Experience and Results from Start to Scale

Silver

Morgan Hill Partners is an elite team of seasoned operators whose mission is identifying and executing creative growth options to maximize value - in a fundamentally new model.

MHP was founded on the principle that deep industry knowledge, pragmatic operating expertise, and a unique playbook produce superior results. We create and execute strategies, aligning with stakeholders to achieve objectives. Honed at hundreds of technology companies, our innovative, capital-efficient model is field-tested and, quite simply, works.

We primarily work with tech companies between $1M - $20M and their financial sponsors through our process of assessments, roadmaps, and rigorous execution.

2018
Saint Petersburg, FL
  • 1601 3rd Street South, Suite F
    Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
  • 17 State Street, Suite 4000
    New York, NY 10004

Workshop on Developing Ideas for Startup

“Their business advisors had an impressive ability to delve deep into our market and domain.”

Apr. 2019 - May 2019

Morgan Hill Partners partnered with a startup in the digital innovation space to hold a business development workshop. Topics ranged from identifying problems and solutions to the overall strategy.

Gainesville, Florida
Mirek Sopek
CEO, LEI.INFO

The workshop Morgan Hill Partners conducted generated innovative ideas to improve the overarching business strategy. Based on the aggregated insight from participants, they delivered a marketplace assessment for the startup’s services and product offerings.

I'm the CEO of LEI.INFO, which is a startup in the digital identification space.

For what projects/services did your company hire Morgan Hill Partners ?

Morgan Hill Partners conducted a workshop on strategy for our startup.

We wanted to improve our business plan, presentation, and pitch. Another of our goals was to formulate a solid strategy to overcome potential problems related to our startup environment.

They were recommended to us by another company. When we met at the 2019 Synapse Summit in Tampa, we discussed opportunities to work together.

Morgan Hill Partners held a workshop for our team. We discussed the current business plan for our start-up at length, identified problems, and sketched out solutions to overcome them and improve. better. The central deliverable they produced was a marketplace assessment for our products and services.

We worked with a team of three people. Each of them was a fully qualified business advisor.

Our workshop with Morgan Hill Partners helped me reformulate the business plan for our company. While we are still working on finalizing the assessment, this experience helped me understand both potential opportunities and threats better.

Every aspect of the team’s organization was just great. Since the workshop was only one day long, we didn’t need larger-scale project management.

I don’t see any such areas. Everything went well.

Management Consulting & Marketing for Cyberbullying Company

“They’re methodical, provide lots of notes, and are on time for meetings.”

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

Morgan Hill Partners serves as a fractional management partner, providing coaching and insights into business strategy, sales, and marketing. One of their projects involved creating a LinkedIn outreach program.

Tampa, Florida
Andrew Grubbs
CEO & Founder, BulliPatrol

Internal stakeholders praise Morgan Hill Partners for their quality work. The team rigorously checks all of their deliverables to eliminate any potential mistakes, and they excel at managing their resources. Currently, their LinkedIn efforts have yielded about 70 leads in the last six months.

I’m the president and founder of BulliPatrol, a company that monitors social media accounts for parents to alert them when cyberbullying occurs. We partner with companies to add our services to their wellness programs as a corporate benefit.

What challenge were you trying to address with Morgan Hill Partners?

We initially engaged Morgan Hill Partners for strategic insights, focusing on how to position ourselves on the B2B side. Since then, their scope has evolved into more of a fractional management role, which also encompasses support for our sales and marketing departments.

Morgan Hill Partners provides a range of consulting services, acting as both coaches to our staff as well as conduits when necessary. If I’m pressed for time and need a meeting taken off of my plate, their team will take the meeting in my stead, which is helpful.

On the sales side, they’re working with my sales force to improve our call scripts, streamline our outreach efforts, and close calls. One of their main projects is a LinkedIn outreach program that helps us create more connections and gain more leads.

They’ve also served as the entirety of our marketing department for the past 6–9 months. Using our input, they’re responsible for most of the messaging for our digital and print collateral. This includes creating fliers and banners for conferences, developing and testing emails, and reworking half of our messaging for our public-facing site. In addition, they’ve provided design inputs to our site and our main application’s UI.

Overall, I’ve worked with about 7–8 resources.

How did you come to work with Morgan Hill Partners?

I found Morgan Hill Partners through a referral from my attorney. After meeting with them, we decided to try them out.

We’ve spent about $40,000 to date.

Their work started in October 2018, and we still have a contract with them.

We’ve received about 70 leads from their LinkedIn outreach program over the course of around six weeks. On top of that, their deliverables are top-notch, and they have a robust review process to weed out any errors. I haven’t seen mistakes come back to us like with other providers I’ve worked with.

How did Morgan Hill Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

They manage their team really well; it’s a disciplined approach that’s different than what I’m used to, but it works. They’re methodical, provide lots of notes, and are on time for meetings. In terms of communication, we interact via text, email, phone, and in-person meetings since they’re local.

One of the biggest initial draws for me was how connected they are to the local professional networks within the Tampa Bay area. Other than that, I’ve grown to respect what they do after working with them for the past few months.

We did have some scheduling issues with one of our main connections early on, but they resolved the issue by reassigning the contact. Now, they meet all of our scheduling needs.

Be sure to clarify contract points, especially in terms of the deliverables. There have been times when I thought that my requests were clear when there was actually some ambiguity.

Overall Score The overall experience has been great. Both my partners and I have learned a fair amount from Morgan Hill Partners.
    While we had some initial scheduling issues, they fixed the problem internally and are now meeting all of our timelines.
    As with any management consulting company, we always wonder if we can squeeze just a little bit more efficiency out of the process.
    Their deliverables are excellent, and I haven’t seen any mistakes come back to me.
    I've already recommended them to a number of people.

Business Consulting for Equestrian Services App

"They’re easy to work with, and their team regularly brings forth useful ideas and innovative solutions."

Nov. 2018 - Ongoing

Morgan Hill Partners offers business consulting services to a startup company. They provide marketing strategy recommendations, technical analysis, and guidance for acquiring investors.

Grandville, Michigan
CEO & Founder, Horse Care App

Activity on the app has grown as a result of Morgan Hill Partners’ work. Their team is flexible and insightful, offering useful recommendations while remaining accessible outside of regular business hours. Their expert guidance and transparent approach make them a valuable business partner.

I’m the founder and CEO of a startup that links horse owners to equestrian service providers through a mobile app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Morgan Hill Partners?

Because I’m the sole owner and employee of my company, I realized that I needed an experienced partner to guide my marketing efforts and help me find investors. I hired Morgan Hill Partners to provide ideas for my advertising strategy and financial backing efforts.

They offer guidance for my marketing and sales strategy, which includes social media campaigns, email outreach, sponsorships, and other advertising methods. Rather than delivering marketing services themselves, they refer me to other firms that can provide in these areas. They’re also evaluating my app developer alongside other potential technology partners and making recommendations based on their findings. Aside from these consulting services, their team is also helping me find investors who are interested in my app.

I work primarily with Steve (Operating Partner, Morgan Hill Partners) and Alex (Associate Partner, Morgan Hill Partners). I also communicate occasionally with Jim (General Partner, Morgan Hill Partners) and John (Operating Partner, Morgan Hill Partners). John specializes in technology consulting.

How did you come to work with Morgan Hill Partners?

I was referred to them by one of the VPs at the development company that built my app. They introduced me to Jim, and we began our partnership soon after that.

I’ve spent approximately $20,000 at this point.

Our partnership began in November 2018 and has continued since then.

Activity on the app has doubled month over month since the beginning of 2019. My users are becoming more engaged with the product, which has led to more transactions on the platform.

How did Morgan Hill Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

They call me twice a week, every week. We've dedicated one of the weekly calls to marketing strategy, and the other is for anything else related to my business. We also communicate frequently via email. Their team is very accessible, even connecting with me over the weekend when I’ve had urgent questions.

They’re easy to work with, and their team regularly brings forth useful ideas and innovative solutions. They’re also very experienced and have a deep understanding of the ways they can support my business.

At times, I wish they would actively steer me in my decision making. I appreciate that they want me to run my business and that they value my input. But, in areas where they’re more experienced, I would benefit more from a specific recommendation rather than a variety of options.

They’ve managed time effectively throughout the partnership. They’ve also been able to pull information together quickly when needed.
    Although I’ve yet to see a high ROI, I’m pleased with their work.

Professional Coaching for Startup Hub

"Their methodology is superb and their repository of content is extremely robust."

June 2018 - Ongoing

Morgan Hill Partners provides training to coaches who work with member companies of a startup hub. They also make their proprietary content and resources available to the coaches.

Tampa, Florida
Director of Programming and Partnerships, Startup Hub

Still in the onboarding phase, the coaching program has received positive feedback from key stakeholders. Morgan Hill Partners' expert team inspires confidence throughout the project by communicating clearly from the start. Despite some hiccups, efficiency and quality of work generally win the day.

I’m the director of programming and partnerships at a startup hub. We offer support services that help build bold scalable and thriving companies in Tampa Bay.

What challenge were you trying to address with Morgan Hill Partners?

We were seeking a solution to provide coaching for our member companies.

Morgan Hill Partners works with us to train our coaches. So we hired expert advisers and coaches to be part of our team. Then we utilize Morgan Hill Partners for training purposes. They train our coaches on their proprietary curriculum and methodology. They also provide us with a platform of content and resources for our coaches can leverage.

We worked with around 10 of their staff and operating partners for our methodology training. On a weekly basis, we work with about five of their staff.

How did you come to work with Morgan Hill Partners?

We were originally going to build a training program in-house. Then we decided to find a solution that would save us time and efficiency. Morgan Hill Partners had the most in-depth resources and repositories of content. We liked that not only do they craft their own content but that they curate the best resources in the industry. They’re also located near us, which is convenient. We connected with them and worked out what our arrangement would be.

We’ve spent $80,000.

Our first conversation happened in June 2018, and the project is ongoing.

They’ve trained five coaches in this initial period, who are working with 25 member companies. The member companies get access to this for free through their membership in our collective. We're still in the onboarding process but so far they are quite excited. It's helping to provide them clarity in the direction of their businesses.

We're satisfied with their product delivery to date, although it does look different in practice how we assumed the methodology would be used with our coaches. Despite some hiccups, they've created a solid product that will hopefully turn into a pillar of our programming.

How did Morgan Hill Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

Morgan Hill Partners does an excellent job of keeping us informed and up-to-date on action items. I've been quite impressed with their project management throughout the engagement. We communicate via email and then do weekly calls via Zoom or occasionally in-person. While the initial phase took longer than we wanted, we’ve been pleased with the way they set timelines and achieve objectives. They communicate well about the process and are accommodating to our needs.

Their methodology provided a common language for our coaches and their repository of content is extremely robust.

There's always room for improvement, but overall we’re satisfied with the experience.

Have a clear idea of your objective from the get-go. We're in startup mode as a new organization, so we weren't entirely sure what we needed from them. It took longer to get to the final product as a result. Coming in with a clear objective as a client would be helpful. That's probably the biggest takeaway. Our engagement with them isn’t a typical project, but I would much rather leverage their expert resources than create them on my own time.

Their project management is quite good.
    We work together to figure out what works for both parties.
    They provide great value-add for the startup community.

Strategy Consulting for Blockchain Gaming Platform

“The team is organized and productive from their top-level executives down to their lower-level staff.”

June 2018 - Ongoing

Morgan Hill Partners is providing strategy and consulting services to guide a video game distribution platform through the early stages of business. They’re helping with finances, investors, and plans.

Katonah, New York
Tony Caputo
CEO, Equiti Games

Morgan Hill Partners consistently offers valuable insight, helping the company establish a business strategy, avoid pitfalls, and implement plans for the future. The team is very efficient and collaborative. Their dedication and skill set the foundation for a strong and lasting partnership.

I’m the CEO of Equiti Games. We manage a digital distribution platform for video games. Users can download and play games via their PC, interact with friends, and work towards different achievements. We’re implementing blockchain technology to allow users to own and resell their games and their digital goods on the platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Morgan Hill Partners?

We’re an early-stage startup, so we needed a team of technical experts to guide us as we grow, go to market, and maneuver various business challenges and issues.

Basically, Morgan Hill Partners is helping us develop and implement a working business strategy. As we continue to grow, their team provides insight to help us efficiently allocate money and structure our business to attract investors. They’ve created several documents to help us secure investments. The team is also helping us plan the next stages for the platform, as well as supporting our hiring and outsourcing efforts.

Our main point of contact is John (General Partner, Morgan Hill Partners), but Jim (General Partner, Morgan Hill Partners) and Steven (General Partner, Morgan Hill Partners) are also involved. For day-to-day communication, we primarily interact with Nick (Associate Partner, Morgan Hill Partners). We’ve also worked with Adam (Associate Partner, Morgan Hill Partners) because he has a background in the venture capital space. If we ever encounter a situation that requires a different skill set, they’ll provide an additional specialist for immediate assistance.

How did you come to work with Morgan Hill Partners?

A personal friend of mine is an executive recruiter. She was familiar with Morgan Hill Partners because they run in the same professional circle. Following her positive recommendation, we met with their team. They seemed to be a good match, so we chose to partner with them.

So far, we’ve spent around $25,000, but we plan to spend more.

We started working with them in June 2018, and it’s an ongoing relationship.

Overall, their expertise has been extremely helpful. Because of their work in the field, they know how to navigate situations that we’ve never encountered. Morgan Hill Partners has helped us avoid pitfalls and establish an efficient path forward. They’ve even helped us manage our relationships with outside partners and investors, and they’ve connected us with their professional network.

How did Morgan Hill Partners perform from a project management standpoint?

They stay on top of their workflow. The team is organized and productive from their top-level executives to their lower-level staff. We generally communicate through phone calls, emails, and Slack messages. Any time someone from their team makes the trip from Florida to New York, I’ll meet with them in person.

They feel like part of our internal team. It’s clear that they believe in our project and are committed to the success of our business. We have a good inter-team dynamic. Our partnership feels genuine.

Because our priorities are constantly changing as we try to establish a foundational business plan, the Morgan Hill Partners team never really has enough time to use their full skill set on a specific task.

Silver