Delivering Meaningful Software for Web & Mobile

Monterail is a close-knit team of 100+ experts delivering meaningful software for startups and businesses.

In 2016 & 2017 we were recognized by Deloitte as one of the fastest growing tech companies in Central Europe recording instant growth since the company set up. In 2018 & 2019 we were also recognized by Financial Times as one of the fastest-growing companies.

For over 9 years now, we have been using Ruby on Rails, Python and JavaScript to deliver beautiful web applications. As we highly value efficient solutions, we build hybrid & cross-platform mobile apps with Ionic and React Native technology.

We’ll act as your technology partner, to help your business thrive and succeed.

Wroclaw, Poland

Merck, Solarflare, Cooleaf, Loyco, Gutwin, Tailored, University of Wroclaw, Xchanging, Teambook, WFC, Innovestment, Extradom, Easyship, Kastio.  Check our portfolio and case studies here.

Merck UNITE - medical knowledge sharing platform

Online platform for Kenyan doctors diagnosing and treating diabetes as well as a forum for exchanging medical knowledge in Kenya and beyond.

iDesigner for Extradom, a 3D interior design app

Easily accessible online, stable and multi-platform - iDesigner is a Web application with 2D and 3D workspaces providing real-life visualizations of interior design.

Easyship - a shipping platform for global eCommerce

A complete rewrite to an all-in-one shipping tool used by over 15,000 eCommerce sellers. New design and new technology for better SEO results and conversions.

Guild, a messaging application

A cross-platform app suitable for iOS, Android phones and the Web, the purpose of which is to share expertise and learn from peer professionals.

Merck DORA, a healthcare-oriented web application

Merck DORA, an online platform enabling Kenyan doctors and healthcare providers to share knowledge and gather statistics related to community health threats such as diabetes.

Cooleaf, HR Web & Mobile application

We have been Cooleaf’s partner for over 5 years now. Together we developed a brand new product designed for an entirely new market in web and mobile version.

Packet Analyzer Platform for data visualization

User-friendly interface and data visualization for complex network engineering.

DealGlobe, M&A deal platform connecting Europe and China

DealGlobe launched in China and Europe in early 2015 with the objective of helping more Chinese businesses undertake and succeed in cross-border M&A.

Kastio, a rich media platform for online video streaming

Providing a smooth webcast experience for rich and sophisticated content.

Range, time management platform for software agencies

From its conception to first users, and then the beta version, we designed and built this team scheduling software for agencies and studios.

Cashdeck, fintech web app development

Application letting you control all your financial accounts (bank, credit cards, mortgages, super and more) from one portable place — mobile, tablet or desktop.

Website Redesigns for Online Medical Resources

"I really liked their approach of convincing us through data-driven metrics."

Jan. 2015 - Ongoing

The engagement involved the redesign of performance-driven website resources and includes ongoing maintenance.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Amsterdam, Netherlands
Fmr. Manager CEO Office, Merck

The client truly enjoyed their work with Monterail, citing their positive energy and proactive communication as key differentiators. Their work was priced appropriately.

Merck is a pharmaceutical and chemical company. I am the principal of new businesses and formerly manager of the CEO office.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monterail?

I needed two websites developed: one for African doctors to collaborate, work, and share knowledge among each other and another for allowing patients to do an online risk assessment for diabetes. The two projects were run under the overall digitization project for Africa, so it was a high priority within the top management of Merck.

They did the development, design, and launching of our websites.

How did you come to work with Monterail?

I was personally recommended to Monterail by acquaintances who used to work with them in the past. I got in touch with them and explained my requirements and needs. In comparison to other agencies, I decided on them because they had the best approach and pricing.

How much have you invested with Monterail?

It was around €50,000 at the beginning of the project. After that, we had a €5,000 monthly limit which was sometimes exceeded but always based on approval.

The project started in January 2015. Although I no longer work with them since I changed roles, the previous department I was in still works with them.

One good example is the redesign of the website they developed. We had a new logo and design, so we wanted the website redesigned in a certain way. They came up with two suggestions: one more aligned with the corporate color and design and the other one being less flashy and exciting than the first site but still fit within our design guidelines. Our company wanted the more exciting corporate version of the site. However, they convinced us to make a data-driven decision to understand which landing page had a better conversion rate. In the end, it turned out that the less flashy site performed much better. I really liked their approach of convincing us through data-driven metrics and not only on personal opinions.

How did Monterail perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well from a project management standpoint. It was well-structured and clear with weekly calls and email updates in between weeks. Their communication with us was positive. They always had someone responsible for certain tasks with one account manager being our main point of contact, who was extremely responsive. What was quite nice was they felt like a part of our team rather than a typical client-agency relationship.

What did you most impressive about Monterail?

I liked that they took the time to understand the requirements at the initiation of the project. They not only took the requirements for granted but challenged them by getting behind the requirements and making sure that everything made sense.

Meetings with Monterail were fun because it was about creating something together rather than dictating what you want, and I found that to be very impressive. So far, it is the only time I have found an agency doing this, and it is something that is quite uniquely positive.

Are there any areas Monterail could improve?

I can see it potentially happening where they might go against specific expectations of a client. But in my case, it worked out very well. It is not like they never understood what I wanted and I was not disappointed with anything about them.

They were available to us at any time through email.
    What I liked is that they track their hours worked very diligently which was satisfying to me. Compared to larger corporate fees from other agencies, their fees are reasonable.
    They were responsive and had the ability to adapt and work together with us.

Development Partnership for B2B Software as a Service

"We decided to expand the relationship with them because they’re able to execute."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

2012 - Ongoing

An MVP deliverable for a startup turned into a lucrative development partnership requiring several Ruby on Rails and Angular specialists.

Atlanta, Georgia
John Duisberg
Co-founder, Cooleaf

The client strategically outsources to Monterail because they have proven to be timely and on-budget. Additionally, they provide conceptual insights and their support is highly accessible.

Cooleaf is a business-to-business [B2B] software-as-a-service company focused on helping employers scale the people side of their business. Companies can build a strong culture using our platform to create community, internal communication, rewards, and recognition.

I’m the co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monterail?

We needed a development partner for both web and mobile.

Our engagement began when we were a startup looking to get a minimum viable product off the ground and launched. We initially started with Monterail by giving them a small project several years ago. We continued to give them work, and they are now our full-time development partners. They provide front-end and backend development, design, and quality assurance. They follow an Agile development process where we have a project team that defines the scope of work. For us, they work with Ruby on Rails and the Angular stack. We implemented an iOS and Android native app through Ionic Framework. They’re also involved in our overall support, and we use Rackspace and Amazon Web Services for hosting. They’re always available if we have issues. Depending on the project we’re working on, they provide between 4 and 6 full-time resources.

How much have you invested with Monterail?

We spend $200,000 to $1,000,000 with them per year.

We began our relationship in 2012 and the work is ongoing.

We had talked about building our own development team, but we decided to expand the relationship with them because they’re able to execute. They’ve been helpful by being involved in the strategic and conceptual design. They’ve also given their ideas and feedback. They provide support whenever we need it, even late at night.

How did Monterail perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a project manager that coordinates the work. We Skype multiple days a week based on the scope of the project.

Are there any areas Monterail could improve?

For a company wanting an outsourced development team, clients need to be aware that the process takes time. That’s not just specific to Monterail, but rather something we’ve learned.

Like I said, they've been able to hit the budget.
    They been able to hit the budget and timeline. They’ve been flexible with their resources.
    I’ve given them testimonials and served as a referral to them.

Ruby on Rails Development for Supply Chain Software

"They were able to put together the most credible plan for what I wanted to build."

2011 - Ongoing

What began a test project to diversify the client's vendor-list turned into a several hundred thousand dollar UI/UX partnership.

Co-founder, Supply Chain Firm

Pros included the value delivered given the cost and their proactive approach to projects. They're not the cheapest, but they deliver quality solutions.

I founded a logistics company and it’s being acquired by Computer Science Corporation. I am a co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Monterail?

I was looking for an additional outsourcing company to work on applications. I wanted to decrease my risk by not using one firm exclusively. So I was looking for a company with expertise in the area I needed, which was Ruby on Rails development, and that’s where I found Monterail.

They provided a business-to-business web application for the supply chain industry. I used Monterail for user experience and user interface design, and the whole spectrum of development capabilities as well.

How did you come to work with Monterail?

I found them through a web search for Ruby on Rails developers. The reason I went with them was because they were technically strong and they were able to put together the most credible plan for what I wanted to build.

How much have you invested with Monterail?

The first project was a fixed price at $6,000. Since then I’ve been spending up to $20,000 to $30,000 a month with them depending on how things are shaped up. The total investment would be a few hundred thousand dollars, but not up to a million.

I started working with them in 2010 and I’m still working with them.

There are no specific metrics, but the length of the relationship speaks to how things are going.

How did Monterail perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very good. We started using Trello as a project management tool and then we moved to Jira.

What did you find most impressive about Monterail?

They’ve been really strong on design. They don’t just build to your requirements. They make sure they understand, which may take a bit longer, but in the end, you get a better product.

Are there any areas Monterail could improve?

I’m very happy with them. I would recommend them to anybody that needs product design. They’re more expensive than other firms I’ve used.

Whenever there have been issues, they’ve dealt with them. They prefer to work normal working hours.
    They’re in the mid-price range. In terms of value for money they’re great, because anything I’ve asked them to design they’ve done the whole package.
    The code is of great quality. Their user experience knowledge has been great.
    I’ve already recommended them to someone who needed UX work.