Bolder and Faster

Laughing Samurai is a digital marketing agency. We're a culture first, results driven, creatively inspired team of digital strategists, interactive designers and copywriters. We create brands, build websites and provide digital marketing strategy and implementation.

2008
Orlando, FL
  • Laughing Samurai
    1121 N Mills Ave
    Orlando, FL 32803

Branding for Florida University

"Overall, they [Laughing Samurai] get things done when we ask them to."

Sept. 2013 - Nov. 2013

Laughing Samurai was hired to help with branding for the client and develop websites for the client's clients.

10,001+ employees

Winter Park, Florida
Assistant VP Marketing, University

The work has been received well by those that have seen it. The client appreciates Laughing Samurai's customer service, ability to deliver their projects on time, and willingness to let the client know if there will be any delay.

I am the Assistant Vice President of Marketing at a university. We do everything from promotion materials to websites to brochures for recruitment, fundraising, general awareness, and brand management within the university.

What challenge were you trying to address with Laughing Samurai?

We’re a large institution. We have a lot of units and offices that need web work. What we can’t handle or have in overflow work, we send to vendors outside to produce websites. Laughing Samurai was one of those vendors.

They’ve done two things for us. The first is a little bit of brand research for the university. We work with them closely on developing some ideas for ways to categorize and organize how units are able to identify themselves within a system. It really didn’t turn into anything that was launched, but it was very helpful on the research side - getting our heads aligned and having somebody outside coming in and giving us an outside perspective on it.

Secondly, they helped with website development. We have some of our internal clients who need a website, and when we don’t have the time, we tell them about companies we’ve worked with in the past that can help them. We stay involved in the conversation from a brand and web standard. Developing websites on WordPress and within the standards that we like to have them done for is what we look for in a vendor.

We wanted a vendor that understands necessary security procedures, somebody who understands the visual language and style of what the university is aiming for - bold, modern, youthful, and energetic. We need a vendor that is able to really challenge the client on thinking a little bit differently to produce a website that still fits within the brand but represents the ideals of the university.

How did you come to work with Laughing Samurai?

I met them through a connection with some other folks. The design and web community is not huge here in Orlando. So it’s not a large community, and you can usually bump into folks. I met them through another agency in town and got to know them a little bit more before we started engaging work. We saw that we could get along with them.

How much have you invested with Laughing Samurai?

Most of the projects are $10,000 to $30,000. We did engage with them on some video work as well.

We are not working with them now, my office specifically, but there could be others that are working with them around the university.

I don’t know that I have any specific metrics. We have pleased clients I would say. Generally, as far as cost for the services when the website comes back, most clients seem to be happy. I haven’t heard anything negative.

How did Laughing Samurai perform from a project management standpoint?

Generally, pretty well. Everybody gets a little busy from time to time. Overall, they [Laughing Samurai] get things done when we ask them to. They provide a plan. Typically, if there’s been anything lagging it’s because something changes here or something new enters the project that wasn’t part of the original scope, so we need to discuss that. Most of the time there’s somebody that responds when they get busy. They say, “We got your message but we’re busy. We’re going to get back to you by this timeline.” They’re pretty good with that.

What did you find most impressive about Laughing Samurai?

They’ve got a good small team that you’re really going to get some customer service with. You’re going to know who you’re talking to. It’s not, “I’m going to pass this to my team of developers and I don’t know which ones working on it.” You can understand who’s doing things. Often, when you work with large companies you feel like you’re just a number, but I think Laughing Samurai truly wants to create something successful. It’s not just here, this is what you wanted. They want to build something that’s going to work for you.

Are there any areas Laughing Samurai could improve?

It is important to always stay on top of the projects. There are crunch times, and it’s really no fault of theirs if we call up and need something. If they can’t respond, they can’t respond.

So far so good. If there’s ever been a delay in a project, it’s been on our side.
    They’ve always been willing to work with us on pricing and understand that sometimes universities are non-profits or state institutions, and we always want to get it for cheaper.
    Very good.
    They would treat somebody well.

Web Design for Digital Agency

"They’re [Laughing Samurai] doing well. They’re very proficient in their procedures."

Laughing Samurai was hired to redesign websites, managed social media accounts, and worked on SEO [search engine optimization] for the client's clients.

Orlando, Florida
Julio Lima
Owner, SAY IT LOUD!

Laughing Samurai provides all relevant metrics to the clients. Although there are no numbers, the clients are happy with the results they are seeing. The client is happy that Laughing Samurai is able to meet objectives and production timelines.

Our company is called Say it Loud. We’re a full-service advertising agency. I am the Owner and Creative Director.

What challenge were you trying to address with Laughing Samurai?

Even though we’re a full-service agency, we source out our digital capabilities. We can design websites and we hire people to program and sometimes design them. We were hoping to find a digital partner that would be a permanent solution. We tried different companies from around town and Laughing Samurai always came through. They always came through and did good work on the tests we gave them.

We first partnered with Laughing Samurai to do rebranding for a conservative insurance company in town. We came up with this really great solution that took a company that had a look from probably the 1980s to something that looks current and global. They no longer look like a small company in Orlando, Florida. Another client that Laughing Samurai helped with was a restaurant that needed to redesign their website. We initially consulted them and then brought Laughing Samurai to do the actual redesign. Laughing Samurai not only helps keep the design up to date but also help with social media. Laughing Samurai provided social media management, SEO, and Google AdWords work for a client of ours that sells contemporary furniture.

How did you come to work with Laughing Samurai?

They had a reputation in town for not only being small but doing very effective work. We were testing two or three different companies that same size. These other companies didn’t get it and would miss deadlines. Laughing Samurai always met the deadlines, knew how to code, and actually got the business aspect correctly as well.

How much have you invested with Laughing Samurai?

Monthly, it’s in the $15,000 to $20,000 range. We started four years ago.

We still have a few project with them ongoing. We’re almost exclusively sending all of our digital work to them.

We share reports provided by Laughing Samurai with all the clients that we’re working on together with them. All the barometers are on the rise since they started working with us. There is no questioning of where a client’s money is going because they’re seeing results. We give them reports on page likes, bounce rate, and how many people saw the campaigns as detailed as you can get. The reports are provided for clients sometimes on a weekly basis and some monthly. All of them are on the rise or stable. Their design work was good too. Now they look like any company in New York or London. They’re very happy with their work.

How did Laughing Samurai perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re [Laughing Samurai] doing well. They’re very proficient in their procedures. We give them objectives and a production timeline for each project, and they always meet the deadlines. It’s never been an issue.

What did you find most impressive about Laughing Samurai?

Compared to the other digital agencies that we had worked with in the past, it has been positive. We invited them to not only move in with us but pretty much be our sole digital provider. We haven’t had to go anywhere else since we started the relationship with Laughing Samurai, which is a big relief for us because in the past we had horrible experiences with other digital agencies. They’re very in tune with what’s going on in the industry and are very sophisticated.

Are there any areas Laughing Samurai could improve?

The only thing I ask of them is to stay on top of new trends or new methods which we can use in digital to offer clients in order to provide a little more of what we offer to the clients. Obviously, it’s a better return on investment for us and for them.

Overall Score Again, there’s always room for improvement.
    We’ve never had an issue with that.
    They’re very fair.
    There’s always room for improvement.

SEO & Web Design for Spanish Restaurant

"They’re always there when I need them [Laughing Samurai] and are easy to work with. I thought that what they did was amazing and were always on top of things."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Laughing Samurai was hired to do web development, SEO [search engine optimization], and branding work.

Orlando, Florida
Katerina Coumbaros
Owner at Tapa Toro

The client has received a lot of good feedback from users of the site. The client felt that Laughing Samurai went above and beyond with their work. They were easy to work with and always willing to collaborate.

We have two restaurants. We have a Greek restaurant, Taverna Opa, and a Spanish restaurant, Tapa Toro. I am one of the owners.

What challenge were you trying to address with Laughing Samurai?

We were opening up our second restaurant, Tapa Toro, and I was looking for a company to do the branding, logo, and website. Basically, we needed everything a digital marketing company would do.

They designed it and had a photographer for the food photography. They helped us with Google analytics, SEO, and were writing the unique content for the website. They set up our Facebook, Twitter, and our Instagram – which they post to. We do a minimum of three posts per week and come up with a monthly outline. If we need to add anything in, I let them know.

How did you come to work with Laughing Samurai?

I had researched a couple companies. We had a PR firm and our account manager there recommended Laughing Samurai. I reached out to them and they seemed like good people.  For me, that’s the most important when it comes to doing any business - making sure that who you deal with on a daily basis seems true to their work. That’s the reason we picked them.

How much have you invested with Laughing Samurai?

Monthly we spend $2,000 to $3,000. The website development and branding was $15,000 to $20,000.

They took on Taverna Opa as well in the social media. We updated the website for Taverna Opa with them a few months ago. We are still ongoing and started around October 2014.

People have said that the website is easy to navigate and that it is easy to understand. It is key to receive feedback from our clients, so our ads on Google and Facebook help that happen. SEO and advertising are key for that to happen.

How did Laughing Samurai perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always there when I need them [Laughing Samurai] and are easy to work with. I thought that what they did was amazing and were always on top of things. If I have an idea in my head, I reach out to them and they collaborate with us.

What did you find most impressive about Laughing Samurai?

The great thing about them is that they go above and beyond with their work. If you need help with anything, they’ll be there to support you and give you feedback. With Laughing Samurai, you have more of a personal relationship.

Are there any areas Laughing Samurai could improve?

No. They’re really on it. I have nothing to complain about.

I’ve dealt with companies that can take two weeks. Within two or three days, I have something from Laughing Samurai. If I need something right away, I have it right away.
    I’d give them a 5 based on the product they produce, the pricing they offer, and in comparison to companies I have used in the past.
    They get things done right away.