Creative Agency / Full Service Video Production

Studio B Films is a creative agency and full service video production company. We are a team of writers, designers, animators, editors, gearheads, and filmmakers united under one roof by our love of storytelling. With over 20 years of experience partnering with brands and agencies, we specialize in creating compelling and beautifully crafted stories to engage your audience.

1992
Berkeley, CA
  • 2121 Bonar St
    Berkeley, CA 94702

Video Series Production for Science Curriculum

"You can tell everyone who works at Studio B cares about doing a job right, and that is worth every penny."

Nov. 2015 - Jan. 2017

Studio B led video shoots, pre-production, and post-production for a series of videos. They handled everything from location logistics, casting, animations and graphics, and final video editing.

Berkeley, California
Kathryn Quigley
Senior Producer, Lawrence Hall of Science

Internal publishers, review panels, and school districts gave positive feedback on the videos. They were a valuable addition to the curriculum, which is being used by over a million children nationwide. Studio B made the process effortless through outstanding communication and project management.

Lawrence Hall of Science is a public science center for University of California, Berkeley. The institution creates a science curriculum for use nationwide. For this project, we created 70 videos as part of a digital science curriculum series. I was the executive producer.

For what projects/services did your company hire Studio B Films, Inc.?

We hired Studio B to create a series of short narrative pieces as well as a series of direct, on-camera narration. Both video series contained advanced animation work and some 3D modeling.

We needed to create two cohesive video series that met a long list of strict criteria for our curriculum product. It also needed to match the branding guidelines and art design for the overall digital product. We wanted strong diversity in casting, realistic acting, believable locations and props, and scientific accuracy. We also needed to have quite a few of the videos made on a rolling basis as we became ready for them.

We took bids from 10 different organizations, did in-depth interviews, and spoke to references. Because we were doing such a long video series, it was critical for us to go with a solid organization with a long track record of success. Studio B stood out to us.

Describe the video(s) and the process in detail.

We came into the process with draft scripts, and Studio B worked with us to get them to the final stages. Their director planned all the shots, their producers planned all details and logistics of the shoot and location, and all I had to do was show up. They coordinated the casting as well.

In pre-production, I communicated our goals, and they'd provide me with options to choose from. In post-production, we gave verbal or email feedback on rounds of editing and provided specs for animations or added graphics we needed. Their editing team was fast and responsive even to our most detailed, small notes and requested changes. They let me be as involved as I wanted to be.

At the end of the project, they delivered a final uncompressed version, a compressed version for streaming, and the archived working files. They keep all their work for all clients on a backup tape, which will be invaluable if we want to make adjustments in the future.

What was your vendors' project management or feedback process?

They have an excellent production team that coordinates all the feedback and keeps everything on track. We tried to stick to three feedback rounds for edits in post. In production, their producers coordinated all our feedback on set design, sourcing props, casting, location scouts, and costume. It was straightforward; they would set up a slide deck full of options, and we would give the go-ahead.

We got a lot of positive feedback internally from the publisher; they were so happy with the work. We also got a lot of positive feedback from review panels and school districts on the quality of the videos and what they brought to the curriculum. The level of polish and engagement in the videos helped the curriculum stand out and sell as well as it has. It's already been used by over a million children across the nation and is expected to be widely adopted.

The workflow was fantastic. We worked together for over one year, and we got into a great production rhythm and were steadily turning out videos. All their team members had great attitudes. They seemed unstoppable no matter what kinds of challenges or obstacles came up. I was constantly amazed by their talent. My team was used to checking in via Google Docs, and they accommodated us with that.

We worked with Studio B for over a year; I felt like I was part of the team and they made it very easy. They were extremely creative, and they kept the quality and momentum excellent the whole time. We had such a specific and unusual project to tackle, and they were proactive in becoming aware of our needs.

Aside from a highly creative and cinematic shooting style, they're great at sourcing quality actors, set designers, and bringing added value within our budget. You can tell everyone who works at Studio B cares about doing a job right, and that is worth every penny. They were truly just as invested as us in the project.

I can't think of any areas I would improve. The project went very well, and we were thrilled with the results.

Overall Score We couldn't be more pleased with our results.
    They had flawless, smooth scheduling.
    They are talented and they care; that's the value.
    They're the best we've ever worked with.
    I can't wait until I have another project for them to bid on.