Outsource your software development

SVAPS Systems is a software development company primary focused on software outsourcing and consulting services.

Services:

Belarus
    +375296559088

Digital printing solutions providers

Document Migration Services for PDF Technology Provider

"SVAPS’ existing experience in the PDF world made it easy for me to pick them."

Mar. 2016 - Sept. 2016

SVAPS Systems transitioned documentation for the flagship tech product after a major version update, migrating older code as well as creating examples to promote better functionality.

Flanders, Belgium
Raf Hens
Director of Product Management, iText Software

Through SVAPS Systems’ convenient workflow and valuable feedback, the published content actively supports B2B customers’ PDF needs. Proactive communication, responsible scheduling, and insightful suggestions make the team successful.

I work for a company called iText Software. We are a technology provider that focuses on everything related to PDF technology. We offer a set of components, software libraries, for developers. We are a Tier 2 provider to other technology companies and help them enable all kinds of PDF functionalities in their applications. We don't offer any end-user applications; we only offer the technical building blocks to other technology providers to enable them to use PDF technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with SVAPS Systems?

When we upgraded our flagship product from Version 5 to Version 7, a big challenge for us was updating documentation. Our previous version of the product was well-documented over the years and was kind of a reference in the developer community, mainly because of that feature. When we released a new version, we had to catch up in terms of documentation. For a more important project, we contacted SVAPS and asked them to help us by migrating the existing Version 5 documentation to Version 7.

This project mainly involved migrating code samples, especially Java code samples, from our old version of the product to the new version. We supplied SVAPS with a set of existing codes, but they also came up with their own interesting examples. We shared a versioning system, a code source depository, where they could commit their work, which was quite convenient for us to integrate into our own workflow of publishing those examples and using them afterward.

In terms of managing the file, the code samples, we never experienced any difficulty working with them or with the technology in general, partly because of the technology we used. It’s a versioning system for source code, which means that if you make any kind of mistake, it’s always possible to roll back or go to a previous version. In general, it’s the default practice in software development to use such tools. We’re accustomed to using it, and so is SVAPS, so we didn't experience any problems working together in that way.

How did you come to work with SVAPS Systems?

I had worked with a founder of the company, Alexander, when he was at a previous company, which was also in PDF technology. When we needed additional resources for this project, I thought of him. We knew each other already, and I was confident in his skills. SVAPS’ existing experience in the PDF world made it easy for me to pick them.

How much have you invested with SVAPS Systems?

We would like to keep that confidential.

We began the project March 2016 and ended it September 2016.

The content that SVAPS produces is published on our website and is actively used as a way of documentation for our customers. I consider that a measure of success.

How did SVAPS Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

We’ve had a good experience working with SVAPS, which wasn’t a big surprise because I had worked with Alexander in the past. I especially liked that they really take ownership of a project. They are not a typical outsourcing company where you have to give them specific requirements, and they execute those blindly. They tried to think along with us, give suggestions, and come up with improvements for the project. That makes it convenient for me so I don't have to spell out every detail beforehand; we can cooperate as the project goes. The fact that they take ownership also meant that our communication was always open. They clearly communicated what they were trying to do and how they would do a better job than what I suggested. They also gave me decent feedback about delays in planning or even vacation days of some of the team members that would have an impact on the project. All in all, it was an easy experience working with them, which is what I expected.

Are there any areas SVAPS Systems could improve?

On the ideas where they took more initiative, it would have been better if they had gotten feedback from me earlier. In terms of the story that we’re telling with the documentation and these examples, we might have been able to be more consistent. Some of the examples are technically good, but they aren’t really selling the story as we would have liked it.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with SVAPS Systems?

When you’re working with SVAPS, I think it’s important to realize you're not dealing with a typical offshoring or outsourcing company. I think you get the best results with them if you communicate with them on a peer level and try to incorporate and value their feedback because they have the experience, and they stick along with not only your technical needs but also your business needs. Use working with SVAPS as an opportunity; don’t see it as a threat from somebody who doesn't want to execute your requirements or roadmap as you define them. Try to incorporate their feedback into the project because that’s a major strength and a benefit of working with them.

Overall Score It was generally a positive experience, and it was easy to work with them. As the project manager, it didn't require a lot of effort to get them to deliver good results on time.
    We generally got our deliverables on time. Communication during the project was open and clear. There were some unexpected delays, which often happens with software development, but they were communicated to us in a timely manner.
    I know we could get cheaper resources if we went to India, for example. I also realize that the quality we’re getting here is much better than what we’d get in a different situation.
    In general, I was happy with the deliverables and the way they did the work. A little bit more back and forth and feedback in the project would have been good in some cases. Apart from that, it was completely satisfactory.
    My experiences with SVAPS have been positive in general. I don’t have any reason not to recommend them besides a few practical constraints (e.g. it’s not always easy for a US or Western European company to work with a Belarusian company).

Software Development for Data Visualization Service

"We’re always on the same page, and deadlines have been met well."

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

SVAPS Systems contributes 10 subcontracted resources to support full-stack software development, maintenance, and testing. The team also assists with cleaning data and designing visualization platforms.

Belgium
Co-Founder, Data Visualization Service

Throughout the hands-on collaboration, SVAPS Systems’ resources have shouldered key portions of the workflow. Their quickness in accommodating feedback, regular communication, and eagerness to meet expectations continue to impress.

We have 20–25 people and specialize in data visualization for clients. We offer our own product and also take on project work.

What challenge were you trying to address with SVAPS Systems?

We had some large projects that required more developer capacity than we could provide.

One of our projects involved a large system for which we needed to process a lot of data and create different visualizations for it. We built a backend system that processed large amounts of data, making it easily queried by the client application. The frontend was built using AngularJS and JavaScript. SVAPS Systems worked as a subcontractor and provided 10 frontend and backend engineers. They were mostly involved in development, maintenance, and testing, but they also helped with some design. The production version needed to be kept live while adding any new implementations, and SVAPS Systems provided bug fixes as needed.

We’ve also worked with SVAPS Systems on a project using Scala, and there was also some Python work done on a limited basis.

The second project involved supply-chain data that were gathered from multiple suppliers, carriers, and logistics services providers. We helped clean that data and built a platform on which all those parties could interact and visualize the data.

How did you come to work with SVAPS Systems?

We’d worked with SVAPS Systems for a different company, starting 10 years ago. They were initially recommended by another party in Belgium.

How much have you invested with SVAPS Systems?

The cost varies month by month. In the beginning, we had a cost of under $10,000, but we have had months with more than $20,000 in cost more recently. The overall cost has been over $100,000.

We started working with SVAPS Systems in September of 2015. The work is still ongoing.

We rely heavily on SVAPS Systems and use an Agile process for tracking everything. The collaboration has been more operational and hands-on, so I couldn’t provide any simple metrics.

There are quite a few people from SVAPS Systems’ side working for us, and we definitely expect to continue working with them in the future.

How did SVAPS Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

We are in charge of project management, while SVAPS Systems mainly focuses on development and testing. We do welcome their input, though. We use Skype and Slack for communication, as well as a whole bunch of cloud-based tools. We’re always on the same page, and deadlines have been met well.

What did you find most impressive about SVAPS Systems?

Being almost in the same time zone has really helped. We did work with companies in India and other parts of the world, and the collaboration was more difficult. SVAPS Systems’ culture is close to ours, which also helps.

Are there any areas SVAPS Systems could improve?

There’s always room for improvement, but we’ve kept a hands-on approach on a daily basis. Whenever something needs to change, we will feed it back to SVAPS Systems, and they react well. We’ve never let things escalate; if something concerns us, we will immediately talk to SVAPS Systems and get it resolved. Although they’re 2,000 kilometers away, SVAPS Systems feels like they’re only a city away.

Working with a development team in general, whether internal or remote, requires open communication lines and continuous investment. The more this is done, the more return the client will have.

It’s always a bit harder to work with a remote team. The upfront communication could be improved, but we’re generally pleased.
    The price-to-quality ratio is good, but improving deliverable management and having more maturity on the architectural side would be even better.
    SVAPS Systems has always met our expectations, and they’re easy to work with. More skills on the architectural side would bring the score up.

Software Development for Document Submission Service

"SVAPS is very capable and responsive, and they do exactly as you request them to do."

Spring 2016 - Ongoing

SVAPS assisted in developing a data and documentation-driven software, lending expertise in creation, manipulation, and submission of PDFs. Their work continues with other contracted development projects.

Philadelphia Metro Area
Senior Developer, Document Submissions Service

SVAPS delivers exactly what’s expected. Their work is timely, the team is responsive to changes and questions, and they’re thorough in laying out the details of a project before beginning. They effectively flesh out questions and challenges before they become problems, ensuring a smooth timeline.

I’m a senior developer for a company that was recently acquired by another firm. My day-to-day functions have more or less stayed the same. We develop software to help the application process for drug submissions. So basically, a pharmaceutical company would find a drug that they wanted to market to the public, but first, they have to submit an application to the government to get approval. They’re required to go through testing and they have to record all the information from those trials. All that information is data, and that data is submitted to the government as part of their application. We help streamline that process with our software.

What challenge were you trying to address with SVAPS Systems?

We have a lot of documentation that is in the format of PDF. We approached SVAPS because we had previously worked with their development director, Alexander. We approached him with some questions regarding how to do certain things with PDFs, manipulation, creation, all that stuff. We heard about his company and went from there.

I don’t know if I can go into too much detail about the specifics about the programs.

How did you come to work with SVAPS Systems?

We heard about them because of Alex, but we ended up contracting them for work with general programs that we were thinking about incorporating into our software.

How much have you invested with SVAPS Systems?

I’m not at liberty to disclose that information.

If I recall correctly, I started communication with them in the spring of 2016. A lot of our projects are one-time projects, but we’ve actually gone back to them several times for different things. That first project we started in the spring is now finished. We contracted them for some bug fixes with PDF work, and we’re currently thinking about contracting them for something else, details still pending.

I don’t have any statistics, but I can tell you that working with them is a very pleasant experience. They are very responsive, and if you have any comments or questions, they respond quickly and address any issues that you have.

How did SVAPS Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

I would give them a very high score. They always try to gather all the information and get the details before they start. Obviously, sometimes things fall through, and when they do, we communicate about it and work from there. Most of the time, things run pretty smoothly.

What did you find most impressive about SVAPS Systems?

I haven’t worked with too many external vendors, but from what I’ve gathered, SVAPS is very capable and responsive, and they do exactly as you request them to do. I would say that stands out to me.

Are there any areas SVAPS Systems could improve?

I can’t think of anything.

Overall Score – It is pleasant to talk to them. They’re very responsive.
    We don’t generally impose very strict deadlines, but every time we’ve contracted out work, they’ve gotten it done in a timely manner.
    They stick to their estimates really well. They have quality developers and they deliver good code. For the most part, I like their timelines and the work that they do within that timeline.
    Most of the time their deliverables are great. They work as expected. The only reason I took off the half is that there was one project that we had to point out some bugs they missed after we told them to fix it. But as a whole, they did well.
    I’m very likely to recommend them. At the end of the day, I’m very happy with their work.