We make apps. Great ones!

Established in 2011, Guarana Technologies is a mobile agency based in Canada, with offices in Brazil and Japan. We have been developing greats apps for smartphones, tablets and werables devices.

We are proven experts to create, design and develop mobile apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and wearable devices. We love working on new technologies, such as iBeacon, Apple Pay and Apple Watch apps.

Toronto, Canada
    193 Rua Milton M. Wagner – Parque
    Campolim SP-18047-634
    Brazil
    +55.15.99707.0558

STARTUPS // Enjoi, Graffmap, CorporateStays.com, Zilyo.com, Guestful,  Navut, HappyFlat, Makeachamp, Gnito, I can go without, So evolved LARGE COMPANIES // AirLiquide, Innovation Diagnostics, CCI France Canada, Uniodonto Sorocaba

App Connecting Registered Nurses to Community

“They care about the product and their clients.”

May 2017 - Ongoing

Guarana developed an iOS application with integrated features such as custom email confirmations, email invoices, and a scheduling functionality.

Nurse on Call, Director

Although there were some issues with meeting deadlines and layout, Guarana was able to compensate during final app development to provide an overall ideal performance. They continue to be responsive and approach the engagement with a long-term perspective.

Our business is an app that connects people with nurses for home care in Canada.

What challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

Our goal was to create an app that could gather information on the nurses for validation, and also connect them to the general public. We thought of ideas, and managed to find a platform and process that made sense for everyone.

They built the app for iOS from scratch. They showed me a design map before we started, and since it looked good, we decided to bring them on board.

The app has features like custom email notifications for appointment confirmations, invoice emails, etc. There are limitations in terms of when the appointments can be scheduled because we don’t want them being booked too late.

My point of contact is William [Account Manager, Guarana], and he has a team behind him, but I’m not sure who is working on the project.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

I had previously hired another company which was a one-man team, but it didn’t work out. I found Guarana through Google and decided to bring them on board.

I've spent around $25,000 with them.

I've been working with Guarana since May 2017, and the relationship is ongoing.

Some things could be improved in terms of the layout. I offered my ideas to switch up the splash page in order to make it more user-friendly. It was a bit disappointing, but overall, we have a general consensus that it’s doing what it should, and that we got what we paid for.

How did Guarana Technologies perform from a project management standpoint?

They're responsive and accountable, and we mostly communicate via email. It's been a good experience.

They care about the product and their clients. They see the long-term potential, which is good.

They should make sure they can adhere to timelines. The timelines they provided were pushed by about 25%, and instead of taking 12 weeks for them to deliver the app for user testing, it took 16 weeks. I lost about a month of revenue because of that, so I launched a bit later than I should have.

They did what they were able to do, and we’re in this together. I hope they’ll understand that I was flexible with them, and that they should respect the timelines in the future despite what’s happening in their corporation.

Do you have any advice for potential clients of Guarana Technologies?

Flush out the details, think of processes and different scenarios as much as possible, and work with them so they can provide solutions. Use Excel or Word, or any other platform online, in order to provide them with all of this information. Make sure to track all changes, and face-to-face meetings are ideal as well.

Overall Score They're responsive, care about the project, see the potential in the clients, and are just a pleasant experience overall. There have some things to work on, but no company is perfect.
    Something happened on their end, and they couldn't follow the timeline that was in the contract.
    They had worked on a similar app, so I’m sure there was a significant amount of copying and pasting between the different apps, yet they charged me a similar price.
    Sometimes, I would get app versions that had a lot of mistakes, but I caught them. If someone doesn't pay attention, they can miss a lot of stuff that Guarana may have also missed.
    I'm very likely to recommend them. After I explained my frustrations, they were able to compensate by being more responsive and present for the final part of the app.

Mobile App Dev for Personal Fitness Platform

"[W]e're used to rigid schedules, honest discourse, integrity and hard work ethic. Guarana checked all of these boxes."

Jul. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Guarana led app design and development for a personal fitness app. Their work included close guidance from wireframe to final graphic design, with a main focus on UI, UX and customizability.

Washington DC Metro Area
Jeremy Gordon
Co-Owner & PM, KINETICOACH

The app averaged 100 downloads per week in its first month, before major marketing efforts. Guarana was available, helpful and proactive in improving the app from concept to finish.

We are a fitness app startup with three partners located across the country. Our team is made of military, airline pilots, and professional fitness trainers. Our goal was to produce a fitness app that builds custom workouts based on equipment, time, goals, experience level and how the user is feeling. I am co-owner and project manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

There are several fitness apps for travelers that claim to build custom workouts, but none that use the equipment normally found in hotel gyms and home gyms. There is a very large demographic of airline pilots, flight attendants and business travelers in need of such a customizable fitness app.

We were beginners and needed close guidance and hand-holding throughout the entire process. It was an education process for us. Guarana guided us from wireframe, to UX, UI, and through Beta. They helped us refine the flow of user interface, flow of pages, and nailed the graphic layout.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

We were connected with Guarana through Crew.co. We interviewed 3 different firms. We chose Guarana for their responsiveness, portfolio and immediate ability to grasp the vision of our app.

How much have you invested with Guarana Technologies?

Between $10,000 and $50,000.

The project took about 9 months from initial contact through launch.

Will, Mat, and the Guarana team spent countless hours on the phone, on Skype and email taking our app from a complicated concept to an incredibly fluid and robust reality. This is our first app, and we just launched, so we don't have metrics to compare to past endeavors. But the initial feedback has been phenomenal. We haven't started large-scale marketing, but we're still averaging 100 downloads per week after 4 weeks. They were absolutely always there to help, fast to respond and proactive in giving feedback and making recommendations based on their experience.

How did Guarana Technologies perform from a project management standpoint?

Guarana managed the entire project from start to launch. They absolutely met all benchmarks and deliverables, and came in on budget.

What did you find most impressive about Guarana Technologies?

My team is made of military servicemen; we're used to rigid schedules, honest discourse, integrity and hard work ethic. Guarana checked all of these boxes.

Are there any areas Guarana Technologies could improve?

The only improvement we could offer, and much of this is on our shoulders, is, as beginners in the software industry, we didn't really understand the limits of UX, UI and MVP. Clearly defining the limitations and expectations of each phase for us, as beginners, would have helped both Guarana and us. But that is only one minor element of a near flawless work relationship.

Overall Score It was a great first software development experience for us. So glad we went with Guarana.
    Timely, responsive
    They nailed cost estimates and helped us get the most bang for our buck.
    Timely, accurate, responsive
    No question, we'll be using Guarana again, and we will recommend them to others.

App Development for Recall of Child Toys

"Guarana Technologies is distinct from other companies because of their consultative approach."

Guarana Technologies worked to develop and integrate iOS functionality for the client’s mobile app.

Vanessa Castle
Cofounder, App Startup

Guarana Technologies’ commitment to the client’s business need made them feel like a partner throughout the app development.

Our mobile app allows parents to keep a personal inventory of child items and toys. In the event of a recall, they’re notified via push notification. I am the co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

We used Guarana Technologies to develop our app for iOS.

We do not have an internal development team, so we raised the funds to develop the app with Guarana Technologies. They only developed the app for iOS because that’s what our budget allowed. We worked with a different company to come up with the look and feel of the app, but Guarana advised us on how we could restructure some of the things we had given them to conform to iOS. They gave us some guidance on growth hacking and helped us troubleshoot a lot of ideas outside of development. Once we submitted the app to the app store, Guarana was able to solve whatever developmental problems we encountered.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

We pushed out an RFP [request for proposal] to a bunch of different development companies. We ended up using a company called Crew to find Guarana Technologies. After a couple of conversations, we decided it was a perfect fit.

How much have you invested with Guarana Technologies?

The cost of the project ranged from $25,000 to $50,000.

We are waiting for the holiday season to do a big launch of the app.

What did you find most impressive about Guarana Technologies?

Guarana Technologies is distinct from other companies because of their consultative approach. They put in a lot of care to ensure that what they build, will succeed. They felt like a partner instead of a vendor, which was very important to the relationship.

Are there any areas Guarana Technologies could improve?

I can’t think of anything. Any type of communicative gaps we might have had were on my end. They were really good at maintaining communication. What we asked for, we got back in tenfold.

If we missed any schedule milestones, it was on our end. Guarana Technologies works quickly. When they commit, they deliver.
    I think they might have taken a chance on us and committed to the project for less money than they could have. They took that chance because they knew there were only two of us who had been managing the project originally and they believed in the product.
    The quality of the mobile app was exactly what we wanted.
    We have referred Guarana Technologies already because we believe in them so much.

Beta Testing for International Dating App

"They care about their projects, and we’re generally very happy with them."

Guarana Technologies developed a minimum viable product to use for a beta launch. The app had all the functionalities of a dating app and had to be customized for different regions of the globe.

Cofounder, Dating App Startup

Guarana Technologies is a small team of workers who take an honest interest in the success of their projects. Their project manager was friendly and easily accessible. Once the iOS app has some traction, Guarana will go on to develop the Android version.

We are a dating app. We released a version of it in Brazil that was for beta testing. I am the cofounder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

We had Guarana Technologies code the beta launch. Since we don’t have an internal development team, we decided to outsource because we wanted a team of professionals.

Guarana Technologies helped us redesign the app for North America, which should be out in about a month. For now, it’s only iOS but we’ll explore Android later on once we know we have a solid iOS version.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

We looked across Canada to see what companies would be the best. We found Guarana because the price was very reasonable, we got along well with them, and they had the same ideas for our project that we did.

We started the project in December 2015.

How did Guarana Technologies perform from a project management standpoint?

I think they’re pretty good. We have a go-to guy that works there and he relays the information to their designers and developers. He’s very agreeable and we can contact him at any time and he’ll answer.

What distinguishes Guarana Technologies from other providers?

The fact that they’re a small team means they care about their projects, and we’re generally very happy with them.

They’re very good at remaining on top of their schedule. They’ll set it and stick to it. They’re very open about the schedule and give us an honest estimation about how long a project will take.
    I’ve already done that.

Media Sharing App Development for Entrepreneur

"They always surprised me by what new features could be added."

Sep. - Dec. 2015

Guarana Technologies designed and developed an iOS app based on geographically bound photo and video sharing. The build took approximately four months.

Carlos Carillo
Entrepreneur, App Startup

Guarana Technologies could have communicated more frequently, but they earned trust with their steady demeanor and clear perspective on what needed to be done. They knew exactly how to explain complicated technologies to non-technical people.

This is something that I started not too long ago, and it's something that I do as an extracurricular. It's an app based on discovering photos and videos, which have been left by users near you.

I would say in terms of the app, I'm an entrepreneur.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

I approached Guarana to help me develop the app because I have limited technical experience.

The app is only available on iOS.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

I went through a lot to find the right partner, and it took me awhile to figure out what one I wanted to pick. However, what stood out about Guarana was that they knew the answer to every question I asked. They knew the best way to explain it to someone who wasn't familiar with app development. Overall, they stood out much more than the rest. Their prices were a little bit more expensive, but the confidence that was instantly given to me by the people at Guarana was worth it. I would use them again.

This app cost was $24,000.

The app has been completed. The project started around September [2015]. It was completed around early December. It was about four months overall.

What distinguishes Guarana Technologies from other providers?

There are a few things. Guarana instills confidence. It felt like they were always standing on firm ground ready to give me what I was looking to include in the app. They always surprised me by what new features could be added.

Is there anything Guarana Technologies could have improved or done differently?

It wasn't a major issue because it may have been a flaw on my end. Sometimes, I felt there wasn't enough communication. It might be that I thought I said something, and it turned out I that didn't. That was the only thing, but I'm not necessarily blaming them.

Overall Score Everything was smooth.
    They sometimes delivered quicker than I thought they would. It caught me off guard because I thought I'd have more time to get things ready on my end.
    Their value for the money is very good.
    I had a few people wanting to know how the project was going and how they could do it themselves. I'll definitely be referring them.

Development for Voting Application Startup

"They're very responsive. They listen well. They're good at managing me, which I really like. They're positive."

Guarana Technologies designed and developed an integrated iOS, Android, and website that allows university students to vote on issues that matter to them. Guarana provided bug fixes after the app launched.

New Haven, CT
Nick Andris
Founder, Voting App Startup

Guarana Technologies was a responsive and courteous vendor, and they weren’t afraid to be loose and funny sometimes. Their expertise was apparent in the confidence with which they tackled the project. The app was a success, with 90 percent of the target demographic engaged.

My company is an app for quick feedback. It sends questions to people via push notification. These are groups of people so they can answer by touching their phone a few times rather than going through their email to click a link to a survey.

I'm the founder, and I work with four other students at my university. We'll be rolling out the app to the student body.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Guarana Technologies?

The big challenge was that our team didn't have technical expertise. A couple of us had taken some coding classes, but we found that making apps is hard. We realized we needed to bring in professional talent and that began our search.

We brought on Guarana to make an iOS app, Android app, and website that were all integrated.

How did you come to work with Guarana Technologies?

We started with Elance and oDesk. But, then, we found another site where they screen the developers first, so you have a higher caliber of developer. We probably talked to eight companies before landing on Guarana.

This project is in the range of $50,000 to $200,000.

We're all MBA [Master of Business Administration] students and we're in a community of about 1,000 people in one building, which is the perfect place to try an app because people are very patient with us. There are many clubs in our school and more than 90 percent have used our app to collect feedback from their club members. The cafeteria in the school, which is a for-profit restaurant, also uses our app to ask about food preferences from students.

Every rollout will show some bugs, and we have had some. But, the product is certainly working well enough to get these adoption opportunities without destroying the image of what our app is capable of. If it had been a worse product, that reputation would've spread very quickly and we would have been having doors slammed in our face.

What distinguishes Guarana Technologies from other providers?

There are many positives in my partnership with Guarana Technologies. First, they're very responsive. I can usually expect an email within 24 hours Also, they listen well. They're good at managing me, which I really like. They're positive, they are reassuring, and they're easy to call because they're humorous. They've been through this process enough times that they understand it very well and they're able to educate someone who doesn't know how technology works and tell them what to expect. That's very valuable because, in any app process for a layman like me, there are many reasons to worry and, if you're not partnered with the right person, your stress level can go through the roof.

Is there anything Guarana Technologies could have improved or done differently?

I think every entrepreneur and every founder has this dream that their technology will be bug free. No product is. "The Wi-Fi at the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference wasn't working. The SpaceX rocket crashed during the summer." If I could change anything, it would be that they made a completely bug-free product. But, that's not a practical expectation. They do a good job being responsive and fixing bugs. I accept that this is the imperfection of the process, and I think Guarana is doing everything that can be expected.

I already have.

Social Application Development for Social Application Startup

"They were good at challenging our ideas and working to help guide strategy."

Guarana Technologies provided UI/UX design and development for an iOS social app. The app pairs users based on shared interests.

CEO, Social Application Startup

Guarana Technologies was an engaged partner, offering expert insight instead of just following orders. Their strategic guidance was crucial for the final products’ success.

Please describe your organization. What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the CEO of a startup that is developing a mobile application that puts two users in communication based on similar interests.

What was your goal for working with Guarana Technologies?

We were having technical issues and needed technical work done for the mobile app.

We had developed an initial app that wasn't working well. Then, we went to Guarana Technologies to restart the entire process. We started with a complete UX [user experience] development, and then went into the UI [user interface]. After the UX/UI portion was complete, we then went into the development phase. Development so far is just for iOS.

What was your process for selecting Guarana Technologies?

We were looking at other app developers in Montreal. I wanted to work with somebody local. We were in discussions with a few companies, and I got along with Guarana Technologies. I also liked the work they had done previously.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

Our iOS app cost between $10,000 and $20,000.

What differentiates Guarana Technologies from other partners?

Guarana Technologies did a great job. They were good at challenging our ideas and working to help guide strategy – not just to give us what we had asked for, but to also give their input and reach the best product.

Design for Online Platform

"They are extremely committed and very reliable. [Guarana Technologies] had a clear understanding of our requirements."

Feb. 2015 - Ongoing

The client developed the user interface and user experience of their new mobile app and hired Guarana Technologies to augment their development efforts.

San Francisco Bay Area
CEO, Online Platform Company

Guarana Technologies consistently delivers high quality graphic design and development work. The client praises the agency for their professionalism and advice in terms of UI and UX. Guarana Technologies is highly recommended to others.

Please describe your company.

We’re a San Francisco-based company that is developing cross-platform solution. As part of that effort, we are developing a mobile application with Guarana Technologies.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I’m the chief executive officer.

What was your goal in working with Guarana Technologies?

I was looking for a small studio that could develop a Geographic Information System for us. We wanted a company that had a track record in mobile applications and that had good graphic design expertise.

We started with the UI [user interface] and UX [user experience], and they started the development as well. It’s in beta testing now.

What was your process in selecting Guarana Technologies with which to work?

I initially consulted somewhere between 10 and 15 different companies. I was, of course, looking for availability, cost, and quality. With the timing of the release, I needed to start the development pretty fast, so I needed someone who could start right away. They were competitive in cost, actually a little bit cheaper than companies in this country, which I assume is due to their available labor workforce. I gave them a full briefing on what I was expecting with the mobile app and a sense of the larger project as well. The discussions we had were extremely professional and precise. I ended up working with them because they actually understood what I proposed in my specifications, and they had very good solutions in terms of mobile development. So, for all these reasons, I chose Guarana.

When did you start working with them, and is the relationship ongoing?

The relationship started in February [2015]. We are still working with them, and I think we’re going to work together for quite some time.

Do you have any statistics, metrics, or general feedback from the project?

The graphic design is excellent, which makes a real difference. It’s very important for the user interface, and they are delivering. The development is of very good quality as well, and that’s what the investors are interested in.

Is there anything unique about Guarana Technologies that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

They’re extremely professional, and I am very positive about the work they’ve been doing. They are extremely committed and very reliable. They had a clear understanding of our requirements. They are proactive in advising in what would be best in UX and UI. They are extremely professional in the way they develop the coding, which will be very important in terms of maintenance.

I haven’t seen anything that I would change so far.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

You need to be clear on what you expect. That’s very important with any agency.

Mobile App Development for Location Services Startup

"They [Guarana Technologies] obviously wanted to develop a good product and they took the time to develop a good relationship with me."

Dec. 2014 - Ongoing

Based on a trusted referral, the client hired Guarana for the design and development of their app on the iOS platform which included work on modern design layouts.

Founder, Startup Company

Guarana Technologies delivered creatively produced versions of the software with very few bugs. The client praises the agency for their ability to anticipate needs and their enthusiasm to meet those needs. Guarana Technologies is recommended to others.

Please provide a description of your company.

Our company’s primary product is a social network iOS app. We're based in Montreal, Canada.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I’m the CEO and owner.

What was your goal in working with Guarana Technologies?

I'm not very tech savvy in terms of building or coding a new piece of software, so I needed some developers. I wanted someone good with design as well as development.

Guarana was responsible for the design and development of an app for iOS.

What was your process in selecting Guarana Technologies with which to work?

I contacted a company where I knew the owner and told them about my project, and they referred me to Guarana. They could do modern design layouts with no problem, where the other companies I was thinking about were more basic Web development companies.

We’ve spent around $20,000 working with Guarana.

What was the timeline of the project?

We started working on the design in November. The actual development started at the end of December or the beginning of January. We’re at the end of development now.

Can you talk about how they performed in terms of the quality of the work they delivered to this point?

In terms of creativity, I was quite surprised because they were great. Every version so far has come through with very few bugs because they make sure they test it before they send it to me. I know when I get the current version to test, it will be better than the last. All I need to check are the new features and the progress, and it’s great to be able to test it live with no bugs. I was quite positively surprised with the quality of their work, and I’m satisfied with what they have done.

They obviously wanted to develop a good product and they took the time to develop a good relationship with me. They understand the product and the current technology as well as emerging technologies. I like to work with them because they not only understand our product, but they also understand our future needs, so we’re always thinking about the next steps. If I need to get in touch with them either by email, text, or phone, and they are always there for me. They respond quite quickly to each of my questions.

I really don’t see anything that either of us would do differently.

I got estimates from other companies, and everyone else was more expensive with less quality.
    I would recommend them without hesitation.