Software Development Outsourcing Company

Roll'n'Code is a software development company that offers full cycle development and support for enterprises and startups. We work in the spheres of healthcare, sustainability, business, education, social and IoT

Zaporizhya, Ukraine
  • Roll'n'Code Zaporizhya
    Ukraine
  • Roll'n'Code Gdansk
    Poland

Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Switzerland, Poland, USA

This is a huge and complex app which enables you to read and search the complete published writings of Ellen G. White

There is a huge number of users all over the world.

Main features:

- Sync reading and listening history through iOS, Android  and Mac

- 58 languages

- Study Center with notes, highlights, bookmarks and define feature.

- Sync of Study center elements across all devices

- Bluetooth

- Fast indexed search

- Horizontal/Vertical mode for the reader

- Reading and Audiobook history

- Sharing ability

- TTS, mp3 playing

iOS Development for Digital Medical Resources

"They completely understood and appreciated the need for my idea, and they only made it better."

July - Sept. 2016

Roll'n'Code was tapped to provide the programming for a series of digital medical resources, including an iOS app.

Louisville, Kentucky
Co-founder, SurgeonIDEAS

Roll'n'Code has clearly demonstrated commitment to the client's projects and the client looks forward to future collaborations, including an Android version of their iOS app. The client appreciates that his ideas are improved upon and technically well executed.

I’m the founder and owner of SurgeonIDEAS, LLC. One branch of my company does rapid prototyping and intellectual property for medical instruments. The other limb of the company does medical education development, i.e., websites, programming, and apps.

What challenge were you trying to address with Roll'n'Code?

We usually hire out our programmers and Roll’n’Code is the consultant we used to help with the programming.

They did our iOS and iPhone app. The app we hired them to build is called RVSL, an acronym for “reversal.” It’s a professional medical app aimed at providing quick and up-to-date information to providers about how to reverse the effects of drugs that can cause bleeding. Often, patients will come into a clinic and they are bleeding to death because of an injury and a medication they are taking. Medical professionals have to quickly figure out what they need to give the patient to stop the bleeding. Every region and every hospital is a little bit different. General guidelines exist, but there can be many differences between individuals. Because they were so good, we’re planning on using Roll’n’Code to do the Android app as well.

We also have a website that we run called brainandspineschool.com, which is a free, Wikipedia-type encyclopedia for neurosurgery. In the future, we’re looking at having them help with the search engine optimization. We also want them to clean up the website a bit so the interface is easier to use and the search functionality is better. These changes would make the site a little more customizable per user.

How did you come to work with Roll'n'Code?

It was happenchance that I found Roll’n’Code. I saw them listed with good reviews on another website—I can’t remember which one—and gave them a call. They fit every niche I was looking to fill. I was happy I found them.

I first contacted a local company to see how much it would cost to develop an app. I approached them with the whole manuscript already written and there was nothing that needed to be done on the developer’s side besides the programming. When I spoke to the local company, they were asking for $20,000 to $30,000, and I thought that was crazy. If you went the freelance route, the project could have been even more affordable. I can't say that would have been better, because I don't know how the timeline and that relationship would have been, but there were more affordable ways to do it. Their price was just as affordable as the companies in India, but the language barriers there were more difficult to overcome.

How much have you invested with Roll'n'Code?

We’ve paid about $3,000 for their services.

The project itself took about 3 months. We started around July and ended in late September, which is the timeframe they had given me. They were on time. Everything was good there.

Roll’n’Code came up with a lot of good ideas that made the app more customizable for users. They thought to add a notes section to every page. On top of the pre-existing text, a person can add information such as “At our hospital we use X,” or “Call X to get Y.” That way, they’re building specific algorithms and a contact book within the app. Roll’n’Code also had the idea of including a highlight function on the pages, which gives both novices and experienced users the opportunity to jump straight to the highlighted portions without having to read the entire page. Roll’n’Code helped build a couple of dosing algorithms. I provided them with the equations and the app calculates the strength of a given drug. They also included a nice search function that helps users filter through a list of 50 or 60 drugs. If a user clicks “Search” and types in “A,” for instance, the app will list every drug that starts with an A below it. Those are some of the big functionality features that made us happy.

How did Roll'n'Code perform from a project management standpoint?

Roll’n’Code was forthcoming and communicative about the project’s status. We had no problems or difficulty with understanding each other. They stayed in touch with weekly emails and Skype calls. Usually, there was at least 1 Skype call at the beginning of the week, and then sometimes another at the end of the week. The Skype conversations always were followed up with an email that summarized the call to make sure that they knew exactly what they were doing. That way, they could give the developers the correct information. To show the progress of the app, they had me download something where I could see the working app in progress and make comments on it.

There was never a concern over time changes and they were always accommodating. I’m a physician, so if my schedule on a given day didn't allow me to be free until 6 PM, someone from Roll’n’Code would call me from their home late at night. It was pretty impressive. Eventually, I started feeling bad because they were doing that a lot, so I'd get up even earlier and do it for them. They were very nice that way.

The payments were dependent upon them getting things done. For instance, if at the end of this week they are to the point they said they would be, then they would get paid. But if not, then it will drag on. That was kind of an interesting way of doing it. I appreciated it. It made it feel more honest.

What did you find most impressive about Roll'n'Code?

I would say that the thing that I was happiest with would be the fact that they completely understood and appreciated the need for my idea, and they only made it better. They were vested in the development of the idea. They weren’t there to change it or make it easier for them to build it. Rather, they were there to make the idea evolve.

Are there any areas Roll'n'Code could improve?

Looking back on it, I don't have any complaints. The only thing would be that they don't have a company in the States, but that’s not a huge deal breaker. I like to go to places in person—that’s why I looked locally first—but then I realized that wasn’t going to happen.

The projects were on time, and it was nice that their payment schedule was weekly based, so I didn't have to put down a huge lump sum at the beginning.
    The reason for losing the half star is because the other option would be to go with a freelance programmer or developer.
    The app ended up being better than I thought it was going to be.
    I highly recommend them.

Ad hoc PHP Support for Development Firm

"They’ve [Roll'n'Code have] been very transparent and open and maintain communication well. Even if they don’t have an update, they send me a message to let me know."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Roll'n'Code provide PHP support, specifically for the Kohana framework, as needed. Although Roll'n'Code was brought into the fold specifically for Kohana, they have also provided the client with Andriod development resources at times.

Sydney, Australia
Product Manager, Design Firm

The level and quality of project management provided by Roll'n'Code has surpassed the client's expectations. They find the project managers to be responsive, forthcoming and knowledgeable.

We’re a small development firm. On occasion, when we need technology that we don’t have the technical skills for, we need to look elsewhere. We tend to go offshore.

What challenge were you trying to address with Roll’n’Code?

It was for a PHP framework called Kohana which is not commonly used locally. We don’t have any Kohana developers internally. We needed work done in a short amount of time. We didn’t want to hire someone for one project. It’s better to hire contractors. They also have tools in iOS and Android and API development. This project made use of all of them.

How did you come to work with Roll’n’Code?

They had experience in the framework we needed, but also additional languages that might come in handy in the future.

How much have you invested with Roll’n’Code?

Under $10,000.

We started working with them earlier this year - around May. The contract is still open with them. There was a big burst of work and now it’s ad hoc support on the same project. Sometimes they have to make minor changes.

The project is in production. In addition to that project, we hired them for something else that came up that was quite urgent. It was another project that we needed help with and they were able to do it. It was an Android app. We hadn't hired them for Android development, but they were able to help. They’re a professional outfit. They treat their customers well and maintain good communication.

How did Roll’n’Code perform from a project management standpoint?

I only deal with the project manager. I’m accustomed to dealing with the developers. That was a shift for me and I liked it. Their project managers are quicker to deal with customers than developers are. If they are presented with a question they don’t know, they get with the developers and get back with you. They’re also very fluent in English. They try to match work times with you so they’re available for you. Even outside of those hours, they keep Skype running so you can send them messages.

They’ve been very transparent and open and maintain communication well. Even if they don’t have an update, they send me a message to let me know they’ll get me an update later. They’re reasonably priced and fair in their pricing. If they work an hour and a quarter they’ll charge you for that - not two hours.

What did you find most impressive about Roll’n’Code?

Just having the project management resources in place is something that not a lot of companies have. Their project managers understand the customers and they make an effort to understand the project. The development work is very good as well.

Are there any areas Roll’n’Code could improve?

It would be nice to have work turned around faster, but I understand they have other clients. They can’t prioritize everyone. I’ll continue to use them. They did what I hired them to do and they did it well.

Overall Score I was very happy with them. I’ve been working with international contractors since I had my first project that I needed help with. I know how to pick the good from the bad. There are all sorts of questions I ask before I engage. They ticked all the boxes.
    They hit the deadline. Scheduling is hard because of the difference in time zones. They make an effort to work in the same time zones as us.
    After the first project, they gave me a better price for the second one. I’m used to working with developers who charge enormous amounts of money.
    They do the job right and on time. There are bugs, but I think how a company handles resolving those bugs is important. For any issues that I found, they were quick to resolve them. They don’t charge you to fix their problems. I think that’s wonderful.
    It’s hard to recommend someone if they don’t speak the language well, but if they can type and understand good English, that’s good. They were great with this.

Mobile App Development for Incubator

"Once they understand a project, I think their [Roll'n'Code's] architecture and the basis of the frameworks that they put together are pretty good."

2016 - Ongoing

The client develops various technology-centric solutions and businesses and has used Roll'n'Code for various iOS and Android development work, plus design work.

Poland
Matt Connelly
Founder, Digital Mavericks

The client has happily maintained a partnership with Roll'n'Code on design and development work and now is looking to increase their responsibility and autonomy by delegating larger and larger projects to the company. They'd like to see more thorough QA/testing, though.

We are Digital Mavericks. What we do is basically develop projects for our own ideas. We also do some agency work and some outsourcing work for people that approach us. Primarily, we're doing our own stuff for our own ideas and our own projects. They're all IT related: software development, web-based software, and mobile apps. We're starting to do some stuff in block chain now. A lot of our projects and ideas are futuristic and are looking ahead.

I'm the Chief Executive Officer of my company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Roll'n'Code?

In general, I'm always looking to find teams that feel vested in the project - that actually care about it and not view it as another job to just get it out the door and not really care about the lifespan of it or the actual business idea behind it. I think they [Roll'n'Code] are pretty good at understanding the business idea behind the work. They keep asking the right questions, picking up perhaps some of the things I might miss myself. That's what I'm always looking for, someone who actually feels like and acts as if they're an owner in the project, and not just an outsourced team.

It's primarily been mobile apps so far: iOS and Android development. We're starting to get into some other things now. I'm getting them to quote them. They've actually done some design work for me as well.

They've been doing a little bit of UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design. I've been driving that. They've made some suggestions, which when I've prompted them to actually make some suggestions, they've generally been pretty good. They're active in making UI suggestions. When they do make input, they're generally on the spot.

How did you come to work with Roll'n'Code?

I found them through Upwork, formerly oDesk. They're in the Ukraine. They've had some good success there in working with the right partners. That was attractive to me. Their bid wasn't overly competitive or anything like that.

How much have you invested with Roll'n'Code?

I would say I've spent over $25,000 or so.

We have been working with them about six months, maybe a little bit longer. It may even be close to a year. We got started actually, by doing some design work. Primarily, it's been mobile app development since then.

My partner has been happy with the code of several of the projects. In one case, we had a project that was basically just outsourced for a colleague. They're very happy with it.

I find that when we deliver a detailed specification, they hit the mark pretty well. I'm happy with that. That's why I'm actually starting to pursue larger projects with them, to get them to quote out some larger corporate projects that we have coming down the pipeline here to see if they're going to be able to deliver on those. That's the next level of what I'm considering them for.

How did Roll'n'Code perform from a project management standpoint?

They are good. There's one point of contact which is always nice. They're aware of everything - the history of the project and everything related to it. It's more of a project manager, not a technical person. I would say that parts have been pretty good. Maybe in the future, in bigger projects, I'll need a little bit more interaction with team leads in development. For now, it's just primarily been on Skype with the project manager.

They're working in terms of hours and their availability. I'm not sure exactly how many people they have on their team. I think it's over 30 or 40. That could change. I'm not quite sure.

What did you find most impressive about Roll'n'Code?

I think their logic in developing the code is very good. You can outsource things and the logic is just God-awful. One bug pops up and then it has a ripple effect and causes another. You fix that, and two other bugs pop up. It just goes to the kind of architecture and the logic behind the basis of what they're doing.

We've all been through that in software development, and these horror stories in outsourcing with bad logic and bad architecture are known to happen. Once they understand a project, I think their architecture and the basis of the frameworks that they put together are pretty good.

Are there any areas Roll'n'Code could improve?

I think all programming teams need to be better testers. I have yet to meet a good programming team that also tested their stuff very well. We're always testing, and finding things, and fixing things for every programming team that we work for. I think that's something that they could improve upon.

They were very good at that. They're very good at saying, "We'll get it done by this date." Maybe they're a day late, but they're not weeks late.
    I feel like I found a decent team with these guys.
    I'm just happy with the core code being stable, so that we can build upon it without causing ten other bugs to pop up in the software, and all of sudden having to put out a bunch of other fires. That's probably what I'm most happy with.
    I would recommend them on the basis of their work. On the flip side, I want to keep them secret so I can use them just for my projects. Once you find a good team, it's hard to spread the word and let everyone know about them.

User Interface Design for Multiple Client Sites

"I would say customer engagement and client servicing is their best attribute. They [Roll'n'Code] made me feel good."

2015 - Ongoing

Roll'n'Code has been tasked with supporting UI/UX requirements for the client's customers' websites. Their work has included design from start to finish as well as e-commerce specific work.

Mumbai, India
Malvik Majithia
Director of Development, SearchTrade

In the client's mind, Roll'nCode provide strong customer service and are more available than previously used companies. The language barrier is a drawback for the client because it can lengthen communications at times.

I have two companies. One of them is SearchTrade.com and the other one is Hans Infotech. SearchTrade.com is a web-based online product and Hans Infotech is a software development services company.

On SearchTrade, I'm the Director and Chief Technology Officer and I'm the Proprietor at Hans Infotech.

What challenge were you trying to address with Roll'n'Code?

My core competence in both companies is software development, not design. I was using Roll'n'Code for UI/UX [user interface/user experience] design and also for some certain platforms that my developers don't specialize in. I think we worked with them on junior products and shelf applied products, as well as e-commerce.

For some smaller projects, I would have some in-house designers which might only be working with me through proof-of-concept before they stamp it. On larger projects, they [Roll'n'Code] were there from conceptualization to launch.

How did you come to work with Roll'n'Code?

That's a good question. I think I just found them online on one of the portals. I think it was Elance, now called Upwork. It was quite a while ago. They had a good portfolio to work with and to look at. The design work they had done was something that attracted me in the beginning. Actually, they were good at keeping me engaged.

How much have you invested with Roll'n'Code?

We have been examining many projects together over the last – I'd say one year. I would say it could be somewhere between $20,000 to $50,000 worth of work we've done in the last year.

I have one project going on with them right now which is a design for our mobile app. I've got two more in the pipeline that will require e-commerce, and then there's another design project. I really like the design work that they do because they do it on time and at a good cost.

They've actually never dealt with the clients. They've only dealt with me because we have an efficient working arrangement where we understand each other. We have great customers on several projects, and we have about seven which are public domain websites in the country of Iceland. We have worked on those for well over a year now. I see my own product growing. I’m seeing much better traffic as well, as we ran the design through them.

How did Roll'n'Code perform from a project management standpoint?

They missed a deadline maybe just once or twice. They've been very strong and very competent when it comes to deadlines. There's a language barrier when speaking to someone in India from the Ukraine, but once we figured out how to speak to each other, it's been smooth sailing.

They have their own project management tool - different from the ones I use in my organization. They were more than happy to comply with that.

What did you find most impressive about Roll'n'Code?

I've worked with other design agencies where I've had issues of availability - they're not always available online all the time. I have not had that problem with Roll'n'Code. There's always someone there. When anyone was on leave, they made sure someone else was there handling my projects, and talking with me on Skype and over email. I would say customer engagement and client servicing is their best attribute. They made me feel good.

Are there any areas Roll'n'Code could improve?

I've told them this. They're much better at communicating in English on chat while typing, rather than over a video call or something like that. It simply just takes a little longer. That's all.

Overall Score I'm very happy with them.
    Their compliance to deadlines is high, but scheduling is really difficult because of the time zone difference.
    I could get work done at a better cost based out of India, but I'm just paying a little higher to them compared to my own country because of the convenience and quality that they provide.
    I would say that the quality of service is really good. I'm comparing to other overseas design agencies that I've worked with. They've been the best. I haven't looked for another one in a while.
    I've already connected them with a lot of other businessmen.

Marketplace App for Startup

"There’s a lot of transparency, which enables both them [Roll'n'Code] and me to set our expectations on what will be delivered."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Roll'n'Code has run the gamut of app development on behalf of this particular client who came to them with just an idea for a marketplace app that connects chefs with food lovers that is now being transformed into code and graphical interfaces.

Australia
Founder, Marketplace App

Speaking from many months of experience, the client trusts Roll'n'Code to drive his project forward with little oversight. He does find that the team can ping him too often with small prefence based questions, but overall is very happy with the technical abilities on display at Roll'n'Code.

We are developing a new platform for food artists, which basically includes chefs, cooks, and home cooks, with diners where you can connect, interact, and transact between these two parties. We’re based out of Sydney; this is where we are starting.

I’m one of the co-founders of this company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Roll’n’Code?

Pretty much everything right from scoping and conceiving the idea. Conceiving the idea was rather straightforward. Now, at this stage it seems like it was one of the easiest things to do. After that, they have been putting architecture together and seeing how things would come together. On the technical side, it’s a mobile-only platform at this stage. That’s the way we want to approach it.

A lot of thought process has gone behind it regarding what features we would introduce and how we would make this platform seamless. By and large, things are preset. Regarding the involved parties, where basically you have the chefs on one side and the diners on the other, how do you ensure that the profile is projected correctly? Also, what do the diners get to see and how do they see it? More importantly, there’s a feature of transaction of money happening on the platform, so how do we manage to integrate that with the assurance that everything works seamlessly and smoothly? All this was the initial challenge.

There are still challenges that we are solving every day, which is how we manage to project ourselves, how to grow, how to increase the user base, and how we can integrate certain readily available platforms which allow us growth. These are the kind of challenges we have faced in the past and are facing right now as well, and I’m pretty sure in the future there may be many more challenges which will come through.

We are primarily focusing on releasing the platform on iOS and Android, so that’s where we basically put most of our efforts, in trying to come up with the architecture-related user interface [UI] keeping in mind there’s a good user experience that comes out of that UI. That is why we reached out to Roll’n’Code and basically got them as partners to help us out in developing this platform.

Initially, it started with the engineers only, both iOS and Android engineers, one for each. One of the common touchpoints is a project manager from their side who is basically liaising everything back and forth between me and the developers. She is the point of contact. Then, for the first iteration of our product, we ventured out, got a few web related things done, started a website, put a few things together, and got that thing published.

Lately, what we’re exploring is trying to rope in one of their designers who is absolutely fantastic. She understands. She asks a lot of precise questions, which we answer. Now at this stage, it’s pretty much code developers both on iOS and Android, and there is a designer that we are tapping on. Sooner or later we will be also tapping in one of their business analysts for helping us out for scoping some of the future features in our product. So far, this is what we’ve used with Roll’n’Code.

How did you come to work with Roll’n’Code?

We actually posted a job on Upwork, and through Upwork we got connected to Roll’n’Code. There were several other vendors, developers that actually made bids on our job. We went through a thorough process of interviewing. There was a multistage interviewing process. We wanted to ensure that we were working with the right people.

It was just not about money, not about just getting things done. It was more about the technical abilities. Did the people do the job only for money or was it only for certain personal interests? Was the work of a better quality? Are the developers of a certain standard? We had several criteria that we actually scrutinized the team on, and pretty much by and large, the Roll’n’Code team came out quite high in ranks. There were a few other folks who did come very close, but eventually, there were a few things that ticked off towards Roll’n’Code, and we decided to go ahead with Roll’n’Code as our development partners.

They were very eager from the first contact. They were very keen in the project. Initially, I thought it was just the sheer excitement of getting the contract on Upwork and wanting to just make some money and make an exit, but these folks really came out quite enthusiastic. They’re a young bunch. That was a bit of a point of hesitation, that they’re young kids; do they have enough experience and stuff? We put them through a proper technical interview and through a lot of tough situations where they came out pretty well. The biggest factor, personally from my side, is that they were quite keen and enthusiastic from the get-go. On the second litmus test, they came out pretty well showing their technically abilities.

How much have you invested with Roll’n’Code?

Cost so far has gone up to $25,000. For the whole project, we’ve capped at $40,000; it’s almost at about a good 60%.

I’ve been working with them since January 2016.

The iterative releases that we anticipated would have been at a certain stage, and they were all delivered. That delivery was a point of excitement. There were a few changes that we requested that also got done. When the overall delivery happens, that’s the key point of excitement. Overall, we’re pretty excited from where we started and where we are right now. As one of the key persons in this project, I’m quite excited that we’ve really come quite far considering the complexity of the whole project.

How did Roll’n’Code perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very methodical. I’m hoping they’re very methodical in their own internal working. As I said, there’s a liaison. It’s a project manager from their side with whom I regularly stay in touch. There have been times when we’ve gone and gotten the developers involved in the discussions as well, just to bounce ideas and clear a few blocks that we had in our mind. As far as project management is concerned, I would say they’re pretty good. They’re really good at the way they run their development work.

I get regular feedback and updates. Most of our conversations have been over Skype, so it’s not that after a week or so I’m getting a surprise message saying, “Hey, look, we are lagging behind.” If we are lagging behind, there is some kind of issue that is happening. Just this last week, they moved their office. They gave me a heads up two days before that on this date they would not be able to respond to the email. These are very small things, but stuff like this keeps me informed. There’s a lot of transparency, which enables both them and me to set our expectations on what will be delivered, and this requires that level of project management as well. Especially the person, Olesya, who is doing the project management on their side, she keeps everything abreast.

What did you find most impressive about Roll’n’Code?

I would really highlight the transparency and the openness. I’ll use an analogy. When we’ve posted freelancing jobs outside, there’s always the doubt about if you are really getting the best or is the freelancer really working hard for your interest? You have to be on top of the project. That’s our job, but when working with Roll’n’Code, I can close my eyes a day or two with the peace that things are happening in the right direction. Their transparency in dealing with stuff has given me a lot of trust in them. This is one of the key things that I would just point-blank give my testimony for them any day.

Are there any areas Roll’n’Code could improve?

They’re very focused on detail, and they ask lots and lots of small questions. Maybe it’s just my personality where I may not pay so much attention to detail, but when such granular-level questions come to me in email or chat, it just puts me in a situation where I realize that I’ve got to answer this as well. What I’m thinking is, if I were the engineer, I would’ve made a call by myself, but they prefer to get the clarity from the client, which is me in this arrangement. They go as far as to ask me, “Tell us whether this is the way it should be done. Are we understanding it correctly?”

Good or bad? In technical terms, it is absolutely a good practice, but on a personal basis, I find it annoying at times. Maybe those times are situations where my mind is engaged elsewhere and not in a position to basically tell you which color the button needs to be and what needs to go on top of it. Maybe they should just to make a call, and if it is wrong, we’ll change it.

They would come with an initial estimate which looks all good, suits my pocket, and seems fair enough, but the discussions then evolved in a way that it looks like they find a basis where they can actually add more billable timing to the timesheet. It appeared a few times, but then because it’s a thing of the past, I let it go. They have this tendency of asking a lot of questions, and based on those questions, they tend to come up with a rationale that this will cost a little more time, which is how they rationalize their billable hours. If I have anything against it, I could straight sort it out with them, but all in all, they’re fair. It’s not that they do something behind you.

Overall Score Overall, I’ve been quite satisfied with our progress from where I was late last year to where I am right now. I’m in a very good position, and they have been instrumental in a major chunk of the development work.
    I don’t think their initial scoping of time is as good, but that’s my personal view. They will talk to you and get things in front of you, and they rationalize where they’re actually spending their time. Because it doesn’t suit my pocket, I’m giving a 4.
    There have been a few instances where timely deliver didn’t happen. All the times where such a situation was arising, they kept me in the loop. It wasn’t that it was a surprise, but on my side, frustration was running high.
    I’ll refer them to anyone. They’re very professional.