The Drupal Experts

Symmetri Technology is focused on designing, developing, and supporting world-class Drupal powered websites. As an established Drupal consultant, we provide comprehensive web strategy and execution for all types of Drupal projects; higher education, manufacturing, nonprofit, healthcare, marketing, and e-commerce.

We're headquartered in Northville, MI and have additional offices in Grand Rapids, MI and Chicago, IL. When you hire Symmetri, you are partnering with a professional Drupal team to understand your goals and deliver fully supported solutions.

A SYMMETRI MARKETING GROUP COMPANY

In 2016, Commercial Progression merged with Symmetri Marketing Group, a Chicago based full-service B2B brand and digital marketing agency focused on helping organizations create interactions that are meaningful to their customers, and to their brands. Symmetri’s mission is to use truth, purpose and creativity to build brands and drive sales for its clients. Symmetri Marketing Group offers a complete suite of digital agency services; digital marketing strategy, design, development, support, and consulting.

DRUPALCARE PRO-ACTIVE DRUPAL SUPPORT

We offer proactive Drupal support and maintenance with plans to cover website deployments of any size. DrupalCare is our flagship support and maintenance service that can proactively cover the security and update needs of any Drupal website. Top university websites and manufacturing companies depend on DrupalCare to keep their Drupal websites up to date and secure.

2008
Northville, MI
  • 455 E Cady St Suite 302
    Northville, MI 48167
  • 625 North Michigan, Suite 2100
    Chicago, IL 60611

Our growing client list includes a portfolio of nationally recognized brands across a diverse set of verticals: National Geographic Channels, ZF-TRW Automotive, The University of Michigan, Western Michigan University, Kettering University, The Nature Conservancy, The National Council of Nonprofits, The Detroit Zoo.

Drupal Support and Maintenance For Artisan Ceramics Manufacturer

“They were friendly and easy to understand. They’re excellent communicators.”

Commercial Progression originally integrated QuickBooks with a Drupal CMS. Later the team handled migration from Drupal to Shopify, which involved project scoping and custom back-end development.

Detroit, Michigan
Owner & Founder, Ceramics Manufacturer

Although Drupal was too complex to serve as a viable solution or produce positive results, Commercial Progression delivered excellent work. The team was able to salvage a failing project, transform it into a functional product, and communicate efficiently and personably about expectations.

Could you briefly describe your company?

We are a manufacturer and distributor of artisan ceramic art tiles located in the Midwestern United States.

I'm the founder of the company.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you initiated the relationship with Commercial Progression?

We paid a previous firm a lot of money to build a Drupal website that was going to integrate with QuickBooks on the backend, which I didn’t realize was cutting-edge Web activity. The previous firm was simply falling apart as our project was progressing, and they weren’t succeeding. I eventually bought them off, brought my code up and handed it to Commercial Progression to see if they could finish it and make it work. We were at the margins of their businesses. We’re really small. We had a minimum retainer. They were able to get our system working.

Since that time, we have actually decided to cease using Drupal altogether and transitioned to Shopify because Drupal and our work with Commercial Progression didn’t give us the ability to do what we wanted with our site. I don’t know if there was too much gunk hardwired in the old code or what was responsible for the failures. They fixed it, and they were sure nice to work with. They got it working, which was a great relief, because I had invested $60,000 or $70,000 into the initiative.

How did you select Commercial Progression as your solution partner?

I started Googling around in the Drupal space. [Commercial Progression founder Alex Fisher] turned up as a speaker at some event. I think it was a marketing thing where they were debating Drupal against WordPress, and I asked around about this guy. I sent him an email or letter. He got right back in a really friendly and quick way. I’d heard he was an expert. People told me he was an expert. My initial contact with him was great. He was just getting Commercial Progression started at the time. They seemed to be very professional and I was confident that we'd be able to work with them.

What was the basic rationale behind transitioning from the Drupal to Shopify e-commerce?

The truth is that whatever we were theoretically able to do with Drupal just refused to materialize. There didn’t seem to be much going on. The whole thing was very difficult to digest. Nothing I wanted seemed to be taking place.

The thing that made us change was that I have a second company, and I told that second company they needed a better website, but they couldn’t get a custom one. They had to find one off the shelf and figure it out because I had no budget for it. What they figured out, they ended up with Shopify. Once we learned what they were doing, we said, “Well, this is going to be great. We can control it. We can go in and make out these changes ourselves and test it. At the end of the day, Commercial Progression rescued us from the initial project, but I was too frustrated with that whole solution for our site. It didn’t work in the long run. It had to be abandoned.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative in monetary terms?

The retainer was approximately $1,500 a month. It doesn’t feel minimal to me. I was expecting a lot for $1,500 a month.

When did they complete that project?

It was in a few months. They took it over in February and we launched the site a couple of months later.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they've delivered?

It’s not that our Internet sales have gone through the roof because they haven’t. There hasn’t been a noticeably large impact on the company or the direct internet sales actually. Working with Commercial Progression was definitely a great experience, but the solution simply wasn't right for us. We went into the endeavor with a specific set of expectations and priorities, none of which were ever met. Had we initiated the project under the right circumstances, I'm sure the results would have been much more favorable.

When working with Commercial Progression, is there anything you would consider unique or special about their approach, methodology, or service compared to other vendors with which you may have worked?

They were able to get things done and communicate about them reasonably well. I wasn’t the frontline communicator. That person is no longer with us. I’m not the one that actually worked with them the most. That was delegated to my project manager at the time. They were friendly and easy to understand. They’re excellent communicators. In that sense, they definitely surpassed the previous firm we were collaborating with.

In terms of constructive feedback, are there areas you feel they could have improved upon or are there certain things you might have done differently as a client before initiating a project like this?

As a client, unless I’m hiring Menlo Innovations or something. I would say you’d really need to know that Drupal is the correct tool for you. Apparently, it’s for a much more sophisticated in-house user than we were. We should've known that to begin with. Our previous developer was obligated to provide us with reasonable and accurate recommendations, and that was just not the case. I have no idea how the guts of Drupal work and I still don’t. But, now, I know how my site works and how to change things and make it work.

That’s a tough one. Toward the end, I wouldn’t say we were getting a ton.
    If Drupal was the correct solution, I'd definitely refer them.

Drupal 7 Upgrade For Global Automotive Supplier

"They have a solid understanding of not only Drupal, but also the business ends of things."

Commercial Progression designed and developed a site on the Drupal 7 platform. The project involved data migration, systems preparation, UI/UX design, quality assurance, and database configuration.

Manager of Identity & Design, TRW Automotive

The new site is easily navigable and informative, and analytics show an increase in web traffic and engagement. Commercial Progression coupled a comprehensive knowledge of Drupal with a solid understanding of business strategy. The team was both adaptable and communicative throughout the process.

Could you briefly describe your company?

I work for TRW Automotive. We’re a large Tier 1 supplier to the Big Three [Automakers], actually more than just the Big Three. We’re a global company. We have approximately 66,000 employees and 200-plus locations. We develop automotive safety systems and instruments for vehicles.

I work in the marketing and communications department as the manager of identity and design.

We had previously migrated the website from a ColdFusion environment to a Drupal environment. What we wanted to do was update our website with the Drupal CMS [content management system]. We didn’t have the expertise in-house so we had to search for a technology partner to handle the transition.

Could you describe the scope of the project? For example, did it involve custom visual design, backend development, training, or support?

I worked extensively with Commercial Progression on the design, development, and launch of our new Drupal based site. They helped us with data preparation and migration, systems integration, UI/UX [user interface/user experience] testing, QA/QC [quality assurance/quality control] testing, information architecture, database configuration, and support.

What was the rationale behind the transition from ColdFusion to Drupal 7?

The marketing communications department recognized that we should and could have a more engaging and interactive website. We were limited by our previous platform. As a result, we began researching viable alternatives in the CMS space. Ultimately, we were confident that the Drupal environment would be the best fit for us both in terms of functional capability as well as simplicity for the user.

How did you select Commercial Progression as your technology partner?

After conducting our research, I was able to find Alex Fisher [the founder of Commercial Progression] and his team. They were very well established in the Drupal community. In a similar vein to how we selected Drupal, we just felt confident that Commercial Progression would be the best fit for us. We understood their business approach and their development methodology, and they seemed very realistic to us. There’s always some degree of calculated risk when trying to choose a business partner, but I’m happy to say that we made a great decision in selecting Commercial Progression for this project.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative in monetary terms?

There were many facets involved with this. We have since rolled it out in several different languages, so the total was approximately $100,000.

When was the project completed?

I believe near the beginning of 2013.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they’ve delivered?

We utilize Google Analytics and we’ve already witnessed a steady increase in user traffic. People are becoming more familiar with it. I think the entire site is just easier to navigate. Information is easily accessible and readily available to our users. We had a great turnout for many of our more recent events, at least partially because it’s now much easier to learn about our programming through the site and register for them.

Do you remain confident that Drupal will continue to meet your business needs adequately into the foreseeable future?

Yes, I think so. Nobody has a crystal ball, but I do like Drupal. I like the whole environment. It has served us very well. Having already experienced a platform transition, I’m not really looking to make another big change while we’re still pleased with the current system.

When working with Commercial Progression, is there anything you would consider unique or special about them compared to other vendors with which you’ve worked?

They have a solid understanding of not only Drupal, but also the business ends of things and the technical aspects of trying to get some of these sites deployed. That was extremely helpful, especially when we had different teams working on this. If our implementation team was getting stuck, they were able to come in and explain how things had to be done in a clear, concise manner. They were always extremely flexible throughout the implementation process. They were absolutely invaluable.

In retrospect, are there areas that you think they could improve upon, or are there things you’d do differently as the client before approaching this type of project?

As a client, I would probably try to scope the project out a little bit better. Just having gone through what we’ve gone through, there were certain aspects, for instance the multi-site event, where some of the registration information that we were asking for could have been structured better. Of course, that’s easy to identify in hindsight. The planning process is definitely where we could have made improvements as the client. If we’d spent some more time really evaluating our challenges and goals, we might have had a better handle of the implementation process. That’s really the only thing I can think of right now.

Overall Score They were great, so a Anytime I had a question or anything and I sent Alex an email, he was very responsive.
    That’s one thing that I think Alex was really good about is explaining in terms of what they would cover, what was not covered, and what the cost was. He was always very clear about that.