Mobile App Design & Development

Manhattan Mobile is a full-service mobile UX/UI design / custom software development company located in Manhattan Beach, CA. We are a small yet passionate team dedicated to providing expert solutions for every stage of the mobile app creation process with unparalleled transparency.

Los Angeles, CA
  • 12655 W Jefferson Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90066

Mobile Dev & UI/UX Design for Food Review App

“We were impressed by how well [they] scaled the app to seamlessly handle different levels of use."

Feb. 2015 - June 2016

Manhattan Mobile built a food review app with social networking and photo-sharing components for iOS and Android. Additional features included location-based services, review ranking, and in-app messaging.

Austin, Texas
Ashley King
CEO, Dysh App

Thanks to Manhattan Mobile’s creativity and enthusiasm, the app launched successfully and attained a global reach of over 70,000 users. Their team communicated effectively, hit deadlines, and went above and beyond to deliver an engaging product.

I’m the CEO and founder of Dysh App, which is a mobile app for food lovers. It allows users to view photos of dishes offered at nearby restaurants and view food quality feedback from other users.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manhattan Mobile?

There were no restaurant review apps dedicated just to food, so we hired Manhattan Mobile to help us create one.

They built iOS and Android versions of the app from scratch. We started out by discussing our concept and then they brought in a UI/UX designer to create a wireframe. We worked on branding and how we wanted the app to flow and once that was ready, the developers began fleshing out the first version of the app. As development progressed, we provided feedback and tested each new feature as it rolled out.

This app had a number of complex features, with location-based services as one of the most critical, since we need to recognize where users were in relation to food at nearby restaurants. Another key feature is the ability to sort restaurants by ranking or rating in order to provide recommendations. The app also requires camera access for taking and uploading photos and offers a set of custom filters for photo editing. There’s a social networking component as well, so users can connect to their friends using their contact lists from Facebook, Twitter, or email. Other features include in-app messaging and a “gamification” feature where users earn points for performing certain tasks with the app.

We worked with six or seven people, including our project manager, a designer, an animator, a UI/UX specialist, and the developers.

How did you come to work with Manhattan Mobile?

They were recommended by one of our investors.

We’ve spent somewhere between $100,000–$250,00 over the course of the project.

We started working with them in February 2015 and wrapped up in June 2016.

Our app gained nearly 70,000 users who collected data for more than 140,000 dishes at over 77,000 restaurants worldwide. We received a significant amount of attention based on the quality of our app, including being placed on the front page of Apple’s app search three times and being profiled by several YouTube personalities, and we were consistently able to withstand periods of intense traffic due to those promotions. We were impressed by how well Manhattan Mobile scaled the app to seamlessly handle different levels of use.

How did Manhattan Mobile perform from a project management standpoint?

I spoke regularly with our project manager and with one of the owners, who served as a CTO on our project. We had a two-week sprint cycle where we worked with the project manager on developing each app feature, but the CTO was always involved and would let us know if our timeframe needed to be pushed back to accommodate all of our business plan goals. They also provided us with project management tools that let us follow the progress of the project and test demo versions of the app as we went along.

They’re creative and passionate about what they build. They went above and beyond to suggest things we could do to improve our app, whether that meant proposing additional features or spending extra time outside of working hours on the development to ensure that everything was done right.

Mobile App Dev for Peer-to-Peer Logistics Application

"There was never a point where they didn't have the skills needed to solve a problem."

Mar. 2015 - July 2016

Based on drawings, Manhattan Mobile designed and built a peer-to-peer logistics app. They used Swift and Objective-C to code the iOS app.

Malibu, California
Former Owner, Logistics Services Company

UX improvements wouldn’t have been possible without Manhattan Mobile’s strategic input. While there was occasionally slow response times, their technical expertise sets them apart from other firms. A shared vision made them valuable partners on this project.

I was the owner and founder of a logistics services company that’s no longer in business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manhattan Mobile?

I had the idea for a peer-to-peer logistics mobile application. I didn’t know anything about app development so I needed a partner to bring my idea to life.

Manhattan Mobile started by explaining how the whole process works. In one of our first meetings, they asked me to sketch how I wanted the app laid out. I came back to them with elaborate drawings of exactly how I wanted it to look. They completely redesigned the entire thing based on my vision and their experience for improving the user experience.

They used a blend of different coding languages to create the iOS app, including Swift and Objective-C. The scope of the project expanded throughout the development. My initial idea was pretty straightforward and simple so they used the premade Parse backend platform. As the project expanded and got more complex, they took it upon themselves to rework the whole project and build a custom backend.

I worked with four total team members but primarily with their two lead developers.

How did you come to work with Manhattan Mobile?

I was introduced through a mutual friend.

I spent $90,000.

We worked together from March 2015–July 2016.

They know what they're doing and they brought a lot of good ideas to the table. I was continuously impressed by their knowledge. The app was quite complex with a lot of moving parts. I was asking them for a lot and they did a good job of working with me and not letting the project get out of hand. They still did everything that needed to get done and the finished project was much greater than my original idea.

There were a lot of bugs and crashes throughout the process but they knew exactly what they were doing. There was never a point where they didn't have the skills needed to solve a problem and everything eventually got sorted out.

How did Manhattan Mobile perform from a project management standpoint?

At the very beginning, we just texted back and forth. Then we used Trello to manage the project before switching to Jira. Jira was the best tool and well worth the cost. For the most part, we worked together well and there were no hiccups, but the team’s response time really varied. Sometimes they responded right away, which was great, but sometimes it took a long time and that started to become a problem.

One of their team said to me that there's nothing in tech they can't do. I’m convinced he's absolutely right about that. Their skill set is so deep. They also had an impressive ability to hone in on exactly what my project needed. We really saw eye-to-eye on the path of how the project should go, what it should look like, and where we should direct our efforts. That was huge in making the partnership a success.

I was very happy overall, but I got frustrated when things got drawn out much longer than they should have. I felt my project got put on the backburner in the middle of the process. The pace really dropped off. Eventually, it picked up again and everything was fine, but I don't know why it slowed down.

Overall Score It was a good experience and I learned so much from them.
    Sometimes it was great and sometimes it took too long.
    I got an amazing product for what I paid.

Mobile App Dev for Daily Lifestyle Tracking Tool

"They're very hands-on ... and brought new perspectives that I hadn't thought about."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Manhattan Mobile built a mobile app for iOS and Android, managing design/coding and adding algorithms to support pie charts. They're now focusing on developing an in-app purchase feature.

San Pedro, California
Brendon Herrera
CEO, Onion Plug LLC

The app was completed and is going through beta testing. Bringing in a third-party designer, they were instrumental in giving the app its universal look, making it appealing to both men and women. They readily explain tech concepts, remaining personable and accommodating.

I'm the owner of a software application company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manhattan Mobile?

I had an idea to build a mobile app, so I was looking for a company to do the design and the programming.

First, I met with Chris [Trutanich, Senior UX/UI designer & Co-Founder, Manhattan Mobile] and discussed my idea with him. He gave me some business advice about starting the LLC and getting the app on the Apple App Store and Google Play. After that, we were working one-on-one with him and his two partners to develop the look of the app and make it user-friendly.

They developed iOS and Android versions and provided backend development. The app lets users track personal statistics daily, similarly to a journal, and they provided the algorithm to supply statistical pie charts and other data. Since then, they've been maintaining and upgrading the app. We're now working on the second phase, which is an in-app purchase feature.

I worked primarily with Chris and his two partners.

How did you come to work with them?

We were introduced by a mutual contact. I met with Chris and felt comfortable with him. I could ask him layman's questions and he took time to explain everything to me. After seeing how personable he and his partners were, I decided to work with them, without looking for other vendors.

I've spent about $60,000.

I started working with them in March 2017 and the relationship is ongoing.

We haven't marketed the app yet, so our user base is very small. Also, we're still testing the new versions of it, so most of the feedback is based on beta testing.

They were instrumental in changing the look of the app: they suggested that I contact a third-party designer to get fresh ideas, so we talked to a female designer, who helped us make the app more universal for both men and women. That was the key ingredient to changing everything about how the app looks and how we'll market it. They've been very adaptable, and if I felt strongly about something, they changed it to my liking.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning, we had in-person meetings once a week in their office. Outside of that, we were in constant contact via email, phone, and text. They've met all of their deadlines, so I never had to chase them.

They're able to talk to me in non-tech terms, helping me understand how the backend works. They explained to me what Firebase and Google Cloud did, and answered the same questions over and over again, remaining patient and personable.

Not at this moment. I'm happy with everything they've done so far.

Overall Score They're very hands-on and never make me feel that I'm frustrating them with my questions.
    They presented a timeframe for every project and always met it.
    I didn't personally talk to other vendors, but their price seemed reasonable to me.
    They delivered everything I asked for and brought new perspectives that I hadn't thought about.
    I've already recommended them.

iOS Mobile App Dev & Re-Design for Social Networking App

"They helped us realize and address some of the challenges we will face as a social media platform."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Manhattan Mobile rebuilt an iOS social networking app from scratch, working with a third party to incorporate video streaming.

Michael Hawthorne
CEO, Authorized Revolution Technologies, Inc.

Manhattan Mobile's team exhibits superior expertise in app development. They're invested in customer success, helping identify challenges by working with other vendors to incorporate functionalities as needed. The quality of their work and customer service sets them apart.

I'm the CEO of Authorized Revolution Technologies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Manhattan Mobile?

We were looking for a company that could help us finish our mobile app, a consumer-facing social networking platform targeted to inspirational community leaders (e.g., churches, motivational speakers).

After assessing where we were in development, we decided to rebuild the app from scratch. From there, we took a high-level view of what the app should look like and their team started developing the app for iOS.

They worked off of our original designs, but ultimately redesigned most of the app's interface and features. They also partnered with a third-party provider to integrate video streaming within the app.

We mostly worked with the creative director, who oversaw the marketing strategy for the app.

How did you come to work with Manhattan Mobile?

I was searching online and encountered their CEO and ended up reaching out to him months later based on my first impression. We had a few kickoff meetings with their team before negotiating a five-year contract.

We've invested $35,000–$40,000.

We started collaborating in April 2017 and just received the beta version of the app, so we're close to launching it.

Manhattan Mobile delivered a great product; their development process has been fantastic. Compared to our experience with our previous vendor, the app has very few bugs or issues.

How did Manhattan Mobile perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very responsive through Slack and email. We also regularly held weekly huddles to go over the overall status of the project to keep us all on track.

I'm most impressed by their expertise as app developers and genuine interest in the success of our work. Their willingness to develop partnerships with other providers (e.g., for the streaming features) was immensely helpful. They helped us realize and address some of the challenges we will face as a social media platform.

We're still learning on our end how to best approach these types of projects, so stronger project management would've been helpful. That's hardly a criticism, however, because they've helped us implement process improvements on our end.

They hit most milestones on time.