Building businesses is hard

GOLD VERIFIED

If you are seriously looking for a long-term technology partner as an asset to your business journey, consider us.

By understanding your business needs first, we can then deliver tech.that serves.

Becoming a long-term Client of u2i means we have to live with the consequences of our technology choices, it's our form of 'skin in the game'.

As your team, the best results come from when we work with you in an organic, collaborative, and symbiotic relationship.

Engaged by great ideas and bigger challenges, our portfolio has all sizes of companies from start-ups to Internationals. We deliver with budgets from $15,000 into the millions.

So, if you have the best idea, challenge or project, we’d love to hear from you.

Don’t take our word for it, see what our Clients think...

2000

User Experience

Citymart Kinvolved LittleBird HR Onward Advisors Consumer Reports reciProfity

Onward Advisors Image

Onward Advisors

Onward Advisors is a consulting company that specializes in one thing: helping small and mid-sized companies compare and choose the best Professional Employer Organization (PEO) for their business. With decades of experience working at many of the largest PEOs, they leverage their knowledge and connections to help businesses save time and minimize risk when partnering with a professional employer organization.

One of

the most satisfying aspects of software engineering is making your clients' life easier. Onward Advisors is a great example of that. By replacing a bunch of complex semi-manual tasks with an automated custom software solution we managed to reduce the time needed to complete some of the business critical processes by an order of 10. That means OA can deliver their analysis to their customers faster and still have time to think about how to grow their business.
Citymart Image

Citymart

Citymart is a worldwide platform that has the mission to improve public procurement in cities all around the world. From chronic disease in London to stormwater management in Miami. From digital equity in New Orleans to independent living in Sheffield. Their aim is to improve public services and the way cities do business with more diverse and innovative suppliers and partners.

We helped Citymart take their

small scale concierge-like solution and turn it into a SaaS platform that caters to 100+ cities like Athens, Los Angeles or Vancouver. Launched in May 2017 with node.js and express on the backend and React and Redux on the frontend Citymart is looking at Series A with u2i as one of their seed investors.
Little Bird Image

Little Bird

Little Bird is the first fully integrated HR platform built for the public charter school movement. Created by a team of highly knowledgeable charter school experts it allows administrators to handle compliance, benefits and employee relations from pre-hire to retire.   Little Bird experienced one of the most natural paths to success you could see in a startup business. They validated their business model by building an

ecosystem of spreadsheets and third-party tools backed by a significant amount of manual labour of their experts.  And then they onboarded clients until that setup couldn't handle anymore. That's where we came in. We helped Little Bird (and continue to do so) build a custom system that digitizes their processes and unifies their toolset so that scaling their business is no longer a challenge but an opportunity.
Kinvolved Image

Kinvolved

Kinvolved is an NYC based startup with a mission to improve school attendance in US schools. By improving parent-teacher communication they help combat chronic absenteeism which drastically reduces a kid's chance of earning a diploma. Their holistic approach combines technology tools and human interventions to change the deeply ingrained behaviors and external factors affecting student attendance.  We helped Kinvolved grow

their system from one that served a few NY based schools to a robust solution that has been adopted by 200 schools in 10 school districts. With thousands of messages sent daily, many of them translated on the fly to reach non-English speaking parents, together with Kinvolved we were faced with and managed to overcome multiple challenges in real-time mass communication, building high availability systems and system integrations. The lasting partnership and our belief in Kinvolved led us to become one of their seed investors in 2017.

Ruby on Rails Dev for PEO Advisors

“Building the technology has been that much more enjoyable because I like the people I’m working with.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

u2i has employed Ruby on Rails in development of a digital platform that will streamline an analyzation process for PEO advisors. Plans for leveraging their design services are now in the works.

Greater New York Area
Partner, Human Resources Firm

u2i’s contributions have become pivotal to increasing overall efficiency. Communicative project management, a willingness to accommodate requests, and technological adeptness have helped establish the confidence to further increase their involvement.

We guide our clients through a streamlined process, including a full-scale financial analysis, for evaluating and choosing the best PEO option

What challenge were you trying to address with u2i?

The analysis we do on behalf of our prospects is very tedious and time-consuming, so we started working with u2i to build a technology that will make this process easier and more efficient.

We gave them a general outline of what we were looking for in hope that they could provide insight to ensure the new output was as clean as the original.  The idea was to replicate our current process, that uses multiple Windows-based products, through a streamlined digital platform.

I believe they’ve used Ruby on Rails, but I’m not sure. There are more parts to our process that we plan on using them for because we think they’ll have a positive impact in terms of making our workflow more efficient. It’s become apparent that they have what it takes to leverage technology in a way that will have the same positive effect on the rest of our business.

We have one coder who we interact with on a regular basis that is lead on the project.  We’ve also engaged with other team members who offer different areas of expertise (e.g. design), as well as two or three others who have helped out when needed.

How did you come to work with u2i?

They came referred to us through a business relationship.

We’ve spent roughly $30,000.

What is the status of the engagement?

They mostly provide development services right now, but I anticipate involving them in the design once we’re finished. We want to get everything built to our liking and look at the actual design work first. I have no doubt that they have the capability to deliver.

I couldn’t be happier. What they’ve been able to achieve in the time we’ve worked together has blown me away. It’s a game changer.

How did u2i perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is fantastic. They utilize some tools that were originally unfamiliar to me, but we’ve since started using them and they’ve worked very well. We use Slack and Kanban for most of our communication. We also have video chats once or twice a week.

They’re great to work with and very responsive. They’re fun and personable, as well as very good at what they do. Building the technology has been that much more enjoyable because I like the people I’m working with. They’re in Poland, but the time difference hasn’t been a problem. The communication (both verbal and written) is superb. Their quality of work is top-notch and they’re happy to accommodate changes and are eager to please.  It’s been a wonderful experience overall.

The engagement has been everything I’d hoped it would be and more.

You should just give them a chance. There are a lot of choices out there, but in terms of overall spend and quality of work, you can’t do better than u2i. You could probably get someone to do it for less, but you’re going to be giving up a lot. Similarly, you could do it with someone a bit closer proximity-wise, but you’ll end up spending a lot more. You just can’t get better value for the price. Also, if you think it’s going to take three months, you should probably plan on six. That’s probably a smart way to approach just about anything that you’re doing in life, but especially with technology.

There have been revisions and things of that nature, but that’s more on me than them. I couldn’t be happier and they haven’t missed any deadlines.

App Dev, Data Security & Platform Management

"[I]t has really evolved into a more organic, collaborative, and symbiotic relationship."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

u2i developed and currently maintains a software solution, handling both the frontend and backend of a mobile and web app, while providing direct access to engineers and an overall scalable team.

Alex Meis
Co-Founder, Kinvolved

The app’s success is in part due to u2i’s involvement; it has grown significantly over two years. The team’s flexibility and willingness to do an initial project for free in order to build trust really minted the relationship. However, scheduling can be an issue due to the time zone difference.

I am the co-founder and chief product officer of Kinvolved. We’re a startup focused on elevating K-12 student attendance by way of family engagement. I work with developers every day in technical management and roadmap development. I also work with our internal team on rolling out the software to our clients, while managing our customer success team and customer questions as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with u2i?

Hiring an internal engineering team is really expensive, along with the vetting of the engineers and the technical challenges. I’ve also advised teams that aren’t technical themselves but are building tech products that outsourcing is a suitable option to build out your early years of software.

u2i maintains our full software, handling both the frontend and backend of our mobile and a web app. We’re very analytics heavy and report oriented, and work in a highly regulated industry in education technology of K-12 students. There’s been an eye towards maintaining security and data privacy with analytics and communication oriented companies. u2i has done a lot of work in the routing of communications and attendance data.

I work directly with the engineers and the team from u2i. We have about four engineers, and the team is able to scale up and down depending on our needs, all within reasonable notice to Tom, their CEO, and his COO. We had a frontend specialist work with us for a few weeks just to get more UI/UX [user interface/user experience] features out the door. At the same time, if we needed more DevOps support, it was easy to get a specialist on board.

How did you come to work with u2i?

Our relationship has changed over time. They started working with us through a referral. One of my advisor’s mentors suggested that I reach out to them for technical support because he saw that we were spending all of our revenue towards hiring engineers. As an early stage startup, it’s hard to build a business, especially in technology. So to save capital and to test the minimum viable product, he suggested I talk to Tom to see how they could help us.

Now, it has really evolved into a more organic, collaborative, and symbiotic relationship. I have no idea how we do it given that they’re in Poland and I’m in New York City. I looked into contractors locally and at hiring engineers. While u2i is not the cheapest outsourcing firm that I’ve come across, it’s certainly more affordable than having local in-house developers.

We started working together in December 2015 and the work is ongoing.

They’ve been a really effective and collaborative outsourcing agency and are critical to our success. They’ve helped us scale our software significantly in the past two years. I’ve worked with other outsourced agencies before, and from those experiences, I was definitely really jaded in my opinion about outsourcing developers.

I’ve only worked with one other good development firm in my career. u2i definitely stands out over the other development firms and they’re really fair and flexible regarding billing. I’ve worked with firms in the past that are literally to the hour and to the dollar, and take advantage of the clients in terms of estimates for future work. u2i is the opposite and it doesn’t even feel like they’re an outsourced team. They feel like they’re my engineers, the only difference being the distance.

How did u2i perform from a project management standpoint?

It was a bit of challenge with our former scrum master; she wasn’t the most organized person, but in terms of technical product management, she’s really a detail-oriented person that understands development. I addressed our struggle with Tom, and now we have a new project scrum master that has been a lot better.

For anyone looking for a development firm, it’s important to really understand who is going to be the on-site project manager for your software and have references for them. It’s essential to have someone that is very detail oriented and organized. We’ve worked together to make sure we’re on time for deadlines, so that’s never been a problem, and they’re also very communicative if there is a challenge.

Sometimes, scheduling is a complication due to time zone differences and different holidays between the two companies. I’ve had to learn how to be flexible and plan our future priorities more strategically.

Overall, I’m really satisfied with them. I take the referral process really seriously, and I’ve recommended them to colleagues and friends. I know how hard it is to find a good outsourced firm.

Early in 2012, we worked with another outsourcing firm that was pretty horrific, so I was very hesitant to work with another one. Tom, however, had an engineer come over to the U.S. with him to really understand our business needs. I spent a few days with them talking about our concerns, our problems areas, where we see the business going, and its technical needs.

Then, Tom had their team work on a technically complicated project free of charge. We started to build trust during that initial project, and from there, I had two engineers that I would pay on a monthly contract that we could cancel at any time. Tom and his team were really flexible about that, which made me comfortable that if this relationship didn’t work out, it was not the end of the world and there were no contractual obligations.

The general nature of the time zone difference is challenging and holiday scheduling is really hard as well.

I have recommended them to friends and colleagues.

Cloud Migration for Food Software Platform

"[T]hey’re an Agile programming shop. They get it, know what it means, and deploy it very nicely."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Upon the failure of another vendor, u2i migrated an outmoded dekstop-based application to the cloud using Agile programming methods. Post-launch, they continue to code and implement updates and bug fixes.

Greater New York City Area
CEO, At-Your-Service Software

u2i’s battle-tested Agile processes engender trust and stability. Following those procedures to the letter can delay progress at times, but their programming skill and commitment to collaboration usually end up carrying the day, and to date, have helped the new software win positive reviews.

At-Your-Service Software markets, sells, and designs software for the foodservice industry, including restaurants, caterers, corporate feeders, and food stores. Anybody involved in recipes and food costing are potential users of our software.

It’s an inventory food-costing system that doesn’t include a full suite of what a restaurant might use (i.e. no accounting or point-of-sale), so it’s a niche piece of software.

What challenge were you trying to address with u2i?

We were migrating from a desktop app to the cloud and needed a brand-new company to work with. Our previous software was Windows-based—and 25 years old.

u2i went through our existing desktop app and decided which frameworks to use to help us reach our goal. They understood the types of devices we wanted to be on and started coding the application based on the specifications we gave them.

We did engage a UI consultant to help us with the interface, so it hasn’t been all u2i.

There are roughly three programmers, a Scrum master who is part-time, and sometimes Tom [President, u2i] gets involved. He was part of the early meetings and has been called in a couple of times to help with questions when things get tricky.

How did you come to work with u2i?

We used another provider before u2i, and the project failed miserably.

We talked to a couple of companies after that, including u2i. We liked everything we saw from u2i. The other companies weren’t anywhere near where they were in terms of skills and qualifications. We’re a small company and didn’t need much time to make the decision.

We’ve spent between $100,000 and $200,000.

We started working them in August 2016, and the relationship is ongoing.

We’ve released the product, and with Agile development, we can continue to release updates. Our goal was to come out with something we could sell as early as possible so we could get some money and feedback.

Since it’s just been released, we don’t have any metrics. We’ve gone through beta testing and have some users through that. The feedback has been positive.

How did u2i perform from a project management standpoint?

Their processes are well-honed and well-defined. We have daily meetings with them on the phone. There’s a Scrum master who makes sure everyone is on the same page and jumps in when he has to. The level of management, the skill level of their team, and the fact that they all buy into it really helps. We’ve learned to trust the team and engage in that process as well.

When they introduced a new person, he integrated smoothly into the process and ran by the same rules. They get it, know what it means, and deploy it very nicely.

They are very thorough in their communication. The toolkits they use to manage the product are sophisticated, and they deploy them very well. There’s no language barrier, which we had with the previous vendor. The president is a down-to-earth guy, which was not the case with the previous company.

They don’t get defensive if there’s a problem. They admit it or tell you what happened, and we talk about it. It’s a mature discussion. They are clearly trained in the process—not just programming languages. There’s feedback and they find solutions to problems. That makes it easier because everyone works as a team and by the rules. We’ve adapted to their rules because we were used to desktop software, and this is different.

There were a few things we’ve had differences about. Sometimes, the process is too procedural. It can slow things down when we’ve just had to get something done. There’s been times I’ve had to insist that they be a little bit to be more flexible.

Once in a while, they make minor mistakes, and we have to look at the process. Overall, however, there have been no problems with the company.

GOLD VERIFIED