Do it with Vigor

Vigor is a niche group of restaurant branding and marketing experts with big thinking and innovative strategy as our driving force. For over 10 years we have been collectively shaping the restaurant, beverage, and hospitality industries with fresh, new concepts, iconoclastic branding and design, and innovative marketing strategies that challenge convention. We push the envelope. We think big and deliver even bigger.

2003

Steak N' Shake

Johnny's Pizza House

Erik's Delicafe

Branding Strategy Restaurant Branding Strategy for Large Hotel Chain

“The satisfaction level on what we delivered and the output was extremely high.”

Jan. - June 2016

Vigor developed a customizable marketing strategy to be distributed globally. They explained current restaurant and bar marketing and provided the tools, inspiration, and guidance to drive local business.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Bethesda, Maryland
Heather Jacobs
Marketing Consultant, Marriott Internatinonal

Vigor delivered expertise that was not available internally. Their knowledge of current bar and restaurant marketing trends helped lead this global company’s operations team to have a better understanding of how to increase business locally. These thought leaders guide with poise and flexibility.

I’m a senior level marketing consultant for Marriott International. I’ve worked on projects that are hotel brand led. We’re based in Bethesda, Maryland.

What challenge were you trying to address with Vigor?

I was working to develop a better marketing guide and better marketing perspective that was very food and beverage driven in a contemporary way. We had started an initiative to modernize our hotels that have restaurants and bars to get them more in touch with locals. We have the stigma attached to being a hotel bar and restaurant, and that it wasn’t a contemporary and innovative place for people to go. We had done some work from an operational standpoint, but the next part was from a marketing perspective. We needed to teach and inspire our current restaurants and bars, as they update, to understand how to market. They had only been relying on our hotel guests to bring in business. We needed to find an agency to help us with our marketing strategy.

There are a lot of rules put on how and when to reach out to our operations team, especially globally. We had to set it up so Vigor had limited communication with them. Instead, we set up a survey and we had them send examples. Based on that, we coordinated with Joseph [Restaurant & Beverage Brand Strategist, Vigor] to send targeted emails back to people to get more feedback.

The implementation of the strategy was completely the restaurants’ responsibility. They were tasked with how to come up with guides, templates, and creative examples that we can push down and up. We have many restaurants that have their own flavors and concepts. We hired Vigor to condense and explain what restaurant and bar marketing is now and give them enough inspiration and guidance to do it. Then we needed them to help us to tell them that what they have is the bare minimum and they have to do this now. Then we give them the toolkit to do it and teach them how to take it up a notch as they became more proficient or sophisticated.

I had 2 people working with me directly and I had 2–4 people working behind the scenes. A lot of the material was templated. Once we agreed on it, they rolled it out, wrote documents for us to review, and set up creative examples. I didn’t need that many people from a project management standpoint.

How did you come to work with Vigor?

We had an RFP to work with agencies. I got a couple of names from the food and beverage operations team. They weren’t exactly what we needed so I started doing research. In my search, I found Vigor. I made a pitch to my stakeholders saying I wanted to include them in the RFP. They were an outlier, but through the process, they came in strong. I had a 20-minute conversation with Joseph, who called me back right away. I was attracted to the fact that Joseph had his own blog around these topics. They seemed so meshed in what is going on now with a pulse on what is present and what is in the future. We sent over the RFP and they won both from a price perspective and a process perspective. They had done hospitality work before. Because they had enough background and all the parts we were looking for, they were the right fit.

We spent $75,000.

We worked together from January–June 2016.

I don’t have any metrics because a new VP came in and the team got reorganized and I was phased off the project. The satisfaction level on what we delivered and the output were extremely high. It is in all the places it was supposed to be. It has been pushed out globally, and we heard a lot of initial feedback from regional leaders who said that this is what they wanted, but they needed to update it regionally.

From a standpoint of success, because of this work and showing that example, my VP at another company decided to go with Vigor.

How did Vigor perform from a project management standpoint?

They used Basecamp, which was helpful. It was well-managed.

Not much can faze the team. Vigor was not fazed by scope change or people coming in and saying they want to creatively direct. They did a good job of delivering their expertise. They were flexible in allowing us to have influence, but they also guided us. Some agencies give too much pushback and no flexibility. Vigor wasn’t unstructured, but there was that amount of flexibility and ability to take change pretty quickly.

We got the level of expertise that we needed that we couldn’t have accessed internally. They helped us understand what’s up and coming, how to scale things, what’s practical and realistic, and how to activate things. They are a team of people who are thought leaders. They’re great to talk to and picked our brains about things, which is always nice to have.

We got everything we needed and when we needed it by.

Logo Design & Branding for Franchise Food Brand

"I've dealt with a lot of branding agencies and these guys are the real deal."

June 2017 - Ongoing

Vigor is engaged in a complete brand overhaul for a franchise food brand. Potential solutions –based on extensive research – include new logos, menu designs, and a company name change.

Atlanta, Georgia
Mark Kaplan
President, Great Wraps Inc.

Vigor’s knowledge of market trends restored internal confidence. Their unique combination of both branding and graphic design expertise streamlines the development process. They’re able to work collaboratively to offer practical ideas and demonstrate a real passion for successful implementation.

We're a 25-year-old franchise food brand.

What challenge were you trying to address with Vigor Branding?

We found that our brand no longer matched current trends. We needed outside help to modernize our company so we can compete in today’s environment.

We needed a total assessment of not only our own brand, but also the current market trends. We wanted to know what customers wanted from us and how we could fulfill that demand. As a young company, Vigor understood what millennial buyers are interested in. To attract other demographics, they went into the field to conduct research, speaking to our customers and operators.

Having conducted those assessments, we're currently in the middle of a massive rebranding effort. We’re considering implementing a new look, redesigning logos, revising our menus, and we may even change our company name.

Vigor’s main principal, Joe Szala, was very involved. We also work with their branding specialist and their graphic design specialist. They collaborate internally, but also work alongside our in-house designers.

How did you come to work with Vigor Branding?

We’ve worked with several consultants in the past, but never with any success. Vigor’s principal had written an article in an industry trade magazine. I was impressed by his thoughts, so I reached out to him and set up an interview.

We’ve spent around $50,000 for the entire rebranding process.

We started working together in June 2017 and our relationship is ongoing.

While the new brand hasn’t launched yet, it has already made a positive impact on company morale. It’s frustrating when you feel that your brand is out of sync, but Vigor’s efforts have sharpened our focus, renewed our confidence, and increased our passion. By realigning us with current trends, they’ve had an immeasurable effect on internal job satisfaction.

How did Vigor Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

Vigor is unique in that they not only have branding expertise, but they also have graphics capabilities in-house. They’re able to turn around graphic recommendations within 24 hours, streamlining the entire process. Joe specializes in both graphic design and branding, and having branding experience myself, I can speak to his ability.

They’re also flexible, able to take lead on a given task or work collaboratively with our own designers to provide the best solution. They offer practical ideas based on our needs and the needs of our customers instead of wasting time with abstract, theoretical solutions.

Communication has been incredible and they’re very responsive. I can reach Joe at any time of day.

The greatest thing about Vigor is their passion for what they believe in. We completely rejected their first recommendations, but they kept at it, creating mockups for every aspect of the rebrand. They presented these designs to us, and we ultimately decided they had been right all along.

They've also connected us with quite a few outside Internet suppliers, loyalty providers, and point of sale providers.

I've dealt with a lot of branding agencies and these guys are the real deal.

I’m sure there must be something, but I can’t think of anything since we’ve worked so well together.

You must talk to a number of different branding agencies to make sure you work well together. Having worked with several in the past, I can say that they all have different approaches. Even if an agency is qualified, it may not be the best fit for your specific project.