Digital B2B strategies for real business results

Walker Sands is a full-service B2B marketing agency with core capabilities in public relations, demand generation, branding, creative, marketing strategy and web. The firm’s integrated approach to marketing drives awareness, credibility and conversions for 100+ clients around the world.

When you work with Walker Sands, you gain a team of experts who will create and execute a customized marketing strategies specifically designed to achieve your unique business goals.

So, what are your business goals?

Are you looking to generate more inbound sales leads? Do you want to elevate the status of your brand? Would you like to generate more awareness of your brand and the value you deliver? Are you having trouble reconnecting with visitors to your website after they leave? Is your website buried beneath your competitors in search results?

Tell us what results you’re looking for, and we’ll work with you to create a digital strategy to achieve them. The strategy we create for your business will be tailored to your goals, your resources and your industry. Along the way, we maintain fluid communication with your team and regularly present progress reports. We consistently test new ideas to optimize every tactic to better serve your digital strategy.

While few strategies include every tactic at our disposal, Walker Sands team members are experts in digital marketing strategies including:

• Brand Messaging

San Francisco, CA 94105
  • 1517 12th Avenue, Suite 205
    Seattle, WA 98122

Brand and Web Dev for SaaS Developer

"I also think they are the whole package—smart, creative, hard-working, technical, strategic, and genuinely nice."

Nov. 2017 - May 2018

Walker Sands developed a brand identity and website and created digital marketing campaigns. They designed brand templates and a color palette, constructed wireframes, and compiled lead generation strategies.

Amanda Beto
Senior Director of Digital Marketing, Mattersight

Customers and employees rallied behind the new brand rapidly, evidenced by improved sales and web traffic. With a smooth workstyle and well-vetted technologies, Walker Sands developed a productive relationship. Their combination of competency and friendly services makes them a top-tier partner.

I was the senior director of digital marketing for Mattersight. We provided SaaS-based enterprise behavioral analytics software to U.S. enterprise call centers.

For what projects/services did your company hire Walker Sands Digital?

Our company’s logo was outdated, our website was cluttered, and our digital strategy wasn’t cohesive. I was brought on and tasked to find a digital agency to partner with for a brand refresh, website redesign, and other digital marketing initiatives.

Our goals for this project were threefold: differentiate us as a modern technology company, increase web traffic and conversions, and support demand generation efforts through a series of digital marketing campaigns.

We needed a full-service digital agency with great design and web development skills. Mattersight put out an RFP to multiple vendors and invited three companies to present to senior marketing members. I joined Mattersight at this stage and re-evaluated the top three. Walker Sands won me over with the effort behind their initial proposal, their local, comprehensive team, and their strategic focus. While other vendors would have filled a consultant role, Walker Sands wanted to take a hands-on approach.

We conducted a kick-off meeting where we explained what we liked and didn't like about our existing brand, gathered examples of brands we did like, and clarified our goals and expectations. From there, they surveyed key stakeholders within our organization and presented a number of options. We refined their choices and ultimately created a full brand identity as a final deliverable (logo, color palette, photography, examples, templates).

The web redesign began with initial discovery and requirement gathering and transitioned into wireframes, designs, and development. The digital strategy focused on developing buyer personas, conducting a content gap analysis, segmenting our database, and developing a series of campaigns focused on demand/lead generation.

The brand team consisted of a project manager, designer, and manager, while the web redesign team included a project manager, designer, developer, copywriter, and team lead. The digital team was composed of a project manager, SEO expert, copywriter, and several other resources.

I’ve been through numerous corporate rebrandings in my career, and this is the quickest adoption of a new brand I’ve ever seen. Internal stakeholders, employees, and clients were overwhelmingly positive in their discussions of the new brand. Employee morale shifted immediately after launch, and our sales team was much more confident.

The website results were just as impressive. Within weeks of the launch, visitors reached an all-time high and traffic to business-critical pages grew significantly. An interactive web tool we revamped reached its highest traffic in two years, and conversions drastically improved.

The entire Walker Sands team was extremely easy to work with and amazingly responsive. The processes put in place and the account managers I worked with were seamless. To this day, I still use the tools we used for the web redesign and digital campaigns because they were so effective and instrumental to our success.

Their ability to understand and adapt to their client is outstanding. I've worked with other agencies with a certain level of arrogance, but I never once encountered this with any member of the Walker Sands team. They listened to us, took our feedback to heart, and came up with brilliant ideas. I also think they are the whole package—smart, creative, hard-working, technical, strategic, and genuinely nice.

No, not that I can recall. I can’t say enough good things about them.

PPC & SEO for Internet Company

"As soon as we give them [Walker Sands] a project, they really stick to their deadlines well, and the end product is always really well done."

Walker Sands provides a variety of services for the client, including PPC, SEO, strategy, and analytics, with a focus on generating and qualifying leads.

Tampa, FL
Ashley Bauer
Senior Digital Marketing Manager, Magnetic

Walker Sands has contributed to the client’s excellent results, most notably a 12% rise in conversion rate and a reduced cost per acquisition. The agency is recognized for their communication, flexibility, and excellent project management skills.

I work for Magnetic, a technology company with a marketing platform for enterprises, brands, and agencies. Our prospecting, remarketing and merchandising solutions help marketers find, keep and bring back customers across channels and devices.

I am the senior digital marketing manager of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Walker Sands?

Our biggest challenge that Walker Sands helps us address is the top of our funnel with qualified leads. We were doing a good job getting leads through the PPC channels that we run with Walker Sands, but we were having difficulties in qualifying leads. So worked with them to make sure our targeting ads and landing pages were all synced in terms of messaging and better poised to give us qualified leads, not just junk.

We work with Walker Sands on PPC and SEO campaigns. We’ve had that level of service with them for just over a year now. They work with us on everything between strategy and analytics. They do the bulk of the day-to-day execution on those campaigns. They are also responsible for setting up our analytics to properly capture the results of all those campaigns, which is a nice little perk that they offer.

How did you come to work with Walker Sands?

They were recommended to us.

Our monthly cost is that under $10,000.

It is ongoing work.

We went through a big site redesign this fall and then reworked a lot of our paid campaigns. When we first launched our campaigns, we were seeing pretty low conversion rates. Between Q4 when our new site launched and then into Q1, we’ve seen a 12% lift in our conversion rate, which has been really great. They were also able to reduce our CPA [cost per acquisition] by 12%, as well.

How did Walker Sands perform from a project management standpoint?

Walker Sands’ project management skills across the board for our services are really top-notch. They are really easy to work with and open about our results. They provide weekly reports for our PPC efforts, so it’s really easy to keep a really good pulse on how we’re performing overall. The same goes for their SEO work. As soon as we give them a project, they really stick to their deadlines well, and the end product is always really well done. They keep me to my deadlines too, which is always appreciated.

What distinguishes Walker Sands from other providers?

Their communication skills are outstanding. They have a good amount of flexibility for their clients from what I’ve noticed. They are always super quick to respond to emails, and they're always super flexible and transparent.

Is there anything Walker Sands could have improved or done differently?

I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. They are doing a great job.

User Experience Design for Loyalty Program Company

"Walker Sands has been awesome. They are always delivering on time or even earlier, which makes my job easy."

The client partnered with Walker Sands for the task of redesigning three websites, which included updating the content, navigation, and user interfaces of all three.

Toronto, Canada
Marketing Manager, Loyalty Program Company

The client has enjoyed their partnership with Walker Sands thus far. The agency is praised for their organization, transparency, and ability to offer a unique perspective. The client has no criticism for Walker Sands and recommends them to others.

We create products for loyalty programs that help companies engage their members. We also work with merchants who then are able to award the loyalty program points and miles to their customers through our partnerships.

I am a marketing manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Walker Sands?

I'm specifically working with them on a project to revamp our website. We have three websites, a consumer website, a website for developers, and a website for businesses and loyalty programs, that showcase our products.

The initial challenge is that most people are ending up on our consumer-facing website. If you were a business, a loyalty program, or a developer, it wasn't very easy for users to find the way to the information that they needed. They are also working with us on PR.

It's a big project we're working on with Walker Sands. We're looking at redoing the structure of the sites as well as the way people move between the sites. They're helping us update not only the content of those three sites, but also the navigation and the structure, so that it's easier for users to find their way between them. They are ultimately, improving user flow and updating content on the sites.

How did you come to work with Walker Sands?

I actually don't know because I wasn't part of that process. We do work with them for PR, so that's how I found out about them.

For this specific project, it cost between $10,000 and $50,000.

It's ongoing work.

The project is still in the early stages, and nothing has been implemented yet.

How did Walker Sands perform from a project management standpoint?

Walker Sands has been awesome. The project has a very tight turnaround for the amount of work that they're doing, and they're super organized. Quinn [Sharp, digital account executive at Walker Sands], the person who is leading the project, has sent out great documents that track our progress. We know exactly when to expect things and when we need to deliver things to them. We're meeting weekly to review assets and updates, which has been very helpful. They are always delivering on time or even earlier, which makes my job easy.

What distinguishes Walker Sands from other providers?

Aside from delivering on time, which is huge, they are not afraid to push back. I've been with my company for a long time, and it's a project I've worked on three or four times before, so what I've really appreciated is their outside view of the company and our products. They sometimes push me when I feel uncomfortable with changes to terminology or changes in the way that we're describing something. They're eager to come back and give a new perspective. That's been super helpful.

Is there anything Walker Sands could have improved or done differently?

No, I don't think so. They've been good. I work with a ton of external vendors, and I've honestly had no complaints about working with them. It's been great. They've made me look good internally, too.

That one is harder for me to answer because we haven't finished the project yet.

Private Equity Firm Online Marketing Work

"Their SEO expertise stands out. Their approach for the content you want to optimize on your site is very good."

Walker Sands redesigned about one hundred micro-websites for small firms that had been acquired by a private equity group. Walker Sands provided web design and digital marketing for each site.

Chicago Metro Area
Vice President, Private Equity Firm

Walker Sands' work improved lead generation for a major website. Although design occasionally lags, their SEO expertise is exceptional: for every project, they successfully build content around identified keywords.

Please describe your company.

I’ve worked with Walker Sands a few times. I used to work at a private equity firm that owns a portfolio of companies. They helped redesign three or four websites for those firms. The private equity firm I previously worked for helps buy small businesses.

What was your role and responsibilities?

I was a vice president at the private equity firm. My role was to help them find new companies to buy. I helped them do a better job of online marketing.

What was your goal for working with Walker Sands?

They helped us with online marketing efforts.

The first time I worked with Walker Sands was at a startup. They helped us build out these micro sites. There were roughly a hundred of them. I worked with them on SEO [search engine optimization] strategies and website redesign projects with SEO in mind. When we redesigned the pages, we optimized them for SEO.

Can you provide more details on the online marketing campaign?

Walker Sands is very strong on SEO and has a deep expertise. They are not in the top tier in terms of design, but that is more subjective. Some people just like different styles. They can make a site that will work very well, and their CMS [content management system] is very good and easy to use. If you want to add content or make changes to the site, you can do that through their CMS.

The design is OK. I wouldn’t say it's awesome. The spirit of what we needed was met. I am less concerned with how pretty it looks versus whether we're getting traffic and leads. That's what they’re very good at.

What was your process for selecting Walker Sands with which to work?

I found them when they did an SEO project. We looked at a few different firms in Chicago, where we're based. They were the best that we came across. When I went to Hedley Capital, I compared their pricing for the website redesign against a few other firms, and they were very competitive on pricing. We selected them because their quality of work was better than we found, and I found that they were priced competitively. The combination of the two made them very attractive.

The website redesign budget depends on how much content you have. If you have a microsite, it's not that much. An average-sized site that they helped us redesign was in the $25,000 to $30,000 range. They price their services differently if you plan to do monthly maintenance with them, which they’re very good at from the SEO content. They charge a monthly fee for that. If you want them to manage your paid search kit, they can do that too for a percentage of the spend. In general, their pricing is reflective of what the market has to offer, and they’re very competitive.

When was the last project completed with Walker Sands?

The last project they completed was a redesign for SGA.net that was completed in December of 2013.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

They designed another site for us, Sproutnet.com. There was a lot of content on that site, but it wasn’t optimized. The founder had written all the content about Sprout, but didn't optimize it for the search engines to find it. After the redesign, we saw an incremental improvement in leads we were generating on a monthly basis. The leads went up by a meaningful amount, and we ended up selling more equipment as a result of the work they did.

Their SEO expertise stands out. Their approach for the content you want to optimize on your site is very good. They also help identify the keywords we want to optimize for and how to build content around those keywords. They are very good at that process.

On the design side, they can invest more in designers. Overall, their design is fine, it's adequate. If I were to say one thing that they could improve on, it would be the quality of the designers they have on staff.

MPN Research Adwords Campaign

"It does seem like they have a great deal of intimate knowledge of SEO and AdWords and how all that works."

Walker Sands optimized Google AdWords for a nonprofit’s special campaign. Key efforts included maximizing web traffic, increasing newsletter subscribers, and upping donations.

Chicago Metro Area
Deputy Director, MPN Research Foundation

As a result of Walker Sands' keyword optimization, there has been a significant increase in site traffic and an uptick in newsletter subscriptions. The WSD team is very responsive over email, and they continue to demonstrate their expertise in digital marketing.

Please describe your company.

MPN Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization that funds research into a type of rare blood cancer called myloproliferative neoplasm. I am the deputy director and was involved in this project with Walker Sands.

What was your goal for working with Walker Sands?

Our goal has been to attract more people to the website, and to get them to sign up for the free newsletter that we have and potentially make a donation. There is an online and hard copy newsletter.

Their work focused on online marketing. They’ve worked with us in other capacities, but one of the biggest projects was working with AdWords. That is the only online marketing we do.

What was your process for selecting Walker Sands with which to work?

We were already working with them when we did our website overhaul. We had been managing our AdWords in-house. Google Grants allows nonprofits to apply up to $10,000 per month in free AdWords. We applied and managed it ourselves for about two years, and we got very incremental growth. We were nowhere near the $10,000 per month. The goal was to spend as much of Google's money as possible to reach as many people as possible. The measure of success is what you're actually spending in in-kind service per month. We were only doing up to $2,000 per month, just managing it in-house. No one here is a dedicated marketing professional. I used to do it, and I needed to find someone to check up on the ads monthly to retain the funding.

We hired Walker Sands to take over the AdWords campaign. They took over, re-organized, and cleaned up our AdWords. They did a great job of putting the ads in different categories. They also regularly looked at traffic patterns for people searching for related terms. We knew that we had to do it, but never did. They really impressed us with this trial run. We kept them on to manage the service after they proved that they did a great job.

We spend about $1,500 to $1,800 per month. The work is ongoing, and it is open ended.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It's hard to measure. We’ve been figuring out how to have Walker Sands report the metrics to us. We have seen a great deal of growth in terms of traffic to our website. A lot of it has been in paid ads, and our organic has gone up as well. That is somewhat related to the paid ads, because your ranking is related to overall traffic. Our traffic is very high. We have seen some growth in what we consider to be an important metric, which is the registration for the newsletter for patients and their families. That metric hasn’t grown as much as we would like. It's not commensurate with the amount of traffic that we get, but it's inching up. We're still trying to work on that ourselves. That's not Walker Sands' fault.

How did Walker Sands perform?

They’ve been excellent. The person we work with on this project is very responsive. He issues reports frequently, and he's always there to follow up with answers to questions when we dig into the details. They are very responsive via email, which I appreciate very much.

We haven’t worked with other firms in this exact capacity. It does seem like they have a great deal of intimate knowledge of SEO [search engine optimization] and AdWords and how all that works. We have worked with several other marketing firms, and I don’t think anyone is as much into the details of this as they are. They seem extremely knowledgeable.

This is a stretch, but perhaps if they were seeing trends in keywords that were relevant to our disease group. Perhaps one of their departments could suggest action in another marketing realm that would be pertinent. That may be a way for them to exploit the knowledge they already have, to be more proactive with the AdWords results. I want to be fair. They did a fantastic job for us. This did not influence the AdWords project.

There was no variation there.
    Everyone can always improve.