The antidote to the big agency experience

IdeaWork was founded on one simple principle: be the antidote to the big agency experience. We strive to produce the best work on time and on budget, without the traditional big agency bureaucracy.

IdeaWork Studios is a full-service branding, advertising, graphic design and website development firm with offices in Santa Barbara, New York, and Las Vegas. We love what we do and our work is impactful. We will build your brand.

IdeaWork works with a high profile list of prominent clients in hospitality, nightlife, gaming, luxury, retail, and entertainment. We start trends, chase new technology, and learn from each new challenge.

1999
    Santa Barbara, CA 93101
  • 4045 South Spencer Street, Suite A51A
    Las Vegas, NV 89109

Development and Marketing for Hospitality Group

"We’ve had a continued and ongoing relationship with them for over 3 years now."

2013 - Ongoing

IdeaWork has developed several websites for the client, a hospitality company. They also manage multiple marketing campaigns and content development.

501-1000

New York City, New York
Christa Weaving
Marketing, Charlie Palmer Group

Though project management is cited as an area for improvement, the client is generally satisfied with IdeaWork's deliverables and pricing. They plan to continue their 3-year relationship.

We’re a hospitality company with 14 restaurants and 3 hotels around the country. I’m the vice president of marketing. I handle all channels of marketing, such as media relations, digital marketing, and brand management.

What challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork?

I wouldn’t say it was a challenge per se. My team is pretty busy. We are lean and we have a lot going on, this is why we use an agency.

IdeaWork manages most of our digital content. They have developed several of our websites and also handle monthly maintenance. At the moment, they’re responsible for CharliePalmer.com, HarvestInn.com, Harvest Table’s website, and Crimson & Rye’s website. They also managed some of our digital marketing campaigns, particularly for our hotel. They conceptualized all of the brand ID for the Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer, our hotel in the Napa Valley. This brand ID was executed across all print and digital channels. We’ve shifted the hotel campaigns to a more specialized national marketing company, but IdeaWork still handles the campaigns for our restaurants.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork?

We had liked the work that IdeaWork had done for a similar restaurant group. After we discovered who had created the site, we reached out to IdeaWork.

How much have you invested with IdeaWork?

We pay monthly retainer fees as well as bigger project fees. I would say we’ve spent more than $100,000 on IdeaWork’s services.

IdeaWork started working with us in 2013. We’ve had a continued and ongoing relationship with them for over 3 years now.

We have metrics attached to the campaigns for restaurants. From a website perspective, we can always look at the analytics. We can see what visitor numbers look like and how they have changed over time. From a creative standpoint, that’s a little more difficult to assess, of course. I would say we’re generally happy with the work that IdeaWork provided.

How did IdeaWork perform from a project management standpoint?

I would say that this has been one of our challenges in recent months, maybe even going back a little further. There have been some personnel shifts in their project management team. As a result, projects will often fall by the wayside and we’ll have to follow up. We’ll give ample lead time for major project deadlines and then IdeaWork would still miss them. That is disappointing because I really like working with them and it hasn’t seemed to get much better. If we open up the lines of communication for a new project and send it to IdeaWork, we often have to follow up with them before work can begin. I take responsibility for that too, but this is business for them and we want them to take the lead. Project management is definitely one of the challenges. We work with a number of different agencies on the creative side, on the campaign side, and then also on the PR side, and you always have to follow up. It’s part of working with agencies, unfortunately.

What did you find most impressive about IdeaWork?

Jay, David and I have a great relationship. Most of my communication is directly with them, apart from the daily project management stuff. When we have new projects, I can go directly to them. We are friends as well. We’ll grab drinks or coffee together whenever everybody’s in town, so that always helps. We all like doing business with friends. Also, Jay truly understands the luxury hospitality space. He works with some of the best out there and has great, fresh ideas. At the same time, he will also listen to me if I want to make a change. This is good since sometimes creative people get a little territorial about ideas.

Are there any areas IdeaWork could improve?

It would be nice if we could get more reports on the marketing campaign side. I’ll take some responsibility in that, too. I don’t ask for it all the time either, except for when we need it.

They are very fair.

Web Development for Luxury Hotel

"They listen to you but at the same time, they also take the needed creative control."

Nov. 2015 - Mar. 2016

IdeaWork developed a new website for the client to coincide with their rebranding efforts. They were also involved in the strategy and design phases.

Charleston, South Carolina
Owner, The Restoration On King Boutique Hotel

The client appreciated IdeaWork's expertise and guidance. They completed the project on an accelerated timeline, and feedback from customers has been very positive.

I am an owner of a luxury boutique hotel in Charleston, South Carolina.

What challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork?

Our hotel needed a complete rebranding and a completely new look. It was a challenge to go from a small, almost bed and breakfast place—into something more sophisticated. As a hospitality business, we have multiple outlets. Aside from the hotel itself, we have a rooftop restaurant, a retail store, a spa, and a coffee shop. Obviously, booking rooms is the most important factor as people need to do that first. We needed to make sure that was front and center on our site. Our guests also needed to know about our different activities and special events, so we had to get them to the calendar. All these different things had to interact on our site. It also had to be user-friendly.

IdeaWork really helped with the design of the website and how it would flow. Our in-house creative director helped create the look that we wanted. IdeaWork then turned that look into a digital presence and helped maximize our platform. Ideawork took our new branding and determined how it would speak to the guest digitally. They helped develop the wireframe and figure out which categories to highlight. There was a lot of back and forth on how that would work and what would go first on the site. We wanted users to check out different pieces and keep getting interested as they continue to scroll through the site.

We provided all the content such as copy, imagery, anything like that. Then IdeaWork developed the site, how it was going to interact, and all the different links. Thanks to the CMS, we can make little changes that aren't structural, such as adding imagery or copy. For big things like changing the structure, moving big pieces around, then we go back to IdeaWork and they do it for us. I'm not very web savvy. I know what I want things to look like but I couldn't tell you exactly how it was built. They know how the site adapts if it’s used on mobile compared to a computer or iPad. I go onto these mediums all the time and it does a very good job of adapting.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork?

That's probably a question for our creative director, who lives in New York. We contacted IdeaWork because they had worked with lots of hospitality companies that we felt fit into our category. Their experience fit within what we were trying to do. I'm glad it worked out, but we chose them based on the fact that we thought it was going to work out.

How much have you invested with IdeaWork?

We spent $25,000 to $30,000 on IdeaWork’s services.

We began the process in November and finished by March.

I can't give any metrics because we just opened an entirely new brand. We've been operating for 9 months now and it’s a big task on so many levels. IdeaWork was able to create a quality product at a faster timeline because of the resources they have. They are such a competent company that they could easily make this work and get us where we needed to be.

Our brand targets the 35 to 50 market. Our customers have disposable income, like to travel, and are looking for a boutique experience. We get many of those people. What's interesting is that the feedback about the website is coming from an even younger crowd. These are the kids of the 50-year-olds—in their teens or twenties—saying, “I want to go stay there.”

We've had people come to the hotel because they say the website looks so cool. That is really neat because it drives them to our Instagram page. They look at that and go, “Wow, your imagery is amazing. It looks like a really cool hotel.” That then gets them to say, “Mom, dad I want to go stay here.” Then their parents say, “We've stayed here because our kids love your website. They loved all the imagery and all sort of stuff.” Our other clientele doesn't really give a lot of feedback about it because they don't think in that sense most of the time.

How did IdeaWork perform from a project management standpoint?

I thought they did very well. They were pretty easy to get a hold of and were there for support. Being the owner, I'm involved in about 70% of the conversations. Our creative director drove the whole process and I think he was very happy with IdeaWork’s communication. The updates that I saw were pretty thorough. To be able to get it done on time, we had a tighter timeline than usual. Typically, it takes a good 5 to 7 months, or even longer, to get this type of site developed. We started from the ground floor. It wasn't like they came in and built on stuff that we had. I think we got it done within about 4 1/2.

What did you find most impressive about IdeaWork?

Overall, the experience was positive. I usually work with smaller developers so, obviously, it’s better to work with someone a bit larger and more sophisticated. Given the parameters that we had, it was a good back and forth.

There are some design things that, creatively, we wanted to add that they felt were really not right. This isn't a negative comment; it's always interesting to work together with a lot of creative minds. You respect it when they say, “Look, I'm also helping design this. When you look at the overall picture, I'm trying to guide you. This is going to be a lot better in the long run, even though you might think you want this type of thing.” Creatively, it is important to have people that aren't just doing things for you. Things can get lost with too many hands in the pot.

I think they did a really good job of saying, “We can do this; I don't think you really want to do that. Let's wait on doing that so that you can sit with it for a while.” There was an interesting creative dynamic. They listen to you but at the same time, they also take the needed creative control. When you're in charge of a project, you're in charge of that entire piece of that project. To me, it's not a negative; it was a good way to get honest feedback. If we felt like we were going in the wrong direction, I knew that they would tell us that. That was good.

Are there any areas IdeaWork could improve?

There was probably one aspect of the website where we had some miscommunication. Again, that's one of those things where it was a new relationship. You go, “Okay, I thought it was going to be this or that,” and it didn't really work out to anyone's liking. I think that's a working relationship and getting to know each other issue. Everything else was great. I thought a lot of stuff that they did was good. It's always about expectations, I think. My expectations weren’t super high. We just needed to get this site up and it needed to look good. They answered those expectations and we're happy with the result. In the next few years, we'll look at that website and keep making it better.

Overall Score Everyone, I think, walked away happy.
    There were obviously fluctuations here and there, maybe a day or 2. I don't recall any time that I got overly frustrated because I thought they were slow.
    Just because you always want it cheaper. It’s expensive to make websites that are incredibly dynamic and fantastic. I think they were very reasonable and you get what you pay for.
    There was never a guess on what we were going to get. I understood very, very well what it was going to be; there were no surprises.
    I’d definitely recommend them, but only to people who need that type of website.

Web Design For Real Estate Development Group

"IdeaWork is great to work with, and don't nickel and dime you on every single change."

2008 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios supports design, branding, and development projects for a hotel company. They build websites, research locations, design logos, and create a range of marketing collateral.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Vice President, Weber Holdings

The website runs smoothly and garners praise from industry trendsetters, and IdeaWork Studios' brand research has exposed valuable opportunities. By staying in touch with the team's daily operations, the senior leadership ensures prompt turnarounds, affordable pricing, and exceptional quality.

I work for Weber Holdings, our family-owned company. We're a real estate development group, aimed toward hospitality. We own a couple of hotels, 30,000 square feet of Class A office space, and industrial space. We have other projects under way for multifamily high-end apartments and condos.

I am the vice president and senior project leader.

What business challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork Studios?

Our first project with IdeaWork focused on the Charmant Hotel, a boutique-style hotel located in La Crosse, Wisconsin. We opened out a few months ago and set out to find a hospitality website company that could handle our niche – namely a boutique smaller property with high design and excellent service.

They kicked off the Charmant Hotel website, and now we're working with them on a project for a leading restaurant called the Waterfront. We're doing a revamp on the website. We've also hired them to do the Weber Holdings branding and website development. It is one of our larger developments: a mixed-use project involving retail, hospitality, office, commercial, financial, and multifamily areas.

Other projects involved creating a mission statement logo and choosing the naming for our establishments. They set up calls and meetings with local historians, research what a specific site had been used for historically, and figure out how we can tie into that. It's a la carte – their involvement changes with every project.

We have not used them for any kind of marketing per se. We use some of their materials for our marketing efforts but, until now, their contribution has been web design and branding.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork Studios?

We looked across some of the other boutiques in the country, and narrowed our search based on which ones we liked, checked out their websites, and narrowed the choice to two or three firms, which we interviewed and offered proposals for our website's design. IdeaWork was one of them. After talking with David [Rayner, IdeaWork Studios's vice president of strategy and development], Jay [Schwartz, IdeaWork Studios's chief creative officer], and their team, we felt comfortable. They were competitive in their proposal, but also very creative and forward thinking. They fit our mold.

It depends on what services we contract from them and how many pieces of physical weatherheads and business cards you require. We've run a number of projects with them, and they've been very flexible in giving us all-in project discounts, which typically involves a 20 to 25 percent discount off the top end.

For minor website redesign, the average price is $10,000 to $15,000. If they're starting from scratch, the price for a brand new website will be $20,000 to $40,000. This depends on the complexity. For instance, the Charmant has a reservation system, and the descriptions are more in-depth. Our Weber Holdings page is more informational. Branding is in the neighborhood of $20,000 to $40,000.

The initial project started approximately 18 months ago [June 2014]. We're still working with them.

We're very pleased overall as far as their website work. The operator of a hotel group in Chicago, which is four times the size of ours, has commented that our website blows theirs out of the water. The results speak for themselves.

The branding efforts are just getting off. We're going through our first exercises for the naming in some of our mixed-use projects. The first round took place a week ago [December 2015]. We came back with some great possibilities. They tapped into historical information and understood that the local community is very history-rich, and take a lot of pride in it. IdeaWork has dug into some of the roots, and we've uncovered great options.

There are no issues with the website. Everything runs smooth. IdeaWork is great to work with, and don't nickel and dime you on every single change you want to make. Obviously, a change in the general direction may come with a change in cost, but not small stuff. At a previous company we've worked with, any tiny deviation amounted to a huge change order.

How did IdeaWork Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

Their turnaround time is quick – better than another group we'd worked with early on. For a project that would have taken us nine months to finalize in the past, IdeaWork will only require six or even four months.

Our first branding presentation was supposed to have taken place a week earlier than it did. This is not a huge issue at all. Aside from that, they've been great.

They assign a project manager to each job. The principals also stay involved, which means a lot. They don't hand us off to someone we don't know. Jay and David were involved in the beginning and are still involved.

What distinguishes IdeaWork Studios from other providers?

They work on big projects, but don't act as such. They're very hands on. In our industry, in all spectrums, not just design and branding, this is important.

Much of the time, you will meet with the principals of a company, who have built that business, get sold on them and, once they project starts, you get handed down to two or three people below the hierarchy. That's not the case with IdeaWork.

Is there anything IdeaWork Studios could have improved or done differently?

Not yet. I am sure that there are things that could be better but, overall, they're exceeding our expectations. They're very good to work with and go with the flow.

I already have, which speaks for itself. They've been used by that group.

Web Design For Fine Dining Restaurant

"They are small, flexible and ready to get interesting work done."

Feb. 2015 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios designed, developed, and hosted a website for a restaurant's two locations. The website defined an entirely fresh and original identity for the brand.

San Francisco Bay Area
Kathleen Bahet
Website Planning & Content Development Consultant, Cetrella Restaurants

IdeaWork Studios built a rich, dynamic website that perfectly harmonizes its aesthetic elements and attracts an impressive amount of interest. It is highly responsive and navigable from any device. The team impressed with their  design acumen, collaborative skill, and personalized approach.

Cetrella Restaurant opened in 2001 in Half Moon Bay, California. It is a destination restaurant and was launched in relation to the Ritz Carlton opening. The California coast provides a good business base for tourism. My husband M'hamed Bahet is Partner and General Manager of Cetrella and has been working there since it opened.

What business challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork?

The owners had been looking to add a new location. After a five-year search they decided on Los Altos in the heart of Silicon Valley. They found a really great space that was being built from scratch at the gateway to the main street, part of a business complex. So going from the coast to the valley provided a good time to refresh the concept of the restaurant, which had originally been associated with the island of Capri off Italy. So the original concept was adapted to focus on Mediterranean-Rim and Californian Coastal cuisine.

Having been involved with some of the design work for the original website, I began looking for a creative team to develop a completely new website that would be an umbrella for both restaurants.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

IdeaWork did the complete website redesign. We started talking to them in the winter and then we worked through the summer until it was launched. They’re hosting our site as well.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork?

I had worked with creative teams when I was in New York doing art museum and gallery curatorial work. I began thinking about what kind of change was needed. I started by looking at some restaurants that we would consider peers in terms of quality, but by going to Silicon Valley we had an opportunity to elevate our performance for a new clientele. I looked at leading chefs in Napa, Monterey and New York and discovered that IdeaWork had worked with two of them, Charlie Palmer and Jean-Georges Vongerichten. So that’s how I found them. Cetrella's Executive Chef, Mike Ellis, worked with Charlie Palmer in Washington D.C. and Napa with the Voltaggio brothers.

After a close look, I felt that IdeaWork really suited us both in terms of its edgy design temperament and superb quality. They also offered a full range of services, from design to programming through launch and hosting. That really was ideal for what we wanted to do.

That information is confidential.

I think we reached out to them in February and started the basic dialogue in February or March of 2015. The website launched in August, and our relationship is ongoing. Anytime I have something to ask, I just check with them, and they’re always quick to respond.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or other feedback from your work with IdeaWork?

You can look at the website and see that it’s a full service, fully functioning site. It has elements built in that we can expand out, like a jazz area that I’m going to develop along the model of what the Montreux Jazz Festival in France is doing. The website is really excellent for what we were looking for. It’s very dynamic and fully fleshed out in terms of the creative vision that I developed while working with the original intentions of the owners, and expressing how those intentions had evolved over time along with what this new step means for them.

Between the design work done by IdeaWork, which really met the concept that I expressed to them, and how that work paired really well with the work that was done by a prominent food photographer, Eric Wolfinger, we have a very compelling and dynamic website that’s easy to navigate and works easily between desktop and mobile. I can do menu updates seamlessly and then check them for both desktop and mobile on my MacBook Pro very easily.

We’re finding that we’re getting a great response for private dining, which is critical in Silicon Valley, but which is actually very active for both locations thanks to the web forms IdeaWork developed for us.

What distinguishes IdeaWork from other providers?

IdeaWork Studios has a fantastic team that works really well together. I worked with the owner, Jay Schwartz, and his staff David Rayner and Adrienne Stephen. I love their motto that IdeaWork Studios is the antidote to the big agency experience! As a design agency, it is focused, agile and delivers a compelling design performance, as its logo of the dog leaping through the hoop shows—and they do all that for some really great clients. While we interact with them, I never get the feeling that we matter less than their prominent clients. So when anything comes up I’m able to get a very quick response.

Is there anything IdeaWork could have improved or done differently?

I’m really very pleased. We’ve had no trouble whatsoever with the hosting. I feel that with what they’re doing, they’ve got everything under control. There were a few little things here and there in the design process in terms of schedule. I always felt they were very responsive on the design end of things, which is critical. As is understood in the creatives industry, everybody involved was very flexible with scheduling.

Things changed for us just as much as they did for them, so I don’t have any criticism. I don’t think it would be fair to say less than We were opening a new space, and construction schedules can always fluctuate.

Web Design and Branding for Boutique Hotel

"All of the work they’ve done for us has been original and beautiful."

2014 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios provided brand consultation for a boutique hotel. They selected a name, designed logos and fonts, developed decor and marketing materials, and built a website and digital program.

Antonia Batalias
Owner, Boro Hotel

IdeaWork Studio's charming, innovative prototypes gave the hotels a unique personality, which integrated seamlessly with the website's design. The team is accessible and proactive, meticulously managing deadlines and content. Their expertise produced a sophisticated, consistent brand identity.

We are a real estate development company. We have developed a 108 room boutique hotel in Long Island City, Queens.

I am the owner of the hotel.

What business challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork Studios?

We approached IdeaWork to help us give an identity to our boutique hotel.

We had an idea for the name we wanted, but we weren’t entirely sure. I think our first exercise was to go through some suggestions, and we ended up selecting a name from them. We also had them work creatively for us on a logo associated with the name, as well as typesetting fonts for the logo. They worked on all the collateral associated with the hotel, as well as the website design. They also managed a digital marketing program for our online presence.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork Studios?

We initially reached out to a local agency, and we also reached out to another entrepreneur that worked in the New York hospitality space. We did a first round with those two parties, but we didn’t love the results. Then I started looking for somebody else, and I came across IdeaWork as I was doing research on properties that I liked. When I saw their creative website work, I wanted to explore them further. They had also worked with another development company that we’re quite fond of.

This information will remain confidential.

We started working with them in 2014, and the hotel opened in July of 2015. We are still working together for updates to our site. We were so thrilled with their work that we decided to put them on retainer for our marketing needs. We’re also considering using them for some social media work.

The first line of work we did was with the creative aspect, and we went through different iterations until we chose one. They custom designed things like our Do Not Disturb signs; they came up with the genius idea to make them magnets. They designed our room key, and I love the way they tied it into some of the textures and materials found in our lobby. They also had a genius idea to put a custom illustrated map on our keys, which everyone seems to love. So they did all sorts of little things on the creative side. They custom designed our website from start to finish, tying it into our reservation system.

They’re easy to get in touch with as well. The three different members of the team we’ve dealt with really complement each other.

What distinguishes IdeaWork Studios from other providers?

IdeaWork Studios is very creative. All of the work they’ve done for us has been original and beautiful. I feel that they gave my company a real identity, which we value very much. The same with the digital work they’ve done for us. The website is really unique, original, and it fits us perfectly. It’s very user-friendly, and it’s also been very effective.

With practical matters, it’s been great working with them. They are regulated self-starters. They usually have to chase me for information, not the other way around, which is very refreshing. They remind me of upcoming deadlines, and things I need to give them.

Is there anything IdeaWork Studios could have improved or done differently?

Honestly, no. There’s nothing I would do differently. They’re great.

I would definitely highly recommend them.

Web Design For Hotels

"IdeaWork Studios delivered two very beautiful, unique websites that we constantly get compliments on."

IdeaWork Studios redeveloped two outdated hotel websites. They enhanced user experience, boosted sales, built strong SEO rankings, streamlined processes with a custom CMS, and managed hosting.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Britney Penouilh
Art Director, Ekistics

The new websites demand attention with their polished branding, fluid functionality, and highly engaging content. They consistently rank well on search engines and attract compliments from users. IdeaWork Studios brought an adaptive approach, always translating feedback into elegant solutions.

We are New Orleans-based real estate firm that designs and operates residential lofts and boutique hotels.

What is your role at the company?

I am the art director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with IdeaWork Studios?

We had two properties with websites that were outdated and didn't accurately depict the property. They were also not well branded and functionally insufficient.

We wanted to build two hotel websites for optimal online experience, increase sales and bookings, increase brand exposure with strong organic search ranking, build database of guests, and a custom content management system.

The work involved front-end websites for two hotels, back-end content management system, initial content entry, organic search optimization, hosting, and reporting.

How did you come to work with IdeaWork Studios?

We admired websites that IdeaWork had created for Ian Schrager and other hotels within our competitive set. Third parties in the industry suggested to us that IdeaWork had particular competency when it comes to functionality.

It was from $40,000 to $50,000.

When was the project completed?

It ended on September 30, 2015.

What were the results of the project?

We received two websites designed in our visual voice with exceptional functionality from IdeaWork. This gave us better branding, more functionality, dynamic content, and search engine optimization.

IdeaWork performed very well. IdeaWork Studios delivered two very beautiful, unique websites that we constantly get compliments on. A perfect touch point for our businesses.

What distinguishes IdeaWork Studios from other providers?

They had tremendous flexibility. Every time we pushed back on design, we were always able to arrive at a solution that was both functional and beautiful.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

The only thing is that account management was a little messy and our team was not consistently updated.

Web Design For Chelsea Hotels

"With IdeaWork Studios, we can get to work quicker."

2008 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios completely redesigned a hotel chain's corporate website. They aligned the site with existing brand standards and ensured that it performed smoothly on all mobile devices.

Jim Zito
VP of Marketing, Chelsea Hotels

The new site performed beautifully and received extremely positive feedback. IdeaWork Studios distinguished themselves with their willingness to simplify and streamline the design and development processes. The relationship was so valuable that the team returned to provide ongoing maintainance.

Please describe your company.

We are a hotel and real estate company based in New York City. We own and operate hotels.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I am the chief revenue officer. I oversee the sales, marketing and revenue operations for the company.

What was your goal in working with IdeaWork Studios?

We needed them to do a complete rebuild of our company’s entire website.

They worked closely with our branding agency to translate our brand for the Web and to be sure the brand works with all devices, including mobile apps.

What was your process for selecting IdeaWork Studios with which to work?

I originally worked with them when I was with another company. I then brought them into this company. We’ve maintained a relationship during the last six to eight years.

We’ve spent about $60,000 working with IdeaWork Studios.

How satisfied are you with the work IdeaWork Studios has done on your website?

I’m very satisfied. The feedback has been great, and the performance has been fantastic. We have an ongoing maintenance agreement with them, so they’re working with my team to support daily operations of our Web program. It’s been great so far.

Is there anything unique about IdeaWork Studios that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

They don’t make things unnecessarily complicated. Agencies sometimes can complicate things, and I like to cut through certain stages. With IdeaWork Studios, we can get to work quicker than with another agency.

What advice would you give to a future client of theirs?

Don’t be afraid to push them a little. Sometimes, it makes them uncomfortable, but it ultimately ends up helping them develop a better product, and they know it.

Web Design For Gym Brand

"They’re personable, they’re timely, they communicate, and they get the job done."

2011 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios provides a range of marketing services for a gym brand. They focus on web development and design, content creation, SEO and SEM, and email marketing campaigns.

San Francisco Bay Area
Director of Marketing, Gym Brand

IdeaWork Studios delivers outstanding work that reflects a genuine dedication to their clients' success. The team works hard, builds innovative solutions, and brings  creative zest to every project. Their flexibility, friendly communication, and willingness to share their expertise set them apart.

Please describe your company.

We’re an international fitness company. We have both franchise and corporate owned gyms in the United States and Australia. We’re slated to grow in four different continents this year.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I’m the marketing director.

What was your goal in working with IdeaWork Studios?

In the beginning, IdeaWork managed everything from website development to content creation, creative design, marketing campaigns, SEO [search engine optimization], and SEM [search engine marketing]. During the course of time, as our business grew, they became more specialized, focusing just on our website, SEO, SEM, and email.

IdeaWork is responsible for website development, content creation, creative design, marketing campaigns, SEO, SEM, and email communications.

What was your process for selecting IdeaWork Studios?

One of their employees worked for us through a different company, and we were comfortable with his work. When he moved to IdeaWork, it was a natural fit for us to continue our relationship, knowing that he understood our operational mindset and our marketing goals. We didn’t look at anybody else because IdeaWork understood our industry and our needs.

That information is confidential. Their costs are very competitive, and they were always able to work within our budget.

What were the results of your relationship with IdeaWork Studios?

We began working with IdeaWork four years ago. We are still working with them, although they are not doing as much for us right now because we’re able to bring in more people in house. I still have them working on SEM and SEO, and have them consulting with our new website developers.

They’re a great fit. IdeaWork is very innovative, hardworking, and very passionate about the brands they work with. As you can tell by their portfolio, they don’t work with just anybody. They are very selective about the projects they want to work on, and they’re very passionate about those projects. For me in marketing, I want people to understand our brand, and I feel that they do.

They truly care about our brand. They’re personable, they’re timely, they communicate, and they get the job done. Because of that, I’m loyal to them over other agencies because of the relationship we’ve built.

What advice would you give to future clients?

If a client is looking for an agency, and IdeaWork is willing to work with them, they’re going to get a team that’s fully engaged. At the end of the day, IdeaWork does a fantastic job, and I’d recommend them to anybody.

Overall Score I don’t think anybody’s perfect, but these guys are close. They’re small and they’re efficient. They do a good job.

Web Design For Gramercy Management Group

"They have a broad knowledge of advertising and marketing and thus can draw on a wide experience."

Feb. 2009 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios provides a range of branding services to a management firm. They design websites and logos, create branding materials, direct advertising and photo shoots, and manage databases.

San Diego, California
Andy Hersch
Principal, Gramercy Management

IdeaWork Studios not only delivers exceptional results, but also teaches the in-house team valuable marketing and analytics principles. Their proven expertise, combined with an eclectic creative approach, produces consistently solid ideas. Speedy turnarounds and responses keep the process fresh.

Please describe your company.

My company is called the Gramercy Management Group. We have a contract with the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego to take care of all their hospitality, entertainment, and beverage operations. We have contracted IdeaWork to do the work for that account.

I’m the president.

What was your goal for working with IdeaWork Studios?

We needed a provider who could take care of all our marketing and advertising needs.

They did everything for us. They designed our website and logo, created our brand, took care of advertising and photo shoots and handled all the database management. They’ve done it all for us.

What was your process for selecting IdeaWork Studios with which to work?

I was an employee at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas 10 years ago, and IdeaWork had done a lot of the work for the casino. When I got the account for Hard Rock, San Diego, they were my first and only call.

When did you start working with them and is the relationship ongoing?

The relationship started in February of 2009 and is ongoing.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

Their work is fantastic. They’re responsive, their turnaround time is great, and they have taken the time to teach me things like analytics, as well as other features that are important.

Is there anything unique about IdeaWork Studios that really makes them stand out, compared to other companies?

I think their strength is their creativity. Their customer base is very diverse, so their work doesn’t just fall into one stereotypical niche. They have a broad knowledge of advertising and marketing and thus can draw on a wide experience base. This allows them to suggest advertising ideas that we may not originally have had in mind.

I’ve done that several times.

Web Design For Jean-Georges Restaurants

"I feel like they’ve become my coworkers rather than just an agency we work with."

2011 - Ongoing

IdeaWork Studios designed and developed a portfolio website, logo, and brand identity that accurately portrayed a restaurant group’s public image. They now also provide marketing materials.

Lina Varriale
Executive Assistant, Jean-Georges Restaurant Group

The website drew impressive amounts of traffic, improved business, and collected multiple design awards. All of IdeaWork Studios' work stands out for its simplicity and elegance. The team built a friendly, collaborative relationship by accommodating tight deadlines and detailed feedback.

Please describe your company.

Our company is Jean-Georges Management. We are an international restaurant group, with seven restaurants in New York City and 25 in total.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the executive assistant and press coordinator. I handle all of the PR [public relations] and marketing, social media, website and brand development with the help of IdeaWork.

What was your goal for working with IdeaWork Studios?

About three years ago, right when I came onboard, our website was horrible. It really didn’t highlight our work and what we did. It was confusing. It was an old HTML type of site. We had them come in; they created a brand new website, which is pretty much a portfolio of our entire operations. They also advised us to create specific restaurant pages that never existed before, so that it would be a more cohesive brand. They helped us with logo and branding with one of our newest restaurants. We’re continuing to move forward with them, and now we’re going into some video development that they’ve helped us with. We’re hoping to move into that direction for 2015.

They provided us with services ranging from Web design and development, logo design, and branding.

What was your process for selecting Idea Work Studios with which to work?

Our VP of operations did. I know that they worked with one of our partners on their website, so we had great feedback from them. We loved their website, and their style is very much like ours. We’re a simplistic, modern, timeless kind of restaurant group, and that’s what we found in their websites.

What were the results of the project?

We started working together in 2011, and the work is ongoing.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

I don’t have specific data to share, but I know our traffic is constantly growing. Their e-blasts are very successful. We’ve seen an increase in business ever since we started with them, and we give them a lot of credit for that. Working with their team is amazing; I feel like they’ve become my coworkers rather than just an agency we work with. They’re very accommodating, they will edit things a million times and deal with last minute deadlines. They’re just wonderful people.

Our main website has received many awards for their design. We also have had people try to replicate our website, which to me is a compliment, although to them it’s a copyright issue.

Everybody has said how beautiful their work is. I actually started printing out some of our competitors e-blasts just to compare to and in my mind thought "wow, ours are just so beautiful." Their work is a step above most designers.

I have to say no. It’s been three years since we’ve developed most of these websites, and they’ve brought to the table new ideas to bring that forward. There’s really nothing I could say that I would change.

I am constantly recommending them.