Innovative. Beautiful. Mobile.

Thiken is a Product Strategy, Design & Development Company based in Austin, TX. Our mission is to create mobile & web centric solutions that accelerate the growth of startups, and help enterprise level companies to rapidly increase their revenue and productivity. We are equipped with a sound knowledge not only in app development, but in research, marketing, branding and growth as well, which makes us the best option for all your mobile-solutions.

Our products are gorgeous in looks, and efficient in their delivery.

As a company we strive to create the best products and to provide the best possible experience imaginable to our clients. We do what we do because we absolutely love doing what we do. "Passion" is a cliché, so just consider us "insanely obsessed."

Austin, TX

Zulafly LLC |

Razor Consulting Solutions Inc |

QBE NAU |

Product Design for Food Review Platform

"Thiken has an unique willingness to work and support the needs of a team without advanced technical knowledge."

Aug. 2018 - Ongoing

From scratch, Thiken built a prototype for an app with AR capability. Performing market research, they identified target demographics and developed the platform with features to appeal to various stakeholders.

CEO & Founder, Food Review Platform

Thiken developed a seamless prototype to demonstrate the app’s market potential to investors. Continuously refining the product, they take a personal interest in achieving high-quality deliverables. Their team remains an accessible partner who goes above and beyond to support the collaboration.

I’m the founder and CEO of an app company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thiken?

We needed a partner to perform brand and app development for a prototype. We needed muscle behind our app development.

Thiken built the principle clickable prototype for our mobile app from the ground up. They took the time to understand our vision and ideas to provide a solution to our technical problem.

Before they designed the app, their team first got into the nitty-gritty of what we were trying to accomplish. They performed market research to locate our target demographics, whose interests defined our brand and development focus areas. Thiken helped us understand the marketplace of different apps and how different groups use the technology, which has supported our pitching efforts. Their team provided the brand’s background information to communicate to investors.

With market knowledge, Thiken created the iOS prototype. Their team guided us through the process of building the wireframes and designed the UI/UX to be functionally fluid. They helped us communicate our vision to developers who integrated AR capabilities into the platform, which we believe will make us competitive in the marketplace after launch.

We worked with four teammates. Initially, two were from Thiken’s leadership team.

How did you come to work with Thiken?

I’d met them through different technology events that support the community.

We’ve spent about $50,000 so far.

We started working together in August 2018, and continue to collaborate.

Meetings with funders have improved because of the platform Thiken's team developed. When investors see the prototype, they have comfort in the fact we can develop a product at this level. It helps them understand that if we had more resources, we’d be able to take the app to the next level. Thiken delivered what we wanted visually in an app; the prototype is snappy, clean, and fresh.

How did Thiken perform from a project management standpoint?

Thiken has been more than available and more than helpful. Their team has said they wish they’d had more time to dedicate to our project. They created a really good product and want to continue to refine it, which we really appreciate.

Their team takes a holistic approach, showing a vested interest in the actual products. They understand that if we receive funding, we can grow and that’s something they want to be a part of.

They have the ability to reach people where they are. Thiken has a unique willingness to work and support the needs of a team without advanced technical knowledge. It’s been a great comfort to know that I have their team in my corner to help me push the app.

Thiken has a number of bigger projects with a lot more funding coming in, but I’ve never felt like they’ve neglected our product. Their team is available, ready to give me an answer if I need one.

Just from an investors standpoint, their team has been helpful and supportive of our communications. I think they’ve gone above and beyond, putting their heart and soul into this work. We’ve found some of the best people.

It took a little longer than we’d anticipated just to develop the prototype, but I think that’s due to the complexity of the app. They managed the project as quickly as they could with the resources they had.

Be open to collaboration.

Branding & Design for Online Ordering App

“Thiken designed a beautiful frontend that's brought our ideas to life perfectly.”

July 2018 - Ongoing

Thiken provided branding and frontend design services for a mobile ordering app. They also helped fix bugs and checked the backend code to ensure the functionality of the app overall.

Anthony De Los Santos
Founder, Ordertext LLC

Thiken provided beautiful designs for the frontend of a mobile app, collaborating with internal teams to strengthen the backend as needed as well. In addition to their technical and creative expertise, their team was easy to work with and often delivered ahead of schedule.

I'm the founder of Ordertext LLC, an in-house ordering app for bars and restaurants.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thicken?

We reached out to Thiken to help brand and design our app, mostly focusing on frontend development work.

Thicken walked us through a rebranding process, working with our team through a discovery phase to help us narrow down various design elements. They then developed the frontend of the mobile app, and their team was able to collaborate with our team a bit on some of the backend as well, fixing bugs and ensuring the code was running properly.

I worked directly with Pasindu (CEO and Co-founder, Thiken) and Pavithra (Chief Design Officer, Thiken), as well as a couple designers and developers.

How did you come to work with Thicken?

They were listed as one of the top design firms in Austin on Clutch, so we reached out to them based on their positive reviews, along with six other firms we considered. After meeting with all seven firms, we ultimately felt Thiken was best equipped for the project, and we liked that they were both technically savvy as well as talented, creative designers.

We invested close to $20,000 in total.

We started working on the project in the summer of 2018 and, although the the app just went live, we anticipate working with them again in the near future. We definitely feel like they're part of our team now.

We've received great feedback from everyone regarding the design of the app. Thiken designed a beautiful frontend that's brought our ideas to life perfectly. I'd recommend them to anyone based on our experience.

How did Thicken perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always on time with deliverables and very collaborative and alert during meetings. We communicated through Slack and worked in design sprints, iterating and testing through each stage as needed. They not only met our deadlines, but often delivered ahead of schedule.

Thiken is one of the few agencies on the market strong in both development and design. Usually, a firm either excels at coding or purely in the creative space, but Thiken has expertise in both areas and they're also easy to work with all around.

I can't think of anything I'd change from our experience.

Provide in-depth answers to their branding and identity questionnaire, so they have a lot to work with to come up with unique design solutions.

Custom Web Dev for Oil & Gas Technology Company

“[Thiken was] a strategic partner that took time to learn our field and guide us through the process collaboratively.”

June 2016 - Dec. 2017

After conducting a research phase to understand the client’s goals, Thiken built an ecommerce site with auction functionality from scratch using C#, AngularJS, and Microsoft Azure.

Mike Roth
Founder, TNOS

The end product met all requirements and exceeded all expectations. Effective leadership, willingness to collaborate, and a broad variety of expertise made them a versatile and reliable partner. Their cost structure set them apart from their competition.

I’m the founder of an oil and gas technology company called The Non-op Shop. We're a digital platform that facilitates buying and selling relevant assets.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thiken?

We were looking to create an online marketplace to support our business. I had a clear idea of what I wanted the site to look like and needed help with execution.

Thiken conducted a research phase to understand the industry and worked closely with me to build a new ecommerce site from scratch. We worked through the general hierarchy of the site, specific features I was looking to include, color schemes and design, etc. I also provided them with Photoshop sketches to give them an idea of the look and feel I was picturing. They asked a multitude of questions before writing any code to ensure that the development process was deliberate. This phase took several weeks, but once everything was compiled, they were ready to start with development.

The site is an ecommerce platform that allows clients to log in, upload assets that they’re looking to sell or divest, and connect with interested buyers. It also includes an auction module that allows users to place and track bids on specific products. Thiken built out the site using Microsoft Azure for cloud services, C# for the backend, AngularJS for the frontend, and Heroku to launch. There were also a few other languages utilized minimally across the platform.

At any given point, we were working with between two and five people from Thiken including project managers and developers. The CEO was also actively involved throughout the process.

We invested $25,000-$50,000 on this project.

We started working together in June 2017, and they completed the project in December.

We didn’t know what to expect going into this project, and I was very pleased with the level of communication and quality of work. They exceeded my expectations on many levels. Although I was only one of their many clients, I felt as though my project was important to them. That speaks volumes about not only the quality of leadership, but also the inclusive and collaborative nature of their company’s culture. Their cost structure is also very reasonable for the quality of services that they offer. I plan to use them again on my next project.

How did Thiken perform from a project management standpoint?

We never had any issues. They were very responsive and made themselves available at all times. They were always very attentive and depending on the size/urgency of an augmentation we requested, they would usually send back a revised version within 24-48 hours.

Typically, you find that web development firms have a lot of knowledge in their particular specialty. The breadth of expertise at Thiken, especially with their CEO, spans far beyond web development and sets them apart from competitors. I was very impressed by their knowledge of modern technologies and various development strategies, which they implemented according to how well suited it was to our needs. They were a strategic partner that took time to learn our industry and guide us through the process collaboratively. We also appreciated the CEO’s hands-on approach to our project.

They’re a young company so they’re hiring rapidly, and it may be a challenge to scale their business to growing demand while staying up to date on the latest business/web development trends. If they continue on their current course, they’ll be a great partner for larger projects as well.

I had very vivid images around what I was looking to accomplish in the project, but I found that giving them the freedom to explore different options was the most effective way to work with them. They’re great at connecting the dots and understanding what it is you’re looking for. Thiken offers cost-effective solutions, knowledgeable team members, and high-quality design ideas.

App Dev for On-Demand Fitness Startup

"The most impressive part of working with them is their flexibility."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

Thiken is developing an iOS and Android app, as well as a website, with on-demand video workout functionalities. They’re also consulting on app market trends for marketing purposes.

Florida
CEO, Vital Ventures Technologies

Thiken was nimble with the app’s design, allowing an ongoing discussion about the way the final product would perform. Although communication was a challenge in the beginning, the team resolved those issues and is now much more responsive.

Vital Ventures Technology is a mobile platform that will be working in the fitness, health, and wellness space. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thiken?

Thiken is developing our mobile app. I have a developer that does code review and makes sure Thiken is performing to standards, but my resource isn't actually writing any code.

The app is an on-demand fitness app that will connect people together for fitness workouts. We’re trying to drive the price of fitness down. It’s a free app to download, but it is a service so the user has to pay for the service. We gave Thiken a very elementary design to give them an idea of what we wanted, and they brought it to fruition. They knocked it out of the park.

They’re also working on our website. The backend of the website is being hosted on Microsoft Azure and they’re utilizing either a SQL or MongoDB database. We’re doing the marketing and strategy on our own. We ask Thiken for market trends and other things pertaining to mobile apps. We do our own research but we like to ask them questions since they know the market better.

They have one or two project managers and six developers working on the project. There are two iOS developers, two Android developers, and two developers working on our website. It’s a large app.

How did you come to work with Thiken?

In the beginning, I had my own developers. Once my developers decided they didn’t want to do the project, I had to find someone else. I searched online and found Thiken. They put a bid in along with several other companies. When I find someone I want to do business with, I need to meet them. If I don’t feel right about a company, I won’t do business with them.  I met with all of the firms that put in a bid and felt at ease with Thiken. I’m happy I went that route. I was living in Fargo, ND but I travel for a living, so I wasn’t really looking for someone local.

How much have you invested with Thiken?

The project including all three platforms will cost between $120,000 and $130,000 once it’s completed.

I started working with them in August 2016, and the work is ongoing. We have a year contract with 10 months being for the build and two months of support. If we were to build the app the way we wanted to, it would take anywhere from 10 months to 18 months and it would be very expensive. We’re going to release portions of the app instead of releasing the entire app at the same time.

We did our first event a few weeks ago in Seattle, Washington. We didn’t release the app to the public but we set up test phones with the app installed. That allowed people to get familiar with the app and build some brand recognition. We had over 1,000 people come to the booth to look at the app. We were able to sign people up for the app. There was one phone that started to act up, but Thiken was on standby in case something went wrong, and they were able to fix the issue we were having.

We’re about two months away from releasing the iOS version and then we’ll release the Android version a couple of weeks later.

How did Thiken perform from a project management standpoint?

At first, it was a little hard, but it was more from my team. They work different hours than we do, so the timing was off for communication. Our project manager was on top of things and did a good job.

What did you find most impressive about Thiken?

The most impressive part of working with them is their flexibility. That’s important because this is our first time building an app. They allowed us to do an open design phase, which really helped us craft the product in a way that’s going to be very useful for the end user. You can’t put a dollar value on that.

Are there any areas Thiken could improve?

Six months ago, I would’ve said communication but we’ve been able to work that out. I can’t think of anything else.

I’m ready to do my next project with them.

App Dev for Live Streaming iOS Music Platform

“They took a deep interest in understanding the client, taking the time to know the people they’d be working with.”

Aug. 2015 - Nov. 2016

Thiken built the backend/frontend of a unique iOS app that was designed for live streaming music. The team worked on the UI/UX wireframes, landing page development, beta testing, SEO, and marketing strategy.

CEO, Live Streaming Platform

What sets Thiken apart is a keen interest in the incubation process. They also offer premium design work, adherence to specification, a willingness to listen, and cost-effective pricing, which makes them an ideal vendor for startups.

Our product is a live streaming mobile application designed for label artists. I am the founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thiken?

The biggest issue was finding an affordable development agency that could provide consistent, trusted quality of work.

Thiken helped us build our mobile platform from incubation to release on the iOS App Store. We outsourced everything to them, but Thiken created all the wireframing in collaboration with me. They also helped with a bit of after-the-fact marketing, web development of our landing page, search engine optimization, and creating a presence for it. They also handled various other tasks around our launch strategy. I worked with three or four people from Thiken’s team, including a project manager, and one of their UI/UX [user interface/user experience] designers.

How did you come to work with Thiken?

We looked at the Los Angeles market extensively but were unable to find someone who took a deep interest in us as a client. I found a review of Thiken while reading an article about Fargo, North Dakota, and started doing more research. I was looking for a US-based, cost-effective dev firm. We reached out to Thiken when their company was still relatively new. One of their founders had written an article explaining his deep interest in being involved with an idea from early conception. I found the incubation process interesting, as well as the fact that they took a bigger interest in clients.

How much have you invested with Thiken?

The cost of Thiken’s work was altogether $50,000. This included tons of screens which they designed as well as a couple of pivots with the project.

We started working with Thiken in August 2015. The app went live on the Apple Store on November 8, 2016. I would have given Thiken another project, but they didn’t have room for it at the time.

We showcased a working model of the app at SXSW Tech Spotlight and received a ton of positive feedback on the quality and premium look of the designs. This was all custom work, with no templates used whatsoever. Label artists and people in the music industry took to the premium look and feel of our product. Thiken helped us pursue and beta test it. We have seen around 2,000 downloads so far.

How did Thiken perform from a project management standpoint?

We had no issues. Thiken provided a good project scope, we had weekly sprints and had regular updates. There were no missed deadlines.

What did you find most impressive about Thiken?

They took a deep interest in understanding the client, taking the time to know the people they’d be working with. This led to an improved product since understanding the background of the concept was essential for its functionality. Thiken provided care for us, as a client, letting us understand the intentions behind their work. It struck me as different from what I’d experienced with other tech firms. The quality of the design was also impressive.

Are there any areas Thiken could improve?

Growing as a firm and being able to handle more business would be the only improvement I can think of for Thiken. I can’t think of anything negative about my experience with them.

I have no complaints.
    Compared to other quotes I received, the cost was affordable.
    I’ve done it twice.

Software Development for Recruiting ERP Platform

"So far, we haven’t seen anything negative about Thiken’s work."

Aug. 2016 - Ongoing

For this ongoing engagement, Thiken handles development and design for a massive ERP platform endeavor on iOS, Android, and the web. Their involvement extends to prototyping and product strategy.

Madhu Basu
CEO, Unnanu

The project team’s guidance, creativity, and talent regarding product development lead to a great relationship. While the initial product remains in beta testing, Thiken’s suggestions and hard work consistently increase efficiency. However, they could slow down in order to ensure higher quality.

Unnanu is an Austin-based startup ERP [enterprise resource planning] platform for hiring. I am the founder of the company. I have been working in the IT services industry for 10 years.

What challenge were you trying to address with Thiken?

When I was validating my decision to create a startup based on my professional background of 20 years as an ERP consultant, I was looking for a development firm which had good UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design capabilities.

We are building an ERP platform with a massive vision. It will be a multiyear project, and we haven’t reached 30% completion yet. We are working on a completely web-based version for hires, and the mobile version for recruiters is planned to launch in 2018.

Candidates can record video-based profiles through the platform for free. In order to become verified and have a higher ranking for companies, they need to become pro.

The prototyping, development, and design have been the tasks of Thiken. They are also involved in our company and product strategy. We take input from their team in all areas, but also have a marketing specialist.

How did you come to work with Thiken?

Quality was the biggest factor in choosing a company, and I invested a couple of months for the research. I was working through SXSW Startup Spotlight in 2016 and found a company which had worked with Thiken. I liked the smoothness of their application and connected with the founder of that company, who then referred me to Thiken.

There were tons of other companies I found interesting, but they weren’t as reachable. The local companies I found were much too expensive. IT development projects like ours are very complicated, and I didn’t want to start a collaboration with a company that didn’t provide a personal connection.

How much have you invested with Thiken?

The cost of Thiken’s work has been $250,000 so far. We are fundraising an additional $2 million over the next 18 months, which will also be used for marketing. More than an app, we are building an entire ERP platform for recruiting and hiring, which will have different interfaces for candidates and recruiters on three different platforms. It will be a big undertaking for us.

We started working with Thiken in July 2016 for the initial wireframing process. My ultimate goal is to build an internal team for the company in order to have a better connection to the product. The free candidate version is available on iOS, Android, and the web.

We are currently doing a beta test for the candidate platform. So far, we haven’t seen anything negative about Thiken’s work. They are a very talented team from a product development standpoint.

How did Thiken perform from a project management standpoint?

I am managing most of the project myself, which is important to do when working with a team like Thiken. They have stuck to our timeline for the different products we’re developing. We’re trying to implement Aha!, which is a product strategy and roadmapping tool. Thiken has internal project management, but I don’t need that service. I focus only on our deliverables and timeline, and they’ve been on target as long as I don’t inject too many changes in the solution requirements. We have juggled certain features in order to finalize the ones we considered most important first. This is the reason we’ve needed Aha!. Thiken has shown me that it’s a good tool for product strategy, so we bought a license.

What did you find most impressive about Thiken?

They are very creative and hardworking. I have visited Thiken’s team on a few occasions and found them to be very talented.

Are there any areas Thiken could improve?

Their development team is sometimes too optimistic about our tasks. I have had to make them slow down at times. At the end of the day, we’re all trying to achieve the best quality product possible, but if we rush, we’ll make small mistakes. As any development company, Thiken is working on multiple projects and they do want to move on with the work, so I’ve had to put the brakes on them.

I take the blame for delays because I keep on changing requirements.
    They are very competitive. I’ve looked at other vendors, compared to which Thiken has good value.