Build It Right The First Time

GOLD VERIFIED

Goji Labs is a boutique app development studio with offices in Los Angeles and New York City. We are product and technology experts and specialize in reducing risk on behalf of our partners when bringing new software ventures to market.

We believe no great venture should be held back by technical execution. Translating this core belief into action, we work closely with our partners to launch new initiatives and scale existing ones. We work to understand your vision, help define your product, then design, build, and launch.

We work primarily with startups, businesses, and nonprofits. Our partners include Digital Medical Tech, World Health Organization, World Wildlife Fund, UCLA, USC, and the City of Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA
  • 800 Wilshire Blvd suite 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
  • 818 W 18th St.
    New York, NY 10011

We work primarily with founders, startups, and non-profits. Over the past five years, we've launched dozens of startups and worked closely with our partners in the non-profit world to make an impact. Our partners include the World Health Organization, the World Wildlife Fund, and the City of Los Angeles.

Digital Medical / CompleteOR Image

Digital Medical / CompleteOR

Digital Medical’s platform streamlines inventory management and tracking of hospital equipment. We developed a proprietary solution deployed in hospitals across the nation.  We wanted to bring a novel solution to market that would undercut the cost of other product offerings and perform more reliably.

We built a highly distributed system of Raspberry Pi receivers running a

customized Linux environment. These receivers listen for Bluetooth signals from beacons attached to devices throughout hospitals and send them to a centralized system via WebSockets, which runs in AWS Elastic Container Service as Fargate instances. The system in AWS decides which beacon is in what room. We developed an algorithm to make this determination efficiently across thousands of devices in an instant. This entire part of the system is written Go, and it pushes beacon positions to a Ruby on Rails application over a WebSocket, which records each position in a Postgres database. Users can watch the positions change live in their browsers in a floor map view, with no need to refresh the page, thanks to WebSockets' push capabilities. We developed a novel, scalable, and efficient solution, which has been successfully deployed in hospitals across the country.
Kitchen Table App Image

Kitchen Table App

Kitchen Table helps hosts and guests build meaningful, in-person connections through intimate, shared dining experiences.

Kitchen Table is a social dining application that allows individuals to host community events. The goal was to create a community that would extend invitations to anyone - strangers, neighbors, friends and family.

We wanted to provide an experience for foodies, hobby chefs, and community

builders that would transcend anything currently on the market. The objective was to create a platform that would bring people together around food to help foster relationships and build community.

We designed and developed a consumer iOS app, built in Swift, and a backend system using Ruby on Rails and Postgres. The backend system also powers a web application and an administrative dashboard for the Kitchen Table team. Hosts can post a community meal they're planning, and include the menu, the location, the price, and they can invite those they know. Guests can browse for meals in their area, and, if there's still a spot left, join one, and maybe make some new friends.

MedsPal - World Health Organization Image

MedsPal - World Health Organization

The Medicines Patent Pool improves access to critical medications by negotiating licenses that allow for generic drug manufacturers to produce and sell these drugs in the nations that need them most. MedsPaL is a tool for the public, geared toward ministers of health and their staff, researchers, and drug manufacturers, to surface drug patent and license information in a simple, intuitive way. This allows the public

to see drug licenses, drugs that are already off-patent, and those that are about to be, which helps ministries of health make purchasing decisions and provide medications to their people.

Over the last few years, we worked with MPP to release and then enhance a comprehensive data administration dashboard. An admin can pull in patent data from the USFDA and the EPO, annotate records, approve changes, and then deploy them to MedsPaL for public visibility. This has allowed MPP to cover more drugs than before, which in turn helps treat and prevent disease.

HR & Recruiting Platform Image

HR & Recruiting Platform

Our team designed and developed a SaaS enterprise web application and a consumer-oriented mobile application using Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native. Companies can subscribe to Boon’s platform to post job opportunities and invite current employees to join. Employees can use the mobile application to explore and engage with their network, receive matches between open positions and their friends, create referrals

and collect referral bounties for successful placements.
Mozi - Education Tech Platform Image

Mozi - Education Tech Platform

Mozi is a research-backed EdTech platform that helps instructors improve the way they teach writing. After launch, the platform was having performance issues as the user base grew, while the original developer was unable to provide them with the proper resources and expertise. Mozi needed a long-term partner to take over product development and help them capture new opportunities in the education space.

We joined forces with the Mozi team to audit their platform, address its performance and scalability issues, and continue to define and execute their product roadmap. We’ve spent a few years working together to design and build new features, expanding the platform’s value proposition and onboarding notable customers such as the Los Angeles Unified School District.

An Appetizing Life - Digital Food Magazine Image

An Appetizing Life - Digital Food Magazine

Our team Redesigned and rebuilt this digital food magazine, which servers hundreds of thousands of users on a monthly basis

Umami Girl - Food Magazine Image

Umami Girl - Food Magazine

Mobile App Development for Startup

"Their thoughtful input changed our product for the better."

Jan. 2016 - Dec. 2018

Goji Labs built a mobile photography app. The project included discovery, wireframe and UI design, and backend development.

Venice, California
Charlie Mason
President & CTO, Heavy Lifting, LLC

The app successfully ran complex algorithms and tracked user locations.  Goji Labs was reliably communicative and accessible. Their prompt responses, creative ideas, and clever input made the development process smooth.

Our company developed a mobile app for photography. I was the president and CTO.

For what projects/services did your company hire Goji Labs?

Goji Labs served as our IT department for this project.

Our goal was to build a mobile photography app that combined ease of use with location-based features that incentivized users to meet offline.

We selected Goji Labs because of a recommendation from an associate.

We hired Goji Labs to develop the mobile app. Their work included discovery, wireframing, UI design, and backend coding.

We worked with the two principals at Goji Labs, who interfaced with engineers and developers.

With the help of Goji Labs, we built a functional, stable product. It's a relatively complex app that uses unique algorithms to find user locations and trigger actions.

They were always reachable, easy to communicate with, and available for in-person meetings as needed. They responded to voice calls and text messages instantly.

Goji Labs became a member of our team by contributing creatively, not just technically, to our project. Their thoughtful input changed our product for the better.

Due to the distributed nature of their engineering team, some deliveries took longer than we preferred. That's typical, but it's the only area I can think of.

Overall Score This is based on my overall experience with them.
    I never had an issue with availability or scheduling.
    Considering the effort made and work done outside billable hours, the value was great.
    Their work always functioned as needed or was quickly remedied.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Mobile App Development for Time Management Platform

“The product experience, the timing, and the price were impressive.”

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Using Swift, Goji Labs developed and consulted on a custom mobile application for iOS. They built the frontend and the backend, which is hosted on Heroku, and integrated Google Maps using APIs.

Santa Monica, California
Matt Walker
Founder, DayPoint

Goji Labs successfully developed the complex app and made it available in the App Store, where it earns high user ratings. They impressed with their partnership and guidance in developing an app that proved to be more complicated than imagined. They continuously exceeded expectations.

I’m the founder of DayPoint, a mobile application that helps people become more aware of how they spend their time and help them use it more consciously.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

Our early-stage, self-funded company needed help to code and build our custom mobile app with sensitivity to our early-stage budget.

I initially reached out to them with simple, hand-sketched wireframes, which we used to develop the app’s architecture. They used Proto.io for wireframing.

I hired a separate designer that helped create the designs and digital format. Goji Labs helped bring those designs to life. The designer and I worked with them to refine the UX/UI. They did the full frontend and backend. The backend is hosted on Heroku.

The app passively captures how you spend your days at a macro level: at home, commuting, at the office, at the gym, etc. It automatically translates the data points into interactive visuals to show the proportion of time spent at these places or in these activities.

They used Swift to build the app for iOS. They helped me figure out the App Store compliance. Google Maps is API integrated into the app, and it connects with centers in the iOS for location services. It interfaces with the contacts feature to invite and message other people.

They help me maintain the product. We’re currently considering making some updates to it.

I work with David (Co-founder/Product Manager/Software Engineer, Goji Labs) and he plays a quarterback roll. I’ve interacted with 5–6 other people indirectly.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

I interviewed 7–8 dev shops, but I was frustrated that I couldn’t find anyone who would help me prioritize things. By chance, I met David at a tech event. I shared my frustration in finding a mobile developer with him. He asked for an opportunity to bid on it. It turned out to be an amazing coincidence. He immediately understood the situation and took a strong consultative approach in helping me pare down and prioritize the product features that I wanted. He helped me make the scope manageable.

We’ve spent $35,000.

We started working together in January 2016 and the work is ongoing.

The application is live and 95% of reviewers gave it five stars in the App Store.

They went above and beyond in a lot of ways. The designer built the visual design of the screens, but there were formatting issues. Goji Labs went above and beyond and rectified those issues. They also went beyond the scope by adding animation to it, which enhances the app experience exponentially. It looks phenomenal. I am particularly impressed with how they made it work across several display sizes. I tried it on multiple iPhone sizes, and it looks great on all of them.

When I initially came up with the idea, I figured it would be simple since the iPhone knows where you are, and I thought we could just tap into that data. As we dug into it, we realized that the data that comes from iOS requires a lot of cleaning and standardizing, so we had to write algorithms to determine the person’s behaviors. It captures complicated outputs to differentiate between driving, stationary, biking, and walking, depending on speed. That was an extensive, complex endeavor, and they totally nailed it. I’m in awe of how accurate it is. I’m especially grateful for the amount of time and effort that they spent. The Goji Labs team is exceptionally creative and proactive in troubleshooting, which made all the difference. They’re my go-to group for mobile development efforts.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is excellent. They met the timing requirements and did an excellent job with communication. David responds quickly and communicates clearly. He takes the time to explain technical things and my options well. We used Slack, email, and Pivotal Tracker.

Their consultative approach is most impressive. They have a partnership mentality and helped me make decisions. The product experience, the timing, and the price were impressive.

I recommend engaging them earlier in the process versus later. By talking to them before all the screens were created by the designer, we were able to make changes and save a lot of time and headache.

API Integration & Plug-In Dev for WordPress Site

"They made sure that we were happy with the work."

August 2019

Goji Labs designed and implemented a contact form plug-in on a WordPress site. The product leverages an external API to migrate data, and its design fits with the style of the original website.

Contracted Frontend Developer, Software Solution Company

Responsive and personable, Goji Labs leveraged digital communication channels to manage the project effectively.

I'm a contract front-end web developer for a company developing software solutions for HR and Finance.

For what projects/services did your company hire Goji Labs?

The company had an email form that needed to send the collected data to an API endpoint using the Wordpress platform.

Since I am unfamiliar with the technology and terminology, I was looking for someone who could guide me through the process as well as completing it.

They were recommended by a mutual friend and after an intro call I was comfortable that they could complete the project and it would fit in with their schedule. I did talk to a couple other companies but was happy with the communication from Goji labs.

They found a contact form plugin that could be extended to include API post information and configured with the details from the client to collect the necessary information needed as well as adding styling the form to match the rest of the site.

I communicated directly with David of Goji Labs on the project.

The site just launched and is still in Beta mode so no information to share yet.

Project management was effectively arranged over email.

I was impressed with the communication and the personal touch. They made sure that we were happy with the work.

I would have liked an overview of the work completed and what was added for my own education but not sure if it would be necessary for other projects.

GOLD VERIFIED