Company Naming and Rebranding Agency

Gold

Since 1999, Tungsten Branding has provided company naming and branding services for Tech start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in between.  Tungsten is known for brand name creation that aligns the company/product/service name and messaging with its core capabilities and values.  Tungsten specializes in rebranding growing businesses that have outgrown their original identity.

Tungsten Branding has created over 500 regional, national, and international brand names for companies, products and services.  Tungsten President & Founder Phil Davis, is a member of the Forbes Agency Council and serves as a frequent keynote speaker on the topic of "Brilliant Brand Marketing."  Phil is a contributing author for Forbes & Entrepreneur and has written for, or been quoted in, Forbes, Entrepreneur, The Wall Street Journal, Inc.com, AdAge, The Washington Post, and Business Week magazine.

For company naming & branding enthusiasts, Tungsten produces "Brilliant Branding," a branding podcast featured on iTunes, SoundCloud, GooglePlay, & VoiceAmerica.

$300+ / hr

1999
Brevard, NC
  • 43 Broad Street, Unit 103
    Brevard, NC 28712

Tungsten possesses a diverse portfolio of branded clients from a range of industries. These include... •PODS •AO SMITH •FERGUSON •OMNISCI •JAPAN TOBACCO INTERNATIONAL •QUAKER HOUGHTON •MCKIBBON HOSPITALITY GROUP •FRANCHISE SERVICES, INC •STARMARK ACADEMY •THRIVENT •MICROSTRATEGY •LUMENIS •KIVA •ARCH INSURANCE GROUP •ADDITION FINANCIAL •DALE JARRET RACING •Q MEDICAL •CORENTEC •RED ROVER MOVING & STORAGE •HARMONY OUTDOOR BRANDS •DOUBLE CROSS VODKA •LIAZON •TRICKLE STAR •CERORA

Branding & Naming for Technology Firm

“They try to fit our brand perspective and can spin ideas we wouldn’t have thought of.”

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Tungsten Branding has collaborated on multiple naming projects for a technology firm, presenting options for the company name, applications, and other campaigns.

Washington, DC
Eric Middleton
CEO, 1Rivet

They return quickly with evocative possibilities that positively affect advertising budgets. They establish solid rapport in meetings and are dedicated to company vision and values.

We’re a technology firm based in Washington D.C. I am Managing Partner/CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

Our company had a name that wasn’t meaningful enough to people outside our business. We wanted something interesting and instantly recognizable in the marketplace that would attract potential customers.

The first project was renaming our company but we’ve worked on four or five projects together. Phil (President, Tungsten Branding) wants to know what we’re trying to embody with the names we use. They help us find names that are memorable by going through the adjectives that define us and each project and come back within about 10–14 days with a list of possibilities. They present mockup websites, logos, imagery, and taglines for each option, with their reasoning behind each name.

When we were renaming our company, they came back with about ten names that we boiled down to three before asking them for additional options. They came back with about five more. 1Rivet was in that second list of names and I knew immediately that it embodied everything we wanted. We had multiple meetings with Phil to discuss messaging and our taglines. We finally landed on the wording that we use today.

We’ve been back to him quite a few times. We’re in the middle of building an application now to disrupt a fairly large industry and just finished the naming process for that. They asked specific questions, went away to do the stake process, and within about a week they had six or eight names for us to choose from.

We worked with three or four people on their team. We mostly work with Phil.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

We first started working with another company that wasn’t giving us what we needed. We were a smaller company at the time and worried about spending more money on a different company, but my partner found Phil through internet research. I had a great conversation with him. He’s easygoing, honest, and energetic and he has great ideas for branding and imagery.

We’ve spent between $40,000 and $50,000.

We started working together a few years ago, and the latest project took place in September or October 2017. They had the first project done in about two weeks. We’ve since used them for other naming projects.

I’m really happy with our company name. We bought another name they came up with as well, in case we ever split the company into new divisions.

We haven’t launched the app yet, so I can’t go into specifics about it. We do want it to hit the market quickly, and the name embodies everything we want. It will be easily recognizable and will save us money in future advertising.

How did Tungsten Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

It was a great process, and Tungsten was the right answer for us. We’ve met a lot and we have a good rhythm. I can call Phil and he’ll turn around with names quickly.

They’re very thoughtful about the process and super creative. They try to fit our brand perspective and can spin ideas we wouldn’t have thought of. They even suggest names that would allow us to expand into other industries. They provide a good dialog and are easy to work with. They’re able to take on our vision and values. Their skills are unparalleled.

I get a lot of value from them and am a repeat customer. I recommend them all the time to clients.

Overall Score I don’t think we’d ever work with a different company.
    We don’t have hard deadlines with them, but they always get back to us within a couple of weeks with presentations and suggestions for names.
    The names that we have are worth what we paid. The process is efficient, and we’ve gotten into a great rhythm with them.
    They brought our name to life on our website and logo and in our taglines. We love the process and every piece they deliver is amazing.
    I’ve referred them several times.

Branding for Leadership Development Startup

“The name they suggested defines our brand superbly.”

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

They defined the overall identity of a startup that offers strategic planning and life coaching services. The team continues to assist with marketing efforts, including web development and logo creation.

Balsam Grove, North Carolina
Angela Owen
Co-Founder, Truventure Enterprises

The brand name resonated with internal stakeholders and helped with initial marketing efforts. Tungsten Branding’s CEO is personally involved in the project, and the rest of the team is warm and friendly. Combined with superior project management, this has led to successful collaboration.

I’m the co-founder of Truventure Enterprises and president of its parent company, TBL Leadership Partners. We conduct multiday strategic summits with individuals, businesses, ministries, nonprofits, and civic organizations, helping them develop a 1-page strategy map. Our company also provides executive coaching and counseling to help people make their vision a reality. I’ve co-authored Truventure: Strategy for Wildly Successful Living, which focuses on strategies for a successful life, ministry, and business.

For what projects/services did your company hire Tungsten Branding?

When we began the endeavor, we had a concept of what we wanted to do but no identity behind it. We hired them to help us develop a brand name for our startup.

Our company required a brand that would succinctly represent current work and future developments for multiple programs—books, conferences, and consulting. We wanted to acquire a registered trademark for the brand, which would be used in the title of our book.

I have personally known Phil Davis, owner of Tungsten Branding, for several years. We worked together on a local task force for our community. Phil is a genuinely remarkable person with a gift for unearthing the gold in individuals and companies and then following that up with branding solutions that are worthy of the treasure. I reached out to him immediately for help on our project.

We began discussing the concept for our inaugural conference in Brevard, North Carolina. After multiple discovery sessions to understand the essence of what we were trying to do at the conference, we established early concepts for the brand. Further discussions and discovery sessions unveiled additional details such as the book, strategic summit sessions, and ongoing consulting. After investing time and exploring a plethora of questions with us, Phil suggested Truventure as a revised concept for the brand. We then developed a website, a Facebook page, a logo, and other components for the brand.

I work directly with Phil. Additional team members help with various components, including the website.

The name they came up with immediately resonated with us and exceeded our expectations. We’ve successfully launched our initial conference and a website for the new brand. Since our inaugural conference, we’ve conducted multiple strategic summit sessions across the country. Advanced reader copies of our first book have been printed and are being reviewed worldwide, with the final book publication scheduled for February 2018. We've had community groups that mastermind their Truventures alongside one another, and they’ve successfully completed the first phase of the Truventure process.

The workflow has been superb. We met weekly for the initial development and continue to meet as additional work warrants.

Given the plethora of information about an idea, a business, and its people, Tungsten knows how to discover the essence upon which to build a brand. Their work has always been stellar. Plus, they do not treat clients like a project; we are treated as friends. They are both genuine and extremely professional in all that they do. We could not have found a better branding firm anywhere in the world.

I suggest following up every meeting with written communication to document the decisions made and ensure mutual understanding.

Overall Score They are the best in the business.
    They are super flexible and easy to engage.
    The value far outweighs the cost.
    We could not be more pleased, as the name they suggested defines our brand superbly.
    I've already referred Tungsten Branding to multiple people and will continue to do so. They are the best in the business!

Branding & Web Dev for Sales Consulting Startup

"I’m completely satisfied. They delivered exactly as promised, if not better."

May - June 2017

At the outset of starting a new business, Tungsten Branding aided in creating a complete branding and marketing strategy. They also developed a website to help bring the new products to market.

Startup

Baltimore, Maryland
Jeff Burnett
Consultant, Triple20

The speed with which Tungsten Branding is able to take a concept and produce quality deliverables is a definite highlight of working with them. Their ability to effectively manage projects without constant instruction continues to impress.

I am a consultant for a sales consulting company. I work with a bunch of startups.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

The majority of the startups I work with don’t know how to get their products sold. I needed help in developing a branding and sales strategy that would help bring their products to market.

I went to Tungsten in the early stages of setting up a company and told them what I was trying to achieve. When you decide to go into business, it makes sense to pay top prices for expertise on the things you really need, such as setting up a brand name and a website. Tungsten Branding created the firm name, a matching logo, and handled the website development. They went from concept to deliverable in about five weeks.

I worked primarily with Phil and Liz, the two presidents.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

I started looking around for branding agencies and came across Tungsten's website, which is very creative and is a good display of what they do. I was impressed with what Tungsten Branding did with their own business. That’s why I hired them. It wasn’t a price decision, but a quality decision.

The financial investment was around $17,000.

We started working with them May 2017 and the project was completed by the end of June 2017.

I’m completely satisfied. They delivered exactly as promised, if not better. They continually came back to us with multiple options and allowed us to conduct multiple rounds until we decided on the final mockup we wanted. The process was very fast.

How did Tungsten Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. When working with a team like Tungsten, it's important to avoid micromanaging them or else you will get lesser quality results. If you're able to go into the project with faith and confidence in the people you've hired, the relationship will work well. I put my confidence in them and they were great.

What distinguishes Tungsten Branding from other providers?

I like to work with entrepreneurs. Phil started his own business and he runs the show. He knows what he’s doing. You give him a little direction and he’ll come back quickly with a good result. That’s what you want.

Is there anything Tungsten Branding could have improved or done differently?

No, they stick right to what they’re good at. There’s no question I’d hire them for a future project.

Overall Score They were as concise and prompt as I was. You just pay for it and it gets done.
    They came back and told me when they’d be ready and it was usually faster than I would have thought. If there's a delay in the process, I expect it’ll be on the side of the customer and not them.
    I didn’t shop around much. You may be able to get a lower price, but if you get a lower price, you’re getting a lower quality. I didn’t think twice about the price.
    Their deliverables are prompt and complete. If there’s something you’re not quite sure about, they’ll give you a couple of different options. They’re incredibly responsive.
    I already have.

Branding for Social Enterprise Food Manufacturer

“They inspire powerful thinking about the value of a brand and how the audience will receive it.”

Dec. 2016 - Apr. 2017

The team helped create a new brand identity that differentiated a subsidiary from its parent organization. Tungsten Branding was also responsible for a refresh of the main enterprise logo.

Brevard, North Carolina
Ann Buchman
VP of Marketing, Cermount

The brainstorming stage led to powerful insights about the new brands, thanks to the creativity and enthusiasm of Tungsten’s principal. The process itself was very inclusive and involved key stakeholders. As a result, the brand received positive feedback within the organization.

I am the vice president of marketing and growth for a social enterprise food manufacturer. As an AbilityOne certified 501(c)(3) organization, we serve the government and commercial sectors. More than 75% of our workforce is comprised of people with disabilities or other barriers to employment. We provide evaluation, training, employment, and day care services for people with disabilities. We are celebrating our 50th anniversary this year. Our business model has 2 aspects—people services and manufacturing services. These have very different audiences.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

One of my strategic objectives was to clarify and simplify our branding and communications. Our original branding and website provided confusing messages to our targets. We were trying to be all things to all people, and it was failing.

We asked Tungsten Branding to create a separate brand for our manufacturing services division. It had to include a subtle reference to the parent organization. The scope also included a refresh of the main enterprise logo so that it connected with the newly designed manufacturing identity. The project involved 2 key members of the Tungsten team, as well as 1–2 outside graphic designers they had contracted.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

I had collaborated with Tungsten Branding before on a small project, so I reached out to them first. I also reviewed several other firms based on their websites. Among them was another branding firm that I had personally worked with. However, I ruled them out because their fees were significantly higher, which was due to a rigorous process they insisted on for branding.

How much have you invested with Tungsten Branding?

We spent a total of $25,000 on Tungsten Branding’s services, including logo development.

The project took place over the course of 4 months. We’ve just presented the new branding at a meeting that included our entire company.

The internal feedback was outstanding. Tungsten balanced inclusion with executive decision making, which helped keep the project on track. We also kept our board members closely engaged. By keeping key team members informed as we progressed, the adoption was smoother. We are still in the process of announcing the brand externally, so we have no feedback on that yet.

How did Tungsten Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent at project management. Tungsten met deadlines. They were also clear and proactive with communication.

I enjoyed the luxury of having them located in our town. Our face-to-face meetings were incredibly vibrant and creative.

What did you find most impressive about Tungsten Branding?

Phil Davis is brilliant when it comes to purposeful branding. He is a highly creative individual with intense energy and enthusiasm. It is easy to brainstorm with him and see how 1 + 1 equals more than 2. He and Liz [Director of Client Services, Tungsten Branding] are a balanced team. She can guide the visionary brainstorms into concrete examples. Meanwhile, Phil is focused on the goal and outlines multiple paths to get there. They inspire powerful thinking about the value of a brand and how the audience will receive it. They are also incredibly approachable and not caught up with status or hierarchy. They want to get the job done and deliver a memorable product, and they do.

Are there any areas Tungsten Branding could improve?

We only had one miss on this project: the enterprise logo development. The first designer was not able to create something that had a connection to our mission and history. Fortunately, the second designer got it right. I believe they chose the first one due to the need for speed. They will probably not do that again.

Overall Score It is an absolute pleasure to work with them because of their bright ideas, strategic process, and approachability.
    Tungsten did not miss any deadlines. The communication was smooth.
    There were no diversions from the scope or cost.
    This would have been a perfect score had we not spent a lot of time fine-tuning the enterprise logo. However, the quality of the end product was tremendous.
    I trust that they can deliver a top-quality product. They are wonderful to collaborate with.

Naming & Branding for Technology Startup

"They provided a very personal service, and that led to a very high-quality output for us."

Sept. - Nov. 2016

Starting with creating a suitable name for the client's business, Tungsten Branding provided a full suite of branding services, including the development of a new logo, graphics, and a style guide.

1–10 Employees

New Zealand
CEO, InUgo

Working with Tungsten Branding is a worthwhile and personal experience. They take the time to fully understand their clients before diving into the process of naming and branding.

InUgo is a startup in the technology space. We have a mobile application, and we’re providing a revolutionary new way to find, enter, and pay for parking. My role is as CEO of the company, which in a startup means pretty much everything.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

We were trying to find a name that really reflected what we were trying to do. We had a working name originally, which was not very good and didn’t match with what we wanted to do. We wanted our brand image to be a particular way.

We first worked with Tungsten Branding as a naming service. They came up with a number of possible names. In the end, we were really impressed with the way they worked through that process. I think InUgo is a fantastic name that reflects exactly what we do. It jumps into people’s minds when we explain how to find parking. You press a button on your smartphone, the barrier goes up, and in you go. I think the name is going to make a positive impact on the business.

They also helped us with branding services, positioning, fonts, graphics, and all those kinds of things you’d expect. They delivered a style guide, promotional examples, and an animated logo.

We’re far away from each other geographically, so all our interaction was through video conferences on Skype, phone, and email. We never met in person, yet they were still able to get a really good idea about who we were, what our business is, and what we’re trying to achieve. They did a very good job of understanding us and what we were trying to do. We’re very impressed with the way they did that.

We started working with them in September of 2016, and they finished the assignment in mid-November. The engagement has ended for the time being, but we will have additional work for them in the future.

There are no hard metrics around the work they completed for us. The product naming and the logo have really struck a chord with people. When we meet with potential customers, talk in sales processes, or discuss the project, a real light goes on when people say, ‘Oh, in you go. I get it.’ It is memorable and seems to stick in people’s heads.

The logo they created is the same. It’s an ‘in’ with an arrow going in, around the InUgo name. It really helps people understand exactly who we are. It’s rare that a logo and a name really communicates what a company does. There are so many crazy names in the tech space, and it’s unusual to have a name that really pins what the company does. I think that’s pretty exciting. We’re certainly very happy with it, and our customers do respond to it positively.

How did Tungsten Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a very personal touch. Phillip Davis, the president of Tungsten Branding, worked with us directly. It was a very well-managed process. I think the key is that they took that personal approach to managing the project and talking with us. Even though we never met in person, the communication was thorough and they delivered on time, which is everything you want from project management.

What did you find most impressive about Tungsten Branding?

They really took a very personal interest in our company and our product. They spent time understanding us before they started coming up with names. That process was quite interesting. We’re very happy with the name and the branding work. They took a much more personal approach to understanding the company, the people, and the product before they started work. That led to a much higher-quality outcome.

Are there any areas Tungsten Branding could improve?

I didn’t experience anything that I’d say could be done better. Our experience was a very good one.

Overall Score We had an excellent experience. We had a personal connection with the president. They provided a very personal service, and that led to a very high-quality output for us. We’re very happy.
    They met the timelines they gave us. They were ahead of the timeline on some items. They delivered exactly when they said they would, and they delivered high-quality work.
    We got very good quality output for a price we were willing to pay. I’d call that good value for money.
    We’re very happy with what they delivered. They did it quickly and very well. They really set the brand for our company on its way, which is very important for a young company like us.
    I would absolutely recommend them every time.

Naming & Branding for IT Consulting Firm

"It was a very unique and fun experience. I couldn't be happier with the end results."

Nov. 2015 - Jan. 2016

After undergoing an in-depth process to understand the client's business, Tungsten Branding worked to create a name, tagline, and website that captures the essence of their brand.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Steve Devitt
Founder, Altacent

Not only is the team at Tungsten Branding smart and skilled, but they're also fun to work with. The brand they developed for the client has already pushed them beyond their goals for 2017.

Altacent is a business technology transformation organization headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We work with middle clientele of the Fortune 500. I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

I have been in the industry for 20 years and decided to start a company. Things took off a little fast, so we white-labeled the company originally because we had to get a federal tax ID number and ensure its success. We called it Devco, but we couldn't go to market with that name. It was important for me to have a name that I thought resonated with the market and myself. Tungsten Branding worked with us to develop the branding rationale, the tagline, and the website from soup to nuts. I knew it was going to take some time.

The first thing that Phil [Davis, president of Tungsten Branding] and the team from Tungsten Branding helped me with was the naming. After a lengthy interview – which was very interesting because he asked a bunch of questions to really try to get the essence of what I was looking to do and who we wanted to be in the marketplace – he came up with a series of company names. He explained the process in detail. After three rounds of going back and forth, we landed on the name, Altacent.

In conjunction with the naming process, Tungsten Branding also did a branding rationale to capture the essence of who Altacent was. They also worked on our tagline. Phil provided a bunch of taglines that he thought may resonate with me and my audience. After we had done that, he helped us with our website and framed our content to the particular market that we're in. That exercise took two to three months.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

I had interviewed several other organizations. However, when I had a conversation with Phil, he and I just clicked. I felt like he understood what I was looking to do and felt like a true champion of my cause, which was to get this right.

How much have you invested with Tungsten Branding?

He asked what my budget was, I shared that with him, and we got through everything for $20,000, which I thought was a great value.

We worked from November 2015 to March 2016. I still reach out to him from time to time to ask him certain things, which he's very available and open to helping me out with.

From a financial perspective, we had to create projections this past summer for our banking relationship. We've already exceeded our 2017 goals and a certain part of it is due to the website and branding rationale. The website looks very professional and people love it. It resonates with our clients, consultants, and the market that we're serving. The feedback has been very positive.

How did Tungsten Branding perform from a project management standpoint?

It was a pleasurable and awesome experience working with Phil. He was always very available and accessible. He was very clear in laying out next steps and what to expect in each phase of the process. The cool thing about Phil is after we had our lengthy conversation in the beginning, I got the sense that he got me as the founder and the champion of this organization. When we were coming up with the name, tagline, branding rationale, and content and mockups of the website, he didn't hesitate to offer his unfiltered insight.

What did you most impressive about Tungsten Branding?

Phil is an exceptionally talented, smart person in his space who gets it. I've been in the private and public consultancy sector for 20 years serving Fortune 50 to Fortune 1000 companies, so I've been around many talented people in my time. He's incredibly fun to work with. He's got a great sense of humor – he makes certain things funny. I'm glad that we were able to work with him.

Are there any areas Tungsten Branding could improve?

I honestly can't think of anything. The whole thing was a very positive and pleasant experience. They were very accommodating.

Overall Score It was a very unique and fun experience. I couldn't be happier with the end results.
    They were great. If anything, they were pushing my wife and me to get certain information back to them.
    I'm pleased with how much it cost and what we got in return. They were right in line with what I was expecting for the quality that they were providing.
    The audience that we have in the Twin Cities is loving our name and website. What Phil came up with is resonating in the market.
    I have no less than 50 times shared Tungsten Branding with others when they've asked who did your website or how did he come up with your name.

Naming and Logo Design for Energy Efficiency Company

"He's been doing this for a number of years so he knows what to do and what not to do."

Tungsten Branding delivered a new brand name and logo. The challenge was finding a name that was memorable and rang true but was also available as a .com domain and a trademark.

Wilmington, DE
CEO, TrickleStar

We produce a range of energy-saving products for the air conditioning market.

What is your role at the company?

I am the CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

We realize how difficult it is to name a business. A .com domain that can be trademarked, but is also fun, catchy, and memorable is very difficult to find.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

We have used Tungsten before, and they did a super job for us with another brand we have called TrickleStar.

It was less than $10,000.

It was a four-week project from start to finish and was completed in October [2015].

We have not yet launched the business, so we have no meaningful metrics to share. But we have designed the logo, and the response to the name and logo has been very positive from the project stakeholders.

What distinguishes Tungsten Branding from other providers?

Phil [Davis, president of Tungsten Branding] just gets it. He knows all of the issues. He's been doing this for a number of years, so he knows what is needed and what not to do. He immediately grasps what you need and comes up with options and then a solution quite quickly. The names that Phil comes up with are fun, catchy, and have enough flexibility to allow a business to grow in different directions.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve or things you might do differently?

Honestly, nothing I could ask to be done differently. They did what they were asked to do. It was done quickly, efficiently and cost-effectively. Having been through this process before, we don't even waste any time on naming. We just give it to Phil and ask him to handle it for us, and we are super pleased with everything he has done for us so far.

Overall Score Excellent.
    Definitely. We would recommend them.

Naming and Branding Services for Dental Insurance Company

"Tungsten was able to provide us a timeless name that allows us greater flexibility for any possible changes."

Tungsten Branding provided naming, logo design, and branding services for a new IT platform within an existing brand. The key goal was to have a brand that could adapt as the platform grew and changed.

Roanoke, VA
Carmen Hambrick
Senior Consultant, Corvesta

The Tungsten principal could offer tailored naming packages because he understood the business goals behind the branding campaign. He used humor and affability to get consensus from divided stakeholders. His successful work earned him additional contracts.

We are a holding company with four subsidiaries that all work within the dental insurance space.

What is your role at the company?

I am a senior strategy consultant responsible for strategic planning and business development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding

A name needed to be created for a new IT [information technology] platform that we were beginning to build. The platform includes the claims processing system, customer interface, business analytics, and customer service modules.

The scope of the project was to create a name, logo and tagline for the IT platform and bring about consensus for what we wanted an IT platform of the future to look like.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

We looked at three separate companies before choosing Tungsten. Phil's [Tungsten Branding founder and president Phil Davis] experience was visible on our first call, and it was no question to our team who we wanted to work with.

It was between $20,000 and $30,000.

We began the project in August 2014 with an on time completion date of November 2014.

We have a name, logo and tagline for a system that we are continuing to build. Tungsten was able to provide us a timeless name that allows us greater flexibility for any possible changes made to the platform in the future. We will rehire Phil to help us create the names for different modules within the new system.

What distinguishes Tungsten Branding from other providers?

Tungsten set themselves apart from the rest on the first call. Phil understood and executed the attributes that we desired for the name in various and unique ways. Tungsten's due diligence process and ability to ask the right questions made them able to clearly articulate why they chose each name, tagline, and logo option they presented to us. With Phil's expertise, we were able to get a large group of stakeholders to come to a consensus with ease. He is a very fun person and makes the process interactive and very informative.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

We have no constructive criticism. We have actually just signed another contract with Tungsten to rename one of our companies.

Naming for Non-alcoholic Beverage Company

"I was very impressed by his approach and his knowledge. He seemed to understand both the art and science of naming."

Tungsten Branding provided brand strategy consultation as well as naming and tagline creation services. The team offered numerous naming options for a variety of brand feels.

Washington, D.C. Metro Area
Bruce Blosil
CEO and Founder, Delmosa

Tungsten demonstrated ethical practices when they refused work that they knew wouldn’t deliver results. There were five or six final contenders, and the chosen name proved to be just right. The team helped hone the brand overall with a combination of rigor and humor.

We develop, source, import, and sell sophisticated, artisanal non-alcoholic beverages. The beverages are delicious on their own but are nuanced enough to pair well with certain types of food.

I am the CEO and co-founder of the company along with my wife.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

After incorporating, we tried for a couple of months to name the company on our own. We learned quickly that there's a difference between coming up with a name that sounds cool or interesting, versus a name that's effective in building your brand and bringing business to you. I did some research and looked for a naming agency to give us a hand in creating a name that would be effective for our business.

The three main services provided by Tungsten were naming, tagline creation, and brand strategy.

Please describe Tungsten's naming process briefly.

I thought his process was unique and interesting. When you first approach Phil [Davis, CEO of Tungsten Branding], he interviews you, and he wants to see if you're ready to go through the naming process. From his perspective, in order to be ready to name your company, you need to have a very sharp focus on what your company is and what it does, so that he can create names that are specific to building on that identity.

Actually when I first approached him, he didn't feel that I was ready yet, that a tight focus had not yet been achieved, and he actually encouraged me to go back to work for a little bit to achieve that focus. I'm sure there's a lot of people that would have been just happy to take your money and get right to work, but he showed me a lot of professionalism and integrity when he asked me to go back and do a little bit more work before engaging his services.

We wanted a name that was novel, so we weren't looking for something that you could just pull out of the dictionary. We wanted to create a new name. But, even with that in mind, Phil takes you through a number of steps where he creates these concepts, and they're not necessarily, in the early rounds, intended to be the specific name that you'll use, but giving a concept of what your name could be. Some of them were very aggressive, very avant-garde even, and kind of edgy. Others were much more conservative.

Through the early process, he's trying to offer you that range of concepts, trying to determine if you're more comfortable with an edgy name or something more conservative. In the course of that process, we learned we were looking for something not conservative, but not something too far out there because we were dealing with consumer products. We also learned that we wanted a novel name, something that didn't exist before.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

We interviewed several firms, and they were all quite well known. Their prices ranged considerably, and their approaches were all very different. Every one of them had their strengths. How I found Phil was more indirect. I was going through the process of trying to name the company myself. Phil has written a number of articles that are available on the Internet about the naming process, and so I had read a few of his articles and even watched a video clip of him making a presentation to a group.

I was very impressed by his approach and his knowledge. He seemed to understand both the art and science of naming because it really is one part science and one part art. When I finally realized I wasn't going to be able to name our company myself, I circled back around to Tungsten because I was familiar with Phil's teachings and tutorials online. When we spoke, we really clicked, and he just seemed to get us and what we were trying to do.

In total, it was between $10,000 and $15,000.

The project lasted for about five months in 2014.

The first name we chose ended up running into a copyright issue. Fortunately, we had done five or six final selections with Phil around different name concepts, so we had other names we could choose from. I think we're actually happier with the name we ended up with, as opposed to the one we chose at first.

The name, Delmosa, is a novel name. It kind of sounds familiar to people, but it's not a name they've encountered before. It's easy to pronounce. In almost no matter what language you speak, it rolls off the tongue. It sounds sophisticated and European, which is perfect for our target audience. It was right what we were looking for. We've found, in the course of our business so far, that people like the name, it is easy for them to spell and pronounce, and it sounds sophisticated and interesting to them. Many people ask us the origin of the name and that gives us a chance to explain how we came up with the name and its meaning to us.

What distinguishes Tungsten Branding from other providers?

The process of working with Phil was outstanding. He was always very responsive and always hit his timelines. He's got a great sense of humor, which is actually more important than you might think in a process like this. Working with Phil really took the pressure off us, and sharpened our overall vision for the company. I give Phil and Tungsten very high marks from both the standpoint of the services they offer and the fun of working with them.

Is there anything Tungsten Branding could have improved or done differently?

At first, we thought it was a weakness that Phil had very little experience in the food and beverage industry, which meant there was a learning curve as he caught up with industry concepts and jargon. Ultimately, however, I think that ended up being a positive for us because it meant he was able to come in with a fresh eye and position us in a unique way in the industry.

Naming and Branding for Real Estate Advisory Firm

"The due diligence they did at the beginning paid dividends throughout the entirety of the project."

Dec. 2014 - Jan. 2015

Tungsten provided a new name, tagline, logo, and brand guidelines for a business made up of multiple vocal stakeholders. Each package came with descriptions of the reasoning and philosophy behind it.

Austin, TX
Mark Wheeler
Principal, Trivanta

The chosen name endowed just the right combination of distinction, professionalism, and security, and its success was a result of Tungsten’s diligent pursuit of the brand’s core personality. The team was friendly, patient, and thorough.

Trivanta is a commercial real estate advisory firm. We specialize in investment advisory and sales for retail and restaurant properties.

I'm one of the three principals in the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Tungsten Branding?

My two partners and were forming a new company out of a merger of our existing companies. A lot of people in our business just use the names of the partners, like law firms do. We wanted something that sounded a little more institutional, a little more like a brand and not just names. We went through a whole list of names on our own, and didn't find anything that really grabbed our imagination, which led us to call in the professionals.

The scope of the work included a new name, a tagline, and assistance with the look and feel of our logo. In that sense, it was really a full branding project. Phil [Davis, founder of Tungsten Branding] did a great job giving us names, reasons, branding methodology and philosophies behind each choice, but we kept changing our minds and going in different directions. I would say we were challenging as a customer, if for no other reason than we were three new partners who were just starting to learn to work together. Finally, we narrowed it down to five names, and we picked one.

We went with that name for a couple months, and then after branding the company and going to some meetings and conferences, we came back and changed the name again. That initial name sounded great at first but, ultimately, it was focused too narrowly on one portion of our business. We found out very quickly that it was defining us too narrowly, and we were having to explain our way out of it in meetings. We ended up going with another of the names Phil came up with for us. Tungsten was phenomenal in how they went about this "renaming" process of their original work. They made it clear that the project wasn't over until we were completely satisfied.

How did you come to work with Tungsten Branding?

We did some research on branding and naming, and we found Phil on the Internet. We read some of his articles, called him, and talked to him about what we were trying to accomplish. We liked what he had to say, so we engaged him.

It was around $15,000.

What was the timeline of the project?

We wanted to do something quickly – within weeks. We started working with Phil in early December [2014], and we had the company named by mid to late January [2015], so 45 or 60 days total. It took longer than we wanted, but that was because we couldn't settle on a name quickly enough.

What have been the results of the project?

The results have been great. The company is growing quickly, and everyone is happy with Trivanta as a name. As I mentioned it's very different from the majority of our competitors. It sounds very private "equity-ish" and institutional, and helps us contend for deals against larger firms. We feel that it gives a customer a real sense of security.

What distinguishes Tungsten Branding from other providers?

I think Tungsten Branding's methodology for finding out who we were and what we wanted to accomplish was something unique. He had very detailed homework for us before he could even start. He sent us a long list of questions so he could understand the message we wanted to convey, who our customer was, and what we wanted our name to evoke. The due diligence they did at the beginning paid dividends throughout the entirety of the project. When he sent us the name options, he had a very good description on why he did that, and what each name was supposed to evoke, what it means, as well as a sample logo. It gave it a whole sense of feel and flair, so you could really visualize it more than just sending us a list of names.

Is there anything Tungsten Branding could have improved or done differently?

No. Phil was very good at keeping us on track for our deadlines. He never made us feel pushed, he never annoyed us, and never made us feel like we were being unreasonable. Even when we came back after a month and changed the name, he only charged a very small amount for acquiring the domain name. I would recommend him to just about anybody.

Gold