Creative shop for CMOs with big issues to address

Interplanetary was built for CMO’s with large issues to address who have growth challenges, are under pressure to make changes and are looking to solve real business issues. We are a creative multidisciplinary advertising agency run by five partners with a history of getting results. We love advertising. And love proving you don't need a big agency to grow your brand. Just a big idea.

Our founders are seasoned pros (22 categories, 227 brands, an average 33 years learning our craft) with many years integrating brand advertising, digital marketing and direct response. Our experience spans global and targeted campaigns, blue chips and startups. Our work has consistently won top honors at the award shows. Our partners have collaborated for many years at several of the world’s largest advertising agencies and bring a diverse set of expertise across marketing, strategy and creative disciplines.

When we say we’re hands on, we mean our hands. We personally lead the strategic branding, creative branding, content development and production. We get inside your infrastructure and help you move more intelligently to market. We educate, fill resource gaps, bring specialized partners to the table. We team with you to make sure the creative not only causes change but truly reflects your organization.

We create work that has a demonstrable effect on the target, such as a sale or initiating an inquiry or strengthening a customer bond because we want to engage consumers and drive return on investment in a significant way.

Our sweet spot is launching broad campaigns across brand advertising, digital and direct marketing and it is this diverse experience that contributes to our success in creating more effective brands. We have deep expertise in the financial services, healthcare and nonprofit categories. Going forward we are particularly focused on the impact of technology on these categories.

New York, NY
headquaters
  • Interplanetary
    175 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014
    (212) 488-IPNY (4769)

City of Hope Medical and Research Center, Thirteen (WNET PBS NY), Weizmann Institute of Science, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Alliance For Cancer Gene Therapy, E*TRADE, Astoria Bank, and a major west coast Investment Advisor for high net worth private clients.

Brand Campaign for Health Non-Profit

“We finally had a brand that we could be proud of, with a message that we could rally behind.”

1,000,000 - 9,999,999

2012 - July 2016

Interplanetary led a comprehensive brand campaign that raised awareness about blood cancers. The team came up with the overall strategy, developed a brand guide, and created marketing assets for various media.

1001-5000

New York
Senior Director of Marketing, Non-Profit Organization

Interplanetary’s campaign received positive feedback from stakeholders nationwide. The team helped increase local awareness about the organization and its advocacy. The brand concept is still being used by the organization.

I’m the senior director of marketing for a large non-profit agency devoted to finding cures for blood cancers. Our organization has more than 50 chapters across the country. We have a number of services for patients, and we raise our money through major fundraising campaigns. I head up the marketing for all of the campaigns as well as the marketing on our website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interplanetary?

The original challenge 5 years ago was to launch a branding campaign for the organization. Because our campaigns were so popular, people knew more about our campaigns than our actual agency.

Interplanetary came up with the brand concept that we still use today. The original scope involved putting together a roadmap for rolling out the brand campaign and the projected cost. They structured our brand voice, architecture, colors, and fonts. They executed all the different elements.

Interplanetary developed traditional and digital assets for billboards, print ads, posters, and digital ads for the brand campaign.  They also helped us significantly in working with local markets across the country. For example, we had different print ad sizes for local magazines.

The most significant investment was coming up with a number of TV and radio spots for public service announcements. Interplanetary did about 7 high-quality PSA spots for us. We ran most of them as PSAs because we didn’t have the money to run paid media.

How did you come to work with Interplanetary?

I was not really involved in that. My boss at the time knew them from her previous job. She had a personal connection and kept in touch with them.

How much have you invested with Interplanetary?

We paid them a monthly retainer. The total cost of doing the work was about $2 million.

We started working with them 5 years ago until about July 2016.

We noticed that brand awareness increased in the markets where we ran certain media launches of the campaign. The more we invested, the higher the jump in awareness. We also got great qualitative feedback. Our different chapters accepted the branding quite well, as did their boards. We’re very happy to have a solid message behind our brand.

How did Interplanetary perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed very well especially when we did the local stuff. There were so many details, but Interplanetary’s team was great. They were good at communicating how projects were coming along and keeping the deadlines we set.

What did you find most impressive about Interplanetary?

Interplanetary dove in and thought very strategically about things. We finally had a brand that we could be proud of, with a message that we could rally behind. The quality of the TV spots was excellent as well.

Are there any areas Interplanetary could improve?

They could have been a little more edgy, with a fresher and more modern perspective. Still, their work was good.

They were on time, for the most part. Other times, we wanted to get things done a little sooner.
    It was a little harder for us as a non-profit sometimes.
    This is because of the strategic thinking that went behind their work. We looked back at some of their work and they were good, but they could have been a little edgier.
    Depending on who it is, I think they could be a really good fit.

Advertising for Cancer Research Institute

"We saw some incredible increases in all our key metrics."

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

Interplanetary created and executed a strategy and implementation plan to elevate a national brand identity using multiple channels, including TV, radio, print, digital, and podcasting.

Duarte, California
Lisa Stockmon
CMO, City of Hope

Working with Interplanetary has dramatically elevated the national brand identity, resulting in a 25% online giving increase and double-digit increases in brand reach, perception, awareness, and desire to donate. Interplanetary is a true thought partner and has been nimble and responsive.

Introduce your business or organization and what you do there.
I’m the chief marketing and communications officer for City of Hope. We are a biomedical cancer research and hospital located outside of Los Angeles, California. I head up the marketing organization and the communications organization of about 70 people.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Interplanetary?
We approached Interplanetary wanting to know how best to build a national brand identity for City of Hope. City of Hope has typically been in the top 13 or 14 cancer institutions, and their goal is to move that number up. We want to become a national brand, and we hired Interplanetary to help us develop a strategy to do so.

Interplanetary helped us develop our master brand strategy so that all the different business units and brands would come underneath the City of Hope umbrella. They did brand marketing through all channels: TV, radio, print, digital, strategic guidance, media planning and assessment as well as some podcasting. Because it’s a hospital, we also worked on acquisition and retention marketing.

They were very vertical in how they worked with us. They came up with a strategy, and then the team created the creative assets that we used moving forward. They also came up with a new tagline. We socialized that with all the different business units, and we use their direction and strategy to lead all the master brand marketing efforts. They were our lead agency and have done a great job. They have been our strategic champions inside and outside City of Hope.

How did you come to work with Interplanetary?
We let go of an agency that we had hired because they didn’t have the national experience I wanted to build the brand. I needed someone with the breadth of experience that the folks at Interplanetary have. They became our primary agency, and we have some secondary agencies that support them. I had worked with Interplanetary before at a previous company.

When I moved over as Chief Marketing Officer for a non-profit organization, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, I used them as well. They pitched me for some business, and they helped position and place that brand as well. I’ve worked with some of them for the past 10 years.

About $20 million–$25 million over the last 3 years or so.

We started working with them in November 2014 and have been working together since.

Online giving has increased almost 25%. Our quarterly brand reach numbers have increased by double digits. We’ve done pre and post measurement in terms of how well the brand fared in California as well as nationally, and there were increases in those numbers. Through the work they’ve provided, we’ve seen double digit increases in brand perception, brand awareness and desire to donate to City of Hope. We saw some incredible increases in all our key metrics once we moved to one brand strategic voice.

Our board is also very happy. The work we do is really to make sure that more people – not just patients but all of the healthcare community.– are aware of the work we do at City of Hope. The feedback has been exceptional.

How did Interplanetary perform from a project management standpoint?
That’s one reason I went with them, and they’ve been great. They are senior enough that they understand the large business objective we have, but small and nimble enough actually to get in there and do the work. I have enjoyed working with them because they’re true thought partners. I think that’s the value of having a smaller agency.

They definitely have the strategic understanding of how we are planning to move the needle to get more patients involved, make more people aware, and bring more dollars coming into City of Hope. They also understand that hospitals aren’t a marketing-driven organization so I needed them to get their hands dirty. They have been very good at working on both strategy and implementation.

What distinguishes Interplanetary from other providers?
I think you get the advantage of a senior team without the big cost structure.

Is there anything Interplanetary could have improved or done differently?
No, but sometimes their size limits them. What makes them great is also their limitation. They’ve been able to expand with my needs, which has been good. They’re thinking people, and I value that.

Overall Score They’ve done a really good job. I’m really pleased with the work they’ve done.
    They never missed a deadline.
    They’ve been good, but there are times where they’ve had to expand, and that has taken a little bit of time.
    They have been nimble enough to expand when I need them to and are also very responsive to me as a senior person at an organization.
    Definitely. I have recommended them to a lot of groups that have asked me who does our creative work.

Branding for Cancer Institute

“Given the cost, skill, and quality of the people you’re interacting with, you can’t get better results for your dollar.”

July 2016 - Mar. 2017

Interplanetary created the branding, marketing materials, and social media platform for an organization that funds cancer research.

Connecticut
CEO, Cancer Institute

Interplanetary never fails to deliver on time, and always leaves the drawing board open for the client to make sure they are comfortable with progress. The team is consistent and reliable, and guarantees to capture the personality of your company.

Our organization funds research in all cancers, but specifically looks for science that applies cell or gene therapy towards the treatment of cancer.

I’m President/Chief Executive Officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Interplanetary?

I brought them on to look at how we might brand and market our company. We started out as a small, somewhat unknown organization, and I went to Interplanetary to see how we could try and improve regionally and then expand to a national platform. So, the deliverable was to first learn about the organization and get at its core and essence, and then convert that into a branding and marketing platform. The goal was to build awareness, but of course, unequivocally to raise funding.

They helped us create the brand of the company, including the logo, tagline, manifesto, and then some sample media and print advertising, print material, and radio spots, among others. They also helped us with the extension to coordinate with web designers so that all of this could be, first and foremost, put on our website, and then the social media platform was layered on top of that. We are coming close to launching.

How did you come to work with Interplanetary?

I didn’t consider any other organizations. We needed to get up and running as quickly as we possibly could. I knew of their capabilities because I worked with them at a previous organization. I wanted to bring someone in that I was familiar with and that could move and get the work done, and also someone I was comfortable working with.

$50,000-$100,000.

We started working with them in July of 2016, and it was completed four or five months ago. There’s no outstanding work.

The quality of their work, from prior experience with them, was superior. The program that was put in place at my prior place of work was completed around 2012, and it’s still active and being used today. From a revenue perspective, the results from the social media work were highly successful.  Externally, the overall impact from an aided and unaided perspective was high. Also, the excitement around a new branding platform within the organization has gone extremely well. To this day, the system is in place and being used. I am hopeful to replicate that kind of experience here that we had there.

How did Interplanetary perform from a project management standpoint?

They do a great job of letting you know timelines on deliverables, and for the most part, can react and bring things in sooner if you need them to, provided there’s communication around that front. They met the deadlines that were set when the projects were originally created, and respond very well to feedback. We had to go back to the drawing board a couple of times on taglines and logos, but they kept at it and redelivered when it was required of them.

What distinguishes Interplanetary from other providers?

The unique quality that Interplanetary brings to the table is that in the beginning, you’re dealing with highly seasoned, professional, and capable people, and throughout the process, you’re dealing with exactly the same thing. The work product is superior. It’s a very likeable group, and the group that you meet in the beginning is the group you work with throughout. On a professional level, many of these folks have become my friends.

Is there anything Interplanetary could have improved or done differently?

No, it’s a top notch firm to work with.

Overall Score They are a pleasure to work with. They’re wonderful people. They’re caring. They get inside the head of the organization and deliver in spades on the kind of messaging and external expression of your presence incredibly well.
    They are on time, or better said, aligned with the schedule.
    They are professional, creative, and on time.
    I’ve already done it.

Outdoor Advertising Campaign for Public Media Provider

"The team is amazing at responding to feedback and presenting multiple options."

Jan. - June 2017

Interplanetary proposed a complete local marketing vision centered on a compelling tagline—creating graphics, a brand logo, and engaging content. They also assisted with media placement to boost engagement.

New York City, New York
Kellie Specter
Senior Director of Communications, WNET

Thanks to Interplanetary’s powerful messaging, the campaign website has attracted 18,000 viewers, 500 of whom have sent letters of support. The team’s efficient workflow, collaborative brainstorming, and extensive experience contributed to a rewarding partnership.

I’m the senior director of communications and marketing at WNET. We are the public media provider for the New York City tristate area. We run 3 public television stations: THIRTEEN, WLIW21, and NJTV in New Jersey, which is a statewide network.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interplanetary?

The federal government is considering defunding us. We get about 10% of our operating budget through the federal government as a public media company. We wanted to alert our constituents, supporters, and viewers that we are under consideration to be defunded and start an advocacy campaign. Interplanetary started this project from scratch, but they’re familiar with us. They’re part of our audience, so they really understood who we were and what we wanted.

We needed compelling graphics, a tagline, an overarching brand or stamp, and engaging copy. They handled all the creative tasks. They helped with media placement, but they didn’t do it themselves.

They came up with a great tagline, “Fight for THIRTEEN.” THIRTEEN is the most well-known of our 3 channels, and it’s been on the air for almost 55 years. Interplanetary wanted to send an urgent message to the people who engage with us through that tagline.

How did you come to work with Interplanetary?

A contact recommended them to us. I called Interplanetary during some exploratory conversations and really connected with them. They seemed to understand our needs. They’re experienced with public television and knew all 3 of our brands, which was the tipping point for me. I didn’t have to explain anything because they already knew our situation.

How much have you invested with Interplanetary?

I can’t share a dollar amount. The campaign was fairly modest.

We started working together in January 2017, and we’d like the partnership to continue. For this round, most of the work was completed in early June. We’re working on a huge outdoor campaign right now and did a lot of online advertising as well.

For our outdoor advertising campaign, “Fight for THIRTEEN” is the big headline. Internally, we created a website and a landing page, and the creative content has been up for about 2 weeks. We’ve gotten about 18,000 visits on the website. The site asks people to do 3 things: write to their representative about our funding, sign up for our email newsletter, and donate if they wish. We’ve had about 500 letters sent to representatives. The donation factor is still small, but we’re hoping that it will grow. We’re satisfied with the results over the past 2 weeks.

How did Interplanetary perform from a project management standpoint?

They have been excellent. Joe [Managing Partner, Interplanetary], who’s our account executive, has just been everything we need in a project manager. He’s efficient, organized, and a great communicator. The team is amazing at responding to feedback and presenting multiple options. When plan A doesn’t work for us, they’re prepared with plan B. They hear us and take our direction easily. When they need to make a point, they do so. The whole process has gone smoothly.

What did you find most impressive about Interplanetary?

The whole team has a wealth of experience after working in huge agencies. It’s really rare to find that much talent in a small agency.

Are there any areas Interplanetary could improve?

Our experience has been excellent.

We’ve had no problems. They always honored their commitments.
    I appreciate their deliverables, knowledge of our company, and professionalism.
  • N/A NPS
    I’m not allowed to go on the record anywhere with a referral.

Advertising for Investment Advisors

"They are totally committed to helping us achieve our goals."

July 2016 - Ongoing

Interplanetary prepared a unified brand message before transitioning to digital and print marketing campaigns. They now provide extensive industry research, strategic content suggestions, and ad management.

VP of Campaign Strategy, Investment Advising Firm

To date, 75% of Interplanetary’s digital and TV ads succeeded in AB testing, attracting consistent client engagement. The team’s transparent organization, collaborative workflow, and cohesive deliverables continue to drive results and solidify brand identity.

I’m the vice president of campaign strategy for a financial advisor serving high net worth clients. I’m responsible for strategy, creative development, and management of external agencies as well as our in-house staff.

What challenge were you trying to address with Interplanetary?

First, we needed to articulate our value proposition and build out some messaging. We wanted to hire more resources at the firm, which marked the beginning of a new era, moving from disorganized creative procedure to a more organized system and a common message. We really didn’t have any unifying statements about the firm before we started with Interplanetary.

We also asked them to help with brand messaging because we really only do direct marketing. So, we needed our brand messaging to be consistent throughout the direct responses.

They created print ads for magazine and newspaper, 3 direct response TV ads, and 30 different display banner ads for us. In addition, they did some of the strategy work behind these campaigns and refined our messaging. They also helped us with extensive research, which informed all the content. We also asked them to speak at a summit for our marketers. They’re working on other tasks now, but it’s all project-based.

How did you come to work with Interplanetary?

Our CMO, who joined the firm about 18 months ago, had worked with some people at Interplanetary in a previous role. When I came on board, they were already signed up and ready to go.

How much have you invested with Interplanetary?

We’ve spent over $500,000.

The work probably started in July of 2016, and the engagement is ongoing.

Because of our direct-response approach, we continue to run only the ads that work. We have lots of creative assets to rotate, and we keep the winners going. Interplanetary’s TV ads and digital ads are part of that rotation, and probably 75% of them succeed in heads-up testing. Maybe a third of the print ads do as well, which is pretty strong. Three-quarters of their concepts do well in AB testing, and I’m content with that.

How did Interplanetary perform from a project management standpoint?

They do a good job. They recently added someone who’s really focused on project management and keeping everything on track. The whole team is transparent about where things stand. I also appreciate that they’re realistic about timelines. They understand when stuff happens, and they’re flexible in working with us to update timelines, which makes working with them easy. I like the way they manage projects.

What did you find most impressive about Interplanetary?

For all the times I’ve had agencies who we called partners, I feel like Interplanetary actually is a partner. They are totally committed to helping us achieve our goals. Our CMO or I will often call them just to talk through ideas because we really trust them and value their counsel.

Are there any areas Interplanetary could improve?

We want people to challenge us and suggest ideas. They’ve earned our respect, so they certainly could share more with us in that area. So far, they’ve really delivered on everything we’ve requested.

Overall Score Working with them is enjoyable.
    They are a small firm, so some items slip a day here and there. We understand.
    We appreciate everything we’ve gotten from them and paid a fair price.
    Our collaborative process has resulted in good work that succeeds in heads-up testing, which is our key metric.
    I feel confident in referring them.