Software Consulting and Development

Scand Ltd. is a software development company and IT outsourcing services provider located in Belarus, in the center of Eastern Europe. The company is primarily focusing on software application and product development using .NET, Java, PHP, C++ technologies.

17+ years in IT, more than 550 successful projects for hundreds of customers globally and over 300 highly experienced engineers are our main assets.

2000
Minsk, Belarus
  • 8b/1-520 Fabritsiusa str
    Minsk 220007
    Belarus

Our customer base include world's leading companies in the field of of ERP, PLM, SCM, CAD and CRM solutions. Every our client is our key client, and our success is the success of our clients.

Social Networking Web Interface

"They just want to do good work."

June 2011 - June 2016

Scand provided additional development on a social network web interface. They completed development for the frontend and backend, server scalability, and a robust REST API, as well as an iOS mobile app.

Founder, Social Network Company

Scand consistently delivered all requirements to standard and their efforts improved the website’s efficiency and productivity. The team is personable and engaged with a professional, dedicated, and respectful work ethic. They are smart, reliable, and extremely skilled in development and coding.

I was the founder of a social media startup when I engaged with Scand.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scand?

I built the first version of my social network web interface and needed someone to take ownership and enhance it.

They did a lot of PHP development, backend development on a LAMP stack. There’s a lot of frontend development as well -- JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. Additionally, there were dev ops involved to manage and scale the server.

We also did mobile app development. We built an iPhone app in Objective-C. They kicked off that project, but I brought it in-house after starting with them. They were able to get it off the ground. The web development was their main work.

The site was a social site with a feed and “like” and “comments.” It had a dashboard, newspaper type view of the network. It was very interactive. It was a very dynamic, single page app. Everything was live in real time. If you voted on something, it would vote and flash and everyone who was looking at the page would also see that flash.

We also had a pretty robust REST API. All of the iPhone development was only possible because they were able to build out REST API endpoints that never existed.

We had 1-2 people working for us at any given time. I had 1 primary point of contact.

How did you come to work with Scand?

I’d worked with them on a previous project at a different company. The company was already engaged with them when I started working there. I enjoyed the working relationship I had with them at that time. When I did this project, I engaged with them.

We started working together in June 2011 until June 2016 for the website development.

I enjoyed working with them. They did a fantastic job. They delivered everything I asked for spot on. I’ve visited the company in person a couple of times in the last 10 years. I’ve been to their office in Belarus. I’ve met their families and hung out with them. They’re really great people. They just want to do good work.

The website was great. There were improvements in efficiency and productivity in the site once it was up and running.

How did Scand perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re fine. I would say 5 out of 10. I worked with them and they did a lot of the coordination of the engineering and made sure that everything was delivered. I was still pretty involved in the day to day. They were responsive. We communicated via email, instant messenger, or Skype.

They have an incredible work ethic. When you go to work at Scand, you get to the office, take the elevator, get to your room, and before you even do anything, you shake hands with everybody in the room. That’s a formality of, “I’m here to do good work and I respect everyone else that’s here to do good work.” You sit down and you work.

At the end of the day, when you’re done, you get up and you shake hands with everyone in the room as an acknowledgment that you finished your good day of work and that you respect everyone else’s work. They do that every day and they do a really great job of it.

They have a great work ethic. I worked with developers at Scand who don’t even have a computer at home. They go home and work on the farm, which is incredible. They come to work and they kill it with codes. They know how to develop. They are extraordinarily intelligent people. They have incredible universities and education systems. It’s admirable.

Know what you want to build. If you don’t get what you need from Scand, it’s because you didn’t define it properly. You will get the product that you define and if you loosely define it, then you’ll get a loosely built product. If you define it very well, then you’ll get a very well written product. It is the product of the effort that you put into the relationship and what you get out of it.

They always met expectations.

Front End Development for Computer Consulting Firm

"They have the ability to tackle a wide array of technical items."

Oct. 2016 - July 2017

Scand developed the frontend of logic of a unique system to develop a cross-platform software solution with a client-server architecture. The system supports Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS platforms.

Pennsylvania
President, Computer Consulting Firm

Scand successfully completed the multiyear project within the parameters and allotted time. The team worked well autonomously, offered design improvement ideas, and practiced independent thinking. Their experience, breadth of expertise, and reliability set them apart from competitors.

I am the president and owner of a software development firm. We develop software for insurance home offices.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scand?

We needed a particular skillset to help develop the frontend logic of a system. We needed expertise in things like C++, QML and PHP, as well as Android and iOS development for our company.

Scand worked on the frontend of our system to develop a cross-platform software solution with a client-server architecture. The system supports Windows, Linux, Android and iOS platforms.

We had a unique requirement, and it was nice to have a duress server, as well as multiple frontends done by a single firm with experts in all those areas.

There were people in and out of the project. I was originally in contact with their owner, but there were other project managers in charge of the work. I estimate that we’ve worked with up to seven resources at one time.

Generally speaking, there were four primary resources. For specialty work, we had the ability to pull in subject-matter experts. For example, we would pull in individuals for Graphic Design or JavaScript related tasks. We also used some QA resources during the build- out.

How did you come to work with Scand?

We conducted multiple Google searches. I worked with another firm in Belarus 15 years ago, and knew that the relative experience level and expertise of their resources were good.

I looked at a few firms in Minsk, the capital of the country, and decided upon Scand, based on what they provided as background as well as their performance on the sample projects we assigned them compared to the other firms we evaluated. It was an elaborate process.

We have invested $100,000 at this point in the project.

We started working with Scand in September or October 2016. We completed the first phase of the project in July 2017. Budget permitting, we will work with Scand in 2018 as well.

We have a completed frontend with the parameters we asked for and within the allotted time. To me, this was enough. This is a multiyear software development project, and it hasn’t been put on the market yet but the feedback we have received thus far has been good.

How did Scand perform from a project management standpoint?

Their English level is adequate, which is a positive thing. We had meetings over Adobe Connect or Skype. They were independent thinkers, able to help improve the design and I didn’t have to constantly supervise them. There are bumps in the road with any project, especially one utilizing non-U.S. resources several thousands of miles away, with a six-hour time difference, but overall it was a positive experience.

Their project management techniques aren’t different or unique to most firms. Scand provides an adequate framework, and their people are conscientious. I drove the weekly reporting process, and there were people assigned to keeping track of certain pieces of the project.

They don’t have a structured project management tool like Basecamp in place, and it may be something to consider in the future. I prefer Adobe Connect to Skype, and we’ve used it for all our meetings. We could share screens through it, go over items as required and record videos.

We had worked with other outsourcing companies in the past, and evaluated six different firms before settling on Scand. What made the experience unique was that they were easy to work with, delivered what they said they would, and had a breadth of expertise.

If a future customer is building a unique solution with several moving components, Scand is a good option. They have the ability to tackle a wide array of technical items. Overall, Scand’s ability to provide resources at an affordable rate, across various skillsets sets them apart.

Having a project management tool like Basecamp, where we could have a more structured view would bring some benefits for them since the work is remote. Scand provides this adequately now, but anytime there’s a relationship being built across thousands of miles, anything the customer can grasp onto, and feel that they’re getting value, is a positive thing. I don’t know how they work with clients in Europe, but it would be better if Scand did something like this for U.S. clients.

They did a very good job delivering what we wanted. We had some items lost in translation because of the cultural divide, but it wouldn’t be different with another vendor.

They did a fairly good job of this, but, since some of the scope changed, it was hard to meet deadlines at times. A couple of items were lost in translation due to the cultural divide.

They weren’t the cheapest, but I wasn’t looking for that. Scand was an affordable offshoring option, compared to resources in the U.S.

It’s hard to get a 5 from me because I expect a lot, but I give Scand a high rating because they’re supportive, flexible with incomplete specs, experienced and conscientious about the work.

I have no problems with them at all. Scand is best suited for development projects where the client has a good idea of what they want, but aren’t sure how to implement it.

Cloud Based Solution for Event Planning

“They are extremely friendly, helpful, and open to finding the best solutions.”

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Scand used PHP, Yii 2.0, and MySQL for the backend, and HTML, jQuery, and Bootstrap for the frontend development of an online ordering solution. They currently provide maintenance and ongoing development.

Norway
CEO, IT Company

Scand’s solution is the very foundation of the company, and it’s utilization and prominence regarding revenue are both telling. Their project management is effective and adaptable, and communication comes with ease. An in-person meeting with their team ensures timely and accurate delivery.

I’m the CEO of a company that provides total-package IT solutions to help our clients with whatever they may need, including logo design.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scand?

My in-house developers were too expensive for some of my clients in Norway, so we looked to Scand to provide more cost-friendly development.

Scand was given our projections, full documents, and mockup to start the project from scratch. This system is fairly innovative in Norway, and they were completely responsible for all the coding involved.

They did most of the programming for an online ordering solution for staffing and extra personnel. The establishment is now able to register and send orders regarding needed missions and staff, then the whole system does calculations to see who is available and invites them via SMS. Workers are able to to accept or decline invitations as they receive them, and can also communicate further via the integrated SMS system. They also all have online profiles where they can make changes. Hours are also registered within the system, and it sends emails based on the approved hours for each mission.

They used PHP, Yii 2.0, and MySQL for the backend, and HTML, jQuery, and Bootstrap for the frontend.

I have one project manager. I’m able to select who I want for the rest of the team based on their availability and what kind of development we’re doing. We’ve been with them for so long now that they usually have the availability we need. I usually have 1 full-time developer for larger projects, and 2–3 part-time as needed. There is also an on-demand designer and person that handles mockups.

How did you come to work with Scand?

My father had used them before, and said they were reliable. I contacted them, and they seemed proper, so we took the chance. It was an easy decision because they also offered good prices, and we’ve been happy with them since.

We have spent between $100,000–$125,000.

We started working with them in November 2015, and the relationship is ongoing. I keep one full-time developer on board to handle small developments, and they also do bug fixes.

We had no system before, so everything was done manually. The technology Scand developed is huge in both how many people use it and how much money the company earns from it. The entire company was actually built on the IT solution, so without it, the company wouldn’t even exist. The reaction to a fully automated system is a lot different than what you receive from just emailing people to fix things.

How did Scand perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning, things were difficult. I wasn’t happy with the initial project manager because we weren’t effectively communicating. Scand was very understanding, and assigned me a new project manager. He’s the best I’ve ever worked with, and he’s always available for discussion. We communicate via email if there’s info to share, and Skype is there’s something to discuss. We use BitBucket for all development and comments on issues.

They are extremely friendly, helpful, and open to finding the best solutions. I believe we are one of the first companies in Norway to work with them, but I was able to meet with them in-person to get a better understanding of how they would handle the project.

I would say this for any development company, but they need to focus more on the task at hand. I know from other experiences that this problem isn’t specific to them, but it’s still important to make sure they truly understand what they’ve been asked to do.

Do you have any advice for potential clients of Scand?

I would recommend having an in-person meeting with them to help them gain a better understanding of the project. They’re open to meeting in different locations. I was in Minsk for a week talking through the project with them, and having that face-to-face meeting really strengthened our understanding of each other.

It depends on who you compare them to.
    They had a good price, effective communication, and were always on time.

Custom System for Publishing Marketing Materials to Financial Industry

“Scand has outranked every other software development company we’ve worked with.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Dec 2007 - Ongoing

Scand built an automated marketing materials engine that uses both the Adobe InDesign Server with predictive analytics and a custom ETL. They also supply business analytics, technical writing, and training.

Director of Product Development, Financial Industry

Extensive resources and reliability helps Scand meet all expectations in this long-term partnership, and their engine allows companies to reduce marketing departments by 50%. A broad skill set and the ability to work remotely are also notable qualities. They’re an invaluable partner.

We’re the third largest credentialed financial printer and financial service company in the United States. I’m the director of product development at our NYC branch.

What challenge were you trying to address with Scand?

We needed a company with a very broad skill set to build an engine that incorporated web and mobile development, document generation, and filing with government agencies, among others things.

They built an engine that incorporates a variety of products for generating and publishing marketing materials related to the financial industry. Our clients use this engine to produce fact sheets, fund marketing commentaries, quarterly fund guides, plan reviews, etc. All documents involved must be compliant with government regulations and generated with the highest quality. Our products deal with a large variety of different data sources that all require very complex business logic.

The product development included big data, as well as both mobile and web development. Scand has extensive experience with Adobe InDesign Server and also with predictive analytics. There’s a very extensive list.

They helped create a specific language that describes how documents should be generated and presented to the client. This incorporates special computer languages we call DSLs [Domain-Specific Languages] that are used for document assembly flow. They also developed our custom ETL [Extract, Transform, Load] data order to aggregate data from different sources, refine it, and make it ready for presentation.

They also provided business analytics services, technical writing, and training.

How did you come to work with Scand?

We’ve been using their web development products for a long time, including their well-known library of AJAX elements. They also have a product for building diagrams when you measure products. Our experience with their ready-to-use software made us appreciate them as a company, so we decided to bring them on board for our custom development. They were able to provide us with all the skills we needed.

We’ve spent between $1 million–$1 billion.

We started working together in December 2007, and the relationship is ongoing.

They met all of our expectations. With their help, we’ve been able to provide excellent service to a variety of our clients. Scand has outranked every other software development company we've worked with.

A marketing department staff for a mutual funds company can be reduced by 50% due to our product. This is a big achievement because it immediately helps our customers save money.

They fit our requirements perfectly. They are a boutique company, so they’re able to provide extensive resources and services for a project of any complexity. We are happy to have such a reliable partner.

Their only disadvantage is not having an office in New York, Baltimore, or Washington D.C.

There were some learning curves with new clients in working with a completely remote company, but it only took a few weeks for us to agree on how we should operate with collaborative tools. Everything has went smoothly since.