Build It Right The First Time

Gold

Our core belief is that no great venture should be held back by tehcnical execution. Translating our mission into action, we've built Goji Labs to be a boutique software consultancy that helps our partners launch new initiatives and grow existing products while focusing on risk mitigation.

Los Angeles, CA
  • 800 Wilshire Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90017

We work primarily with founders, startups, and non-profits. Over the past five years, we've launched dozens of startups and worked closely with our partners in the non-profit world to make an impact. Our partners include the World Health Organization, the World Wildlife Fund, and the City of Los Angeles.

Kitchen Table App

Kitchen Table helps hosts and guests build meaningful, in-person connections through intimate, shared dining experiences.

Kitchen Table is a social dining application that allows individuals to host community events. The goal was to create a community that would extend invitations to anyone - strangers, neighbors, friends and family.

We wanted to provide an experience for foodies, hobby chefs,

and community builders that would transcend anything currently on the market. The objective was to create a platform that would bring people together around food to help foster relationships and build community.

We designed and developed a consumer iOS app, built in Swift, and a backend system using Ruby on Rails and Postgres. The backend system also powers a web application and an administrative dashboard for the Kitchen Table team. Hosts can post a community meal they're planning, and include the menu, the location, the price, and they can invite those they know. Guests can browse for meals in their area, and, if there's still a spot left, join one, and maybe make some new friends.

Mobile App Development for Time Management Platform

“The product experience, the timing, and the price were impressive.”

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

Using Swift, Goji Labs developed and consulted on a custom mobile application for iOS. They built the frontend and the backend, which is hosted on Heroku, and integrated Google Maps using APIs.

Santa Monica, California
Matt Walker
Founder, DayPoint

Goji Labs successfully developed the complex app and made it available in the App Store, where it earns high user ratings. They impressed with their partnership and guidance in developing an app that proved to be more complicated than imagined. They continuously exceeded expectations.

I’m the founder of DayPoint, a mobile application that helps people become more aware of how they spend their time and help them use it more consciously.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

Our early-stage, self-funded company needed help to code and build our custom mobile app with sensitivity to our early-stage budget.

I initially reached out to them with simple, hand-sketched wireframes, which we used to develop the app’s architecture. They used Proto.io for wireframing.

I hired a separate designer that helped create the designs and digital format. Goji Labs helped bring those designs to life. The designer and I worked with them to refine the UX/UI. They did the full frontend and backend. The backend is hosted on Heroku.

The app passively captures how you spend your days at a macro level: at home, commuting, at the office, at the gym, etc. It automatically translates the data points into interactive visuals to show the proportion of time spent at these places or in these activities.

They used Swift to build the app for iOS. They helped me figure out the App Store compliance. Google Maps is API integrated into the app, and it connects with centers in the iOS for location services. It interfaces with the contacts feature to invite and message other people.

They help me maintain the product. We’re currently considering making some updates to it.

I work with David (Co-founder/Product Manager/Software Engineer, Goji Labs) and he plays a quarterback roll. I’ve interacted with 5–6 other people indirectly.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

I interviewed 7–8 dev shops, but I was frustrated that I couldn’t find anyone who would help me prioritize things. By chance, I met David at a tech event. I shared my frustration in finding a mobile developer with him. He asked for an opportunity to bid on it. It turned out to be an amazing coincidence. He immediately understood the situation and took a strong consultative approach in helping me pare down and prioritize the product features that I wanted. He helped me make the scope manageable.

We’ve spent $35,000.

We started working together in January 2016 and the work is ongoing.

The application is live and 95% of reviewers gave it five stars in the App Store.

They went above and beyond in a lot of ways. The designer built the visual design of the screens, but there were formatting issues. Goji Labs went above and beyond and rectified those issues. They also went beyond the scope by adding animation to it, which enhances the app experience exponentially. It looks phenomenal. I am particularly impressed with how they made it work across several display sizes. I tried it on multiple iPhone sizes, and it looks great on all of them.

When I initially came up with the idea, I figured it would be simple since the iPhone knows where you are, and I thought we could just tap into that data. As we dug into it, we realized that the data that comes from iOS requires a lot of cleaning and standardizing, so we had to write algorithms to determine the person’s behaviors. It captures complicated outputs to differentiate between driving, stationary, biking, and walking, depending on speed. That was an extensive, complex endeavor, and they totally nailed it. I’m in awe of how accurate it is. I’m especially grateful for the amount of time and effort that they spent. The Goji Labs team is exceptionally creative and proactive in troubleshooting, which made all the difference. They’re my go-to group for mobile development efforts.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is excellent. They met the timing requirements and did an excellent job with communication. David responds quickly and communicates clearly. He takes the time to explain technical things and my options well. We used Slack, email, and Pivotal Tracker.

Their consultative approach is most impressive. They have a partnership mentality and helped me make decisions. The product experience, the timing, and the price were impressive.

I recommend engaging them earlier in the process versus later. By talking to them before all the screens were created by the designer, we were able to make changes and save a lot of time and headache.

Gold