Solutions for Managing Content and Infrastructure

General Networks Corporation delivers technology consulting services for customers who need to manage and process critical business content.

• Since 1984, we have brought together business strategy, specialized application expertise, and creative and technology professionals to solve business problems.
  • We help our clients create effective solutions for automating and securing business applications and data, from simple electronic libraries to complex document assembly and workflow - both in the cloud and on-premises.
  • Our depth of experience reduces the time and risk of implementing IT solutions.

General Networks is a Clutch Top IT Services Firm in Los Angeles.

1984
Glendale, CA
  • 3524 Ocean View Boulevard
    Glendale, CA 91208

Arcadia Unified School District, Kelley Blue Book, LA County Employee Retirement Association, BreitBurn Energy Company and LA County Sanitation District.

IT Handling for Commercial Lighting Company

"Their ability to tailor their services based on our needs is really impressive."

Aug. 2019 - Ongoing

General Networks is the IT provider for a commercial lighting company. The team has managed an email migration, cloud storage, cybersecurity, as well as employee training and new employee onboarding.

Burbank, California
CEO, Commercial Lighting Company

Thanks to General Networks’ services, internal stakeholders feel comfortable and at-ease with the state of their IT infrastructure. A capable team, they’re able to handle any issue with expertise. Customers can expect a smooth, successful engagement.

I’m the CEO of a commercial lighting company. We design, sell, and manufacture decorative architectural lighting products.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

When I joined the company, I noticed our IT architecture was a little outdated. We brought General Networks in to update it.

General Network’s main responsibility was building a network that was robust and stable from an IT standpoint. That included email, cloud storage, cybersecurity, employee training, and other related areas. Specifically with the email migration project, the team took us from GoDaddy to Office 365.

We’re based in California, but we have remote employees across the country, so our IT needs have been a little varied.

It depends on the individual task, but overall, we probably talk to five or six people within their group, including Jeff (VP of Technical Service Sales).

How did you come to work with General Networks?

We found them through our web development vendor, who recommended them to us. When I talked to them, it was clear they could handle our project, so we went through with them.

We’ve spent between $35,000–$40,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since August 2019.

When I joined, I felt extremely uncomfortable with the state of our computer network system. Since we’ve partnered with General Networks, I don’t even think of it. To be able to give them the reins and not have to worry has been incredible. Not only are they technically competent, they’re reliable.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

For each task, General Networks identifies a project manager or point person who will come onsite and execute. I personally worked with a project manager, who acts as the eyes and ears of the office.

Overall, their project management skills have been fantastic. I don’t recall any dates that slipped, and there have been times when the team has stayed past work hours to finish a project.

Their ability to tailor their services based on our needs is really impressive. I’ve never felt like they were trying to sell me things I didn’t need. However, not only are they technically competent, they’re reliable. General Networks is hands-on, knowledgeable, and adaptable.

There’s nothing that comes to mind; they’ve been exemplary.

If you’re an IT novice, don’t be afraid to reach out to General Networks and explain what you need in your terms. They’ll be able to interpret you and help you on your level.

IT Services for Educational Institution

"I couldn’t have asked for a better organization."

Sept. 2019 - Apr. 2020

General Networks helped set up a new server for an educational organization. They recommended the right hardware and software to load, set up a failover server, and provided documentation.

Anaheim, California
Systems Administrator, Educational Institution

The new server has allowed the client to load the latest OS, improve their security, and gain support packages. General Networks saved the client money by reusing their equipment instead of recommending new purchases. Their professionalism and clear communication stood out.

I’m a systems administrator for an educational institution.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We needed assistance with upgrading our data center — specifically, updating the hardware and maintaining the overall infrastructure and security.

We purchased a new server, and General Networks helped us spin it up and load the appropriate OS and RAID configuration according to their recommendations. They then installed digital services like Active Directory (AD), DHCP, and DNS roles. These act as a function of the organization to maintain our core infrastructure so that people can log in and change passwords and our computers can communicate with different appliances throughout the network.

Lastly, General Networks helped us spin up a high availability failover server that would take precedence if anything happened to the first server. They provided both onsite and remote support.

We worked with three people: two engineers and a sales individual.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

I was new to my position, so I did my own research by searching Google and reading Yelp reviews. General Networks had very positive feedback, so I asked them to provide a bid. As a public organization, we’re required to consider multiple companies for a project like this.

General Networks’ salesperson brought their team onsite to give us both a better understanding of what our needs were. They offered impressive suggestions and offered us a much lower bid because they were able to reuse our equipment instead of recommending new equipment.

We spent about $5,000.

The project started in September 2019 and wrapped up in April 2020. It could have moved much faster but due to constraints on our side, we experienced a lot of delays.

Thanks to General Networks’ help, we were able to update our machines to the latest OS, improving the security posture of our organization and letting us get the support packages we needed.

We also went a discovery process to review our high levels policies like DNS and DHCP and to mitigate stale files in the database. This improved our performance and minimized errors. Lastly, General Networks helped us review our retention policies. That way, we’re not as susceptible to ransomware, and we can reproduce our server in a timely manner if anything happens. That was one of our biggest achievements.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

I couldn’t have asked for a better organization. I’m relatively new to this and have limited experience working with other vendors. Any communication with General Networks was superb. They were easily accessible and prompt to respond. Their sales consultant followed up multiple times to make sure we were on task. The team was flexible throughout the project even when we found out we couldn’t achieve specific objectives due to a lack of time or resources. It helped us understand better our environment so we know what we need in the future.

General Networks also did a good job of documenting our server, which was a major aspect of the project. In the end, we did a knowledge transfer to cover all tasks and goals that they met, inform us where we need to be, and go over best practices based on their recommendations for our environment. Now, we’re more informed of our network and what’s on it.

The ability to communicate effectively and in a timely manner is the number one priority for me. I could’ve hired someone to do what General Networks did, but not necessarily with the same level of communication.

Even when COVID-19 forced us and other clients of theirs to migrate to remote work, we never felt like General Networks neglected us. They kept us informed and reached out to check our status multiple times.

No, I was thrilled all around. They delivered everything we asked for, and I’d definitely work with them in the future.

Trust them. Their prices are competitive and reasonable. Their communication is top-notch; their sales team will follow up with you to make sure engineers are on target and meeting your objectives in a timely manner.

Overall Score I look forward to working with them again.
    Their prices were a major factor for why we hired them.
    If I could give a higher score, I would.

IT Services and Ongoing Support for Court Reporting Agencies

“General Networks always delivers on what they promise.”

2014 - Ongoing

General Network provides IT services and ongoing support to a court reporting agency. Their team provides licenses, email server migration support, and infrastructure upgrades.

Glendale, California
Charlie Savage
VP of IT, Atkinson Baker

Their services and support have been satisfactory, and any technology they have provided has run faithfully for years. General Network goes above and beyond to be available, leading to a successful longterm relationship. Their team provides quality support and is on time.

I am the vice president of IT at Atkinson Baker Inc., a court reporting agency that provides services to law firms.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We were looking for IT services and support for our business.

General Networks has provided us IT support on a longterm basis, going back as far as when we had network servers. Most recently they have been helping us with infrastructure upgrades. Our last major project was a migration of our email server from Exchange Server 2003 to the 2013 version in 2014.

Additionally, General Networks is our Microsoft licensing partner. We have purchased other software through them such as Carbonite Solutions or Visual Studio. They provide us with Hewlett-Packard hardware. We don’t have any sort of retainer with them. I will occasionally contact General Networks for emergency support and they always muster up some people on my behalf within a few hours.

Generally, we work with one technician at a time. Our main point of contact has been Herb (Director of Technical Services, General Networks) and two other members of the General Networks team.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

We were looking for support on NetWare Servers back when we used to have those. They were the local support contact for NetWare so we began working with them.

It varies year to year. For major infrastructure projects, we can spend $20,000–$40,000 in a year, but we will go eight years without a major project. We spend another several thousand a year on licenses.

We’ve had an ongoing engagement with them going back to the 1990s, but our last major project was in 2014.

General Networks always delivers on what they promise. On one occasion, we had ordered a server than they provisions, and it turned out to not be the right fit for us. Their team got the whole server swapped out by Hewlett-Packard for us.

The systems they have installed or provided for us have been running faithfully for many years. They’re rock solid. Everything they have built for us has worked very well.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They have fine project management. They show up on time and get things down. We communicate largely through email and will meet in person every now and then.

They go above and beyond to provide and provision Hewlett-Packard servers for us. They actually get them set up and ready to roll.

We tend to be a self-service shop, but if they could expand their services to include strategic advice or mentoring, we would love that.

Be clear on what you want and frank in your discussions. Make sure to be transparent on the parameters of what you need and what your company is willing to spend.

Overall Score I’m very happy with them
    They’re very fair. They deliver what’s promised and we get our money’s worth.
    I’d recommend them to anyone in the San Fernando Valley.

IT Services for Homeless Shelter

“They're very responsive and attentive to our needs.”

General Networks built a Power BI tool, integrated it with Office 365, and added radio buttons. They also set up unique sign-in logos, helped with software licensing, and provided other IT services.

Chris Amerine
IT Director, Union Rescue Mission

The systems are functioning as expected and the in-house team has been able to work more efficiently. General Networks goes above and beyond to meet all needs, while their wide range of expertise helps them successfully handle a variety of tasks.

I'm an IT director at Union Rescue Mission. We're the largest homeless shelter in Los Angeles.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We were looking for a vendor to help us build a custom Office 365 and provide other IT services.

General Networks helped us with network identity, security, and licensing. They built out a Power BI tool for us, which is an interactive form that allows our users to submit security incidents at our facility at anytime. They also integrated it with our Office 365, built radio buttons, and created a single sign-on. In addition, they set up some unique sign-in logos, helped us get software licensing for desktop imaging, and provided SharePoint assistance.

I mostly work with my project manager and a developer.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

They were recommended to us by another company we were working with.

We've spent about $6,000.

We started working with General Networks in January 2018 and the relationship is ongoing.

We're a small shop and there are a lot of moving parts. General Networks has a lot of expertise, so they've helped us save a lot of time and work more effectively.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very responsive and attentive to our needs. They get requirements from us and do their part of the job. After that, it's my turn to get back to them, which occasionally causes delays because I’m very busy.

They have a deep bench of talent. They're experienced with everything from SharePoint and Office 365 to security issues and software deployment.

I can't think of anything. I plan to continue working with them.

Be prepared to give them the information that they need to execute the project. Our biggest holdup was me not being as responsive as they needed me to be.

They get back to me as soon as I send my deliverables to them.
    They're well worth the price that I paid.
    Their level of expertise is phenomenal.
    I've already recommended them.

Managed IT Services for Investment Firm

"Their team's greatest asset is their ability to respond immediately to problems."

Jun. 2014 - Ongoing

General Networks manages IT services for an investment firm. The team informs hardware and software decisions in addition to providing day-to-day support.

Elliot Zeelander
Managing Partner, Mathers Associates

Delivering solutions to challenges quickly, General Networks ensures the system runs smoothly. The team’s responsiveness supports quality services, which makes them a valuable partner.

I’m the general partner of an investment fund.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We needed a partner to manage the daily operations of our network.

General Networks replaced our one-man IT department. Their team manages our entire network, from resolving small issues to helping our team select the best computers for running our systems. Their team has also directed us to Microsoft 365 for storing files in the cloud instead of on our PCs.

We work with about six General Networks teammates. There’s always someone to help us.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

A colleague recommended them.

We spend about $7,000 a year with them.

We began working together in June 2014, and our engagement is ongoing.

The quality of the work is great. Their team provides solutions quickly. General Networks is good at putting out fires.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate mostly by email, but also by telephone when needed.

No, not at all.

Hire them to resolve computer or IT issues.

Cybersecurity Upgrades for Logistics & IT Solutions Agency

“I can’t say enough good things about their work.”

Mar. - Jun. 2019

General Networks executed infrastructure upgrades to ensure compliance with NIST. Deliverables included vulnerability assessments, an automated training program, a patching system, and network configuration.

51-200

Lynn Dines
Founder & CEO, Synectic Solutions, Inc.

The team’s scheduling and communication capabilities differentiate them from other IT service providers, supplementing a decade-long engagement. In the most recent project, General Networks uncovered problems that internal stakeholders weren’t aware of and quickly fixed them.

I’m the founder and CEO of Synectic Solutions, Inc., which primarily does analysis and planning for the U.S. Department of Defense. We have around 150 employees in eight states.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

General Networks has been maintaining our networks for around ten years. Most recently, we engaged them to do infrastructure upgrades associated with NIST compliance.

General Networks provided a full-range protection system to avoid any cybersecurity issues. They conducted site surveys and helped us identify and implement a SIEM to monitor our system. They did vulnerability assessments of our systems, set up an automated training program, and installed an additional patching system for our networks and desktops. The team also configured our wireless networks and portable devices to satisfy cyber requirements.

We primarily worked with three people. Our main point of contact was Jeff (Account Manager, General Networks).

How did you come to work with General Networks?

It’s hard for me to say, since they’ve been our primary IT provider for over ten years. Since they’d done a good job for us in the past, we reached out to them to do the infrastructure upgrades.

I believe my company has spent around $100,000 in total.

The most recent project spanned March–June 2019.

General Networks helped us identify problems that we didn’t realize we had, and they resolved them very efficiently. They were extremely cooperative and stayed on schedule and budget. I can’t say enough good things about their work.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They were outstanding. In terms of scheduling and communication, they were better than any service provider I’ve worked with. They were well-prepared for our weekly status meetings over the phone, and they always sent summaries after the meeting. If we needed to interface between these meetings, we did so via email.

General Networks was very good at staying on schedule. They were communicative and responsive.

No, I can’t think of anything.

They provide good value.

Managed IT Service for Manufacturing Firm

“General Networks has been on top of everything and immediately fixed any problem we’ve had.”

Jun. 2016 - Ongoing

General Networks has been providing comprehensive IT support that includes maintaining servers and computers, addressing any IT issues that arise, and helping with annual equipment replacement.

California
General Manager, Marking Company

The business has been functioning without interruptions and the in-house team is satisfied. General Networks' expertise, collaborative working environment, and the ability to respond right away made them a reliable partner.

I'm a general manager at a marketing company.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We have several servers and many computers that need support, so we were looking for a vendor to help us with our IT needs.

General Networks maintains our servers remotely and helps us address any issues that come up with our network. They offer a help desk, so we can call them if we're having a problem that they can't see on their end. They also come to our office to update our computers or fix a problem with our server. They work quickly, so they can address most of the issues right away, usually within an hour. In addition, General Networks upgrades our servers and helps us with our annual equipment replacement.

We have a point of contact at the help desk, who handles our calls. They also have an external team that they send out for on-site support.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

We were referred to them by another company we were working with.

We pay them just under $50,000 a year.

We started working with them in June 2016, and the relationship is ongoing.

We've been able to avoid any interruptions in the workflow because of their continuous support. If one of our computers or servers goes down, we'll go out of business. General Networks has been on top of everything and immediately fixed any problem we’ve had. They've also been very helpful getting us the quotes for the new equipment. Also, they're easy to work with, even though most of the time they're working behind the scenes.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They have several departments that work in unison with each other, which makes things easy for us.

They respond right away when we contact them, and it’s not an auto-reply, but a real, social contact.

No. They've given us everything we've asked of them.

We've never had any issues with scheduling or availability.
    They're a bit expensive, but they do high-quality work.

Email Server Update for Private Insurance Company

“We have a good relationship with them and hope to use them again for other projects.”

Nov. 2018

General Networks migrated email servers for a private insurance company from Microsoft Exchange 2010 to Office 365. They set up necessary scripts within the existing server and monitored the process.

Calabasas, California
Steve Soules
Network Engineer, Topa Insurance

The transfer ran smoothly, and General Networks sent regular status reports as it progressed. They managed the project well and were always responsive. Their thoroughness and attention to detail made them good partners.

We're a private insurance company called Topa Insurance. I'm the network engineer.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

Microsoft was sunsetting its Exchange 2010 system, and we needed a team to migrate our email servers to Office 365.

They worked with one of our sister companies to facilitate the migration. They logged into our existing server and set up all the necessary scripts. Then, they monitored the process through to its completion.

We have a team of three, which includes a project manager, an engineer, and one other team member.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

I searched the internet for companies that do migrations like this. They were local, and I got quotes from one other company. They provided the lower bid, so we decided to hire them.

We spent between $2,000-$4,000 for the migration.

We worked together in November of 2018 and wrapped up the whole project within about a month.

They sent us status reports every other day during the migration. They set up a program called SkyKick to transfer our existing mailboxes over to Office 365, and the entire process took a couple of weeks. We always knew where we were in the process and what percentage of the transfer was complete at any given point.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent project managers, and the whole team was always very responsive. They were thorough, and they followed up and answered questions right away. We have a good relationship with them and hope to use them again for other projects.

They listen to small details. The team always went the extra mile to make sure we understood what was happening, and they made sure everything was completed properly.

They can always expand to take on bigger projects.

I highly recommend them; they’re a very good vendor. They have a niche for certain areas in IT, and they’ll offer you an excellent quote.

They're very thorough, and they regularly follow up.
    They offered the best quote we received, and they did a great job.
    They have an excellent team of engineers with good expertise and knowledge.
    I recommend them all the time.

Cloud Migration for Real Estate Company

“The upgrades they've made have had a big impact on our business...”

Nov. 2014 - Ongoing

General Networks provides IT services and support for various projects as needed, including upgrading a server to a cloud-based platform.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Vice President, Real Estate Firm

General Networks provides reliable, top-quality IT support. The upgrades they've made have helped improve internal efficiencies, saving the business a lot of time in the process. Responsive, accessible, and organized in their approach, they continue to be great partners.

I'm the vice president of a real estate firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

I wasn't happy with my previous IT provider, so I engaged General Networks to initially help us on a cloud migration project, upgrading one of our servers.

In addition to migrating one of our servers to the cloud, General Networks provides ongoing IT and help desk support services. We generally work with them on a project by project basis, calling their tech support as needed.

I have one main point of contact, and we generally just call in when we need IT assistance.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

We weren't happy with our original IT provider, so we started looking around and came across General Networks.

We've spend up to $10,000 over the last two and a half years.

I believe we've been working with them since 2014.

General Networks has been great to work with. They have a great team of tech experts that are very accessible to us. They're always able to resolve our issues very quickly.

The upgrades they've made have had a big impact on our business, improving our ability to organize and access files quickly in our document-intensive business.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very responsive and good about documenting everything. We're able to call in and get someone working on our projects quickly whenever we need their support.

General Networks' responsiveness and accessibility sets them apart; we've had a harder time getting prompt support from other providers.

Be clear about what your needs and goals are, and be willing to collaborate with them as needed to make sure they have access to everything they need in order to meet those needs.

IT Managed Services for Cabling Company

“We can now run our business with confidence that our IT network is functional and secure.”

Nov. 2013 - Ongoing

As the host of the network’s infrastructure, General Networks provide ongoing support and maintenance for the system. This includes help desk assistance, hardware maintenance, and data security updates.

Chatsworth, CA
David Burr
Founder, PPC Network Solutions

Business efficiency has improved significantly since General Networks stabilized the unpredictable system. Although there isn’t a formal ticketing process in place, their support team manages to respond and resolve issues at a rapid pace. The quality of their network services is unmatched.

I’m the founder and an ongoing principal of PPC Network Solutions. As an infrastructure contractor, we provide cabling systems for phone, data, and security systems.

What challenge were you trying to address with General Networks?

We had limited space and an unreliable power supply, so outsourcing our networking activity was our best option for uninterrupted service.

After they acquired a space and data center to host our network infrastructure, General Networks transferred all of our equipment to its new location. Since the migration, they have been providing ongoing support for our internal network system. In addition to assisting us through the virtual help desk, they maintain our equipment and update our warranties, licenses, and data security software. We also buy and lease some of our gear from General Networks.

We have three points of contact who oversee different aspects of our account. The helpdesk contact reviews service requests, while the sales contact keeps us updated on warranties and renewals. We also have access to an admin contact who assists with high-level technical issues.

How did you come to work with General Networks?

Of the three IT support companies that we reached out to, General Networks was the most impressive. They’re highly intelligent, they offer cost-effective service plans, and their location is near our office.

To date, we have spent approximately $100,000 for service and equipment.

Our partnership began in 2013.

General Networks provides a level of support and expertise that we’ve never had within our organization. We can now run our business with confidence that our IT network is functional and secure. When issues occur, their team is there with an immediate resolution. In addition to maintaining a reliable network system, their services have reduced the costs that we were spending on in-house technicians.

How did General Networks perform from a project management standpoint?

We don’t have a streamlined communication process; anyone on our team can contact General Networks’ helpdesk at any time for any reason. Despite the lack of structure, their team manages our service requests well. Their response time is quick, and they document every interaction for our records.

General Networks has all of the resources that we need to run our business efficiently, and they’re highly responsive. We couldn’t have asked for a better partner.

Although we believe that there’s always room for improvement, we haven’t experienced any red flags that would warrant immediate changes.