End-to-end Software Engineering

Scio was founded in 2003 with the vision of helping others achieve their business objectives by leveraging digital technologies. Over the years we have grown steadily and profitably as a provider of web and app development services to our clients throughout the Americas and Europe. Our success has enabled us to attract a highly skilled team and to operate in an environment with a professional, dynamic culture.

At Scio, we strongly believe that our success is based on the success of our customers. Every project we begin is guided first by a deep understanding of our client’s vision and goals. Our role is to use our technical and industry expertise to bring that vision to reality. We are passionate about technology, but we are emphatic about developing products supported by strong business models and rich user experiences.

Our experience spans many industries with a range of clients, from entrepreneurs beginning new ventures to Fortune 500 companies augmenting their teams by outsourcing part of their software development. Therefore, our employees have worked on the most complex software development challenges for enterprises, software companies and startups.

2003

FeedWo

Hayes

Bright Horizons

Staff Augmentation for Email Marketing Company

“Scio rigorously screens their developers, so I can trust that each person working on our projects is top-notch.”

2007 - Ongoing

Scio provides web development support as needed for an email marketing platform built on ASP.NET.

President, SimpleSend

Scio offers a team of well-vetted, professional developers. In addition to being timely and proactive in their approach, their unique backgrounds make for a professional relationship and improved outcomes. They continue to be a great long-term partner.

I'm the founder and president of SimpleSend, Inc, an email marketing services company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scio Consulting International?

I had been outsourcing development support from the Ukraine, but the timezone difference from California was becoming too difficult to manage. I was looking for a new vendor in our timezone to help build out our email marketing platform in a timely manner.

Scio provides development resources to work on our email marketing platform on ASP.NET.

It varies depending on the project. We've worked with anywhere from one to three developers at a time.

How did you come to work with Scio Consulting International?

I had been looking online for a firm like Scio for a while and came across a post almost identical to our needs. Since their timezone is pretty much the same as ours, we decided to give them a shot.

We've invested over $200,000 in the last 11 years.

We've been working with them since 2007 and the relationship is ongoing.

Overall, working with them continues to be a great collaboration. They have a lot of high-quality developers on their team. I know I can count on them to put in the work and be available during the times of day I need to reach them.

How did Scio Consulting International perform from a project management standpoint?

Since we work with their teams on smaller engagements, I primarily handle project management. We use some online tools to manage the backlog of work, and I haven't had any issues working with them or in communications.

Scio rigorously screens their developers, so I can trust that each person working on our projects is top-notch. Their employees are also enrolled in continuing education in their field, which results in more professional, proactive work.

They may already offer this, but one thing I would suggest is that they add a few great designers to their team so that entire projects could be handled on their end from start to finish.

I can trust their staff to set reasonable time estimates for their work.

Software Dev for Legal Software Solution Company

"They are genuine people and great technologists."

July 2015 - Ongoing

Using .NET, Scio Consulting contributes to software that manages and budgets complex projects. The product is based in the cloud and incorporates cutting-edge technologies.

Morelia, Mexico
Co-Founder, PlanningBlocks

Support from Scio Consulting is essential to distributing and improving the product. Their team behaves with the integrity, honesty, and responsibility of employees. They integrate seamlessly with the internal team and point out areas where they could improve their workflow and services.

I am the co-founder of Planning Blox, a specialized enterprise application software company that deals with large law firms and corporate clients. We have a very special software that handles legal project management, budgeting, and monitoring.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scio Consulting International?

We needed software development for our product.

We hired them when we were beginning development of our product. We had already prototyped and designed it, but were looking for the right partner to help us bring it to life. It was developed using .NET, and is cloud-based and heavy in SQL server interaction. It’s all very current technology.

The team ebbs and flows, but there might be 12 or 13 overall. We had a team of nine at one time. They have very little turnover.

How did you come to work with Scio Consulting International?

In our prior companies, we worked with outsourced development firms from India, China, Ukraine, Lebanon, and the States. We needed someone in the same time zone that fit our culture and communication style. We are based in Texas, and they are in Mexico, so it's almost a neighboring city. Communication and technical skills were absolutely key.

We have spent over $200,000.

We began working with them in July 2015, and the work is ongoing.

We wanted them to be part of our delivery team for this product. We don’t package outsourced requests and have them deliver it to us. We work hand in hand with them, and we have a relationship and rapport. They get things done and consider themselves part of our team, even though they have their own organization.

They have no ego, and they're not trying to put forth something they're not. They are genuine people and great technologists, and we consider them as much a part of our team as if they were employees. Those have been the main differentiators.

They use the tools we asked them to use because they work collaboratively with us. We use Microsoft TFS, which works great. They manage us, as well as their own people, very well.

We verify that their hiring practices are what we expect. We communicate with them constantly and consider them part of our team. We see them as account managers, but they don't hesitate to push back or let us know when they need something. It's great.

Their work ethic is fantastic. They get things done, and they work within our own security compliance. They strive to achieve their own internal personnel development and culture, which is great. That's something you don’t see in a lot of body shops.

They let us know if something will be done early or late.
    Costs are as expected. They’re an extremely good value.
    The quality is great, and they work until it’s done right.
    We have already referred them to many people.

Web Streaming App for Subscription-Free TV Company

"Scio's engineers are extremely capable, intelligent, and they produce quality work..."

June 2017 - Ongoing

Based on wireframes, Scio Consulting first developed an MVP, and then a fully-functional television-streaming web-app. They focused on smoothing the UI and refining the UX, and developed custom features.

Los Angeles
Martell Broadcasting Systems, Inc. C/O Breather
President, Martell Broadcasting Systems, Inc.

The app hasn’t launched yet, but the few bugs that have evaded QA have been resolved. Scio is regular in their communication, and the value they place on low-turnover has led to a smooth partnership. Their team is intelligent and capable, and they strive to find innovative solutions.

I’m the President of Martell Broadcasting Systems. We’re a virtual, multi-channel programming distributor providing hundreds of television channels through an application.

For what projects/services did your company hire Scio Consulting International?

We needed someone to develop a minimum viable product (MVP) of our application, as well as create the deployment-ready web app for iOS, Android, and Roku TV.

We wanted to create an innovative video streaming platform that does several things never been seen in a subscription free, internet-based, television delivery app.

I was originally introduced to Scio’s founder by a fellow alumnus of a tech accelerator program. I’d previously used Scio for a software project as a VP at a film studio in Hollywood. I was impressed with their work and wanted to work with them again in this new venture.

Based on concept art wireframes and my notes, along with regular correspondence, the engineers at Scio have been able to plan and refine the development of our application including user flow, architecture, and essential steps. They’re also working with me to refine the UX of the finished app, since we built it in stages. The app is very complex, but the team has been able to tackle the challenge with expertise, professionalism, and patience.

We have over a dozen folks working on the application currently, but they added engineers as we reached completion, to ensure that our deadline was attainable. There has been turnover throughout the year-long development.

Scio was able to develop a high-quality, disruptive, and innovative app, with features that are unique for the industry. We haven’t launched yet, but I’m confident we’ll be very successful.

For the past year of development, I've had regular morning meetings with the development team, as well as longer, weekly meetings to showcase new features as they are completed, to refine features, and so on. I've also had regular correspondence with the product manager. When the team has questions or suggestions on the UI, we're able to meet via live video conference to figure things out. I've found this process to be very effective.

Scio's engineers are extremely capable, intelligent, and they produce quality work while adhering to budget projections and time tables. I've discovered very few bugs that have made it passed their QA testing, and those bugs arose only during very particular situations. Furthermore, we've asked their team to produce innovative features that I’m certain have never existed before, in an application like this. They’ve engineered these with immense quality.

In my opinion, there’s not much that needs improving. To help Scio build what you need, provide a strong foundation by familiarizing yourself with Scrum, as well as the development of wireframes. Have a clear understanding of your budget as well.

Overall Score Scio is a great, world-class developer that I would highly recommend working with.
    I have no complaints whatsoever. Our meetings fit my schedule, and I feel that all of my time was used productively.
    They’re very competitively priced for the high-quality engineering work they’ve produced.
    They’re an extremely capable and talented engineering team that can produce highly complex and difficult applications.
    I’ve used several outsourced developers in the past, and Scio is my favorite. When I have a big, complex project I hire Scio.

Application Dev for Insurance Company

"[W]e’re giving Scio requirements and they’re coming back with options to solve those problems.."

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Scio Consulting created a customer access management system for insurance brokerage using Microsoft Azure. The system managed policy purchases, renewals, and applications.

Ameet Shahani
Director of Operations & Technology, CPH & Associates

There has been a definite increase in client interaction since the system went live, and there has been minimal issues with the system. Scio Consulting is responsive to issues and willing to take on new challenges to meet requirements, applying an agile and solution-oriented approach.

CPH & Associates is a managing general agent like an insurance brokerage. We are an insurance agency that also has the ability to issue policies on behalf of national insurance carriers. I’m the director of technology. I manage our technology projects and our overall technology infrastructure.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scio Consulting?

The goal was to build an application that would allow us to manage customer access to our insurance products including applying for a product, renewing a product, or managing a product while the customer is using it.

We wanted to build a multi-phased approach to a platform that would first allow customers to purchase a policy, and then, over time, also build a customer portal for the customers to manage it. We eventually went on to build an internal portal for our administrative employees to help support customers and manage their insurance products as well. It’s an ongoing project. It started off as a fairly fast paced Agile project that addressed some key functionality and grew from there. Currently, the project is in a maintenance and enhancement mode.

We built the entire project on Microsoft Azure platform with a SQL database. We used a lot of aspects that Microsoft brings including workflows, worker roles, and integration points with several different applications. We have a backend accounting/insurance management system that we had to connect to and then we use a variety of integrations for things like tax calculation, email, document generations, and various other things that are not part of the application but need to be done. We wanted to use the Agile framework to do the basics of what we needed to do to sell a product, and then eventually move into administering it and giving customers access to it and having them self-manage.

How many resources were assigned to your project?

The first team was six. Everyone but our account manager was based in Mexico.

How did you come to work with Scio Consulting?

We did a thorough RFP process and evaluated 8-10 firms mostly near shore. We wanted real-time interaction through phone and Skype. We wanted to the ability to visit the development center and have them visit us. We stayed with Central and South American regions. Of the companies that we evaluated, six or seven responded to the RFP. The choice was based on the amount of effort and thought they put into the response. It was an RFP with more than 30 pages and we got some responses that were just an email, or a page or two. Scio’s response was very thorough. We met with the three finalists and Scio seemed to be the best partner. The experience has been good. It lives up to the way we wanted to run the project. We wanted a reliable team that was dedicated. We’ve had challenges but we accomplished everything we want to do. The costs were in line with what we expected. The quality of the team has been better than we expected compared to other experiences I’ve seen I my previous jobs.

How much have you invested with Scio Consulting?

We have spent between $500,000 and $750,000.

We started working with them in March 2014, and the project is ongoing. The team is half the size of what it used to be but it’s still going.

We went from having 80% of our clients interact with us online to close to 95% today. We had three or four separate applications and processes before, and now we have one streamlined product. That has saved us a lot of time in terms of testing. We do 20 deployments per year, so in the last three years, we’ve done over 100 successful deployments of both new functionality and maintenance releases with very minimal downtime. Our app uptime is definitely in the high 99s.

How did Scio Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

We used TFS initially and have now transitioned to JIRA. That has become better as we got into post-release and maintenance because we have more end users reporting issues. TFS was okay but it’s hard to have end users use it. It’s not user-friendly. We initially had a dedicated PM and now we don’t. We have a lead developer that plays that role and is responsible for those duties. It’s gone well. We haven’t had quality issues or significant issues with delays and releases. We’re small and we’ve kept the team smaller on purpose because we don’t have the capacity as a company to support releases either. We don’t have the end user training and testing available. When I look at release delays, it’s almost always equally contributed by sizing the work too high, having too much on a release, or not being able to test and get it out on time. It’s managed well considering what we’re trying to accomplish and the size of both teams that are working on it.

What did you find most impressive about Scio Consulting?

They’re actually looking to find actual solutions to issues. Some development shops, you have to be prescriptive in what you’re asking them to do and they work off requirements. A lot of times we’re giving Scio requirements and they’re coming back with options to solve those problems. In the beginning, Azure was new and they were just learning it. We knew it would be tough because we’re picking a platform that isn’t well-documented. They were willing to take on that challenge and other things like that. They were looking for different approaches for integration and new components and vendors that were free or inexpensive. It helped us to move along without having to go back and look for more funding. We’ve been able to manage with a pretty tight budget overall. Outside of the actual hosting costs, Microsoft is pretty tough. Everything else has been in line with what we wanted to spend if not less.

Are there any areas Scio Consulting could improve?

We probably needed more release management on both sides to better align certain goals and functionalities. We built stuff before we needed to and threw it out. I think that’s part of Agile. You go fast and find a better solution down the road. You may have had to do that to get to what you needed. It’s hard to say. The teams are good and communicate well. We’re able to have phone collaboration and I’ve been to visit them a couple of times. The team is very easy to work with. When there are problems, it’s solved really well. We get together as a team and solve problems as they come up. That’s all I can ask for.

They meet timelines for the most part. It’s a collaborated effort when you have one outsource partner. Things are never going to be perfect.
    It’s very inexpensive. I know the cost well because I’ve been doing this for a long time all over the world. It’s competitive even three years later.
    The quality has always been good. I always think there’s room for improvement so a five would be hard to get out of me.
    I’ve referred them to other people. They’re great. It’s a well-run team. You have access to the leadership there very easily.