Experience Design Consulting

FoxGroove specializes in crafting highly usable and compelling digital solutions that drive business success.  We provide User Experience Design services to digital agencies and direct clients.

Newtown, PA
  • 2014 Leedoms Drive
    Newtown, PA 18940

Top tier digital agencies and fortune 1000 companies.

UI/UX Design for Election Products Company

“Nobody's perfect, but they’re as close as you can get. It’s just fantastic to work with them.”

May 2018 - Ongoing

FoxGroove Interactive provides ongoing UI/UX design services for a pipeline of election-related products, including a petitions processing product. They build wireframes, showing functionality and layout.

Phoenix, Arizona
David Siegel
VP of Software Dev, Runbeck Election Services

While not yet live, the new web-based petitions product has received positive feedback from user acceptance testing. Creativity and innovation are hallmarks of their work. FoxGroove Interactive's deep design knowledge helps them meet or beat deadlines and respond quickly to any inquiries that arise.

I'm the VP of software development for Runbeck Election Services. We produce a combination of software and hardware products for the election industry, as well as provide services such as ballot printing and mailing.

What challenge were you trying to address with FoxGroove Interactive?

When I joined the company about a year ago, one of the first things I realized was that our products didn’t have good UI/UX design. They were disjointed and didn’t have good flow. There was no usability designed into the products. I needed external assistance in creating a line of products that deliver an improved user experience.

FoxGroove Interactive started off with an introductory conversation. I showed them our products, and we talked about what I was trying to accomplish. After providing them with a demo and some documentation, they put together a statement of work that outlined a plan to create products with the flow we envisioned.

For each product, they do a usability analysis to determine a solution that would work best. Then, they use that information to design wireframes that illustrate both layout and functionality. My team gives feedback on what does and doesn’t work, and they make necessary modifications. We follow this iterative process until each wireframe matches our vision.

The first product they worked on is for petition processing. The interface originally resembled a client-server model, but FoxGroove converted it to look more like the frontend of a website. They've since moved to the next product in our pipeline.

We primarily work with David (Principal, FoxGroove Interactive) and Peter (UX Architect, FoxGroove Interactive).

How did you come to work with FoxGroove Interactive?

They were a referral. I reached out to a former colleague who was responsible for UI/UX, and he put me in touch with David.

I don't know the exact figure because we've done multiple projects. It's probably in the $100,000–$140,000 range. They work with us quite effectively on ways to stay within our budget.

Work started around May 2018, and the engagement is ongoing.

It's been extremely successful thus far. Our products wouldn’t be as successful as they are today without FoxGroove Interactive.

The petition processing product is going live at the end of this month. We’ve designed the entire look and feel of the product based on their input. It’s gone through user acceptance testing and received positive results from customers. When we compare what it used to look like to what it is today, everyone is blown away by the improvement.

In addition, David and Peter regularly generate ideas that we’d never come up with ourselves. Their creativity and innovation results in better layouts and functionality. Now, we have a really cool wireframe that’s totally different but completely meets our needs.

How did FoxGroove Interactive perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is excellent. They meet every deadline—even if it means working extra hours because we added a key deliverable late in the process. I can't think of a single timeline or deliverable they’ve missed. They work very well with an agile methodology. When they've had to redesign wireframes, it’s usually because we didn't give clear requirements on what we were trying to achieve.

The frequency of communication does vary, but it’s almost always weekly—sometimes more frequently during the design phase. At a bare minimum, they’d come back with different wireframes and flows once a week. FoxGroove Interactive responds extremely fast to our feedback and suggested changes. We’ll usually receive a revised version within a day or two.

FoxGroove Interactive has a deep knowledge of design principles and patterns. That enables them to offer innovative solutions that we’d never think of ourselves. Their level of professionalism and ability to hit the deadlines are also fantastic.

I always have areas for improvement, yet I'm struggling to come up with anything. I can't think of anything they can do better or that should be done differently. Nobody's perfect, but they’re as close as you can get. It’s just fantastic to work with them.

Have a detailed conversation upfront about your goals and what they're trying to achieve, but don’t box them in. If you tell them exactly how you wanted your solution to be designed, you're taking away some of the creativity that they can provide.

Overall Score It's been nothing but success.
    They hit every deadline and deliverable, either on time or early.
    The value we get is great, but I always want to drive cost down.
    The quality of what they deliver is always excellent.
    I’d absolutely refer them to anybody and everybody.

UI/UX Strategy for E-Commerce Dev Startup

“I am very satisfied with the technical capabilities as well as the end deliverable.”

Jan. 2018

FoxGroove Interactive provided a user experience evaluation for a technology startup, providing solution options for certain areas that are to be implemented into future iterations.

Chris Miller
CTO, Poln

The evaluation took less than 2 weeks, with FoxGroove conducting the required interviews and providing their recommendations very quickly. The service was excellent and they took the time to fully understand the business objectives before undertaking the project.

I am the CTO [chief technology officer] of Poln. We’re a startup based in New York City. Our primary product is a plug-in for the Shopify e-commerce platform. We provide Shopify store owners with automated Facebook campaign capabilities.

Through the plug-in, we connect to Facebook and some other ad platforms and generate accounts for them, manage their product catalogue and create a simple interface for them to submit campaigns. Through some business intelligence and automated processes we have, we then operate with the Facebook API to generate campaigns for them based on the information we have gathered from their store.

What challenge were you trying to address with FoxGroove Interactive?

We were in search of a UX [user experience] resource that could come in and help us do an evaluation.

One of our goals for 2018 is to improve our client’s onboarding process, and we realized that there were probably some UX issues that were standing in the way of clients installing and following through on the entire install process and then continuing to use the app.

They typically work on much larger projects, and to get their expertise and to engage with them at the level I needed to engage with them, as well as with the budget I had, I didn’t expect a lot other than a quick evaluation and to get familiar with the product so that in the future it would be easier to bring them in for smaller chunks of time if we needed them.

They gave us some different remediation options for certain areas, and we are integrating those into the roadmap for the immediate future. We didn’t have a lot of time on this project as it was around 40 hours of work, but I hope to use them more in the future.

We worked with Dave DeBonis [CEO, FoxGroove Interactive].

How did you come to work with FoxGroove Interactive?

I have worked with Dave in the past and have a good relationship with him. I pulled him in on this project based on that.

The total was around $5,000.

We worked on the project in January 2018.

As I had worked with Dave in the past, I knew exactly what I was getting which is why I reached out to him. It is always a challenge with UX for business owners and stakeholders understanding the need to spend the money on UX.

It was a bit of a challenge to convince Dave that it was worth it to do the heuristic evaluation, but in my role as CTO, I knew that I needed to have the evaluation done so that I can do what I needed to do. I think it was worth it, and I am very satisfied with the technical capabilities as well as the end deliverable.

How did FoxGroove Interactive perform from a project management standpoint?

I called him and asked him if he had some availability. Two days later he was on the phone conducting interviews with people, and then he came up to the office to give his final presentation. Everything happened within the course of one and a half weeks.

I like that Dave takes the time to really understand the business objectives, the goals that we have, and to ultimately provide UX guidance in such a way that it translates a path of least resistance for our users to get where we want them to be.

We had no issues at all.

Outsourced UX Design Projects for Independent Creative Agency

"They’re very thorough and constantly conceive ways to add value."

June 2016 - Ongoing

FoxGroove does UX design, usability testing, and heuristics analysis for mobile and web applications. Additional services range from conceptualization to offline and digital QA.

Somerville, New Jersey
Trista Walker
President, BNO

Detail-oriented development consistently exceeds expectations and also generates new growth opportunities. Although rates are not cheap, efforts to meet deadlines and enhance designs maximize value for cost. Expect an enthusiastic approach that offers a variety of recommendations and solutions.

I’m president of BNO, which is a creative agency with many major corporate clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with FoxGroove?

They are our exclusive UX design partner for client projects because we do not have enough relevant work to justify an in-house team. They supplement our internal resources as needed.

While they offer additional services, we only engage them for UX design, heuristic analysis and usability testing. Their works includes both mobile and web-based applications. Recently, they did a digital property usability analysis for international education institutions.

An 8-minute end-to-end credit card processing system was among the most complex tools they’ve developed. Dave, the owner, designed the system to take payments via smart watches or chip cards; it also helps companies set up underwriting.

Since we use them on a client-by-client basis, we pay both retainers or hourly rates. Occasionally, Dave collaborates with us on pitches to prospective clients. He’ll upsell his company’s services, such as additional usability testing, to help land the account.

The team also developed a proprietary digital heuristic analysis system with their own IP. It rates, ranks, and categorizes different consumer digital experience functions across multiple devices and languages. They delivered it for us to pitch to major brands.

We've worked with 4 different employees, including Dave. He scales each project with his own team and can bring in additional talent when necessary.

How did you come to work with FoxGroove?

and I have known each other for 20 years. We used to work at the same agency and I’ve used his services at subsequent companies.

Work with BNO started in 2016 and is ongoing.

The client that Dave designed the credit card tool for came back to us after another company acquired them. They explained that Dave’s design made them more attractive to the buyer. This one case exemplifies why we put Dave in front of our clients. He exudes credibility. I can absolutely count on him.

How did FoxGroove perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ll work nights and weekends to make deadlines. For one client, we worked over Fourth of July at the end of an 8-week engagement to complete a 40-page clickable prototype.

But they’ll be honest when requests are unreasonable. In those cases, Dave will suggest an alternative solution to keep the project on schedule.

They’re very thorough and constantly conceive ways to add value. I always feel I’m getting more than I paid for when working with them.

For example, Patrick, one of Dave’s developers, called the customer service line for a device they developed. He had a representative troubleshoot a scenario, which ensured that the offline customer experience matched the excellent digital one. Patrick’s foresight and dedication were very impressive because offline experience exceeded the scope of UX design.

While they’re extremely passionate and scientific in approach, they should dial it back more when the client does not have the resources or desire to execute everything they recommend.

I can't think of one deadline they've missed. no matter how impossible.
    I wish they were less expensive but they're totally worth it.
    Absolutely. I wouldn't hesitate.

Web Redesign Outsourcing for Digital Marketing Agency

"As a selected and trusted partner, [Foxgroove’s] abilities and expertise immediately came to mind when this position opened."

Feb. - Dec. 2016

Tasked with a major client’s extensive internet portal redesign, a digital marketing company faced a staffing shortage. Foxgroove’s supplemental experts extended the team to provided user experience resources.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Account Manager, Digital Marketing Agency

After a thorough and full audit, the team took audience segments into account to create specifically user-tailored content. The backend development was sophisticated and complex, and the frontend necessitated extensive data compilation. Diligent work manifested in high-quality deliverables.

I am a senior account manager at a digital marketing agency in Philadelphia. As a digital marketing company, we specialize in the life sciences verticals. I act as a liaison between my agency, my internal team, and our clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with Foxgroove Interactive?

A major pharmaceutical client’s outdated, ineffective internet portal was hampering efficiency. Like most businesses, this portal on their websites supports employees in their daily work. Functions might include selecting benefits, mapping employee seating charts, or providing general (or more private) company information.

We were tasked with an extensive redesign, and needed to staff accordingly. Foxgroove’s supplemental experts extended our team, and provided similar user experience resources.

We took a full audit of everything topical to this project on the Internet, and developed a redesign approach with the client. Taking the audience segments and user needs into account, we created wireframe and new design. The content was specifically tailored to the user. As a global company, our client has countless employees and a variety of user types. The backend development was sophisticated and complex. The frontend, while not very user-friendly, necessitated extensive work to compile all the data.

I worked with several user experience experts from Dave Debonis’s team. Everyone is such a delight to work with, and we’ve had a lot of laughs. Not only are they experts, they also made my day a little bit more fun.

How did you come to work with Foxgroove Interactive?

As a selected and trusted partner, their abilities and expertise immediately came to mind when this position opened. We have had a longstanding relationship with their CEO that predates my 4-year tenure. This project gave me the pleasure of finally working with them.

While I can’t share exact figures, we stayed on scope. We estimated an appropriate budget, and were able to pace accordingly.

The project lasted between February and December of 2016.

We've seen overall satisfaction with not only the client, but also the internal team. The solution is functional, without any major defects or bugs.

How Foxgroove Interactive perform from a project management standpoint?

We experienced very few problems. They met the deadlines we'd set out, and communicated well with our team. We used a couple collaboration and project management tools.

Their ability to get to the crux of the situation makes them stand out from other vendors. From the beginning, they commit to the due diligence and requisite work to create strong deliverables. We built on the foundation of a thorough audit, which informed our recommendations. It makes everyone's job easier when the results are high-quality. Their flexibility and adaptation made for a very successful partnership.

Each client and situation will have unique needs. Although they were nimble and flexible, that’s something that can always be improved.