Top-Rated American Software and UX Design

Waker is a top-rated user-experience and software development company based in the United States. We have invested years into empowering growing startups, global Fortune 500 companies, and local businesses to deliver innovative solutions. Our clients consistently trust us to focus and strategize digital products that their users will love.

Columbus, OH

SEATCYCLE

TICKETFIRE Image

TICKETFIRE

App Development for Education Startup

"If I launch another company, one of my first calls will be to Appify."

Waker (formerly Appify) developed a native app (iOS/Android) for an educational tech company. They performed backend work, web application, marketing strategy, and design work; they will continue to provide ongoing updates.

Atlanta, Georgia
Rostam Zafari
Founder & CEO, Mystro

The app features great UI/UX: tutors and users are excited about the ease of use and the earning potential from the app. Waker's (formerly Appify) leadership, commitment to meeting deadlines, and devotion to client satisfaction were clear strengths of this collaboration.

Mystro is a tech company based in Atlanta. We do in-person and online tutoring nationwide in all sorts of academic subjects and offer test preparation. The Mystro app allows student users to connect with amazing tutors. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Appify?

I needed to find a quality development team. The goal was to create a platform for high-school students to be tutored by college students who are relatable to them and could inspire them. I had previously contracted with an Indian firm to build a minimum viable product (MVP), which was done in PHP. It was breaking all the time, so we had to scrap it and start again.

I wanted to find a team that could build an app right the first time and do it cost-effectively. I didn’t want to work with a company that outsourced the development work overseas. In my experience, the quality of the product suffers when you do that.

Appify did everything in terms of the tech side of the project. They were basically our CTO. We worked primarily with Phillip, one of Appify’s founders, who is one of the sharpest people I’ve met. There’s no one like him. He didn’t just do what we said; he wanted it explained, and he wanted to know why. He often came back with better alternative solutions.

We had an in-house designer, but Appify also worked on the design. They did all the development. Phillip led two teams throughout the project. At our highest point, we had five people on the project, including mobile, iOS, and web developers. They built a native iOS app, mostly built on Objective-C. They also built a web app in Angular 2, with the backend in Ruby.

Appify also provided a lot of marketing material and assisted us with a marketing strategy. Most of their work was in the app development, but their experience working on other apps helped to guide us. They have a large talent pool from which to pull resources based on the project’s needs.

I haven’t seen any bugs in the finished product. They’re now working on a retainer to complete some upgrades to the app.

How did you come to work with Appify?

One of our lead investors referred me to an engineer who worked at Google, who then introduced me to Phillip. We looked at dozens of firms, but we couldn’t find anyone who matched our criteria for quality and price.

How much have you invested with Appify?

We’ve invested around $50,000 in this app. They’re the only firm that said they could make a quality app for that price.

We started working on the platform in March of 2016, and it just launched in February of this year. We’re still working with the Appify team to expand several key features. We’re about 95% complete, and we’ll keep adding and tweaking based on feedback from our users. We currently have a contract with them through the end of 2017.

Most important is how the users feel about it. Our tutors are excited about the ease of use and the income potential the app gives them. The payment system is easy, and it’s built with college students in mind. Parents appreciate how the app gives them all the information they need to find a tutor for their high-school students.

We’ve already had over 220 tutoring sessions. We’ve done some tutoring boot camps. It’s growing very quickly, and we’re now preparing to speak with bigger companies about possible business opportunities. A lot of this is happening because Appify took what we wanted and made it happen in the smartest way possible.

How did Appify perform from a project management standpoint?

The project was broken up into timelines, and the Appify team was very good. I remember a couple of times when they said they wouldn’t sleep until they made a deadline. We were in contact with them until 3:00 am or 4:00 am. That level of commitment meant a lot to us.

We used Waffle.io as a project management tool. My co-founder tagged the features due on specific dates, and Phillip managed the project on their end. All we had to do was upload designs and explain them thoroughly, and he handled everything else.

What did you find most impressive about Appify?

Phillip is the most impressive aspect of Appify. He manages a lot of talented developers, but he is so technically sharp. He’s a fantastic entrepreneur and has great talent, commitment, and attitude. I would love to hire him full-time.

The team at Appify are top engineers in the U.S. They’re fair and honest, and they really want to see their clients do well. They got it done over and over again. I appreciate people who get things done the way they say they will.

Are there any areas Appify could improve?

No. If they want to expand, they could bring in more design talent, but they’re a great development team.

Overall Score If I launch another company, one of my first calls will be to Appify.
    They always laid their cards on the table, and they always met the deadlines.
    I would give them a 6. There’s no other firm that gives you this quality for this price.
    They delivered quality and took time to explain any changes they made.
    I’ve referred around 20 teams to Appify, and I think several have contracted with them. I only do that because their service is absolutely phenomenal.

MVP for Academic Social Network App

“I don't think anybody can surpass their quality, dedication, and efficiency.”

Sept. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Waker (formerly Appify) expedited the development of an MVP for an app that allows students to collaborate for learning.

Columbus, Ohio
CEO, Social Education App

Waker (formerly Appify) exceeded expectations, delivering a top-notch app within the deadline and at a reasonable price. Their availability, communication, and speed were outstanding.

I'm the CEO of a mobile app helping college students build a valuable network for all of their academic needs.

Our goal was to quickly create a seamless and deployable minimum viable product (MVP).

They've got a great reputation in the industry, not only for outstanding development, but also for communication and efficiency.

Appify developed our entire application. They took our concept and turned it into a legitimate product within a very short period of time.

Appify provided us with a project manager and two full-time developers.

Our app was delivered ahead of time and surpassed our expectations for an initial MVP. It has allowed us to gain traction within universities.

We could contact our project manager at any time. He addressed our questions and concerns immediately.

We were impressed with the constant communication and rapid turnaround for any iterations we requested.

We didn’t see any areas for improvement.

Overall Score I don't think anybody can surpass their quality, dedication, and efficiency.
    They were very responsive.
    The pricing was fair, considering the quality and short development cycles.
    They were dedicated to making our experience as smooth as possible.
    It was a great experience, so we will be bringing all future development back to Appify.

Mobile Dev for Social Education App

“Ghost Lab delivered an incredible product ahead of schedule—it was everything we dreamed it would be.”

Sept. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Waker (formerly Ghost Lab) built the MVP of a mobile app that allows students to connect with classmates and learn collaboratively. The team also helped with branding, testing, and submission to the app stores.

Columbus, Ohio
Co-Founder, Social Education App

They kept their promise, completing a deployable app within a limited timeframe. Waker's (formerly Ghost Lab) constant communication and advice inspired confidence and helped expedite the project.

I’m the co-founder of a mobile application that facilitates student interaction outside of the college classroom. This is done through course-relevant study sessions.

For what projects/services did your company hire Ghost Lab?

We needed help with branding as well as end-to-end design and development.

Our goal was to create a seamless, deployable minimum viable product quickly.

They had a reputation for delivering quality development with some of the best interface design I've seen in the industry.

Ghost Lab worked with us from the conceptualization of the product to our upcoming launch. They made sure we understood every step of the way. Following completion, testing was rapid, allowing us to quickly submit our product to both Android and iOS stores. Ghost Lab also handled this for us.

A handful of developers were involved as well as a very talented user interface and user experience design specialist.

Ghost Lab delivered an incredible product ahead of schedule—it was everything we dreamed it would be. Thanks to them, we're gearing up to launch our pilot at a handful of major universities at the end of the month.

How effective was the project management?

It was seamless. Nafis [CEO, Ghost Lab] stayed in constant contact with me and my team. They always kept us updated about completed milestones and let us know of any delays. We also received valuable input for various decisions our team had to make throughout the process.

The best part had to be the constant communication. My team and I felt at ease throughout the entire process, thanks to their weekly updates. Any questions or issues we had were immediately answered and resolved.

Regardless of what stage you're at, Ghost Lab can provide critical value. They can manage multiple, fairly large products all at once while providing everybody with top-tier service.

Overall Score At the end of the day, they delivered on everything they promised and more. Today, that kind of service has a great impact.
    They were always in constant contact.
    Given the scale of our product, it seemed fair.
    Everything that we asked for and more was delivered ahead of schedule.
    It was an incredible experience working with this talented team. We will be bringing all future work their way.