We Build Digital Products Designed To Succeed.

Neon Roots is a progressive digital & interactive agency specializing in custom web/mobile app development and augmented reality. For Neon Roots, success can be measured by results and we’ve consistently delivered by using lean startup principles to develop cutting-edge software for a variety of clients from two-person startups to Fortune 100 companies.

Our passion for creating engaging, user-friendly, and ground-breaking digital experiences has drawn the attention of major players like Salesforce, Concord Music Group, Epson, and many others whose partnerships have allowed us to become one of the leading Los Angeles agile development agencies.

$1,000

455 West 23rd Street, Suite 1B
    New York City, NY 10011
    917.388.1551

MVP iOS Development for Electronic Music Startup

"We didn’t have many expectations coming into the project and they’ve blown us away."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Neon Roots created an MVP for a platform that intuitively connects people in the music industry. They also conducted market research, crafted wireframes, and began development of an iOS application.

Co-Founder, Starving Artist

Neon Roots provided an exceptional experience throughout the different stages of development, laying the groundwork for an ongoing relationship. The Rootstrap process they yielded the MVP was instrumental in raising 30k from investors, and they have received overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Starving Artist is a new platform for musicians to connect in their local area, whether you’re a producer, singer, rapper, singer-songwriter, or an instrumentalist. My brother and I were always having trouble finding people to help complete the songs we produced, so we decided to make a platform ourselves. I’m the co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

We wanted to develop our idea further. We don’t know how to code and there were a lot of unknowns in the industry, so we needed people who had the knowledge to help us.

First, we went through their Rootstrap process, where we talked about our idea and we refined it to the MVP [minimum viable product]. They conducted some market research in order to find the competitors in the industry. Then, we developed a plan to monetize everything. They made some wireframes that included the main features, and at the end of the process, we had a report that gave us a clear idea of who our audience was, the problem we were solving, and how we would make money from it. After that, they started development on the iOS app. They broke the project into sprints and built the frontend so we could start using it. We still have to develop the backend to allow people to connect with other people.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

We went to a Tony Robbins seminar in Florida and a day after we got home from that, we were on Instagram and we saw one of the Neon Roots ads. They were advertising that they had built an app for Tony Robbins. They were the first company we reached out to. We did contact other firms but we started building a good relationship with Neon Roots right away. They connected us with our favorite artist, so we were able to pitch him our idea. We saw some of the work that Neon Roots had done and liked their mindset of starting lean and working lean as you build up. It seemed like they were everything we were looking for.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000 so far.

We started to work with them in April 2016 and the work is ongoing.

Since we only have the frontend built, we can access it on our phone through a platform called TestFlight. Once the backend is developed, we will do beta testing. The project so far has given us a good idea of what to show investors, and we’ve been able to start pitching to them. That’s how we were able to raise $30,000 after the Rootstrap process. Everyone we’ve talked to has given positive feedback, including our favorite artist and other big artists in the electronic music scene.

How did Neon Roots perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate through Skype and Google Hangouts. We’re usually in contact with the CEO and the development team. They keep us updated on everything.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

Their Rootstrap process is something that works for them and that’s what they have you stick to. They nail down the MVP and then build from there.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

I can’t think of anything. Their work looks good and we’ve learned a lot. They’ve been great to work with.

Overall Score It’s been really good. We didn’t have many expectations coming into the project and they’ve blown us away.
    They’re good at being on time and they’ve worked with us to meet the deadlines that we had.
    I feel that the value we received has been way more than what we paid them.
    There are things that could be polished since we’re still in the early phases.

Mobile Responsive Web Application for Marketplace for Employees and Employers

"They've been on top of things – extremely meticulous and diligent. The biggest thing is I can tell they care, and it's not just another project for them."

June 2016 - Current

Neon Roots was hired to do competitive analysis and perform a prototype web application hybrid to serve as a marketplace for employees and employers.

Small business

CEO, Skillzz

Neon Roots received a near-perfect score, constantly giving feedback on the project, showing dedication to maintaining a schedule, and delivering meticulous execution and work ethic during their engagement.

Skillzz LLC is a marketplace for employees and employers. I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

I had this germination of an idea, and I came to them to vet it out. They do this process called Rootstrap where they do a competitive analysis. It's a sprint – it's one week. They do a competitive analysis and develop a full-on prototype. It started with that, and we went into development 3 or 4 weeks later.

We're doing a full web app hybrid – a mobile responsive website that will be a 12-week long process with them. They use Ruby on Rails. When we first met, I wanted to develop an iOS app. That's what we Rootstrapped, and that's what we built the prototype for. Then, all of us cumulative called an audible. What's great about them is they were able to switch gears quickly and started developing a hybrid mobile responsive web app instead. That all took place very quickly. Within a week, we had a new prototype for a website.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

I went online and Googled Los Angeles app developers. I called five or six, and I interviewed three. What was the most impressive about Ben [Lee, co-founder and CEO of Neon Roots] and the team was how hands-on they all are. I felt like I wasn't just getting people who were going to code and develop. Instead, I was getting business minds and innovative young people who understood my vision – what I wanted to do – and could contribute in a way that wasn't just technical but also very meaningful on the business side. That's what attracted me to them. That, and I was able to go into their office.

The cost was $110,000.

We started in June [2016].

The feedback so far is that people have been impressed with the velocity. They've been surprised at the velocity that things have gone and how quickly they've been able to create what we've done so far in the span of time. It's been 6 weeks of development. They work in sprints. The quality looks great. I'm very impressed with it.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

It would be the team that has been working on my project. There's probably 10 of them in the office. They all care a lot. They believe in the product. I don't feel like they're just building another game or another app. They like the project. They come to me with creative ideas. I think if someone's looking for a big group of yes men, Neon Roots would not be their choice for development. I could not recommend them less if people just want to hear, "Yes, I will be you whatever you want." They're going to be questioning you the whole way, trying to build the best product. They're an opinionated group of people – for sure.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

The only thing would've been to meet my team before Rootstrap. You go through Rootstrap and have one team. Then, when you go to development, it's a totally different team. It was different to have the people who you've been working with for that beginning sprint totally change.

Overall Score They've been on top of things – extremely meticulous and diligent. The biggest thing is I can tell they care, and it's not just another project for them.
    They're on top of me for Google Hangouts meetings. We have a very fixed schedule that we adhere to every week Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    They're in the medium-to-higher scale of pricing, but I think I get enough for that. It's definitely fair.
    They're meticulous in their execution, and the majority of what I'm looking at is bug-free, or the bugs are very minimal. They fix them quickly.
    I already have. I refer them to my own family.

Wireframing for Business Improvement App

"Neon Roots is very little in the way of overt formalities. The team was very encouraging and interactive."

Neon Roots was brought on to provide a layout, design, and framework of a potential app idea. Prior to proceeding with a MVP [minimum viable product] this client looked to Neon Roots for reassurance that the concept of the app was viable. Neon Roots delivered on all fronts.

Denver, CO
Cofounder, Business Improvement App

Although there are no metrics to share, this client highlights that the final deliverable was exactly what they were looking for. Neon Roots' due diligence and industry insight stand out for this client.

We are in the midst of developing a webinar series to support a future app that we are hoping to develop which is intended to support single person and small businesses with the information to properly run their companies.

My wife and I are the two principals. I’m cofounder and co-owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

We see a difference between the company and the business. Our own experience was such that there’s very little support out there for the company especially when you’re in a growth mode or you’re operating in multiple states. There’s very little support or information to help growth occur. There are a million things that will help you with your business - with business management, employees, getting customers, but almost nothing that’ll make sure that you have the right insurance, teach you how to talk to an attorney, or to make sure that you have proper processes set up in your company so you are compliant and functional.

Neon Roots helped us with the app. They had a program called Rootstrap which I would describe as a pre-development development. You take several meetings with them. They ask you a ton of questions and try to pull out from you what your real goals are and what you want the app to do. They give you a lot of feedback which helped us make decisions. It was very valuable. They were generous with their feedback and experience, and that helped us refine what we wanted to do with the app. Then from there, they helped us build out a template. They do some storyboards about how it’s going to look. They do custom backlogs as well.

If you take every potential story through a potential customer’s eyes and you say “I am an X and I want to do a Y”, you build out all these situations and that’s called a backlog. They create those for you. They apply a point system to those which they use to give you a quote for full development of the app. They also did some high definition click through modelings. We have several pages of how the app would actually look. You can click through them and see how it functions, which is terrific especially when going in front of investors. I’m pretty convinced that having that in hand will go a long ways towards getting funding, especially since we are in a startup phase. Neon Roots provided us this in a fixed price in just a few weeks.

They also do their own market research and they determine whether they believe it’s a good application. If they don’t believe it or like it, then they’re not going to do the Rootstrap for you, which I think is cool. There were a number of points of very positive feedback and very encouraging movement in going through that process with them.

In the end, working with Neon Roots gave us a good look at what we could do. It gave us an idea of what the MVP should be for the app, and it gave us an idea of what it’s going to cost to build it out fully. Again, this was much cheaper than if I was wrong and I just paid an app development company to build an app for me.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

Neon Roots was my first choice based on what they offered. My wife and I decided that we wanted to work with a group a little closer to where we live, which is Denver. There’s a very well regarded firm in Boulder and so I took the Rootstrap description from the Neon Roots website and I turned that into a statement of work. I took the statement of work to this app development company and they looked at it and quoted it, and said that they could do it. We agreed to that and signed a deal.

I went up and had the first couple of meetings, and after the first couple of meetings, the owner said that they were overwhelmed and that there were too many options. She said that they thought we should do this a different way and gave us a whole different quote and took our agreement and ignored it. In that whole process, she decided that she had earned about 50% of our deposit and wanted us to put another deposit up so we could move forward working under her new plan, which would be on an hourly time and materials basis. Needless to say, we said no and fired them. We went back to Neon Roots and asked if they would take it on and they agreed. They saw all the things that the first group saw, but they had a much better grasp of what to do and how to address it, and got us the product they promised.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

We have spent $15,000. I thought that was very reasonable for the amount of effort they put into it and for the product that we got.

Just to see the idea on paper was exciting. These are ideas that we’ve had for our own business. My wife is the expert when it comes to running a company and the financials. She has always wanted to have one place to capture all of these different parts of a running company. For her to see that on paper was exciting. Then, when we did the final look, my wife’s first comment was “my brain is on TV”. We did that meeting with Neon Roots via video chat and they put up the first page and she just stared at it. Through the conversation, they were very accurate in pulling out and creating what her vision was for how this app would function and how it would look. Beyond the fact that it was a great product, they were really able to bring to life the vision that my wife has been carrying around in her head for a number of years, which is fantastic.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

They’re very casual, which we appreciated. Neon Roots is very little in the way of overt formalities. The team was very encouraging and interactive. They all had feedback. The Chief Executive Officer, Ben Lee, is a visionary. He had a lot of great industry insight and application and user insights that we had not considered. Napoleon was our primary point of contact. He was always on time, always articulate, and always let us complain or applaud, but kept meetings on track. He was terrific. They had a nice vibe and they have a terrific product offering.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

No. I’m sure that other people would wish that they were a little more willing to take on their projects. We noticed in our initial meeting that Ben Lee’s partner in the business was signing letters declining projects. I think it’s terrific that they won’t take on a project that they don’t agree with or think they’re not going to enjoy. When you’re in business, it’s very hard to turn away work. If you’re able to turn away work because you have a philosophy or you’re too busy and your ethic is such that you’re willing to turn that away instead of reducing your value in other places, I think that’s very ethical. It’s a very impressive thing to do.

Overall Score We got along well with the group. We worked well on the project. The partnership was good.
    They set a schedule with us. There were several times that we pushed it out because we were in the midst of having to do other work. They were very accommodating and didn’t give us a hard time when we were late. They were always on time.
    There was never any discussion about changing the cost. In fact, we think they actually did a little extra work for us. They incorporated some mobile views of the high-definitions that weren’t on the statement of work.
    It was exactly the product that they offered us. We have the final deliverables as they promised and the high-definition click through models are exactly what we hoped for.
    I’ve already referred several people to Neon Roots.

App Development for Consumer-to-Retailer Platform

"Neon Roots is very thorough and responsive. They really vetted the market to see what was out there and not reinvent the wheel..."

Neon Roots delivered a minimum viable product over a two week span. The product offers a clickable version of the app that will be helpful in raising investment funds.

Detroit, MI
Founder, Bond Club Shop

Over the short partnership, the client was impressed with the service offerings Neon Roots provides to small startups. The client highlights responsiveness and thoroughness as reasons for highly recommending Neon Roots.

Bond Shop Club is a platform dedicated to reconnecting the high end consumer with larger retailers by offering exclusive incentives that are available instore only for club members. We’re currently into development to launch at the top of 2017.

I’m the founder and Chief Executive Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Neon Roots?

I had the idea for the platform and I vetted the revenue model and business idea in general over a few months in order to get the details flushed out. I didn’t have a CTO [Chief Technology Officer] at the time. So the development aspect was a very large challenge to overcome in terms of limitations and what would be an appropriate way to approach a job like this. It was something I didn’t know.

Initially, it involved iOS with expansion into Android. We’re also considering different web options.

How did you come to work with Neon Roots?

I researched different development and mobile firms dedicated to being a “tech cofounder” for a startup that didn’t have one. That’s how I came across Neon Roots. There were several companies from New York, LA, and Chicago that said they were the mobile development firm for startups. There were more that were focused on enterprise companies.

What I liked about Neon Roots was just looking at their marketing and them saying that they were going to take my startup and bring it to life. I had a call with one of their evangelists. He had a startup and also didn’t have a CTO, and he was saying how much Neon Roots really helped him to flush out his business model, and go through and create that clickable prototype which he could use to raise more funds and also to make sure he had a solid and scalable business model. From there I stayed in close contact and decided that Neon Roots would be the route I would go for building the initial prototype and vetting a business model.

How much have you invested with Neon Roots?

Between $10,000 and $50,000.

The initial prototype is finished. That minimum viable product was part of the Neon Roots’ bootstrap program, as well as all the deliverables in order to build out that business model.

The bootstrap program lasted approximately two weeks. Through that time period, I had several different Skype conference calls with three different individuals. The founder of Neon Roots hopped on several of the calls. I also had a project manager as well as another CTO/business development executive that were really doing a lot more research on the market - what’s out there, what’s scalable, and the best way to approach the business.

At the end of the two weeks, they delivered a clickable prototype. They used a lot of the information based on what my target consumer was, what that market looked like in terms of market potential, and ways to market this to target that demographic. Considering this was a platform based business focused on connecting individuals with retailers, it was important to identify exactly how this product will work in terms of working with companies and retailers on the backend process.

What did you find most impressive about Neon Roots?

Neon Roots is very thorough and responsive. They really vetted the market to see what was out there and not reinvent the wheel. If I had any questions or concerns, or if I wanted to make any additions towards the ultimate framework for the app, they were very accommodating to that. They were supportive in giving me several options for development and potential business contacts. I think they do some unparalleled work, and I didn’t feel like the team just wanted to take my money. There was even some work they provided to me after the project was officially finished.

Are there any areas Neon Roots could improve?

Based on the fact that they’re working with several clients that don’t have tech cofounders, I asked for a short synopsis of the mobile capabilities and how, if I were to pitch my platform to a retailer, would I explain the technical capabilities. It would have been great if that sort of training and information was part of package from the start.

I think they do some unparalleled work and I didn’t feel like the team just wanted to take my money.
    Neon Roots was top notch in terms of professionalism. I would work with them again.