We design mobile and web applications

Recent Work is a design studio helping companies build or improve their digital experiences. Specializes in UX & UI with focus on mobile and web apps.

Zagreb, Croatia

Optimalprint, Vollo.net, PaperKarma, TedX Bruxelles

User Research & UI/UX App Redesign for Technology Company

"We were left with a clean, intuitive product with—what I consider to be—a beautiful, clean, modern design."

July - Sept. 2017

Recent Work redesigned an Android and iOS app to improve its UX and bring it up to current standards. They created a unified design using InVision and then transformed it into a functional prototype.

Denver, Colorado
Jeffrey Treichel
CEO, PaperKarma

Paid subscribers have doubled and the app ranks much better than it did before the redesign. Recent Work shaped their communication style to conform to shifting project requirements and worked to see things from an end-user perspective. This point of view helped them craft an intuitive solution.

I’m the CEO of PaperKarma, a mobile application that helps people unsubscribe from postal junk mail.

What challenge were you trying to address with Recent Work?

After I required the rights to the app— it was functional but very buggy—I had an independent developer look into revamping the technology. We learned that we needed to totally rebuild of the app's frontend, which was based on 2012 iOS design standards. We wanted to revamp the UX, have a more seamless flow, and make it faster and easier to use.

They did research on the current app and came up with new InVision sketch-boards, which we used to develop a prototype to beta test. We spent four to six weeks coming up with a unified design for Android and iOS. It was a pretty simple application—maybe 40 screens in total.

We worked two designers and one other resource.

How did you come to work with Recent Work?

I was familiar with one of Recent Work’s lead designers from working together at several companies in the past. He’s a famous European designer that worked with Rosetta Stone, so I was thrilled to have someone of his caliber on board. My developer also recommended him so we fast-tracked the consideration process.

We spent between $5,000–$6,000.

We worked together from July until September 2017.

The app’s rating in the app store has increased significantly since the redesign. We’ve double our number of subscribers, and, since they’re paying subscribers, revenue has doubled on a run-rate basis. We’re still growing now.

How did Recent Work perform from a project management standpoint?

We used email and Google Hangouts to communicate, plus InVision boards where we could comment on and edit designs. Frequency wise, we had different cadences at different times. During the research component in the beginning, we were talking every day or every other day, and they were very accessible.

As we moved into design and iterations, I would get weekly updates where we’d go through what had been accomplished. After week four, when we’d nailed down the basic design, they started talking to our developer about how to implement their designs. They talked directly and I was briefed once or twice during the two-week period.

They’re spot on in terms of creating clear, clean designs that are dead simple to understand, from an end-user perspective. There’s a lot of clutter and feature creep nowadays, but they took the time to understand potential pain points. They got their hands dirty and learned how to simplify the app, getting rid of as many clicks as possible. We were left with a clean, intuitive product with—what I consider to be—a beautiful, clean, modern design.

I’m maybe a little disappointed that they’re so selective with what they work on. I’ve asked for additional work that was somewhat outside the scope—helping create visual designs for Pitch Decks and PowerPoints—but it’s really not in their wheelhouse.

I would just tell you to hire them.

They’re very proactive. They would turnaround iterations a day or two before the deadline consistently.
    The cost per hour is very much in live and favorable compared to other agencies. They took on slight scope creep without fuss too.
    I'm very happy with what they came up with, but I always think there's room for improvement. I’m extremely satisfied.
    I already have, and I’m already using them for another project.