Creating the mobile future.

MOBILE EXPERTISE: If you can dream it, we can build it. Intelligent apps require brilliant design and intuitive product strategy.

We analyze and design every aspect of your project to ensure that its engaging, stylish, and easy to use.

• mHealth: we empower people to live longer, happier, and healthier lives via mobile health apps. Our team of health tech experts create custom first responder tools, connected health devices for remote monitoring, caregiver support tools for outpatient services, and innovative ways to deliver emergency medical care.
  • Internet of Things: home automation tools, smart BLE connected devices.
  • FinTech: mobile banking, P2P payments, mobile commerce, data visualization and market intelligence.
  • EdTech: learning systems, gradebooks, educator empowerment tools.
  • Social media: photo and video, messaging, chat engines.
  • Geolocation + mapping: on-demand services, points of interest, turn by turn directions.

Contact Us for a free project consultation.

Coding Specialities: iPhone App Development, iPad Apps, NodeJS, Internet of Things (IoT), Connected Devices (BLE), User Experience (UX), User Interface Design (UI), API Development, Android App Development.

Venice Beach, CA
  • Dogtown Media Venice Beach, CA 90291
    888.205.1061
  • Dogtown Media
    899 Pine St
    San Francisco, CA 94109
    888.205.1061

100+ mobile products launched for startups and Fortune 500's!

• Google
  • Oxford Immunotec
  • The University of Oklahoma
  • Fayr

United Nations ESCAP iPhone App

Dogtown Media works closely with international institutions like the United Nations to deliver mobile solutions to a global userbase. The ESCAP iPhone app was designed, coded, and deployed for the UN's Asia bureau.

The iPhone app enables UN officials to quickly communicate with stakeholders via a live news feed. The mobile app also displays UN sponsored events across 5 continents as well as internationally observed and local holidays.

A content management system and custom API was also developed to allow the system admins to send emergency notification alerts to app users during natural disasters or crisis scenarios.

UI/UX Mobile App Design for Military Gear Manufacturer

"Their work exceeded my expectations and was much less expensive than I anticipated."

May 2017 - Ongoing

Dogtown is developing an Android app optimized for Galaxy S5 and Note 5 devices that improves Share Pack experience. Services include wireframe and design, end-user testing, and UI/UX enhancements.

Montreal, Canada
Parker Donaldson
Product Manager, Revision Military

Intuitive and aesthetically pleasing designs advance brand identity and messaging. The responsive design team outperforms expectations at an economical price point and project management has kept the project on track for future launch.

I’m project manager at Revision Military, which manufactures protective gear for military and law enforcement. Our products include: ballistic helmets, eyewear, face shields, communication headsets, and mandible guards. My responsibilities include marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

The intent was to create an app that soldiers could use to configure their Nerv Centr SharePack lithium-ion battery and power management system. The SharePack has a built-in LCD screen and buttons to configure settings. We wanted to leverage the screen size of the end-user device and allow full functionality and configuration of the battery through mobile phone or tablet.

Initial wireframes focused on the app’s interactive concept. The team subsequently built a rudimentary version that they tested on military end users from the National Guard. They asked the soldiers pertinent questions and derived critical insights that resulted in significant developments and UI/UX improvements.

The team’s UI/UX work also maintained our brand identity and messaging. They developed the app for Android and optimized it for Galaxy S5 and Note 5 devices. However, the app will have springs to make it compatible with other Android devices.

The project moved from functionality to design with consultations on the font, font size, coloring, and styling. The team continues to improve iterability as we make these aesthetic decisions.

They’ve had two project managers, three designers, and one lead creative with some turnover since engagement began. A project manager left for personal reasons and a new designer recently on-boarded to assist the lead designer. The current project manager is our main point of contact.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

My predecessor hired them. Initially, he searched for firms in the Boston area and the East Coast. I believe he was referred and found their competitive pricing and track record appealing. I started at Revision Military about six weeks into the project.

We’ve spent $45,000.

Work started in May 2017 and is ongoing.

They created an intuitive and aesthetically pleasing design that matches our brand identity, which we pride on being strong and recognizable. Their work exceeded my expectations and was much less expensive than I anticipated.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

I communicated directly with the designers in early summer 2017, but have interacted with Lauren [Project Manager, Dogtown Media] exclusively since August. Limiting communication to the project manager works better. We use Slack for group chats, Zoom for meetings, and JIRA for ticket items.

A deliverable during the design phase was delayed by about a week and a half, but it didn’t matter in the end because we ran into different issues that bottlenecked the project elsewhere. But they have been responsive throughout, especially in regrouping to avoid other delays.

We work on opposite coasts, but I get immediate responses whenever I reach out. The time difference doesn’t impede progress.

It’s hard to make a meaningful comparison because I’ve never worked with this kind of provider before. But their enthusiasm comes through in person, over the phone, and in Zoom meetings.

Implement weekly or biweekly sync meetings early in the engagement. Relatedly, design meetings easily run over time. It’s important to set time constraints on those discussions.

The project leader needs to impose and reiterate deadlines.
    Great value and service for cost.
    They provided an intuitive and aesthetically pleasing design.
    We intend to use their services again in the future.

Mobile App Prototype for Caregiving Platform

"They’ve patiently walked me through every step of this process, assisting me in whatever way they can."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Dogtown is developing a mobile app prototype, while also providing marketing strategies in preparation for investment pitching. They will continue their partnership through the final development stages.

San Diego, California
Founder, Caregiver App

Dogtown has remained invested in every aspect of the project, displaying the utmost respect for their client’s vision and producing an impressive prototype that meets all expectations. They are extremely responsive, personable and persistent in their efforts.

I’m the creator of a mobile application that assists veteran caregivers in managing their responsibilities within that role.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

I needed a company that would not only develop my app but would also guide me through the steps of bringing my idea to fruition.

I presented my app storyboard to Marc Feder [Director of Business Development, Dogtown Media], who acquainted me with the process of getting my app developed. He came up with a proposal and gave me an estimate of what it would cost to develop a prototype. I then spent about nine months fundraising to cover the cost. Marc was very present during this time, continuing to touch base with me via email and phone to see how my efforts were coming along and making suggestions to further assist me in fundraising.

Once I raised the money, Marc picked George Renfro, a designer from his team, to build the prototype. I drove from my home in San Diego to their office in Los Angeles to further discuss my idea with both Marc and George. Shortly after, we had another meeting remotely through Zoom video conference where they asked that I consider changing the app’s original name to make it more marketable, which I did. They also asked that I decide the app’s logo and color scheme. We continued to use Zoom for all subsequent meetings, where we discussed marketing strategies and the progress of the prototype. I was also able to give them my feedback and edits.

After giving them my final edits, George and Marc gave me the final deliverable. Now I’m currently working with Marc to get my URL secured and work on my prototype pitch to present to potential investors.

I work exclusively with Marc and George.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

I found them through reviews online. They had an impressive website and portfolio, so I decided to reach out to them. After speaking with Marc and learning about his personal connection to my app’s purpose, I decided to work with them.

I invested $15,000 for the prototype.

We began working together in November 2016. I intend to continue working with them through the final stages of development.

People who have seen the prototype are very complimentary of it. They’ve told me it looks professional, clean, and calming.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Marc has been incredibly supportive and easy to work communicate with. Despite his very busy schedule, I always get a quick response when I reach out to him, so I never feel forgotten or overlooked. Both he and George are wonderful listeners who are very down-to-earth. They understand what I need and give me honest feedback. They’ve patiently walked me through every step of this process, assisting me in whatever way they can.

They’re very knowledgeable from a technological standpoint, but they always received my ideas with kindness and positivity. They never belittled me; instead, they patiently guided me through the process. We are able to strike a good balance, as I speak to them from a caregiver standpoint, while they speak to me as experienced mobile app designers.

The process is extremely time-consuming, but remain patient and persistent to see your idea come to fruition.

Overall Score They were able to turn my idea into a reality.
    They were very organized and consistent. They never missed a meeting or appointment.
    I’m getting my money’s worth and more.
    They delivered on everything they promised.
    I would recommend them to anyone.

Mobile App Prototype for Social Platform

"Their designers gave us full creative control, constantly offering suggestions before delivering the perfect product."

May - July 2017

Dogtown Media developed and designed the prototype for a social activity and event sharing mobile app and interconnected web platform.

Co-Founder, Social Platform

Dogtown’s approachability made the development experience both comfortable and productive. The products’ quality was far above initial expectations and the team was always available, even on weekends.

I am a founding partner for an upcoming social platform and map app.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

We had a vision for a social activity and event-focused mobile app and website and needed web and app developers to turn that concept into reality.

They built both the website and the app prototype from the bottom up. We have not yet put the prototype into testing or the market for lack of investment capital. The ultimate goal of the end product was to allow people to search for nearby activities or events by location.

Our central conception involved making the mobile app interface look like a globe that would allow people to scan through events across the world, or allow them to zoom in on one specific location. One additional facet of the app was a store that would allow people to sell things in their immediate location, rather than on other generic bulletin board-esque apps and sites.

Additionally, the social capital on the platform would not be dominated by social media stars with thousands of followers, but would instead be determined by the number of views any individual event or activity received. The search function was complex to build because it required the ability to narrow searches not only by location, but also by gender of the poster, as well as other various qualifications. Finally, the events would all automatically dissipate after a twenty-four hour period, to underscore the app’s focus on immediate information and current events.

Our initial meetings were with Marc Fischer [President and Co-Founder, Dogtown Media], and he stayed involved throughout the process. Our project manager, George, led the design team.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

My partner used Google to find three well-reputed app development service providers, and we sent inquiries to all three. Dogtown Media’s approachability and ease of manner made them the clear frontrunner after only our first contact.

We have invested $20,000.

We began work in May of 2017, and they completed the web build and app prototype by the end of July.

Although they have completed the deck, website, and prototype, we are in a holding pattern until we can sign additional investors. Accordingly, we do not yet have any metrics about the success or efficacy of their work, other than our own satisfaction with the products.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They kept us involved at every step of the process and on even the smallest of details. Anytime we wanted to meet with them in person or speak via phone call, they were readily available. We typically communicated through email, although we also held in-person meetings and used Zoom, a video conference app. Their work was delivered on time and their employees were always available, staying in touch via email even if they were away from the office.

During the development process, they provided three different potential styles for the app, and we continued to revise those options until they had a better idea of our vision. Once they latched onto our main concept, they expanded upon it in a truly impressive way, improving our ideas and bringing them to life. Their designers gave us full creative control, constantly offering suggestions before delivering the perfect product.

One improvement would be for Dogtown to offer some kind of non-disclosure agreement at the outset of any project. We had the unpleasant experience of having two large social media companies release products that were nearly identical in design to the prototype of our app before we could officially launch, and that has negatively affected our ability to attract investment capital. Although we do not know whether or not there was any genuine connection between our product and the other companies’ apps—it could simply be a shared vision—but it would provide much greater assurance and peace of mind if Dogtown had thought to offer an initial NDA.

Everything regarding deadlines and communication was straightforward and fast.
    Their highly skilled work delivered a product even better than the one we had envisioned.

Dev of Breast Cancer Screening App

“Dogtown’s feedback and help has been invaluable. … They're collaborative and truly want to be our partner.”

Jan. 2017 - Ongoining

Building an iOS and Android app, Dogtown Media is in the first round of dev that will include a calendar, push notifications, location-services, and other features. Later versions will have global additions.

Lewisville, ID
Corrine Ellsworth-Beaumont
CEO, Worldwide Breast Cancer

The app hasn’t launched yet, but Dogtown is flexible and adjusts to changing demands and requirements. Their team provides useful insight, and they create a positive and friendly work environment while maintaining clear and open channels of communication.

I’m the founder of Worldwide Breast Cancer, an American nonprofit that operates virtually and in 22 languages in 70 countries.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

Our site educates people about breast cancer symptoms and detection options, but we wanted to develop an app to personalize the experience. We needed an easy and understandable way for people to answer simple health questions to assess their risk level and receive customized screening recommendations.

We want the app to integrate numerous features: push notifications/reminders, calendar, location services, self-exam animations and instructions, etc. The app is meant to help women know when and how to perform self-examinations and find locations that provide screening options like mammograms. We’ve developed two animated characters, Mona Lisa and Napoleon, who act as virtual breast self-exam coaches.

Currently, Dogtown’s is working on an iOS and Android app in the first round of dev. We plan to expand this app globally, and Dogtown has experience in internationalization and localization, which we’ll utilize in the future. We also want to develop a future version that’s HIPPA compliant, and that requires a deep knowledge base and experience.

Since I’m a designer, Dogtown mainly does dev, but they also animate some of the visuals in the app. They provide testing and feedback to help navigate any issues that may arise during dev and design. I gave them the screens about two weeks ago, and right now they’re building the first version of the app.

We’ve worked with everyone from the owners to developers. We have a project manager, Miles, and I work with Brianna [UX Designer] on designing the screens.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

We wanted a provider with experience in the mobile health space, and Dogtown came well recommended by many in that field. I contacted Tyler [Senior Vice President], we discussed our organization’s vision and the app, and he supported it. He seemed engaged in our mission, so we decided to hire them.

Our budget is $45,000.

We began discussions in January 2017, and the work is ongoing.

The app hasn't launched yet, but so far, Dogtown’s feedback and help has been invaluable.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

We mainly communicate through Slack and email, and we build in InVision to facilitate comments and feedback. We're happy with the amount of communication, and even though our feature list has evolved since the initial proposal, Dogtown has adjusted well.

Miles keeps us on task and helps us accomplish our goals. He knows how to appease both the tech team and us to make sure things are on time and in budget while still being possible.

They're collaborative and truly want to be our partner. They don’t just develop, but they offer their opinion, which isn't easy to find in a lot of mobile shops. They have great insight in how to make the design intuitive, and they've been supportive in working with me, as a designer, without butting heads.

They don't take themselves seriously, but they take their work seriously. It creates a friendly and united working relationship that our company highly appreciates.

It would be nice if features could be priced instead of phases, but I understand that’s more about the industry and not Dogtown’s specific workflow.

iOS Dev of Apparel Sales App

“[Our project manager] understood my needs and produced exactly what I wanted.”

Dec. 2016 - Jan. 2017

DogTownMedia produced a sales platform prototype. When completed, the iOS app will improve ease of access for customers and consultants.

1001- 5000 Employees

Los Angeles Metro Area
Owner, Fashion Retailer

DogTownMedia’s output – coupled with their flexibility and attentiveness – garner a positive internal response.

I am the owner of a fashion company. Our consultants sell our clothing out of their homes or online.

What challenge were you trying to address with DogTownMedia?

I wanted to create an app that would help sell our product. Our primary platform is Facebook, which isn’t designed for sales.

They designed a prototype that will ultimately allow users to login to our site and find the products they’re looking for. We’re still in the middle phases of developing an iOS app, with no specific integrations with social media or other software at this time.

Our project manager, George [Creative Director, DogTownMedia] was great. He understood my needs and produced exactly what I wanted.

How did you come to work with DogTownMedia?

A friend I trust used them for her business and recommended them.

Our original investment was $15,000.

The bulk of the work was in December 2016 through January 2017. They’re still working on development with us.

We’re still too early in the process for beta testers. The consultants who have seen the prototype are very excited about it.

How did DogTownMedia perform from a project management standpoint?

Communication was very good. We had one video conference, but mostly met over the phone because of my schedule. They’re always great with email responses. Marc [President/Co-Founder, DogTownMedia] and George are both good to work with.

They really take the time to listen to the details, and to make changes. They’re mindful of customer service and satisfaction. They were always flexible and accommodating, and presented a great prototype.

Advice for potential customers?

Make sure you draft a business plan to go along with your app before you start development. That was a key piece I lacked at the beginning.

We went a little beyond our projected build, but they honored our original price.

Design & Dev for Emergency Notification Mobile App

"They're very thorough, they mean what they say, and they're true to their timelines."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Dogtown Media led design and development of a cross-platform mobile app after the initial version was lost. They worked based off of old existing screenshots to recreate and enhance the original app.

Christine Calderon
President, When Georgia Smiled: The Robin McGraw Revelation

Dogtown Media sticks to their promises and keeps internal teams involved and updated. The team communicates clearly and are very thorough in gathering details before and during execution stages. They excel in customer service and asking meaningful questions, and are overall reliable and effective.

I oversee When Georgia Smiled: The Robin McGraw Revelation and the Dr. Phil Foundation. It's a non-profit organization that supports advanced programs for domestic violence victims and children who have been abused and neglected. We don't provide direct service, but we contribute donations to different organizations, like shelters and programs that serve children and domestic violence victims.

What's unique about our foundation is that we provide a domestic violence curriculum, as well as the Aspire News app, which is a potentially life-saving app for victims and even students.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

Even before I started, the Aspire News app was not working. It's supposed to work as a masked app; it looks like a regular news app, and within the app you can put a safe contact. For example, if you’re in a domestic violence relationship and you know things between you and your partner escalate, you can tap the app, and it'll notify your trusted contact that you're in danger. It will also give your exact location.

They actually launched this app in 2013. During that time, the developers of the original app went out of business without telling the foundation. As a result, we never received any of the backend coding or anything like that. The app was eventually deleted from the Android and Apple app stores; it didn't exist anymore. We received different emails and phone calls from victims asking what happened. That's when I reached out to Dogtown Media to see if this was something that they could take over.

I initially had contact with Tyler, SVP of Dogtown Media, and we talked about what was needed. After talking to him and describing what the old app looked like, and sending him what I had in writing, he responded with a proposal and timeline. He guaranteed the location accuracy, which was something I appreciated. Plus, during that time, we negotiated the timeline because October was Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

He gave me a realistic timeline and he also told me where it would be hosted. They are using a hybrid or cross-platform application so that they're able to launch it at the same time for both iOS and Android. They started working on it right away. He came up with a new design and basically gave the app a facelift. We were very excited about how it was going to come out. Since this is still in the works, they haven't provided any other services like marketing or strategy.

We plan to continue working with them for maintenance and updates after the apps have been launched. That's the goal because the initial part of our contract is essentially phase one. Phase two will hopefully be going global and providing translation for the app, as well as different resources. Currently, it only provides national resources. If you're in a domestic violence situation or if you just need help, you can call an 800 number or various shelters.

When we want to go global, the app would be able to identify the nearest resource to the user and get them the nearby help. Hopefully, our communication and relationship with Dogtown continues; they're wonderful to work with. The launch date will be announced on the Dr. Phil Show.

My main contact was Tyler, and he puts me in contact with other members of the team, like designers, whenever necessary, depending on what stage of development we’re in.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

I just looked up developers on Google initially, and they were one of the top ones that came up during my search. I requested a bid from a few different developers. Dogtown Media was quick to respond, and I told them the situation and that I didn't get to save much from the old Aspire app. I shared with them what I had, which were snapshots I found online and snippets of the app from when I tested it out with friends.

I also told them that it didn’t always give the exact location; only the text notification consistently worked. I told them that was something that really needed to be accurate; it’s potentially a life-and-death situation.

I gave them our budget, which was very strict. We were able to recreate the app as a result of a grant that we received from another source.

We've been working with them since August 2017.

What I love about them is they actually involve the company that they're working with. They give drafts in a timely manner. When they say they'll give you the first mock on Friday, they actually mean it, whereas other companies that I've experienced working with would wait until the last minute before saying they're not done with it yet. They're very thorough, they mean what they say, and they're true to their timelines. That's something that's very important for me and for the foundation, too.

When they deliver parts of the project to us, they are functioning, or they’re doing what they can to send us working prototypes. It's in the testing stage at this point. With the work that I've seen so far, I have no doubt that it's going to be successful.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Overall, communication has been wonderful. Tyler had introduced me to whoever was designing, and they tell me exactly what they need. They communicate very clearly. We communicated by phone and email with Tyler and various people linked to different aspects of the project.

Since my background is non-profit and I know what’s needed, or what's important for women or college students to see, I provided Dogtown Media with additional resources that users would want to look into, for that section of the app. That's one thing that we collaborated on. I would also send them content, like quotes or a link to when Dr. Phil spoke on the topic of abuse and domestic violence relationships.

They were very consistent in their communication and checking in, whereas other bidders are interested in the project, but they don't really follow up as much. I appreciated the follow-up. They're very professional, but at the same time, you feel comfortable communicating with them. That's something that I find very unique. Some people explain things to you and it's very techy even though you told them you weren’t a techy person. Dogtown Media explained it to me in a language that I could understand, and so I was able to collaborate with them and be helpful. I appreciate that they're very sensitive to that.

Not at this time. They are very good. Every one of them has been very good throughout this project. I'm sure they are working on other projects, but I feel like they put importance on every project. That's what a client needs to feel—as if we're the only project they're working on. I really appreciate that; not too many companies would really make you feel like that.

Advice for potential customers?

Not at this time. Like I said, they're very thorough. They ask all the questions. They even work at night just to make sure that they have something to present to you, for example, if there’s a meeting in the morning. I would just tell a new client to go for it, talk to them.

Overall Score They're a pleasure to work with. They're laid-back, but at the same time very professional. They know exactly what they're doing.
    They've done everything they said they’d do within the timeline and within the contract.
    They really worked with me. I was very open with them about the strict budget, and they were able to work with us well.
    I haven't seen the completed product, but everything that they said they’d provide has actually been delivered. If I need changes on something, they would respond with something the next day just to see if they captured what I wanted.
    Very likely, I will do that the next time they want to create an app for “The Doctors” or even the “Dr. Phil” show. I want to continue the relationship.

App Development for Information Sharing Startup

"Dogtown Media constantly meets their deadlines and their work is high quality. They take great pride in their work, and it shows."

Throughout the wireframing, front-end user interface design and the back-end coding, Dogtown Media was involved with the entire process of developing a mobile application for the client’s peer-to-peer information sharing platform.

Seattle, WA
Mousa Hamad
CTO, emntr, Inc.

From the start, this client’s main focus was finding a partner in developing their mobile app. Dogtown Media proved to be exactly that partner as their commitment to project deadlines and deliverables made them feel like another member of the company.

I’m the chief technology officer of Emntr, Inc. The company aims to provide a platform for people to do peer-to-peer sharing of information and knowledge.

What challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

We are attempting to address the difficult challenge of developing a mobile app.

Dogtown Media is doing all of the development for our app. That includes the wireframes, focus groups, front-end user interface design, back-end coding, all the way through to the customer journey mapping. For a small startup like ours, having a full-time in-house development team is very cost-prohibitive. Dogtown Media essentially gives us that in-house development team without us having to deal with all the overhead.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

Initially, we did a cost-benefit analysis of an internal mobile app development team versus a company like Dogtown. We determined that using a third-party company was the best move financially and logistically. Then, we researched online for the top development shops in the country. We wanted a company that’s based in the United States and does all their development domestically. After extensive research and multiple rounds of interviews, we settled on Dogtown Media. The thing that I tell everybody is that we weren’t looking for a third-party vendor to build our app. Rather, we were looking for a partner, and that’s what we found in Dogtown. If you were to look at our email exchanges, you would think that we all work together for the same company.

How much have you invested with Dogtown Media?

The amount we’ve spent on the app development is on the high side of $50,000 to $200,000.

We selected Dogtown Media and started the initial phase back in January. But due to us being a startup, we weren’t able to start development until April. Our target was to have the first phase of the mobile app completed in October. Dogtown Media has met all of our deadlines to date because we’re doing it in 2-week sprints. We project that they are going to finish the development earlier than they had anticipated and under budget.

We’ve shown people our prototype, the mockup of the sites, and all the design that Dogtown has done. I honestly have not gotten a single criticism about their design. I have a lot of friends who are in the UX/UI world and a lot of friends who are in the coding world. I can confirm that  Dogtown Media’s work is world-class and top-notch. To me, that’s been the biggest thing. Beyond that, they continue to meet and exceed deadlines, and they continue to come in under budget.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve performed 100% perfectly as far as I’m concerned. The communication has been great and they are on top of everything. We are a startup and the 4 of us all have other jobs. Dogtown Media has done a wonderful job of keeping us accountable to our deliverables while not coming across as too pushy. That has been instrumental in keeping us on time with our development schedule.

What did you find most impressive about Dogtown Media?

It’s the personality, the heart and soul of the company. Those guys all believe in what they’re building. They all love what they do. They take ownership and they take pride in their clients’ work. Dogtown Media delivers a product that is absolutely world-class.

Are there any areas Dogtown Media could improve?

I hate saying this because I've harped on it so much with them. But to be honest, they're just so perfect for us that I don't think they could improve upon anything. One area that works for us but might not for others is the bluntness in their approach. There is an honesty in their feedback and execution to try and keep things on schedule that some might not appreciate, but I not only appreciate it, but also encourage it from them. That's what you want out of a partner that's helping you build your mobile app.

Overall Score It’s a top-notch, world-class experience all around.
    A lot of the times when they’ve failed to meet their deadline, it’s because we didn’t meet ours.
    When you look at what the cost of other development shops out there, Dogtown Media is the best bang for your buck. That’s based on the product that they are delivering and the level of the engagement that they’re providing.
    I referred them to friends and colleagues that have wanted to dabble in mobile apps. I’ve also given referrals for Dogtown when they have put me in touch with their potential clients. I would absolutely stake my reputation on the quality of what they do.

Mobile Mockup Project for Social Startup

"Dogtown provided true leadership for our project."

Dogtown Media contributed to a startup's  by designing their prototype screens, wireframes, mockups, UI fluidity, graphic design, and WordPress site development.

Freelancer

Houston, Texas
Founder, Social Startup

Dogtown Media consistently delivered high-quality work despite an unpredictable schedule and challenging concept. The agency always showed enthusiasm for the project's goals, kept the whole team on track, and contributed energy and imagination to the project.

We have an ambitious approach to trading high-end products via a mobile app. We are still in the development stage of our product.

I am the founder of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

We needed development work for our product.

Dogtown created all our prototype screens, including wireframes and mockups. They helped us work out the details that are essential for its UI [user interface] fluidity. They worked on the graphic design of the app as well and are currently building our WordPress site. They're not doing the development currently.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

We researched their company and spoke to their account representative. We found that person to be very informative with a good sense of what our aim was.

The total pricing has not yet been determined. We're currently discussing this with Dogtown.

The work is ongoing. Our app development stage hasn't yet begun.

I appreciated the patience of their team. My concern regarding working with an app development company was that there might be a cutoff moment in terms of development rounds, and exceeding it would result in additional payment. Dogtown, however, believe in our project, and are interested in the success of the prototype, so they will go the extra mile to ensure it is up to our specifications. We haven't done any metrics analysis at this moment.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

Our account representative has always been available for us. He has been a good project manager, rallying the troops, so to speak, around our requests. He has been the driving force around our app's development. I found that to be the largest benefit in working with Dogtown.

What distinguishes Dogtown Media from other providers?

Dogtown provided true leadership for our project, despite time constraints and very ambitious concepts on our side.

Is there anything Dogtown Media could have improved or done differently?

Some app development companies have a formal, structured organization while others behave more like guns for hire. I can't say exactly where Dogtown would fall between the two extremes, but I couldn't say anything negative about their quality of work. Based on what I've seen so far, in terms of their patience with the client – regardless of how exacting the specifications might be – I can say that they're a standout company, able to take your concept and work with you.

Overall Score I cannot say enough on how great their work has been.
    They've never missed a deadline.
    I'm very pleased with the quality of their mockups and the WordPress site they're working on for Stuffalo.
    I've already recommended them to colleagues.

Mobile Project for Parking Startup

"Dogtown...[was] able to make a better project because of their management and ideas."

Dogtown Media first developed a core iOS app, before also extending the scope of their involvement to include development of an Android app.

Co-founder & CEO, Parking Startup

Dogtown Media distinguished themselves as an exceptional development partner by delivering high-quality work and thoroughly researching the industry. The agency earned recognition for their approachability, responsive communication, and strong sense of organization.

We are an on-demand parking platform that allows businesses and homeowners with vacant parking spaces to rent them in an Airbnb style, to drivers in and around the Los Angeles area. We are called Kirb.

I'm the co-founder and Chief Executive Officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown?

We're working with Dogtown to develop an iPhone app. We're planning an Android one for a later time.

The revenue model is commission-based, and parking time is determined in hourly units. The goal of our startup is to improve parking for people in Los Angeles, and to make spaces that otherwise wouldn't be used, available for parking. We want to make the streets less congested.

The app does a few things that weren't previously possible for drivers in Los Angeles. One is allowing drivers to reserve parking in advance. As an example: if you want to go to the beach on a Saturday afternoon, you can reserve a Kirb parking space several days in advance. That can save you literally hours of time.

The second thing that my company does is to provide an extra revenue source for local businesses. In LA, there are thousands of parking spaces that belong to businesses, and which aren't always in use. We make those spaces available to drivers. The app will also indirectly drive new customers to businesses and areas where parking is in high demand. There's a lot of economic benefit.

It also allows homeowners that have driveways or private parking lots, to make a little extra income. We estimate that a homeowner that is participating in the platform, and is able to lease their space for an average of two hours per day, can make an extra $300 per month doing virtually nothing but allowing us to utilize their vacant space. A business can make more than $1,500 of extra income per month, through the use of only three spaces, at a similar utilization rate.

The team is very involved, not just in the development of the software, but also with the business and market strategy aspects. They've been an integral part in the growth of the company.

Through the prototype development process, as a team (four or five individuals at Dogtown, myself and my partners), we were able to brainstorm a lot of the hurdles that we anticipated would arise in the use of this type of application.

Through the course of the prototype development phase, Dogtown helped us steer around the turns, and anticipate many of the challenges that we might encounter in a fully-functional app. We decided to continue the work with them because of their insight and interest in the concept, and our shared vision.

How did you come to work with Dogtown?

My business partners and I are fairly new to what could be referred to the Silicon Beach community. Most of our relationships, in terms of app and software development, are in the San Francisco area. We wanted to source locally and word of mouth drove me to Mark's [CEO of Dogtown Media] team. I gave Tyler Leonard a call, Mark's business development director. We'd never met before but his name had been given to me by an acquaintance in San Francisco. I explained the concept to him, told him that we were looking at a couple of other companies and freelance developers that would help us develop the prototype.

It came down to Tyler's interest in the project. We pitched the concept to their user interface team. We had a couple of visits to Dogtown's office, and were impressed with the conversations that we had and their staff. It was a no-brainer to choose them.

This is confidential.

We've just finished a prototype, and have received funding for a fully functional app. The product isn't yet launched.

We hadn't had the benefit of pressure-testing this. Dogtown did a lot of competitive research in advance, which was excellent. A lot of time was spent looking at past attempts in this category, why they failed and why they succeeded, and where the white space was. If I could say one thing about Dogtown, it would be about their thoroughness on prospecting the competitive environment.

How did Dogtown perform from a project management standpoint?

Dogtown has been able to bring a lot of insightful market and environmental research to the table. We knew that we were entering a category that has been penetrated by other entrepreneurs. There have been parking apps launched in cities around the country. Our concept was unique though; they saw that, and were able to guide us into new areas and categories that we knew were going to be fertile for innovation. Dogtown defined our concept and goals better and were able to make a better project because of their management and ideas.

What distinguishes Dogtown from other providers?

Mark has a very good vision for identifying gross potential and the shared economy. This is an area that has been exhausted by a lot of developers in the United States. Mark is incredibly gifted at giving sensible counsel to new players in this field. He and his team have been fantastic.

They have introduced us to other interested parties. One of our principle investors is someone who Dogtown identified. They've also introduced us to web developers who have been important in the marketing aspects of the company. Dogtown has been a real partner in all facets of launching a new startup.

Is there anything Dogtown could have improved or done differently?

This is a tough question to answer. They're the one and only company we've worked with in this project. We're still in an early stage. I've been very pleased, generally. They're approachable, responsive and organized. It's hard for me to critique their work. I would be more likely to give them accolades.

The problem with any new partnership is establishing a timeline and calendar, and sticking to it. This is not necessarily a weakness of theirs, but more part of the growing pains of working together on a new project.

As far as I can tell, they have all the human assets necessary for the work that they promised to do. From what I've seen over the past year, Dogtown has a healthy business, and they've been growing in terms of fulltime team members. The people we've worked with a year ago are still there.

iOS Prototype Development for Delivery Startup

"I just love how real and honest Dogtown Media is."

Dogtown Media developed their iOS mobile app for a delivery service. The agency also provides ongoing services for the purpose of adding additional features.

San Diego, California
Meredith Kaloogian
Founder, Mommy Dearest

Dogtown Media constantly impressed with their outstanding work and timely deliveries. The agency's reliable availability and fantastic communication skills made them a valuable development partner, while their transparent feedback produced great results.

We are Mommy Dearest. It's an on-demand sick day delivery service. We offer over-the-counter medicine, natural remedies and sick day essentials to your doorstep in less than an hour. We have three different curated packages. One is a hangover package. The other one is the comeback kit or the lifesaver. That was in a preventative package where when you start to feel your cold coming on you'd order that one. Then we have an all-encompassing package where when you're sick and you feel like you need everything.

I'm founder and CEO.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Dogtown Media?

I wanted to build an app prototype so I could see what I wanted it to look like. I tested out a bunch of apps and combined everything I liked from each delivery service. They helped me understand the tech world, which was nice because I'm totally new to it. They were honest and real about their advice. I talked to many other companies, and they were one that stood out to me.

They provided an iOS mobile application.

How did you come to work with Dogtown Media?

I Googled stuff. I was in San Diego. I wanted an app company in San Diego, and they came up even though they're in Santa Monica. I reached out to them. I was living in New York at the time and planning on moving back to San Diego.

I reached out to bunch of app companies in New York and everyone was standoffish and not willing to help. I didn't know what I was doing, so I needed somebody who was also going to give me good advice and feedback, be honest about what my app should look like, and understanding my company and what I'm trying to do. I spoke to Tyler [Leonard, director of business development and sales for Dogtown Media] for a few hours and he was so helpful. He gave me good advice and believed in my concept.

It was  from $50,000 to $100,000.

We're still in the process of doing a few things. I'm taking Tyler to Ireland for a web summit. It's a tech conference. I was accepted to the alpha program there. We're fixing the prototype and taking it with us.

How did Dogtown Media perform from a project management standpoint?

I'm incredibly satisfied. I love that they're always available. They get back in a timely manner. They're easy to communicate with. I have so many ideas that come to my head, and I write them an email and they add it.

What distinguishes Dogtown Media from other providers?

I just love how real and honest Dogtown Media is. I find that in the world of tech people, many people are competing against each other and you don't know who's being genuine and who's not. I think with them it's refreshing to sit down and have a conversation and know that it's a trusted space and they'll give you feedback from all their experience.

They look out for your best interest, and they're not just trying to take your money. There were certain things I was thinking about doing in the app, and they would say they didn't think it was necessary. It would have cost too much. I didn't find that with any other company that I spoke to. I'm a huge communicator, and I think it's disrespectful when people don't get back to you in a timely manner. I love that about them.

Is there anything Dogtown Media could have improved or done differently?

This is my first encounter with developing an app. I don't have experience with other people. I can't think of a negative thing that I've experienced with them so far.