Nearshore Company of the Year, 2017

UruIT is an awarded software development company with offices in Colombia, Uruguay and incorporated in Los Angeles, California.

We bring to the table not only our technical knowledge, but additional skills in usability, UI design, growth hacking and product management, partnering with the most innovative US-based startups and leading SaaS/internet companies.

Client Testimony

“UruIT's culture is unique and very much aligns with ours. They have an Agile, creative, and customer-focused approach, looking at the actual end-users of the products that we're building.”

CTO, Xceligent

"UruIT distinguishes themselves with their technical competency, innovative ideation, and collaborative communication. UruIT have hired the right people and got the cream of the crop."

CTO, Corporate Wellness Firm

"We have been very impressed by the consistent level of craftmanship, team work and innovation UruIT offers with each engineer."

Director, DEG

Whether you’re looking to complement your in-house team or hire a full Scrum development team, we offer design and development solutions for both web and mobile products.

Get to know our services:

• Nearshore Staffing - to complement your in-house team based on a meticulous recruitment process and a strong team dynamic with low attrition rates that deliver excellent results from a convenient time zone.
  • Project Outsourcing - to develop a new application or reinvent an existing product with a mix of local and remote talent, Agile methodologies, and User-Centric design.

Feel free to reach out to us to discuss ideas and see if we are the nearshore outsourcing development partner to help you accomplish your next project!

2007

Programming & scripting
Application platform
CRM solutions
Productivity & collaboration

Corporate: Microsoft, PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers, Telefónica, KIA, DEG, Cleveland Cavaliers, San Diego Padres, World Fuel Services /

SaaS, Software companies: Stackify, Insala, Worksoft, e-Builder, Raisal, Xceligent /

Startups: CRMGamified, Bunee, iKrut, xVoucher, NextLinks Golf

Emergency app becomes cross-platform

DMS creates software that helps disaster response professionals to save lives in the face of risky situations at world events, such as the Mississippi flood and the Boston Marathon. They came to UruIT to develop an Android and iOS version of its existing desktop app, Kardia.

Cross-platform Xamarin Forms app

Team of two developers and a UX designer

Strong focus on the user experience

Feature highlight: the app's scrolling system allows users to complete victim's info on a unique screen

Minimum Viable Product launched in record time: 1 month

Self-help guru's financial planner app that works in conjunction with live event

An internationally known personal development coach and entrepreneur came to us seeking a partner who could help his team to refresh one of its web apps in terms of user experience, reliability, and design

Soon we started to work on this software, a web app that was built to empower participants of a live event so they could understand their current financial situation, the costs of their desired lifestyle and thus, plan the route that will get them there.

Highlights
A discovery phase focused on UX strategies

Heuristic evaluation, demographics, user interviews and other activities that provided input for both the design and development phases

The most complete web & mobile talent platform for professional development

Insala provides talent and engagement solutions for organizations that want to help their employees to develop themselves and live successful career journeys. Some of their clients are Coca-Cola, Unilever, ABC, and ESPN.

Insala has found great benefits in our nearshore model, such as the close timezone and code quality practices. During the last 6 years, we've worked on its web and mobile platforms that serves over 1.5 million users.

Highlights

Remote teams working from Uruguay, Brazil, and the US.

Thoughtful onboarding process to prepare devs for the system's complexity and size.

Development and integration of features with newer technologies, such as Angular and Typescript.

Implementation of GitHub as source control.

High performance marketing tool displays vital data in real time

TopContent automates the process of analyzing and processing data from a website such as traffic, content visibility, and keyword performance by accessing Google Search Console and Google Analytics. Unlike those tools, TopContent offers information via appealing and easy to read dashboards that, besides showing precise data, also give suggestions for improving content.

With this product idea in mind, this founder developed an MVP and soon reached out to UruIT, where we set up a team of two developers, a UX/UI designer and a Product Owner with a heavy focus on performance and UX, to evolve the product.

Highlights

High-level data synchronization and chart management.

Algorithm development for interpreting data and providing users with suggestions.

Interactive mobile app for social indoor golfing

NextLinks is a startup that provides a unique golfing experience by combining a game simulator with real golf played on the greens inside its facilities. They had initially created a smartwatch application, then the founders decided to extend its market reach by launching a mobile version

They came to us looking for an experienced mobile team who could rewrite the app and make it available for both Android and iOS while keeping a clean and attractive user interface.

Shared logic & UI across iOS & Android with Xamarin

Native user interface & performance

Fast delivery

Internal notification system for global telecom giant, Telefónica

The multinational corporation, Telefónica, connects over 1.5 million users through its services in Uruguay.

The company reached out to UruIT to build an internal system to track mobile network errors and downtimes in an effective and reliable way. To do so, a team of two software engineers and a UX designer focused highly on the system interface and user experience so the tool would take off among Telefónica employees.

User-centered design approach

Interviews with different business units to understand needs and perspectives from different departments

Initial backlog for the MVP to stay on budget

Technology upgrade for construction management Saas

The e-Builder SaaS and web-based construction management solution was facing the challenge of adapting to today’s market and user needs while maintaining its twenty-year-old legacy web app with many issues in its queue.

The company came to us to complement its in-house team in order to conduct a technology upgrade and improve the software user experience throughout a multi-year project.

As a result, the support team has seen the number of issues in JIRA reduce by 50%, while end users reported they enjoyed a much faster and more reliable front end for each of the updated modules of the software.

+40 people in a full-time dev team, distributed across the US and South America

Frequent on-site visits

Separate dev teams for upgrade (MEAN stack) and legacy (.NET webforms) support

Vertical slicing approach for faster releases

Mobile app for a health and wellness program

We've been working on a software that facilitates the implementation of health-contingent wellness programs. Through a biometric/blood screening, the app scores users' results and indicates their current health risk. It also provides exercise info, a nutrition plan and a monitor where users can track their progress.

To improve the engagement of users, this client approached UruIT to create the app's mobile version, both on iOS and Android. The result is a multimodal solution in Xamarin Forms Mobile app ported from a web version.

Highlights:

Shared codebase with full coverage of native APIs

One week Discovery Phase onsite to conduct UX activities: an altered version of the Google HEART framework, risk matrices, demographics, and others

Internal user testing sessions for gathering feedback in the early stages

Client-team engagement facilitated by Scrum ceremonies

Design and development updates for automated business process testing software provider

Worksoft creates software used to automate business process testing and discovery for large-scale enterprises such as Kraft Foods and Microsoft. Its products allow users to track, analyze and test over 500,000 business processes in a matter of hours.

After 10 years in business, Worksoft decided to update its products’ digital experience. The goal was to continue featuring its high-performance solutions among its competitors.

UI overhaul and technology update of 3 main products

Technology migration to ensure better code quality and app performance

30 sprints, including an on-site visit to client's HQ

Realization of regular product reviews and planning and retrospective meetings

Technologies used: Angular, TypeScript, WebAPI

Mobile App Dev for Corporate Wellness Firm

"UruIT have hired the right people and got the cream of the crop."

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Using Xamarin, UruIT is developing a mobile app for Android and iOS that provides the same functions as a website. They also offer UI/UX design and API integration.

CTO, Corporate Wellness Firm

Although setting up a workflow took time, UruIT distinguishes themselves with their technical competency, innovative ideation, and collaborative communication. Their rigorous hiring practices and strong team dynamic enable them to approach projects as a capable partner rather than a contractor.

I am the CTO of a corporate wellness firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

I built our platform. Until recently, it was exclusively hosted online. Although there was no mobile component, plenty of people had asked us about an app.

We needed a multimodal offering that brought the website’s functionality to a mobile platform. Having developed mobile apps before on my own, and having done both iOS and Android in tandem, I knew it would be a challenge. I wanted a development team that used a framework like Xamarin so that we could essentially develop the app once for multiple devices.

They used Xamarin as a core technology for this project. They’re using a backend REST API that I developed, along with Docker, Slack, and Swagger. They use Microsoft App Center for distributions.

I work with four people from their team: two developers, a proxy team lead, and a designer.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

I had selected them for another project two or three years ago. At that time, I went through an elaborate process of looking at various shops in Argentina, Uruguay, Mexico, India, and China, and had narrowed it down to eight development shops.

I spoke to each of them individually and was impressed by the fact that UruIT had such an elaborate process for winnowing out their development staff. They only hire one out of every 20 people they interview, which really shows. Before I chose them, everyone I worked with and talked to seemed extremely competent. When I had a project that needed them, it was a natural fit. I also wanted a team that was confident, nearshore and had some overlap with me in terms of time zone.

The big knock on offshore development shops is that you get an army full of people for cheaper than American developers, but that the quality suffers. So far, everyone I have worked with from UruIT is as good or better than the staff I expect to hire in the United States.

When I first talked to them, I got a sense of competency. They’re not a raw development shop; they evaluated my product and my project to see if they wanted to work on it. We interviewed each other on a much more level playing field in terms to determine if this partnership would work. Fortunately, it did.

We have spent about $25,000 and expect to spend $50,000.

We started working with them in November of 2017, and it is an ongoing development project expected to be finished by March.

They are an Agile development shop, and I went down to their office to work with their developers as a kickoff. At the end of the week I was there, we had a beginning app running and deployed to my phone. It didn’t have user interface or logos, but it was a working application. Every week or two we completed a sprint and released something.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

I use Slack, which they use internally, to talk with them when we are not meeting every day. We do a daily Scrum where I call in on a web conference phone line to talk for 5-10 minutes. They use Trello to compile to-do lists and see where things are. A lot of it was informal, since they are very strong on Agile.

When I visited them, we spent an entire week talking about the project, drilling down on user story, talking about success, discussing the sort of things that would keep us up at night, and identifying our fears. As a part of their very comprehensive process, we went through two fairly long daily meetings in both the morning and the afternoon.

They had prepared the entire week for me by the time I got down there, and I just had to attend the meetings. They had a very thorough approach to the project. We used a daily touchpoint to check in and find out where the project was operationally.

Visiting Uruguay to work with their developers was invaluable to me. When I originally talked to them on a conference call, we didn’t have a good connection and I had a hard time understanding everyone on the team. When I sat around a table with them to work, I had no problem whatsoever understanding them. After I went back and had the same type of conference calls, I knew exactly who was speaking, and I never had a problem with vocabulary or grammar.

Being able to spend a short amount of time with the team face-to-face makes a huge difference in project communication. Offering that was important to me. One thing that struck me when I was down there was how strong the team was. They essentially adopted me as a member.

It is basically an independent development team with four or five people, and it doesn’t seem like there is any real strong oversight from the CEO or CTO. They are trusted to be autonomous and to do good work. They all watch out for each other and review each other’s code, as opposed to the model I have seen with Indian or Chinese teams, in which everything is reviewed through an entire stack. UruIT have hired the right people and got the cream of the crop, which has made a difference.

I can’t really think of anything in particular.

During a development project, team dynamics are extremely important. I would recommend taking the time to visit their team in Montevideo. It makes a huge difference, and is well worth the trip and the expense to visit. I feel it has had a transformative, multiplying influence on our productivity for the rest of the project. We got to know everyone on the team and identify their strengths and weaknesses. Getting that done in person sped up the entire project.

Overall Score It is hard for me to think whether I have had a better experience with any vendor, let alone a technology vendor.
    We don’t really have deadlines, but there have a been a couple cases where a user story we thought would be done had to be pushed because we didn’t understand it enough.
    We have had good value. It isn’t cheap, but the developers are as good as any I have worked with in the United States.
    I am very impressed with the quality of service. They are very good about cross-checking each other’s quality and then checking with me. The quality is much higher than I would have expected.
    I have already recommended them twice.

App Dev for Disaster Management Software Firm

“They are very professional and very customer-centric.”

Jun. 2017 - Aug. 2017

UruIT provided quick development in of an app in Android and iOS. They developed the app in Xamarin to provide easy compatibility for future use and support of their source code.

President, Disaster Management Solutions

The team’s expertise in Xamarin helped them to deliver the app versions quickly and cost-effectively. Their developer’s tweak of the interface added an unexpected flair to the end product. Providing excellent project management, they provided a warm welcome to the world of outsourcing.

I am the president of a software firm which provides software for the first response community.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

We were in need of developing an Android and iOS version of a product in a short amount of time, and we didn’t have the resources internally to do this.

They used Xamarin, which is what we use internally. This was important for us as this is our internal development platform where we can take control of that source code and support our client going forward if need be.

From a development standpoint, there were 3 people involved who had different functions. We also worked with 2–3 other people in project management and administration.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

I did a Google search on Xamarin development, and they were 1 of the first organizations that popped up. I reached out to them and explained our very simple project. I didn’t do an exhaustive analysis, but I was convinced that they had the resources and expertise to develop it as they had done similar things in the past. It was cost-effective and within our budget to work with them.

We spent less than $10,000.

We started working with them in late June of this year, and the project was completed in August.

There is a possibility of phase 2 in the future.

The goal was to deliver a product that our customer could utilize and would allow them to demonstrate to the people above them within their geographical area that we had a functional product that could work on Android and iOS platform. We were able to deliver that. They did a test and were able to conduct a transaction which showed up on our website and presented to them that we had this capability within the system. They delivered the product in a short amount of time, which was wonderful.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated with them by video conference via Skype a lot. In addition, they used a project management tool which kept me apprised of all the work they were doing. They did a version of Agile internally, and they did sprints. Everything they were focusing on was laid out. When we had our weekly conference calls, they reviewed what they did that particular week and invited feedback along the way. They had a good tool set, more than what I needed to manage the project from my end.

I hadn’t planned on spending a lot of effort on the interface for the application, but 1 of their developers took our logo and modified it and did such a wonderful job, which is something I was amazed by. It was 1 of the first things they did and provided a great flair to the outcome, which was really helpful.

There is nothing significant that stands out. Most of the people spoke English very well, and I had no trouble whatsoever, but there was a bit of a challenge to understand 1 developer. However, I could eventually understand him.

Overall Score It was my first foray into outsourcing, and it was definitely a positive experience.
    There were no delays.
    It was close to budget and went a little bit over.
    They are very professional and very customer-centric.

Multiple Developments for Telefónica Uruguay

"They are very detailed, genuine, demanding in a good way and go the extra mile."

2012 - 2017

In this engagement with Telefónica, UruIT has two permanent contracts with up to six developers providing ongoing support and development services to the telecommunications company.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Digital Channels Manager, Telefónica Uruguay

UruIT's developers and support staff always delivers on time and achieves all set objectives. Their personalized service and knowledge of the market are appreciated and important for the company's digital channels' success. Their team is very detailed, genuine, demanding in a good way, and they go the extra mile.

Introduce your business and what you do there

I am one of the marketing leads of Movistar Telefonica in Uruguay. I’ve been with the company for 20 years and I manage all of the digital channels within the marketing department, our public and private website, and mobile apps development.

With them, we developed everything related to the ‘Proximon’. This database has the API’s and links to our clients. We have all the correct information for our clients there. This year we started the integration process of this Proximon towards full-stack which was installed in a soft launch format in April this year, and the full launch for the migration of our entire client database with more than 1 million clients in the country. We did this with another provider. This was a successful operation within Telefonica and we were the first in Latin America to do the migration of 100% of our clients' database in full-stack.

This also allowed us to have an important and detailed migration project. It required lots of personalization so that these clients were able to do the same things with the tool that they were able to do previously. This was the biggest challenge we addressed with UruIT.

Currently, we have two permanent contracts with them for support and development. They rotate but we always have 2 people. Developers also provide support at times. We are always solving problems. They manage to keep their people motivated. We’ve had up to 6 developers and we have a daily and very personalized relationship. They used full stack and Microsoft technologies.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

They used to work with us before I started in this role, but it must have been through local references in this market. It’s hard to find local providers with this type of personalized approach and it takes time for them to get to know our business.

How much have you invested with UruIT?

We have two contracts for development and support. Development hours are more or less $350,000 per year.

We have an ongoing collaboration.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

I’ve been in this position for a year and they were already our providers or strategic partners. We have a very direct relationship. Our internal IT department does not develop solutions that we need for our channels. UruIT is not an in-house team but they practically are, given how much we work with them. They develop an agile system to deliver our solutions. They are our main developers regarding the previously mentioned channels.

We have a demanding roadmap and calendar. Our digital channels and the web are very dynamic. It’s important to have everything up to date and UruIT has always delivered within their two-week sprints. The objectives are always achieved with them.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Trello, for example, where we have a clear and fast visualization of statuses. Before two-week production sprints, we coordinate with our internal teams to reserve timeframes. We test on Mondays, we get together with the team, revise what will be uploaded and we approve. If anything needs adjustment, we do it then. There are other longer term projects that last months. UruIT’s following-up and project management roles are important for our internal processes in IT, marketing, operations.

What did you find most impressive about UruIT?

In the migration to full-stack, everything was well coordinated with UruIT. The whole plan and announcements to the clients, specific messages depending on each operation and customer service. Everything flowed without any problems. It’s not easy to transition to full-stack in the way it was done and that digital channels accompany this without any issues.

Are there any areas UruIT could improve?

Nothing comes to mind at this point.

They meet all deadlines and sometimes they rush us.
    Their services are a good investment for us.
    They are very detailed, genuine, demanding in a good way and go the extra mile.
    They are very trustworthy.

Feature Development for Computer Software Firm

"The biggest plus that I've seen with [them], compared to our other teams, is their thoroughness."

Jul. - Nov. 2016

UruIT supports integrations between separately developed web/mobile solutions and 3rd party solutions like Google Drive and Marketo. They also supply dev resources when necessary.

Vice President, Product Management

Highlights include access to a wide variety of technical expertise and a clear eagerness to please their clients. Those interested in hiring UruIT are advised to visit their team in-person, which is likely to increase the chances of a successful solution.

We're a Series-B startup based in San Francisco. We're focusing on mobile experiences by finding a niche between mobile apps and mobile websites. While mobile apps are fairly effective, no one wants to download one except for the few companies that users deal with daily. On the other hand, mobile websites are not that great. We provide a mobile platform that allows companies, mostly enterprises, to use drag-and-drop tools to build powerful, engaging, and beautiful mobile experiences that don't require a native app download.

I am the vice president of product management. I’m in charge of our software-as-a-service platform, including all of the features and functions. Customers use these features in order to build apps, publish them, and watch insights roll in.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

A few months ago, we were strapped on the development side. We have a small team in San Francisco but the job market makes it tough to hire people. We also have a team in Lithuania, but they have been busy managing our staff's application functionality.

UruIT has extended our team, working on features for which we didn't have the bandwidth. They were originally scoped for working on external integrations for partners, like marketing automation and CRM systems. A third feature on which UruIT worked on was integration with Google Drive, enabling our platform to feed content into it.

The first feature built by UruIT was an addition to our sharing capability. After an instance is authored and published, we can share it on a number of different channels like Facebook and Twitter. UruIT extended this to include Campaign Monitor, a marketing automation solution. They added a couple of features to our share tab, allowing us to export the cover image and other elements which are required in an email campaign. It was a small test feature done in order to onboard UruIT's team.

We then offered them a more involved feature, namely an integration with Marketo, a better-known marketing automation solution. It was a real integration, including account linking and authentication on the backend. Authors can enter their credentials, link accounts, and export their products via the Marketo email distribution platform. It can be done as either a single instance or as a bulk export of multiple apps. These features allowed us to become published within Campaign Monitor and Marketo's app stores. As a result, we are able to share a market pipeline.

The Google Drive integration allows our enterprise clients to gather contact information from prospects through forms. It also allows users to download PDFs or other content, for example. Previously, we only allowed users to send that content to themselves via email, which was limiting for an enterprise. This new feature allows users to send any type of information captured via forms to their Drive, populating spreadsheets.

UruIT assigned 2 developers, a technical lead and one part-time project manager for our work. We worked with the full-time developers for almost 3 months. We run an Agile operation so their team needed to conform to this in terms of requirements, designs, and frequency of release cycles. The developers used AngularJS and Java.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

Our CTO reached out to me and suggested UruIT when we were looking for additional developers. I checked the company out and had a couple of calls with UruIT. After those calls, I engaged them with a test project.

How much have you invested with UruIT?

Our average bill was between $20,000 and $30,000 per month. In total, we have spent between $60,000 and $80,000 on their services.

We started working with UruIT in early August of 2016. We're about to have a call with the team and wrap things up.

Qualitatively speaking, UruIT's team are good people, easy to work with, and engaged in the process. They are thorough, not only in development and testing, but also in terms of communication. We always get a head's up on how things are going week-by-week. Our Lithuanian team definitely works faster, but not as diligently as UruIT. UruIT thought through all use cases and exceptions, taking the heavy burden of testing off of our hands. UruIT took quality seriously, which was a huge bonus. In working with them, I felt good about not having to do as heavy testing as we would have normally done.

We don't have any metrics around the deployed software. The Campaign Monitor was more of a minor test project and we don't have a lot of business through that channel. The Marketo feature was launched 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if anyone's using it yet. The Google Drive functionality will only be launched the following Thursday.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

Budget-wise, UruIT's work was good, but getting expectations and timelines down took some practice. In the beginning, UruIT's team was a bit over-eager and zealous in promising timeframes for our work. Some of this may have been initial enthusiasm combined with not knowing what it would take to have our deployments delivered. We have a multi-team process, including a production operations team involved in managing environmental variables. We may not have fully expected some complications in launching early features. However, UruIT's pace was such that, even if things took a bit longer, we were still fine budget-wise. UruIT has a lower cost structure than our own. Also, I didn't give them any critical or urgent features to build in the beginning.

We primarily used Jira for logging bugs and features, as well as for requirements communication. We used Confluence in order to document designs and send them to the UruIT team. We had stand-in meetings every day in order to communicate designs and hear UruIT's questions and concerns. We also had regular quick communication through a Slack channel. UruIT is 3 hours ahead of us, so there was good overlap in terms of time.

What did you find most impressive UruIT?

The biggest plus that I've seen with UruIT, compared to our other team, was their thoroughness. Both the developers and the project owner focused on quality.

Are there any areas UruIT could improve?

This may have been because we were in the early stages of the project, but it was challenging to get reasonable timeline expectations for our first 2 features. UruIT took twice as long as we thought they would. A part of this was on us as well, but UruIT could improve in understanding the complexities of working with a new team. They need to factor this into scheduling.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with UruIT?

Clients need to spend face-time with the developer, especially in offshore and outsourced scenarios. There's no substitute for this. I had a very good working relationship with the team in Lithuania even before visiting them in person. Even though it wasn't easy traveling to their office, I felt that getting out there made working together much easier. I spent a week in their environment. We bonded over lunch and dinner, which helped understand me the personalities of their team. Visiting the partner for a week, 2–3 times a year at a minimum, is important.

UruIT started off as a 3 at best. They hit a 4 with our last feature. That was delivered to plan and on time.
    This was UruIT's shining point.
    I would be happy to recommend them.

Nearshore Dev for Consumer App Startup

"Everyone on [their] team was very friendly and eager to learn."

June - Oct. 2016

UruIT used Xamarin to convert existing iOS/Android solutions into a .NET counterpart, allowing users with Microsoft devices to select and donate to their preferred charities.

Boston, Massachusetts
Chief Technology Officer

Highlights include resource flexibility and a more proactive approach to solution engineering, all with comparable pricing to similar nearshore providers.

We are a startup company focusing on unique mobile development. I am the chief technology officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

We needed a vendor with the ability to deliver on the spot. As a startup, we couldn't afford a long-term engagement with internally hired developers; it was cost prohibitive.

We have worked with UruIT on developing an Android and iOS application. It allows users to contribute to their charity of choice by posting notes about our sponsors on their social media feeds. We use Xamarin, a .NET application that allows us to generate applications on both platforms using the same code. UruIT has provided 1 developer for this work. We have also used a more senior engineer who acted as a project manager.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

I first worked with UruIT when I was part of a market research firm. We were looking for a company which could develop a business intelligence dashboard for our group. We used a large IT company for the vetting process and came up with a list of nearshore options. UruIT was one of those companies and we gave them a small project. Based on the quality of the code, delivery time, and budget, UruIT came out on top. When I changed jobs, I brought UruIT in again.

How much have you invested with UruIT?

The cost of UruIT's services has been around $150,000.

Our latest project with UruIT started in June 2016 and lasted for 3-months. We have stopped it and took a step back in order to refund and rebuild the team. My past projects with UruIT had durations of 6–12 months.

Our apps are currently live and we have users for them. As a startup, we worked with an accelerator and monitored users on a daily and weekly basis. We wanted to make sure that we were making progress and increasing our paid accounts. We have seen some good increases over the last few months.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

Instead of throwing our work over the wall, we have an Agile approach. UruIT was a part of our team and attended our standups. This is the main reason for our success: we've set the right expectations for our relationship with UruIT. We used Rallydev for project tracking. We chose the platform because it was very cheap for our user number. It allows us to define user stories, backlogs, and sprints within 1 system.

What did you find most impressive about UruIT?

Everyone on UruIT's team was very friendly and eager to learn. Some engineers assigned to our team sometimes acted more proactively, making some key recommendations, and being highly opinionated on how they wanted to approach things. UruIT worked with us the way we wanted.

Are there any areas UruIT could improve?

Maybe have more engineers on the bench. As it is a hot IT market everywhere, it is always good to be able to add engineers to your team very quickly as needed.

There is no cookie-cutter approach for offshore teams. Everything depends on the client's needs and must be taken on a project-by-project basis. A company that plans to work with UruIT needs to employ the same processes. Most importantly, the client needs to ensure they can escalate issues to the administration.

Compared to offshore firms in general, UruIT is definitely an expensive option. For a nearshore company, they rank as a 4.

Ongoing Dev for Real Estate Tech Firm

"They have an Agile, creative, and customer-focused approach."

2014 - Ongoing

UruIT supplies a variety of technical resources ranging from developers versed in angular.js/node.js to those with full-stack experience.

Kansas City, Missouri
Chief Technology Officer

Engagement highlights include cultural alignment and demonstrated familiarity with Agile development. More emphasis on integrated quality assurance was the only possible area for improvement.

We provide subscription-based services for commercial real estate brokers, specifically information related to properties, listings, and relationships of the owners of those properties. We also provide a platform for brokers to show listings, link to their own websites, as well as search and look up analytics in the commercial real estate space. I am the chief technology officer of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

We were developing a new platform using a relatively new stack at the time, with heavy use of AngularJS on the frontend and Node.js on the backend. We had an Agile approach and wanted to find a nearshore partner that could participate in our standups and scrum meetings, as well as have expertise in our tech stack. UruIT fit that bill. They have a culture of quality software development which isn't typically found with third-party vendors.

UruIT has become a partner of our company and an extension of our Agile team, as opposed to a vendor for code.

We are using around 20 resources from UruIT, most of them located in Montevideo, Uruguay. We've also had discussions with UruIT about them opening an office in Colombia, which they did. We are working with 4–5 people from that location. Most interactions are done through the actual scrum teams, including the lead, and all other members, whether they're developers, quality assurance specialists, etc. I interact with resources based on our needs, from architecture decisions, high-level refactoring, and so on. As we adjust our scrum teams and move members around, I will work closely with UruIT for that alignment. I've visited them both in Colombia and in Uruguay.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

UruIT was referred to us while we were looking at several companies in Central and South America. After interviewing several companies, we settled on UruIT.

How much have you invested with UruIT?

I don't have this information.

We have been working with UruIT for 2 years.

UruIT is well-versed in Agile development and has provided some coaching, frontend design, and user experience work. UruIT's strength is in creating well-designed, responsive front-end code, as well as full-stack development, compared to other partners we've used.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

The velocity offered by our developers from UruIT has been equal to what we would have gotten from resources that cost 3-4 times as much in the US. We used Slack heavily for our collaboration, as well as Google Hangouts. We have several Chromeboxes for meetings, and I've also sent one each to the Uruguay and Colombia offices of UruIT.

Are there any areas UruIT could improve?

UruIT doesn't have much depth in terms of quality assurance, and we've had to supplement this with other resources. UruIT recommends partners for this front.

UruIT could improve on the communication aspect.
    UruIT is not as inexpensive as offshore resources in India, but significantly cheaper than US ones, for the same quality.

Microsoft Database Development for Business Intelligence Company

"UruIT is set apart by the quality of their people; they integrate really well with our team."

Jan. 2014 - Ongoing

UruIT developed a survey platform for consumer-based market research. Key tasks included system integration, UX design, and backend coding. All operations took place on the Microsoft stack.

Detroit, MI
Senior Director, Technology at Gongos

UruIT delivered such excellent work they were brought on as a permanent development partner. Their deliverables have massively streamlined operations and increased collaboration. Their resources are laid back and fun, and they’re not afraid to say when they have a better idea.

Gongos brings a consultative approach in developing growth strategies grounded in operationalizing customer-centricity. From product innovation to portfolio management, our teams solve for the tactical to the strategic—today and into the future. By coalescing the disciplines of primary research, data science, and insight curation, Gongos helps fuel an organization’s capacity to gain and apply data-driven wisdom that inspires great consumer-minded decisions.

I am the Senior Director of Technology. I manage our infrastructure and software development staff.

What challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

Market research surveys are a major part of our activity. Our platforms for conducting these were aging, and we wanted to rethink how we integrate them with our other technologies. We had a grand vision for how we wanted them to work together, but didn't have enough developers in-house. We started looking for an outsourced partner which would work as an extension of our team.

We're a solid Microsoft stack company, utilizing Visual Studio, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL server on the backend. UruIT provided database design help, overall system architecture, user interface design and brute-force coding.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

UruIT was referred to us by another market research company. They had been using UruIT and were happy with the services. We assigned a couple of very small projects to UruIT, just to try them out. We were satisfied, so we entered into a much larger engagement.

How much have you invested with UruIT?

The total cost of UruIT's services has been between $500,000 and $1,000,000.

We have a continual contract with UruIT. They're a permanent part of our team. We started the project in January 2014.

I don't have any exact stats or metrics, but as a result of our work with UruIT, our communities have been much more efficiently-run. Many processes have been automated, allowing our staff to have more think time, instead of handling tedious tasks. We've restructured our data collection team, based on the platform. It allows a much greater propensity to collaborate in any data collection process. Initially, our survey programmers did 100% of the work. Our redesigned platform allows them to only worry about the programming details, while non-programmers can handle the bulk of the data collection challenge.

What did you find most impressive about UruIT?

UruIT's time zone aligns with ours very well. If we were partnering with someone in India or some other part of the world, it would be very hard for us to sync unless they were working in the middle of the night. Uruguay only has a 1-2-hour difference to our location.

UruIT has become a true member of our team instead of simply taking orders and building something in which they don't believe. UruIT will always call us on any poorly-written user stories, instead of developing the feature regardless.

Finally, UruIT is set apart by the quality of their people; they integrate really well with our team. Their team is laid-back, fun, and not at all stuffy. Everyone has great English skills as well.

Are there any areas UruIT could improve?

Not anymore. At the very beginning, it took some time for our teams to acquire a routine. This isn't necessarily a knock against UruIT. It's true for any teams that are starting out together and creating a platform as large as ours. Having a significant part of our team be exclusively remote came with a learning curve for us as much as for UruIT.

Overall Score I love these guys.

Full Stack Nearshore Development for Real Estate Firm

"We've been very pleased with their communication and presentation skills."

UruIT was hired for database development and is now engaged across the full stack of development. The team provides services such as web and mobile-based custom software, APIs, database ETLs, and UI/UX.

Blue Springs, Montana
Operations President, Real Estate Firm

UruIT embraces a blended team approach and has developed an enjoyable, personable working relationship. The team consistently delivers work on time, within budget, and with extensive technical knowledge. They are upfront and proactive in communication and mature in their agile methodology.

We are a commercial real estate data and services provider in the United States. We provide data, and applications to use that data, to commercial real estate professionals, including brokers, appraisers, investors, tenants, owners, and pretty much anyone who's involved in commercial real estate. We are one of two companies that provide this service in the United States, and we have been growing aggressively during the last five years. We are currently in about 40 markets, and we are planning to be in the top 65 markets within the next two to three years.

When I began working with UruIT, I was the chief technology officer. I have since taken on a different role as the operations president of one of our business units.

What business challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

I reached out to UruIT about a year and a half ago. At that point, we had not been doing anything with an offshore or nearshore provider. The company had worked with offshore and nearshore providers prior to my coming onboard, but they had mixed experiences with that. Our very first engagement was a very short pilot project. We needed some additional capacity with some database work, so we asked them if we could do a three-week trial.

They provided us with one of their people, and we were very impressed with his performance from the get-go. Even within that period of three weeks, we went ahead and brought on another developer, in addition to extending the three weeks. At that point, we went with a six-month engagement. Before the six months was complete, we added even more people to the team.

During that time, due to the type of work we were doing in different departments, we did expand and started using some other offshore providers in India and Pakistan. Our experience with them wasn't bad, but it was not as positive as our experience with UruIT. We are actually in the process of moving all of our outsourced work to UruIT.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We started with database development. At this point, they're engaged across the full stack of development. On the front end, they use mostly AngularJS, but also some.NET NodeJS. We're also looking at using some additional libraries and frameworks out there, like React, as we move forward.

We have service layers, APIs [application programming interfaces], database, and security concerns to address, a lot of front end application development, and integration, so database ETLs [extract, transform and loads], feeds – that type of thing. We have engaged them on UI/UX [user interface/user experience], with very good results. We're also using their scrum master on a couple of projects, and one person is engaged as a by proxy product owner.

We provide our own custom software as a service to clients, so the software we're working on is all custom, and it's web or mobile based.

We are using a blended team approach, and we use agile methodology. Our development teams are typically anywhere from two to five people, and we break the work down to units that team can focus on. Most of the teams are comprised of both stateside and UruIT people, so we make a lot of use of technologies like Google Hangouts and Skype to do daily scrums, stand ups, and retrospectives. We've also brought people from UruIT to our location to have an initial ramp-up period, which I think has contributed a lot to the success in our relationship.

We had no previous experience with blended teams. Initially, it was because UruIT had the technical knowledge, but our development staff had more of the business knowledge. The blended approach allowed that to be transitioned and disseminated.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

I had been provided their information from a business colleague.

I don't have an exact figure, but it's been several hundred thousand dollars. It's probably in the range of $200,000 to $1 million.

We currently engage 10 or 11 people from UruIT, and we plan to increase that number within the next several months.

We don't have anything that's quantifiable; however, the feedback we've received has all been positive. Initially, our United States developers were concerned that we were going to move all IT [information technology] operations offshore, or somehow relegate them to just maintenance. The interaction with the UruIT team has been great because, now, it's just like one big team. There's not this concern from our developers; they really enjoy working with the people at UruIT. In some cases, they've developed personal relationships outside of the working relationship, so it's been a very positive experience.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

They consistently deliver their assigned work on time and within budget. If they have concerns, they're very proactive about communicating those upfront, and bringing that to the product owner's attention. We were actually less mature than they were when it came to agile methodology, so we've learned from them and have increased our maturity in that. I would classify them as very mature in that respect.

We use an agile software tool called VersionOne to manage all of our user stories, any kind of defect management, that type of thing. We're also using a handful of other tools, like Trello, for metric retrospectives. On a couple of the smaller projects, which were not as involved, we used a tool that UruIT was already using, called Assembla.

Prior to my time with the company, our developers used the waterfall approach. When we engaged with UruIT, we originally planned to mix scrum with waterfall and have a modified agile process. We came to realize that we really just had to commit to agile, that the blended approach was not good. If you are not committed to an agile process, and you wanted to have the blended team approach, it would not work. That's one of the value propositions UruIT brings, that they are definitely an agile team. If you're going to ask them to work on projects in a waterfall approach, it's probably not going to be a good fit.

What distinguishes UruIT from other providers?

UruIT is very proactive in communication, and they're very adept at being direct or blunt in a very professional way. If there are things that we're dropping the ball on, or if they're concerned that we're not following through, they'll make that known in a proactive way. The communication was initially a concern since they speak Spanish as their native language, but we've been very pleased with their communication and presentation skills.

Is there anything UruIT could have improved or done differently?

I can't think of anything. It's been such a positive experience. If anything, my reluctance to be too positive about them is only because I don't want to start competing with other clients for their services.

Part of that was on our end. We needed to get our communication cadence down at the beginning. I would rate the recent work.
    UruIT is not going to be the least expensive option...If you look at their rates on an hourly basis compared to some other firms, they may be slightly higher, but I don't think they're unreasonable.
    They've been very good at keeping specific resources allocated to our team, so that they become very familiar with our processes and language. Also, their process for bringing on new talent is very involved...

Nearshore .NET Development for Boutique IT Consultancy

"I was impressed by the caliber of the technical talent."

UruIT provided nearshore .NET web development for third party clients. Projects included new application development and updates to existing legacy applications. The team recently completed two large projects.

St. Louis Metro Area
Jim Welch
Principal, Piquant Software

With two projects running concurrently, UruIT stayed focused on designated tasks, completing them correctly upfront. The team’s agile project management helped facilitate a transparent, engaged, and integrated relationship. They are in tune with current technologies and eager to start new projects.

We are a consultant company located in St. Louis, Missouri. We have a strong relationship with Microsoft, locally and nationally. We provide software development, architecture, implementation, and deployment services to companies, both in St. Louis and around the country.

I am one of the principals of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

We were explicitly looking for an opportunity to add nearshoring as an offering to our customers. We had lost business because the cost to do this work was too high. Previously, I had done some work with nearshore companies, and I had done a bunch of work with offshore companies, and I was definitely interested in seeing if there was some way that we could potentially leverage nearshore work for some of our clients.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

It was all on the .NET platform, so it was basically web development. Some of the project work was building a brand new application from scratch, and some of it was making changes to an existing legacy application that was complicated and needed some significant work done to it. Both of them were nontrivial.

We had two projects running concurrently with them, and our intended model was for them to be an extension of us. We were the project leads and the face of the project to our local customer, but this was all done with our customer being well aware of our relationship with them.

In the first project, it was more or less spread evenly between our developers and theirs. Then, on the next project, it was more heavily laid on them. We were still involved, but they had more of a partnership and leadership role in that particular project. They had proven themselves to us, and we were comfortable with them taking on more responsibility because their performance was good on the first project. Our teams had about five of their people altogether. We really didn't want anything larger than that. That was sort of the perfect size.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

We were actively looking for a partner and had been exploring and actually done some traveling down to Costa Rica and other places, looking for a suitable partner. Then, we had a specific opportunity; one of our customers, a marketing services firm here in St. Louis, had a series of projects that they needed help with. We needed some good pricing, so we pitched a nearshore model to them, and pitched how we would manage that with them, and they accepted, and we moved on. That's how it got started.

I don't really know for sure, but somewhere in the $150,000 to $200,000 range.

The most recent project was completed about a year and a half ago. We're not working with them actively at this point.

We managed the two projects a little bit differently. One had a very fixed budget and scope, and the other one was a little bit more open-ended. They were good about staying focused on the task that we had set up for them. There wasn't any room in our budget to rework anything; it was important that it be done correct upfront. One of the nice things about working with them was that they strongly embraced agile as a philosophy, and specifically they embraced Scrum as a project management approach, which is exactly how we like to work as well.

By setting up that structure in place, they fell into it naturally because they were comfortable with it. Even though they were a long way away from us, it felt like we were on top of and in complete control of the project at all times. There was never any, "So, what have you been working on?" type of questions during the projects with them.

They were able to integrate themselves with our team quickly on both projects, in a way that allowed them to get up and running, productive, and contribute on the schedule that we absolutely needed to have in order to be successful, on both projects. For me, that was crucial. We just didn't have time to spend cycles figuring out how we would work together. We said, "Hey, how about we work together this way?" They were like, "Perfect" and we just clicked.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

We used Bitbucket and GitHub for all of our source code control, between all the developers. We had developers in three different locations working together: the customer's location, our location, and theirs. The company behind Bitbucket has an offering called JIRA, which is a well-known solution, and they have templates specifically designed for Scrum, and we leveraged those. We were all kind of new to JIRA, and specifically Scrum on JIRA, so it took us a little bit to sort of figure out how to leverage it the right way, but that's the tool we used to manage the project.

The Scrum methodology is a great way to make sure that you're on top of what they're doing, and they're getting that all-important feedback on a daily basis. They were smart enough to be aware of this, too. I think it was good to have that kind of structure in place to make sure that all the different remote teams were in sync.

We also leveraged Skype's chat feature, and that was nice. We were in IM [instant messaging] contact with each other all day long, in addition to our daily stand-ups and the Scrum board. I think that really made all the difference in the success of the projects for us. I would be reluctant to set up any kind of nearshore relationship without that in place.

What distinguishes UruIT from other providers?

I haven't worked with a lot of other nearshore companies. I've worked with a couple out of Costa Rica, and I had good luck with them, too. I wish nearshore arrangements were a little bit of a better-kept secret because sometimes it's hard to get a hold of them. They get very busy. I think what's unique about these guys, in particular, compared to some other nearshore companies I've worked with, is that they're pretty good about making sure that their people are on top of things.

Even though we haven't done business with them for a little while, I stay in touch with them regularly. It's interesting that every time we get into a new technology, like node.js, or Angular.js, or whatever it is, I'll find out that they're dabbling with it, too. UruIT's company culture is very conducive for learning, for them to stay on top of new technologies. I think that that helps because, that way, they're ready, willing, and able to hit the ground running on new projects.

Is there anything UruIT could have improved or done differently?

My honest answer is that I would use them again in a heartbeat, and definitely pitch them to our clients to this day. I was pleased with the quality of the people on their project, especially the technical leaders, who were sharp. I was impressed by the caliber of the technical talent, number one.

Number two, and some of this might be cultural, but compared to offshoring, where you run into the estimation problem time and time again, if they didn't understand something, they would put on the brakes and say, "I don't get it, please explain this to me, so that I don't do it wrong." That was just hugely valuable to us because it meant that the overall quality coming from them was high to begin with before we got into all the testing and system acceptance.

We had one incident where we had one developer who wasn't performing very well. We voiced our concerns with them, and he was replaced with somebody we were pleased with. Honestly, I can't really level any overall criticisms for them.

They were a little bit higher than offshore, but not too bad.
    I'm doing right now.

Microsoft Stack Development for Digital Agency

"I'm still using the same folks we worked with at the start."

Sep. 2014 - Ongoing

After completing a niche custom enhancement to an existing portal, UruIT has been retained to augment the in-house development team on various projects.

Overland Park, Kansas
Director of Enterprise Collaboration, Digital Agency

UruIT’s skills are in high demand and the team is requested as often, if not more, than the onsite developers. They follow consistent project management using Assembla and Slack and have an excellent retention rate, allowing them to develop a long-term, engaged, and transparent working relationship.

We're a digital consultant agency. We have several different practices, including e-commerce, web development, social media consulting, and analytics. My practice focuses on enterprise collaboration, which is typically portal builds, intranets, and extranets, mostly on the Microsoft stack.

I'm the director of enterprise collaboration.

What business challenge were you trying to address with UruIT?

We did a custom enhancement to a previously existing portal. It was a very niche customization. I believe we were adding a financial calculator application to a portal site that used LazyData. They used Microsoft technologies to do this, mostly .NET.

Please describe the scope of their involvement in more detail.

We've basically retained the development team for more than a year now. We had them augment our team on multiple different projects, and we used two of their developers. At the moment, we don't utilize a project manager, we interact directly with their folks. We may be adding another layer if we add additional team members in the future, possibly a project manager and a QA [quality assurance] specialist. Right now, it's working fine as it is. We currently handle QA internally with the deliverables they give us.

How did you come to work with UruIT?

I was using one of the freelance sites, seeing what skill sets were around and what the market rates were. We tried to focus on Central America because of the time zone similarity and the cost savings. I started doing research on the different areas, and I noticed that Uruguay seemed to have a lot of potential. I looked at the track records for some development teams there, and I found that UruIT was one of the most reputable companies there. They seemed to have some of the best background information and client experience.

Our relationship is ongoing.

I don't really have specific figures. I can tell, quality-wise, based on the demand for their services from the other managers and consultants on my team. They're part of several developers we have on staff, and they're requested just as much or more than some of our onsite developers. That's my gauge of how well it's working.

How did UruIT perform from a project management standpoint?

They're pretty consistent. It is technology, so it's not perfect every time. However, they're well within the bell curve. I've not had to swap developers due to inadequate expertise or anything like that. We use a technology called Assembla, which is just a simple ticketing system. We also use Slack for our communication between the teams, which I recommended. It definitely sets things up well and makes it easy for us to track their progress and provide feedback.

What distinguishes UruIT from other providers?

I believe UruIT's retention rate is unusually good. I'm still using the same folks we worked with at the start. When you're contracting out like this, it's obviously very key for success is not having to deal with the turnover I've seen before, which can have serious detrimental effects on project success.

Is there anything UruIT could have improved or done differently?

Not at the moment. I think as we expand and add more team members from their side, we'll probably find something they can improve. Right now, they're matching up with what we expected from them.

It's very good.
    I'm comparing them against the average developer we would use, whether it's onshore or offshore. I think they're a little better than the average developer. They're not incredible, but I think they're definitely above average.
    I'm very likely to recommend them. The only reason I wouldn't want to is because it's a competitive market, and I feel like I have an advantage.