iOS / Android / WinPhone app development

We have been working since 2007 and dealing with development of applications for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Our head office with our team is located in Rostov-on-Don. We create applications for clients from different spheres of activity – for business community, educational institutions and advertising and entertainment industry. We work thoroughly on each project, conduct design research and learn new technologies.

The company employees are inquisitive professionals with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in each sphere of activity. Decisions taken in the course of development are aimed at application’s success and we always demonstrate their feasibility to clients.

2007
Rostov-on-Don, Russia
headquaters
  • Iron Water Studio
    Dolomanovsky, 70D, office 701
    Rostov-on-Don, ROS 344011
    Russia
    +78633031063

Children sport foundation, Sletat.ru, EKA, Land Rover, Moscow Metro, Helix, Geocenter, MediaMarkt, Tomato Pizza.

Apartment complex "Vlubertsy"

Platform Development for Music Webcast Company

"They produced a straightforward technical solution very quickly."

With the goal of conducting a successful live webcast across multiple platforms, the client hired Iron Water Studio to provide video coding services.

Moscow, Russia
Anton Gopka
Founder, ParaClassics

Iron Water Studio performed well for the client by delivering excellent work within the given deadlines. The agency is praised for their transparency, professionalism, and efficient communication and is recommended to others.

Our company is called ParaClassics. We do live webcasts of classical music events from all around the world. We started in Russia, and then expanded to Europe, where we did some orchestra performances, ballets and operas from Germany. Finally, we came to Detroit, Michigan, in the United States. We have become a global platform for live webcasts of major classical music festivals.

I'm the founder and owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Iron Water Studio?

The major challenge is the live webcast itself. It's a tough task in terms of reliability and being able to broadcast across all platforms. We have to do all the video coding to have it show up on major platforms. Then, obviously, in the culture of the Internet, we have to do adaptive streaming globally, delivering the signal everywhere.

Sometimes, we have up to 100,000 simultaneous viewers when there's a premiere of some ballet from St. Petersburg in Russia. We did everything on our own platform. At the point we started, YouTube was not available for live viewing. We did the whole platform from scratch with Iron Water Studio.

Please describe the scope of their involvement in detail. If possible, provide any information you have about the technologies used by Iron Water Studio.

Initially, ParaClassics was  a Wikipedia for classical music. We worked for three years with that intention. It was a very different project at that point from what it eventually became. Then, we received a commission in 2011 from the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation to do the webcast of the Tchaikovsky competition, which is one of the largest music competitions in the world. That was the time when we began working with Iron Water Studio. I wanted to work with them and had full confidence in them.

Together, we transformed the ParaClassics website from a Wikipedia informational website to a webcast platform for the Tchaikovsky competition. Iron Water Studio did the IT [informational technology] side. To be specific, they made the desktop version for the live webcast, and that was a tough task. Then, they did the interface. In a normal musical competition, there will be just one hall with events happening every day that needs to be webcast. In the Tchaikovsky competition, there were seven halls in Moscow and St. Petersburg. There were often four live, simultaneous events. We had to think about what the interface should look like to show all these events in a way that would allow viewers to open up the different events and keep viewing them comfortably. Even though there were four events happening simultaneously, the viewer could actually follow all four. It was a crazy task and a crazy project.

On the desktop side, Iron Water Studio also did the database design – essentially everything. For the Tchaikovsky competition, they did an iPad application completely from scratch. I did most of the design but, otherwise, the app was done fully by the team.

In addition, Iron Water Studio advised us on technical solutions. This was always important in showing us how to plug all the hardware into the content delivery networks. There were two content delivery networks, one for Russia and one for the U.S. and the rest of the world. Iron Water Studio managed to coordinate everything so that we were able to use two content delivery networks simultaneously based on location. Also, they helped and advised us on the hardware solutions and managed to cope with the load of hundreds of thousands of viewers. For the Tchaikovsky competition, we had 5 million views and 200,000 unique viewers in two weeks. For classical music in 2011, this was a huge project. I think it could be compared to any major sports event in the world.

Silverlight allowed us to show a live webcast organically on an iPad simultaneously, so that was the best solution. We used Silverlight and generally used the Microsoft .NET platform. We use Microsoft SQL and JavaScript on the website.

How did you come to work with Iron Water Studio?

Initially, I received a recommendation from a friend. Before that, I used two or three other firms, none of which I liked. I wasted a lot of money on that and was switching firms within two or three months.

I was working directly with the people who were coding and designing. They were very different from the other companies. I was comfortable working with them because they understood very quickly what I needed. They were very transparent. Once I found them, they were an obvious choice for me.

We've spent somewhere between $10,000 and $50,000 working with Iron Water Studio.

ParaClassics was completed fully three years after the Tchaikovsky competition. It worked without any additions or involvement from my end. There was no need for any additional programming. It stayed on the web and showed 300 hours of video in full high definition. It's great. This was one of the largest archives of classical music for free. Unfortunately, Silverlight is no longer supporting the platform. We now need a major review and update of the system.

How did Iron Water Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

It was fantastic. First of all, this was a live webcast, so we had very strict deadlines. It was tough. Iron Water Studio met all the deadlines, was very transparent, and had good communication in managing my expectations. They were very professional.

What distinguishes Iron Water Studio from other providers?

First, it was the way they understood the tasks. They produced a straightforward technical solution very quickly. It's a very formal structure and quite clear, which programmers can work with and I can work with as well. Their work was amazing.

Secondly, they were very flexible. I liked the fact that I could surface any crazy idea, and they would start working on that. I would say draft something, and they would show it to me right away. Then, I could make my decision whether that makes sense, and we should continue working on that or not. Sometimes, I would have a very crazy idea, and I would expect somebody to do something in a couple weeks, and then show me the results. They were very interactive, flexible, transparent, and responsive. I could get the technical assignment quickly, and I could get some draft implementation right away to assess how it would interact with the user. It was great.

Is there anything Iron Water Studio could have improved or done differently?

The only thing that I had issues with was admittedly subjective, but it was the design. I have my own view on everything, but design, again, is very subjective. In the iPad application, for example, I did the design myself because I had my own specific view of what it should look like. Design issues would probably not be a problem with other clients, but I had my own view on the design.

Overall Score again. These are great guys.
    again. They worked very well.
    At least, at that point in time, it was great.
    For sure.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Mobile App Development for Health Nonprofit

"Iron Water Studio was very involved in the project. ... They always suggest improving or upgrading, so we like it."

The client hired Iron Water Studio to assist with their multi-platform app which included work on the technical design specification and graphical design.

Moscow, Russia
Daria Lozovaya
Project Manager, Children Sport Foundation

Iron Water Studio contributed to a successful app that is widely used and receives overwhelmingly positive feedback. The client praises the agency for their personal approach and good attitude and highly recommend them to others.

We are children's sports nonprofit organization. Active Kids Project is a project like Let's Move, but based in Russia. Our main task is to tackle the problem of physical inactivity. Kids don't move enough, and it influences their mental and physical health.

I am a project manager at the organization.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Iron Water Studio?

We create different projects that we implement in schools in Russia, which help children to get active. One of our projects is an app called Actiplay. We had to find a developer for this application, and that's how we found Iron Water Studio.

They helped us with technical design specification, so they helped us design and develop it. They also helped us with the graphical design. This application is for kids, about 10 or 12 years old, so they had a task to create a graphical design for children. They have done it, and we like the results. They also developed two applications for Android and for iOS and web version as well.

How did you come to work with Iron Water Studio?

We found a ranking of the best Russian developers and emailed the top 10. We received several answers. Iron Water Studio's proposal was the best. We also like their attitude and their interest in our project.

It was about 5 million rubles [approximately $76,000].

We're still working with them.

Kids really like this application. They use it twice a year during the game period. Each game period lasts for three weeks. During these weeks, children have to be active and record their activities in this application, so it's a signal striker. They can [punch] for their activities.

In game periods, we had it at the end of the last year, and we had 1,000 users. Today, we have recorded about 3 million minutes of activity during these weeks, so we can say that this application is popular with children, and they like using it. Their parents also thank us because, for the first time, they decided to go out and be active in the weekend instead of staying at home with their smartphones.

How did Iron Water Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

I must say that it's always more difficult to work on a project remotely, so we work via Skype. Of course, it provoked some problems because, sometimes, it's hard to describe what we want. For us, there were some delays, but they were not critical.

What distinguishes Iron Water Studio from other providers?

As far as our project manager in this company, he is a father himself and, we believe, chosen in this project because he wants his children to be healthy and wealthy and wise when they grow up. He understands this problem of physical inactivity and wants to help. Iron Water Studio was very involved in the project. We liked their personal approach and attitude. They always suggest different technical solutions. They always suggest improving or upgrading, so we like it.

Is there anything Iron Water Studio could have improved or done differently?