Midwest UX Design and Software Development.

We're an enterprise-grade UX design and software development agency strategizing cutting-edge digital products for growing startups and companies.

Ghost Lab
243 N. 5th Street
Columbus, OH 43215

UX/UI & Custom Software Dev for SaaS Software Company

“I haven’t had any issues with their technical capabilities ... They’ve done an outstanding job.”

2017 - Ongoing

Ghost Lab provided software development services for an Instagram marketing company. They developed several tools for brand promotion, including one with an integrated customer relationship management system.

Austin, Texas
Ramon Berrios
CEO, Prime Rank

The team handled the complex development projects effectively and are technically capable, effectively leveraging their in-house development team. They managed the projects very well at all times, maintained smooth communication, and met all the requirements.

I’m the CEO of Prime Rank builds SaaS [software as a service] products for Instagram marketing. Our biggest one is Socially Rich, which is ranked number one on Google for Instagram marketing service. We served around 5,000 clients in that space. From there, we’ve been able to find and meet people trying to market through Instagram.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

We needed help with software development.

They’ve been part of every tool in service we developed since our first. One of the tools is called Quotent.co. It’s going through a rebrand right now, to the name Betterpost. That tool has a database of quotes so it helps people generate content for Instagram in a much faster and scalable way.

We also built one called Primerank.co, which has a much more complex algorithm. It’s like a Google for Instagram to help companies find the perfect influencers to promote their brand, product launch, or marketing campaign. Not only can you search for the perfect influencer for your campaign, but it also has CRM [customer relationship management] built within it. It facilitates the process of onboarding an influencer into your campaign.

I hire them to manage my products. I’m a marketer and CEO and don’t work too closely with developers. I tell them exactly what I want building.

I work with one designer and one developer. Once in a while, we need someone in data entry to join the project. I talk with Nafis [Founder, Ghost Lab] most of the time. I barely have to interact with a developer because he facilitates the communication with the developer. I hire them to manage my products. I’m a marketer and CEO and don’t work too closely with developers.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

They were a referral from a friend so I decided to meet with him. After interviewing a bunch of companies and independent developers, I decided to go with them. I was going to bring a team in-house, but after I had my first experience working with Nafis, the designer of Ghost Lab, I found that he could find talent that exceeded my expectations. He’s great at managing them. We decided to continue working with them. The onboarding process is also quite professional, which is also one of the reasons I chose them.

We started working together in summer 2017 and the work is ongoing.

My projects are quite complex. I haven’t had any issues with their technical capabilities. They meet the requirements.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

For me, to manage developers is kind of hard because you need to understand a lot about the project. I use them to manage the project and communicate with the developers. It takes the stress away from me. It removes friction between me and the developer and makes the whole project run flawlessly.

They provided me an overqualified developer for the project just to make sure it can be done. The Quotent project, I had gone through two developers before using Ghost Lab. None of them could make it happen. It’s a super simple tool, but it was quite complex. They’ve done an outstanding job. The person that did the development for it was a very qualified person. Ghost Lab chooses a developer they know they’re not going to go wrong with.

I have no complaints. I never had a problem where we had to switch the developer during the project. With other companies, it has happened and cost me a lot of money.

Be very realistic with the timeline the project is going to take. Be realistic in the sense of trying to calculate unforeseen problems that will occur perhaps. Also, consider the testing and optimization of the project after the app or software is done. A tool or service can be done in a month, but with testing and optimizing it could be delayed up to 4–6 months. Don’t be in a rush to find a developer.

UX Design & Strategy for B2B Transportation Tech App

“[T]hey always help the client determine the vision of the overall goal.”

Feb. 2016 - Ongoing

Ghost Lab provided user experience and user interface support to a targeted marketing platform. They worked on the designs and frameworks of an iOS app and web platform, using Sketch, AngularJS, and JavaScript.

Atlanta, Georgia
Sneh Parmar
CEO, Parka Solutions

Currently in its pilot phase, the project went through several iterations which involved their careful support on designs and strategy. Those who saw the platform praised its look and feel, particularly the user interface. They are dedicated partners who focus on the long-term aims of the project.

I am the CEO and founder of Parka Solutions. We have developed a location-based marketing platform focused on the transportation industry. If someone is traveling on public transport or taking an Uber or Lyft to a certain location, brands are able to target specific ads, discounts, and awards in order to incentivize someone to go to their physical stores.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

We needed help with our user interface and user experience [UI and UX], and we were trying to figure out the best approach on how to position the product.

The majority of the work we did with them was focused on UX. They helped us with the UX of the app itself which is a B2B focused platform. Currently, it is going to be an iOS app and mostly a web platform for the brands. A lot of the design and initial frameworks were also done by them. Since then, they have moved on to helping us a little bit more with product strategy and focus.

For the web platform, they used Sketch, AngularJS, and JavaScript. Their team has been able to help us in terms of the little things such as the type of development resources to use, and how to best go about it.

We worked with a few people on their team, who were specifically focused on UX and design work. One of the designers we worked with helped us create the initial application and framework, and then we moved on to work with a user experience designer to focus on more of the positioning of materials and designs.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

I found them through a friend of mine. We reached out to them and have had a great relationship since. At the time, we had looked at 3–5 other design companies to bring on board. We liked their attention to detail as well as their aptitude of working with the founders of a company to help figure out the best way to create the product.

We have spent around $25,000.

We started working together in February of 2016 and the work is ongoing.

We had gone through a couple of different pivots and iterations while we have been working together. For the iteration that we have currently and launched with for a pilot phase, we have been working on for the last 6 months.

The team was extremely helpful and meticulous on our designs, UX, and helping us on our strategy side. When we have shown the platform to other people, they have really liked the design, and really liked the UI and experience of how they can work with the platform. It has been great so far.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

We discuss what the current priority of each task is. Based on that, myself and their team decide what a sufficient date would be for that deadline. They always hit any deadline we decide upon.

One of the best things about them is that they have been prodding us with continuous revisions and support. They are always vision focused. Whenever they work with a new client, they always help the client determine the vision of the overall goal. As a client, they help them think long-term in terms of where the product wants to be. They help design in a way that is ready to scale.

They’ve been a full agency for us and done a lot of the work. In terms of improvement, some of the areas where they could improve is to get a bit more technical support on their team, such as engineers, so that they could help more on the technical side as well.

The most important thing when looking for an agency to work with is whoever you talk to on that team is going to be a main point of contact. Make sure their vision aligns with yours, that they understand your product completely, and that for them it is not just a project where it is going to last a couple of months and is more of a longer-term goal for them as well. If you feel they are invested in it, then you know they are a good fit.

Web & Mobile App Design for Software Dev Integration Agency

“Ghost Lab has been invaluable as they allow us to focus on what we’re good at.”

2016 - Ongoing

Ghost Lab works innovators through the discovery process by scoping projects’ wireframes and functionalities and creating designs. They developed multiple projects including a web application and a mobile app.

New Castle, Deleware
Founder, Software Dev Agency

Ghost Lab is a strong partner, trusted as though they were employees. They excel at listening to ideas and having productive conversations in layman’s terms to develop them into manageable projects. They impress with their efficiency in delivering high-quality work long before deadlines.

I am the founder of a software development agency. I oversee day-to-day activities and do some development as well.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

We were looking for a good American design firm that we could rely on for a specific project and use consistently in the future. We had been burned by some overseas designers in the past, and we were looking for someone that would be both reliable and on the same wavelength. We wanted to be able to give them some ideas that they could run with.

We have used them for a few projects. One was a social media influencer project for a web app. We had a client that wanted to create a discovery platform where brands push their products and find people in their space that can do some paid advertising on their behalf. The problem was finding people to do this, especially in specific locations and demographics. We ran through the idea with Ghost Lab to figure out what the MVP was. They usually handle the sifting through a hatchling of an idea with the client and figure out how to turn it into a product, which they are really good at doing.

From there, once decisions have been made on the functionality and what the wireframes will look like, they do the designs and the narration process of what the client wants. We also work with Nafis Azad [Founder and CEO, Ghost Lab] and team during this whole process so that we know there are no red flags with the tech details or to keep the scope from blowing up if the client starts asking for additional features, etc. We have a close relationship between our companies as it is to our mutual benefit that we are on the same page and understand what each other is doing. Nafis is usually involved with the first 35%–50% of projects in scoping them out, designing them, and working with the client, and then he hands it off to my company.

More recently, we have used them to work on an education mobile app, which connects students with study sessions at their university. We used Ghost Lab to scope out that project and work on the wireframes until we had a complete design. They owned the entire process because they are located very close to that client, which was beneficial.

We have more projects in the pipeline for both mobile and web apps. We use them for anything design related and where it is possible to scope projects out to them. Clients come to us with crazy ideas with no clue how to put it into an app or what things to trim; Ghost Lab has been invaluable as they allow us to focus on what we’re good at.

One of our developers works with one of their designers every once in a while, but primarily I work with Nafis. It is easier to let him own a big part of the client relationship because he always gets results and he is trustworthy. We generally don’t deal with each other’s employees.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

We found them through one of my clients who have an education company. They worked with Nafis in the past, and they introduced us.

We spend around $60,000 for a project.

The relationship started in 2016 and the work is ongoing.

He gets the projects done quickly compared to other people I have worked with. I usually allocate two to three months for the design phase and usually receive things back within six weeks, which has been really nice.

I have always been very happy with them. I was at a point where I was getting increasingly frustrated with designers and contractors I had worked with, but Ghost Lab has alleviated all of my pain points. They have become an asset because I can hand the client to them and they have the ability to scope out the project. I let them talk to the client as if they were my own employees, and I don’t have to worry about it. The work they produce is great, and I have never had anyone complain. I’ll be redesigning my website this year, and I am going to have them do it. I am honestly very happy with their work.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

We have never had any issues. If anything, their timeliness is one of their strongest suits. That is pretty rare in this business.

Communication skills are also one of their strengths. Normally, I wouldn’t trust someone talking to the client on our behalf. I was very impressed with Nafis in my initial interactions with him and the way he speaks and presents himself. This is something that you don’t always find in tech-focused companies. He is fully able to break things down such as tech jargon to non-technical clients in a way that not everyone is able to do. I have been on various calls with prospective clients with him, and it is a relief to a client to be able to work with someone who understands the perspective that the client is coming from.

No. When we first started working with them, they weren’t fully aware of our technical capabilities or our product offerings, which was a growing experience, but not a complaint.

They are affordable especially because they are a smaller company.

UI/UX Redesign for Social Sharing App

"They are very interested in maximizing your results and ensuring your product’s success."

Nov. - Nov. 2016

Ghost Lab handled UI/UX design for a mobile social sharing app. They worked on an aggressive deadline to create a prototype for investors.

Madison, Wisconsin
Dave Sentenn
Former Consulting CMO, Chitter

Every design created by Ghost Lab impressed investors with its sophisticated appearance and fluid user experience. Their lead designer was an exceptionally valuable partner. He offered insightful feedback, communicated promptly about any issues, and delivered outstanding, effective results.

I currently the chief marketing officer of a company called Cashflow Diary, a real estate education company. We train people in real estate investment and entrepreneurship. I handle all company marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

As a CMO, I consult with startups during early development, after they've been funded and are looking to develop traction and establish growth channels. At the time, I was a helping a company called Chitter improve the UX/UI design of their app.

That's when I was introduced to Nafis at Ghost Lab, who handled the entire UX/UI redesign. He's been consulting with us for a future project, but I brought him into the conversation because of the work we had done at Chitter.

Chitter was a social sharing app that helped users find deals in their area. Restaurants could set up promotions that rewarded you with an in-app $2 discount for taking photos of your meal and sharing it to your social network. It never went public. We were rebranding it and redesigning the app, but the CEO started to develop something new, and so everything ended. I was later named co-founder of Chitter.

We needed an interface to serve as a professional, deliberate structure for all the new processes and user experience elements that we planned to implement. We asked: what’s going to happen from start to finish? How are users going to locate the deals? What type of deals will be offered, and what will what the deliverability look like? If somebody wants to redeem a deal, how will that screen look? What's the user flow? That's where Nafis and Ghost Lab came in.

I had a relationship with the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce, which was willing to serve as our guinea pig. I had an opportunity to present to the entire chamber. Because the meeting came out of nowhere, we were under pressure to design the app quickly. A UX/UI design project that should have taken 1-2 months needed to be completed in about 9 days so that we had something to present. It didn’t need to be perfect or functional, just ready for a showcase.

Nafis, co-founder and owner of Ghost Lab, was our main point of contact and primary designer.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

They were brought in by the CEO of Chitter before I joined them as a consultant.

Nafis was involved in a startup agreement that offered shares in the company.However, based on what I know needed to be built, it must have cost around $25,000—$35,000 just to plan the UX and design, excluding development costs.

We worked with them for a month back in November 2016. I took over Cashflow Diary in January, and I was still working with Chitter up until that point.

The design was very well received in the presentation with the chamber. Normally, the back and forth process with designers involves a lot of “That's great, but the white space is bad” or “This doesn’t look good.” But what Nafis came back with was insane. It was not only gorgeous, but it also offered a fantastic user experience. I was very impressed.

Nafis only gave it one quick pass, but he built a product that was ten times better than anything that the CEO had created before I came on board. His notable talent is the reason why I keep going back to them. I have a design background, and he did everything I would have done. It was fantastic.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

We have never had any issues with deadlines or communication. They're extremely responsive. We didn’t communicate for several months because the project was hung up by the CEO. I reached out to Nafis via text message for a Cashflow Diary issue, and he was available to schedule a call promptly. We didn't need to reschedule; he's extremely receptive.

Their communication impressed me the most. Nafis is a professional communicator with an agency mindset. Again, that's not something fly-by-night: it comes with time and experience. They are very interested in maximizing your results and ensuring your product’s success.

Nafis brings a lot to the table. He's not looking for anybody to tell him what to do. He’s a very talented designer who comes prepared with his own ideas and experience. He will agree with your ideas if there's something to be agreed with, but he doesn't bite his tongue if feedback is necessary. He tells you what he would do. He's knowledgeable, but more importantly, he's very talented. That's not something you can teach.

There's nothing there for me; it was a quality experience.

Web Redesign for Medical Equipment Company

“Their work ethic was very impressive, and really stood out to us.”

Aug. - Oct. 2017

Ghost Lab revamped an existing site to align with a shift from B2B focus to a more sales-oriented, B2C strategy. They used Webflow and custom coding to integrate Shopify and create a unique user experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
Partha Unnava
CEO, BW Health

Conversion rates increased significantly following the launch. Fast-paced edits and clear communication yielded in a smooth, visually appealing end product that accurately represented the client’s brand.

I am the CEO of BWHealth. We specialize in medical devices and preventative sports gear.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

We built our original site internally, and were looking to revamp it and shift from a B2B focus to a more sales-oriented B2C platform. We were prioritizing aesthetics, testimonials, and integration with our Shopify.

They took a lead on all aspects of development, and successfully integrated with Shopify. We wanted a minimalist look and feel to accurately reflect our brand identity, and Ghost Lab’s aesthetics are in line with that. The process started as an overview of our current site, and we listed all of the features we wanted to change. They wireframed a new version of the site, which we then approved, made comments, and went through a revision process. Our focus was on achieving customer conversions and creating a unique brand experience within the medical industry. Once we had the layout established and the feature set approved, they started on the full build. There were two additional approval points throughout this buildout that allowed us to make final edits.

The site was built on Webflow, and they provided some custom coding solutions to improve the Shopify integration, the testimonials, and several animations on the site.

I just interacted with a project manager, so I’m not sure how many developers they had on the project.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

I had previous known Nafis [Founder & CEO, Ghost Lab] and followed him on social media. I’ve always liked his eye for frontend design, fonts, and general aesthetics, so I reached out when we needed the help.

We invested about $10,000.

We started working together in August of 2017, and we completed the site in October.

After launching the site, we saw a significant increase in conversion rates. We hadn’t been driving a lot of traffic during the strategic pivot, but the traffic we were already getting started converting immediately. That was very good to see. We also didn’t have to create any more collateral, as the site began to function as an overall “one-pager” for what we do. We were then able to share just our site, which made interactions much easier. Although the site is still relatively new, we haven’t encountered any bugs so far, which is a great sign.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. The communication was very effective, and I think that’s the most important part of projects like these.

Their work ethic was very impressive, and really stood out to us. They reliably turned around edits within a day or two, which meshed very well with our pace of work. I still use them on projects now here and there. When we have anything that requires heavy design and visual elements, they’re the fastest, most reliable option, and the quality of their work is great. They cared about the work that we do, and invested in our success.

Honestly, there was nothing negative about the experience.

Advice for potential customers?

You should mesh well with the person you’re working with. If you have good rapport and it feels like a good relationship, it’s going to work.

I've referred them to dozens of people.

UX Design for Mobile Ticketing App

“Our ratings and registered users have gone way up since we redesigned the app.”

Oct. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Ghost Lab redesigned and worked on improving the user experience of a ticket selling application for iOS and Android. They focused on the frontend of the application and work on the 25 screens it involved.

Columbus, Ohio
Ray Shealy
Chairman, Ticketfire

With a rating of 4.7 on the Apple App Store and nearly 70,000 registered users, the app’s redesign was hugely successful and it is now modern, up-to-date, and much easier to use. The Ghost Lab team combined their creative flair and technological expertise with dedication and careful preparation.

I am the chairman of Ticketfire. We sell tickets and have an app used by over 2,000 ticket brokers throughout the world. It takes pictures of hard tickets and turns them into mobile or PDF tickets, which turns physical assets into digital assets. Once they are digital they have a higher value because we can sell them more at the last minute.

What challenge were you trying to address with Ghost Lab?

We needed to update our app. It needed some redesign, and we wanted it to be current, cool, and increase the usability of it.

We had an app for iOS and Android but it needed to be updated as it was a little out of date, which was more complicated than we thought it was going to be. When we first got into it, we thought there were going to be 17 screens, but it ended being 25. They helped us through all of it. The intense part was on the frontend and then we had some other things to work on and tweak.

It allows people to take a picture of their tickets to a concert, sporting event or whatever it may be, and post them. We create a link on someone’s Facebook page where the tickets can be sold to a friend.

We worked with two people who did amazing work and turned it around really quickly. They exceeded our expectations in all ways.

How did you come to work with Ghost Lab?

I’m quite involved in the tech community in Columbus and I believe Ghost Lab had done some work for another company is in one of the incubators I am with. I asked around doing some design work and someone had referred them to us.

We spent around $10,000–$15,000.

We worked with them from October 2016 through to February 2017.

It has been great and the app is current. We’re rated 4.7 in the iOS store. We’re just about ready to start marketing it and have over 68,000 registered users of our app now, which keeps growing weekly. The facts speak for themselves. Our ratings and registered users have gone way up since we redesigned the app.

How did Ghost Lab perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always ready for our weekly meetings and would come back with the promised deliverables. Often on projects like this, the company wants to go faster than the consultants can go. In this particular case, we weren’t always ready and they helped to push us. This made us make a lot of decisions—redesigning the app meant there were a lot of implications and edge cases that we hadn’t thought about, which they forced us to so that it would flow and create a good user experience. I thought they were very responsive and we had no issues whatsoever on deliverables or timeliness. They were great.

They’re very focused on getting it right and on giving us great service. The results speak for themselves as we have a great product, which is highly rated. They played a big part in helping us get there.

Not really. I know they are growing and I think they need to keep up with doing what they are doing.

You want to have someone that is experienced as well as current. You can find someone that is current, but might not be experienced in how to lay out things properly, and you can find someone that is experienced that might not be hip enough to know what the latest and greatest is. Ghost Lab has both of those aspects nailed, which was a big benefit for us.

I have already recommended them.

Mobile Dev for Social Education App

“Ghost Lab delivered an incredible product ahead of schedule—it was everything we dreamed it would be.”

Sept. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Ghost Lab built the MVP of a mobile app that allows students to connect with classmates and learn collaboratively. The team also helped with branding, testing, and submission to the app stores.

Columbus, Ohio
Co-Founder, Social Education App

They kept their promise, completing a deployable app within a limited timeframe. Ghost Lab’s constant communication and advice inspired confidence and helped expedite the project.

I’m the co-founder of a mobile application that facilitates student interaction outside of the college classroom. This is done through course-relevant study sessions.

For what projects/services did your company hire Ghost Lab?

We needed help with branding as well as end-to-end design and development.

Our goal was to create a seamless, deployable minimum viable product quickly.

They had a reputation for delivering quality development with some of the best interface design I've seen in the industry.

Ghost Lab worked with us from the conceptualization of the product to our upcoming launch. They made sure we understood every step of the way. Following completion, testing was rapid, allowing us to quickly submit our product to both Android and iOS stores. Ghost Lab also handled this for us.

A handful of developers were involved as well as a very talented user interface and user experience design specialist.

Ghost Lab delivered an incredible product ahead of schedule—it was everything we dreamed it would be. Thanks to them, we're gearing up to launch our pilot at a handful of major universities at the end of the month.

How effective was the project management?

It was seamless. Nafis [CEO, Ghost Lab] stayed in constant contact with me and my team. They always kept us updated about completed milestones and let us know of any delays. We also received valuable input for various decisions our team had to make throughout the process.

The best part had to be the constant communication. My team and I felt at ease throughout the entire process, thanks to their weekly updates. Any questions or issues we had were immediately answered and resolved.

Regardless of what stage you're at, Ghost Lab can provide critical value. They can manage multiple, fairly large products all at once while providing everybody with top-tier service.

Overall Score At the end of the day, they delivered on everything they promised and more. Today, that kind of service has a great impact.
    They were always in constant contact.
    Given the scale of our product, it seemed fair.
    Everything that we asked for and more was delivered ahead of schedule.
    It was an incredible experience working with this talented team. We will be bringing all future work their way.