Nelson Reids is an award-winning Lagos based marketing agency with footprints across five continents and operating across key industries required for African economic growth: FMCG, Retail, Banking and Tech. We combine data, intentional strategy and top-notch marketing execution to help clients build strong relationships with their customers, achieve accelerated success and revenue growth.
DAAR Communications, GOGLA, Opera News, 234bet, Dryve, GL&V
The team at GOGLA approached us to coordinate the media and publicity campaign surrounding the launch of its latest report, 'Powering Opportunity in West Africa', funded by the UKAID and prepared by Altai Consulting. The highlighted the impact of Solar Home Systems and followed research conducted across Nigeria, Ghana, Togo, Cote D'Ivoire, and Senegal.
The objective of the PR campaign was two-fold:
(i) Create awareness of the economic opportunities and impacts unlocked by off-grid solar increase, leading to more support for the solar sector.
(ii) Ensure research findings are widely disseminated and turned into appropriate action.
The first step for us at Nelson Reids was to identify the major stakeholder groups vital to the success of the project. Based on our correspondence with the GOGLA team and in-house research, we arrived at the following stakeholder groups: Government and policymakers; Investors; Social protection agencies; Energy industry practitioners and enthusiasts; and the general public.
Next, we mapped each stakeholder group to the intended call to action necessary to drive the off-grid solar energy industry forward. Once done, we then matched the combination to a media outlet whose readers were a close match with our segmented audience.
After taking a critical look at the media landscape in Nigeria with respect to the report, we opted to use only media outlets within the top 5 in the country- both to establish credibility and show the importance of the project at hand, as well as position GOGLA as subject matter experts whose recommendations and advocacy could bring all the relevant players together to solve Africa's power conundrum.
To achieve this, we targeted:
(i) Mainstream national print and online media publications to reach policymakers, social protection, and avocation agencies and the general public.
(ii) Industry-focused publications to reach energy practitioners and potential investors within the sector.
Key tasks executed by the Nelson Reids team:
(i) We worked extensively with the GOGLA communication team to develop press releases and blogs.
(ii) Distributed GOGLA press releases to the targeted media outlets.
(ii) Created a water-proof media relations strategy and ensured its implementation.
(iv) Media monitoring and evaluation to track all GOGLA mentions across the web.
(i) 12 top media outlets published the GOGLA press releases.
(ii) 980,000 core target audience reached.
(iii) 2 Print publications.
(iv) 2 Opinion Editorials from the top 3 media outlets in Nigeria.
GOGLA counts Royal Dutch Shell, TOTAL, International Finance Corporation (IFC), Schneider Electric and many other prestigious organizations as members. Established in 2012, GOGLA now represents over 160 members as a neutral, independent, not-for-profit industry association. Their services assist the industry to build sustainable markets and profitable businesses delivering quality, affordable off-grid electricity products and services to as many customers as possible across the developing world. They believe that with the right support, the off-grid solar market can scale to provide affordable solar power products and services to provide electricity to the 840 million people currently living without energy by 2030, in line with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 7. For more, visit gogla.com.
Start-up gaming company, 234bet, tasked the team at Nelson Reids to create an unusual promotion around Valentine's day that would drive five critical business objectives:
(i) Enhance the brand image and position the brand as a fusion of sports betting and entertainment.
(ii) Increase brand awareness and publicity.
(iii) Recruit new users.
(iv) Improve brand and customer interaction.
(v) Enhance brand credibility.
Our Solution: One Love. Two Cities. Three Nights. Four hundred percent bonus.
For a section of people aged 18-35, Valentine's Day means a quiet, intimate affair with their loved ones. For some others, it means outdoing everyone else with the greatest display of affection money can buy.
We sought to combine both scenarios into the mother of all valentine's day rewards that would see one lucky couple flown between two cities on a private jet, having dinner in the sky, spending three nights in a luxury hotel whilst earning 400% gaming bonus on their first deposit.
And all they had to do to win was go-viral, uploading a 30-second video telling the world what they would or wouldn't do for love. Easy Peasy.
1. All entrants were required to sign-up and place a minimum bet of NGN 1,000 to be eligible for the reward. This was done in a bid to drive customer recruitment.
2. We created the #234bet4love hashtag to tract participating entries and campaign reach. This was done to increase customer-brand interaction and engagement, giving participants and the public a chance to see other entries and entertain themselves.
The magnitude and class of the reward saw the brand earn over NGN 3,000,000 in free media coverage on Nigeria's top media publications including ThisDay, The Guardian, LindaIkeji, The Independent and Instablog.
1. 1827 participating entries.
2. Over 5,000 gaming users signed up.
3 Over 9 million people reached with the digital campaign.
Our client, an African media giant requested the branding, promotion, digital campaign and publicity of its annual event celebrating the Africans who excelled in their respective industries.
1. We designed the logo adapting Queen Ida's face to express the depth of the company's Nigerian roots and showcase the pride of African heritage to the rest of the watching world.
2. We designed communication and promotional digital banners for each nominee using beautiful, high-resolution images with spotlights and colour to make each nominee proud of their achievements in the year under review as well as inspire everyone else who came in contact with the material.
3. Strategic placement of the communication materials; class of influencers engaged; and strategic partnerships with high-level institutions, positioned the event as a world-class celebration of excellence- sparking both desire and aspiration.
1. We created a website for the event that allowed the public exclusive information to each nominee. The website allowed the public vote for their choice candidate across the various categories- keeping them engaged and fostering that feeling of being part of something bigger than themselves.
2. We drove the digital campaign using online pools and content about the awards, organizers, nominees to engage the public.
3. Programmatic, display and social media ads ensured that the message and the event were well-publicized and penetrated all social strata.
We kept the public abreast of the voting as it happened real-time with digital press releases and print publications at little or no cost thanks to strategic partnerships forged with other media houses as part of the project scope.
1. 1,039,638 votes across social media and event website.
2. 15 million Nigerians reached.
3 Multiple viral trends using event hashtags.
4. Attendance of High Level Nigerians- including state governors and upper echelon of the African political scene; celebrities across entertainment, media and sports.
Preparing the strategic communications plan for $200m global paper giant.
Our client, a global leader in the paper and pulp industry revamped its strategic plan to focus on long-term thinking in a bid to remain competitive and secure its future.
The objective was to communicate the company's new vision; the action plans to be executed; and the imminent changes in human capital, structure, culture and ways of working to employees and other key stakeholders- keeping them informed to their new responsibilities, motivated to win as one and excited for the future that would be the emergence of a truly world class company.
The message was designed to achieve three goals:
1. Build morale and a sense of being, by appreciating all key stakeholders for their monumental efforts and commitments over the years that had seen the company grow into a leading paper and pulp powerhouse in the world.
2. Deliver a clear understanding of what was at stake and what was required of each and every one involved, from senior executives to trainees and vendors- establishing a unified goal and reiterating the positives of collective effort and a winning mentality.
3. Keep everyone abreast of how the strategic plan was coming together as regards implementation by department and any modification in plans, parts or personnel.
The right message to the right people via the right channel is what makes for optimum communication. So, we alternated the delivery channels using a carefully blended mix of emails, bulletin boards, roadshows, meetings and conferences to best deliver the message at each phase of execution.
A critical part of implementing the strategic communications plan for us, was to establishing a water-tight and credible feedback channel to get unadulterated and unbiased key stakeholder views as regards the wholesome transformation in the organization- understanding the climate and situations on the ground to better inform decisions.
Initiation of a smooth transformational experience for a global powerhouse.
Our client, a start-up gaming company sought ways to differentiate its brand from the pack of over 70 competitors in a keenly contested industry while appealing to both ends of the social class.
Our response, the fusion of Sports + Entertainment: Making Gaming cool again for everyone.
We targeted high-level events in the Federal Capital territory that attracted both upper and middle-class Nigerians- getting them to interact with the brand and experience its unique attributes and features.
1. Using outdoor miniature basketball hoops and setting up at the event venues hours before the events commenced, we quickly attracted all early comers who wanted to do something fun while they waited.
They picked cards and tried for free drinks- winning only when they made all shots corresponding to the number on the cards picked correctly.
Having everyone trying out and cheering each other on, we completely eliminated social class and brought everyone together.
2. Using virtual reality and e-sports, we brought high level and middle-class Nigerians together, bonding in our tents, as attractive brand ambassadors explained brand USPs.
1. Ticket giveaways via Social Media and radio tours using celebrity brand ambassador.
1. Over 1,000 users signed up at the event venue.
2. Over 3 million Nigerians reached through digital and offline campaign.
Created in collaboration with South-African Based Agency, FORT. This pan African spot leveraged key influencers across the region to highlight the key features and benefits of the Opera News App. It is currently running on Multichoice’s DSTV.
"Their concepts and designs were top-notch."
Assisting with the digital and event marketing efforts of a media company, Nelson Reids helped with the coordination and execution of a viewer lottery and awards system.
"Their concepts and designs were top-notch."
Jan 21, 2020
Because of the social media and event promotions delivered, the partner is again confident in the strength of their user base. Listeners are more engaged than ever before, due in part to the dedication and emphasis on collaboration demonstrated by the team. They leveraged their industry expertise.
A Clutch analyst personally interviewed this client over the phone. Below is an edited transcript.
Introduce your business and what you do there.
I’m the social media coordinator for DAAR Communications, a media group.
What challenge were you trying to address with Nelson Reids?
We needed help with digital and event marketing.
What was the scope of their involvement?
They helped us with the promotion of a lottery that we were launching. We wanted to give out cash prizes to people who have been watching and listening across Nigeria.
At that point, we were also giving out awards to encourage a larger audience to take an interest in our business. They assisted with coordinating that effort as well.
What is the team composition?
They brought in five people to collaborate on the first project. For the second project, there were three people.
How did you come to work with Nelson Reids?
Our CEO introduced me to Nelson Reids.
How much have you invested with them?
We spent between $10,000-$49,999.
What is the status of this engagement?
We worked together in February–October 2019.
What evidence can you share that demonstrates the impact of the engagement?
There’s been a spike in social media engagement, which reassured us that we had a solid listener base. Google Analytics is judging their performance going forward. They did a great job with the lottery promotion. We got good responses from people across Nigeria and were able to get the brand back to its success from 10-15 years ago.
How did Nelson Reids perform from a project management standpoint?
Project management was superb. Every problem has been solved collectively, not by one person. They shared a lot of ideas. When working on a project, it’s not all about solving the bigger problem. Working with them really opened most of our eyes to our overall business practices.
What did you find most impressive about them?
I know we could pick up any project with them to solve problems and deliver effectively to a global audience. In order to have software at their level, it's essential to have a great team with good ideas. They’re a group of intellectuals.
Are there any areas they could improve?
They could've added a few people to the effort. It’s not a big issue as long as the project is completed on time. It doesn’t affect the project going forward, but it does give the project more fine-tuning at the end.
Do you have any advice for potential customers?
Give them the job. They’ll deliver what you want on time.