Interest

WDG constructed a site redesign and migration onto a Drupal site for The National Interest, a leading international media publication. The National Interest is an American international affairs magazine that is published by the Center for the National Interest. WDG was able to assist The National Interest on their redesign by providing full-spectrum support, including strategy, design, and web development. The

National Interest was analyzed and needs were identified in order for WDG to provide them with tailored solutions. Check out www.wdg.co for more.

BoardSource

BoardSource sought to utilize a redesigned site structure and brand aesthetic to increase membership conversions, promote sales of particular resources, and meet key performance indicators (KPI’s). WDG strategized BoardSource’s site redesign with an improved information architecture, thorough wireframe designs, and an incredible user experience. View more WDG projects by visiting&nbsp

;https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

Center for Global Development

Reveal digital solutions that encourage global prosperity through innovative user experience.

See more on www.wdg.co

Learning Without Tears

Redesign for Learning Without Tears with Drupal as the CMS.  Case study: https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/learning-without-tears/

American Diabetes Association

Mobile and desktop projects for the American Diabetes Association.

Type 1 Risk Test

Sample Clientele

Our clients range from successful startups to visiable large non-profits.

For over a decade, every project — no matter the size — has been met with a passion and pursuit to consistently deliver conversion-driven solutions.

We lay the strategic foundation for each project by understanding the targeted business goals and audience needs of our clients. Our data-driven approach delivers results that

are strategically on-brand.

Our strategists, designers, web developers and marketers take service and standards seriously — the job will not just be completed, but mastered. All of our clients know that they are working with a hand-picked, quality, experienced team.

Learn more by contact us at [email protected]

...

Health.ly

Health.ly wanted to create an invaluable resource center for users featuring a robust collection of health-focused recipes with social feature integrations to keep users coming back for seconds. WDG designers created a delectable design to showcase the full user experience for target audiences. We created an interactive interface with featured and sponsored content to increase user engagement and revenue, as well as

optimized all designs for three different breakpoints. View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

AALU

Website redesign for AALU. View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

WDG Work Reel

A video displaying WDG's portfolio of work.

The Folger Shakespeare Library

The Folger Shakespeare Library houses the largest collection of historical Shakespeare literature, manuscripts, and other artifacts in the world. When the Folger partnered with The Web Development Group, we were tasked with revitalizing their online presence with an updated site structure that better catered to their wide breadth of audiences, from the general public to knowledgeable research scholars. Built on a

Drupal CMS, we gave the Folger’s web administrators a completely customized and straightforward way of managing content. View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

Hubbard Radio

Hubbard Broadcasting operates across several major markets including the nation’s capitol. They desired an online platform that could manage multiple channels and millions of listeners. In order to achieve this goal, WDG would need to create a streaming medium equipped with features that had cutting edge web functionality that would revolutionize the

listener experience.  View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

American Coatings Association (ACA)

A true model of sustainability, the American Coatings Association (ACA) has been protecting and preserving our nation’s infrastructure for more than a century. They are prideful advocates continually seeking to change critical industry issues through various publications, programs, and events. The Web Development Group (WDG) found a way to express their passion for the industry while engaging visitors with tailored

content.  View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

City of Alexandria

After recently being named one of the top cities in the United States to live, The City of Alexandria determined that it was time to give their web presence an overhaul, and hired The Web Development Group to partner in this extensive and in-depth project. Offering full service web design, web development, strategy and marketing services, The Web Development Group,  or WDG, is a full service digital agency, that

calls the city of Alexandria home. Launching the project with their in-house team of web designers and developers, WDG was hired as a collaborative partner, to provide strategy, redesign of information architecture, digital taxonomy, wire frames, front-end design and user interface design. View more WDG projects by visiting ...

The Conquer Cancer Foundation

The Conquer Cancer Foundation (CCF), located in Alexandria, Virginia, is a non-profit foundation built on the goals of funding research, sharing knowledge and improving the quality and access of cancer care. In an effort to rejuvenate their design, improve user experience and amplify the overall essence of credibility to the CCF site, The Web Development Group was contracted to provide research and discovery, digital

strategy, redesign of the website’s information architecture, as well as the design of a completely new and updated Drupal website.  View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

Penton

New York based Penton Media is an information publishing services company distributing to over 16 million professionals in industries such as agriculture, transportation, and infrastructure. They offer a plethora of different resources for these industries, including networking, data metrics, and peer to peer broadcasting. With our in-depth experience in this industry, we knew we had to develop an online platform that is

sustainable and versatile.  View more WDG projects by visiting https://www.webdevelopmentgroup.com/work/

Jostle Software Implementation for Day School

"Although we are not their biggest client, they make us feel as if we are their top priority."

June - Dec. 2018

WDG was initially tasked with building a custom intranet system, but they later opted to find the most efficient platform on the market. The project required extensive analysis of competing products.

John Faig
Director of Technology, St. Patrick's Episcopal Day School

Productivity has reached new heights since adopting the new intranet system. WDG’s expert guidance played an integral role in the decision-making process. With only a sparse list of requirements, their team managed to locate a platform that satisfied explicit and ambiguous business goals.

I am the director of technology at St. Patrick’s Episcopal Day School, an independent school that serves kids from nursery through eighth grade.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG – Web Development Group?

Several years ago, we embarked on a search for a web tool that would allow our faculty and staff to collaborate and share information in one place.

WDG’s scope shifted from building custom intranet software to helping us find an existing product that met all of our requirements. After many brainstorming sessions, their team conducted a thorough analysis of products on the market and compiled a list of the top 10 tools and their capabilities. We eventually decided to adopt the Jostle platform.

They assigned three individuals to our account.

How did you come to work with WDG – Web Development Group?

We discovered them during our search for boutique development shops. WDG managed to impress us during the first meeting; their team was amiable and attentive to our needs.

We spent less than $10,000 for their services.

The project was completed during the last six months in 2016.

Our productivity was suffering from the lack of organization, but WDG’s expert advice helped us make the right decision. We went into the project with an incomplete vision, and they managed to match our preferences into a product that we could buy. Jostle has all of the collaborative services that we needed and an excellent file management system.

How did WDG – Web Development Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They provided exceptional customer service. Although we are not their biggest client, they make us feel as if we are their top priority.

WDG could have made a lot more money by continuing with the custom development project, but they looked out for our best interest and presented more cost-effective options.

We didn’t notice any troubling areas.

Their team is very talented at conceptualizing basic ideas, but it always nice to provide them with a detailed list of requirements.

We never experienced any issues with planning physical meetings or phone conferences.
    The pricing was very fair.
    Their customer service was extraordinary, and we are incredibly pleased with the final results.
    Everyone that I interacted with was pleasant, so I will definitely recommend them to others.

WordPress Web Design & Digital Marketing for Entrepreneur

“Anyone can build a website, but WDG - Web Development Group builds brands and experiences.”

Oct. 2012 - Aug. 2013

After a thorough discovery phase, WDG - Web Development Group developed a plan to build three WordPress websites for three related companies. They created the web design and managed digital marketing.

Alexandria, Virginia
Jonathan Tame
Chief Strategy Officer, Whitespace Solutions

WDG - Web Development Group successfully created a website that conveyed the desired vision and brought positive feedback. They are experts in creativity and productivity, and they deliver an organized process and create ease with their strong interpersonal skills and creative talents.

I’m the chief strategy officer at Whitespace Solutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

I worked with WDG - Web Development Group several years ago when I was the founder and CEO of a separate company. I was looking for help with web design as well as digital marketing.

They completed a WordPress website for me. I had three companies that were doing different things, though they built off of each other. Ab (Founder, WDG - Web Development Group) developed a multi-phase plan to build each site individually but allowed them to be interwoven together. Their process is human-centric but also structured. I never felt lost because their team has a good, regimented roadmap on how to get things done.

They sent me an in-depth survey to get a sense of who I was as the product owner and to better understand the vision. They asked questions to try to get to know me, as well as some fun questions to solicit personality. They got into the essentials of what I was trying to accomplish.

Next, we had a lot of design thinking sessions where the designers put together some ideas and developed some wireframing using a structured, smart approach. I talked through what I liked and didn’t like. They did a good job of not overloading me with everything all at once. They introduced me to fundamentals and the basic elements, and as we built on that, I was more comfortable with how the process went. Then they gave me more, walking through things like font choices, which was helpful. They gave explanations and made recommendations, almost like a guided tour. I went on a journey with them while they built.

I worked with Al and Homiera (Director of Client Services, WDG - Web Development Group).

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

I did a comprehensive search in the area. Supporting the local economy was important to me as an entrepreneur. I was looking for a personal touch. I wanted someone that I could get on the phone with at crazy hours if there were issues or to make changes. I narrowed it down to two companies and chose WDG - Web Development Group based on Ab’s responses to my emails. I got the impression that he is a high-touch entrepreneur, which is what won me over. There is technical talent everywhere, but the interpersonal and one-on-one relating is difficult. WDG - Web Development Group is a company full of empathic, caring human beings that will bend over backward to make their customers happy.

I invested around $30,000.

We worked together from October 2012–August 2013.

We had a ton of great feedback when the site launched, and, had we been able to stay in business longer, it would have gone well, but our client’s funding was wiped out overnight. The site was for marketing and advertising and to promote what we were doing. They exceeded our expectations of building an engaging and visually pleasing site.

When I can afford to bring in a digital agency, I won’t shop around. There is no one else in town that I would want to work with other than WDG - Web Development Group. My goal is to get there as quickly as possible.

How did WDG - Web Development Group perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s as structured and disciplined as I have ever seen. Nothing slips through the cracks. They did a great job of addressing requirements up front, and they are good at addressing and documenting risk. They are platform-agnostic, which gives them an ability to serve as consultants and subject matter experts, and they bring that expertise to the table when they are talking with their client.

Everything was done in person, either over the phone or at the office. We often spoke weekly. If I wasn’t in touch for a week, they helped me catch up. They are extremely responsive and on top of their game. They are as responsive as the client requires them to be. Every step of the way, a member of their team was in constant contact.

I’m a fairly technical person, and I like to do a lot on my own, and I didn’t get any pushback. They always came back with ways to support and ways to best equip me for success.

They have an awesome balance between creativity and productivity. WDG - Web Development Group is ridiculously talented when it comes to the creative, but they are also disciplined in how they get things done. They stay on schedule and on budget, and they have a great pragmatic approach to the business side of the agency, but they don’t do it at the sacrifice of the creative. They’ve figured out how to build a culture that values both.

Anyone can build websites, handle SEO, and do digital advertising and identity, but the team at WDG - Web Development Group takes the users along for the journey. They are awesome people and they treat everyone like every problem is important. Ab did a great job.

No. Ab is a phenomenal entrepreneur and businessman. They have built a fantastic company.

Have an open mind. If you know exactly what you want, they can do that for you, but that might not be taking advantage of their strengths. If you have a vision but not an exact blueprint, they are a phenomenal and creative firm to work with. They can take a vision and help bring it to life in a way that I don’t think most people are capable of doing. Leverage them for their strengths, which is their ability to execute creatively. Don’t go in thinking you know everything. If that is what you are looking for, you can go anywhere. Anyone can build a website, but WDG - Web Development Group builds brands and experiences.

Overall Score They are the perfect balance of execution and creativity, which is a tough balance to find.
    They will meet their customer wherever and whenever necessary.
    They are ridiculously talented individuals. You don’t get rock stars for bottom dollar. You pay top dollar for the best, and they are the best.
    Their quality speaks for itself. Go look at their work.
    I refer them all the time.

Digital Strategy & Web Redesigns for Gov. Agency

“They created a flexible platform that presents our content in a unique and interesting way.”

June 2016 - Ongoing

WDG - Web Development Group developed a digital strategy and redesigned a website from scratch, including wireframes. They continue to provide ongoing support for various projects as needed.

Web Comms. Manager, International Affairs Company

WDG not only delivers high-quality design and development services, but also takes a unique and incredibly valuable approach to overall digital strategy. Highly proactive, responsive, and timely in their delivery, they continue to provide a positive work experience.

I'm the web communications and multimedia manager for an international affairs company.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

We engaged WDG - Web Development Group to help us with our overall digital strategy and online presence. We wanted to refresh the look and feel of a lot of our websites. It had been a number of years since we redesigned the sites; they needed to be updated, more mobile friendly, and tell our story more effectively.

WDG has worked on a number of projects for us, including redesigning and developing a website. During an initial kickoff meeting, their team met with us to go over our goals and requirements before going into development. They provided wireframes and mockups in the process.

On the most recent project, we worked with about five people, including strategists, designers, developers, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

We evaluated about 10 vendors and selected WDG based on their price, the quality of their previous work, and the capabilities they were able to offer as a full-service vendor.

We'd worked with them on other projects dating back to 2016 but officially made them one of our preferred vendors in June 2017. The relationship is ongoing.

Although I don't have any specific metrics to report, WDG has made our lives much easier by creating a template for our site that could easily be adapted to other sites. They created a flexible platform that presents our content in a unique and interesting way. It looks amazing overall, and we've received nothing but positive feedback.

They're great at keeping us on track, sticking to deadlines, and following up using the latest project management tools.

The strategy sessions they provide upfront sets them apart. They've helped our team hone and identify goals before going into development, which encourages our team members to think from perspectives they'd never considered before.

No. I've been very happy with their work.

Identify the goals of the project in as much detail as possible to make the strategy sessions more productive.

They've met about 95% of the deadlines for all the projects they've worked on.
    They're not the cheapest vendor, but they offer a lot of value for the investment.
    The quality of their services is outstanding.

Website Rebranding for Government Data Solutions Firm

“WDG turned our website into an improved lead generation tool.”

Jan. - May 2018

WDG - Web Development Group redesigned a website, updating its branding, incorporating custom features, and providing feedback as needed.

Virginia
Former Employee, Government Data Solutions Firm

WDG provided top-notch web redesign services as well as invaluable feedback to help improve the final product. Their efforts helped increase site traffic, user engagement time, and the number of overall leads. They remained organized and responsive throughout.

I was the former director of marketing communications for a government data solutions firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

Our website was outdated and the company was going through a rebrand, so I decided to take the opportunity to rebrand and update our website as well.

WDG - Web Development Group redesigned our website after doing a site audit and meeting with our team to go over our goals and requirements. They presented different options for us to choose from and worked collaboratively with us through each milestone of the redesign.

We worked with a design team, some developers, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

We found them through an online search for local vendors in the DC area. Other colleagues of mine within the industry had also recommended them. Out of the three companies we considered, WDG offered the best total package at the most competitive rate.

I can't remember the exact amount, but I remember they were much more reasonably priced compared to others we'd considered. Not to mention, they were willing to work within our budget.

They worked on the project from January–May 2018.

WDG turned our website into an improved lead generation tool. In addition to making it more user-friendly, visitors were spending more time on the site, and traffic significantly increased.

How did WDG - Web Development Group perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job despite the fact that we had to change project managers a few times. However, this was due to unforeseen circumstances. There were no issues getting the new resources up to speed, so nothing was impacted in a negative way on our end. They were organized, responsive, and documented their work well throughout the engagement.

They're very genuine and sincere. Whenever they had feedback or suggestions, they never hesitated to let us know how we could improve certain elements of the site. But they weren't pushy either. They helped educate us throughout the process without sounding condescending because they genuinely wanted to help us improve the final product.

Nothing comes to mind. Despite the staff transitions on their end, it didn't take away from our product or outcome.

Communication is key, so always keep an open line of contact with their team.

There were just a few deadlines that slipped.

Two WordPress Web Designs for Multiple Companies

“Their staff is some of the best in the business.”

2007-2008, 2012-2013

WDG provided WordPress design and development services for two websites, working on creating mockups and then implementing them. They also trained the internal team on how to update the sites themselves.

11- 50 Employees

Houston, Texas
Former VP, Government Communications Firm

Both sites were completed successfully, receiving excellent reviews for the modernized look, ease of use, and good navigation flows. The team managed both projects smoothly, communicating regularly and demonstrating their technical skills throughout.

I’m the former VP of a government communications firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

I reached out to WDG - Web Development Group to redesign outdated websites: once while at the consulting firm and again when I was working at another company. For both projects, we wanted a more modern platform that our current customers and potential customers would find easy to use.

They completed two projects with me for different companies, both concerning very old, outdated websites. WDG came in, redesigned the sites, and put them on WordPress where we could make updates.

We began with a design kickoff and talked to them about what we were looking for. They created mockups for us, going through the typical design phase with a little bit of back and forth to pinpoint exactly what we wanted. After we settled on a design, they went into the development.

The projects weren’t terribly complex. There wasn’t a lot of customization that needed to happen, but it was still a large upgrade for us and involved a new platform. They trained us on how to use it and set us up with their customer support.

I worked with 3–4 people.

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

I’m friends with Ab (CEO, WDG - Web Development Group), so I didn’t consider any other company.

We spent $50,000–$199,999.

We worked together from 2007–2008 for one of the sites, and the other was done in 2012–2013.

Both sites got rave reviews. Customers found them really easy to use and navigate. The sites were modernized and brought into this century.

They were top notch. We communicated 3–4 times a week—sometimes daily—using email and phone.

Their staff is some of the best in the business from the get-go. I find them to be world class.

No, I was so pleased with how everything went. It was all really smooth.

Trust your project manager. They know what they’re doing, so let them help you get the best product.

Overall Score I would work with them again if given the opportunity
    They always met their deadlines and milestones and never overpromised. They were realistic and honest.
    They did exactly what we wanted them to do.
    I would recommend them to anyone and everyone.

Drupal 7 Design & Development for Think Tank

“Our site was pretty complex, but they successfully completed each task.”

Jan. - Mar. 2018

WDG – Web Development Group helped with a rebuilding initiative for a Drupal 7 website. They drafted mockups and CSS files to guide the backend coding process, producing a high-performing and reliable site.

Drupal Developer, Nonprofit

The new design and build are widely praised. WDG was highly collaborative, responding promptly to requests and working diligently throughout each of the project’s phases. The team was very organized and time-oriented, which resulted in a smooth and straight-forward engagement.

I’m a web developer at a nonprofit think tank.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG – Web Development Group?

We wanted to redesign our Drupal 7 website, updating the platform’s look and feel.

The project was split into two phases. First, WDG worked with our communications department to draft a new design for the website. Together, they created mockups and CSS files that detailed the new interface and how it should operate.

Then, the team shared those documents and helped me code the backend, optimizing the site for reliable performance on all major web browsers. By the time I started working with WDG, they’d already completed most of the project, so it was a pretty straight-forward process.

In all, there were about 5­–6 people working with us, one of which acted as the project manager. During the development phase, I communicated with the team on a daily basis.

How did you come to work with WDG – Web Development Group?

Ab (Managing Director, WDG – Web Development Group) is a friend of mine, but we still requested proposals from a few of the top development companies in our area. Following a presentation from WDG, during which Ab explained the company’s services and provided examples, we decided to hire them. He was clear and detailed in his approach, and they offered a good price.

I estimate we spent between $20,000­–$30,000 on the project.

We worked together from January–March 2018.

Everyone is happy with the site’s updated look, feel, and performance. With the new build, we’ll have an easier time migrating the site to Drupal 8 in the future. Overall, it was a successful project.

I think they did great. Throughout the development process, we openly collaborated to generate impeccable code. Because of their responsiveness, it was a quick and smooth process. With the communications team, WDG provided weekly and daily alerts explaining their progress. They also used a project management system, but I wasn’t involved in that.

They’re very detail oriented in their creative process, prioritizing responsiveness for screens of all sizes. It’s clear that they think about the development work as they plan their designs. When I started working with them, we were able to speed through the coding because everything had already been meticulously drawn out.

No, we’re very happy with them.

I recommend working with them, especially for a Drupal project. Our site was pretty complex, but they successfully completed each task. In initial discussions, give them clear goals, and they’ll let you know the possible ways to get there.

Overall Score They were fun to work with.
    They followed an organized timeline, and there weren’t any delays.
    It’s a good deal for the services they offer—Drupal development can be expensive.
    They delivered everything on time.
    I have a lot of confidence in them.

WordPress Web Design, Development, SEO for Agency

"The team provided exceptional guidance. They held our hand as we figured out our budget."

Oct. 2014 - Feb. 2015

WDG – Web Development Group overhauled a third-party’s WordPress website and provided keyword-based SEO. The team added new design features and navigation functionalities. They also helped edit and curate copy.

Falls Churh, Virginia
Garrett O'Shea
President, PockitShip

The new site’s Google search results increased threefold. The team delivered a dynamic website within a practical budget. In-house processes caused some delays, but WDG – Web Development Group was proactive in keeping the project on track. In-person meetings benefited the partnership.

I’m the president and CMO of Pockitship.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG – Web Development Group?

My business partner had a company that served as the end client for this project. We hired WDG – Web Development Group to rebrand and relaunch the end client’s website. The site was outdated, static, and not very SEO-friendly; it needed a complete refresh.

The partnership started with brainstorming and ideation. My business partner and I showed WDG – Web Development Group several corporate websites we wanted to use a guide for the end result. The team then created wireframes and designed the look and feel in compliance with the end client’s brand color scheme.

The team overhauled the site on WordPress and created a slider to highlight the end client’s four core competencies, which included white-glove home delivery. WDG – Web Development Group generated new keywords and created search functionalities that the previous site lacked. They also used an improved CMS to change content and make updates. Our team created copy for the designer. We then collaborated on editing and streamlining copy for the various webpages. Finally, they launched the site after we approved all of the deliverables.

I worked with the project lead, a designer, and a programmer. The owner was also involved at a high level. All four people participated in each meeting.

How did you come to work with WDG – Web Development Group?

I was familiar with WDG – Web Development Group from another company I worked at. For this project, we searched local design firms, and I recognized their name. We then put WDG – Web Development Group on our RFP list of seven agencies. Next, we narrowed the prospective vendors down to 2–3, including WDG – Web Development Group; they were the middle vendor in terms of cost. When we did face-to-face interviews, we found their team easy to interact with. As we sat in their conference room and discussed the project, we felt comfortable about the process.

We spent between $35,000–$40,000.

We worked with them from October 2014–February 2015.

WDG – Web Development Group kept the budget in check to build the website we needed rather than the one we would’ve unnecessarily wanted. The new site had relevant keywords and was an improvement over the old static one. The end client’s Google search results have at least tripled post-launch.

We used Basecamp to track updates and submit approvals. We interacted twice a week and met every other week. During the in-person meetings, we reviewed the site on a large screen and discussed the placement of multimedia content. The team made everything happen through free-flowing conversations. Delays were our fault because we were indecisive on several issues. The team did say they could have finished the project faster if we made decisions more quickly.

The team provided exceptional guidance. They held our hand as we figured out our budget. That approach—especially during our conversations—kept the scope in check, which we appreciated in the end.

No, because they did a good job. We never had disagreements and the team was highly professional.

During vendor searches, contact the team and meet them in person. A face-to-face meeting will give clients a feel for their people and company culture. That familiarity is important because site launches are lengthy processes. In our case, the team was easy to get along with.

Overall Score I would go back and use them again.
    They kept us on track when were decisive and fell behind.
    They're not the cheapest on the block, but they were definitely good quality.
    They did everything that we asked for and within the budget we requested.
    I've already referred them to other people.

Subcontracted Web Dev & Design for Creative Agency

"From the first moment, I always felt like we were in sync with WDG - Web Development Group."

Feb. - Oct. 2017

As a subcontractor, WDG - Web Development Group developed a WordPress website. Key features included a dashboard and administration interface as well as search functionality.

201- 500 Employees

Director of Digital Technology, Agency

Internal and external feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. WDG - Web Development Group executives not only expedited completion and enhanced the project creatively, but also demonstrated a vested interest in long-term outcomes and customer business needs.

I’m the director of digital technology at a creative agency in DC.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

A client contracted us to build a website, but we needed the assistance and expertise of a subcontractor to build it.

The first step was an introductory meeting between WDG - Web Development Group and our internal team. They got everyone on board with the breakdown of tasks and responsibilities before we introduced them to the client. They then led the discovery phase to find out the client's needs. In the design phase, they produced wireframes and mockups. The team launched the site after a build phase and QA in addition to providing 30 days support after launch.

The site was built on WordPress but also incorporated more complex relationships. They created a dashboard and administration interface to allow the client to manage the site. The backend included a search function for thousands of articles and interrelated content that dynamically populate the site. The client can connect items by setting categories; they can also manually create relationships by typing in the first few letters of the item title, clicking on the autofill, and dragging the item.

We primarily worked with a project manager and two other people. At most, we worked with about seven people on any given day.

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

I met Ab (Managing Director, WDG - Web Development Group) when I was with another company. We didn't end up working together until now but continued to stay in touch.

We spent about $150,000.

The project took place from February–October 2017.

The client was tremendously impressed with the way they executed the site. As a WordPress developer myself, I appreciated that their process was incredibly streamlined. The site was very clean, professional, and way better than what we could have come up with on our own.

Their team performed really well. We communicated on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. We were essentially on each other's teams for the duration of the project. We could reach out to several people and expect an immediate response. Ab was always available to help as well. We had some project management issues from our side, but they worked with us to solve it. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

All of the members of the team were solid in their respective roles. I was impressed with how the entire team collaborated; it’s easy to work with smart people. I’ve dealt with people in the past where I wasn’t sure they actually got what I was saying.

However, from the first moment, I always felt like we were in sync with WDG - Web Development Group. Being a subcontractor to a contractor can be difficult. They handled not being able to directly interface with the client well and still managed to deliver on all of the clients’ needs.

I don't think so. They handled everything well. If I were to nitpick, I’m sure I could find some issue since projects never go perfectly. But there's nothing institutional or fundamental that they could improve. They should continue bringing on new team members who meet the standards and the expectations of their more experienced staff.

Give them a shot. Some offshore companies charge half of what they do, but you get what you pay for. They deliver true added value for what you spend.

Overall Score They excelled in all respects.
    They never missed a deadline. If we ran over, it wasn’t their issue.
    They thought of things we hadn't considered, which ended up being important.
    The client was ecstatic about the quality of the product.
    I've already referred them multiple times.

WordPress Web Redesign & Development for Consulting Firm

"WDG is committed to understanding the client."

Jan. - Oct. 2017

WDG - Web Development Group built a WordPress site to replace an outdated platform. They conducted a hands-on design phase, including several on-site exercises and mock-ups, to select graphics and tone.

Fairfax, Virginia
Lucas Aimes
EVP, Emagine IT

WDG - Web Development Group delivered a sleek, cutting-edge website that appeals to an organization’s target demographics for clients and potential employees. Feedback from customers and internal stakeholders alike praised the user-friendly navigation and attractive appearance.

I'm the EVP of corporate development for Emagine IT. Our organization is an IT management consulting firm that’s been in operation since 2005. Most of our business is in the federal government.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG - Web Development Group?

Our existing website was slightly stagnant and didn't truly reflect our organization's capabilities. We wanted it to appeal to our clients and attract specific demographics like millennials to our organization. As we pursued more development contracts, we also needed an accurate representation of our cutting-edge software and web design services.

Even though we offer IT consulting and have website developers on our payroll, we lacked the bandwidth to work on corporate initiatives. These limitations extended to implementing new websites, so we reached out to WDG for help.

We started off with a meet-and-greet for all the stakeholders who were involved with the process. WDG spent time learning more about our organization to get a better idea of our ultimate goals for the website. We visited them on site to go through exercises to define our vision. During these planning meetings, we reviewed feedback from our clients on what they found appealing or disliked.

We assessed some of our competitors' websites to find aspects to model. During this phase, we determined what our competitive landscape emphasized. The team invested a lot of research into the requirements before creating mockups for the site's structure. At that point, we delegated responsibilities. Our company took ownership of the actual content and wording that would appear on site pages. WDG considered our comments from the research and planning sessions to create the right tone and graphics as they worked through layouts.

After they presented several options, we made decisions about how to move forward. Once all the site mapping matched up our discussed plans, WDG conducted a handover for all the page templates. They helped us add these developed pages to the domain we had set up so that we could start development and add content.

We interfaced with about 4–5 people from WDG at any given time.

How did you come to work with WDG - Web Development Group?

Somebody within our organization knew one of the developers from WDG. We met with and requested quotes from four other website designers in the area. WDG came through as the most cost-effective. The examples they provided were more in line with the type of website we wanted to put in front of our clients.

We invested $40,000 or more.

We worked with WDG from January–October 2017.

I don't have any specific results to share, but WDG got our website up and running with no issues. We've seen increased traffic based on the metrics we track through Google Analytics, even though that wasn’t our primary goal. We mainly wanted to modernize the site and align its presentation with our users' preferences. Now, it engages our clients and potential employees.

We've had nothing but great feedback from our clients and internal resources about the ease of navigation through the site. Aesthetically, it's much more colorful and filled with clean lines and real photos of our employees at volunteer events or around the office. The old site was more boilerplate, templatized, and leveraged many more stock photos. We tried to make the new version more in line with our culture and engaging for our employees.

WDG performed excellently. They leveraged project management tools and maintained great communication to ensure the project went smoothly. They kept us aware of what we needed to do, reminded us of approaching deadlines, and engaged us to take actions whenever necessary. On occasion, they even had us visit their offices or came to ours.

In the beginning, we communicated almost daily through the project team site WDG set up. We discussed upcoming activities and completed tasks. During the middle of the project, we spoke every few days as we each got our respective work done. Towards the tail end, we ramped back up to daily communication as they prepared for the handoff.

Our companies have very similar cultures, so we feel welcome working in WDG’s office space. They never judged anyone based on their comments or questions about the website. WDG is committed to understanding the client. They took measures early on to envision the end product from the user perspective.

No, nothing comes to mind. We worked very closely with them and appreciated all their efforts. We would definitely use WDG again in the future.

Do your homework to determine which web design company will best suit your needs as a partner. Based on what we saw from WDG's sample projects and their existing client base, they were the most in line with what we wanted to portray on our site. Getting multiple quotes was also helpful. They were right in the range we wanted to spend on our website redesign.

Overall Score The team is very attentive. They're always there for us, and they reach out in regular intervals to see if we need any additional support.
    We had no issues meeting our deadlines. They were an excellent help for us to launch the website before a contract award we received.
    We didn't have the resources to do the months of work this project entailed in-house. Having a new face of our company was worth its weight in gold.
    Their careful planning phase ensured that we understood the lifecycle and deliverables. We stuck to the schedule as we moved through the project.
    I'm very likely to. We’ve even already referred them to others who needed website design. Those clients are currently using them.

Web Redesign for National Nonprofit

"You get that small town/small business feel in a really big city with a big development firm like theirs."

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

WDG built a custom website for a nonprofit using WordPress. After discovery and wireframing, they mapped out the navigation and helped implement a rebrand for the organization.

11- 50 Employees

Erin Berry
VP Marketing & Communications, BoardSource

WDG made web development seem like magic. Traffic has increased 200% since the launch, and all other metrics are trending up. The WDG team delivered a flexible design that allows for quick changes, but more importantly, they were a family-style business with a real desire to build relationships.

BoardSource is the recognized leader in nonprofit board leadership and supports, trains, and educates nonprofit leaders from across the country and throughout the world. With almost three decades of experience, BoardSource provides leaders with an extensive range of tools, resources, and research data to increase board effectiveness and strengthen organizational impact. It is also the national voice for inspired and effective board leadership. I serve as the vice president of marketing and communications.

What challenge were you trying to address with WDG?

We had a website that we hosted inside of our AMS. It was on a CMS platform, but it was nonresponsive, not flexible, non-scalable, and archaic. We hired WDG to completely develop a brand new online presence using the technology of WordPress.

We completely overhauled how we organized the content on our website. There was a lot of discussion about how we wanted our menu and navigation; we went back and forth with WDG and we both landed on something we thought was going to be really great and fit our needs and those we serve. There was input from us and input from them — it was a great collaboration.

Once they came up with the structure, they really understood where we were coming from in terms of what we wanted to be different on this website compared to how it was on the website we were using at the time. They did a lot of discovery with us. When the wireframes came back we were thrilled. We loved it! When the first design mock-up came back, I didn’t love the colors that they chose. We were about to go through a full rebrand and had been working on updating our new color palette and brand standards. However, after we saw their first design it helped us realize what we liked and what we didn’t. It actually helped us put our new colors together and when we sent them to WDG they seemed excited about the boldness and the direction we were headed.

SEO also was a huge focus. The URLs of our previous website were 100 characters long, and they made no sense. If you know anything about digital marketing and search engine optimization, you know your URL is very important. We had very high hopes that this new website would drastically enhance our online presence. We talked a lot about how our MOZ score was really high when compared to other like-minded organizations within our sector. Our page rank was quite high as well. But paid advertising, direct traffic, and organic traffic were lower than we wanted.

The way WDG allocates resources to a project is different than how I’d worked with other web development firms, and it was a good different. You are working with different team members throughout the project with a seamless hand-off; it was exciting to work different experts directly and not just simply with one project manager. Something really great was the way WDG launched into our project. We did a huge staff kickoff and they brought us through some exercises that lasted a couple of hours. Our entire staff was able to participate and meet the several WDG team members we’d be working with. We wanted it to be a collaborative effort from our end and theirs; we wanted to make sure that everyone knew just how important this new website was to us and those we serve. It was very organized from the beginning.

Once those initial elements were done, we worked very closely with our developer, Kurtis, who is still there and who we still work with because we now have WDG on retainer. We primarily worked with him on the launch. Kurtis is a genius. We pretty much think he's magic. We would ask him, “How did you do that? That was magic! And so quick too”! That’s how it went throughout.

How did you come to work with WDG?

When I was first hired at BoardSource we had a webmaster because we really did need someone on staff with that type of knowledge and experience to manage the site. When he moved to an organization that focuses on web design, we certainly made updates and added critical information to the site, but we did not have the flexibility that we needed or the internal capabilities. In addition to not having the flexibility, the website was nonresponsive, and about 15% of our users are mobile users, so when you have a nonresponsive website it’s going to affect the user experience for those consumers, and sales for the organization. We went through an extremely extensive RFP process and talked with many different firms. We did not have a web development firm we were currently using, so we started from scratch. All of the research was done in-house. After receiving many proposals — and we didn’t just look at D.C.-based firms — we also looked at firms in Manhattan and Brooklyn, but WDG stood above the rest. It was a great experience from the very beginning and in the end, we were absolutely thrilled we had the opportunity to work with them.

How much have you invested with WDG?

It is a little bit tricky because, at the very end, they had to come on and do something that was completely out of scope (thankfully!), but I think, all in, it was $150,000.

We started working with them in September 2015 and launched in October 2016. We have them on retainer, paying them monthly for updates and special projects. We would not have chosen any other firm for this!

Our MOZ score is now a 5.1; it was a 6.3. Our traffic rank is 180,000 or so, and we were at somewhere around 500,000 prior to launch. We were getting anywhere between 20,000 to 50,000 visitors to our website depending on the month and what we were doing. Now we are getting close to 100,000, so we’re up a lot. If you looked at our website metrics prior to redoing it this time last year, for example, about 85-90% of the traffic was coming from email marketing. Now over 50% of visits come from organic and direct traffic. Email marketing is probably reaching the same amount of people, but we have so many more people coming to our website that it is roughly only 15% of our traffic. And over 50% of our users are return visitors which is really exciting.

We absolutely love our newly redesigned website; for our users’ experiences and the internal team working on it now. One of the things that we really wanted was flexibility. WDG built us the most flexible WordPress I have ever worked with. It is based on the flexible design layout version and we can basically do anything that we want to. We create pages from scratch, and it is like… add this layout, add this, and add that. We certainly have our own internal standards and guidelines and business operations as it pertains to that, but it’s the most flexible website that there is.

How did WDG perform from a project management standpoint?

They did very well, especially considering the circumstances of the integration partner we had to part ways with mid-project; this company delayed our website launch about seven months. WDG stuck with it, being very supportive and helping us in the end when we were ‘in a pickle’ and needed to launch the website to help support our organization and new strategic direction. The integration partner simply couldn’t develop what they said that they could develop, and WDG had to broaden their original statement of work and adjust their timelines. WDG did a heck of a job sticking with us because it wasn’t always very easy.

What did you find most impressive about WDG?

The most impressive thing about WDG is that you feel like a part of their family in a way. They’re an organization that obviously works with a lot of clients and manages a lot of projects, but I feel like I am truly supported by them. You get that small business feel in a really big city with a big development firm like WDG. I would say that’s probably the most impressive. When we went over there for training, we all went out to happy hour. I know the names of their kids. I know that Homiera just got married. They take the time to get to know their clients and be really supportive. That’s the biggest thing that feels good about the partnership.

Are there any areas WDG could improve?

Not yet!

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with WDG?

I think that they should hire WDG for their website project. Period.

Overall Score They’re just a really good group of people that you can trust. A testament to the project is that we didn’t want to stop working with them. As soon as we launched our website, we brought them on as a vendor or partner of ours.
    They don’t typically miss deadlines, and they are very communicative. I would award bonus points here for their support whenever we had a really challenging project that disrupted their timelines and their business as it was disruptive to ours.
    WDG constantly went out of their way, and outside the scope of our original project, to benefit us. They knew we were a nonprofit and didn’t have a ton of resources, but they were very flexible with us.
    We were constantly impressed with their knowledge of technology, user experience, and analysis. They helped us to understand what we were looking for and to be able to take our goals and make it a reality.
    I have already referred them to a bunch of different people when I talk about our website. I’m in marketing and communications, so I have a lot of colleagues and peers in the nonprofit space and others.

Gold