Enabling the Data Driven Enterprise

Nvent makes Big Data simple, to understand, to figure out, to take your company to the next level. Virtually every industry has the capability or potential to collect and analyze data to improve business outcomes. Nvent consults companies on how big data can improve business planning and execution, transform business capabilities to be agile and nimble, and most importantly, profitable.

The ways that big data can be applied to business problems are almost endless and we want to join you on the Big Data journey. Nvent helps companies get a handle on both risk and opportunities with traditional and advanced analytics. We can help you interpret data differently to keep up with rapid market changes. Future success depends on innovation and building more predictive, responsive, and personalized customer experiences. Nvent strives to become your strategic advisor by providing the experts, methodologies, and tools for an effective Big Data implementation.

Nvent delivers solutions in 3 main areas of focus; Big Data Management & Strategy Consulting, Data Engineering, DevOps and Data Science/Visualization.

San Francisco, CA
Headquarters
  • Nvent
    720 Market St
    San Francisco, CA 94102
    800.407.1156

AT&T, BestBuy, Cablevision, Comcast, GE, Home Depot, NBCU, Turner, Walmart, and many more

Big Data Services for Large Utility

"It is very refreshing to see consultants who feel part of the team and seem invested in the outcome."

1,000,000 - 9,999,999

June 2015 - Dec. 2015

Nvent works on a series of projects contributing to data storage infrastructure for industrial appliances. The team works on setting up the platform, providing best practices, and migrating data.

San Francisco Bay Area
Principal Architect, Large Utility

All project deliverables have been on time, as promised, and of good quality. Nvent is invested in the project outcome and success. The two main consultants compliment each other well and are willing to look at non-traditional alternatives and give their opinions.

My team in the company is building the infrastructure for an industrial data lake where industrial data for appliances and machines would be posted, analyzed, and acted upon. This is the data lake to meet that need for an industrial Internet.

What is your position and responsibilities?

I have been assigned to my team and I am playing the role of the director for product development, which includes both architecture function and the engineering function for the industrial data lake. I am also training to become a CTO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Nvent?

Nvent data actually is subcontracted to Hortonworks, so our agreement is with Hortonworks. Our business goal is to be able to deliver the first product by September 1 [,2015], and external release with some of the data in the data lake by December 31, to be able to host the data and to bring a bunch of internal users and intel user groups.

There are four major projects that will need to be onboarded on this new data lake platform before the end of the year. That was the business goal. In terms of business value, this translates to about $100 million worth of savings for the company due to operational excellence by bringing this data together.

There are two people from Nvent Data who are consultants. They are helping us with Hortonworks related issues and we set up the platform. That was the first phase of the engagement, which ended September 6[, 2015.]

The second phase of the engagement has to do with the platform giving us the best practices and potentially, this is a stretch goal, of helping with migration of some projects into a new platform.

How did you come to work with Nvent?

Through Hortonworks directly, so we have been contracting with both since the first meeting. We told Hortonworks that we would talk to the potential consultants before we accepted them, so they brought these two guys from Nvent, and we liked them a lot.

The hardware for the overall project was about $3 million. The software was about $1.7 million. The people cost is about $1.5 million to date. Altogether, it has been about $6.2 million so far.

It lasted three months until September 6, and then we have extended it for another two months. It will probably end in another month or so, depending on where we are, we may look at extending it another two months.

The amount of cost assigned to them, we have never, ever seen anything that has gone beyond what we gave or they promised. The delivery has been almost 100 percent on time. I think the quality of the work has been good. I would say that I am very happy with the work that Nvent has done. They definitely are people we would like to work with again. They seemed to be very much a part of our employee team.

What distinguishes Nvent from other providers?

I am very satisfied with both of the consultants. They are great. Andrew [Heichelbech, director of services: infrastructure engineering at Nvent] is definitely unique in some ways, which is that he has a lot of experience and, at times, he will not take traditional consultant route with selected events. He would rather state his position strongly, causing us to wonder what he was doing and why he was putting his foot down so hard. We are not used to seeing consultants who actually will push back. To me, it is no different than an employee, and either he states his point, and makes sure that we understand what we are about to do is not going to be in our best interest. He is not your typical consultant, but I like the way he comes across as always having our best interest in mind.

The junior member is definitely very knowledgeable in the area. He is less vocal, but we like his expertise. He is more agreeable to being directed as opposed to Andrew who is more willing to tell you where you are right or where you are wrong. However, overall, they complement each other well, and they fit in with the team's culture quite well.

It is very refreshing to see consultants who feel part of the team and seem invested in the outcome, as opposed to just being here for the job and then they are gone. They do not really care.

Is there anything Nvent could have improved or done differently?

I noticed that there is sometimes some cross connections that happen between our discussions with development with Andrew. Andrew is the most senior person on the project, and he feels he has to step up to make sure that junior members does not commit to things that they cannot deliver.

I have seen a couple of places where they tripped up over each other where they disagreed with each other on what was possible. One of the things that they could probably improve on is to work better as a team and for both to have their ability to interact independently without having to worry about some hierarchy within the team themselves.

Big Data Consulting for Large Telecommunications Provider

"In some cases, they're even helping with training us on our own internal solutions."

1,000,000 - 9,999,999

Dec. 2014 - Ongoing

Nvent helps with commercial telecommunications data compilation. The team works on advertising case requirements, reference architecture and Pathfinder documents with the goal of aiding commercialization.

10,000+ employees

New York City Metro Area
Vice President of Data Platforms, Large Telecommunications Provider

The team was very strategic from the beginning of the project, acting as members of the in-house team. Nvent is attentive to deliverables and is a clear expert in big data and advertising. It is anticipated that they will stay on in a long-term capacity to support commercial data efforts.

The organization I work for is Comcast.

I'm vice president of data platforms. My responsibility is to commercialize Comcast viewing data for all advertising use cases supporting our internal sales efforts across Spotlight – our local sales organization CM360 – our national sales organization, and other rep firms.

We also support other programmers. Lastly, we help support other Multichannel Video Programming Distributors that syndicate other Comcast solutions through our commercial data platform.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Nvent?

The goal with Nvent started more than 10 months ago. They'd helped us to define our use cases requirements, reference architecture, and pathfinder reference document. They've really been involved in all the initial planning stages of our commercial data effort.

Most MVPDs have already commercialized their viewing data, but are not utilizing current data processing technologies like Hadoop and cloud-based solutions. Nvent has brought a level of expertise that we don't have elsewhere in the marketplace. Not only do they have expertise in understanding big data, but even more specifically, they understand the advertising use cases associated to that data. They started out being very tactical and strategic with us. It was a team of one 10 months ago. The team has expanded so, in some projects, they will remain as a project management office and in others as our guidance and counsel support team.

They do other work inside of Comcast. Part of the effort that we have requires interdependencies of other organizations. Their affiliation requires a strong understanding of Comcast architecture. In some cases, they're even helping with training us on our own internal solutions because of their experience working with others.

How did you come to work with Nvent?

The owner and manager at Nvent [Robert Kreft] and I have a long history of working together. I was his client when I was in a similar role. We both worked together before at another corporation also, so I have a lot of experience working with him prior to him launching the Nvent business.

We had a very limited short list of potential vendors that could support us and my experience working with Will [Lowry, managing partner at Nvent] and the team made the decision pretty easy regarding the specific requirements for the business at Comcast

Our financial relationship with Nvent estimates between $1 million to $3 million, possibly higher.

There's always an end in mind, but I'd say there's no immediate plan to cut away from Nvent. I imagine they'll be working with us for a long time, especially in the next three to five years in helping to support our commercial data efforts.

I manage a lot of different projects and I have directors that manage the specifics, so I'm not sure I'd be able to quote anything else.

How did Nvent perform from a project management standpoint?

We are satisfied with Nvent's performance. They are very attentive to deliverables and to the approval process we have in reaching specific milestones. Our milestones and deliverables are tied to their payment.

It's a process that's going to lend itself to efficient work. They are essentially a part of the team, and we don't feel a difference with them being an external provider. They're highly accountable and highly responsive. The work is meticulous, so I really don't have any complaints. We're very happy with the outputs.

What distinguishes Nvent from other providers?

We've seen a lot of vendors in this space, and I'm talking about some of the big companies in the big data space globally. These guys have experience and qualifications around big data as it relates to advertising, and that goes far and above what any other company brings together.

One of the other managers, Steve [Morin, managing partner and CTO at Nvent], was one of the original guys that developed Hadoop. That's really the kingpin of data processing speeds and truly understanding the outputs of what advertisers ultimately want from big data solutions is really cutting edge. I'd stack those guys up against IBM or any of the other big boys in big data SI [system integration] work.

Is there anything Nvent could have improved or done differently?

There have been some growing pains. Our business has scaled quickly, and that has put demands on some of their back office capabilities. Mostly, they have had to be patient with big company procurement and billing issues.

We don't move as quick as a small company might need us to and that's caused a bit of strain. I think we've worked through it. I think smaller firms would look for a 60-day payout. It's not uncommon for us to hit 90 days, and that's on us.

Managing a bench and resources for a smaller firm probably puts more strain on their business. But, they've done a good job of being patient with us and managing around it. They've taken on projects without formal purchase orders and have gone above and beyond to work within our guidelines.

Big Data Projects for Large Telecom

"I am satisfied with their work, I'd hire them back in a hot minute."

Sept. 2012 - Ongoing

Nvent analysed telecommunication data to provide output savings. The team examines inventory data and business unit effectiveness. They work on a range of projects in this ongoing relationship.

Dallas Metro Area
Big Data Executive, Large Telecom

The team adds value through concrete suggestions on methods of organising business units. Nvent has increased business value by 50% and also raised customer satisfaction rates. They have perfect attention to detail and communicate very well.

We are a leading telecommunications company.

I am the senior director of big data and run offices in Plano, Texas, as well as Palo Alto and San Francisco, California. I was actually the one who started big data and then, after starting it, have run everything from operations to hiring to external go-to-market strategies.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Nvent?

The overall business goal is to provide actionable insights, which we are able to use internally, to be able to provide cost savings. We need to be able to use data to reduce our capital budgets significantly by knowing where our inventory is. Much of our work with Nvent is for internal purposes as well as for networking purposes to provide a better service for our customers.

Internally, we have done cost reductions across the business units, from capital to expense. We've worked with fleet vehicles, where we've actually reduced the use of towing from our vehicles by predicting when batteries were going to fail. We're now using that in every aspect of the car. We've used it for shipping containers to understand where shipping containers are helping a company be able to inventory their assets better.

How did you come to work with Nvent?

I had a methodical process where I would look at the different industry players to find a company that could affect several things. I needed a company who would put people first and be cognizant of our employee Net Promoter Scores, a company that was able to go along beside our journey, give valuable insights and help us and enable us to do better than we were. Although we might have the knowledge of our own company, I needed somebody to come in and give concrete suggestions about procedures and better methods of organizing our business units.

When I was looking at vendors, I actually had a scoring chart to rank firms. We interviewed everyone from KPMG to McKinsey and had to look across to see what value they were bringing. I have to be organized with my vendor choices and show a return on investment on every decision I make. When I was going through the selection process, it was a very methodical process of interviews of looking at past projects, and seeing what type of personnel they would bring.

We've done several projects with Nvent already. I began with small projects and have done every size of project with them. I started slow and increased the scope as I gained confidence in them, and that increase occurred within two months.

We have been working with them for three years, and it's an ongoing collaboration.

They actually have brought more value than we've expected. They've actually enhanced us to the point that even our employee Net Promoter Scores have significantly increased to the tune of almost 90 percent from their engagement. Without their input, it was down to about 40 percent. They really helped focus the work and helped show the value of repeating the message and help everyone ensure they understand it.

I am satisfied with their work, I'd hire them back in a hot minute. Regarding stats or metrics, it was more of the employee Net Promoter Scores. It also went to customer satisfaction. We did customer satisfaction surveys with their engagement. They were up between 90 percent and 100 percent. Prior to that, they were not. Also, it enabled us to go to a net positive promoter score. So they were able to find cost savings and initiatives that we hadn't thought about.

Our fleet project, for example, had a net savings just in towing fees of $1.7 million. That was huge for us. That didn't include the cost that we were able to reduce in the call centers, where we were able to reduce the ripple in the pond effect. We started out small and ended up very large.

What distinguishes Nvent from other providers?

The attention to detail and the intention to ensure that everyone, top to bottom, understood their methodologies and what they were doing is unique. Nvent was very good at communication, which is very rare in an industry when we're so spread out with so many different ways to communicate. I appreciated that. They also gave a one-page glance overview, so on days when I didn't have time to think, I could quickly glance at something and know where the metrics were.

Those were things that I look for in any person or team to be able to provide because there were days where we just don't have time to read a 25-page report. I appreciated that they were able to keep me up to speed quickly, even if we were traveling.

Is there anything Nvent could have improved or done differently?

There isn't. I've been trying to think if there was, but I really haven't come up with anything, which is rare. I walked out three other vendors. I can tell you I've walked others out and they've stayed. For me, that says a lot and the others were in the top five. Again, it was more of the attention to detail from the top to the bottom.

Part of that was our fault. We like to change projects around, and they were gracious in trying to keep up with us.
    Like I said, I walked other groups out. They were the ones that stayed.