The best mobile and web apps in Chicago

Gold

Eight Bit Studios creates award-winning apps and memorable client experiences. Because every bit counts. We’re a smart, energetic crew of tech experts from the midwest. Our team rocks at UX, UI, Development, Testing, and Project Management.

Your vision becomes our passion. We’ve partnered with billion-dollar enterprises to self-funded startups. We are insanely curious, aim to solve pain points, and strive to leave things better than we find them. Let’s bring your app to life!

2008
Chicago, IL
  • 350 W Erie St, #300
    Chicago, IL 60654

Some of the passionate groups with which we’ve worked:

Echo Global Logistics, UL, New Balance, Trident, Hasbro, GrowIt, LyteShot

EchoDrive

Put your communication and load management on cruise control with EchoDrive.

GrowIt!

The fastest growing mobile gardening platform in the USA.

Leanr

Achieve healthier results by combining quantitative fitness data with qualitative feedback.

Financial Services Platform Development

"[Eight Bit Studios] had the right set of services to work through our process and build a website."

2011 - Ongoing

Eight Bit Studios designed and developed an online platform that connects users with investment advisors. They continue to maintain the platform for the client.

CEO/Co-Founder, Online Financial Platform

Eight Bit Studios offered the right services to give the client exactly what they needed and were truly engaged with the project. The client notes that Eight Bit Studios was also extremely flexible, easily scaling up or down when necessary.

Please describe your organization. What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the co-founder and CEO of an online platform that specializes in connecting individuals, families, and small institutional investors with independent investment advisors.

What was your goal for working with Eight Bit Studios?

We partnered with Eight Bit Studios to develop our online platform, prior to sending it to market.

Eight Bit Studios initially designed and developed the platform. They are still responsible for maintaining the platform.

What was your process for selecting Eight Bit Studios with which to work?

We reached out to several online platform developers. After the initial outreach process, Eight Bit Studios seemed like the right fit for our project. The Eight Bit Studios team was very open, and they seemed to understand our concept and our service. It was fun to work with them. They had the right set of services to work through our process and build a website. That’s why we hired them.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative in dollar terms or a personnel work-hour figure?

The size of the project was in the $50,000 to $200,000 range.

When was the work completed?

We originally partnered with Eight Bit Studios in 2011. The platform is live now, and they maintain it. So, the project is ongoing.

Are you satisfied with their performance? Is there anything unique or special about Eight Bit Studios that really makes them stand out compared to other business partners?

We are very satisfied with their performance. They are very flexible. They are terrific to work with, and they’re great with scaling up or down as necessary.

Eight Bit Studios primarily focuses on making apps – more socially focused websites – unlike the platform they created for us. So, I’m not the perfect person to speak to that because we’re not the typical clients. However, overall, they did a great job.

I would highly recommend Eight Bit Studios to anyone looking to create an app.

Front-end Development for Educational Web Application

"[Eight Bit Studios] do a very good job, and they’re easy to work with."

Eight Bit Studios designed the front end for a learning app, with the intention of creating a more intuitive, user-friendly, and aesthetically professional user experience.

Andrew Howard
Co-Founder and President, Wowzers

Eight Bit Studios partnered effectively with the client’s backend team, producing a user-experience to meet all of their expectations. The client is extremely satisfied with the design and has received a great deal of positive feedback.

Please give a brief description of your company and your role.

We are Wowzers. We create math software for schools. I’m the president.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you approached Eight Bit Studios?

We have a team that develops on the backend, and we were looking for a partner to help us with development on the front end, for design as well as getting elements ready for a Web programmer to work directly with.

Can you go into a little bit of detail about the scope of the project?

Our application is a tool that allows teachers to find content that students can use and then see how they perform. We developed the student content: The lessons and tests. We also developed a backend system that delivers those to students that kind of deals with the nuts and bolts of authentication and so forth. When kids log in, the teachers can keep track, and they see how they’re doing.

We wanted to update that application to be able to be more intuitive and user friendly and additionally have some more professional-looking design elements. Eight Bit helped us brainstorm some changes to the user interface and then gave us code ready for an end design to plug into our existing backend.

What was your process for selecting Eight Bit Studios to work with in the first place?

We put out an RFP [request for proposal] and sent it out to a bunch of design studios. We got some proposals back. We liked how they responded particularly with regard to being able to provide us with the front-end design and partnered effectively like they were internal team members with our backend team.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative either in dollar cost range or personnel work hour estimate?

Around $50,000.

When was the project completed?

It’s still ongoing. It’s sort of an agile project for the time being, and we’ll probably continue to be working with them for another few months.

In terms of the results of the project, is there any feedback or metrics you can share?

I don’t have any specific metrics.

Have you gotten any positive feedback from end users of the product as a result of Eight Bit Studios' work?

Yes. Many.

How would you describe Eight Bit Studios’ performance?

I think they do a very good job, and they’re easy to work with.

Is there any area that you think that they could improve on or that you would do differently?

Website & Application Development for Social Media Startup

"That’s a huge differentiator for [Eight Bit Studios]: A very happy and productive work environment with very smart people."

Eight Bit Studios developed a Ruby Rails website from the client’s initial concept and later built an app for the iOS platform.

Jim Sayegh
CEO, Glossre

Eight Bit Studios inspired a great deal of confidence from the client from their first contact and has since proven that confidence to be well-deserved with their expertise, responsiveness, and creativity.

Could you give a brief description of your company and your role?

I am the founder and CEO of a real estate social media site called Glossre. Glossre allows you to create a profile of a given space like your home and then share aspects of that with your friends.

When you approached Eight Bit Studios, what was the business challenge that you were trying to address?

I’m a non-technical founder. They literally built my MVP off of a PowerPoint presentation. It was from the ground up, making my concept a Ruby on Rails site. Separately, we built an app only for iOS, which is in the iTunes store.

Did you have any specific business goals for the project?

First of all: Staying on budget. Second of all: Staying relatively on time, which is really more client driven than contractor driven. Obviously, the end product being something that would allow me to have proof of concepts and raise additional funds, that was something super-early stage.

How long has the project taken?

This has chapters. I would say their involvement was intensely involved for a year and a few months, and in a more as needed contract basis for the last year or so. The whole thing is a little more than two years.

When was it launched?

We did a closed data. The first time we did that was in November of 2013. Basically, when you go to Glossre.com, you can request an invite. From there, we let certain people in and allow them to use it. We do deploys and continue that. The closed data has been out there since November of 2013. It’s not a technological issue, more of a business-development manner when we decide to completely pull the veil off of it and start spending money on development marketing.

What was your process for selecting Eight Bit Studios to work with initially?

We knew we wanted to build it in Rails. We didn’t have a geographic bias. We interviewed five firms. Eight Bit inspired the most confidence. Part of it is a creative process. You need people that you feel are above reproach. I think they have the technical aptitude to do it.

From there, it’s also what kind of environment they have. Do they have a creative environment? Are they going to foster the best ideas? Any good designer is going to know when to listen and give a client the ability to tell them what they want, make them feel that they’re designing it themselves; but also want to check themselves and inject best practices, make sure you’re building something that doesn’t fall down. That was kind of my sense going into it. They were by far the most capable firm in that regard. We felt that they were going to be a good thought partner, which they proved to be.

Can you give us a sense of the size of the initiative?

I think for our initial contract, it was maybe $110,000. In time, it was another $40,000. So, around $150,000.

What were the results of the project? Are there any metrics or feedback that you can share that indicate the effectiveness of Eight Bit Studios’ work?

I had initially raised $200,000 [before working with Eight Bit Studios]. When my investors, some existing and some new, saw the product when it was built, I raised another $550,000. As much as I’d like to talk about other benchmarks, ultimately that’s the existential benchmark. It was met. I more than doubled, almost tripled, my funding.

How would you describe their performance?

I think they’re excellent. I would love to have another experience where I’m a huge company, and I have an initiative, and I’m plugging them in. I think that’s a lot of their work. I’m very happy with everything they brought to the table in order to achieve what they achieved which means great listening, great implementation, great thought partners, and a very creative and comfortable environment. I just believed they had my back, which for an early stage company, these are all big deals, I think. I’d give them flying colors here.

Looking back on the project, is there any area that you think that they could improve upon or that you would do differently?

There’s nothing I could point at them.

Is there anything unique or special about them compared to other companies that you may have worked with?

I just have to say that there was not a weak link in the chain. All the people, all of them were super talented and super professional. It’s amazing to find a group of guys that takes their work so seriously but don’t take themselves seriously. It’s a huge gift to be so good at something and be so light about it. They’re so engaged in making a client feel good. That’s what really gets a good product done. You’ve got to have a high amount of client engagement in terms of getting them comfortable and them creative. It’s a group of people that again are super functional people, fun to be around, and capable of having a fun, light environment while doing very serious work and working long hours to get it done. That’s a huge differentiator for them: A very happy and productive work environment with very smart people.

They’ve done a lot of referral work for me

Educational Gaming App for Museum

“[I]f you want a really sophisticated approach ... you should talk to Eight Bit."

Eight Bit Studios developed an educational gaming app for the iOS platform, intended to facilitate new means of communication with the client’s patrons.

Chicago, IL
Joe Brennan
Former CIO & General Counsel, Field Museum

Eight Bit Studios work produced an app that was both aesthetically pleasing and highly functional, and it has been very positively received. The client feels that Eight Bit Studios far exceeded their expectations.

Could you give a brief description of your company?

At the time that I was doing business with Eight Bit, I was working at the Field Museum of Natural History, which is a large nonprofit natural history museum.

What was your role at the Field Museum?

I was CIO and general counsel.

As part of a larger program of trying to conceptualize new ways of interaction with the public around scientific content, we conceptualized a game that we wanted to develop on iOS. The game was like a Pokemon-style card game, but featuring artifacts from our collection, and then funnels of information that we could put in there about them. We approached Eight Bit about what was ultimately not just the frontend development necessary to make this game look good, but actually the development of all the mechanics of making it actually work. It was a long project. It took us longer than we thought it would to deploy our content to Eight Bit, but Eight Bit did a fantastic job.

Were there any specific goals that you were trying to achieve?

Our set of goals was to test ourselves internally, to experiment with a new way of communicating, and actually to learn about what it would take to bring an application like that to the world. We had a fair amount of success; I don’t know what the final numbers were in terms of downloads and utilization, but the reception on that application was very positive. We even got some news coverage the morning after it rolled out. It was a good thing.

Why did you choose to work with Eight Bit Studios to begin with?

We were trying to find a company that was willing to bring the kind of resources we needed. We knew we’d need a couple of diverse skill sets in terms of development. We also needed somebody who was enthusiastic about the subject matter. We talked to several companies but we chose Eight Bit for those reasons.

Can you talk a little bit more specifically about the scope of the project?

We chose the artifacts. We developed the images. We sort of provided the text and Eight Bit really did everything else from the game mechanics and animations to the concept to front end development to support it, rolling out updates. They did the comprehensive hard work.

How long did the project take?

I think three months all in.

When was this project completed?

A couple of years ago [in 2012].

Can you give us a sense of the size of the initiative in dollar terms or a personnel work-hour estimate?

We spent more than $100,000.

How would you describe their performance?

Excellent. I thought the core group of people that we worked with there were extremely strong technologists. When I make recommendations, I always recommend them on the basis of [that] there are a lot of small shops that want to do frontend work in Chicago, but if you want a sophisticated approach to it, you should talk to Eight Bit.

Was there anything unique or special about them compared to other companies that you may have worked with?

The best thing that they did was bring to the project not just a willingness to implement what we thought should happen, but to really think the whole project through and how the games should play. Their investment of thought leadership in the whole thing really made the project sing where it could have just been okay; it came to be very good.

Looking back on the project, is there any area that you think Eight Bit could improve upon or that you would do differently?

No. They did a great job.

I do it all the time.