Custom Digital Experiences for Mobile, AR & VR

Hyperflow Labs creates custom mobile applications and augmented reality & virtual reality experiences. Using emerging technologies we create products, services and engaging experiences. We can work with you through every step; Ideation, Prototyping, UX/UI Design, Development, Launch, Support.

Ottawa, Canada
  • Ottawa, ON

Canadian Museum of Nature

Fisher Price

Crayola

3D Viz & Web Dev for Canadian Museum of Nature

"We got what we wanted in a tight timeframe and at a good price too, so we were all pretty happy with how things went."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Hyperflow Labs digitized a 3D model of a recently discovered dinosaur skull. The team also worked on a backend web development to allow the museum’s website users to manipulate the scanned 3D model.

Ottawa, Ontario
Research Scientist, Canadian Museum of Nature

The museum’s team was very impressed and satisfied with the results. The 3D digitization model was included as a supplement to a scientific article that had 12,000+ views. Hyperflow Labs' responsiveness, fast turnarounds, and professionalism stood out.

I’m a research scientist in paleobiology for the Canadian Museum of Nature.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hyperflow Labs?

We were announcing last year a new species of horned dinosaur that we were working on out of Montana. To go with the announcement, we had a 3D model of the skull that we had done (that is to say, a physical model), and we wanted that transcribed/digitized so that we could show it on the Internet as well. We hired Hyperflow Labs to do this work for us.

They came in with a NextEngine 3D scanner and used that scanner to scan the surface of the skull, making a digital model for us that we could show online and that people could manipulate the skull for themselves in their web browser.

There were three guys, including Mike [Co-Founder & Product Design Lead, Hyperflow Labs], involved in the day that we had the scanning. I know Mike was in touch with some other folks who were working on the backend.

There are more people involved in this project than just me. As far as the other technologies and tools being used on the web development side, I'm not sure because that was going on with our web development team. A lot of that happened without my involvement.

How did you come to work with Hyperflow Labs?

They were recommended by a friend because they had done 3D stuff before that we were able to see. We looked around for businesses in Ottawa and opted to go with them just because we were impressed with the work they did. They give us a good price as well. I know they’re a relatively new business or sort of an upstart business, so we were looking to support that.

It didn't seem like we were taking a big chance on them. They obviously knew what they were doing, and they've done web development before, which is why we opted to go with them. Also, I know a number of them were close to the museum, so it made things easier as far as getting people together as well.

How much have you invested with Hyperflow Labs?

I wasn’t involved with that so much, but I think it was on the order of $5,000 or something like that.

It was pretty quick because we had to get this announcement out by a certain date. We worked with them over a period of a few weeks to a month, and that would have been in April of last year.

I know they've been involved with us since, although not with me per se. They've done more work for the new gallery that's starting at the museum. They digitized a whale baleen for us. This is going back a month or so ago. I've actually seen the model of it and was pretty impressed by it. The plan is to print that model and eventually have it on display in our new Arctic gallery next month.

One of the things where we used Hyperflow Labs' model was in the resulting scientific paper of the new dinosaur. The 3D model was included as a supplement to the paper. Since it came out in May of last year, the views of that scientific article are about 12,000+ views in a year, which is pretty damn good! That's probably all I can give you because my end of things is the research.

From what I've heard about the gallery, it's gone really well, and the gallery team is really happy with that model too. All of this is to say that we've developed a relationship with Hyperflow Labs, and we've been really happy with them so far.

How did Hyperflow Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were really good. We've dealt with various people from Hyperflow Labs over the years, but I mostly dealt with Mike. He was the guy at the frontend, and I was really happy with what he did. He was very good at keeping in touch and making things easy for us. I'm not involved with a lot of the technical work (at least not as far as the web development), so we would tell them what we wanted, and he was very quick to turn around and suggest changes that we had, which is why we use them again. They were very professional and responsive, so I was certainly impressed with them.

What did you find most impressive about Hyperflow Labs?

3D digitization isn't something we've been involved with much before, so I don't have any experiences to compare it to. But I think what really stood out was their responsiveness and professionalism. They were very responsive to our demands, given the short amount of time that we had to work with. The turnaround was really fast, especially given that we were butting up against a May 18th deadline to get this thing online and ready for the public.

Are there any areas Hyperflow Labs could improve?

Not really. As I said, they were really professional and handled everything well. This is going back a year now since I was involved with them, but I was really impressed and happy with how it all went down. From my point of view, it couldn't have gone much better. We got what we wanted in a tight timeframe and at a good price too, so we were all pretty happy with how things went.

From my perspective, we got what we wanted for a good price in a short amount of time, so that's pretty darn good value.
    We got exactly what we wanted in a short amount of time.
    I would definitely refer them again.

Multiple Project Dev for Toy Design Firm

“Instead of just sitting back and doing what we ask for, they try to collaborate as well as they can.”

2014 - Ongoing

Hyperflow Labs assists an internal team in creating digital versions of toys and games from famous brands. The team handles mobile app development, software programming, and 3D animation.

Brian Clemens
Partner, KID Group

What sets Hyperflow Labs apart is that they offer both development and graphic design services. The collaboration runs smoothly, thanks to the helpful ideas from Hyperflow Labs’ team that far exceeded other partners' expectations.

KID Group is a toy and product invention firm in San Francisco. I am 1 of the 3 partners in the firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with Hyperflow Labs?

Our challenge was to take toy and game brands that were created for the retail product world and bring them into the digital world.

Hyperflow Labs have worked on graphics and animation design, mobile development, 3D animation, PC software programming. For graphics, we’ve used standard tools like Illustrator and Photoshop. I don’t know what they use for 3D animation, but they used XCode for iOS coding. We used 1 developer from Hyperflow Labs’ team, another part-time resource, and the graphics team.

How did you come to work with Hyperflow Labs?

Mike Montgomery, the cofounder of Hyperflow Labs, came out of a company called Fuel Industries. Years and years ago, we were connected through Hasbro. We had a very good partnership with those guys and kept up with them over time.

How much have you invested with Hyperflow Labs?

The cost of our latest project was around $30,000.

We work on a project basis. The last one ran its course between January and July 2014.

One of our releases was a follow-up to one of our Android apps. Hyperflow Labs was extremely helpful from the graphics and animation side. The app is doing well on the Play Store. Our latest product didn’t come to market, but it did blow away our client, Mattel. Everyone was happy with our work with Hyperflow Labs.

How did Hyperflow Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Everything is done on time. If there were any delays, we’re usually the bottleneck. It’s exactly what we expect, for the most part. I can’t think of any issues we’ve had.

What did you find most impressive about Hyperflow Labs?

Mike is an upbeat, great guy. He is a pleasure to work with. Hyperflow Labs can bring great ideas to the table. Instead of just sitting back and doing what we ask for, they try to collaborate as well as they can.

Are there any areas Hyperflow Labs could improve?

Nothing comes to mind. We always hope for a cheaper partnership, but Hyperflow Labs has been good in this sense, too.

They’ve always been on time.
    Hyperflow Labs’ cost is close to perfect, but, as a partner, we always wish that things would be less expensive.
    The work was nearly perfect. There have been a couple of times when we needed to go back and forth on some design issues. This is pretty standard, though.
    I would absolutely do it.