.NET development agency

We’re a team of software engineers, technology enthusiasts, and IT consultants who work on innovative tailor-made software development.
With a team with strong engineering and business background, Lilcodelab specializes in developing reliable high-quality business solutions designed to help our clients optimize their workflow, automate key processes, and gain competitive advantage.

Split, Croatia

Sarahah

Beermenus

Splitska banka

Hybrid Android App Dev for Beer Location Services

"They want to create the best product possible which was very refreshing to see from outsourced work."

May 2014 - Ongoing

Lilcodelab developed an Android app with push notifications and location-based services using Turbolinks, Java, and JavaScript. They are currently working on additional features.

Brooklyn, New York
Joe Masilotti
Lead Developer, BeerMenus

Lilcodelab's expert Android-centric perspective and deep investment in the product's success set them apart from their competition. Users comment that the app has useful features, feels very intuitive, is easy to use on Android devices.

I am the lead developer at BeerMenus, an online platform that connects craft beer lovers with craft beer vendors.

What challenge were you trying to address with lilcodelab?

We already built our iPhone app and most of the mobile web portion using Turbolinks, a system that helps build hybrid apps across multiple platforms. We wanted to build an Android app as well, but had no in-house Android experience.

Lilcodelab developed feature parity across both platforms and built the Android app from scratch using Turbolinks, Java, and JavaScript. They oversaw setting the priority of features, implementing features, and relaying design decisions.

Their team gave us advice on how certain UX would work better on Android or how certain functions would feel more native. We gave them feedback on the nuances of the different features and they made the necessary changes.

They also built a custom push notification interaction to show detailed information about certain beers and their availability—a new feature exclusive to Android.

Lilcodelab also succinctly integrated a location-based service which lets users know how their location tracking is being used. Then, they helped us launch the app to the Google Play Store and took care of any bugs.

They currently work on any new features we come up with and migrate them to the Android app.

We work with two of their Android developers.

How did you come to work with lilcodelab?

A co-worker referred them to us.

We’ve spent between $10,000 and $49,999 USD on the engagement thus far.

We started working with them in May 2014 and the engagement is ongoing.

Users continue to praise the app and say it feels very intuitive. They say that the app’s UX flows and using the app doesn’t feel awkward—more adherent to Android configurations. Our customers love the push notification feature and lilcodelab’s design choices are highlighted through the app’s usability.

How did lilcodelab perform from a project management standpoint?

When we were working with them daily, they conducted weekly check-ins with us to scope the priorities for the week. They communicated very clearly if the work was going to be too much or too little. They made sure to be upfront about pushing back deadlines if other work was going to take longer and gave honest estimates.

At the time, we used Basecamp to manage the projects, Skype video calls for meetings, and chatting on Slack for small bugs that arose. We currently use the same communication methods for new projects.

Lilcodelab's team really feel like they care about the product which was a huge welcome. They want to create the best product possible which was very refreshing to see from outsourced work. We go back and forth to find out what’s going to be optimal or what's best for the users. They are insightful and give us valuable feedback from an Android perspective.

They are always a pleasure to work with and I meet with them in person. They were very friendly— we bonded over beer and technology.

We oversaw the entire communication process in the beginning, which made us fumble a little bit to figure out the right way to communicate with them.

If they could provide the best communication method for them from the start, it would help start projects faster.

Ask them what they think of everything as they are reserved until you ask. They have a ton of great opinions on things in terms of product, UX, and code style. Make sure that it's more of a dialogue, this is where their value lies.

Overall Score They are great to work with.
    We just had some minor communication issues in the beginning.
    They were the least expensive out of the companies we initially interviewed.
    I definitely recommend them.

Software Dev for Online Site

"[lilcodelab] worked on weekends and was always there to support us."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

lilcodelab served as the development partner for the web portion of an existing app. They used ASP.NET, Microsoft Azure, and SQL databases to help with load balancing, caching, and adding new .NET features.

Saudi Arabia
Zain Al Abdin
Founder, Sarahah.com

lilcodelab is communicative, trustworthy, and respectful. They’re easy to collaborate with and often worked weekends to meet and exceed expectations. Although they could occasionally improve in code documentation, they’re supportive and able to handle any challenges related to web dev and UI.

Sarahah has been a top Apple Store app in the U.S. for 2 consecutive months. We’ve also topped the App Store in more than 30 countries. I am the founder of the app.

What challenge were you trying to address with lilcodelab?

We needed a partner experienced in ASP.NET, Microsoft Azure, and SQL databases, for the web portion of our product.

We didn’t actually contract lilcodelab directly, but rather their founder, Nikola Peric. We worked through Toptal [Top Talent contracting website].

We needed help with the usual database tasks, but not to a great extent. We also needed to add caching, in order to reduce the load on the existing database, and basically make our site scalable. Nikola handled these tasks, which involved building multiple ASP.NET features. He also added a number of features to our existing API.

The communication was done between me and Nikola directly, as well as between him and our CTO.

How did you come to work with lilcodelab?

We went on Toptal.com, looking for candidates which would be a good fit for our product. We were shown other developers as well, but based on our phone call with Nikola, we became excited about a collaboration. His communication skills were good, and he seemed to be quite able in his field. We also reviewed his CV, previous work, and Twitter account.

He worked full-time based on an hourly contract, over the course of a month. I cannot provide a figure.

We started working with lilcodelab in August 2017. We hired Nikola again a few days ago, also through Toptal. We’ve given him some more challenging tasks since we believe in him and appreciated his past performance. We didn’t even look at other candidates.

My CTO and I felt satisfied with Nikola’s work. What I like about him is that he gives his full attention to tasks and is a good communicator, humble, and respectful. He has worked on weekends and was always there to support us. He has extremely good technical skills.

I am a programmer myself, but I’ve left all tasks related to the product to Nikola. He handles anything web-related or around the user interface [UI].

How did lilcodelab perform from a project management standpoint?

I don’t believe there was a management part in our agreement, but Nikola adapted fast to our workflow and handled any tasks posted on Trello, communicating directly from there and labeling them appropriately after completion.

I am currently dealing with the head of the Microsoft SQL Server and the head of Microsoft Azure, but I have also deferred the communication with these engineers to Nikola himself.

I didn’t give him full access to our resources until our contract with Toptal was verified. Nikola mentioned that it was hard to make modifications without having full access, but he also was trustworthy enough to tell me when I forgot to remove the keys from the code. This is something I’ve valued a lot, as well as the respect he’s shown in communication.

He might need to give more attention to code documentation. Other than this, I don’t have any comments. We’ve hired him again.

I wouldn’t fault Nikola directly for this though, since the rates are from Toptal.