Custom Software Development | Dedicated Teams

iTechArt is a top-tier, one-stop custom software development company with a talent pool of 800+ experienced engineers. We help VC-backed startups and fast-growing tech companies build successful, scalable products that users love. Our forte is agile dedicated teams of brilliant minds who rock in web, mobile, Big Data, QA & Testing, and DevOps.

2002
  • iTechArt
    3535 Roswell Road
    Marietta, GA 30062
    718.374.5043

Gain Capital (forex.com), Merkle, Oracle, Stella Service, Barchart, Scivantage, Agility Health, Fleetmatics, Etouches, Classpass, Caredox, BuildingLink, Ecovent, BeON, Primer.

Refactoring of Medical Messaging & Staff Augmentation

"The ability to reverse-engineer and figure things out blew me away."

Mar. - Aug. 2017

iTechArt augmented a healthcare communication company's team to migrate its software to a new platform. Using JavaScript and RESTful APIs, they refactored software, upgraded interfaces and DevOps, and fixed bugs.

Santa Monica, California
Employee, IT Service Company

iTechArt helped successfully refactor 4 systems and allowed in-house staff to attend to more critical tasks. The agency earned recognition for their clear and perceptive communication, exceptional problem-solving skills, and eagerness to take on a wide variety of development projects.

Tigertext is the premier clinical messaging system for healthcare providers.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

We were refactoring older software in order to make it more secure, improve our DevOps and address some bugs. The primary goal was to move the software to a newer platform we had built. We hadn’t worked with an external developer before. We do have inside resources, and hired iTechArt to supplement them.

iTechArt was integrated into our team, and given requirements through GitHub and JIRA. One concrete example of our refactoring was something we call our paging service, which is a Twilio gateway microservice. The scope of the project was to upgrade the interface with Twilio, and refactor the software, using modern JavaScript, adding a UNIX web and other similar things.

In terms of new functionalities, iTechArt worked on another project, a file-attachment feature. It worked similarly to managing an Instagram profile, and allowed for uploading and cropping images and posting them through a RESTful API as profile avatars.

Altogether, there were 2 fulltime JavaScript developers from iTechArt assigned to the project, and a business developer who helped manage communication, and handled the contract and invoicing. One of the developers was excellent, on par with our internal members, while the other was very good, but younger. I talked to Valerie, the business developer, told her what skillsets we needed, she arranged a series of interviews, and I ended up picking those 2 resources. The interviews were done via Skype, and I had a hands-on coding challenge using Codeshare.io.

I managed the developers directly, and we communicated via Skype. I generally entered tickets in GitHub, and usually synced during local nighttime. iTechArt was also available between 9 and 10 AM Pacific Time as well, in case we needed them in the morning. We interacted on a daily basis. I received status updates and answered questions regarding our RESTful API.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

I had worked on a startup project of my own 3-4 years ago. We had a big screening, since all our developers were remote. We looked at 20-30 shops, mostly in Eastern Europe, and some in Latin America. It was clear that iTechArt had skilled developers in their team. I met with their CTO, who seemed to be a sharp, technical person. I also interviewed a few of their developers, who were all bright, and had good JavaScript and C# skills.

iTechArt was the number one choice at the time, so, when I needed some temporary resources for the team this year, I went to them. They had many resources available, so it was easy. I accepted 2/2 of the developers I screened, so the quality was good. The developers were ready within a week, but the contract details took a bit longer.

Confidential. The cost was reasonable. Every hour of work seemed to be productive.

We started the current project with iTechArt at the end of March 2017, and continued for 4-5 months, until mid-August.

They helped us refactor and modernize 4 of our projects. iTechArt freed up the rest of the team, allowing them to focus on our primary strategic project, which was time-sensitive. We were working on a brand-new product, and didn’t want to distract the inhouse developers with refactoring work. iTechArt helped improve performance and stability on our current product.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always clear in terms of expectations. Anytime I assigned a new task, iTechArt chimed in on Skype and gave a time estimate. They never dragged anything on, were very clear, and, surprisingly, figured things out faster than we expected. We had some legacy spaghetti code which was not well-documented, but they did reverse-engineering and figured things out. We’ve had to onboard some new developers here, and there was always handholding, so I was impressed with iTechArt.

Communication was very good. One of the devs had perfect communication skills, while the other, although capable of speaking English, wasn’t as forthright. He needed more prodding, and to be asked specific questions. The time zone issue was the most challenging, but I’ve worked with remote teams a lot. ITechArt was as flexible as they could be, and shifted their schedule so we could communicate in the morning. There’s always a bit of a gap, and we have to anticipate that, and make sure everyone’s onboard by the time we go to bed, so that they can be productive during the night.

The ability to reverse-engineer and figure things out blew me away. I was worried that there would be a lot of handholding and downtime, but iTechArt took on tasks with very little description of what was needed. I could basically spell out what the components and objective were, and, within a day or two, they would have a good start, and always pretty much read my mind.

As an organization, there isn’t anything I could say. The junior dev is working on improving their communication skills.

Advice for prospective customers?

They’re effective in taking on tasks, using highly-skilled engineers. iTechArt is good at scoping out projects, delivering on time and acting as a strike team which can jump in and sort out things, especially with less glamorous refactoring work. They were very eager and thorough in their work. The whole experience was very positive.

Overall Score It worked out really well.
    One of the developers was perfect, but the other, more junior one, needed a bit more handholding. This was particularly tricky for me.
    The quality of the work was high, and the value was good. iTechArt was clear in terms of cost, and there were never any surprises. We had a clear contract, and all the work got done.
    iTechArt was very thorough, paid attention to detail, and used modern JavaScript platforms, which I felt was tricky.

Telecommunication Mobile App Dev

“There was no management layer between us and iTechArt’s people, which was a very good structure.”

Nov. 2016 - Feb. 2017

iTechArt developed and tested a custom dialer app that provides users with a dedicated business telephone number. The team worked with an in-house designer to build the app for iOS and Android.

New York City, New York
David Dawson
CTO, Mast Mobile

iTechArt’s flat structure allowed resources to work directly with their internal counterparts, resulting in a seamless process. The team’s devotion to the project was palpable, and they delivered an excellent product on time. iTechArt should consider adding resources for automated testing.

I work for a software startup that offers B2B solutions, providing a business phone number for your cell phone.

What challenge were you trying to address with ITechArt?

The primary aim was to get a fully native application for iOS and for Android in time for our market launch. For that, I needed experts on iOS and Android as well as a testing team.

iTechArt was an extension of the team that I had in-house. We started with the development of a second phone number application for iOS and Android. It’s a dialer app that also lets you do messaging. You can respond to your contacts via SMS and even send photos. It has dialer contact management, SMS discussion, threaded conversation views, and other features.

iTechArt selected the candidates for our team. I only had 1 iOS developer and 1 Android developer. I also had 2 testers from iTechArt who checked those apps. They also tested the website that we were building in-house. I included iTechArt in the daily stand-ups that we did with the team. Most of the planning and communication happened day to day. Our in-house designer determined what the screenshots would look like.

How did you come to work with ITechArt?

I found iTechArt through a friend who had used them before. I’ve had other vendors in the past, but I was not very happy with most of them.

How much have you invested with ITechArt?

We spent around $150,000 on this engagement.

We started working with them in October or November 2016. The app was completed in February 2017.

All of our clients have been a big fan of the app. iTechArt did an excellent job of building what we needed, and I liked the way they structured it. Their people had the skill sets we needed.

How did ITechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

They delivered everything on time and within budget. iTechArt’s people effectively acted like they’re on of our team. We had a daily stand-up, which was a conference call with everyone. We used Slack a lot too.

They also have managers at iTechArt, but you don’t really interact with them much. I did have a local contact who was effectively my account manager. I would speak with him every 2–3 weeks.

What did you find most impressive about ITechArt?

There was no management layer between us and iTechArt’s people, which was a very good structure. Some of the individuals on the team were very good technically. They were excited to be on the team. Their developers also had internal support from like-minded developers on other projects.

Are there any areas ITechArt could improve?

The only thing I ever told them to improve on was that they didn’t really have candidates on the test engineering front. Their testers do manual testing, which is fine for some things, but eventually, you want automated testing.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with ITechArt?

I think they’d be in good hands.

They were very devoted.
    You could probably find cheaper vendors out there, but they would also harder to deal with.
    They delivered everything they said they would.

Development Staff Augmentation for Consulting Firm

"I continue to use them…. They have high-quality engineering and good communication."

Oct. 2012 - Ongoing

iTechArt works often as GFData Corp’s technology partner and go-to vendor providing both backend & frontend development and support. A recent project required a staff increase to grow capacity.

Bellmore, New York
Glenn Ferrie
CEO, GFData Corp

Equally adept at backend and frontend development, iTechArt is a trustworthy and proactive technology partner that thinks about the big picture while still delivering high-quality work on a daily basis. Communication is excellent, and deadlines are met on time or ahead of schedule.

I’m CEO of GFData Corp, a small tech consulting firm based in New York. We’ve been in business for 4 years.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?
We wanted to increase our capacity to deliver projects for our customers. We build a lot of custom software, usually line-of-business applications in the enterprise space. We do a lot of work with special services firms and some legal law firms. Many times I’m filling gaps between line-of-business systems, data integrations, mobile applications, custom software, etc. I do a lot of the envisioning. Sometimes on the development end and on the testing end, I have brought iTech in to supplement my team and help me deliver the project. They might also partner with my customers as their development arm moving forward.

iTechArt is my go-to vendor. I’ve been part of other software consulting firms since 2000 doing CRM and custom software like SharePoint websites, etc. I worked with a few staffing firms with limited success. In the business I’m in, predictability is important. I was looking for a reliable partner with whom I could work long term. I’d worked with other offshore teams but the quality wasn’t there. It took a couple of times to communicate the intent of what we were trying to build. There were mistakes, and we had to build that into our own pricing. The reliability factor drove me to find a new vendor and is what has kept me with iTech.

I worked with them on iOS development and an ASP.NET program that was specifically to build out a SharePoint web page internally for a hospital network. We will have an Android phase in the future.

We collaborate with each other. We kick off a project with a face-to-face Skype meeting. We talk through project goals, timeline, and technology choices, usually with a tech lead and a developer from the team. I pick from some resumes before the meeting based on technical aptitude. They integrate seamlessly with my team. I’m the architect so I delegate the work out to the developers.

We built a mobile application for a hiring site to connect folks in the technology industry. It was a rough concept, and the client wasn’t very savvy with the design and build. iTechArt was instrumental in helping me build out the navigation. The app worked well and followed standards for the device. The developer we worked with took ownership of building something high-quality and offered suggestions along the way.

In the SharePoint space, it’s tough to design things well. I thought their ability not only to do the backend server work but also the frontend work was impressive. Usually you find teams that have one skill or the other. It’s good to see someone able to handle both sides.

There are 1 or 2 developers on the team. In the initial phase, I’ll be a developer on the project, and then I’ll have 1 or 2 developers from iTech working on it. We can ramp up or down depending on the success of the pilot. I work on it initially while they go into training mode. If the project takes off, they would bring in developers from iTech.

If a project requires a certain technology that we’re using, and they have developers in that space, they give me resumes I can review. I can have a phone interview with the developer if I have any questions. I pick the one with the best skillsets for the job, and we do a Skype call to kick off the project.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?
I was referred to them by a contact I had at Microsoft.

We’ve spent between $120,000–$130,000 over the course of our relationship.

We started working with them in October 2012, and the relationship is ongoing. I don’t have anything actively going with them now, but they might be working with some of my customers.

I don’t have any metrics, but my clients might. When I build for my clients, it’s something mission critical. To a large degree, we’ve had positive results, and the software build was definitely impactful. They produce high-quality work. I have worked with a firm based overseas that did work from PSD to HTML. I also did some work with a local group who was more of a premium partner. But now when someone approaches me with a project, I go to iTechArt when I think I’m going to close the deal.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?
I deal directly with the engineers. I will talk to them at least 3 times a week. They work midnight to noon EST, so I can talk to the developer at 7:00am to find out if there are any questions. I’m in touch with them through Slack or Skype. We usually have short timelines so there’s something new every week.

Communication is really important, and they are proactive in this regard. The tech leads reach out during the course of a project, and when I Skype with a developer, his boss will be there. When we were in the thick of development, there were times they would be on the phone with me after working hours.

They’ve never gone over budget, but I control that. They’ve always been on time or ahead of schedule. I give them a timeline, and they do it. If they come up against something unexpected, they let me know.

The positive contribution they have made to the application or software design is uncommon. A lot of times engineers just do what they’re told. Somebody who thinks about the bigger picture is a good team member.

Their ability to understand the business requirements and their communication, whether written or spoken, set them apart. The tricky thing in my business is that it’s complex both on the technical side and from a business standpoint. We’re trying to help businesses with complex business models. I’ve experienced painful situations with other companies that didn’t understand something but didn’t talk to me. They just built what they thought was the right thing. That’s the worst thing you could have when trying to stay on time and on budget.

When you’re building something that has never existed before, there’s discussion about how to do it. Although I felt they contributed well, there were times I had to push my point. They might take too much creative freedom with some areas of the project.

Are there any recommendations for potential clients?
If you think you need to hire a developer, you should have a good understanding of what you’re trying to accomplish, what your timeline is, and what your budget is. Sometimes people hire a developer first. iTech works well if you have a good sense of where you want to land and how much time you have. They will ask you those questions anyway, so it’s good to know that before you start.

Overall Score I continue to refer them and use them. It’s good to have a partner like them. I can bounce ideas off them because I trust their perspective.
    They’ve always met the deadlines.
    They are a premium over other offshore firms I’ve worked with, but the value is worth it. They get the project done quicker and on time.
    They have high-quality engineering and good communication.
    I’ve referred them multiple times for a variety of software projects.

Python Marketplace Platform Dev for Trading Platform

"We fully intend to utilize their engineering resources as our platform continues to expand."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

iTechArt provides full-stack Python-based development for a multi-platform marketplace app, transitioning the existing MVP to a scalable, end-to-end trading solution with secure verification measures across multiple releases.

Co-Founder & Product Lead, Online Trading Platform

The pre-launch web and iOS solution attracted outstanding feedback from both initial tradeshow exposure and the 5,000-user waiting list due to its streamlined UI. iTechArt’s improvisational design skills, flexible workflow, and accessibility despite time differences continue to impress.

I’m the co-founder and chief product officer of a transactional marketplace that offers frictionless buying and selling of shares in alternative assets.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

We set out to build a multi-platform application that allows users of all income levels to participate in an opaque marketplace. After working with an expensive New York-based shop for our initial internal build to create our MVP, we sought an experienced cross-disciplined team to handle all the backend and frontend development going forward, including the creation of a custom end-to-end trading platform and secure verification process for onboarding new users and handling investments. When we contacted iTechArt, we needed to continue handing off the basics and hoped they could improvise enough in order to make what we wanted and expand our vision.

iTech was able to take our basic requirements and craft a development plan for multiple releases of our mobile app and web app. They built a secure Python-based backend framework, our entire CMS and content-authoring system, and a seamless solution for quickly onboarding users in our iOS app.

They applied our requirements, which ranged from set plans including architecture docs and production files to conceptual solutions based on nothing more than quick conversations. Their team has been able to take everything we’ve handed them and deliver builds that are easy to critique, update, and build on. As our relationship has progressed, they have been able to fill in even more of the blanks. We currently utilize 2 engineers from iTechArt— a dedicated frontend and a dedicated backend developer—as well as a product manager on their side. We will be scaling up our team in the near future.

Both developers have a unique functional understanding of everything we’re doing, from start to finish. The frontend person is building our web interface, making sure that the functionalities we want are properly translated to the users, while the backend developer is handling security, CMS, and database elements.

Much of this project involves complex financial instrumentation, based on U.S. law and regulations. They’ve been able to keep up with what we’re doing, working within the regulatory structure of the United States. We hadn’t seen the same ability with other outsourced developers.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

We reached a point where we needed to choose between continuing to work with our old company, hiring internal teams, or going with iTechArt. I had worked on a couple of projects with their team before starting this company. I didn’t know exactly who they were at the time and had mainly worked as a designer, letting the business and tech leads deal with iTechArt’s team. We met them through a recommendation from a New York project manager of ours. I found out that iTechArt had worked on a ton of financial products that were similar to what we were planning with this business. There aren’t many dev shops, even in the U.S., who have as much experience with financial products like ours, so it seemed like a natural progression to sign an NDA, get their opinions and feedback, and move right into production.

We started working with iTechArt 6–7 months ago. We’re also building a web version and some other components, but the app itself—its backend and frontend structure—have been completed.

We continually receive complements about our current application and how easy it is to use, which is as much a testament to iTechArt’s work as it is to our internal design work. We recently had to create a 1-off version of our app on a standalone device for a tradeshow but with a ton of added features while keeping it securely connected to our backend. iTechArt was able to turn around the additional build, and the only issues we had were related to the spotty internet. The application worked perfectly throughout the event, and we were able to increase our user base 3x over the course of 10 days.

It’s hard to quantify their contribution exactly, as we’ve been going through a show-and-tell process for obtaining investment money. Much of the PR interest we’ve received has been based on the overall design, flow, and responsiveness of the app. In terms of metrics, we’ve seen a lot of stickiness, longer session times, and people coming back to the app, specifically stopping on the screens that do the heavy lifting as far as aggregating data. But, it’s a consumer-based app, and we haven’t had a huge sampling yet.

In terms of launch, we are trying for a 10,000-user waiting list and are about halfway there. It’s an investment app, so we’re trying to convert somewhere between 20%–25% of users into investors once they’re inside the app. We have been able to do this with a small sampling.

The user-base now is in the low thousands. We’re exceeding the numbers we anticipated. Once we’ve passed this mark, we will be able to quantify metrics. I attribute this increase directly to what iTechArt has done up to this point. In terms of stickiness, return users, and their ability to invest without any fall-off, everything can be attributed to the ease-of-use created by them.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a Slack channel on which we communicate constantly, weekly Skype video check-ins featuring both our teams, and daily check-ins when the feature development gets more intense. We also speak over the phone to give quick summaries of our goals.

We send iTechArt wireframes and basic architectures for what we consider to be our home screens. We have back-and-forth conversations about their interpretations, and they offer improvisation on-the-fly for making those features work.

During a sprint cycle, we receive builds daily or every other day and discuss them over the phone. Our workflow is a living process from start to finish, not a set situation of having all the designs, mapping, and outcome completed.

In the beginning of the contract, we communicated every day. As we jumped into the work more intensely, iTechArt’s team became comfortable talking to us and vice versa, which doesn’t always happen. They stepped into a situation where sprints had taken a different pathway. Recently, we moved to a web version of the app, which is a bit different. We had the option of adding more internal developers or continuing with the main team we had at the time.

iTechArt has been able to step in for high-level problems that need immediate solutions. We can deal with a project manager for anything related to billing, changing the structure of the contract, or adjusting the amount of work we need.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

We originally thought of iTech as a way to get from point A to point B, but we now see them as a team that can grow as we grow. We fully intend to utilize their engineering resources as our platform continues to expand.

iTechArt has been way better at meeting our expectations compared to our initial team, and they were more open to conversations. If any issue comes up, they communicate what the roadblocks might be and what we should be doing. We weren’t getting this from our first dev team.

They have a great ability to improvise. For example, we have changed 2–3 complex features around account balancing and put in third-party API integrations, as well as a whole new design into what we already have. Around 4–5 days ago, right before the weekend started, I sent over a design for the 2 developers to look at. They were able to mock-up something quickly, without even needing PSD or production files, and maintain the path we were taking. The ability to come up with these solutions on-the-fly, based only on some quick sketches and conversations, has been incredible. iTechArt’s process of figuring out what we’re thinking and coming back with opinions or half-built solutions has been impressive and very helpful for us as a small team with a small budget.

Our relationship has been cordial, and we haven’t had an issue aside from being late an invoice. When we weren’t immediately available, iTechArt waited and didn’t press us.

Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

Nothing’s ever perfect. The time difference has been tough, but iTechArt has always been available through some method of conversation. They’ve been able to compensate the 4- or 5-hour time difference in order to get things done. That may be a problem in the future, but it’s a common hurdle with outsourced teams.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with iTechArt?

The more details you can articulate building the MVP, the better the relationship will be. We’ve been in situations when we had the luxury of time while developing in closed beta, and a lot of the work was based on improvisation and communication with iTechArt. If we’d been working with a smaller budget and needed to get something done in a month, I still would feel confident handing everything to them.

When working through a remote location with developers speaking a different language, the more the client can deliver upfront, the better the handoff will be.

Overall Score iTechArt has been a great partner that shares our motivation for releasing great products.
    Even when we have been behind schedule on asset and project deliveries, they kept us on track.
    Relative to comparable U.S. development teams, the cost is a no-brainer.
    Deliverables and the communication have been great.
    I have made referrals in the past and will continue to do so.

Auxiliary App Dev for Entertainment Startup

"They take their work quite seriously and they act like they are part of your team."

Jan. 2015 - Feb. 2017

iTechArt initially handled prototyping for an iOS app, followed by backend and frontend development. They also built a database and a web extension, while providing recommendations along the way.

Startup

Seattle, Washington
Mike Conte
Founder, hotdot.tv

iTechArt met deadlines and provided value compared to other vendors. Their involvement got the app accepted into the App Store on the first try, with low crash reports. Their open and collaborative approach makes them a great asset, however, clients should know their project goals beforehand.

I’m the founder and CEO of hotdot.tv. We’re a startup and have been in operation since 2014. We make videos clickable through an iOS app with a web client browser extension which allows links to be switched over streaming videos. When a user clicks on them, they can find out more about the item and if they want to, they can buy it online.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

We used them pretty early on in our process in order to take our prototype and make it commercial, build out the backend, and flesh out the frontend. Originally, it was just the iOS app and then we expanded to the web client. They also built both database and administrative pages. They were a virtual extension of our team and they operated very much that way.

iTechArt brought to the table creative ideas on how to improve the product, but they were mostly in charge of executing. We had a working prototype and specs for additional features. We also used Pivotal Tracker quite a bit for smaller issues. If it was a pretty big part of the project, I would write a spec and we had graphics and wireframes. In some cases, I would fly out to Minsk and use a white board. iTechArt was fairly attentive even with low-level implementations, although we did collaborate on things like the scheme and overall architecture. They also recommended particular frameworks that they felt comfortable using and I was fine with that.

They delivered a well-built iOS app and a good web client and web extension. I assembled the team along with them and each time we added somebody to the team, I’d have a chance to look at some resumes and give my feedback.

We also had a structure in the beginning in which a specific team leader managed the team. Eventually, as I became more comfortable with them and vice versa, I worked with the developers directly. The team size varied; we started with 3 resources and had as many as 5 or 6 at one point.

I had multiple contacts that I talked to, including an account rep that handled all issues related to business or contracts. Sometimes, we would all meet together and I would talk to the whole team. In the latter days of the project, we would talk either as a group or individually multiple times a week.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

At the start, I wasn’t inclined to go down the outsourcing route. The main issue for me was quality; outsourcing often seems less expensive than having an employee directly on payroll, but if the product ends up being unfit for market, then it ends up being a waste of time.

I talked to some other startup CEOs who recommended iTechArt highly. I’ve done quite a bit of work with outsourcing in the past and had mixed experiences. I had concerns about how much trouble it would be to work with a remote team and that we wouldn’t get the quality that we needed. However, I was pleasantly surprised with iTechArt — they always did their best to make communication easy.

How much have you invested with iTechArt?

We’ve invested over $500,000.

We started working with them in January 2015, and the relationship ended earlier this year.

The team delivered reliable work and did their best to meet their commitments. I would gladly recommend them and be happy to use them again. We were accepted into the App Store on the first try and had very few crashes reported. We’ve had nothing but positive reviews.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

At the beginning of the project, when I was in Europe, we were only an hour or so off, so it was easy. Then, when I was on the west coast in the U.S., we were 11 hours apart so that made things a little more difficult, but it all worked out. I would talk to them early in the morning which would be their evening.

Everybody had email addresses at our company and we would have meetings a couple of times a week over Skype. I visited them half a dozen times in Minsk, so we worked closely together but project management was mostly on my plate. The developers did their best to estimate the work and to manage the project, but I think that this is pretty typical for other teams that I’ve worked with.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

iTechArt seems to have access to a big group of talented and hardworking developers. Hiring talented and hardworking developers in the U.S. is not the easiest; it’s a very competitive market and it’s expensive to get somebody good. iTechArt made it easy for us to have quality people and if we needed to ramp the team up or down, it was straightforward and seamless.

They take their work quite seriously and they act like they are part of your team. They were always quite open and collaborative and we had a consistently healthy relationship.

They structure their projects in a smart way, which makes their team more dedicated. They get paid by the hour and behave very much like part of your team, which is the healthiest thing for a long-term commitment. It may not be the right thing for somebody who just wants a game built in a month, but it was exactly what we wanted. We wanted to have a real engineering asset, and that is what they were to us.​

​​​​​​Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

Nobody’s perfect, but I think there’s nothing unusual about them — they’re a strong team. Everybody can look back and want to do things differently, but that’s been true for me even at Microsoft and other companies.

Potential clients will get the most out of iTechArt if they do their homework. If you have a clear idea of the product and an architecture already laid out, that’s going to be the basis for a good, clear conversation with iTechArt and less time will be wasted. If you’re building a product for the US market that has particular cultural elements, it’s not fair to expect that a team in Belarus will figure out what that market wants. The job is on you to figure out your product and product market fit.

I’ve never known a software project to ship early or ship on time, but they did a great job compared to typical software developers For the most part, the project management was on my side.
    There are people who are less expensive. It’s a little unfortunate that the rates were pinned to a dollar because when the currency fluctuations happened, it would have been very much to our advantage but we ended up paying the same rate.
    They did a good job and kept me advised. I had no bad surprises and we got a lot of work done. I was able to compare our output to other similarly funded companies and I was pleased with how much we accomplished.
    I have already.

Web Dev for Digital Currency Company

"[B]oth engineers from iTechArt’s team brainstormed solutions which went beyond the official scope of their duties."

Mar. - Apr. 2017

iTechArt helped design and develop a web-based gaming tool. It included an admin CMS and a functionality to determine virtual currency’s real value, respective of changing rates and several countries.

Startup

New York City Area
Angelo Ngai
Co-founder, RedKoin Inc.

iTechArt delivered quality work and was realistic in their estimates. They were professional, and provided valuable insights and extra hours to supplement internal teams. Although there was no language barrier, they could be clearer and simpler in describing bugs and fixes to further build trust.

I am a co-founder of a startup, along with a college friend. We have made a big pivot recently, but the initial work we commissioned with iTechArt was for an online tool which helped gamers convert fictional in-game currencies into actual dollar amounts.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

Our goal was to attract a slice of gamers across multiple platforms and games, and bring them to the same place. There are many similar tools made by 3rd parties, but they tend to focus on individual games, and don’t necessarily have appeal to wide audiences. We would be focusing on the most popular titles of the day, and making an effort to pull those gamers onto our own website.

We have worked with 2 of iTechArt’s engineers to set up our web page from scratch. We met with our developers on a daily basis, and worked directly.

We had a rough idea of what we wanted, and showed iTechArt an initial wireframe, but they expressed that it would be more efficient to have their own designers work in tandem with the developers. We didn’t have experience working with 3rd parties, but we didn’t see a problem in going forward with just a rough wireframe. It was one long, continuous process of figuring out UI/UX functionalities, and making aesthetic tweaks on our end.

iTechArt built a functionality which enabled us to convert a virtual currency to any real one we wanted. More importantly, they built an admin page which allowed us to manage those rates, taking into account the differences from one country to another. The tool can group digital assets and calculate their value automatically.

It’s nothing that a person can’t do on their own using basic arithmetic, but there are multiple steps involved in the process, given that the point of a virtual currency is to obscure real pricing, similar to buying casino chips. Prices are often noted in a way which doesn’t make intuitive sense, so that people are less aware of how much they’re spending. Our tool takes this complexity and brings back a dollar price for whatever is being sold.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

I was introduced to the company by a close friend who works for them. I would’ve had many concerns working with a 3rd party software developer if I didn’t have a personal connection. Because I had complete confidence in that person, I knew that I could take faith in his recommendation, and knew that I wouldn’t experience any delays of other typical issues for this context.

How much have you invested with iTechArt?

The cost of their work has been just under $20,000.

We started working with iTechArt at the beginning of March 2017, and finished in late April.

There were many considerations which went into this project. It wasn’t that it didn’t go as well as we’d expected, but we stopped working on it prematurely. It was no fault of iTechArt’s, and, in terms of our own satisfaction, the platform did exactly what we wanted it to.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

I found them to be professional, fast, and realistic. The team gave us accurate estimates, and were helpful in situations when we didn’t know how to best display something. Instead of only building what they were hired to build, both engineers from iTechArt’s team brainstormed solutions which went beyond the official scope of their duties.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

I found it fascinating that they were able to deliver whatever we wanted. There was nothing which went outside the parameters of their skillsets. My impression was that iTechArt handled everything we threw at them, even when it seemed different from what we originally described. Our platform wasn’t overly complicated, but there is a degree of specialization which goes into software development.

Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

There was an existing degree of trust which came from my contact in the company, and the fact that my partner speaks Russian, so we never felt a barrier in terms of language. In a situation where there would be a possibility for mistrust, it would help if iTechArt communicated bugs and other issues in simple language. This is not an issue which can be solved, and it simply requires patience from the client. They can articulate themselves clearly, but it’s not the same as working with native English speakers. Other than this, we had a positive experience working with iTechArt.

We considered them to be a team away from our team, and iTechArt actually acted in this capacity in terms of commitment to the project. Some companies probably aren’t hiring engineers with the thought of having them on-staff for the foreseeable future, but rather for completing specific projects with a finite deadline. If this is the case, it’s better to be as certain as possible that the specs being put in front of the engineers are the same as what the client wants them to make. Any tweaks during the process will make things take longer in a way which can’t be anticipated.

Overall Score Based on the level of professionalism, the price, and the fact that iTechArt delivered everything by the promised time.
    I see scheduling as the duty of the client. At the end of the day, we need to think about what we need to prioritize, so any missed deadlines were on us. iTechArt was open and communicated well.
    They’re not the cheapest outfit to work with, but they’re reasonably-priced, compared to skilled engineers in the U.S.
    There was never a doubt that iTechArt was delivering in all aspects promised.
    My only caveat would be that I have to consider if the person is in a good place to hire engineers, period.

Supplementary Architecture Dev for IoT Startup

"iTechArt has done a good job of building a large team that can scale."

Aug. 2015 - Aug. 2016

iTechArt supplied senior engineering resources to build a cloud-based backend infrastructure for an IoT product, adopting Agile Scrum processes while collaboratively designing the architecture.

11- 50 Employees

Boston, Massachusetts
Former VP of Engineering, IoT Manufacturer

The finished solution functions reliably in the field and allows easy feature additions, thanks to iTechArt’s expertise in both project management and applied technology. The team’s responsiveness, flexibility, and seamless integration with in-house staff contributed to a rewarding partnership.

I am the CTO and a co-founder of an online marketplace for custom part manufacturing. I worked with iTechArt for a previous startup, where I was the VP of engineering. The company was an Internet of things [IoT] firm in Boston working on room-by-room temperature control for homes with forced-air heating and cooling.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

My previous company had finished fundraising and was looking to scale the engineering team quickly with senior talent in order to build a cloud infrastructure.

With iTechArt, we focused on the scalability of the cloud backend for our IoT product. Multiple devices were connecting to it for remote access and data collection. We needed to build and implement a scalable architecture that could grow with our business and fill a bunch of required functions.

We had cloud-based web services in place before starting the work with iTechArt, but, in order to scale, we brought them in to create a more mature architecture.

Our staff numbers varied, starting with 2 people from iTechArt’s side and ramping up along the way. I had 1 point of contact on the business side. When we decided that we needed more people, I told him which skillsets and ranges I wanted, go over resumes with their managers, and conduct interviews. My interactions with the management took place every 2 weeks, and I spoke daily with the team members. The resources came in as full members of the engineering group and provided a quick way of scaling our team with the right expertise. iTechArt adopted our Agile Scrum process and worked with us on building and designing the architecture.

They advised us on creating a distributed microservice platform with a publish/subscribe bus and built a scalable socket server to keep the connection open with all our IoT devices in the field.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

We received a strong referral from another Boston startup that had a great experience with iTechArt. This was the biggest factor in our choice, but I also liked their approach of joining our own team’s sprints rather than committing to a fixed project. Many companies’ pitches involve asking the client what they need and offering a quote. In my experience, this type of project doesn’t end well. Since we had a local engineering team and no clear specifications of exactly what we needed to build, I was much more interested in finding full-time dedicated resources. It was a smooth selection process.

We started the project in August of 2015 and worked together for a year.

We have a scalable, reliable cloud backend that powers our product in the field. It evolved successfully as the business grew, and we were able to add features when needed. It’s based on open-source technology, which allowed us to own the cloud architecture. Many startups would have been forced to partner with an IoT backend-as-a-service, basically trapping that product and data in a third-party system. As a result, we completely own our data and the whole cloud architecture, which became a differentiator for the company.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

They outlined the expectations on both sides early in the project. We intentionally didn’t have a clearly defined scope, budget, or schedule. iTechArt compiled a team that could succeed and set expectations about resource allocation and deadlines. They were responsive when we needed to scale the team and were always available to offer management or architecture expertise.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

They have a lot of senior, talented engineers who are experienced building hot technologies and architectures. The biggest differentiator for me, as a hiring manager in Boston, is being able to have access to senior people with experience at a reasonable price. This is almost impossible to find, but iTechArt has done a good job of building a large team that can scale along with a company and offering the right talent.

Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

I have nothing specific to share.

It’s important to find people who will be a part of your team. I’m sure that iTechArt can engage with customers in other ways, but having local technical people involved contributed to our success. If a few business co-founders had been running the whole project and the development was completely outsourced, we would’ve had difficulties. I have done reference calls for people looking to hire iTechArt, and I always say that the team will become a part of your group, so they need to be involved in the day-to-day and week-to-week management of the technical work. If you're looking for a hands-off experience, iTechArt may not be the right fit.

Overall Score They meet my expectations.
    When we made our deadlines and business priorities clear, iTechArt made every effort to meet those goals.
    The work is high-value, but there’s a corresponding price. Other regions and companies have lower costs, but iTechArt is a high-end outsourcing firm.
    They consistently delivered team members who met the skill and experience levels we asked for.
    I've referred them to others and used iTechArt again myself.

Multiple Dev for Software Consulting Agency

“I can say that iTechArt has a 100% success rate, and that's rare in the software world.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Jan 2013 - Ongoing

Since 2013, subcontracted developers from iTechArt have provided top-notch technical services for web development projects. Past projects include mission-critical tools as well as complex apps.

11- 50 Employees

Colorado
Founder/CTO, Consultancy

iTechArt is a trusted partner, which is not surprising given their reliability, expertise, and strategic management. Turnover is low, thanks to the company’s commitment to resource development.

I own an offshore software consultancy agency that has domestic project management and overseas development teams. We’ve been working with different teams for 15–20 years.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

Since we have a 100% offshore model, we are always looking for reliable vendors. At that time, we were looking for a team that could provide top-notch development services, professionalism, and stability. It was also important that they had the leadership to maintain quality. It was a huge challenge.

Currently, iTechArt is the primary team that we work with. They handle a wide variety of web and mobile projects. Each project starts differently. Generally, we’d start with a spec or we’d do an Agile iteration process. iTechArt does a lot of Python development and some .NET and Java work. Other projects include financial services technology and an online gaming platform. In the past, iTechArt did some pretty challenging app work as well as very complicated, mission-critical side migration tools.

iTechArt has a large number of developers who can handle most development needs. I would sometimes fly out to work with the team and help it grow. We use anywhere from 2–20 on a project. Sometimes, they would just find resources for the project for me since the requirements change all the time. We communicate with them daily. We have one top-level contact, and we also work with different teams. They have permanent staff in the U.S., which means they have the ability to execute non-disclosure agreements and other agreements under U.S. jurisdiction.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

We’re in the business of choosing offshore teams. Some of the factors we looked for are stability, quality, good retention, solid leadership, and good processes. Like most clients, we tried a few teams before finding the right one.

How much have you invested with iTechArt?

We’ve outsourced millions of dollars’ worth of software projects to iTechArt.

We partnered with iTechArt repeatedly with great success. iTechArt has now completed many projects for us.

I can say that iTechArt has a 100% success rate, and that's rare in the software world. What sets iTechArt apart is that the company is managed well and highly stable. It doesn’t suffer from the same level of attrition or other challenges that impact quality at so many companies in the IT space.

Most of the specific results were for our clients. We’ve experienced a lot of growth and profit throughout the years we’ve worked with them.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

The client usually determines the schedule and budget for each project. iTechArt is extremely proactive about issues such as changing requirements on our side and changing resources on their side. They plan long-term and ensure that the best resources are in place.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

This is a company that is serious about maintaining quality by providing great leadership and management. They put a lot of time into keeping their teams happy, which is one of the main keys to success in this business. The management does a really good job of keeping morale up. They help their developers keep their careers on track, making sure they’re working on interesting projects. They have a strong sense of direction. They know where they’re going and what they’re doing.

Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

Not really. They’re the number-one software vendor that we work with.

Overall Score They are excellent. They are our top vendor.
    They’re on schedule, based on what you would expect from a service company. iTechArt’s team is extremely responsive and do what they say they’re going to do. They’re there when we need them.
    They’re not the cheapest vendor, but they definitely provide great value.
    They’ve done an excellent job for us for years.
    We refer them to our clients all the time. I highly recommend them.

App Dev for Online Platform

“They proceed professionally—no cutting corners, no ambiguity, no rushing into things before they know what they’re doing.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Nov 2013 - Ongoing

ITechArt built a web platform that allows the occupants of high-rise buildings to interact, even in areas with poor Internet connectivity. The project team also handles other mobile app projects.

CEO and Founder, Online Platform

ITechArt’s engineers excel at creating unique and innovative solutions that require out-of-the-box thinking. ITechArt’s team is methodical and professional. They manage expectations well and prefer to work with clients who already have a clear product concept.

We provide an online collaboration platform for people that manage, work in, and live in residential high-rise buildings. I’m the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

We wanted to build a local application that could use local storage and sync to our website. The app would be suitable for buildings and countries where the Internet isn’t fast enough to use a web application. We also had a lot of mobile app development needs. Our own staff was stretched much too thin to be able to get everything done.

iTechArt worked on multiple difficult projects for us, including a web application. They built the local WPF [Windows Presentation Foundation] programs using the local Microsoft SQL Express, linking the background and web services to Microsoft SQL Server. This is a touchscreen-enabled version, with a local database of our web application that syncs with a cloud database. They built native iPhone and Android apps for us. They also built a local application that integrates hardware so that it can be easily accessed by a web browser from a printer, webcam, or fingerprint scanner. They built us a middleware product called Connector that mediates between the hardware installed on a PC and web browsers running on that PC. They’ve also done QA work.

We started with two engineers and now we’re up to 23. We communicated with the project managers. One was for mobile, while the overall project manager ran the desktop and Connector and WPF. There were 5–7 resources that we would talk to on our conference calls when we needed a full team meeting. All of the people were developers, including the project managers.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

I was tracking this company that had a really cool iPhone app that lets you create iPhone apps. When they went out of business, I tried to hire the founder. He recommended I hire iTechArt because they are the ones who built the app.

How much have you invested with iTechArt?

We’ve spent over $1 million.

We’ve been working with them since November 2013, and the work is ongoing.

The biggest metric is the fact that we’ve grown their staff more than our own, and that we’ve shifted work that we were doing with our own people over to them, including the QA stuff. They’re doing QA for us on the work that we’re doing. Their part of the company is growing faster than our company.

We build unique products. This product called Connector is really a unique product that Microsoft should have built. You ought to be able to click on something and see all the hardware on your computer—what’s working and not working—be able to test it from one place. The success story is that we are a third of the way through converting our 3,000 clients to this Connector platform, where the web browsers talk to the hardware, and it’s running beautifully. We’ve had almost no problems with the installations. Without Connector, you’re reliant on all sorts of ActiveX and plug-ins to make your browser talk to hardware, which is not what browsers natively want to do. I would say the install has been beautiful. The drop in support calls on Connector has been very noticeable. The clients that have installed it have had almost no service support calls regarding hardware talking to their browser. We also have some very good initial success on a new mobile OCR [optical character recognition] package receiving app we’re working on that is in the early development stages. iTechArt does good work with us on innovative products. Customers find these products exciting because they’re innovative.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very methodical and very professional. We do two-week sprints. I would say that progress has been within good expectations. A lot of things that they’re working on are challenging, and we don’t always have a clear method for how to make it happen. We have no complaints.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

They are serious engineers. They like to build things in a way that they understand and that they think is the right way to build it. They proceed professionally—no cutting corners, no ambiguity, no rushing into things before they know what they’re doing. They define themselves as being suited best to people who know what they want to build and are ready to build it, versus somebody with an early startup idea.

They have very good processes. If somebody wants to talk to them about starting a project, they are methodical enough to step through the decision processes to decide if it’s a good fit, both for you and for them. They do a reasonably serious job of understanding enough what a new customer wants and making sure that they are able to deliver it before accepting the work. They verify that whatever job they’re undertaking is the kind of job with the right expectations. At the end of the day, they make sure that the customer will happy with the results.

Not really.

Overall Score It was a good experience.
    Deadlines and deliverables are not clear when you’re dealing with things that can often turn out to be harder than you first thought.
    Their costs are between India and the US, but much more reasonable than US pricing. They have a good supply of good engineers, so the ability to find and scale up is also valuable.
    The quality is good in terms of deliverables and communication.
    I’d be happy to recommend them, with the caveat that I rely on them to do their own intake to make sure the work suits what they’re strongest at. Their aim is to have 100% happy customers.

App Dev for Security System

"iTechArt can scale with us as we grow, and they can do it fast."

2015 - Ongoing

iTechArt assisted with the development of a flagship mobile app (iOS and Android), allocating a specialized resource for each platform version. The team now provides QA testing and updates as needed.

Cambridge, Massachussetts
Martin Forest
CTO, BeON Home

Thanks to iTechArt’s expert coding and accurate designs, the solution allows rapid implementation of new features and functionalities. Their broad experience, responsiveness, and integrated team members continue to support a productive engagement.

BeON Home provides home-security lighting products that are used for protection while the occupants are away. Specifically, our product consists of a lightbulb and mobile app which activates the security mode. The devices learn a person’s pattern and, when they are away, make it look like someone’s home by turning on the lights automatically. The device can also hear the sound of a doorbell and will turn on in a sequence, making it look like someone is coming to the door. I am a co-founder and the CTO of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with iTechArt?

Our company is located in Boston. When we started it in 2013, it was a small startup, and we were trying to recruit mobile engineers who could help us build our first iOS app. We interviewed and tried to find people through our network, but it was simply hard to find someone who was qualified, wanted to join the team, and would be willing to be paid a startup rate. We started looking at alternatives, namely companies who provided this kind of work in Boston, Europe, Russia, and India. We came across iTechArt and have been very impressed with the professionalism of the company, how they presented themselves, and the product they provided. It was close to what we needed, so we went ahead with the project.

The first project involved building the iOS app that would launch with our product. It was the work of one developer from iTechArt, who was assigned full-time to our project. He ended up coming to our site for one month. In terms of coding, we used Objective-C. Our technology uses Bluetooth for connecting to the lights. This engineer had experience in working with embedded systems and knew about communication protocols. He was able to dive in and quickly make a functional app.

Our other developer from iTechArt’s team specialized in Android Java development and has built that version in collaboration with the first developer. Although we wanted to have apps on both platforms, we didn’t want to use a hybrid tool since we believed that native coding would provide a better experience on each platform, especially when it came to Bluetooth communication.

We have also built a backend cloud server which keeps track of accounts and helps us with technical support.

Around one year ago, we had four people working for us on iTechArt’s team. Most of the time, we used three resources and added an extra developer for about two months in order to increase the output. Beyond developing mobile apps, iTechArt also has experienced engineers for the cloud side, as well as QA. We have used one resource for all the testing on the app, mostly manual testing.

iTechArt’s engineers have become a part of our team, and the people working for us are not involved in any other projects. There was some documentation which we provided initially, but we also spent a lot of time on-site with iTechArt’s team, allowing them to deduce how our product should work. We were able to make a lot of progress quickly. When they returned to their location in Belarus, we continued working together through video-conferencing and tracking tools, including Trello.

How did you come to work with iTechArt?

They were referred by one of my friends, who was working at Oracle. He mentioned working with iTechArt in the past for the company, so I contacted them, and we got going soon after.

How much have you invested with iTechArt?

The cost of iTechArt’s work has been above $200,000.

We started working with iTechArt around 2015 and have an ongoing collaboration.

The speed at which we’ve been able to bring new features to the app speaks for itself. We communicate with iTechArt’s team several times a week, and they’ve been able to deliver well-coded working solutions fast. I’ve reviewed the code often, and it’s very well-done. I also like the fact that our team lead has transferred our way of thinking to the other people on iTechArt’s side, so there is a level of established quality. He reviews the code himself and also works with the QA person, creating an autonomous process. I’ve only needed to visit them once, and that was for furthering the relationship. Since iTechArt is located abroad, it’s good to have some face-time at least once a year.

In terms of quality metrics, I would mention iTechArt’s understanding of our required speed for development and implementation. The work is usually done right the first time.

How did iTechArt perform from a project management standpoint?

We have video calls two times a week and chat on Slack very often. Between those times, we use Trello for tracking issue cards. We can keep track of what’s important at a given moment.

What did you find most impressive about iTechArt?

I appreciated the way in which the management team understood what we needed and their ability to put us in touch with the right engineer inside the organization. It was a shoe-in fit for us. In terms of passion and what their people are really interested in, iTechArt does a good job of making assignments. They work a lot with startups, which is a more interesting field than working for a bank, for example. They can attract a good level of high-quality engineers, who want to get involved.

iTechArt is also very flexible and used to working in the startup world. Things can change quickly here, and situations put us in different places in terms of needs. iTechArt can scale with us as we grow, and they can do it fast.

Are there any areas iTechArt could improve?

No, they’ve been a tremendous part of our team, and I consider iTechArt a part of our company. This isn’t really iTechArt’s fault, but it is hard to ship items to their part of the world since packages have to go through Russia first. There have been some challenges with this, as well as with getting visas. It can be cumbersome, but it’s out of their control.

As a startup founder, I talk with different entrepreneurs and people in the industry. When I hear that someone is looking to build an app or needs additional help on a cloud application, I will often mention iTechArt and provide an intro if necessary. This has happened on two occasions, and iTechArt captured the attention of clients who were also looking at working with different companies.

Overall Score The experience has been very good. For every project we start that involves an app or other software, we will think about iTechArt before other options.
    There are times when we’ve needed to work an extra hour. It didn’t matter if I pinged the engineer on Slack at 10:00 pm his time, he still committed to get the work done. This is partially due to the culture iTechArt has established with their engineers.
    There are less expensive options, but we get a good value. We’re not trying to find the cheapest labor but the right fit. As a startup, it’s hard to find people willing to settle for equity instead of a large salary, but iTechArt has been good for us.
    Their engineers, managers, and executives want to work with their customers, making sure they’re successful. They’re very flexible in this sense.