4K and HD Digital Film Production

Located in the heart of the historic River Market neighborhood in Kansas City, MO, Illumina Filmworks is your one stop boutique video production shop. We are here to help guide our clients through every step of the creative process.

Whether it's broadcast design, animation, creative editing, social media, strategic corporate communications, film/video production or complete project management, Illumina Filmworks number one priority is our dedication to our clients.We intend to fulfill this mission by giving extra effort to customer service, direction, and superior workmanship while ALWAYS addressing our customer’s needs.

Illumina Filmworks is FAA Certified to fly drones for film and video production. We specialize in stunning 4K aerial footage. The Inspire 1 is the most advanced all-in-one video drone on the market. The camera can record crystal clear 4K video clips at 24-30 fps. The gimbal is also worth mentioning. This UAV carries the same 3-axis gimbal technology DJI is famous for. But what’s even better is that the gimbal can rotate 360° and tilt up to 125°. This is something no other UAV can match to date. Higher speed, greater power, and multi-controller capabilities. The rotating 4K camera on the Inspire, coupled with the fact that the propellers get right out of frame, makes it a truly professional broadcast quality aerial filmmaking tool.

Kansas City, MO
headquaters
  • Illumina Filmworks
    Kansas City, MO 64106
    816.873.1827

Sedgwick, Bayer CropScience, Chevron, McLanahan, Black & Veatch, B&W Trailer Hitches, DuPont, Pfizer, TEDx, Global Health Innovations, Honda, TierPoint, ZiwiPets, Q4 Impact Group

Case Study Videos for Heavy Industry Consulting Firm

"Illumina Filmworks cares about the clients they work for."

Oct. 2012 - Ongoing

In an ongoing relationship, Illumina Filmworks provides over a dozen heavy industry case studies. The case studies are used at trade shows and on websites in order to promote several brands.

Carrollton, Ohio
Chief Strategy Officer, Q4 Impact

Illumina Filmworks does an outstanding job in the field, and their experience in heavy industry makes them more effective in production. The team does a great job of meeting expectations, and they are consistently brought back for additional work.

Q4 Impact Group is a multi-faceted firm that provides technical consulting as well as marketing services and training programs to heavy industry, specifically the mining and minerals industry in the United States. I’m the chief strategic officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illumina Filmworks?

We hired Illumina Filmworks for video and photography work to help our clients tell their story.

Illumina Filmworks has worked on more than a dozen case studies where we would go to customer sites, and they would document the visit and interviews with customers. Then they would turn those into case studies that would be available on a trade show video or something that was available on their website.

We tell Illumina what the client wants and work with them to develop the shot list and the script. We work together to develop the video and go through the approval process with the client to make any changes. Illumina has a network of people that they work with for any ancillary art that’s needed or any other animation that would be required.

We’ve also developed some websites together where we give them the storyboard and wireframes, and they would put it together and host it.

How did you come to work with Illumina Filmworks?

I was advising the marketing department in finding a company, and we were looking for photography and film work. We found Illumina Filmworks through another agency and developed a relationship with them five years ago.

How much have you invested with Illumina Filmworks?

We have spent over $100,000 with Illumina Filmworks over the course of our relationship.

We started working with Illumina Filmworks in October 2012, and the most recent project was finished today.

The work with them is ongoing. We have another project planned in a couple of weeks. We do this on a regular basis. Knowing what skills they have and where their talents are, we bring them in for a project when it’s the right fit.

This is all B2B work, so it’s hard to give any metrics. We wouldn’t be using Illumina Filmworks if we didn’t feel they did an outstanding job of working in the field.

We’re working in heavy industry, we’re in mining environments, and we’ve even shot on location in an underground mine. When we talk about being in the field, we’re talking about manufacturing facilities, quarries, sand and gravel operations, etc. It helps if you’re knowledgeable about those environments when you go in to shoot a video. We don’t have to spend a lot of time talking about the equipment or safety issues with Illumina because they understand. That’s the advantage of using them in those settings because they are already aware of the constraints that we have when doing these projects.

How did Illumina Filmworks perform from a project management standpoint?

I take care of the project management. Illumina Filmworks do a great job of meeting the expectations that the customer has for these projects.

What did you find most impressive about Illumina Filmworks?

Illumina Filmworks cares about the clients they work for.

Are there any areas Illumina Filmworks could improve?

No. Illumina Filmworks is a growing company which is always working to improve.

Illumina Filmworks is very accommodating and good at meeting deadlines.
    Illumina Filmworks has always done an excellent job which is why we continue to use them.

Video Production for HIV/AIDS Non-Profit

"I love that Illumina can get the business component, but they always bring the heart back into it."

Jan. 2009 - Ongoing

Illumina Filmworks has made 8 videos to convey the work and mission of a non-profit. The team writes scripts, travels to produce the video, and edits the products. They also provide blogging and website design.

Brad Gautney
President, Global Health Innovations

Since the website redesign, traffic per month has grown significantly. Additionally, the videos have been extremely well received by stakeholders as a highlight of each fundraising campaign. Illumina Filmworks has created an extremely open relationship and is extremely trustworthy.

Global Health Innovations is a 501(c)(3) organization. We specialize in designing, implementing, and managing HIV/AIDS programs, in East and West Africa, for HIV-positive mothers and their babies. I’m the president of the organization. We have about 55 employees.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illumina Filmworks?

We needed to get our message out about the work we’re doing and the outcomes we’re having. We needed a company that could understand our message, articulate it, and communicate it in a way that represents who we are.

Illumina Filmworks made videos and mini-documentaries for us to help current and new donors understand the foundation of our work. Illumina has produced eight videos for us.

When our organization first started, we designed an innovative intervention for pediatric HIV/AIDS. It was very technical and scientific. It helped children, but it was very hard to convey what we do technically and medically. We had lay people trying to understand it.

We worked with Illumina on a video that really shows the technical component of our work, while still maintaining the heart of the work. That was very challenging, and Illumina pulled it off. That video was produced four or five years ago, but we still use it in training and presentations to potential donors.

The team at Illumina Filmworks goes to Africa with us. We go in with a script or an idea that we want to work with, but sometimes that changes. When we go into rural Africa, a story we’re not expecting can come up. They’re always ready to work flexibly. From the very beginning, Illumina has done everything. They’re in charge of writing the scripts, and they do the editing. They also do some blogging, and they designed our website. They’re hands-on with everything. We want our videos, website, and blogs to match our culture. Illumina sets that tone for us.

Illumina Filmworks also design all the promotional materials that we send to new and existing donors. If we give a presentation to a new company or group, they design all the materials for us. They also help us with our strategy and how to convey our message to different audiences, whether it’s corporate, private donors, or research. They work across the board with us.

How did you come to work with Illumina Filmworks?

I was working for another company ten years ago, and I came across Rustin Hamilton, one of the partners at Illumina Filmworks. We ended up in Africa together, and he was just starting Illumina. I told him about the new organization I started and asked if he wanted to do some work for us.

How much have you invested with Illumina Filmworks?

We’ve invested around $50,000 to date.

Our partnership began in January of 2009, and the relationship is ongoing.

After Illumina Filmworks redesigned our website, and we got exponentially more hits on a monthly basis. Some of the videos, which were initially meant for promotional use, are now being used by government entities for training. Every fundraiser we’ve had over the past five years has included a video by Illumina. Everyone says the videos are unbelievable and really captured their hearts. They say, "Now I finally understand what you guys are about." That obviously equals new donors and more funding.

How did Illumina Filmworks perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s one of the things I love about Illumina Filmworks. We have an open relationship, and I can call them when needed. There have been times when I strongly believed we should go in one direction. They would sit down with me and show why they recommended a different direction.

We’ve built trust in the relationship, and I go with what they say 99% of the time. They’ve proven over time that they know what they’re doing. I’m very satisfied with the way they handle deadlines and their professionalism. I’ve worked with other agencies in LA, New York, and Dallas. I always go back to Illumina.

What did you find most impressive about Illumina Filmworks?

Illumina Filmworks is a corporate company. The work we do is about the heart; it’s about lives. It’s very fundamental to have that balance communicated to people. I love that Illumina can get the business component, but they always bring the heart back into it. I’ve seen some organizations in my line of work who get the heart part right, or they get the technical part right, but very rarely do they get both of those right and bring them together. Illumina just knows how to bring the technical part to the audience, and they also always bring the heart to the audience. That is so important in my line of work. They have a way of striking that balance. It’s like a Jedi mind trick. I don’t know how they do it.

Are there any areas Illumina Filmworks could improve?

I wish Illumina Filmworks understood that even though they’re a production company in Kansas City, Missouri, they can play with the big boys. I want them to get that mentality. Just because they’re here in Kansas City doesn’t mean they’re not good enough for Hollywood or New York City. I want them to get out of the mode of, 'We’re Kansas City.' I want them to know how much they have to offer.

Overall Score Illumina Filmworks is one of the best companies to work with in their field of expertise. Anything we do moving forward will be with them. They deliver everything across the board; price, timing, flexibility, and a really good product.
    We’ve never had an issue. There have been times that we had very short deadlines, and Illumina Filmworks has never failed to deliver.
    For the website redesign, Illumina Filmworks’ cost was 50% less expensive than other companies, and I got a better product.
    The proof is in every product Illumina Filmworks has done for us.
    I refer Illumina Filmworks anytime I can.

Diversity and Inclusion Videos for Insurance Company

"Illumina took every minute, nit-picking piece of feedback, and kept everybody on track."

Feb. 2015 - Sept. 2015

Illumina Filmworks provided a diversity-focused video, bringing together several opinions and presenting multiple options. Their work started from scratch, and they provided story development and production.

10,001 + Employees

Jonathan Mast
Director of Social Media, Sedgwick

The video has garnered three national awards and high praise from the company internally, and it has become an integral part of onboarding new employees. Illumina Filmworks worked exceptionally well, balanced all stakeholders’ perspectives, and completed the project with a sense of vision.

I’m the director of social media and digital strategy for Sedgwick. We have about 15,000 colleagues in seven countries. We’re the leading provider of technology-enabled risk-and-benefit solutions. I was also part of the diversity and inclusion council.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illumina Filmworks?

We were in the process of starting our diversity and inclusion initiative within the organization. We wanted to develop a visual story that we could share with colleagues, clients, and stakeholders. These videos would help them understand our commitment and belief in the importance of diversity and inclusion.

We were starting from scratch. The council had 11 members, and I think everyone had a vision in their heads, but no one had been able to put that onto paper yet. I’m the only one of the committee who had done video work, so the concept of how that was even going to begin was challenging for the other members.

We had a series of calls with Illumina first to talk them through where we had been as a group over the last several months. Then we had a series of calls to help Illumina sense what our culture was, to hear and take in each member’s vision. We provided them with collateral material, and they researched other aspects of our company. They came up with a couple ways to go about it. We really liked their ideas, and we collaborated on determining which option was the best. We ended up with just one video, and I think the total run-length came out to three minutes and 17 seconds.

How did you come to work with Illumina Filmworks?

I’ve had a long working relationship with Dave Constine, who is one of the partners at Illumina. I’d met him when he was with a different firm. We’d made a change, after using the same company for 15 years, and Dave was instrumental in coming in with that organization. I knew a lot about his professionalism and camera work, as well as his ability to direct a project, meet the budget, and come in on schedule. When I learned that he and Rustin had forged Illumina, I was excited. Three firms had submitted bids, visions, and ideas. Our group voted on those three, and Illumina was chosen for their overall package, approach to the plan, and ability to meet our budget.

How much have you invested with Illumina Filmworks?

I think Illumina did a fantastic job understanding our needs. At the time, they were the only firm in the area who had a 4K camera, and we still completed the project within our budget guidelines of $25,000–$30,000.

We started discussions in February of 2015. We filmed in March and April, and then our company had a shift in focus and budget. We had to postpone for a little bit, then we picked it back up again in July. The project was completed in September of 2015, and the video went live on December 16th of that year.

The video has been a tremendous success. Between Illumina’s and our entries, we’ve garnered three national awards for the film. This past December, we received a PR Newswire Diversity and Inclusion Award. I flew with our diversity leader to the National Press Club in Washington DC to accept that award. I think the best quote was when our CEO said, “This looks like a Wall Street quality advertisement.” I thought that was pretty high praise. We have clients who want to know what our commitment is to diversity and inclusion.

The video is linked on our Careers page, on our YouTube channel, and it’s shown in sales presentations almost weekly. We have almost 5,000 external views on our YouTube channel. It was pushed out to 12,000 colleagues to watch on their desktop. I’m sure it’s been seen well over 10,000 times by various audiences. It’s shown to every new colleague that we hire, and we hired 1,400 people last year. I’m pleased with Illumina, and I certainly would use them again.

How did Illumina Filmworks perform from a project management standpoint?

I’m sure we drove them crazy, working with very high-expectation individuals, many of them at the executive vice president level in our company. Illumina took every minute, nit-picking piece of feedback, and kept everybody on track. We met our deadlines. The filming piece was done exceptionally well. We shot on-site for two days in one of our local offices, and then we had a daylong shoot at a studio. They kept our spend in mind and achieved the goal to everyone’s satisfaction.

What did you find most impressive about Illumina Filmworks?

I was excited to use them because Dave always has a great vision. He’s able to think through and bring something to life in the field. Rustin does a very good job of writing. Taking some loose ideas from our group and bringing back two scripts that both had good potential, and then to weave that all together, was definitely a challenge for them and one they met. I think it’s the details that Dave has because being sloppy is just not acceptable when shooting a video.

Are there any areas Illumina Filmworks could improve?

Not really. It’s hard to knock when we got three national awards, and everyone got accolades all the way around.

Overall Score They’re constantly adding new equipment and don’t settle for a cookie-cutter approach. It’s good to do business with a vendor who never settles for the same thing they’ve always done.
    They met our deadline.
    We had a tight budget. Dave and Rustin did their best to seek out viable options, working with us to determine cast and crew. They figured out how to achieve all that without breaking our budget.
    They had good communication, and they finished the project on time.
    I’ve already referred them multiple times.

Success Story Videos for Engineering Consulting Firm

"They're not just going to be a robot; they will listen, suggest, and advise on the best way to create a video."

Oct. 2013 - Dec. 2013

Over three months, Illumina Filmworks provided the scripts and production of 13 cohesive videos. The team worked in a tight window to create products that could be used externally as well as internally.

10,001 + Employees

Eric Salzman
Sr. Motion Graphics Designer, Black & Veatch

The videos helped increase brand recognition; employees and clients alike know the company better. Illumina Filmworks delivered fantastic work, even though the stories were not fully fleshed out when the work began. The team significantly sped up the project and delivered the work on time.

Black & Veatch is an engineering consulting firm. I work within the global marketing communications team. My main role is video manager and animator.

What challenge were you trying to address with Illumina Filmworks?

We have an annual review at the end of each year, including a printed version and success story videos to highlight our best and biggest projects. We do a video for each of those, and Illumina Filmworks helped us with a total of 13. The videos were produced for external use, mainly for marketing and promotions.

We had an internal person writing the stories, but they were not fully developed, and we were approaching a really tight window of production to get things done. We brought in Illumina Filmworks to help us out with that. We had the stories and locations, but we didn’t have full scripts when Illumina got involved. They have a great writer on staff, and they can work very fast. They put the rest of the stories together so that all 13 videos were cohesive. We got them done on time. It was very helpful to have the production finish the stories at Illumina.

How did you come to work with Illumina Filmworks?

I knew Dave Constine, the owner, when he was with another group. They had worked with us on a concept video. Dave was very helpful, and he knew production from start to end. We worked with him again, while he was with the previous company, on a video that had a tight deadline. A year or two later, he started his own company. It's that previous relationship and trust that we had in Dave that made us reach back out to him.

How much have you invested with Illumina Filmworks?

I do not have that information.

We started working together in October of 2013, and the work ended in December of that year.

The videos helped us increase our brand recognition. A lot of people, both within the company and external clients, know us better because of these videos. If we hadn’t gotten those first 13 videos out, we would have been further behind than what we had planned.

The work was received very well by the company. That has helped us out to keep interest within, with our different divisions wanting to showcase the work that Illumina has done.

How did Illumina Filmworks perform from a project management standpoint?

We didn’t give them a lot to work with. However, what they delivered was fantastic. The stories for the videos were not fleshed out at all. We had some assets, but there was no script for any of them. They really came through. They developed everything successfully. I wasn’t part of the project management at that time, so I can’t comment on communication or deadlines. I do know that they were able to speed up the project, and the videos were done in time for our annual review.

What did you find most impressive about Illumina Filmworks?

I think it’s the team's ability to listen to what we wanted, and then suggest what would work that impressed us the most. They're not just going to be a robot; they will listen, suggest, and advise on the best way to create a video. He doesn’t push his idea, and if the executives want something done a certain way, he will agree with them. So, he’s got a good balance.

Are there any areas Illumina Filmworks could improve?

I don’t know of anything they could have done better.

Overall Score They’re very professional, and they know what they’re doing.
    They’ve never ignored a phone call. They showed up on time and delivered everything on the agreed date.
    They do exactly as they say they will. They delivered on time and in the exact format we wanted.
    I’ve referred them already.