Custom Shopify Design + Development

Our team specializes in building stunning commerce experiences, and we do it exceptionally well. We are a design first company that doesn’t deal in mediocrity. You can trust that we know what we’re doing and that our team is as dedicated to your project as you are. At Pointer, you will receive a full service experience.

As long time Shopify Partners, and exclusive Shopify Plus Solution Partners, we can navigate the platform in our sleep. This means no matter how large a project you throw at us, we’ll make it happen. Whether you’re migrating from another platform or starting from scratch, you can trust our team to bring your ideas to life.

Our office is located in the heart of Ottawa’s Byward Market, just a few minutes away from Shopify HQ, a place we frequent all too often.

Design

Ottawa, Canada
  • 62 York St.
    Ottawa, ON K1N 5T1

Shopify Design & Development for Beverage Company

"The talent level of Pointer’s engineers is much higher than other agencies."

June - Aug. 2019

Pointer designed and developed a Shopify website for a beverage company. Key features included custom checkout functionality to integrate with a texting platform, as well as AR capability.

Nik Sharma
Consultant, Cha Cha Matcha

The new site, lauded internally and externally, has markedly increased conversion rates since the engagement began. Pointer kept the project moving and on budget with constant communication. Their understanding of digital technologies helped them beat deadlines and respond quickly to any inquiries.

I’m a consultant for Cha Cha Matcha.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

My responsibility is to build out Cha Cha Matcha’s direct to consumer platform. I needed to get them to a point where they have an actual B2C business, and the biggest piece of that was building out a new website.

Pointer did all the design and development work for the new website. Cha Cha Matcha had an existing site but the founders wanted to go in a completely new direction. Pointer’s team came up with design concepts and pitched them to us.

Once we selected the designs that we liked, they developed a Shopify site. Pointer custom built the checkout function because Cha Cha Matcha is also launching a texting platform. They built the custom checkout with ReCharge. They used Yotpo for reviews, referrals, and the loyalty program. They also used Shopify's new augmented reality toolkit and its 3D models.

We worked with a total of 6–7 people. We had two main points of contact who we talked to on a daily basis. If they were presenting designs, then their Head of Design became the project leader during that period of time.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

I asked one of my contacts for a referral. He suggested Pointer could do it for our price range I was looking at. We did an RFP of 7–10 web agencies though and found that Pointer was the best option.

We spent between $80,000–$100,000.

The project took place from June–August 2019.

We've had insanely positive feedback. Customers love how different the site is. Quantitatively, it's doing phenomenally in terms of conversion rate since launch. Anecdotally, the founders in my network have all asked for an introduction to Pointer after seeing the new site.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

I’d give Pointer the highest rating for project management. I was always up to date because they were really good communicators. They used Notion as the main project management platform and Figma to preview designs. We also used email, phone, and text.

The talent level of Pointer’s engineers is much higher than other agencies. They’re able to so much more on their Shopify sites. Whether it's a unique design squiggle in the middle of the page or the custom checkout, they do what other agencies can't.

In addition, their employees are so invested in the brands they work with. That plays a huge role in their success. Most agencies have 4–5 clients per employee. Pointer has less, so their employees are more engaged.

Honestly, the only thing I would say is I wish they flew down here from Canada for in-person meetings.

Have everything ready before you go to Pointer. They work extremely fast. You have to be willing to work just as fast, otherwise you're wasting their time and yours.

They finished the site in weeks when it should have taken 6 months.
    I know what sites cost, and this site could have easily been $250,000.
    They’re extremely talented with both the design and development.
    They're now my go-to for referrals because it makes me look good.

Branded Website for Book Launch

In terms of their comprehensive capabilities, Pointer is phenomenal.”

Dec. 2018 - Jan. 2019

Pointer developed a Shopify website for an Amazon best-seller. Working off of just a few pictures, they took the product all the way from wireframes to a completed e-commerce site.

Adrian Salamunovic
Co-Author, FREE PR Book

The team delivered a polished product that’s on-brand, functional, and technically flawless. They required no micromanagement and excelled at making smart design decisions. Communicative and independent, they provided seamless project management and proved to be an outstanding partner.

I own a consultancy that produces e-courses for in-house PR training.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

My and my partner recently published a best-selling Amazon book, and we hired Pointer to create a website for it.

I provided Pointer with the cover of the book, as well as a couple of photographs of myself and the co-author. While I would normally be more involved in the design process, I was able to take a hands-off approach because Pointer really optimized best practices. After creating wireframes, the team built the static Shopify site from scratch.

There was a team of 3—I worked directly with Chris (Founder & CEO, Pointer) who managed a designer and a developer.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

Pointer came recommended by Shopify. The COO of Shopify had told me about Pointer because both businesses are based in Ottawa.

I spent a total of $30,000.

We began working together in November of 2018, and we went live in January of the next year.

Everybody loved the site because it was on-brand, functional, and user-friendly. We’ve heard that it’s one of the better—or best—book sites out there. While book sites tend to be more bland, our site came out super polished.

The team especially excelled at filling in all the gaps without having to be micromanaged. Even though we didn’t give them many materials, they took the few pictures we had and expanded upon them to create a unique look and feel. Overall, they did a fantastic job.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management was seamless. Everything came out perfect, and I didn’t notice anything going wrong. Pointer really handled the burden of detail and made smart design decisions. While we touched base here and there, they truly did all the heavy lifting.

I really appreciated how many channels they were accessible through. We communicated on Slack, text, and e-mail. They were very accommodating about that.

I was blown away by their ability to create sites that are on-brand, functional, and technically flawless, all at once. Often times, you’ll see shops that are great in only one aspect. In terms of their comprehensive capabilities, Pointer is phenomenal.

They should expand their team so that they can deliver their excellent services to even more clients. Other than that, I really can’t think of anything.

Although this goes for working with any agency, come to them prepared. Be ready to answer their questions, and to help them understand your target market and persona. They can only do as good a job as the information you provide them with.

E-Commerce Updates & Solutions for Online Clothing Store

"The clarity they bring to every project is impressive and their response time is phenomenal."

Mar. 2019 - Ongoing

Pointer provides ongoing support across a variety of design and development projects. Initially, they fixed a broken search and filter program, and now provide design solutions and implement new features.

Greenville, South Carolina
Bess Welch
Senior E-Commerce Manager, Southern Tide

The work has continually satisfied expectations. Pointer’s solutions and design work have improved the UX, enabling customers to purchase items without errors. Their team has proven capable of handling a myriad of projects and deadlines, delivering quality work each time.

I’m the senior e-commerce manager for Southern Tide. We’re a lifestyle brand selling men’s, women’s and kid’s clothing along with home products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

When we initially hired Pointer to help fix a search and filter program that wasn’t functioning properly. From there, we’ve taken them on for support with more projects.

Pointer has done a variety of projects for us. First, they fixed the search and filter program, working in Nextopia. Once they finished, we were impressed with their work and started extending more projects to them. Throughout the tasks, they’ve done a lot of design work for us and backend fixes. Their team has implemented new pages on our site, created promotions, cleaned up h1 and h2 tags, and solved 404 errors.

We work with Mack (Director of E-Commerce, Pointer) and Samantha (Account Manager, Pointer), who we now send all the work to and serves as our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

Pointer came recommended along with another company, but I chose them for a number of reasons. They were the most efficient in explaining their process and the different changes they’d need to make. Their team also communicated well and set up a call beforehand to fully understand our needs. We had a very fruitful conversation and I felt comfortable moving forward with them. Additionally, their pricing is phenomenal and they gave us realistic estimates for how long a job would take to complete.

So far, we’ve spent between $15,000–$20,000, but we anticipate spending over $25,000 by the end of the year.

We’ve had an ongoing relationship since March 2019.

They’ve had a definite impact on our company. Our site is now easier to find and read on Google thanks to the improved backend functionality. One of the big problems we were experiencing was our site was automatically switching the colors or sizes of customer’s orders, but Pointer was able to alleviate this issue. Users can now check-out and their order reflects what they wanted. Additionally, the site is now more visually appealing, which users have commented on.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

Pointer has managed the project very well. For each project, I typically fill out a statement of work (SoW), email it to Samantha, and then we have a call if it needs to be further explained. From there, it’s placed in Asana and we can give feedback back and forth.

I like it because we can communicate clearly, know exactly what we need, and everyone can access it. We get notifications when there are questions and everything is easy to solve on the spot. I’m able to email and they respond quickly.

The clarity they bring to every project is impressive and their response time is phenomenal. They’re also honest about the work they can complete, letting us know if they can squeeze it in or if it’s not possible. I really enjoy that they set my expectations accurately and clearly communicate.

Honestly, there is nothing I can think of.

Just be clear in communicating what you’re looking for and the process will go quickly. As long as they know what you’re expecting, more often than not they’ll deliver that.

Overall Score It has been great to trust a company with a site we hold near and dear to us, I'm never worried about anything breaking.
    They've been clear in scheduling, so I know when to expect pieces. I can always as for things sooner, too.
    They're so affordable, I really appreciate that they haven't raised their prices.
    They've yet to be late and always communicate if there is a problem.
    I recently referred them to four companies at a conference.

Shopify Replatform for International Nonprofit

"They are incredibly well-versed in the world of Shopify."

Jan. - July 2019

Pointer modernized a website for a nonprofit that wanted to create a visually appealing, user-friendly site. The team migrated the site to Shopify and created a custom app with additional functionalities.

Ottawa, Canada
Direct Response Marketer, Nonprofit Organization

While the e-commerce shop is still in a soft-launch phase, it's expected to decrease operating costs, cart abandonment rate, and customer troubleshoot inquiries. Pointer provided a high-level of expertise at an affordable price, managing the client relationship effectively.

We are a non-profit organization working in international development. My role is direct response marketing/fundraising.

For what projects/services did your company hire Pointer?

We were looking to migrate and re-platform an existing e-commerce site onto Shopify.

Our existing site was custom-built back in the mid-2000s with no revamps since. Our main priority was modernization, creating a beautiful user-friendly site that left customers with a good experience. We also wanted a turn-key product that was easy to use internally and required little coding skill for small edits to the shop.

I had seen them listed as a Shopify partner and locally in Ottawa they are well known in the Shopify/digital marketing community. Because of the complexity of functionalities we required - from custom apps to CRM integration, we needed an agency that had a proven track record. We had reviewed three other agencies however lacked the experience we were looking for.

They migrated in an existing site mock-up onto Shopify and built a custom app for a functionality we required.

The main contact was with an account manager, but the lead designed looped in every once in a while.

While we are still in the soft-launch phase of our e-commerce shop, I anticipate it will decrease operating costs, decrease cart abandonment rate and lower customer troubleshoot inquires.

I can't speak to their project management processes now, but at the time, it was all done via email on the client-side which made it hard to keep track of any pending updates or tasks that had yet to be completed. However, they were quick to follow up to any outstanding tasks.

They are incredibly well-versed in the world of Shopify. The account manager we had worked with was super responsive and the turnaround time for completing tasks was very quick. The whole process was painless and no major setbacks had occurred. While we did go over the anticipated project timeline, they were accommodating and completed what needed to get done in the project scope. Their pricing is also reasonable for the quality of work they deliver and their management of client relationships. The project costs had also exceeded the amount we had budgeted for this project but they had decided to take on the project. It was great to see an agency get involved in a charitable cause and that cared about having a positive impact in their own company’s mission and values.

I think the discovery phase could have been conducted more thoroughly as there were a couple of key pieces we realized we had miscommunicated on and came up halfway through the project. A better method of project management to compile all the feedback and stay on track and organized would have been great as well. I think internally they also need to do more testing before presenting the product back to the client.  All that to say, incredibly satisfied overall. Working with Pointer has been an amazing experience and would have done nothing differently!

I think they could have improved on testing on their side before presenting it back to the client, but incredibly happy with the final results.

New E-commerce Site for Vitamin Seller

“We were pleased with everything they delivered, and their work was very polished.”

Nov. 2018 - Feb. 2019

Pointer added new functionality and updated design features for a nutrition and wellness company. Working from inspiration sheets, they did all the wireframing and production.

Denver, Colorado
Brand Manager, Vitamin Manufacturer

The site now serves the brand much more effectively, and the new functionalities highlight product features and benefits. Pointer was organized and responsive, and all their work was built well. They never exceeded projected hours, and they always stayed true to expectations.

I'm the brand manager at a vitamin company. I oversee the strategy and execution of our product marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

Our existing website needed to be updated. We wanted to ramp up sales and engagement in that channel. Our old website lacked a lot of functionality, and we wanted to add a subscription order feature, as well as improve the design.

They built a new theme for us from scratch. The website is still on the same platform, so there was no migration, but they created a lot of functionality from the ground up. We sent them inspiration sheets and features we wanted to include, then they did all the wireframes and production.

We had a project manager, a client services lead, and a designer that we interacted with directly. I assume there was a host of engineers, developers, and designers who worked behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

I found them based on the previous work they did on a Shopify partner platform. The combination of price point and the way they organized and managed information seemed like a good option for us. Their portfolio looked nice, and they had a good understanding of our needs from the beginning.

We spent between $10,000-$25,000.

We started working together around October or November 2018. The project concluded in February 2019.

The site is much better for us from a marketing perspective. It's a great looking site with great functionality, and it really highlights our product features and benefits. We haven't completed the launch fully, but we expect the e-commerce channel will ultimately be our best or second-best revenue stream.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very detailed and organized. They logged and summarized all our correspondence and conversations, and they sent us regular breakdowns of what needed to be completed and where they were in the process. Most of our communication was through email and phone, which was effective for us.

They produced really solid work. Their communication was good, and they understood our ideas. Even their mockups and drafts of layouts and formats were well made, and we never needed to increase the hours spent. They were easy to work with, and they stayed true to our expectations. We were pleased with everything they delivered, and their work was very polished.

Their prices were a little higher than other agencies, but the quality they provided made their costs fair.

Make sure to give them feedback and comments within the allotted time. If you dedicate the time you need for reviews on your side, you will have a successful collaboration.

Website Redesign & Dev for Sport E-Commerce Store

“They were a perfect fit for us, and they created visual assets to attract a trendy, young audience.”

Feb. 2018 - Apr. 2019

Pointer fully redesigned and optimized the UX for a sporting goods platform. They helped shift the store from Magento to Shopify Plus, providing many design options and implementing and updating functionalities.

Montreal, Canada
Max Fortin
VP E-commerce & Digital Marketing, Empire Sports Inc.

The new site launched recently but already shows promise. Traffic conversions are faster, and site navigation is greatly improved. Pointer was responsive, and their project management surpasses that of other companies.

I'm the VP of digital marketing and e-commerce for Empire Sports, a skateboard, snowboard, and streetwear store from Montreal, Quebec.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

We were moving our platform from Magento to Shopify Plus. We wanted to redesign the frontend of our e-commerce store, and we needed help to improve the UX for our customers. We interviewed a few companies and chose Pointer.

They did a lot of development work for us to complete certain functionalities for us. We needed an in-store pickup option, a brick and mortar store finder, and a better internal search engine. We provided documentation to support their design work. All our logos and our visual identity were already set, but they pitched several design ideas. We really liked what they did.

We had a team of between five and ten, led by one main point of contact. He was one of the best project managers I've worked with. Their communication was excellent, and I only interacted with one or two of their team members throughout the project.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

We found through our Shopify launch manager. They worked on similar projects in the past, so we drove to their office to meet with them. They were a perfect fit for us.

Our total cost for the project fell between $50,000 and $200,000 USD.

The project began in February 2018 and the site launched in early April 2019. The first part of the project is complete and works perfectly. We're currently working on updates for the second version.

We just launched the site, but we can already see how it will help our company grow. All the aspects we wanted to work on are complete. The checkout process is optimized, and the whole UX design is completely fresh. Traffic conversion is faster, and everything is easier to find. It will take time to have clearer statistics, but the site will definitely help us.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

We mainly work by email and phone and spoke at least twice a week. Any time we had questions, we could contact our project manager and expect a clear answer that same day. We use Asana now but used another app previously to track changes.

We were looking for people who understood our market. They were a perfect fit for us, and they created visual assets to attract a trendy, young audience.

Our first language is French, which they handled well. If they work with other clients from Quebec, they should take the bilingual aspect of similar websites a little more seriously.

I don’t have any advice per se, but they took the project and guided us through the process. I think they would work well with any company similar to ours.

They always got back to me quickly.
    Their costs fell in the middle of the companies we considered, and the price was fair.
    They delivered on time, and did well overall.
    I would not hesitate to refer them to anyone who needs a Shopify expert.

Web Design for Beverage Company

“Their thoroughness and the attention to detail are excellent.”

Jan. - March 2019

Pointer provided website design and development services, building a new site completely from scratch.

Thomas Walker
Director, Metta Beverage Corp

The new website receives excellent feedback and many compliments from its users who are rediscovering the company thanks to the improved online presence. The team was efficient and professional throughout, offering excellent additional details to make the site unique.

We’re a beverage company that creates natural alternatives to energy drinks. I’m a co-founder, mostly sitting in the CMO role.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

We have an innovative product, so we were looking to have a way to educate people as they interact with it. The website is often the first point of contact for people, so we wanted it to get our brand message across and include educational elements.

They did everything around the design and the implementation of the website. I came to them with what I was looking for and the general things I needed, then they did the rest. It was a collaborative process. We had a previous site, but this was a new build from the ground up.

I had direct contact with about four people.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

I was looking for a website upgrade for a while, looking through the Shopify Experts Directory and other websites to find freelancers. We tried several options, but then I saw a website by Pointer that I really loved on the Experts page. It was the most expensive option, but it was quite nice, so instead of wasting money on cheaper ones, we decided to go with.

We spent $30,000.

I reached out to them in October 2018, but the work took place January–March 2019.

The best metrics are the positive feedback we received and the high number of compliments. Customers regularly rediscover our webpage and are impressed by it.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very efficient when it comes to project management. We communicate through email and had 3–4 feedback calls during the design process, each referring to a particular presentation.

Their thoroughness and the attention to detail are excellent. They’re very good at the little things that make your website stand out.

They’re a bit rigid in their project management processes, so sometimes it felt like I was not in control of the process, even though theoretically I am as the client. They try to stick to a timeline for both of our benefit, but if I wanted to change something, there was a lot of resistance.

No, I can't name anything specific.

Overall Score It was a very nice process compared to most communication processes.
    They hit every deadline and they were actually ahead on one, but I asked to be moved up.
    They are expensive, but worth it.
    They delivered a well-working, great and beautiful website.
    I have already recommended them to a few people.

Branding & Web Redesign for Engineering Company

"With minimal direction, the designs Pointer created were very close to what we were looking for."

May 2018 - Aug. 2018

Pointer coordinated a brand refresh for an engineering company. Deliverables included a redesigned logo and an updated Shopify website that allows for easy edits and includes added shopping cart features.

Toronto, Canada
Brennan Foo
VP & Head of Growth, Mosaic Manufacturing

Pointer’s efforts facilitated the successful launch of a new product that experienced unprecedented sales. The team remains mindful of project deadlines and strives to deliver practical solutions. Their robust creative abilities shine through in their work, making them a valuable partner.

I am the vice president and head of growth at Mosaic Manufacturing. Our organization manufactures 3D printing hardware that upgrades 3D printers to print in multiple colors and materials.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

We engaged Pointer to help us refresh our brand and have it coincide with the release of a new product.

Our first objective was to find a new logo. We felt that our existing logo was too complicated and too corporate. We didn’t like the colors or the logo’s use of space. However, we asked Pointer to maintain a specific shape from the logo, and they presented multiple designs that incorporated that figure. Pointer also guided us through the selection of a new font to pair with the logo.

Our other primary goal was to redesign our website. We contributed all of the copy, but Pointer was involved everywhere else. They made suggestions regarding where specific content should be located, and they created other assets that would be valuable on the website, as well. We operate a Shopify website, and Pointer implemented a function that upsells customers once they add items to their cart. Pointer provided other branding elements, but the logo and the website work stand out as the most prominent.

We worked primarily with Ryan (Director of Design, Pointer), Becky (Web Developer, Pointer), and Matt (Account Manager, Pointer), but there were other members of their team behind the scenes.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

We learned of Pointer while scanning lists of Shopify-certified vendors. We selected them because we wanted a company with a good reputation. They were highly rated and had experience with other cool projects. We liked the quality of the assets they could produce.

We spent about $30,000.

We worked together from May–August 2018.

Our sales of this new product far exceeded our goals, a result I think is safe to attribute in part to this new website. We hit close to 60% of our annual target in the first week after launch. We had a wildly successful launch, and the months since then have been similarly promising.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

It can be expected of firms of this caliber to have clear processes, and that’s what we experienced with them. They detailed an iterative design process followed by a development stage. We shared and discussed materials through emails, phone calls, and video calls with shared screens. We had a fixed date for the launch of our product, and Pointer made every effort to complete our projects before that deadline.

We have a lot of picky and design-oriented people at Mosaic Manufacturing, but we were all very impressed by Pointer’s design skills. With minimal direction, the designs Pointer created were very close to what we were looking for.

We also prioritized the ability for us to make edits to the site without their help in the future. We were grateful that Pointer made the website easily accessible for those of us that are not privy to all of the technical elements.

Pointer turned out to be a more expensive option than other firms we reviewed, but given the experience we had with them, it was all worth it. Knowing what we know now, I think we’d choose them again.

To be successful with Pointer, future clients will have to be decisive and thoughtful when they give feedback. Pointer is wont to present a lot of ideas, but if clients do not give them proper feedback or direction, it doesn’t set Pointer up for success.

They made every effort to meet our deadlines.
    Because we’ve been so successful, Pointer is definitely worth the price tag.
    We’re very happy with the website and all other deliverables.
    I would absolutely recommend them.

Shopify Plus Dev & Branding for Self Care Shop

“They’re committed to excellence and hold themselves to a high standard.”

Aug. - Nov. 2018

Pointer rebuilt an existing e-commerce platform using Shopify Plus. Their team also led a rebranding effort by developing marketing materials. They created new packaging designs for nearly 60 products.

Stephanie Morimoto
Owner, Asutra

Pointer delivered an exceptional website that accurately communicates a distinct brand identity. They designed an intuitive UI/UX that inspires users to engage with new products. A talented team of professionals helped improve the platform’s conversion rate exponentially. They’re valuable partners.

I’m the owner and CEO of Asutra. We offer over 50 natural health and wellness products to help active people care for themselves the way they want.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

We purchased Asutra from its founders. While they did a great job of creating a line of products that people love, they didn’t spend enough resources on the company’s branding. Therefore, we invested in consumer research and strategy to update the brand. We were looking for a creative agency who could work with us to bring that brand identity to life through a redesign and replatforming of our e-commerce website.

Pointer loved the idea of working with us to redesign our brand’s identity from the ground up. Their team worked with us all the way through finalizing marketing deliverables, designing the platform’s UI/UX, and translating those elements into the new site. They started by giving us three different options regarding creative direction. We chose one and worked to refine it further. They quickly understood what consumers valued about our brand. Their efforts included everything from changing our logo, implementing a new color palette, and adjusting our photography. They eventually redesigned the packaging for nearly 60 product SKUs.

Pointer worked to bring the brand to life, not just through visual cues, but also by contributing to our brand voice. To achieve that goal, they came up with new product names, a packaging design system, and copy for the site that reflects our company values. They replatformed our e-commerce site over to Shopify Plus. That process involved building out the site’s backend and implemented its UI/UX.

They highlighted the ingredients in all of our products by creating a separate ingredients page. That page includes beautiful photos of our ingredients and a pop-up window that describes the benefits of each one. There’s also a search functionality that enables customers to shop for products by scent. Now that the new website has launched, they’re working on integrating minor improvements and additional features.

I’ve worked with Chris (CEO, Pointer), Mack (Director of Commerce, Pointer), Ryan (Director of Design, Pointer), Samantha (Designer, Pointer), Amber (Design Lead, Pointer), and two technical resources.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

I asked an experienced colleague for references. They recommended Pointer and two other firms. We chose Pointer due to their overall excitement about the project and our brand’s potential.

We started working together in August 2018. The website launched in November 2018, but our engagement with them is ongoing.

Our previous site before was terrible, so the results of the rebuild are shocking. Everyone who sees our site finds the new design gorgeous. It’s bright, bold, and precisely what we needed. In just two weeks after launch, we’ve already seen an 80% increase in our conversion rate. They’ve helped us immensely.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

They document everything. Before Pointer submitted a proposal, I had a few in-depth conversations with their team to make sure they covered our needs. I’d then have a more detailed discussion with Mack to scope out the remaining technical aspects. They priced everything out according to the final scope document they sent to me.

They created a project plan using a platform called Monday. There, they listed the 60 or so SKUs that needed to be redesigned. We also used that platform to communicate specific copy, the UPC code, and label dimensions. That allowed us to see the status of everything. I was surprised and impressed by their efficiency.

Once we had all the assets ready to upload, their development team got everything up and running within 7–10 days. Their QA resources made sure the site functioned well shortly after launch. Since then, we’ve kept a running list of aspects that need to be adjusted or tweaked. Almost every day for the last two weeks, we’ve been going back and forth with them to check things off the list until we’re done.

I hired Pointer because they’re results-oriented. They’re problem-solvers that know their craft. They always come with actionable solutions versus relying on me to tell them exactly what to do. They’ve strived to design a beautiful site for us that works to grow our business. Whenever we threw around different ideas, they were forthright in telling us if they’ve seen it have a negative impact on other companies. From a design standpoint, they did a phenomenal job.

They’re committed to excellence and hold themselves to a high standard. Also, they’re just fun to work with. Throughout the process, even though it was a tight timeline, they always maintained a good sense of humor and a ton of integrity.

They agreed to a tight timeline and completed everything as scheduled. It might not always be a good idea to approach projects that way. It’s possible to overcommit.

I’d highly recommend them to anyone.

Shopify Plus Migration for Distributor of Radio-Control Airplanes

“Pointer enjoys what they do and supports their customers.”

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Having migrated an e-commerce platform to Shopify, integrated mobile-responsive functionalities, and optimized page-loading speeds, Pointer is now designing a website counterpart for the European market.

Cary, Illinois
Mark Goetze
Owner, Motion RC

Pointer takes advantage of everything Shopify has to offer in order to create a seamless experience. Since their involvement, mobile traffic has increased by 15% and 98% of user feedback has been positive. Their communication, minimal turnover, and personable approach continue to impress.

I’m the CEO of Motion RC. We manufacture and sell radio-controlled airplanes and helicopters throughout the world. We have logistic centers in The U.S. and Europe, which are our two largest hubs for our products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Pointer?

We were moving from BigCommerce to Shopify. We were also looking to significantly upgrade the look, feel, and usability of the website—specifically regarding mobile. The old website was graphically rich and fairly easy to use, but it lacked any kind of responsive design and was somewhat useless on mobile devices.

They were 100% responsible for transferring our old data (e.g., order history, customer history, products, reviews) into a new suite of tools. We now have the core Shopify platform as well as some of our apps that we use for things like reviews, product selection, FAQS, knowledge bases, etc. They also handled the site refresh and design for mobile and desktop.

We now have a tab set up where we can show related products to customers, including products other customers have purchased. We can integrate reviews and product Q&A. Pointer didn’t create all of these functionalities, but they did put them together in a seamless way. They made it to where there aren’t ridiculous page load times that cause Google penalizations. We’re constantly working to improve this because page speed is crucial for us.

We then entered a month-by-month maintenance agreement with them for basic site fixes and enhancements. Our company made the decision to expand to Europe in early 2017. We needed a new website to accommodate that expansion, so we contracted Pointer again.

The website design is still underway and will be released in 30–45 days. It will be available in five European languages and will have a more Eurocentric theme. It’s a major project because we can’t just copy and paste things from our U.S. site. We have to translate and modify everything in a way to align better with European countries, taxes, and languages.

We believe we’re one of the few companies they’ve done that work with. We’re stretching their resources a bit, but they’re handling everything well. We’re pushing Shopify to its absolute limits because we’re one of the first companies to implement things like instantly-adaptable tax calculations. There’s a bit of a three-way partnership between Shopify, Pointer, and our company. It’s a big project.

We work daily with a project manager and design lead. I don’t email or speak with the senior developer directly, but he is dedicated to our account. I’m not sure who else is on the team.

How did you come to work with Pointer?

They came to us through Shopify. We were looking for a company that was the right size for us because we weren’t large enough for a big-power agency. Budget was also a big factor. We interviewed about four people. It was tough because we had very good options. Pointer came in with a very competitive rate and I really liked their chemistry. We felt that they were a good fit.

They understood the technical challenges and had the creative capability. We liked their physical proximity to Shopify. We felt that they would be knowledgeable if there was something good or bad going on there.

I felt like their CEO understood us when I talked to him. He was also very excited to work with us. We want somebody to appreciate our business and see us as a good fit for them. He knew that we knew exactly what we needed. We’re all former IT people. We came from the tech space and got into e-commerce, which requires a certain partner. Some partners don’t like that because we know too much, while others love it because it makes things more efficient. We get right to the point.

We’ve spent between $60,000–$80,000.

We’ve been working together since January 2016.

Most of the functionalities they’ve enabled are astounding. We’re known in the Shopify circle as having one of the most complex websites. This isn’t due to the number of products, but more because we’ve really pushed the limits of the Shopify ecosystem.

We transitioned about three years ago and have watched our mobile traffic go from 5% to 20%. This was significant because we’d originally underestimated the mobile traffic.

We put a survey on the front page of our website asking users what they wanted to change about it. We received thousands of replies, and 98% of people said they wouldn’t change a single thing. The other 2% had some interesting input, but overall, no one said the site was difficult to navigate, ugly, etc. I couldn’t get any kind of negative feedback.

Our site has a lot of white space and big graphics. It’s easy to navigate. A lot of our competitors pack a lot of information onto their catalog-like websites, while ours is more minimalistic. We wanted to give people that space. They’ve told us that it’s easy to use and look around on. Our business was founded on customer service and we take it very seriously. Many customers comment on our fast shipping and tell us that we are awesome to do business with. It’s all been pretty positive.

How did Pointer perform from a project management standpoint?

They do fairly well. It’s dramatically different from what we’ve experienced in the past. It’s nice when you finally find a company that has internal processes around project management, as well as a tech lead and account manager.

We feel like they have the right number of people, but we do sometimes feel that they are too busy. It’s good for them, but not always good for us. I sometimes have to send a second email to get an ETA. Pointer isn’t 100% perfect, but neither is any other vendor I work with. They’re like a lot of good vendors who are highly sought after. We know we’re not their only client, but we do sometimes have to send reminders to them.

We do most things via email. We recently put them into our project management system. The project and tech leads are now integrated as contractors. All bug fixes, enhancements, and projects are now included in our project management software suite. They’re getting used to it.

We love that we can put in an enhancement request and have it sent to them via email. It will keep sending it until somebody answers. Everything is in one system now so we’re able to track it with our GanttProject charts. They didn’t have that system, so we told them to use ours. They’ve been good about it.

Once you get a partner who knows the backend and knows your code, it becomes important to maintain that relationship. We’re fortunate that Pointer has been responsive. They remain competitive. They’re fair in terms of rates.

They have a good team with minimal turnover, which is nice. They’re smart and they know their platform. They will tell you when they don’t know something, which is important too.

I also like that the fact that they’ll tell me if Shopify has the information we need since we’re already paying them. Some firms will look at any opportunity to bill you. Pointer enjoys what they do and supports their customers. Everybody I’ve dealt with there has been personable, friendly, and knowledgeable. I recommend them to people all the time. When we find somebody good, we stick with them.

In the old system, I’d send them an email and tell them I found a glitch. They’d log it and it would take a couple weeks to get done. I needed to convey more of a sense of urgency and needed to somehow get in their line of work. That’s been resolved pretty easily with a system that tracks the tasks and provides reminders.

For anybody that doesn’t have an internal tracking and task management system, they may have to follow up with Pointer. There’s not a lot of points of improvement with them. They take on what we need them to do and support us.