World-class web & mobile apps development

Django Stars is a full-service software development company that delivers complex web and mobile solutions. We are not just good at coding and launching from-scratch projects - our main priority is to identify the pain points of our customers, and to cure those. We help our customers with the project evaluation, market and competitors research, functionality ideas and development cost optimization.

Django Stars team cooperates closely with clients from the idea phase of development through launch to ensure that the end product will deliver exceptional results. We continue to support them with the project's upcoming challenges such as maintenance, scalability, market promotion, analytics, and others.

Being founded in 2008, we’ve successfully launched numerous projects and continue to work with our long-term partners. Django Stars works with startups, established businesses, the world’s leading brands and non-profit organizations from the US, Canada, Switzerland, UK, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Israel, Singapore, OAE. Our members have a deep expertise in fintech, travel, healthcare, real estate and transportation industries.

Web:

• Geo-based applications

Mobile:

• React Native apps
  • iOS & Android apps
  • Hybrid (Ionic & PhoneGap)

UX/UI Design:

Germany

MONEYPARK

Finance • Switzerland

Overview

MoneyPark is a consulting agency acting as an intermediary for private customers and banks. It uses online tools alongside with "traditional" high-quality in-person advisory to help citizens finding mortgages and insurances that would be the most beneficial in their current situation.

Services: Full cycle software development (backend & frontend), iOS & Android development, QA,  DevOps, support, maintenance.

Review: https://clutch.co/review/custom-development-swiss-bank

Website: https://moneypark.ch/en/

DIVIAC TRAVEL

Travel • Switzerland

Overview

Diviac is a global booking platform for divers. It provides the global choice of liveaboards, dive resorts and dive centers with the option to book and pay at the same place. Diviac enjoys enormous popularity with divers around the globe, uniting over 200 000 divers, 10 000+ dive operators with real-life ratings and reviews, 300+ liveaboards and 900+ destinations.

Services: Full-cycle software development(backend & frontend), iOS & Android development, QA, DevOps, support, maintenance.

Review: https://clutch.co/review/custom-development-scuba-diving-service

Website: https://diviac.com/

SINDEO

Finance • USA

Overview

Sindeo is a modern mortgage marketplace that provides tools, information, and guidance to find the right mortgage and lender. It works with the clients from the very beginning of their home search or refinance to help them research and plan for their mortgage.

Services: Full-cycle software development(backend & frontend), QA, DevOps, support, maintenance.

Review: https://clutch.co/review/custom-pythondjango-development-real-estate-sta...

Website: https://sindeo.com/

DARPEDIA

Marketplace • Jordan

Overview

Darpedia is the largest Arabian networking platform for the house design and renovation that connects homeowners and home experts. It includes both, European and Arabic layouts and allows to connect experts and clients in architecture, interior design, decorating, landscape design, and home renovation in MENA region.

Services: Full-cycle software development(backend & frontend), UI/UX, QA, DevOps.

Website: https://darpedia.com/

CRICKET DUEL

Fantasy Sports • USA

Overview

Cricket Duel is a fantasy sport web application where participants build their own fantasy cricket team. They compete against other fantasy owners based on the statistics generated by the real individual players or teams of a professional cricket.

HAYSTACK INTELLIGENCE

Healthcare • USA

Overview

Haystack Intelligence is the application created to optimize the work of hospitals based on BIG DATA statistics of the patients` and doctors` activity. It allows hospital owners and managers to analyze their expenditures, compare their branches, and check the patients-doctors-productivity ratio.

Website: https://haystackinformatics.com/

Travel• Switzerland

Overview

Diviac Logbook is a social web application for scuba divers to log and share their dives, build communication around dive info, and get diving information. It also serves as an info resource providing the user feedbacks, references of local fauna, diving spots, and tourist companies.

Review: https://clutch.co/review/custom-development-scuba-diving-service

Website: https://logbook.diviac.com/

TAXOFON

Taxi & Transportation• Ukraine

Overview

Taxofon is a complete web and mobile-based solution for building and running a taxi service company from scratch. It covers all the features needed for passengers, drivers, and managers using Android and web application.

Services: Full-cycle software development(backend & frontend), UI/UX, Android development, QA, DevOps.

Website: https://taxofon.ua/

TIMEDOM

Booking & Hospitality• Ukraine

Overview

An online apartment booking platform that connects property owners with potential tenants and makes the booking process easy for both sides.

Services: Full-cycle software development(backend & frontend), UI/UX, QA.

Website: https://timedom.com.ua/

Prototype Development for IT Startup

"Django Stars are good at hiring the right people for the project."

Sept. 2014 - Ongoing

Django Stars built an application that connects users with transportation services. They provided front-end work, quality assurance, and mobile development.

Project Manager, Taxofon

Though business-side bottlenecks prevented a full launch, initial user feedback has been widely positive. Django Stars showed strong technical skills and a fluid, capable project management style. They were able to handle each stage of the project, from implementation to quality assurance.

Our business runs a platform that lets users find taxis and busses for transportation. It's a matching service between transportation services and their customers.

I'm one of the project managers.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Django Stars?

We developed a web service for taxis, and this includes the website front-end, client and mobile apps for the driver, and for the client. We developed the back-end ourselves, but we didn't have the resources for mobile and front-end, so we decided to find external resources that could help us finish our solution.

The scope of the work has included front-end development, mobile development, and QA [quality assurance]. We delegated the front end to Django Stars. They gave us one Android developer, one front-end developer with basic JavaScript and CSS [cascading sheets styles], and one QA specialist. We walked them through our visual designs and the core features of our solution, and they handled developing everything, implementing it and testing it.

How did you come to work with Django Stars?

One of our partners previously worked with them on another project, and he was very happy with it. He recommended we approach Django Stars for this project, too.

It is confidential.

We've been working with them for little more than a year, and we'll continue for at least another year, until we'll have resources for hiring a dedicated team that will work for us on a permanent basis. An internal team is always better than an outsourced one, in my opinion.

We don't have many users right now because we have some business-side bottlenecks, but we are planning to open it to many more users in the near future. Overall, the feedback is good. There were a few bugs, but they were all minor. Our experience with Django Stars has been positive, and we definitely rely on their skills.

How did Django Stars perform from a project management standpoint?

There were some missed deadlines due to the use of an old issue tracking system. In the winter, they hired a new COO [chief operating officer], and he improved the overall experience a lot, and now they're always on schedule. We are currently using JIRA for project management. It's been very helpful.

What distinguishes Django Stars from other providers?

I guess I don't have enough experience with other outsourcing providers to judge this. Django Stars are good at hiring the right people for the project – that much I know.

Is there anything Django Stars could have improved or done differently?

They could maybe motivate some of their staff a little bit more. The Android developer's motivation was great but, on the front-end side, there were moments when I felt that the developer just worked for money and not for the interest of the project itself. You always prefer having someone who actually cares working on your project. You want them invested so they maintain a certain level of work and quality. That's the only thing, and it was specific to only one developer.

Overall Score There were a few minor problems but, overall, it was great.
    Judging by the more recent period with the new COO.

Front-end Implementation for Health Care Technology Startup

"[T]hey're extremely fast."

Django Stars provided front-end mobile development for a mobile app that helped doctors collaborate and easily locate patient information.

Edmonton, Canada
Director of Product

The app implemented 90% of Django Stars' designs, which integrated smoothly with its functional back-end and several third-party APIs. The team impressed with their ability to communicate effeciently, deliver quickly without compromising quality, and meet all project deadlines within budget.

We are creating mobile apps to help doctors in acute care settings collaborate with one another. Our app helps doctors in an intensive care unit discuss patient notes, assign and delegate tasks, so it's kind of like a to-do list, and basically it does this in a secure, HIPAA [Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act]-compliant environment. In a nutshell, that's kind of what we do.

What is your position and responsibilities?

I am director of product. We're small right now, it's just us three co-founders. I'm doing pretty much all of the technical and the design work, and my other co-founders are doing more of the business development stuff. One of the co-founders is actually a practicing physician, so he's got limited time to spare. I'm mostly doing the product design and technology work.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Django Stars?

The way that we have architected the product is, we have a backend API [application programming interfaces] built in Django, and then we have the front-end mobile app, which is built in a framework called Ionic. I ws the one who designed all the screens that we wanted the app to have, the visual presentation and everything. Originally, I was going to build both the backend and the front-end of the application. However, to speed up the process, we decided that I would build the back-end, the Django API, while Django Stars would focus on implementing the frontend screens in Ionic. This allowed me to really focus on the core functionality and ensuring that the logic we had on the backend would work the way it was supposed to.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We had a list of mockups and screens that I gave them. The scope of their work was to build out the front-end screens as quickly as possible. Because we weren't working in perfect tandem, parts of the APIs that they needed for the front-end weren't finished, so they were just kind of subbing in a lot of the functionality, but getting all the screens put in place, getting the layouts correct, and things like that.

They used some third-party libraries as part of building out the front-end, but all the backend stuff was on me. In terms of doing any automated testing, I didn't ask them to. I'm sure if I would have listed that as a requirement, that we wanted an automated testing suite, I think they would have done it. We just figured it would be better to test it ourselves.

How did you come to work with Django Stars?

One of the other co-founders had actually worked with Django Stars previously. They had built an early prototype of the idea before I joined the company. When we were thinking of a way that we could speed up the process, he mentioned Django Stars. We thought the work they did before was quite good, so I thought I'd get in touch with them.

We didn't consider other providers. We pretty much just went with Django Stars because [our chief executive officer] had a good experience with them previously. We knew that they're fast. We also knew that they were familiar with the technology, and they were decently priced. There was not any big incentive for us to shop around.

I would say it's between $5,000 and $6,000.

We haven't expanded the scope of their initial involvement. They finished off what we initially set out for them to do, and I've just been kind of taking it from there. We kind of left it open, and I could see us hiring them again for another smallish, discrete type of project.

I didn't track any specific metrics or anything like that, I didn't quantify their work. However, anecdotally, they're extremely fast. Since most of their work was exclusively front-end development and implementation, we just reviewed the presentation and cross referenced our visual design layouts. For the most part, they were able to implement 90% of the interface we wanted. And it worked well with the functional backend, which was also great.

How did Django Stars perform from a project management standpoint?

They were able to meet all the project deadlines and stay within the budget that was defined initially. We were using Trello for project management, which was our tool of choice. We asked if they would use Trello and they were fine with that. They were actually very accommodating because I know that they have their own internal ticketing system, Redmine, which they use to track all their tasks, hours, and everything. They were accommodating to have all of the actual work and discussions happen on Trello, and then they continued to do their time tracking in Redmine. They were accommodating for us in that regard.

What distinguishes Django Stars from other providers?

The thing that I was impressed or surprised by was just the speed in which Django Stars finished tasks assigned to them. I would queue up what I thought would be several days or a week's worth of work, and I kind of broke it up into weekly sprints. We worked primarily with one developer named Yurislav. I'd queue up his work for a week, and then I'd find out the next day that he had basically finished it all. It was actually kind of a challenge to queue up enough work for them. They just went through it so much faster than I expected.

Is there anything Django Stars could have improved or done differently?

I think maybe a couple of things. They're fairly minor, and I would consider rehiring them in the future, so these are not deal-breaker sort of things. There's a tradeoff to them working so fast. Sometimes, there would be bugs or just some small details that got overlooked. Sometimes, there were some functional regressions, something that worked previously but now it didn't work for some reason. Because we didn't have automated testing, it would only be through me doing a lot of QA [quality assurance] work that I would find this regression, and I would have to post it back to them.

The language and time zone difference added some time to the project, too. If I found a bug, by the time I documented it, recorded the screencast, and sent it their way because of the time zone difference it would be almost 12 hours until they actually tackled it. It just caused a little bit of a delay. I think if they had done a little more automated testing, or just more thorough QA before sending work back my way, I think it would have reduced that lag.

The other thing isn't so much a criticism, but something where I think they could have added even more value. They're the Ionic experts, so I believe they could have pushed back with me a bit. I would spec out a task, and they would complete that task exactly when, in fact, there was probably a better way to do what I was trying to achieve. That's probably a failing on my part. I should have maybe made it clear to them that this is sort of a broad idea. If there's a better way, or if you have a suggestion, then let me know. I'd design a task, and then I'd wake up the next day and it's been done, rather than have a discussion about it, or suggestions and recommendations.

Part of that was just because there was that time delay, and they were small tasks, so maybe they just wanted to plow through them as best and as fast as they could. Like I said, overall fairly minor things, and it certainly wouldn't stop me from hiring them again in the future. If I were to hire them again in the future, I would address those two points with them. That's how I would work with them differently next time.

I definitely would recommend them.

Multiple Development Projects for Marketing and Advertising Firm

"The tools that Django Stars works with and provided us access to, were actually quite good."

Using CoffeeScript and JavaScript, Django Stars provided front-end development for a web application that facilitated product data entry. Their later work involved Python and Django.

Vice President of Application Development, Marketing and Advertising Firm

Users were very happy with the application's usability and functionality, and in-house staff was equally satisfied with the quality of its code. Django Stars' reliable process tools, flexible management, and technical acumen made them a valuable long-term asset.

We have a few different divisions here. One of our largest divisions has relationships with a lot of consumer packaged goods manufacturers. We do photography and profiling or data entry of all the information that you find on CPG [consumer packaged goods] product packaging. Then, we distribute those digital images and data through a variety of methods and to a variety of different companies and retailers, who use those, either in online or print advertising.

I am the VP of application and web development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Django Stars?

We wanted them to create a standalone application for profiling products, or for data entry of information that appears on products. We were swamped at the time with other project work, so we decided to bring in some external resources to supplement our team.

Please describe the scope of their involvement in more detail.

They were responsible for development only, and this is a front-end application. It was all a web browser application. That was everything that they did. We did the back-end, and they developed the front-end in CoffeeScript. We did the design of the application. They also did functional testing of the work that they produced, but we did the significant internal testing ourselves.

We've completed some additional projects with them, but nothing quite as large as that original one. We're also asking them to do maintenance and support. To some degree, we expanded the types of technologies that they were using, because the original application was entirely a browser application, in CoffeeScript and JavaScript. Our other project work that we've asked them to do has been Django-based, so Python and Django, which is one of their core proficiencies.

How did you come to work with Django Stars?

I did Internet searches for contract companies that could build a Django-based application. Then, I picked three or four companies, provided all of the companies with some basic specifications and asked them for proposals. Based on the estimates and our impression of each of the companies, we chose Django Stars as the most qualified.

The original estimate from Django Stars was slightly less than $16,000 but, during the past year and a half or more, we've paid them $80,000 to $120,000. It was a very complex application.

We still use them on a regular basis.

I don't think that I can give you anything measurable, at least I don't have anything that is available. I can tell you that the application works very well, and the users of our application are very pleased with it. Generally speaking, we didn't have any issues with pieces of defective work on the front-end. The work that they've produced when they produced it was fine. I believe that they produce quality work.

I wouldn't say they always remained within budget and scheduled timelines, but I would also qualify that. project specifications can change a lot, and that's just a lot of what we do. Specifications change, and clients' needs change, so I can't say that Django Stars is entirely responsible for the changes.

How did Django Stars perform from a project management standpoint?

The tools that Django Stars works with and provided us access to, were actually quite good. They use Redmine, and we're able to track progress in Redmine. They submit their code and work with us through GitHub. The tools that they provide are good.

Is there anything Django Stars could have improved or done differently?

I think that both of our companies need to do a better job in working through the specifications, and understanding specifications on their side. I believe that any client who is planning on working with them should have their technical requirements fleshed out prior to any engagement with them. I think they would be capable of working with a client that only has a vision of what they want to create, but doesn't really have the expertise to flesh out the functional requirements that would translate that into reality.

There are two kinds of clients. There are people who know what they want, and there are clients to ask you for assistance. I think Django Stars, if they have a client who needs assistance and help with defining their goals, creating the application, they would do a fine job. If you're the type of client, who has very detailed needs, then you need to do a better job of creating the specifications.

Custom Django Development B2B Marketing and Branding Firm

“We were consistently impressed with the level of craftsmanship in their delivered code.”

Django Stars provided a variety of development resources for Pennebaker. The main project involved building a custom portal for a organization with over 20,000 employees worldwide.

Houston, Texas
Director of Digital Media, Pennebaker

Django Stars proved to be an exceptionally creative and skilled partner. They delivered high-quality code that was easy to maintain, along with elegant solutions that showed their dedication to the project. Their thorough testing process ensured the no defective code ever reached end users.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

I work for a branding and marketing firm in Houston, Texas. We work primarily with B2B [business-to-business] companies, and help them with their communications and branding efforts.

I’m the director of the digital group.

Could you describe the business challenges that you were attempted to address when you first approached Django Stars?

We had a client that wanted to build a custom portal for millennials at their company, as a pilot project, but then to export it to the entire company, which has about 20,000 or 30,000 different employees worldwide. We didn’t have the resources available to keep up with the complexity and specified timeline, so we needed to find those resources in a qualified vendor.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement for this project?

It was meant to be a combination of several social media tools. We looked for companies with prior experience working with these tools and digital libraries. It was a little bit vague upfront, as far as what the entire scope was going to be, since it wasn’t entirely clear to us, either. The starting point was a hybrid combination of LinkedIn and Facebook, and a training portal. Other applications were integrated into the portal at a later point, but that was the basis.

The primary technology and service they delivered was custom Python and Django development. We provided all of the visual designs, digital content, and strategy. We worked minimally with them on the front-end build, but they did provide valuable recommendations.

How did you select Django Stars as your solution partner?

I had followed some of their previous work in the open source community, so it wasn’t a tough decision to reach out to them. It was more along the lines of making sure that they were the right fit for this kind of project, and for us as a partner. We originally narrowed it down based on what we thought we wanted for our end-product.

We spent about $75,000.

When was this project completed?

We’ve maintained an ongoing relationship with them. We still use them for maintenance, support, and custom development on a case-by-case basis.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

We actually ended up sharing a GitHub Repo on the project, and they were very collaborative, but they’re also very specific about how everything was coded in a way that was maintainable and reusable. We were consistently impressed with the level of craftsmanship in their delivered code. They didn’t just deliver viable solutions; they were also some of the most creative solutions I’ve seen. It was made evident to me that they put considerable time thinking about the approach before trying to implement something. Their testing must be relentless because rarely if ever had we received defective or inefficient code.

When working with Django Stars, is there anything you’d consider unique about their strategic approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

They were really good about not wasting time building something that they didn’t quite understand, or that wouldn’t clearly accomplish the goals at hand. If it was something as simple as understanding how a mini to mini relationship might work between some data, they wanted to make sure that it was modeled the right way, just to make it that much more flexible and simple. They would take the time to write fewer lines of code, rather than slapping it together and hacking their way through it. They’ve really specialized with Python and Django, and it really shows.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think Django Stars could improve as a service provider?

While their front-end design skills are definitely commendable, they just don’t have the same depth in those areas as compared to their backend development capabilities. Like I said, these guys know Python and Django like the back of their hand. We’ve never come to them and had them be unsure how to solve the problem. Their solutions are always elegant and creative, but the visual design leaves a little something to be desired. But, that’s why we hired them as our primary development partner rather than design partner, so it isn’t a really a criticism because we knew what we wanted going into the engagement.

They’ve always gone above and beyond.

Custom Python/Django Development Online Housing Platform

"They performed very well and consistently exceeded my expectations."

Django Stars salvaged an online reservation platform after a previous vendor failed to complete the build. They continue to perform upgrades and enhancements and lend their skill to new projects.

Founder & CEO, TimeDom

Users responded enthusiastically to the new site’s intuitive design and functional interface. The development experience was also positive, mainly due to Django Stars' responsiveness and straightforward management. The team delivered milestones on schedule and kept lines of communication open.

Could you describe your organization?

The business is an online reservation platform that connects property owners with potential tenants. It's currently running here in the Ukraine, but our goal is to expand globally, if possible.

You're the founder, correct?

Yes. It's my business.

Could you describe the business challenges that you were attempting to address when you first approached Django Stars?

The whole thing began when we hired a different company to develop our website. I had a terrible experience with this first vendor. In fact, I even got into legal proceedings with them during the work. After that, I knew I needed to find another vendor to salvage my website. I found Django Stars through some online research. Based on their website, I felt like that might be a good choice for my site. I reached out to them with my project description and received a proposal within a few days. I admit that I was impressed with what they had to offer, and it seemed like their process was just much more transparent than that of my previous vendor.

Could you describe the scope of work delivered?

It was custom design and development, some testing, and maintenance and support. I basically gave them direction and they'd go ahead and build it out for me.

When was this completed?

It isn't really complete. The site is live but we have continuous projects with them. They're always performing upgrades and enhancements to the site, both cosmetic and functional. The site is very dynamic.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback you've received that would demonstrate the quality of their work?

I don't have any exact figures in front of me, but I can tell you that the reception has been nothing but positive. We've already received a number of compliments about the site design and how much more fluid the entire thing is. Outside of that, they were always on time with their deliverables, and they remained in constant communication with me. It was an overall very positive experience, especially in the aftermath of the first engagement with my previous vendor.

When working with Django Stars, is there anything you'd consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

Their responsiveness and process transparency are the first two things that come to mind. I found myself consistently frustrated with my other vendor because I felt like I didn't always know what was going on and I wasn't receiving timely updates. Django Stars never kept me in the dark, even when things would arise, they'd always update me on their progress. It's all about effective project management, which they have.

Not that I'm aware of, no. They performed very well and consistently exceeded my expectations.

I've already done so several times in the past.

Custom Offshore Development Sports Entertainment Startup

“They really conform to industry best practices, along with being able to provide great insights."

Jan. 2014 - Ongoing

Django Stars developed a custom scalable, Django-based platform to modernize the a sports merchandising website.

Will Harris
Chief Technology Officer, Unleash 12 AG

The platform functions well and fulfills its intended purpose. Django Stars' low-level engineering skills also brought flexibility to the process, facilitating the development of three separate customer websites within a short timeframe.

Could you provide a brief description of your organization?

We’re a startup company active in European football marketing. We basically provide what we call ‘curated fan buying’ for sponsors. We integrate directly with the websites of football clubs, and provide deals for fans. We put together deals on a weekly basis for various clubs. We offer fan discounts on merchandise, hopefully from the club sponsors, and allow them to have interactions with their fans. The sponsors get something from the exposure with the fans. The fans hopefully get a good deal. The club obviously gets a cut of the sales, and we get a cut of the sales.

I’m the chief technology officer.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached Django Stars?

We were basically looking for a new platform. The decision was made that we wanted to go with the Django-based platform, and then we were able to reuse some technology that has been used for other deal sites around the world. We had access to some old code, which had been proven and already deployed and serving customers.

What we were looking for was a vendor able to help us modernize the platform and drive it forward. We have a slightly different model than many deal sites have. We’re not city orientated. We’re not based with any specific a locale. We’re based on a football club. We had some modifications to the model, and to the engine itself. We were looking for a partner that had significant Python and Django experience. Django Stars came to us highly recommended by a close business partner of ours.

The decision to use Django was made before I joined the company. When looking at all the different platform options, from my personal point of view, I’ve had quite good experience in my career with Django and Python. From a performance and software language point of view, I believe Python is the superior choice compared to Ruby. There was absolutely no way we were going to go with PHP. We went with Django because it was a platform on which we had a lot of experience, where we had code available, and we could get some high-quality developers.

Could you describe the scope of this project in greater detail?

We use them primarily for development tasks. We’ve tried to do some graphic design tasks with them, but that’s not where their strength is. They support all of our custom development needs. When we’re looking at a tricky situation, trying to figure how to handle shipping to Russia or something like this, we wanted to have a partner that could approach those situations with prior experience and knowledge. They had a lot of experience from previous projects, so they’re able to bring a broad range of prior knowledge to the table. Plus, all they do is Python and Django development, which made them a great fit for our work.

It’s not like they picked up the newest fly by night technology and decided to make a business out of it. They have a deep foundation of people that program exclusively with Python. That’s also one of the reasons we went with that technology stack, is that it tends to attract people with an interest in computer science, algorithms, and performance optimization. They really conform to industry best practices, along with being able to provide great insights into areas we hadn’t considered.

How did you select Django Stars as your solution provider?

Django Stars was recommended to us by a contact that’d previously worked with them. It’s a Swiss company. These guys had build and expanded a similar platform to ours, so their recommendation was very influential. There was a shared history with some of the technical people in the company who were behind the same startup, too.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this project?

On a monthly basis, we have some full-time developers working for us, which works out to about $6,000 to $7,000 per month.

We have a dedicated team working for us. It’s not like we gave them a project and told them to execute during six months, and then we’re done. Instead, we have an ongoing platform development program. We’re always improving and enhancing the system.

How long have maintained an ongoing relationship with Django Stars?

We’ve been working with them since January of 2014. I personally started working with them in May, really intensively. We did have another partner that was originally in the picture, but we’ve been working pretty much exclusively with Django Stars since June.

We’re not quite at the stage where we’re worried too much about metrics. Right now, we’re more concerned with results. The feedback that we’ve received is that the platform works and fulfills its intended purpose. I can’t really say anything better than that. From my own personal feeling, as the person driving this development, we’ve been able to set up a very effective development process.

We’ve managed to upgrade Django from 1.2 to 1.5. We’ve migrated database content from MySQL to Postgres. We’ve been able to refactor the code base significantly; we actually just finished that this week. We’ve been able to do a lot of low-level engineering, not necessarily related to the end-user experience. This means that we can move forward in the future with much more flexibility. We’ve been successfully able to launch three different client websites. Our ability to launch those three websites in a short period of time has been a large achievement.

I think that communication with an outsourcing team is always a challenge, especially if there’s a differential language aspect. Initially, we had a different development partner that wasn’t fulfilling their obligations and, in retrospect, I would have kicked out the other development partner a lot earlier, and started working full-time with Django Stars much sooner. I could have saved some time and frustration had we made that move.

I’ve found that the communication can always be improved, especially with remote teams. I think that I probably would have started to try to get a grip on that communication problem earlier. Also, the organizational problem with having a second development partner was not optimal, but that’s not something that is a fault or problem due to Django Stars.

Custom Python/Django Development Real Estate Startup

"They’re more than capable of delivering high-quality, tested code."

Django Stars brought additional development resources to a financial startup. Their main project was building a website and tools to help consumers find the right mortgage.

San Francisco Bay Area
Nick Stamos
Founder & CEO, Sindeo

Though the website was only launched recently, Django Stars' low-cost, high-quality work made the development process easy. Their speedy deliveries kept the project moving, and their in-depth knowledge of the U.S. mortgage industry allowed them to offer valuable feedback and suggestions.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

I work for a start-up in San Francisco that is focused on creating a new, better mortgage experience, starting here in California and then ultimately, we hope, [throughout] the United States. We’re about a one-year-old company, with about 20 folks, that has just launched.

I’m the chief executive officer.

The Django Stars relationship came from a set of investors that we have in Switzerland who have used Django Stars in building their business. We were essentially referred to them early on when we started the business. At that point in time, we had no technology leadership in the company, so it made a lot of sense to just to piggyback, and leverage their resources and team that our investors in Switzerland had utilized. We basically needed to find a development resource.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

They’ve been front and center for the development for online platforms. They’ve been primarily responsible for building our website, which includes the ability to build a rate quote tool, and provide clients with pricing and rate information. Also, we’re essentially creating a consumer portal wherein a user can understand where they are in the mortgage application process and all the remaining steps to be fulfilled. While we’ve spent a little bit of time on our end sort of designing what we want, they’ve been the team implementing and building our online platforms. They’ve really been our technical arms.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular project?

Since inception, I would say we’ve spent somewhere around the order of $100,000.

Is this relationship ongoing?

It is. They continue to support us with three or four dedicated programmers.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

We’re just launching, so other than being satisfied with the work that’s been done thus far, and certainly the cost and timing of the deliveries, there really isn’t anything else I could offer. We haven’t really been in market yet, so it’s sort of early to provide any metrics or figures around the user experience and conversions, and things like that.

When working with Django Stars, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach and development methodology?

I’m not necessarily in the greatest position to answer that. Our technology people here that have been working closely with them could probably answer that with more accuracy. I do think that they’ve been very well positioned to deliver our solution since they’d worked on a very similar deployment with some of our counterparts in Switzerland.

They were already up on the learning curve regarding the types of systems and things that are needed in the mortgage industry. Granted, Switzerland is different from the U.S., so being able to piggyback on some of that learning and expertise they already had was great for us. The other side of things is a comparative advantage regarding the economics and billing rates of talented Django and Python engineers. They’re more than capable of delivering high-quality, tested code, and they’re far less expensive than their American counterparts.

I think the most challenging thing is the 10- or 11-hour time difference between Kiev and San Francisco. Perhaps having project management folks themselves here in the United States, in San Francisco or New York, would be ideal. It would be easier from a project management perspective to have their project leads working in our same time zone, rather than having to figure out how to engage across the 11-hour difference, which can be complicated at times. To some extent, that’s just the nature of using offshore developers to augment and support your technology needs.

Custom Python Development for Information Technology Firm

"I was incredibly impressed with the work they did."

Django Stars provided development resources for several large custom projects. They offered included full-stack development, front-end work, and information architecture.

New York City Metro Area
Former Head of Product Development, IT Firm

Django Stars' professionalism and thorough knowledge of both Django and Python enabled them to deliver high-quality work. They delivered every assignment on time, adhered to the agreed-upon budget, and collaborated seamlessly with other developers.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

I don’t work for the company that had employed Django Stars any longer. But, that organization was called Digital First Ventures. It was a part of a much bigger company that owned a lot of newspapers in the United States. We were coming up with new technology products that would leverage the audience and the relationships of the bigger media company to accelerate the growth of these products. We had to come up with a new technology, new websites, new mobile apps, and then deploy them using the audience of the newspaper company.

What was your position?

I was the head of product. I was responsible for product development and life cycle management.

Our biggest problem was that we had a large number of complex projects that we needed to get finished, but had very little additional bandwidth. We didn’t have enough internal resources, to meet our deployment timelines. We started to look for other companies, both offshore and onshore developers, to help augment our team. Django Stars was one of the companies we reached out to. The reason we reached out to them was because they’re primarily a Python development shop. All of our technology was in Python and Django, so they were an obvious choice.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

We got a couple resources from them. One was a full-stack engineer, he did both front-end and backend, and also information architecture. The other guy was a front-end specialist, so he worked primarily on HTML and CSS. The third guy was also a front-end specialist. Their work as really ad hoc. It depended on what client projects were a priority at the time. In general, they helped with most of the technical elements and then finalized designs.

How did you select Django Stars as your solution partner?

We were searching Django development companies on Google, and we came across them. I guess their reputation for Django development is so good that they naturally turn up. They were one of the 20 or 30 different companies we reached out to for development services. We gave them a trial project; in the Django Stars case, they were willing to do a trial project for a week or two, entirely for free. At the time, they said that if everything turned out well then we could then consider bringing them on full time.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this project?

We worked with them for approximately five or six months at about $10,000 a month.

When was the project completed?

[The] most recent project was completed in April [of 2014].

I don’t have specific metrics to share with you. I can say that I was incredibly impressed with the work they did and the professionalism that their developers brought to the table. When we were engaging with them, we had a couple other developers, other offshore companies working with us, so they weren’t the only ones we were working with. I had the best experience working with them compared to the others. Their developers were able to deliver all of our assignments on time and within budget, which is difficult to achieve on a consistent basis in the technology space.

Their overall knowledge of Django and Python was also very impressive. It’s hard to find that many proficient developers at the speed that we wanted because the other alternative we had was to hire people in-house, and we just didn’t have enough people to do that.

When working with Django Stars, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

When you employ an offshore developer, you’re typically assigned a project manager that is then responsible for delegating tasks to internal resources. What I really like about Django Stars was the fact that they granted us direct access to their developers. They would integrate directly into our team. This helped us remain agile and nimble throughout the deployment and testing phases.

I had a very good experience with them. One critique I have for every offshore developer, and this is not specific to them, but it does apply to them as well, is that the communication skills simply aren’t equivalent to their American counterparts. They don’t all speak English. It wasn’t an impediment for us because we could still get work done, but that’s a development item for them to expand in the future.

Custom Development for Swiss Bank

"They’re extremely open and they’re also flexible with our changing requirements."

Django Stars provided additional development and testing resources, helping to build complex custom projects and prototypes.

Chief Technology Officer, Bank

In just two months, the client added 270 new functionalities to overwhelmingly positive feedback. These functionalities and tools allowed staff to quickly address any technical issues reported by end-users. Django Stars offered exceptional deliverables and project management.

Could you describe your organization?

We are a banking service intermediary. We work in three fields, which are mortgage, investment, and retirement or pension planning. We’re an intermediary between customers and banks. We have many projects in the banking industry, and it’s very unclear and obscure to the bank customers, so we help them to get the best projects for their current situation.

We have a mutual situation where our role is to have the customer satisfied with each project, where the bank tries to get the most money out of the clients. So, we developed a solution to get the best deal according to each client’s situation. We have one customer-facing interface. We have many branches, and we advise the clients in investment, using the platform to make the recommendation. We also have an interface with the bank, where they can connect and see associated accounts and other important information.

I’m the chief technology officer.

We needed additional development support. The solution we had in mind is very complex, and we knew we’d need additional resources in order to maintain a steady development pace, even as we began testing the prototypes. It was kind of a pre-emptive measure.

Could you describe the scope of work in greater detail?

They provide custom development and testing. For that process, we have our own tools to make it easier. We have used many of their tools, too. They’re also very active in the sense of preparing the demo, so I just have to come to the demo, I don’t have to take of anything. They organize everything for us and test it to ensure it’s working properly. We come in and evaluate what they’ve done and provide feedback, and then we continue on. That’s essentially the process.

How did you select Django Stars as your solution partner?

I conducted some online research and reviewed Django Stars along with several other companies around the world. I had a good feeling even when I first contacted them, and I went to Kiev, Ukraine, to meet with them in person. While I was there, they showcased a number of their projects and introduced me to their developers, the same ones that’d be working on our own work. I felt very comfortable with their process and their approach, which ultimately led me to hiring them.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this project?

It’s very hard to say. In terms of the website, we’ve probably spent around $500,000.

When was the project completed?

We work on an ongoing, full-time basis. We have six or seven people working full time on several projects.

We make a new release every one or two months, so the last release was after two months. In two months, we had 270 new functionalities added, which is very good. We’ve also increased the speed with which we address technical issues reported by end-users. Feedback on their performance from our team has been overwhelmingly positive, which is also a great sign.

I’m very happy with Django Stars. When we agree on something, they always hold up their end of the bargain. I have never had project management issues with them, ever. They’re extremely open and they’re also flexible with our changing requirements. They’re very personable, too, which is an added bonus.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

I would love to be able to scale up in one day like other developers, but it’s something not possible. Maybe in a crazy big company where you have thousands of people, but here it’s a mid-sized company so, sometimes, it can take a bit longer than you’d like. These guys provide very high-quality code, but to have that same quality on a larger scale would be ideal. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about a loss on quality. It’s not necessarily the fairest critique since they may not want to expand beyond their current base.

Yes. I would recommend them depending on what the colleague needs to do. I would recommend them for Web applications, no doubt.

Custom Development Scuba Diving Service

"They've been very flexible in accommodating our needs, our desires."

Dec. 2012 - Ongoing

Django Stars developed a custom web application to extend Diviac’s platform usability to smaller devices. They also performed monthly support and maintenance.

Joel Perrenoud
Co-Founder & CEO, Diviac AG

Investors and users gave the app very positive feedback for its clean code, fluid and intuitive usability, and contemporary design. Diviac appreciated Django Stars' flexible development approach and customer-focused atittude toward project management.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

Diviac is an online cloud-based platform for scuba divers that allow them to log and track their diving. We're in the process of developing a web application with Django Stars to extend our platform's usability to smaller devices. We'll be offering mobile native apps sometime in the near future. It also functions like a trip advisor for scuba divers. For instance, it offers some detailed information about certain diving sites and locations. It's a place where divers can consolidate all of the relevant and value data they need to have convenient access to.

I'm one of the two co-founders and currently the CEO of the company.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you began the relationship with Django Stars?

It wasn't really a business challenge, per se. It was more of a need. I've been working with Django Stars since December 2012. When we first considered hiring a technology partner, we were preparing to devise and develop our solution for the first time, which meant the very core functionalities. We had our conceptual design and business strategy arranged, but we needed the engineers to build the solution for us.

Could you describe the scope of the work they've delivered over the course of the relationship?

I originally hired them to develop the whole functional platform from scratch. This has been a full-service project, from initial conception to eventual deployment. We've worked together on the visual design of the site, and they've handled the technical implementation. They cleaned, prepared, and migrated all of our data before configuring the entire system and organizing the business logic. They've also been dealing with incremental upgrades and some custom functional enhancements on the backend. We retain them for monthly support and maintenance.

How did you select Django Stars as your solution partner for this endeavor?

It wasn't a very scientific extensive process, to be entirely honest. It began with the technology. We were advised by a trust business associate to build our solution with Python using the Django framework. Once that was decided upon, we began to conduct some research into the leading Python and Django firms. We investigated a number of past conferences and identified the sponsors, and keynote speakers, and then reviewed their sites. We also received a recommendation from another Swiss startup, informing us that Django Stars had a great reputation. We submitted our statement of work and received a very compelling proposal. We invited them to demonstrate some of their capabilities and then proceeded to commission them.

This is some ongoing relationship, correct?

Yes. That's correct. At this point, we've clocked several thousands of development hours with them. We use them exclusively as our development arm and they operate as an extension of our team.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback you've received that might demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

We've received some very positive feedback both from our investors and from our users who see and use the platform on a daily basis: Clean code, fluid and intuitive usability, [and] very contemporary. It's a combination of both factors outside of Django Stars' circle of influence such as design decisions, but also in terms of the custom development on their end.

When working with Django Stars, is there anything you'd consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

First of all, they're very flexible with their contractual arrangements. We've gone back and forth between the pure agile mode of simple per hour, and also fixed project prices. They've been very flexible in accommodating our needs, our desires. They've also been very responsive. Overall, I'm very positive about Django Stars, and I can recommend them without any problem.

Areas we often allude to are the time estimations for various pieces of work. Like many companies and many individuals, they tend to be on the optimistic side and, sometimes, underestimate the amount of time required for certain pieces of work, which is fine so long as there aren't other external dependencies involved.

As I said, that was an area of slight weakness.
    Highly.