Your Creative Technology Agency

Our motivation is our passion for design, technology and the human experience, melding the three to shape our futures, enabling us to achieve what was once deemed beyond reach.

We started with mobile in 2006. Today we are a creative technology agency, whose services include business analysis; interaction, interface and product design; web, mobile and embedded development.

2006
Cleveland, OH
  • 1840 W 28th St. Lower Level
    Cleveland, OH 44113

American Greetings, The Cleveland Clinic, Goodyear, Moen, Vitamix, Parker, Bosch, Hinkley Lighting, Akron Public Schools

50-plus Websites Built for Public School System

"They keep their composure in difficult situations and handle things with such dignity."

DXY Solutions developed the district's new central website and websites of the 52 schools. They standardized the educational sites across the school system and provided ease in the accessibility of information.

Akron, Ohio
Mark Williamson
Chief Communications Officer, Akron County Public Schools

The new websites are simple to use and updated, and the people involved in the school system have given positive feedback about them. DXY Solutions has been responsive to fixing any issues that come up, and they handle every situation with professionalism.

We’re a public school system of 22,000 kids, 52 school buildings, and 4,000 employees.

What is your role in the organization?

I’m the chief communications officer.

What was the challenge you were trying to address when you began working with DXY Solutions?

I just started here a year and a half ago, and one of the first things I did was to start working on getting a new website. I wanted to outsource all the design and development for the sites because I’m a one-person office and don’t have the internal resources.

DXY designed the website for the whole district, and then they designed one for each school, which was amazing. So, it was 52 websites for the individual schools, and then a giant one for the whole district. They transferred the relevant content from our old websites to the new ones.

What was your process for selecting DXY Solutions with which to work?

Somebody that I had contracted with to do some marketing work recommended them. I looked at their work for the Cleveland Clinic, and for some other really big organizations, especially ones that have privacy issues like hospitals. We have kids, and, while hospitals have HIPAA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act], we have something called FERPA [Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act], which is privacy protection for youth. I wanted someone who understands all of those issues because it gets complicated. It’s good to work with someone who understands the rules and regulations of different types of organizations.

Can you provide a cost range or work-hour figure for the size of the work?

The cost so far is more than $200,000. It’s been a little more than a year, and it’s still ongoing. We had 12,000 pages on our previous website, so we have to move a lot of that. As you go on, you keep encountering things because there are so many websites and each school has unique issues. So, the relationship is probably going to go on for a while.

What were the results of the work?

With as many employees as we have, and citizens who freely tell you when they dislike something since we went online in February the number of people that have complained about the websites is probably in the single digits, which is truly incredible.

The previous website we had was awful, it was so bad that our own employees started setting up their own websites, rogue websites that were not authorized. Employees couldn’t work with the official websites. They couldn’t add content because the format and platform were too difficult to use. So, people started designing their own. When you have a brand, and you want everything to look the same, so that’s not a good thing.

The new website is as easy to use as Facebook. You can post things about your school, your kids, your parents, and the PTA [Parent-Teacher Association]. All I hear from people is that this site is so great, and this one is so nice compared to the old site. Now, we have people actually using the website, and if they have an issue and tell us, the tech support from DXY is so good that we just forward the email to them and they fix it. It’s great. I never have to get my hands dirty.

I think they’re really good. They’ve done an extraordinary job with an extraordinarily difficult website. The old website was such a train wreck that part of what DXY had to do was come in and figure it out first, and untie a lot of knots to make the new one actually work and function. They needed to find ways to migrate all the information to the new website, and it was very complicated.

We have a lot of different people who each have their own needs for the site. We have parents, kids, teachers and staff members, administrators, and a board, and you’re trying to do something that’s going to make everybody happy. For the work that DXY has done on theses websites, I don’t hear anybody saying anything about it other than, “wow, I really like this.” They have really good design people there. In terms of the look of it, the functionality, and the intuitive design, it’s very good. After working with a site that was really cumbersome, we really appreciate that they made this one really simple and user friendly.

Is there anything unique about them that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

I like these guys, they’re really creative and professional. They keep their composure in difficult situations and handle things with such dignity. That really impressed me. They’re great people, I love working with them.

I’m happy with what they’ve done. I don’t think there’s anything worth mentioning. They sometimes get swamped with other projects because they’re growing, and they’re the victim of their own success. They’re so good that suddenly everybody wants them, and then they’ve got to juggle and figure out how to get everything done with turning anybody away. I understand that.

Overall Score The owner of the company, Dan, wasn’t on the project as much as I had hoped...The company is expanding geographically, and I understand that...But, I think that his letting go of some things made a difference.
    We caused a lot of the delay ourselves. There were complications we created that account for some of the deadline problems. But, sometimes, I think they got busy with other clients.
    Their original estimate was based on the first phase of the project, and then there was a second phase that they didn’t really do an estimate on...they explained to me it was because they had to design 53 websites which is a lot...
    If it was the right fit.

Mobile Application for Medical Device

"We’re rapidly developing this product as we push toward release, and they’ve been very adaptable."

DXY Solutions improvised the current mobile application with regard to appearance, usability, and functions needed to accommodate its patients.

Principal R&D Engineer

The distribution of the app through test programs has started, and patients have had the opportunity to interact with it. The app when ready for sale will be made available in the app store. The people behind DXY Solutions were very capable and understanding of the client's needs.

Please describe your company.

Our business unit is concerned with the development of medical devices that promote human mobility and rehabilitation. These devices are highly configurable, both externally and internally. For instance, externally, we can accommodate fit for a wide variety of individuals by providing modular components in a variety of sizes. Internally, we can further accommodate those individuals by providing settings that allow for differing levels of injury or ability. That’s where the need for the development of an app comes into play. We need to allow clinicians, and eventually users within their own home, to be able to tap into this device and change how it behaves in order to provide optimal benefit.

What is your role at the company?

I am a principal R&D [research & development] engineer, with a background in mechanical engineering and electromechanical devices. I program the firmware that dictates how our mobility devices behave given certain user inputs. As part of this, I also manage our application development.

Can you describe a little more about what type of application this was, and the goals that you had for that work?

The app was built in the iOS platform and functions primarily as a settings interface. It is also where real-time data and usage information is recorded. For instance, when a patient goes to physical therapy to use one of our devices, the clinician can use the app to rapidly configure the device to suit that specific patient’s needs. These settings are transmitted wirelessly to the device using Bluetooth, and stored for future use. This means that the clinician can spend more time actually using the device, as opposed to setting it up, can easily work with several patients as each patient’s settings are stored, and can modify settings easily in the future as the settings are transmitted wirelessly. The app also presents information regarding device status, such as battery level and mode, and use, such as distance and duration, to inform therapy and indicate device utility.

Please describe the scope of DXY Solutions’s involvement in the project.

Our initial app development actually involved another company that was unable to produce the results we were looking for. As consequence, DXY inherited an app with very little substance. While we had a broad idea of what we needed, DXY has helped us to refine this vision, and have updated the app significantly with regard to appearance, usability, and function. They have also been extremely flexible in adapting to rapidly evolving needs. For instance, when we use this device in the clinics, physical therapists will often say, "I want this to work this way," or "I want this setting changed," and DXY has really been there with us in terms of responding. The app has had to develop along with the device, and DXY has greatly facilitated that.

What was your process for selecting DXY Solutions with which to work?

A primary driver was that we wanted to work with someone close by. Not only because it facilitates ongoing, rapid development, but because our CEO wants to build up, support, and collaborate with local businesses. So, the fact that they had an office reasonably close by was a big attractor, but there were several other differentiators as well. For instance, DXY had collaborated with both academic and medical institutions for the development of applications in that past. This was important to us because we interact with academic and medical institutions regularly, and we wanted a developer that would understand these needs. They had also done applications involving Bluetooth wireless communication, which is something we leverage quite a bit in our app. Upon considering all of these factors, the choice was clear.

What are the results of the work?

We’ve been distributing the app through test programs. So, it’s been in the clinics, and physical therapists and patients have had the opportunity to interact with it. When the medical device is made available for sale, the app will be available in the App Store. The estimated date of completion is probably the beginning of next year.

How would you describe the company’s performance?

We’ve been very pleased with DXY’s fluidity. We’re rapidly developing this product as we push toward release, and they’ve been very adaptable. It’s been kind of a collaboration. Often, we’ll outline the need for certain chunks of functionality, but they will help guide the final realization of that. Their personnel are very capable and understanding of our needs as a client. Finally, their willingness to meet face to face,  pick up the phone, or respond to a last-minute change is something that I’ve really appreciated.

When I took on the management of this project, it was during a transition from a prior developer to DXY, so my experience with other development companies is limited. However, there are several factors, which I do believe are unique to DXY. For instance, they are very in tune with the local business and tech scene and host a series of regular talks to raise awareness for technology in the area. I think fostering such discussion and interaction is admirable and speaks to the quality of their mission. They also hire high-caliber people. The last DXY developer we worked with was a Stanford graduate with previous work experience at Microsoft. He knows what he’s doing. While that person has moved on to another organization, our new developer has a strong background in electronics and robotics, and I think that’s probably pretty unique, too. I don’t know if there are many app developers that go beyond the software level to where they’re dealing with firmware and the mechanical systems associated with them. For us, the ability to interface with and understand the mechanical system that the app is controlling is a big deal.