A team of mobile app designers and developers

We are a team of developers of mobile apps and websites enriched with expertise in graphic design and experience gained from projects in our own lab.

Assets:

1. Lab. We develop our own products and perform research. That’s how we gain priceless experience and improve our competences.
  2. Excellent UX and UI. Proved by famous international awards and several large companies that trust our work.
  3. Advanced technology. Focus on the use of the best technology stack.
  4. Kanban. Management process concentrated on long-term partnership and risk reduction.
  5. Security. Keeping confidential client information safe.

Values:

1. Aestheticism. We create a strong bond between the product and the user through the combination of rational UX/UI and emotional graphic design.
  2. Passion for invention. We grow professionally and develop our industry by bringing something new to every product.
  3. Desire for deep insight. We strive to understand the process in order to provide effective solutions.

Voronezh, Russia

YOTAPHONE 2

Eksmo

Red Keds

iOS & Android Designs for Infotainment Company

"They work fast and care about my ideas and end product."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Manufactura expanded an existing Android app by redesigning news and comments screens. They currently assist with creating an iOS version from scratch based on similar functionalities.

Moscow, Russia
Founder, Pikabu

Deliverables for both mobile platforms have met all technical requirements, forecasting a rapid post-launch adoption by the user community. Manufactura’s extensive experience, adaptable workflow, and precise timelines continue to encourage productivity.

I’m the CEO and founder of a small web community based on user-generated content. Because we are a small company, I have many roles, including product and marketing management. I focus on making the community better for our users.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manufactura?

I was looking for a company that could provide good designs for our new iOS app. We have an Android version that was made in 2016 by another company.

The application is a user-generated newsfeed. Our users can read, post, comment, upvote and downvote, add items to their bookmarks, and search through news articles. It’s an informational social network similar to Reddit.

They designed my iOS app from scratch and reviewed our Android app to understand its functionality and reproduce a similar design for iOS. Their project managers were aware of our community and product. We worked together on the project, and I answered their community and user-related questions. We determined the best practices for the app, and Manufactura did a lot of work in order to come up with an adequate design. They made multiple screen iterations. The final product was a good fit for our community, and Manufactura showed that they cared about its success.

They also created new designs for a few important screens of the original Android app—namely, the news and comments sections. Our users spend a lot of time reading articles and comments on the platform.

I don’t know how many people from Manufactura’s team worked on the project. I interacted with a project manager and a company principal. I believe that we had 2 designers, but I never interacted with them.

How did you come to work with Manufactura?

I found them through a web article about app design and development studios. I chose Manufactura because of their good portfolio and website. They’ve worked on a few projects for well-known companies, and I thought that they could create a good design for our app.

How much have you invested with Manufactura?

The cost of their work has been around ₽900,000 Russian rubles [$16,000].

We started working with Manufactura in March of 2017. We finished the Android app designs last Friday and will implement them using another company. We’re planning to start a new marketing project with Manufactura to grow the retention of our Android app.

We’re just starting to develop the iOS app, which should be completed in December of 2017. I have shown the designs to colleagues, and they’ve liked them. Manufactura has delivered work that meets my standards, and I think the result will be a good fit for our users.

How did Manufactura perform from a project management standpoint?

They work fast and care about my ideas and end product. If I didn’t like a certain approach, Manufactura found another design. Everything was delivered in time. We have a good-quality product, and I have no negative comments. I am sure that the app’s users will like it as much as I do.

We’ve used InVision for sharing designs and communication. Manufactura answered my questions there, and I found the platform easy-to-use.

What did you find most impressive about Manufactura?

Other agencies I’ve worked with sometimes didn’t provide accurate time estimates. Manufactura was great in this regard and delivered a good product within the deadline.

Are there any areas Manufactura could improve?

For me, everything was fine.

The project was delivered on time.
    The work wasn’t cheap for the Russian market, but, for the money I paid, Manufactura delivered a great product. Clients with sufficient budgets should reach out to them.
    I would recommend them to anyone who asked me about a good design studio.

Prototype Dev for Internet Company

"Our overall performance is much healthier than it would have been, had we chosen to work with on-site programmers."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Manufactura was subcontracted to prototype several mobile products. Active projects involve app redesign and feature addition.

Germany
Head of Mobile, Prototyping Company

Ratings for the apps have been high, and Manufactura's team has reduced overall development costs for the project. Manufactura's suggestions and strategic guidance have made them more of a partner than just an outsourced team.

We provide an online portal aimed at the German market. I am the head of mobile prototyping for the company. My job is to invent new products and try them on different markets, determining if they are a good fit for the company or not.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manufactura?

We wanted to determine if the product we were trying to build would be a success on the German market, one which could be developed further. In the beginning, we had a very small budget and had been burned by another agency. We also had a tight schedule for shipping the product.

We gave them our first contract two days before Christmas. It had a two-week deadline and it needed to be shipped in four. That was our first challenge: nobody was working in Germany because of the season, but Manufactura's team did. There have been other, smaller ones, for prototyping, each involving two to four weeks of work. They were all web projects with a focus on design rather than technology.

Manufactura designed and developed our prototype in an Agile way, maintaining its extensibility. We had an initial discussion and gave Manufactura a one-month deadline to bring the existing code we had to a production-ready stage. By that, I mean that it needed to look nice and appealing enough to be featured in Google Play and Apple Store. Manufactura redesigned our product completely and recoded the frontend.

After it was shipped, market acceptance was good, so we came to Manufactura for a second time in order to further expand the product. We planned new features and some bug fixes, extending Manufactura's involvement to actual feature implementation. Four months into the collaboration, we assigned Manufactura a part of our backend implementation. After another four months, everything was working well so we reduced our on-site staff and gave more tasks to Manufactura. It was a very good decision business-wise, but our strategy remained to test everything developed by Manufactura since outsourcing comes with risks.

The team size varies from project to project. We have a backend developer, two iOS and two Android developers, a QA resource and an overall manager with a product owner role. For smaller projects, we tried to get the work completed as fast as possible. Manufactura decided how many people should be assigned. We've made an effort to become acquainted with Manufactura's team since they would be working with our internal developers.

How did you come to work with Manufactura?

I'm from Russia, so I'm familiar with the technical scene there. I had been trying to convince the board to select the best outsourcing company possible. We tried a few others, including a German developer, and had been burned a couple of times. It was a process of trial and error, and finding Manufactura came through blind luck. I got to know the company's CEO and found that we not only had a business fit but also had similar cultures.

We started working with Manufactura at the end of 2015. We've had one big project with Manufactura, which is still ongoing.

Our company policy is that we have to determine project budgets every quarter, based on our current revenue and expense numbers. Working with Manufactura allowed us to reduce these ongoing development costs for the first year, especially since our revenue is reduced. Our overall performance is much healthier than it would have been, had we chosen to work with on-site programmers. Our store ratings for the apps have been good.

How did Manufactura perform from a project management standpoint?

It's always a challenge to work with outsourcers. In our case, our side was the slow one, given that we are a big company with a hierarchical decision process. Manufactura is an Agile group, while we are not, so they pushed us more. The overall management was more nitty-gritty at the beginning of projects, involving many questions, ranging from small details like colors, all the way to the overall business plan—if we were sure that a certain feature would perform and why we were implementing it. We removed a couple of features after talking to Manufactura, after going back to the business part of the project and reviewing if they made sense or not. They were complicated items in terms of development and wouldn't have had the effect we were hoping to achieve. This partnership approach was appealing for us.

What did you find most impressive about Manufactura?

It was important for us to have Manufactura step in whenever we had performance problems, specifically around our products. There was a moment in our product history when many users uninstalled the app. We shared those numbers with Manufactura and tried to analyze the situation. Manufactura suggested using the Localytics solution in order to measure retention levels and make them better. We looked at measurements again at the end of the year and they were improved. Looking at Manufactura in another way was a game-changer for us; more than being outsourcers, they can help us make our business work better. I hadn't found this anywhere else during my career working with providers.

Are there any areas Manufactura could improve?

It's common for every outsourcing company to have misunderstandings during projects. A certain feature may make sense on paper, but not after being developed in a certain way. These issues could have been our problem as much as they were related to manufacturing. We were very unclear about features at the beginning of the project, but we learned how to define what we want more concisely along the way.

Overall Score There was a minor issue with scheduling, but Manufactura overcompensated in terms of business intelligence and expertise.
    There was an instance of our work being delayed.
    Everything delivered by Manufactura was on-time and within budget, without requiring overhead from our end. Any minor timing problems were fixed. We did have a one-week delay, but we learned about it during the middle of the cycle, not at the end.
    I'm giving this review, so it's implied that I would recommend Manufactura.

Android & Windows Dev for Game Rating Platform

"I was impressed by Manufactura’s expertise and the team’s willingness to share it."

2015 - Ongoing

Manufactura developed an app that allows users to rate mobile games and connects them to new ones based on interests. They continue to supply dev resources for additional projects.

Berlin, Germany
Manager, Mobile Game Platform

The app was downloaded 50,000 times in the first 3 days and is very stable. The level of dedication and proactive suggestions from Manufactura's team were impressive. The client looks forward to continuing the relationship for the foreseeable future.

Our company does mobile advertising. I am the product manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manufactura?

We were looking for contractors who could design and develop a mobile application for our needs. Using the app, gamers can rate mobile games and leave comments about them. The algorithm on the backend analyzes your interest. It then proposes games you would probably like, based on other users’ experience. It wasn’t just an algorithm by categories. We had a team of gamers who were rated and analyzed why they liked a particular game. A user will then get that information about the game. It was a new business idea for us and we wanted to elevate it, not for a profile direction but as an experiment.

Manufactura developed the app for Windows and Android. In our internal projects, we use Manufactura as a development agency, so the UX comes directly from me. They provided a project manager, 2 developers for Android, and an art director for user experience design. One of our internal tools was developed by Manufactura and they are also handling the design for another project. You can talk with designers and developers if you would like to. It is a free atmosphere and there were no restrictions.

How did you come to work with Manufactura?

That was a big adventure. We had a very bad experience with another agency in Russia. We went through 15 companies based on price, what kind of employees they have, and what kind of services they provide. I spoke to everyone from those companies. In the end, we chose to work with Manufactura.

We started in the summer of 2015 and we are still working with them on other projects. Our engagements are on a time and material basis, but we also work with them on fixed-rate projects. We can choose whichever option we’re more confident with.

We had about 50,000 downloads in the first 3 days alone. We had some ideas and specifications for how the app should be. While Manufactura didn’t design it exactly the way we wanted, they proposed several very impressive ideas. Generally, we accepted those ideas, so the app turned out better than we expected. I know the quality and I’m constantly running code review with external partners. I can say that the software is super stable.

How did Manufactura perform from a project management standpoint?

It is very comfortable to work with them. Their responsiveness is very nice and they always reply quite fast. We use JIRA and Slack to communicate. Depending on what you need, they can dedicate a project manager to you. But for us, it’s much more relevant for me to manage the task. We had an agreement about timelines and everything was delivered on time. Some issues came up, but those were rare cases. Generally, the project management went well.

What did you most impressive about Manufactura?

I was impressed by Manufactura’s expertise and the team’s willingness to share it. They have their own products and they share them so that you will get the best results. They work hard on our projects. Also, they proactively propose solutions, which is very nice.

Are there any areas Manufactura could improve?

Nothing comes to mind. I usually share improvements directly with them.

Overall Score If I compare them with the other partners I worked with, definitely a 5. But I am kind of a perfectionist so there is always some space for improvement, so I think 4.5 would be fair enough.
    It’s very nice but not always perfectly outstanding.
    I will definitely do this.