A mobile-focused product agency

Prolific is a mobile-focused product agency based in Brooklyn and San Francisco. Through a strategy-driven, user-centric approach to creating products, Prolific delivers mobile experiences and strategies for leading brands including SoulCycle, American Express, Saks Fifth Avenue, Sephora, Scotts Miracle-Gro, David's Bridal, Alex and Ani, and Lilly Pulitzer.

Founded in 2009, Prolific has been recognized as one of Inc. 500’s Fastest Growing Private Companies of 2016, one of Crain's New York's “50 Fastest Growing Companies” and "Best Places to Work”, and also one of Ad Age's "Best Places to Work."

$50,000

• Old Navy
  • Athleta
  • Banana Republic

SoulCycle Case Study

This video is a case study about our partnership with SoulCycle to create their iOS app. It provides insight into how our team embeds themselves into our partners brands and how valuable user research is in our process.

Baublebar Case Study

Prolific partnered with Baublebar, an up-and-coming fashion ecommerce brand, to lead their mobile development. This case study provides insight into how we partner with brands and how closely we work together.

Retail App Development For Abercrombie & Fitch

"Prolific Interactive is mobile first and mobile only, they had lots of vision in areas that we didn’t know about. We were just trying to figure out what the mobile space should look like."

1,000,000 - 9,999,999

The client is Abercrombie & Fitch, a large clothing retailer. This client was in need of a partner that could help their company towards a mobile first approach. The client considered agencies within the US and offshore, but due to Prolific Interactive's experience in the retail industry, this client felt that they were the best team for the project requirements.

Columbus, OH
Former Mobile Lead, Abercrombie & Fitch

The client is extremely satisfied with their overall app development partnership with Prolific Interactive. This client successfully completed multiple retail-focused apps with Prolific Interactive, and highly recommends them for their effort to understand the client's brand.

I worked for Abercrombie & Fitch in Columbus, Ohio.

I was the Mobile Practice Lead on the team that was building mobile applications for A&F.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Prolific Interactive?

In working with other web and digital marketing agencies, we couldn’t find any with enough resources to help us be a mobile first company. That’s when we started looking for different partnerships. We found Prolific to be one of the leading agencies in the mobile retail domain.

We wanted to shift to a mobile first design, meaning that we wanted to revamp all our mobile applications with them.

How did you come to work with Prolific Interactive?

We were considering seven or eight different agencies including large, small, mid-size, US based, and offshore based companies. The reason we chose Prolific was because we realized that they offered exactly what we were looking for. They were a perfect cultural fit with us. One thing that we learned in the past from choosing different agencies is that people from the outside don’t always blend well with A&F because we have a very specific culture. That was one of the main reasons that they were a good fit for us besides their engineering capabilities.

It cost probably over a million dollars.

Our project with them is completed.

The first application they built for us was the Abercrombie & Fitch Android application. Up until then, we only had iOS. Hollister had Android, but not A&F. The iOS and Android apps were not very successful from a performance perspective, according to in-app reviews. I think we had 1.5 stars or 2 stars in all those applications, but once we brought Prolific in, the first application they built immediately had 4.5 or 5 stars. We’ve seen more revenue coming from the Android application than iOS, even though about 85% of our customers are on iOS. Before working with Prolific, everything we built were marketing applications: things that would engage customers with the brand. Then we would hope they would come to the store and purchase things. The app Prolific built was our first e-commerce application. It was the first one that generated any revenue that could really be attributed to the application itself. After that, they implemented a similar platform for iOS, where we saw revenue increases as well. With our Hollister app, they implemented a loyalty program which is more successful than the previous program we had.

How did Prolific Interactive perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really good communicators. We were co-located half of the time because they were in Brooklyn and would have to travel to Ohio, but I was in New York most of the time, so I would meet with them and we’d work together. They were really good with that. They fit in our project management model. We didn’t have to change anything for them. They just changed to fit within our business model.

What distinguishes Prolific Interactive from other providers?

They’re definitely great business partners. One thing that stands out compared to other agencies I’ve worked with is that they spend a few days working in our stores to learn about them, blend with the culture, and understand what our business model is. That was really helpful. I haven’t seen that before. Because Prolific Interactive is mobile first and mobile only, they had lots of vision in areas that we didn’t know about. We were just trying to figure out what the mobile space should look like. I’ve worked with probably 20 different agencies in my lifetime and they were the easiest to work with.

Is there anything Prolific Interactive could have improved or done differently?

Their ability to scale up was not there. If we needed to speed up our process or we needed to build something new, they could not scale up. Another thing is that their model is built around them owning everything, like having their own project manager on the project. They have their engineers. They have their designers. They have their strategists working on a project. It would be hard to create a blended model where you would have your product team only working with their engineering team and their project management. They automatically have their whole team working on a project. That would be another thing I think they could fix.

Overall Score They’re great people. I’ve been more pleased working with them than anyone else.
    It’s the scaling. When deadlines become tight, they have a hard time scaling up.
    They’re quite pricey, but we never had to increase the budget.
    I’ve been recommending them anytime I have a chance to do so.

iOS App Development for Notable Women's Retailer

"I thought the Prolific team was incredibly communicative. I felt like they were understanding of our needs. I thought they over delivered, and it was probably the best vendor experience I've ever had..."

The client is a large and notable women's retailer. The client was working to increase their mobile usership and make it a more profitable channel for their business without cannibalizing their mobile web business. Due to Prolific Interactive's previous experience in retail including lululemon and Abercrombie & Fitch this client felt that they were the best partner for the job.

New York City Metro Area
Former Mobile Supervisor, Women's Retailer

The client is extremely satisfied with their application development partnership with Prolific Interactive. This client saw a significant increase in revenue and traffic coming from mobile. This client highly recommends Prolific Interactive for their understanding of the retail space and highly communicative team.

I worked for a notable women's fashion retail brand.

I was the mobile experience supervisor. I managed the project between my team and Prolific.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Prolific Interactive?

We were having trouble with our conversion rates and traffic on mobile. We wanted to build an app targeted toward our top consumers to increase their overall purchase frequency and average order value and to get them used to purchasing on mobile.

It was available on iOS only. Approximately 95 percent of our customers were coming to us from an iPhone, so we didn't need to have it on Android.

How did you come to work with Prolific Interactive?

We did a comprehensive RFP [request for proposal] and looked across 10 to 12 different vendors. It ended up coming down to Prolific Interactive and GPShopper. There were probably eight people on our team that were part of the selection process. We selected Prolific because we felt like they understood our brand the most. They had worked with other lifestyle brands like lululemon, and we liked some of the other apps they created. We felt like they could offer us a customized app that looked new and different and wasn't just a template like other firms were offering.

It cost upward of $200,000.

The project was completed.

The app totally exceeded our expectations in terms of revenue and of significantly increasing our mobile traffic. Then, when the app launched, within six months, a significant portion of revenue was coming through mobile if you include mobile web and the app. We worried that it was going to cannibalize our mobile web business, but we felt like it increased it. It wasn't taking away from mobile web. It was an additive business.

What distinguishes Prolific Interactive from other providers?

I thought the Prolific team was incredibly communicative. I felt like they were understanding of our needs. I thought they over delivered, and it was probably the best vendor experience I've ever had, I've worked with probably 15 to 20 vendors at this point, and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Is there anything Prolific Interactive could have improved or done differently?

We knew this going in and that created some hesitation in choosing them – back-end technology-wise, they're not as strong some of the others. We had some difficulties integrating APIs [application programming interfaces] and stuff, but that was something that we were responsible for, too. I think that's a challenge that's pretty common. I think they're well aware that it's a weak point for them.

Mobile Application Development Consumer Products Merchandizing Platform

"I really like that they’re all young, and very passionate about mobile tech. They put serious effort into devising  a viable solution."

The client is a platform offering fledgling artists the opportunity to turn their original creations into canvasses for consumer merchandise. The client sought a technology partner to design and develop a custom mobile application for consumer use. Prolific Interactive was one of several potential vendors to receive a statement of work from the client, and they were chosen as the solution partner based on their demonstrated capabilities. Once commissioned, Prolific Interactive became responsible for the conception and deployment of the client's custom mobile app, which required the following services: Discovery and requirements gathering, project scoping, strategic oversight, custom visual design, backend functional development, data preparation and migration, user interface/user experience and performance testing, and ongoing support.

Greater Chicago Area
Director of User Experience

The client conveyed deep appreciation for the work delivered by Prolific Interactive. According to the client, their successfully deployed mobile app was very well received by their end-user. Moreover, the client indicated that they experienced zero go-live issues upon and immediately following the release of their mobile app. Prolific Interactive was praised highly for their technical competence and their flexibility with client requests. The client maintains an ongoing relationship with Prolific Interactive and recommends them to others.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

I work for a company [that is] primarily an online e-commerce shop that retails crowd-source designed T-shirts directly to customers. Anyone in the whole world can submit a design to our website and then the rest of the users on the site can vote for their favorite designs. The winning designs are printed onto the T-shirts and then merchandized to anyone interested. The website functions as an e-commerce platform for artists to sell their designs, but it also functions as an online community for artists to interact and potentially collaborate. All of the contributing artists remain independent, so we feel like it’s a really great vehicle for these fledgling artists to gain more exposure, build their brands and actually monetize their hard work.

I’m the director of user experience and the head of digital marketing.

Could you describe the challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached Prolific Interactive?

Sure, there were a few challenges we were facing when looking for a partner to build a mobile application for us. One of the key challenges was that we didn’t have the appropriate API [application programming interface] required to run the app. More importantly, though, was the fact that we didn’t have the internal development capabilities or resources to remedy the issue ourselves. We needed to find a qualified technology partner to perform the custom development on our behalf, under our direct supervision and guidance.

How did you select Prolific Interactive as your solution partner?

Interestingly enough, I believe it was they who reached out to us first to inquire about our mobile strategy. Our CEO had been familiar with the work they’ve done for another company, so we were very open to meeting their team and hearing what they had to say. During our first meeting, we expressed our difficulties and frustrations with developing a mobile app. We explained that the real issue was the API. Outside of that, we were pretty much ready to go. Two months later, they returned to us with a very elegant and viable solution to our API problem: It worked flawlessly. We were very impressed, so we decided to negotiate the terms of retaining their services for our development and design work. That’s how it all began.

Could you describe the scope of work they’ve delivered over the course of this endeavor?

When we worked with them on the app, they had a group of people working on the API. There were, I believe, two to three developers working on it full-time. They architected some of it, integrated it a little bit with our existing APIs, tested and validated all of the code. In terms of resources, we were allocated a project manager and three iOS developers. It was great. We worked remotely with their team. We’d have remote stand ups at the beginning of each day with their New York team, and we’d go over benchmarks, objectives, and alterations. It was extremely helpful from a project management perspective, and I’m sure it added to the quality and consistency of their work

Could you provide a sense of the size of these initiatives in monetary terms?

That information is confidential. Our work has been extensive, to say the least.

How long has this partnership remained ongoing?

We started working officially, I believe, in September of 2013.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

Yes, absolutely. First of all, I want to say they did a fantastic job of building both apps. The app was a pretty straightforward deployment, and I really liked the way that they would offer their unique ideas. They’d offer alternative solutions to us and provide strategic recommendations. That’s been one of the most valuable aspects to them.

In terms of impact, we’ve also been very satisfied. We have close to 100,000 downloads at this point. It’s been very well received by primary our customer base. We’ve also been able to attract new users from other devices, which is great. I can’t share exact figures, but it continues to grow, which we’re thrilled about. There have been virtually no issues with the application. We’re hoping to continue building on it as we move forward. This app was our first foray into e-commerce with a mobile platform. I’d say that overall, it’s been a very positive experience for us.

When working with Prolific Interactive, is there anything you’d consider unique about their strategic approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

I’ve been fortunate enough to work for and with many different types of creative agencies on the digital side. I really like that they’re all young and very passionate about mobile technology. They really put the effort into devising and developing a viable solution. Even if it takes a little than initially expected, they’re OK with that, because they know it’s about having the right solution, not necessarily the fastest. They’re also very well versed in the latest and greatest technologies, approaches and solutions. It’s clear to us that they place a lot of emphasis on professional development.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

That’s a good question. I’m typically not good at answering these. I can’t really offer much in the way of constructive criticism. Our experience has been entirely positive with them.