We solve problems through design

We are a UX design company that helps organisations build better products and experiences. We work as your extended team, bringing a mix of business strategy, design and technology to the table.

Bengaluru, India

• Team Indus - India's first private space mission<br/>
  • Verloop - YCombinator AI Startup
  • Housejoy - Amazon funded Home Services Company
  • Citrus Payments - Leading Payments Company in India
  • Chai Point - Beverages Chain with 100+ Stores

Food ordering experience that makes you drool

Eatfresh is a food-tech startup based out of Bangalore that delivers hand-made meals from the best chefs in town. As opposed to other e-commerce websites where people only go to shop for food, Eatfresh aimed to make chefs and their creations central to the platform. Every new day would bring a different set of menu items which would appeal to the customers giving them a variety of experiences on offer. The design needed to draw the user’s attention to the beautifully shot imagery of the menu items and to get them through the ordering process as quickly and painlessly as possible.

View case Study

Smart Location based collaboration for Meetups

Zippr is a location management startup, based in Hyderabad, India. Zippr has transformed how locations are referenced, shared and found by replacing the traditionally long address in India with an innovative 8-character digital address format. A variation of this format called DDN (Digital Door Number) is also being implemented by governments across major indian cities.

Enchanting Travels

Powerful travel planning and booking

Enchanting Travels delivers high quality, seamless and tailor-made travel experiences, through destination expertise, personal service, and genuine care. Initiated by two passionate travellers-turned-entrepreneurs, the company has been around for more than a decade, has branches across four continents and has helped more than 30,000 guests travel to 40 exotic countries and have a 98% satisfaction rate. Just their scale of operations points to how process and accountability are key to their work.

Verloop

AI based Live Chat Platform for a Y-Combinator Startup

Branding, interaction design and UI design for a SAAS application that builds chatbots. With a focus on usability heur-istics, we designed an interface that enhances human-machine interactions.

Talentify

Making young India skilled and employable

India is on the verge of an opportunity which if not tackled could turn into a crisis. 64% of India’s population is expected to be in the working age group of 15-59 years by 2026 and India will have the largest English speaking population in the world overtaking United States. Yet, 30% of India’s youth are neither employed nor in education or training. With the government’s big push towards economic reforms and Make in India initiative, the services sector and manufacturing both needs skilled workers.

Sportsie

Designing the experience for a Cricket Prediction Game

Designing a gaming app is a completely different ball game (pardon the pun). Unlike designing experiences for apps or websites where the focus is to make it simple and no-brainer, game design needs a completely opposite approach where you need to pick and choose when to reveal information. The most straightforward approach is not necessarily the best game mechanic.

Boomer App

Building World's Simplest Website Builder

Design Sprints, product strategy and UX UI design for a powerful mobile website builder. Simplifying the process of DIY website building, we created an experience so simple, your grandma could use it.

Team Indus

The story of India's first private space mission

Strategy, UX and web design for a nascent space research company. The inspiring story of overcoming the challenges of a space mission brought to life in a website.

Outsourced UX/UI for Home Management Service

“I appreciated the kind of involvement they had with our product.”

2015 - 2015

Parallel Labs worked in tandem with an internal engineering team to design the UI and UX for a mobile and web-based home service application.

Head of Product Management, Home Management Service

Meeting industry benchmarks and contemporary design principles, the app showed promise of satisfying the end user’s needs during internal testing. Parallel Labs’ proactive approach made them feel like a team extension, but expanding their iOS development abilities would improve their service.

We’re a home service provider for individual users, including cleaning, laundry, appliance repair, and different types of home management. We provide an app through which users can log in, read information about the nature of the work, and book an appointment with a technician or service provider for in-house visits. I was the company’s former head of products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Parallel Labs?

We were a fairly young firm at the time, and like most other startups, our focus was on ensuring that we had a fairly robust engineering team to deal with challenges around technology. We didn’t have any UI/UX people internally.

I did a lot of sketching myself but didn’t have the proper time for it given that we had a lot of organizational obstacles to overcome. We wanted someone who could function as a UI/UX extension of our team, understand our business, and create the user experience we wanted.

The product was mobile-first, but eventually made available on the web as well. Parallel Labs worked on both versions.

I’ve worked for a lot of large organizations’ product management teams in the past, so I gave Parallel Labs clear expectations from this standpoint. We needed to be quite exhaustive in our approach to make sure we went over every available option. We had be current with the latest design principles. We went through three or four concepts when we started and moved on to the rest of the screens only after we narrowed down on a design language.

I mainly interfaced with their founder who solved things internally and ensured completion of everything I requested. There were five or six people on the team, but I didn’t communicate with them directly.

How did you come to work with Parallel Labs?

I researched and talked with a few UX firms that could help us with the task at hand. One studio told us that they wouldn’t be able to deliver by the timelines we were asking for because of prior commitments, but they pointed us to Parallel Labs.

We started working with them in the first quarter of 2015 and the collaboration lasted for 3–4 months. We had an app and a website, so it took some time to finish everything.

I had a fairly good idea of what the industry standards and latest design principles were. What Parallel Labs delivered was in-line with those. They knew what they were doing, and I realized even from our internal testing that end users would benefit from the kind of interface we were designing. The persona- and fast-driven design approach worked well in our case.

How did Parallel Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We didn’t have any problems in this part of the collaboration. I spoke to their founder frequently— sometimes more than once per day—to ensure that things were on track, that we had enough clarity, and that they were aligned with our chosen design approach. They managed to deliver everything we wanted on time.

We had a lot of debates with Parallel Labs, unlike traditional design firms who tend to be overly-agreeable. Their founder and I were both able to present our perspectives on how we should do things. We drew inferences and inspiration from real-life products. It wasn’t a conventional client-provider model, but more like working with an in-house team. I appreciated the kind of involvement they had with our product.

I advised their team, even at the end of our engagement, to invest in their future. We had a team of Android developers when we started out, but no iOS ones. I understand that they’re more of a UI/UX design firm, but having the option to onboard technologists and engineers would’ve allowed us to finish everything without searching for more resources. More often than not, there will be gaps between design and execution when different teams are working on the same project.

We ended up outsourcing the iOS development to another firm, which required some time to make the transfer. I have no feedback specific to their quality of work.

I maximized the potential of the relationship. Anyone exploring Parallel Labs’ services should reach out and see what they can contribute. It’s important to at least hear them out before making a decision.

UX Design Services for Event Management Service

"Parallel Labs’ reliability, strong reasoning, and market insights are all assets."

Dec. 2014 - 2016

Parallel Labs redesigned and simplified the UI/UX components of an event management app. They evaluated messaging, created new layouts, and built a system that would attract and retain users.

Santosh Panda
Founder, Explara

Customers enthusiastically praised the app's more responsive, accessible layout. Parallel Labs built an exceptional product while respecting the company's time and budget. Their transparent communication, combined with their thoughtful and deep knowledge of the industry, earned them high marks.

I am the founder and CEO of Explara, which was founded in 2008 to provide a do-it-yourself event platform for customers around the world, primarily in India and South-East Asia. We also have customers in the U.S., Europe, and around the world. We provide an end-to-end solution that helps event organizers and association managers handle registration management.

What challenge were you trying to address with Parallel Labs?

We had quite a few UX challenges with the startup product. It was okay for the initial 10 customers, but would not work if it were scaled to 1,000 or 10,000. We built it in-house, went to market, and had some success before quickly discovering our limitations. We were not efficient and weren’t thinking creatively about our UX.

The internal team was a little complacent, thinking that their work was perfectly fine, so I got in touch with Parallel Labs. The aim was to impress customers with the platform’s ease of use so that they would come back. We wanted to address acquisition, retention, and general experience all at once.

Businesses use the platform to host events. It has two angles—end-user registration and customer tracking—and most of our issues were on the customer side. There were too many options, too much confusion, and no easy way to navigate the platform. That was when our engagement with Parallel Labs started.

They analyzed the entire process and sketched it out to create a 2.0 version of the product. We gathered user feedback, evaluated our current theme, and made a couple of sketches to gauge whether we could cut down the noise in terms of color, tone, and messaging. They’ve also performed R&D on products that compete with ours and ones that tie in with other industries.

The core parts of any product need to be right. Otherwise, people won’t use it even if it has thousands of features.

We contacted Robin [Founder and Product Designer, Parallel Labs], who was keen on working with us hands-on. We worked with a UI designer, Robin worked on the UX elements, and my team addressed the product and customer side of the story. In between, we also interacted with two or three other team members.

They have their own standard pricing, which is on par with the market. I already know what they can do, but I always benchmark new providers. If the price fits our budget, then we’ll be okay. Other companies would charge us a lot more for the same work, and I would also have had to spend a lot more time establishing a good balance.

I started working with Robin in 2013, while he was with another company. At the time, we were working on UI and branding.

He founded Parallel Labs in 2014. I liked his previous work, so we continued the relationship. The UX engagement officially began in December 2014. Our most recent project was completed in 2017.

From time to time, we ask our customers what they like and don’t like about our platform. The feedback has been very good. Our customers see us as a fast-iterating group that takes their feedback into consideration.

Parallel Labs’ reliability, strong reasoning, and market insights are all assets. They want to do their job well.

After finding a reliable provider, we’ve always referred Parallel Labs to others. I’ve enjoyed their creativity and mindfulness, so I want them to grow and be more successful.

There are certain parts of their business that can improve, so I’ve given them feedback from time to time. I’ve suggested that they start providing web development. Doing the first round of coding would maintain quality.

I’ve also suggested creating reusable components and patterns. That could help Parallel Labs become an authority in this space.

In my experience, work won’t get done when the client fully delegates it.  Delegating the work and expecting it to get done will lead to failure, so clients should engage deeply with the team and build the product together.

We don’t engage anyone who wants us to work for them. Parallel Labs has been driving all our work.
    Value for money is high. I would actually rate them as the best on the market.
    They do fantastic work.
    I’ve recommended them all the time to other startups, whenever I had the opportunity.

UX/UI Tool Design for Traveling Service

"They have an eye for international-level design and workflows which result in supreme user experiences."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Having engaged in a rigorous wireframing process, Parallel Labs is now improving the intuitiveness of a travel platform via UI/UX enhancements in preparation of a market release.

Neha Gupta
Senior Tech Product Manager, Enchanting Travels

The platform’s improved design and simplified workflow have already garnered positive user feedback. Parallel Labs is accommodating to changing needs, willing to undergo multiple design iterations, and open to collaboration in order to ensure a successful end product.

We offer private, flexible and customized trips for travelers across the world to more than 40 destinations across the world, such as Asia, Africa, and South America. I am the Senior Tech Product Manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Parallel Labs?

We have an internal tool that powers our sales team. We built an internal version without much UX and made it functional. With the help of Parallel Lab’s team, we made it more intuitive.

Parallel Labs understands our user personas and comes up with simplified UX. They help code and deliver the UI in HTML and CSS. We also migrated to a frontend framework, Vue.js, and they helped build relevant components.

I work with their founder, Robin, who is amazing at understanding requirements, with a designer who helped create wireframes and visual designs, and with developers who have done a brilliant job of translating those amazing visual designs to front-end components.

How did you come to work with Parallel Labs?

Our CTO shortlisted a few candidates. Through Google Search, we found a few companies in Bangalore. We interviewed a few of them and finally selected Parallel Labs. They were the best in class.

We started working with Parallel Labs 15 months ago and it's going well so far!

There is nothing better than end-user feedback. Our end users love the design.

How did Parallel Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I would give them an 8/10 for project management. We adhere to Agile methodologies, more like chaos because we like super fast development). Parallel Labs has managed to cope with our constantly-changing needs.

There has been some misinterpretation of information as it’s been passed on to the UX designer, HTML person, and developer. We’ve tried to identify the ideal workflow and improve upon it. Overall, I think they’re excellent, but there have been some hiccups. I don’t completely blame them for this, though, because there’s chaos on our side as well. It’s a collaborative effort.

I’ve worked with a few designers in the past and always faced challenges in terms of patience and thought processes. I’ve never faced these kinds of problems with Parallel Labs. They were motivated even after development and during design reviews to undergo further changes and make the work perfect.

They have an eye for international-level design and workflows which result in supreme user experiences. The team is able to understand complex business-use cases and come up with intuitive design solutions. They have an open, collaborative style which is unusual for designers based on my experience. They’re willing to refine the work until I’m happy with it.

They focus on solving clients’ problems. This level of customer service has made it a pleasure to work with their company.

I’ve come across some operational challenges, but I’ve been able to make them understand the scope during the planning and design phases. They got what I was trying to say and have dug deeper when needed. The operational issues are partly on us as well.

Sometimes people have an idea of everything and a set way of solving an issue. If you keep an open mind and trust them, Parallel Labs will be able to solve any problem down the road. This will make the process more collaborative and bring an additional perspective to the workflow and problem.

I would give them a 5 if the product and designs were rolled out by now and if we had feedback from users on efficiency gain.

UX/UI Design for Web Building Platform

“They are an especially good team.”

2014 - Ongoing

Designers created the UX and UI for a mobile application and website built for the purpose of helping small businesses to create their websites and market themselves on social media. The work is ongoing.

Houston, Texas
Arun Gadiraju
Founder, Boomer

In user interviews, people expressed satisfaction with the app and said they found it useful. The team delivers high-quality work, making the value worthwhile for the cost. They impress with the way they stand behind their work and the quality they put into it.

I am the founder of Boomer, which is a mobile software service platform. We help micro businesses create an online presence. Around the world, including in the U.S., many small businesses do not have their own website and find it very difficult to create a website even using Wix or other options. We help them to create their site within a few minutes using our app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Parallel Labs?

We needed help with designing the UX and UI for the mobile app as well as the website.

Our objective was to make it extremely easy for micro and small businesses to create their website. Traditionally, when someone wants to create a website and make modifications, they would need technical help, and every time changes were needed, they would call someone to help them modify it. Just creating a website is not enough. We wanted people to be able to market themselves on social media, so we linked the digital website app together with social media marketing. When I publish an update to my website using the app, I can also publish to social media. Once people find my business through social media, we drive traffic to the website. Once they come to the website, we help them engage with the merchant in real time through a built-in live chat.

Our development team and their designers work together to make decisions.

How did you come to work with Parallel Labs?

I worked with the founder when he worked with another design firm. Since I had worked with him before, I decided to use their services.

We have spent over $100,000.

We began working with them in 2014, and the work is ongoing.

Whenever they implemented their design, they went into the field and conducted user interviews. As a product owner, we have to do our own checks and balances, so we have user interviews as well. People have been finding it useful and let us know what improvements can be made. Overall, the quality of work has been pretty successful.

How did Parallel Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They are an especially good team. They do a very good job, and, at the moment, we don’t work with anyone else. We mostly communicate through InVision, which has all of the designs and allows us to comment in real time. We also have weekly phone calls.

Their founder as well as the rest of the team are very good and differentiate themselves from other teams. Their output is quite global in terms of standards. They are very good when it comes to standing up to their clients if they believe that something is the best user experience; they really stand behind it and quality is very important to them.

Occasionally, whenever there are improvements that need to be made, we discuss it. For example, if we feel there is a slippage in quality, we are upfront about it, and they respond by fixing it.

They do a very good job, which is why you pay top price. They really deliver on the product and in that sense, it is worth it. There are always people who can do the work at a lower cost, but it may not measure at the same level.

Occasionally, there are slight delays from our side or from their side.
    It’s expensive, but it’s worth it. It would be more expensive to have the work done elsewhere.
    They are good but can certainly improve a little bit.

Ecommerce App Dev & UX for Food-tech Startup

“We received positive feedback during user testing.”

Oct. 2015 - 2016

Parallel Labs worked on mobile and website application design and development for an e-commerce startup, focusing on the user experience and interface on the frontend. The app is available on iOS and Android.

Ashrujit Mohanty
Former CTO, Eatfresh

The application was well-received during the period it was live and found to favorably compare to the previous version. The team handled the project scope professionally and worked on various iterations to perfect the app. They communicated well using various tools as well as in-person meetings.

I was the CTO [Chief Technology Officer] of EatFresh. It was a food tech platform that made deliveries for lunch and dinner through a website and a mobile app. I have since used their services at a different company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Parallel Labs?

We didn't have a UX/UI [User Experience/User Interface] designer in-house.

They worked on a mobile app as well as a website. There are pictures of food and the description of who made it, how it was made, and the price of it. It’s an e-commerce product. You make the purchase choice, add it to the cart, go through the checkout process, and then you check out. After checkout, you track your delivery, you get to know how soon you're going to receive it, and that's it. You give your feedback and rating of the product.

They provided development and design services for this application. The app and website are available for iOS and Android. They helped develop the frontend, while we did the JavaScript and connected it to the backend.

I worked mostly with Robin [Founder / Product Designer, Parallel Labs] and Chaitanya [Interface Designer, Parallel Labs]. There were six to eight people working with the product. That included other designers, assistant designers, and copywriters. There was also a web developer involved with the project.

How did you come to work with Parallel Labs?

I came to know them through references of other founders they’d worked with before.

We've been working with them since October 2015. EatFresh launched in 2016 but shut down towards the end of the year because of funding problems.

We received positive feedback during user testing when we showed users the previous version and then the new version. I was really happy with the way it turned out.

How did Parallel Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed well given the ambiguities that were there on the project. We had some broad requirements. Once we had an iteration of the solution, we saw what worked and what didn’t, then went back to the drawing board. A lot of our requests were accommodated well.

We communicated through email and tools like InVision and Zeplin, which offer visual communication. Robin was there for me whenever I needed to pick up the phone and call him. We met in person at times to make sure the project was on track.

This was a startup. There were a lot of unknowns and they dealt with that very well compared to other design agencies I've worked with in the past.

In general, especially in design projects, you should communicate a lot. You can never go overboard with that. There's going to be disconnects between what you think and what they assume that you are thinking, and that may be lead to disasters or a lot of problems later on.

I have recommended several founders to them.