Delivering Return on Cloud

As an AWS Advanced Consulting Partner and audited Managed Services Provider, Stratalux helps companies architect and build solutions using DevOps technologies to unlock the value propositions found in cloud computing.   Our team of AWS Certified Solutions Architects have a strong DevOps focus, and have migrated a variety of businesses to AWS. Once on the cloud, we provide managed services to keep our client’s servers up and running 24/7/365.

Inglewood, CA

Blippar

US AutoParts

NewVoiceMedia

AWS for On-Demand Home Services Platform

"In effect, Stratalux has become our DevOps team."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Stratalux handles AWS development to support a scaling service platform, managing all server and database capabilities and implementing rightsizing strategies to limit expenses.

Garry Galinsky
CTO, Serviz

The improved infrastructure has cut hosting and costs by over $3,000 per month, thanks to Stratalux’s intensive monitoring process and quick repairs. The team’s outstanding responsiveness and willingness to tackle problems head-on continue to impress.

I am the chief technology officer for an on-demand home-solutions provider. We provide plumbers, electricians, handymen, and around 12 other service types across 11 major cities in 6 states. When someone needs an at-home service, he or she can access our website, mobile app, or call center, and we will dispatch a professional to the house.

What challenge were you trying to address with Stratalux?

We have a small team and not a lot of DevOps expertise. We’ve been growing and scaling while using Amazon Web Services [AWS] for all our server and database capabilities. Because we didn’t have those skills within our own organization, we decided to utilize an external company for this purpose.

Beyond scaling, much of their effort comes down to rightsizing. In effect, we’ve been able not only to scale but also to save money with Stratalux. They’ve implemented a process by which we can use more cost-effective instant sizes for what we need within AWS.

I don’t know how many developers were assigned to the project. I had personal interaction with one of their DevOps people. The scope was to take our current AWS infrastructure and rebuild it from the ground up on servers controlled by the Chef script, which allowed us to redeploy and reconfigure servers quickly, efficiently, and reproducibly. Stratalux also put in place appropriate cloud-formation scripts within AWS, which launch and maintain instances and will actually scale them appropriately as demand fluctuates and we need more or less capacity.

Stratalux also performed a full review of all our security groups, ports, and permissions to make sure that everything that needed to be was properly closed and that the ports which needed to be available were limited in their availability. Stratalux implemented appropriate VPCs [virtual private clouds] and separated our development and production environments. They did some database optimization—not so much at the query level, but in terms of sizing, disk space, and type.

Since then, Stratalux has been monitoring our system. There have been a few occasions when they reached out to us, letting us know that something would be scaled up or down because of the recorded usage. In effect, Stratalux has become our DevOps team.

How did you come to work with Stratalux?

We found them under some problematic circumstances. We had experienced a service outage on our platform, and the dev team couldn’t pinpoint the cause. It had been going on for 6 hours, and we had exhausted our limitations of creative know-how and things to look for. We reached out to a couple of support firms to see if there was anyone available who could jump on and help us out. Stratalux answered the call immediately. Their president told us that they weren’t a last-minute support company but that they would be happy to help. Through some troubleshooting and trial-and-error, along with Stratalux’ ability to reference error logs better than our own team, they helped us pinpoint the problem and resolve it. We were so pleased with their ability to pull together a team and help us that we decided to set up a maintenance agreement. We’ve since done a bunch of work with Stratalux.

How much have you invested with Stratalux?

The work done for rebuilding our platform with all the right componentry had a rough cost of $20,000. We have a monthly maintenance agreement with Stratalux for around $3,000.

We started working with Stratalux around 8 months ago. It’s an ongoing collaboration. They are our service provider.

I can’t think of anything quantitative to mention, but the platform is up and running. We’ve had no outages or problems since engaging Stratalux. I would say that we’ve reduced the cost of our AWS usage by more than $3,000, which is what we’re paying Stratalux. In effect, we’re getting them for free.

How did Stratalux perform from a project management standpoint?

They use a ticket-tracking system through JIRA. We did put some spreadsheets in place upfront while planning the work, but the primary tracking has been done through the portal. Stratalux has been good at keeping us up-to-date. Beyond JIRA, I’ve been able to reach out to their engineer directly at odd hours of the day, and he’s been very responsive in maintaining communication.

What did you find most impressive about Stratalux?

I can’t say that I have other points for comparison since I haven’t used another firm like Stratalux. When we initially had the outage problem, we reached out to similar companies. Those companies were not at all willing to assist unless we wrote them a check. We had a problem which needed to be solved and were happy to pay for it, but the focus was on the issue itself, not on working out contractual agreements. Stratalux took the approach of jumping on and helping us in order to earn our business. Within 30 minutes of reaching out to them, we were on a call with 4 or 5 engineers from Stratalux’s team and gave them access to various parts of our network. They cumulatively dug through logs and helped us out. Their responsiveness and willingness to help someone who wasn’t yet a customer was amazing. This is something I can compare to other companies that turned me down or gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

Are there any areas Stratalux could improve?

Their bills are a bit messy at times. Stratalux is a reseller of Amazon services, so not only are we in a managed services contract, we’re also buying AWS from them. In some cases, it’s a bit difficult to follow the details of the bill, and I’ve run into challenges when trying to validate it against the Amazon logs. It was never completely wrong, but there is a misalignment. This issue is also a result of how Amazon does its bookkeeping and tracking for resellers. In general, I have nothing but good things to say about Stratalux. I haven’t had any problems with their staff or the work itself.

Overall Score Stratalux was able and willing to help from the very first engagement, which made for the best experience I could have asked for in the industry. It’s been great since then.
    Once we actually have a concrete plan in place, there are no delays.
    Their service isn’t cheap, but, because we’ve been able to optimize the platform to the point of getting Stratalux for free, I would say that they’re worth the money.
    The quality is excellent, but because of the time zones for their support team, the communication around deliverables is not real-time. We receive responses by morning, typically.
    I’ve already referred Stratalux to a friend from another company, and they have contracted the team. I will continue to recommend them.

Cloud Migration for Camera Manufacturer

"They’re very responsive and knowledgeable about what they do."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Ongoing

Stratalux assisted with a data migration from internal hosting to cloud. The team currently conducts system optimizations and functionality additions for AWS-related objectives.

Irvine, California
Director of Web, Camera Manufacturer

Communication proceeds with few delays or misunderstandings, thanks to Stratalux’s international presence and skilled resources. Their committed scheduling and reliability continue to support a long-term partnership.

I work for a camera manufacturer that makes digital cinema cameras. I am the director of web.

What challenge were you trying to address with Stratalux?

We were moving from internal hosting to the cloud, and we needed a partner. We chose Stratalux to help us with this.

The migration is complete. At this point, we’re working on optimizations and new functionality. With their help, we’ve recently implemented the ELK stack, which is Elasticsearch, Logstash, and Kibana; they manage it on a monthly basis as well. They only work on AWS-related [Amazon Web Services] projects right now.

How did you come to work with Stratalux?

I’ve been with the company for about three years, and we’ve had Stratalux for longer than that. I imagine it was based on location, expertise, and cost, but I don’t have the details.

How much have you invested with Stratalux?

We spend between $10,000 and $20,000 per month.

They started working with the company before I was hired, and our relationship is ongoing.

They have a team in Eastern Europe, so we have good coverage. The middle of the night is sometimes the best time for us to do things, and that’s never a problem with them. They’re very responsive and knowledgeable about what they do.

How did Stratalux perform from a project management standpoint?

The sales executive we have now is a bit junior. I asked her a question about our bill, and it took a couple weeks to get it resolved, which is kind of slow. The project management is more collaborative.

What did you find most impressive about Stratalux?

When we speak to them, we are speaking to the principals of the company. We hear from the president or lead people, so I would say they value our business from that perspective.

Are there any areas Stratalux could improve?

They could be more proactive in making recommendations. We pay them a lot of money every month to do this, but they don’t make recommendations unless we ask.

They stand by their commitment.
    They’re neither the most nor the least expensive.
    We don’t notice things going wrong. When they make a commitment, they stick to it.
    There are so many choices in this field. For a company in our space, they’re fine.

Hosting Infrastructure Migration for Animation Group

"I have full confidence in the fact that Stratalux is delivering the website professionally and to scale."

2015 - Ongoing

The project team seamlessly took over the hosting migration from internal IT resources. They are transitioning the website to a new environment and addressing any performance issues that arise.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Director of Digital Production, Animation Group

Stratalux’s resources inspire confidence, which is largely due to their straightforward and effective communication. Other highlights include close collaboration and a proactive attitude to problems.

I am the director of physical marketing for an animation studio.

What challenge were you trying to address with Stratalux?

We wanted to move our hosting infrastructure from the internal IT department, which had been working on it on an ad-hoc basis, and onto a managed services platform. We wanted an expert in the field to take responsibility for our configuration.

Stratalux has performed a number of services for us. We’ve had a collaborative effort, but Stratalux had the most responsibility for kicking off our migration. Our team has grown over time. When we started, I had one primary contact, but I have come to work with an account manager, various technical people, as well as Stratalux’s owner.

How did you come to work with Stratalux?

The internal IT department sourced Stratalux for us. They went through a due diligence process, where I did not have a direct responsibility in decision-making.

We started working with Stratalux 2 ½ years ago. We have an ongoing relationship.

From a response standpoint, the number one thing I’ve looked for in a vendor is the ability to never make me think about the fact that a particular project is taking place. Stratalux has 100% achieved that goal. I have full confidence in the fact that Stratalux is delivering the website professionally and to scale. They are proactive in reaching out to us when something is deteriorating in our performance and in communicating their recommendations. I’ve never had to chase Stratalux in order to get information.

How did Stratalux perform from a project management standpoint?

I have no complaints at all. Stratalux is able to communicate goals in both a planned and ad hoc perspective, which is important. I feel completely informed.

What did you find most impressive about Stratalux?

They’re good communicators. They understand that there are varying levels of comprehension on the client’s end. Fortunately, I am a very technical person so I can comprehend a lot of what Stratalux is saying. They are able to communicate challenges effectively, using clear language, without getting lost in esoteric problems.

Are there any areas Stratalux could improve?

Our needs are not extremely hard, so I don’t have any criticisms for Stratalux.