Build It Right The First Time

Gold

Goji Labs is a boutique app development studio with offices in Los Angeles and New York City. We are product and technology experts and specialize in reducing risk on behalf of our partners when bringing new software ventures to market.

We believe no great venture should be held back by technical execution. Translating this core belief into action, we work closely with our partners to launch new initiatives and scale existing ones. We work to understand your vision, help define your product, then design, build, and launch.

We work primarily with startups, businesses, and nonprofits. Our partners include Digital Medical Tech, World Health Organization, World Wildlife Fund, UCLA, USC, and the City of Los Angeles

Los Angeles, CA
  • 800 Wilshire Blvd suite 200
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
  • 818 W 18th St.
    New York, NY 10011

We work primarily with founders, startups, and non-profits. Over the past five years, we've launched dozens of startups and worked closely with our partners in the non-profit world to make an impact. Our partners include the World Health Organization, the World Wildlife Fund, and the City of Los Angeles.

Digital Medical / CompleteOR Image

Digital Medical / CompleteOR

Digital Medical’s platform streamlines inventory management and tracking of hospital equipment. We developed a proprietary solution deployed in hospitals across the nation.  We wanted to bring a novel solution to market that would undercut the cost of other product offerings and perform more reliably.

We built a highly distributed system of Raspberry Pi receivers running a

customized Linux environment. These receivers listen for Bluetooth signals from beacons attached to devices throughout hospitals and send them to a centralized system via WebSockets, which runs in AWS Elastic Container Service as Fargate instances. The system in AWS decides which beacon is in what room. We developed an algorithm to make this determination efficiently across thousands of devices in an instant. This entire part of the system is written Go, and it pushes beacon positions to a Ruby on Rails application over a WebSocket, which records each position in a Postgres database. Users can watch the positions change live in their browsers in a floor map view, with no need to refresh the page, thanks to WebSockets' push capabilities. We developed a novel, scalable, and efficient solution, which has been successfully deployed in hospitals across the country.
Kitchen Table App Image

Kitchen Table App

Kitchen Table helps hosts and guests build meaningful, in-person connections through intimate, shared dining experiences.

Kitchen Table is a social dining application that allows individuals to host community events. The goal was to create a community that would extend invitations to anyone - strangers, neighbors, friends and family.

We wanted to provide an experience for foodies, hobby chefs, and community

builders that would transcend anything currently on the market. The objective was to create a platform that would bring people together around food to help foster relationships and build community.

We designed and developed a consumer iOS app, built in Swift, and a backend system using Ruby on Rails and Postgres. The backend system also powers a web application and an administrative dashboard for the Kitchen Table team. Hosts can post a community meal they're planning, and include the menu, the location, the price, and they can invite those they know. Guests can browse for meals in their area, and, if there's still a spot left, join one, and maybe make some new friends.

MedsPal - World Health Organization Image

MedsPal - World Health Organization

The Medicines Patent Pool improves access to critical medications by negotiating licenses that allow for generic drug manufacturers to produce and sell these drugs in the nations that need them most. MedsPaL is a tool for the public, geared toward ministers of health and their staff, researchers, and drug manufacturers, to surface drug patent and license information in a simple, intuitive way. This allows the public

to see drug licenses, drugs that are already off-patent, and those that are about to be, which helps ministries of health make purchasing decisions and provide medications to their people.

Over the last few years, we worked with MPP to release and then enhance a comprehensive data administration dashboard. An admin can pull in patent data from the USFDA and the EPO, annotate records, approve changes, and then deploy them to MedsPaL for public visibility. This has allowed MPP to cover more drugs than before, which in turn helps treat and prevent disease.

HR & Recruiting Platform Image

HR & Recruiting Platform

Our team designed and developed a SaaS enterprise web application and a consumer-oriented mobile application using Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native. Companies can subscribe to Boon’s platform to post job opportunities and invite current employees to join. Employees can use the mobile application to explore and engage with their network, receive matches between open positions and their friends, create referrals

and collect referral bounties for successful placements.
Mozi - Education Tech Platform Image

Mozi - Education Tech Platform

Mozi is a research-backed EdTech platform that helps instructors improve the way they teach writing. After launch, the platform was having performance issues as the user base grew, while the original developer was unable to provide them with the proper resources and expertise. Mozi needed a long-term partner to take over product development and help them capture new opportunities in the education space.

We joined forces with the Mozi team to audit their platform, address its performance and scalability issues, and continue to define and execute their product roadmap. We’ve spent a few years working together to design and build new features, expanding the platform’s value proposition and onboarding notable customers such as the Los Angeles Unified School District.

An Appetizing Life - Digital Food Magazine Image

An Appetizing Life - Digital Food Magazine

Our team Redesigned and rebuilt this digital food magazine, which servers hundreds of thousands of users on a monthly basis

Umami Girl - Food Magazine Image

Umami Girl - Food Magazine

Platform Design for Home Sharing Network

“Goji Labs was responsive to what we asked for.”

Feb. 2019 - Ongoing

Goji Labs designed a home-sharing platform’s features and user experience. They delivered designs for video verification, a language filter, a messaging feature, and a dual fee process.

Boston, Massachusetts
Beth Santos
Founder & CEO, Wanderful

Internal stakeholders are pleased with the modern, user-friendly designs. Thoughtful and personable, Goji Labs laid the groundwork for developing functionalities that will coincide with the user experience. Their experience in the sharing economy industry was particularly helpful.

I’m the CEO and founder of Wanderful, an international lifestyle brand for female travelers. We host events for women around the world, and we just launched a home-sharing network that enables women who are traveling to stay together.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

My company wanted to build a platform to host our new home-sharing network. We had a basic site on WordPress, on which women could post listings and book spaces from other women. We wanted something more custom, with key features that were specific to our community.

We initially brought Goji Labs onboard to design and develop the entire platform, but due to funding on our side, we scaled back the scope of their work to just be the platform's design. My team gave Goji Labs our logos and style guide, and they did all of the design work for the platform. We underwent a discovery process in which Goji Labs identified what our design aesthetic was.

They designed a video verification process, which requires new users to provide a video of themselves to ensure safe digital interactions. Goji Labs also designed a few unique features, such as a language filter, so that travelers can see what different languages hostesses speak, and a messaging feature, which allows travelers and hostesses to communicate directly. On our current site, only the host pays a service fee, but Goji Labs designed a dual fee process that will charge both the host and the traveler.

Although Goji Labs didn’t do any development work, a key part of the design process was identifying key functionalities that we’ll need and distinguishing how they’ll fit into the user experience. They helped us determine everything we will need to code, from the financial to the social aspects of the platform.

We’re still using the WordPress site, but we have Goji Labs’s designs ready for when we implement the new platform.

Our project manager is David (Product Development, Goji Labs). My team also works with a designer.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

A friend who’d worked with Goji Labs recommended them. Goji Labs had experience working with another sharing economy platform. We figured that their knowledge about creating two-sided marketplaces would relieve communicate barriers and even educate us on the process.

My company spent around $25,000.

We began working together in February 2019, and we’re finishing everything now.

Goji Labs delivered beautiful, modern, user-friendly designs, and we’re excited to implement them soon. My team loves all of the colors.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Goji Labs was responsive to what we asked for. They were receptive to whatever provided feedback we provided on the design specs and little details. David communicated well and kept the project focused, which helped my team because we’re very busy. He was friendly and easy to work with. Our teams had weekly calls that we scheduled using Google Calendar.

Goji Labs was incredibly thoughtful. Their expertise in the sharing economy was very helpful; they proposed ideas we hadn’t thought of yet. They were prepared to have conversations about how the platform would work.

No, there was nothing.

They’re just great to work with. Goji Labs was good at communicating and proposing good ideas.

Web Development for Lifestyle Blog

"I’ve built out websites before, and none of my previous partners have been as accessible as Goji Labs."

Oct. 2018 - Ongoing

Goji Labs modified and relaunched a lifestyle blog. The team designed custom web pages and added a Shopify integration. They provide ongoing maintenance and updates.

Lisa Todd
Founder, Lifestyle Blog

Goji Labs delivered a site that matches the initial vision of the project. By leveraging a collaborative approach, the team has been able to implement each requirement and meet every deadline. Customers can expect a responsive and supportive partner.

I’m a food and lifestyle blogger.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

I wanted to revamp my website.

Goji Labs completely redesigned my website. They delivered a variety of different designs, including a framework that showed the flow of the website.

After they designed the site, the team implemented a Shopify integration and built custom web pages. The site is now live, and Goji Labs provides ongoing maintenance and updates.

I have direct contact with David (CEO, Goji Labs) and a designer.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

I had worked with a branding company who had previously partnered with Goji Labs, and they suggested that I use them. I interviewed the team and ultimately chose them as my vendor.

I’ve spent close to $20,000.

We started our partnership in October 2018, and the work is ongoing.

They’ve met every deadline and have implemented each of my requirements. My blog works and looks exactly how I envisioned.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been excellent. I’ve built out websites before, and none of my previous partners have been as accessible as Goji Labs. David and I schedule weekly meetings, and he is very quick to respond to any emails or questions that I have.

David and his team understand my project and continue to meet deadlines. David always has a positive demeanor, and his team has the soft skills required to collaborate effectively with others.

I don’t think there are any. Last time I built out an e-commerce site, the whole experience was a nightmare. David and his team have been a much better partner to me. I’ve never felt like they were talking down to me, which sometimes happens with other designers.

If you can solidify what you want and create a sort of path or blueprint, that will make the process go faster. Your preparation will help David and his team do what needs to be done to meet your needs.

We had weekly or bi-weekly meetings during development, and they hit every deadline.
    I think the price is fair, especially compared to other vendors.
    They're very easy to work with and great at understanding my needs.

Shopify Development for Display Company

"We added David (CEO, Goji Labs) to some of our Slack channels, and he was very responsive."

Jan. - May 2019

Goji Labs developed a Shopify website using a pre-existing set of designs. They added several modifications to a Shopify template and built a dialog box for a quote request form.

Somers, Connecticut
Benjamin Camerota
Owner, MVP Visuals

Flexible and accommodating, Goji Labs agreed to provide weekly progress updates throughout the development phase. Their excellent customer service set them apart from other vendors.

I own MVP Visuals. We sell custom brand displays.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

We hired Goji Labs to design and develop our new website.

We began the project by collaborating with Goji Labs to finalize a set of designs that we had created. They implemented our designs on a Shopify template and added several customizations that we requested. The team also built a modal window for our quote request form.

David (CEO, Goji Labs) was my point of contact. I’m not sure how many developers worked on the project.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

I was referred to Goji Labs by a design agency that had previously completed work with them.

I’ve spent somewhere between $10,000–$25,000.

The project began in January 2019, and we completed it in May 2019.

Thanks to Goji Labs, we’ve been able to maintain a stable level of traffic. They also provided us with a list of post-launch issues that we plan to address.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We added David to some of our Slack channels, and he was very responsive. We also requested weekly updates, and he obliged. I don’t think this is standard protocol, but David was willing to meet our needs.

I was most impressed by the excellent customer service that David provided.

Communication might have been more efficient if I was speaking to the developers, although I understand that using a point of contact is common practice amongst agencies.

Be clear about your requirements and specifications. If you give them precise information, they will be able to meet your needs.

Website Dev for Nationwide Nonprofit

“They ensured that they were designing the website we wanted.”

Sept. 2018 - Ongoing

Goji Labs built a website with Ruby on Rails to establish a growing humanitarian movement's digital presence. The team enhanced a donation functionality and created an interactive map feature.

Rachel Sumekh
CEO & Founder, Swipe Out Hunger

Though the website hasn’t launched yet, internal stakeholders are optimistic about its performance and the impact it will have. Goji Labs fostered a collaborative process and remained open to feedback. Their high-quality deliverables will likely lead to a continued engagement.

I’m the founder and CEO of Swipe Out Hunger, a nonprofit committed to ending hunger amongst college students. We work with universities across the US.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

Swipe Out Hunter went from being a grassroots movement with one site to scaling across the country and having dozens of sites. We needed a clear message and a strong digital presence. In particular, we wanted a beautiful website that would clearly explain to people who we are, what we do, and how they can get involved in our work.

Goji Labs built out our website using Ruby on Rails. After providing wireframes, they created an interactive map feature of every campus we’re involved with. Each campus page provides students with information on how they can obtain resources or become involved as an advocate. Goji Labs also made our donation feature more front-and-center. We’ve discussed several site features that we’d like Goji Labs to build out in the future.

Our key contact person is David (Product Development, Goji Labs). During the design stage, he brought in a designer who was very personable and worked efficiently. Backend engineers were working on the project as well.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

I met Goji Labs at a startup event a few years ago. We chose them for this project because they seemed more invested than larger vendors. Also, David and his team are entrepreneurs that built Goji Labs from the ground up, so we knew they’d ask the right questions and implement the best processes. We felt as though we could fully trust them.

My company has spent around $50,000.

Our engagement began in October 2018, and the work is ongoing. When the website launches in a couple of days, I’m hoping that we gain a strong digital footprint. I know technology will be increasingly central to our work, so I’m sure we will continue to work with Goji Labs.

We think the map feature could go viral on college campuses. Although the site hasn’t launched yet, we believe we’ll see an increase in donations made through the website. Also, since the FAQ and About Us pages are easier to find and navigate through, we think there will be a decrease in the number of phone calls and emails we get with questions.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Goji Labs was process-oriented and strove to understand what we were looking for as an organization. At the start of the project, they presented communication and scheduling expectations. The project stayed on a clear timeline, and we as the client knew what to prepare for. Goji Labs was flexible when we needed time extensions.

Instead of simply doing the work and delivering the site, as our last developer did, Goji Labs asked for our feedback and opinions throughout the project. They ensured that they were designing the website we wanted.

Nothing comes to mind. They’ve given us exactly what we wanted, so I have no complaints.

To get the most out of the process, work closely with Goji Labs, and be prepared to present your vision.

App and UI/UX for Healthcare Tech Company

"They've also been great at collaborating with us and bringing new ideas to the table."

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Goji Labs designed and developed a web and mobile app for iOS and Android devices, including the UI/UX design.

Greater Los Angeles Area
Matthew Nicholson
CEO, Digital Medical Tech

Goji Labs provides top-notch UI/UX design and development services. In addition to their expertise, their customer-centric, proactive approach to projects and communications sets them apart. They're also very responsive, provide a lot of valuable feedback, and deliver on time.

I'm the founder and CEO of Digital Medical Tech, a real-time location services provider for healthcare facilities and medical device companies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

We reached out to Goji Labs to build a web-based platform and mobile app for iOS and Android devices, including UI/UX design.

Goji Labs worked with our team daily to design and develop our web and mobile app for iOS and Android devices. They provide ongoing support as needed, fixing any bugs and adding other features as requested.

We mostly work with David (CEO, Goji Labs) and Adam (CTO, Goji Labs). David has a good eye for UI/UX design, and Adam complements those skills with strong backend development expertise.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

We vetted about five software development shops and reached out to Goji Labs based on a referral from our CFO. Based on initial conversations with them, we felt they had a robust skill set and would be able to deliver the best product.

We've invested over $600,000.

We've been working together since November 2017. They continue to provide ongoing maintenance. We have no plans to hire in-house developers because our relationship with Goji Labs is so strong.

Goji Labs has done an exceptional job at building our products and getting them to where they need to be today. They've been so great to work with that we'll never work with another developer; their knowledge, timeliness, and thoroughness set them apart.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We have an excellent relationship with their team. We generally talked to them on the phone daily during the development phase. Aside from that, we communicate through Slack and track milestones on Trello. They're very hands-on, responsive, and accessible. They're also very adaptable, taking the time to learn about our industry to provide valuable feedback throughout the process.

Their communication and willingness to take the time to understand our unique challenges and goals have been very valuable. They've also been great at collaborating with us and bringing new ideas to the table.

I don't have any constructive feedback.

Be honest and as detailed as possible when explaining project goals. They're also good at guiding if the client is a little lost in the beginning.

Development Partnership for UX Strategy Agency

"Once you’re working with Goji Labs, you’re in good hands."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Goji Labs serves as a long-term partner for a design studio that requires development support. They contribute conceptually to product strategy and coordinate builds for websites or mobile and web apps.

Jinny Oh
Founder, WANDR

Goji Labs has proven to be a reliable and talented development team during an extensive engagement. They feature an engaged and organized leadership group, leading to high-quality solutions. Goji Labs’ responsiveness and processes foster a sense of confidence in clients.

I am the founder of WANDR. We specialize in product strategy and user experience design.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

We primarily offer design services to our clients, so we call on Goji Labs when we have projects that require some sort of development.

Each year, we complete 3–5 projects with Goji Labs—anything ranging from native mobile apps to web applications and websites. In each case, David (CEO, Goji Labs) and I are very much involved in the strategy. Before we even discuss the design or development, we conduct whiteboard sessions with the client to scope out what we’re going to create. We’ve sometimes had projects that include an existing platform for them to work from, but other times Goji Labs develops something from scratch.

Our largest project currently is a series of website development and content migration tasks for a particularly large client. We rely on Goji Labs to coordinate website hosting, front- and backend development, and maintenance.

David and Adam (CTO, Goji Labs) are our central points of contact.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

We met at a networking event a few years ago, and we soon found a project that we could complete together. Our partnership has grown from there.

We’ve spent between $500,000–$1 million to this point.

Our engagement began in November 2016 and remains ongoing.

I’m a strong proponent of the quality of their work. They are not an inexpensive development team—I could save money elsewhere, but I choose not to because I’m such a believer in their abilities. Their work is top-notch.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Goji Labs requires very little oversight. David is very organized and detail-oriented. He’s responsive when we need something, and I trust him and his team to complete their tasks as assigned. We communicate well through phone calls, Slack messages, or in-person meetings.

I appreciate their overall flexibility. We’ve never had a contract for how this partnership would work. We sometimes bid on a client together, but other times we do it separately and introduce the other side later on. We operate on a case-by-case basis as we determine what works best for both parties and the client.

They come with a high sticker price, but we receive high-quality work as a result.

Once you’re working with Goji Labs, you’re in good hands.

App Development for Tech Startup

“They’re a high-performing team that works fast.”

May - Nov. 2017

Goji Labs developed an iOS app from scratch that allows users to access and integrate emojis into their iPhone keyboard. They also provided advise on the development of other apps they weren’t building.

Washington D.C.
Owner, Tech Startup

Goji Labs communicated well and worked hard to meet project goals and deadlines. The final product has functioned perfectly. They provided honest and insightful feedback that optimized the partnership and project objectives.

I’m the owner of a tech startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

I needed a partner to help with app development.

I have quite a few apps I’m working on, so Goji Labs helped develop some and advised on the others. They built an iOS app from scratch that has emojis that users can pull up on their phone and also integrate seamlessly into their iPhone keyboard. They worked on additional emoji apps and also provided insight into how to approach and pursue the development of other apps.

We had one main point of contact.

Someone referred them.

We spent between $25,000–$50,000.

We worked together from May-November 2017.

Our app got onto the third page of the App Store, and it had no technical issues after launching. I’d definitely work with Goji Labs again.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They effectively communicated, using clear language to help non-technical people understand. They also met our deadlines.

They’re honest and help you make the most informed business decisions. Although they weren’t the cheapest option, they did excellent work and finished our project to completion.

No. They’re a high-performing team that works fast.

Have a clear idea of what you want and how to bring it to life. Give them direction, and they’ll do a great job.

They stick to timelines and meet deadlines.
    There were only a few technical issues in the initial development.

Website Development for Telecoms Equipment Company

“It was amazing to see how well Goji Labs performed compared to the team we’d used before.”

After a website crashed, causing critical marketing and security issues, Goji Labs replaced the underperforming developer. They built a new site within three weeks, optimizing the design and existing content.

Fremont, California
Tuvia Barlev
CEO, Actelis Networks

Goji Labs rapidly delivered a cutting-edge, secure, and aesthetically appealing website with a seamless UX/UI. Building the site from scratch at an attractive price point yielded an ideal ROI. They collaborated synergistically with the internal IT and marketing teams using an organized workflow.

I’m the CEO of Actelis Networks, a telecoms equipment company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

Our website had collapsed. As a crucial part of our marketing efforts, this was a critical situation. It had been poorly designed, so people hacked into it.

We needed a firm to redesign our site in a way that was compelling, modern, and usable for our clients. Our timeline was roughly three weeks because it was such an urgent issue.

Before starting development, Goji Labs had to familiarize themselves with the code in our existing website so they could recreate it in a new version. They took the basic information from our original platform to embed into a brand-new site.

The website is based on modern technology in the market. It’s laid out very well. Our team can independently maintain, modify, and add to the platform internally without much difficulty in the future.

Goji Labs handled all of the design. They collaborated with my marketing team to put it together properly so customers could find what they’re looking for with little effort. They structured the data and designed the software to function quickly. Rapid performance enables users to access our information from around the globe.

We interacted with Adam (CTO, Goji Labs) and David (CEO, Goji Labs).

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

It was difficult to find a vendor willing to take on our project, since it had so many challenges and so little support on the technical side. The original programmer of the code had disappeared. My team couldn’t provide much help, either. We needed a team who could work independently and invest a lot of effort.

One of our IT specialists had used Goji Labs as a consultant in the past. They had helped us fix some glitches. He suggested we use them for this project. They offered us affordable pricing.

We spent $25,000.

We worked together over a three-week engagement in 2016. Now that we’re looking to take our website to the next level, we’re requesting quotes and keeping Goji Labs in the loop.

When we built our original website, the previous vendor took about six months and charged us three times more. They required two full-time resources to make it happen. Goji Labs offered more competitive prices and completed the new website within a much shorter time frame. We’re very pleased with the results. The website they delivered has never crashed; it’s been perfect.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

My IT and marketing teams were happy with the project management style. We never had to wait long for answers to our questions.

It was amazing to see how well Goji Labs performed compared to the team we’d used before. They just breezed through our project.

The quality, time, responsiveness, and price Goji Labs offered were all very impressive.

I’ve referred them before.

Development for a Coworking Space

“They became like part of our internal team, working hard to solve our problems and concerns.”

June 2017 - Feb. 2018

Goji Labs developed wireframes and a prototype for a coworking space app. They built out UX and design components, including screens and proofs of concept. However, the project ended due to budget reasons.

Singapore
George Mitchell
Former Chief Innovation Officer, Next Story Group

Goji Labs was transparent and communicative, taking time to understand project goals and issues in order to deliver the best product possible. The team was skilled and competent, building a high-quality product.

I’m the former chief innovation officer at Next Story Group, a space management company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

We were building a mobile app for our coworking space members. We had six spaces around the world, and we wanted an app that allowed members to book space and perform other social functions. We also wanted it to integrate with Bluetooth beacons and other location-based technology.

Goji Labs built a prototype of our app, but we ended up not going through with the project for budget reasons. We had some exploratory meetings where they took time to understand our goals and outline some potential UX and design components. They worked with us from the very beginning, designing the project architecture. The backend was in Ruby on Rails, and the frontend was in React Native. Their team delivered screens of what the app would look like and the functionality, including proofs of concept.

We mainly worked with two people.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

We shared a coworking space, and they always took an interest in our business and problems. We reached out to them and a few other agencies, and everyone in our company was most impressed with Goji Labs. They were transparent and had a great approach, so we hired them.

We spent around $35,000.

We worked together from June 2017–February 2018.

I had unclear directions from my internal supervisors, but Goji Labs helped create clarity and build prioritization frameworks. They became like part of our internal team, working hard to solve our problems and concerns.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were incredibly transparent, allowing me to immediately see the results of their work and what they had come up with. We had a complex system of various teams and partners, and they fit perfectly into that environment, never causing a bottleneck or delay. Their team was always available and easy to get a hold of.

They went from an external resource to part of our in-house team, working closely with us from the very beginning. They seemed more concerned about building a high-quality solution that they were proud of than trying to make money off of us, which I greatly appreciated. The entire team was extremely competent and invested in our project.

If our project had gotten larger in a short amount of time, I’m not sure how quickly they would’ve been able to scale.

If you have something fully developed that you just want to be built in the cheapest way possible, they’re probably not your team. However, if you want someone who will sit down with you and take time to understand your business goals and dilemmas, then Goji Labs is your team.

iOS Development for Social Dining App

“The most impressive thing is the overall level of care.”

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Goji Labs developed an application for iOS that allows users to search for gatherings based on their location and preferences. The app processes bookings and gives users host and event details.

Kelly Browne
Founder, Kitchen Table App

The app built by Goji Labs garners resounding praise from users for its friendly UX and gorgeous look. The team offers a high level of expertise and delivers helpful strategic consultation alongside superior development. They guided a thoughtful process which resulted in high-quality results.

I’m the founder of Kitchen Table, which is a social dining experience platform that meaningfully brings people together to connect over a shared homemade meal.

What challenge were you trying to address with Goji Labs?

I was looking for someone to develop the platform. I had the concept of bringing people together around a table to meet neighbors, make new friends, and make in-person connections, and Goji Labs helped to build the technology that enables that concept.

The app acts like an Instagram feed of gatherings. It’s geography-based, and it allows users to search for gatherings based on theme, purpose, date, host, cuisine, dietary restriction, and price. The app allows the user to see who else is going, learn more about the host and what else they have hosted, request a seat, invite a friend, or apply a promo code. Once the user requests a seat, if the host approves it, there is a booking confirmation. At that point, the address is released and uncovered, directions are available, and it can be shared on social media. The user can reach out to the host and ask questions and introduce themselves. They can also keep a profile of all the meals they have attended. The app gives the option to apply to be a host, contact the Kitchen Table team, read our privacy and terms, share the app with a friend and more.

At our first meeting, I shared screenshots from other apps that I liked for their look and feel, functionality, or features. We then brainstormed the app together on a whiteboard to map out the user flow. Next, they created the wireframes in Mockingbird. We edited those and the UX a bit, and ultimately those wireframes served as a blueprint for the final design. We chose to build an app for iOS.

I work mainly with the CEO. Initially, I hired a design team outside of Goji Labs. At the time, there were eight developers working on the project. About a year later, we added several new features, and they hired a designer that they work closely with, and she had a team of two or three that worked specifically on our app.

How did you come to work with Goji Labs?

My business partner met their CEO, David, socially through David’s father, and they liked each other. When we decided to build this app, we interviewed multiple developers including Goji Labs and determined that they were the best fit both personally and technically.

We spent between $100,000–$250,000.

We began working together in October 2016, and the work is ongoing.

The last time I checked, we had 71 five-star ratings in the App Store. Feedback has been exceedingly positive. Everyone loves it. It’s clean and is designed beautifully. When the user opens the app, they feel welcomed into someone’s home. The hosts’ pictures look inviting, the pictures of the gatherings look great, and using the app is a friendly experience.

Goji Labs excels at risk mitigation. They helped us take this huge idea of making the world a kinder place through having these special dinners and distilled it down to what we could do in the coming months instead of having a massive investment right away.

How did Goji Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s been excellent. David is great. He is now a personal friend as well as a colleague. He is a terrific communicator. We have a case management file that we constantly update. We communicate through Slack, which works well for us. It was important to me to have a local team since this is my first app and first big venture. It was nice to communicate in-person.

The most impressive thing is the overall level of care. They are extremely thoughtful and mindful. David and I worked through risk management a lot. I have big ideas and want many features and functionalities in the app.

Instead of building the iOS and Android app at the same time, we built the iOS version and put it out in the market. Now, when we’re ready to build the Android version, we can apply the lessons we’ve learned, which I think is the right way to do it.

They are expensive, but I’m funding this with my savings. If I had an investor or funding from another source, I may feel differently. It’s expensive, but I’m also happy with the way it’s working and the way it looks. I feel confident about the growth. I know it will pay off eventually, but it’s a big expense in the beginning.

Don’t rush into it. Work with Goji Labs on due diligence. Market research will help manage your costs as well. For example, some of the features that we built are not used as much as we thought they would be. They were expensive to design and build, and they aren’t our customer’s favorite features. We could have done better user testing first before we built those. Lean into what Goji Labs is good at, which is risk mitigation, and use that to your advantage.

Gold