Reimagine Digital

Gold

Founded in 2001, ImageX is a technology & web agency with a global reach. We've help brands across the world such as Disney, Apple, YMCA, Samsung, Adidas, Adobe and Stanford University architect complex technical solutions and create meaningful digital experiences through user experience, content strategy, stunning visual design and ongoing digital strategy. With offices in Vancouver, Canada, Kyiv, Ukraine and team members throughout North America, ImageX offers 24-hour web support to brands both big and small.

2001
Vancouver, Canada
  • 163 West Hastings Street
    Vancouver, BC V6B 1H5
  • 19А Khreschatyk Street
    Kyiv, KY 02000
    Ukraine

Apple, YMCA, Adidas, Samsung, Stanford University, Jewish Community Centers of Manhattan, University of Arizona, UC Irvine, Trinity University, Technical Safety BC, Gratz College, Centre for Digital Media, Gordon Food Services, Acquia, City of Port Alberni

YMCA of Greater New York City Image

YMCA of Western North Carolina

KAUST Image

KAUST

Drupal Redevelopment for Video Security Provider

"They went above and beyond to meet our deadline and our expectations.”

June 2015 - Ongoing

ImageX redesigned a software security firm's website to focus on a clean, modern design and interactive usability. They later updated the site, providing quality assurance.and systems architecture.

San Diego, California
Product Marketing Manager, Video Security Provider

The website redesign increased the firm's social media presence, and made it creating and sharing content quick, simple, and intuitive. Users enjoyed the modern interface. ImageX impressed with their project and time management skills.

We are a software security company. We develop security software to protect video content for pay TV operators worldwide. For example, operators like DIRECTV or Time Warner Cable need to protect their content and, sometimes, they cannot acquire content from content providers if they don't have the right security. They need to add software to their boxes, devices, or players to make sure that content is secure, avoid piracy and protect their content and their revenues.

I'm the product marketing manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with ImageX?

In 2012, we wanted to redesign our site, and ImageX completed that project. Now, after three years, we felt like that site was kind of old and outdated. We wanted to do a complete redesign and modernize the site. We figured we would give ImageX another chance to overhaul the site since they performed well the last time.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

This project was a complete redesign, with a completely upgraded Drupal instance, everything from scratch. We needed it to be mobile responsive with a clean, modern design and very interactive usability. When we create content, we wanted it to be easy to create and easy to populate throughout different sections and pages. We wanted to be able to share our content in social media easily and have easy navigation and menus. We wanted videos and visuals to be very prominent on the site.

On the ImageX side, we had a project manager, a QA [quality assurance] person, a creative director, a couple of developers, and then a systems architect. They were collaborating closely with us throughout the whole thing.

How did you come to work with ImageX?

Our company first worked with ImageX back in 2012. I wasn't with the company at the time, but they did research on different agencies. They decided to go with a Drupal-based agency because of the flexibility. After selecting three or four candidates, ImageX became the strongest one. For this recent redesign project, we actually opened another RFP [request for proposal] process but, in the end, we decided to go with ImageX again.

The total cost is between $80,000 and $100,000.

We kicked off the project at the beginning of June [2015], and we launched the site on September 9. Right now, we're still fixing some bugs. We have a service-level agreement with them, and we have requested additional hours to work on some improvements and to finish some things we were not able to complete the first time around. Our project was very time sensitive, and we had to launch before our biggest show of the year, so we had a very hard deadline.

I would say it increased the share-ability of content in social media. The way we create new content is now much faster. We can create content tiles with predefined images, titles, and copy much faster; and it's faster to populate, too. It also looks better. We've only been using the site for a month, so we don't yet have any representative or meaningful statistics. I would say the usability of the site has definitely improved. The menus and the way you interact with it have improved quite a lot.

In general, the users like the look and feel more than our previous site. It looks much more modern, and it makes the company look more global and up to date. We still have a little bit to do, to fix some of the issues, but I think we're going in the right direction there. There are always challenges, but working with ImageX, I think we will be able to solve them.

Overall, I think ImageX was a great choice for us, and I would encourage other companies to work with them for either a new site or a redesign. ImageX has a good group of people who are going to work very hard to try to meet those requirements and expectations, and to develop a nice website.

How did ImageX perform from a project management standpoint?

This was a time-sensitive project which created a fair share of hardships in terms of the budget and workload on both our side as well as at ImageX. We were able to meet our desired launch date by going marginally over the original stated budget. From a timing perspective, the project was managed very well.

What distinguishes ImageX from other providers?

I would say it was their flexibility to meet our requirements, especially their main developer, Gray Sadler. He went above and beyond to meet our deadline and our expectations. He was fantastic.

Is there anything ImageX could have improved or done differently?

Due to the crunch at the finish to complete the project in the final days, a small overage in the budget occurred which we didn't get sightline on until after the overage occurred. ImageX worked with us on the matter and gave us some of the hours back, and a plan to complete additional feature requests over a period of time. We felt this was a fair compromise on their part.

Drupal Development and Responsive Design for Senior Housing Community

"ImageX was great to work with. I was happy with the whole process."

ImageX initially designed a content-rich website. They later returned to make it mobile-friendly, responsive, and appealing to a wide user base.

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
VP, Marketing and Communications, Baptist Housing

ImageX built an intuitive site that received positive feedback and successfully attracted users across a wide range of demographics. The team was able to fulfill every key element of the project, providing prompt feedback and thorough documentation.

The company has been around for 51 years in British Columbia, and we provide senior housing and care. We've got a range of communities, from lower-income, subsidized rental housing, all the way through to complex care, which would be very similar to the United States model of a CCRC [continuing care retirement communities].

I am the vice president of marketing and communications.

What business challenge were you trying to address with ImageX?

ImageX built our first site approximately six years ago, and we went from a very dated site to a Drupal platform at that time. Six years later, it was definitely time to redo the site and have a mobile site as well. It was initially going to be a window dressing upgrade, and we went a little bit deeper than that. They created our original site, and then we brought them back in to redesign our site.

Please describe the scope of their involvement in more detail.

We really wanted a website that was easy to use in terms of content upgrades and migration – all of that. It needed to be intuitive on the back-end. We're a large organization with a small team – it's myself and an assistant that manage the website. We worked with three individuals, the project manager, and two other people who worked on the development side.

Our user-base is pretty broad. We have seniors of 80 years-plus, so the site needed to be simple, clean, and easy to navigate. Then, we also have their children that are coming to the site. Now, we have a demographic that's around 50-plus. We also use it to engage team members and partners, so in that respect, the audience is wide open. We needed something that is super senior-friendly, but that also would be visually appealing for the younger audience and easy to navigate. It was also important that we could build something that was scalable, that we wouldn't end up with a clunky structure later on, as we added more to it.

We had a search functionality before we did the redesign, and it was usable. The "Donate" function is new to our site. While we launched the site a couple of weeks ago, we weren't set up to do the online transactions yet. We wanted to build it so that we could scale it up. That's part of our second phase. At this point, it's reply with an email, but it's something that ImageX will be working to implement.

How did you come to work with ImageX?

When I first started looking for a company to work with – in Vancouver, there's a lot to choose from – I started looking at sites that I liked, and coincidentally their office at the time was in a community near where I lived. I would drive by and I thought, "That's kind of curious." I kind of stumbled across them, and then started looking at the work that they did, and I was impressed with their range of experience.

When we first worked with them six years ago, I interviewed them and went directly to ImageX. I had certainly worked with others in the past. This time, I actually went to two organizations and eventually selected ImageX.

It was $30,000. We stayed within budget and timeline.

We launched the new website on September 2, 2015.

There were key points throughout the process, and we certainly met all of those. Because it was such a small team working on our side, the ImageX team was good at coming in and working right alongside us, and helping us understand things. We weren't super sophisticated in terms of what we needed on the back-end, so much as what we wanted it to look and feel like from the users' point of view.

I don't have statistics on user engagement yet because it's so new. I certainly will be doing that, and I do work with another organization that manages that portion for us, and I get monthly reports. I'll be able to look at that in terms of where we were at the end of August with our old site, and then what we're looking at by the end of this month [September 2015]. Anecdotally, we've had a lot of great feedback from people who like the site. I'm looking forward to having that impression kind of reaffirmed through some more concrete statistical data.

How did ImageX perform from a project management standpoint?

We stayed within the agreed upon timeline and budget. ImageX was great to work with. I was happy with the whole process.

What distinguishes ImageX from other providers?

Having not worked with another development company for a number of years, I think what was great with how they actually managed the project through Basecamp. There was instant feedback and bilateral dialogue. When we were doing meetings, whether it was in person or over the phone, all of the notes from the meeting were then posted to Basecamp right away, any sort of actions, conversations, or threads. It was great to know where we were at in the project constantly, and then to be able to go back. Even now that we're into it and we're having questions in terms of back-end how-to, a question goes up and their responsiveness is so fast and thorough. We feel very well supported.

Is there anything ImageX could have improved or done differently?

Maybe the only thing – and I shared this feedback with them as well – was partly a function because we were doing this during the summer months, so vacations sometimes hit both on our part and their part. Sometimes, it was a little bit hard to know if we were still on track, even though we were on track. If somebody said, "Are you still going to be ready?" I'd be like, "I hope so." There were only a couple of times like that.

Then on my part, I didn't do a good job of saying where we were at in terms of hours and budget. Again, they were super confident in managing the timeline and the budget, but I didn't ask, and that was something that they've acknowledged that they could have given a little bit more progress reports and progress billing. Again, it was minor. Overall, we've been just very impressed by them.

Overall Score It's hard to get perfect, but it was great.
    For sure.

Drupal Development for Automotive Trade Association

"I'd applaud ImageX on their ability to make useful sites that are very pleasing to the eye."

ImageX developed and updated a Drupal site, implementing a revamped front-end design and intuitive front-end interface. They also built a new CRM, an email blast system, and a mapping API.

Sacramento, California
Ben Xiong
Communications Specialist, California Fuel Cell Partnership

The user-friendly, highly functional site saw a huge increase in page traffic and session length after the redesign. ImageX’s custom module improved internal efficiency, and their design skills made the site both attractive and easy to use.

We are a membership organization consisting of three major groups: automakers, including Honda, Toyota, and General Motors, and state and federal agencies –for instance, the Department of Energy and the Department of Transportation.

Our main goal is to commercialize hydrogen-cell electric vehicles. There are two main parts to the partnership. The first is the communication side. It's communication to a couple different audiences, but largely the general public and other invested stakeholders. The other side of the partnership is more of the technical side, so assisting with any kind of research that helps entire membership organization.

My official title is communications specialist online. That's consisting of any kind of digital communication, social media, web development, and anything that involved communication online and our digital properties.

What business challenge were you trying to address with ImageX?

There are three things that we go to ImageX for. The first is that they're great at building visually outstanding websites, so we go there for a lot of their assistance with graphics, I would say, with usability for websites. The second is custom modules for Drupal, so we go to them quite a bit if we're in need for a special customization or any custom modules that need to be developed. The third is maintenance. If we have any kind of maintenance issues that we can't handle internally, or we don't have the bandwidth to handle, we rely on ImageX for that support as well.

Please describe the scope of their involvement in more detail.

We've been operating a Drupal website for about five or six years now. We have worked with ImageX to upgrade from a previous version of Drupal. We had quite a few different third-party modules that we had ImageX assist with making work properly in our system. We had a CRM [customer relationship management] tool that we had assistance with, and the other was an email blast system. I think those are the two that really come to mind at the moment. The third is Google's APIs [application programming interfaces], making sure that we can integrate Google Maps seamlessly into our system.

How did you come to work with ImageX?

Originally, when we first developed our first Drupal website, we had a developer that worked on it. It functioned great, but it wasn't very user-friendly. We also had an intranet site that was functional but wasn't very user-friendly. We went through a few different vendors. Then we found ImageX and what we really liked about them is their ability to make sites that are very user-friendly. We had already completed the first website, and we actually scratched it, never launched it, and then launched the ImageX site.

I would say near $40,000 to $50,000.

The relationship is ongoing.

I can't recall any specific results at the moment. Going back to the Google API, that was one of the major ones that we really requested help from ImageX. Originally, people would just come to our home page and we were seeing a lot of drop off after the home page. After the revamp from ImageX, our most hit page was our station map page. Many users found that page to be really user-friendly, and it provided pretty much all of the information that they needed. That was with a lot of assistance from ImageX. After the revamp, that became our number one hit page for about five or six years now.

We work with one of our members on a very custom module that ImageX built completely for us. The automaker has praised ImageX multiple times on the fact that they're able to respond very quickly to changes and requests made from the automaker, and even offering to buy him a beer if we ever ran into each other in person.

What distinguishes ImageX from other providers?

I'd applaud ImageX on their ability to make useful sites that are very pleasing to the eye and offer an intuitive interface for end-users.

Is there anything ImageX could have improved or done differently?

This is true for most developers, but on the documentation side – documentation can always be better from most developers. If there was any area that they needed to step up or improve on, I would say it would be documentation.

Drupal Development for Management Consulting Firm

“We have been extremely happy with their performance.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

2012 - Ongoing

ImageX has developed several public Drupal websites, set up server systems, and occasionally assisted with project development. Recently, they completed a Drupal 8 migration. The review was updated by the client on April 10, 2019.

San Francisco Bay Area
Bruce Stewart
Operations Manager, Management Lab

End customers and internal staff are pleased with the customized, high-quality work. ImageX completes projects speedily, delivering flawless code and displaying a comprehensive grasp of the Drupal system. They quickly became a reliable long-term partner.

Please describe your company.

We are a management consultancy.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm a producer. I'm a contractor, so I'm not technically an employee. It's a very small company with a couple of people and then a handful of contractors.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address with ImageX?

We run several public websites, which ImageX have developed for us. We also use Drupal-based software on the management consultancy engagements we get into, which ImageX has helped develop for us.

Please describe the scope of their work in greater detail?

We typically contribute the design portion of things, usually all of the visual collateral, including detailed wireframes and we have an in-house designer to help support the process, too. We give nice wireframes and mockups to them, and they build the functional components of the sites. They also do some project management when we're dealing with rather large or complex projects.

We've also used them to help set up servers within our clients' networks, interfacing with different IT [information technology] systems, and they've been very helpful in that regard.

How did you come to work with ImageX?

Acquia referred us to them directly.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

That information is confidential.

Is the relationship ongoing?

Yes, absolutely, for three or four years now. We plan to use them in the foreseeable future.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

I can't think of any specific metrics. We have been extremely happy with their performance. The development we've done with them, especially with client engagement, is all pretty custom and fast-moving stuff. We tell them what we need, and they help us figure it out and build it as fast as possible. We've done a few of those where it's worked out really well. We've got a very high level of confidence and satisfaction with their work. Our own end-customers have only expressed positive sentiments regarding the work we've delivered to them. Things work as they should. We test everything before we launch, and I can't think of any problems we've had where end-users have any kind of serious issues at all.

Is there anything that you'd consider unique about their practice that distinguishes them from other vendors?

I haven't worked with a lot of other companies in this space. We want to do Drupal stuff, and they're a Drupal focused shop, so that was why we went there. I think what I've been most impressed with is their speed and responsiveness, while being able to deliver high-quality work continuously. I've worked with other developers in-house who weren't as fast and weren't as clean. These guys just get it done quickly and relatively flawlessly. I'm very satisfied with those aspects of the relationship.

No. Of all the developers I've worked with, they are head and shoulders above the others. That's why we intend to maintain the relationship in the long term.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client of theirs?

Spec your stuff out as much as possible in advance. That's something we sometimes have trouble with in our fast moving environment. Getting all your ducks in a row at the beginning is about the only piece of advice I would have, but I think that's general advice when working with any developer.

Updated Review

The review was updated on April 10, 2019, by the client. New content is below.

I’m the operations manager for Management Lab, a small consultancy.

What challenge were you trying to address with ImageX?

ImageX develops the web-based tools that we use in our client engagements. Each engagement presents unique challenges.

Since 2015, ImageX has completed a Drupal 8 migration—from Drupal 7—for a client. Additionally, they rearchitected and redesigned a solution for another customer. Our team provides detailed specifications and mockups for each project. They provide recommendations and we sometimes implement those changes. Both sides do QA testing.

We work with one project manager and 2–3 developers.

We’ve spent between $1–$10 million.

We started working together in 2012 and the partnership is ongoing.

We received lots of incredibly positive comments both from our clients and from the people working within our group. Their ability to rise to the challenges impresses everyone.

How did ImageX perform from a project management standpoint?

ImageX resolves issues quickly. The team is responsive via phone, Slack, and email.

ImageX handles complex projects and delivers them in rapid timeframes.

No, we’re happy customers.

Drupal Development for Leading Information Technology Firm

"They've got some seriously talented developers and designers on their team."

ImageX redesigned a Drupal website to make it more user-friendly. They were involved in strategy, requirements scoping, implementation, testing, and deployment.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Dan Hellerman
Director, Marketing at SevOne, Inc.

The redesign led to a 35 percent increase in unique page views, a 40 percent increase in average visit duration, and a 47 percent increase in new visitors to the site. The site rarely experienced downtime. ImageX impressed with their timeliness, solid communication, and consistently exceptional work.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

We’re one of the leaders in the enterprise performance management space for large-scale networks. We drive performance managements for some of the top companies in the world like Comcast and Verizon. We help them manage their networks and network performance. If they have an issue somewhere in their data center, we have an application and a hardware appliance that can alert them on issues before the end users are impacted.

I’m the director of digital marketing.

Could you describe the business challenges that you were attempting to address when you first approached ImageX?

We had an outdated and obsolete site that was just extremely cluttered. We had a whole lot of different resources, things like white papers and case studies, customer testimonials, user interactions, and all sorts of custom videos. It wasn’t well organized and hence very user unfriendly. We had drop-down menus, and things that were a mile long. We wanted to undo this completely by implementing a brand new responsive design, and updating the information architecture of the site. We wanted to be able to tell our story effectively and allow users to find the information they needed in an intuitive and convenient manner.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

ImageX came in and took us through the whole redesign and deployment. They were heavily involved in each and every phase, from inception to deployment. They flew down here during the RFP [request for proposal] process, and we discussed what our business is, and gave them a tour of the company, and gave them information about what exactly we do. They took that back with them and created a 37-page system requirement document. Then, we moved through the next discovery phase with them. They produced a 140-page document with all the navigation and features, and every single page across the entire website. Once we reached an agreement on the scope and deployment strategy, they began the actual process of developing our core components, testing them, implementing them, and enhancing them.

How did you select ImageX as your solution partner?

We were looking into a couple of different vendors. We were looking for those that were considered the top Drupal firms. We had talked with one locally, Lullabot, but they were way outside of our price range. There were a couple other creative studios that we looked at, too. We looked at some of the pre-existing templates for Drupal, and outsourcing it. We also considered doing it in-house, but our website is absolutely massive, and it would have been a daunting undertaking.

I had known a couple people who had designed some fairly large Drupal sites, and they recommended ImageX. They’d heard really good things. That’s when we decided to send them an RFP and have them look at our project. I had unknowingly been visiting some of the sites they designed for years, which were some of my favorites. Once we did the RFP with them, and saw their design style and what they did, we chose to go with them.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular engagement?

To give you an idea of a price disparity, a different company was going to be close to $120,000 or $150,000 for only mockups. ImageX was gave us the same estimate, but included the entire thing, from inception to deployment.

We went through an initial design, and then a redesign. The total cost of the site, had we avoided doing the redesign, would have been about $120,000 to $130,000. With the redesign, we went up to about $200,000. We also have ongoing contracts with them, and we’re doing more work with them right now. That’ll probably bring us close $300,000 by the end of next year. They’re worth every penny.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

On average, we’re seeing about a 30 percent drop in bounce rate. We’re seeing about a 35 percent increase in unique page views, a 40 percent increase in the average duration of users visiting our website. On average, we’re seeing about 30 percent increase in pretty much all of our numbers. It’s right about a 30 percent difference for goal completions, which is basically a conversion to us. It’s lead generation. We’re seeing about a 47 percent increase in new users to the website, compared to about two months.

When we went live, we kind of flipped the switch and we were up in just about two hours. The two-hour delay was kind of an internal issue here, nothing to do with ImageX itself. They also pushed us to host on Acquia, which they consider more than sufficient for large traffic websites like ours. We haven’t had a production down issue since we had the site up. It’s been fantastic.

On our old site, I would say we had about three hours a month of production down time. It was kind of nice not to have to deal with those emergencies. We have a production and development server now, which is a big help, but the fact that we’ve had 100 percent up time has been the best part.

When working with ImageX is there anything you’d consider unique about their strategic approach and/or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

For us, communication was pretty much paramount. We had a tight deadline on the last phase of the website, but they definitely kept up, which was very impressive. They’ve got some seriously talented developers and designers on their team, and it shows in the quality and consistency of their work. We were also very impressed with their response time. They seemed to always be available when we had questions, comments, or concerns.

I’ve recommended them to people before and will definitely continue.

Gold